home
RSS
MERS unlikely to cause pandemic - for now, experts say
July 4th, 2013

MERS unlikely to cause pandemic - for now, experts say

For the past few months, near-daily reports of new cases and deaths from a new type of coronavirus called MERS raised fears that another pandemic, similar to SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome), was looming.

That's not the case, according to new research from France published Thursday in the British medical journal The Lancet.

A mathematical analysis of the known cases suggests that "MERS-CoV does not yet have pandemic potential," even when looking at the worst-case scenario, according to researchers. They looked at the "reproduction value" or R-value, which is a calculation of  the number of infections caused by one infected person.

If the R-value is bigger than 1, the number of infections will grow exponentially. For example, if 10 people have MERS and the R-value is two, then those 10 people would infect 20 people, and they would then infect 40 people etc., explains Chris Bauch, a professor of applied mathematics at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada, and one of the authors of an editorial accompanying the research.

However, if the R-value is less than 1 - "if for each infected person, there is less than one more infected person on average, then that means the virus has to die out," he explains.

So if you have 10 people initially infected and the R-value is .5, for example,  then those 10 people would only infect five more people and they would only infect two to three people, who then would infect less than one person and the virus dies out.

According to this new study, looking at the current MERS strain - in the worst-case scenario - MERS only has an R-value of .69, less than one, meaning it hasn't reached pandemic potential yet.

Reports of new cases of MERS have slowed a bit. It's been more than a week since the World Health Organization reported the most recent new cases of MERS. Worldwide, there have been 79 laboratory-confirmed cases of MERS infections, including 42 deaths, according to the latest information from the WHO. Health officials "are testing loads of cases and not getting very many positives," says WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl, another sign the virus isn't spreading rapidly at the moment.

However, "we are not out of the woods yet," says Bauch. "This virus could evolve." Viruses are known to mutate, and when that happens, they can spread more easily.

Bauch adds that any kind of seasonal change like colder temperatures forcing people to spend more time indoors around other people - or the upcoming Hajj in October, where millions of Muslim pilgrims will travel to Mecca, Saudi Arabia, and then return home - could change these calculations.

The WHO expects to see more cases of human-to-human transmission during the Hajj and among travelers returning to their home countries, says Hartl.

There are also still other unknowns surrounding this virus. "We don't know how it's being spread," says Capt. David Swerdlow of the U.S. Public Health Service, an infectious disease expert at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. He also says that "right now we may only be hearing about the most severe cases."

What's not known is how many other people may have been infected and show no signs of illness or only have mild disease and therefore don't go to the doctor and get tested.

"The true infection rate will be really important to assess the real risk," say Swerdlow, who heads the MERS response team in the CDC's Emergency Operations Center.

MERS cases originated in Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. France, Germany, Tunisia and the United Kingdom have also reported confirmed cases of MERS, but all of these patients contracted the disease in Middle East before being diagnosed. Limited human-to-human transmission of the disease has also occurred in France, Italy, Tunisia and the UK.

Bottom line, says Bauch, "we need to keep updating the R-value." The study authors conclude their analysis confirms the importance of enhanced surveillance of MERS-CoV infection and an active search for its animal host. Health officials say this is key to preventing a MERS pandemic.

Update: On Friday, WHO gave its latest assessment of the MERS outbreak. Dr. Keiji Fukuda, WHO's assistant director-general for health security and environment, reiterated that "there's a lot we do not know" about this virus. He noted that over the past three months, the number of cases has remained steady: 19 cases in April, 21 cases in May and 22 cases in June.

Fukuda also said that it's very hard to make any predictions; the virus could fade away, stay consistent at around 20 cases per month or become much more widespread.

Given all the uncertainties surrounding MERS, Fukuda announced that the WHO was "proactively" convening an emergency committee next week. This will be only the second emergency committee ever convened by WHO; the first was assembled in 2009 during the H1N1 pandemic.

The committee will be a group of outside experts from all over the world who will provide technical advice to the WHO director-general in the context of a “public health emergency of international concern." The group will include infectious disease experts, virologists, epidimiologists and other public health experts who will review all that is known about MERS.

The experts will have direct access to officials in countries that have already dealt with MERS, without having to go through the WHO. The committee will make recommendations to the WHO on how to proceed and could eventually decide that the current MERS-CoV outbreaks constitute a public health emergency.

1. PHANUEL ODOYO ORWA

HOW SAD WOULD B IF MERS OR CoV RICHES OUR LAND JAST AS AIDS PLIZ DO SOME 2 DESTROY IT

July 5, 2013 at 10:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sharkmann

Or if your caps lock key worked.

July 6, 2013 at 05:12 | Report abuse |
    • Bo

Maybe obama will bring it back from his Africa trip. Then we can worry.

July 7, 2013 at 23:58 | Report abuse |
  2. dupperbob

It isn't moving fast enough from person to person, they can still catch this thing before the zombies dig their way up!

July 5, 2013 at 11:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Patrick

Surveillance is not enough. If we want to truly get at one of the root causes of the evolution and emergence of new pathogens like MERS, we need to address how we treat animals. SARS was traced back to the wildlife trade. For more, check out the book, Animals and Public Health. Why Treating Animals Better is Critical to Human Welfare. It shows how so many of our major heath issues are related to animal treatment.

July 5, 2013 at 19:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. truebob

The sky is falling....and this time we mean it....wait...

July 5, 2013 at 19:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. extortionists

the pleas were rolling in for at least $4 billion to stop the MERS epidemic.....another $4 billion to be sent to the mosques in the middle east in free food aid to be dispersed so another round of 13 years olds can be laying on their backs all day for 10 years dropping 10 kids...pathetic

July 5, 2013 at 23:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Sharkmann

So a non-story is now admitted to be a non-story. My fifty posts saying how lame the scare tactics were now become common knowledge?

July 6, 2013 at 05:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Sharkmann

From apost months age... Whenever there is a new type of flu (or cold) every one freaks out and calls it deadly. The truth is that the regular flu and common cold can be deadly as well and with a new type of bug, only the very sick go to the hospital and get diagnosed with the new type. That makes the mortality rate seem much higher then it really is as people who have no symptoms or mild symptoms will not go to the hospital and therefore never get diagnosed with the new type of flu. If 100,000 people get the new type of flu (or cold) and only ten get sick enough to go to the hospital and 5 of them die, then the death rate would seem to be 50%. No one knows about the 99,990 that got it and were OK as they never went to the hospital and never got tested for the new type of bug. Probably the death rate from this type of infection is the same or less then the older types of flu and cold viruses. Even the huge flu of 1918 would probably not be nearly as bad if it struck today as I am sure that many who died back then died from secondary pneumococcal infections that we can easily treat today as many of them respond well to antibiotics.

July 6, 2013 at 05:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Kim Adrian

I have been suffering for the past 3years, i really tried many prescribed medicine so that i can be cured from this deadly virus but all could not work for me all my prayers to God was to wake up one faithful day and get cured from the virus because i was finding it difficult to work in my office and it was still affecting my family till i came across this Doctor, so i contacted him with doubting mindset but i could not believe it when he helped me with a positive solution and cure my herpes with his herbal cure remedies. You can also be cured if you are suffering from HERPES or any critical sickness that is giving you heartbreak and disturbing your family and job by contacting ..{{robinson.buckler @yahoo}}. com……h t t p s : // robinbuckler . com ............

December 24, 2020 at 09:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. State College roofer

930121 194You understand, a lot of individuals are hunting around for this info, you could aid them greatly. 872363

February 15, 2021 at 03:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Omega fake watch

898388 71120Likely to commence a business venture around the refers to disclosing your products and so programs not just to individuals near you, remember, though , to several potential prospects much more by way of the www often. earn funds 372756

February 27, 2021 at 01:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. 플렉스홀덤

200501 862967baby strollers with high traction rollers should be a lot safer to use compared to those with plastic wheels- 459343

March 14, 2021 at 12:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. replica automatic iwc

12887 991302Beneficial info and outstanding style you got here! I want to thank you for sharing your suggestions and putting the time into the stuff you publish! Wonderful function! 875770

April 28, 2021 at 01:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Otha Liesveld

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

May 10, 2021 at 09:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Shonna Kasula

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

May 11, 2021 at 21:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Clyde Gillard

I don't know about you all but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2008/09/life-vests-who-needs-them/

May 16, 2021 at 15:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Albert Dela

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

May 17, 2021 at 06:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Darren Birrueta

I don't know about you all but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/07/safety-issues-with-koito-seats-cause-industry-wide-issues/

May 17, 2021 at 16:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Christa Coma

I don't know about you all but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/10/video-the-making-of-continentals-blue-skyway-livery/

May 19, 2021 at 02:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Sonya Averill

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

May 20, 2021 at 01:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Damian Scholzen

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

May 20, 2021 at 18:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Shantel Heggen

I don't know about you people but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/01/tupolev-moving-forward-with-new-tu-204sm/

May 21, 2021 at 15:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. replica YachtMaster watches

357542 328204informatii interesante si utile postate pe blogul dumneavoastra. dar ca si o paranteza , ce parere aveti de inchirierea apartamente vacanta ?. 421717

May 21, 2021 at 16:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Harvey Iannone

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

May 23, 2021 at 03:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Carter Kebede

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

May 28, 2021 at 03:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Nakesha Dash

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

May 29, 2021 at 04:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Debrah Heroux

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

May 30, 2021 at 04:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Maryanna Hains

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

May 31, 2021 at 03:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Michel Nord

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

June 2, 2021 at 22:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Marshall Junkin

Rate.

June 4, 2021 at 03:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Ethan Norzagaray

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 4, 2021 at 04:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Palma Bombaci

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 4, 2021 at 23:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Pam Robenson

Automatically point to the eyes.

June 6, 2021 at 23:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Forrest Berdahl

Comment – Larlres Scapet 2633 OO-1220 O-1220, FoundationQuality development factors and new reform

June 9, 2021 at 09:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Caleb Crock

Experts and technological companies provide the best language.

June 11, 2021 at 10:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Barney Zeiser

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

June 12, 2021 at 17:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Dwight Gerst

This is a bit surprising.In 1998

June 13, 2021 at 03:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Ronald Erichsen

I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/07/happy-4th-of-july/

June 13, 2021 at 04:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Numbers Mae

I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/05/lots-of-caffine-100-accompanied-minor-fee-8yr-old-not-good/

June 13, 2021 at 04:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Taryn Knaggs

I don't know about you guys but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/08/taking-a-look-at-an-airline-board-room-working-as-an-alaska-airlines-concierge-part-3/

June 13, 2021 at 18:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. 24h bóng da

Thẳng đá Bóng Ngày Hôm Nay, Liên Kết Coi Trực Tuyến Video Clip Trường Hợptrực tiếp htv7 Trên băng ghế huấn luyện, Lebanon đã bổ nhiệm Ramiro Lopez cơ hội đây 3 tuần. Nhà cầm cố quân nhân viên Tây Ban Nha nhà yếu ớt làm việc tại Ý và từng có thời gian làm việc tại Kuwait.|Và NHM bóng đá Việt Nam đang đợi Minh Trí cùng đồng đội hóa giải đối thủ để tạo lợi thế mang đến trận lượt về sau đây hai ngày. Chelsea đã nên trải qua 8 phút bù giờ nghẹt thở bảo đảm an toàn chiến thắng.

June 13, 2021 at 23:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Lyman Pegg

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

June 15, 2021 at 05:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. W88casino

772205 815304Hey there. I want to to ask a little somethingis this a wordpress web log as we are planning to be transferring over to WP. Moreover did you make this template all by yourself? Numerous thanks. 913899

June 15, 2021 at 06:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. seo training

348871 631511If youre needing to produce alteration in an individuals llife, during i would say the Are typically Bodyweight peeling off pounds training course are a wide path in the direction of gaining any search. la weight loss 472985

June 15, 2021 at 14:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Gerardo Right

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

June 21, 2021 at 18:48 | Report abuse | Reply