home
RSS
Study: Kids who drink soda, juice weigh more
August 5th, 2013

Study: Kids who drink soda, juice weigh more

There's a strong link between sugary drinks and obesity. Scientific studies have shown that adults who consume more sugar-sweetened beverages tend to have higher body mass indexes, or BMIs, than their water-drinking counterparts.

But until now, this association hadn't been closely examined in kids younger than 5.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that young children avoid all sugar-sweetened beverages. A new study, published in the organization's journal Pediatrics, offers further evidence to support that recommendation.

The study

Researchers analyzed data from the Early Childhood Longitudinal Survey, which follows more than 10,000 children who were born in 2001. For this study, Dr. Mark DeBoer and his colleagues used information from 9,600 children who were examined at 2 years, 4 years and 5 years old.

The children's parents were asked about their kids' beverage intake, the family's race/ethnicity and socioeconomic status, and the children's television or video viewing habits, among other things. The children's height and weight were also recorded at each examination.

Kids who drank one or more sugar-sweetened beverage per day were categorized as regular "SSB" drinkers. The term "sugar-sweetened beverage" included soda, sports drinks and fruit drinks that were not 100% fruit juice.

The results

Overall, the researchers found relatively few young children who drank sugar-sweetened beverages. About 9% of 2-year-olds, 13% of 4-year-olds and 11% of 5-year-olds were regular drinkers. They found more consumption among non-Hispanic black and Hispanic children and in families with a lower socioeconomic status.

Researchers did not find a link between sugar-sweetened beverage consumption and obesity when the kids were 2 years old. But they saw a different result in their 4- and 5-year-old study participants. Regular SSB drinkers at this age were more likely to be overweight or obese than infrequent drinkers.

The study authors also found that children who drank more than one sugar-sweetened beverage daily at age 2 had a greater increase in BMI by age 4.

The weight results may be linked to other discoveries the researchers made. Children who were regular SSB consumers were more likely to have a mother who was overweight or obese. They were also more likely to watch more than two hours of television a day.

On a side note, the researchers also found that kids who drank sugar-sweetened beverages regularly were less prone to drinking milk, which could "underscore additional nutritional problems," the study authors wrote.

Caveats

The data collected in the Early Childhood Longitudinal Survey are based on parents' answers to questions, so kids could have consumed more (or fewer) sugar-sweetened beverages than parents reported.

The study authors did also not have access to information about the children's overall calorie intake or physical activity, which may have played a role in their weight.

Recommendations

This study "further raises the need for pediatricians and care providers to strongly discourage SSB consumption in early childhood," the authors wrote. "Additionally, from a public health standpoint, strong consideration should be made toward policy changes leading to decreases in SSB consumption in children."

In a complementary editorial, also published in Pediatrics, Dr. Anisha Patel and Lorrene Ritchie say that "to date, most SSB policy discussion has neglected the youngest children." They note that beverage policies have been implemented in many workplaces and a majority of school districts but haven't been introduced in community settings such as day care or park systems.

Patel and Ritchie recommend:

• Establishing healthy vending standards for parks.
• Making milk or water the default for restaurant kids' meals.
• Providing training for child care providers.
• Promoting water in the government's My Plate materials.
• Prohibiting marketing of sugar-sweetened beverages to children.

1. try this

981553 187454I dont normally check out these types of sites (Im a pretty modest person) – but even though I was a bit shocked as I was reading, I was definitely a bit excited as properly. Thanks for making my day 504369

April 22, 2021 at 21:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. ดูบอลออนไลน์

910397 832849I like the valuable information you offer in your articles. Ill bookmark your weblog and check once again here regularly. Im quite certain Ill learn many new stuff proper here! Excellent luck for the next! 99896

May 7, 2021 at 20:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Nicole Litzau

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

May 11, 2021 at 04:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Anabel Lahti

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

May 12, 2021 at 04:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. stornobrzinol

I will immediately seize your rss feed as I can't find your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you've any? Kindly let me recognise so that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

May 13, 2021 at 08:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. stornobrzinol

Pretty! This was a really wonderful post. Thank you for your provided information.

May 15, 2021 at 04:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Tobias Gillmor

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 1, 2021 at 00:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Forrest Tsukamoto

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 5, 2021 at 09:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Thurman Cape

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 7, 2021 at 08:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Meghan Courson

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 11, 2021 at 09:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Thurman Beltre

I don't know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/10/things-with-wings-strange-but-true-aviation-news/

June 13, 2021 at 04:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. 카지노사이트

8643 558628I discovered your blog site on google and verify some of your early posts. Continue to preserve up the superb operate. I just extra up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking for forward to reading extra from you in a whilst! 81898

June 20, 2021 at 05:34 | Report abuse | Reply