home
RSS
5 studies you may have missed
If babies are ingesting both solid foods and breast milk, the immune system can learn the food is safe, scientists say.
November 22nd, 2013

5 studies you may have missed

Here's a roundup of five medical studies published recently that might give you new insights into your health, mind and body. Remember, correlation is not causation - so if a study finds a connection between two things, it doesn't mean that one causes the other.

Breast milk + solid foods = allergy prevention?
Journal: Pediatrics

With up to 8% of children in the United States dealing with food allergies, many parents want to know how they can prevent this condition. A new study suggests that babies who receive solid food while they are breast-feeding may be protected from food allergies.

Researchers tended to find a lower incidence of food allergies among babies who were still breast-feeding when they started eating solid food. Why? Scientists say that if infants are ingesting both solid foods and breast milk, the immune system can learn that the food is safe.

"My theory was that if food allergens - those things that infants become allergic to - aren't there at the same time as the breast milk, the breast milk can't educate the immune system," lead researcher Kate Grimshaw, a research fellow and allergy specialist at the University of Southampton, told HealthDay.

Read more from WebMD

Exercise may help pregnant women quit smoking
Journal: Addictive Behaviors

How to stop craving cigarettes is on the minds of many smokers who want to quit. Earlier studies have established that exercise may disrupt nicotine cravings, but it remained unclear if these findings were true for pregnant women.

Now a new Canadian study suggests that "15 to 20 minutes of walking at a mild to moderate pace is sufficient to ward off cravings," Reuters Health reports.

Researchers looked at 30 pregnant women in their second trimester who smoked more than five cigarettes daily and did not regularly exercise.

Read more from Reuters Health

Helping males procreate - at least, mice
Journal: Science

Biologists have long considered the Y chromosome as a genetic marker for the male sex, but there's still more to learn about it. A new study suggests that there are only two genes on this chromosome necessary for males - at least, male mice - to fertilize an egg.

Since the research was done in mice, it's uncertain how applicable it will be to humans. But scientists said it could potentially help in the quest for male infertility treatments.

It also doesn't mean that the rest of the Y chromosome is useless. Researchers said the entire chromosome is probably needed for normal reproduction.

"We're not trying to eliminate Y chromosomes with our work - or men, for that matter," Monika Ward, a reproductive biologist at the University of Hawaii, told LiveScience. "We're just trying to understand how much of the Y chromosome is needed, and for what."

Read more from Scientific American

Waiting for pain is painful
Journal: PLOS Computational Biology

No one wants to be in pain. But if we know it's coming - say we have to get a cavity filled - we usually want to get it over with fast.

Scientists in London conducted two small experiments with 35 volunteers to find out how dreading pain affects our decisions. Each study participant was asked to choose when they would receive electric shocks of varying intensity.

Most people preferred to experience the shocks sooner rather than later and were even willing to experience stronger shocks if it meant speeding up the process.

"Anticipating pain is unpleasant or disadvantageous, rather like pain itself," the researchers concluded.

Read more from ScienceDaily.com

Skip the excuse: There's no such thing as being 'left-brained'
Journal: PLOS ONE

We can't tell you how many times we've used the "right-brained" excuse to explain why our math skills stink. Right-brained people are more creative and word-driven, while those who have stronger left brains are more analytical and detail-oriented. Right?

Wrong, say scientists at the University of Utah.

The neuroscientists scanned the brains of more than 1,000 people, ages 7 to 29, to determine if there were any truth to the better half hypothesis. They found no evidence to support the myth that people had a stronger side. While certain activities may require you to work one half of the brain more than the other, the two halves would be a good match in an arm-wrestling competition.

"The neuroscience community has never accepted the idea of 'left-dominant' or 'right-dominant' personality types," lead study author Jeff Anderson told The Guardian. "The truth is that it would be highly inefficient for one half of the brain to consistently be more active than the other."

Read more from The Guardian

1. Curtis davenport Sr.

Mrs. Landau, I read your story about the infant that was born three months early due to complications. This child weighed just over a pound and was given a 50/50 chance of survival without complications. I'd like to introduce you to my son, Curtis Davenport Jr. He was born October 27, 1992, atwilford hall medical center in San Antonio, Texas. Due to complications associated with with a high risk pregnancy (twins) , he was delivered early by Caesarian section, with a birth weight of 12 ounces. At the time he was given less than a 10 percent chance of survivor, and even if he did survive we were told he would probably have major complications. Well Curtis just turned 21 and is currently in college. His life has been a challenge but he's has overcome them all, and continue to thrive. To the parents of the child in your article I'd like to say that he is not a premie, he is a miracle. I believe that these children survive because god has a plan for them. So keep your child close and let gods miracle run its course. We will keep you all in our prayers.

November 23, 2013 at 14:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • GBfromOhio

Neat story Curtis. Although I do not subscribe to religious dogma (I don't think a supreme being pulls strings and decides which premature baby lives and which dies ... so God does not "have a plan" for those babies who die according to you?) glad your situation had a happy ending. I have a daughter almost exactly a month older than your son. My wife was having an ultrasound as part of a high risk pregnancy protocol (due to her age), my daughter's heart stopped beating and hospital staff came running in and wheeled her to the operating room for an emergency Caesarean. The high risk OB/GYN said if the test was not run at that precise point in time, we may have lost her.

November 24, 2013 at 12:49 | Report abuse |
  2. chrissy

@ GB from Ohio, per your last sentence of your post, im now more convinced than ever, that yes indeed, God MUST have a plan. My son was born under similar situations as Curtis Davenport's although the end result was quite different! Maybe because the year was 1980 and Drs didnt know as much then as in later years. He is severely mentally impaired, and the greatest joy of my life. And again i believe it was Gods plan. And i attribute my patience to that plan. God bless you both and your families!

November 26, 2013 at 02:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Anonymous

Emergency workers and people work to help passengers from the wreckage of train after two carriages from a high-speed train derailed and fell off a bridge in Wenzhou in east China's Zhejiang province Saturday July 23, 2011. A Chinese news agency says there is no immediate word on casualties. (AP Photo) CHINA OUTBEIJING (AP) ― A bullet train derailed in eastern China on Saturday and two of its carriages fell off a GHD Deluxe Midnight Collection bridge, but there was no immediate word o

November 27, 2013 at 23:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. ???????????

日本鉄鋼工業協会30日発表した情報によると、2007年我が国粗鋼生産48924.08万トンと前年比増加6625,モンクレール ダウン.22万トン、成長15.66%、増幅2006年より2.6

November 28, 2013 at 02:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Sally

I'm making $86 an hour working from home. I was shocked when my neighbour told me she was averaging $95 but I see how it works now. I feel so much freedom now that I'm my own boss. This is what I do, w*w^w . Best96 . c^o*m-

December 4, 2013 at 14:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. zortilo nrel

Hi my family member! I wish to say that this post is awesome, nice written and include approximately all significant infos. I would like to look extra posts like this .

December 19, 2020 at 08:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. zortilonrel

Wow! This can be one particular of the most helpful blogs We've ever arrive across on this subject. Basically Fantastic. I am also an expert in this topic therefore I can understand your hard work.

January 1, 2021 at 21:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Sam Echternach

If you would like to improve your experience simply keep visiting this site and be updated with the most up-to-date gossip posted here.

January 3, 2021 at 22:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Devin Sallings

January 11, 2021 at 01:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Cami Harraden

I likewise conceive thus, perfectly written post! .

January 12, 2021 at 02:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Vergie Carhart

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all folks you actually recognize what you are speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally discuss with my website =). We can have a link change contract among us!

January 15, 2021 at 17:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Marcelle Corliss

January 15, 2021 at 19:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Antwan Lyson

I really enjoy studying on this web site , it contains great articles . "A man of genius has been seldom ruined but by himself." by Samuel Johnson.

January 17, 2021 at 23:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Staci Fylnn

January 21, 2021 at 02:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Colton Guldin

I have been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or weblog posts in this kind of space . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this site. Reading this info So i am satisfied to show that I have an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed. I most indisputably will make sure to do not omit this web site and provides it a glance on a constant basis.

January 21, 2021 at 02:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Hee Lahue

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

January 21, 2021 at 03:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Krishna Rodak

I have learn some just right stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you place to make the sort of magnificent informative website.

January 28, 2021 at 22:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Europa-Road

Do you have a spam problem on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was curious about your situation; we have created some nice methods and we are looking to trade methods with other folks, why not shoot me an e-mail if interested.

February 9, 2021 at 04:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. brujos que hacen trabajos gratis

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is needed to get setup? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very web savvy so I'm not 100 positive. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Appreciate it

February 11, 2021 at 04:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. network installation

This design is incredible! You certainly know how to keep a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Wonderful job. I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

February 21, 2021 at 05:38 | Report abuse | Reply