home
RSS
December 12th, 2012

From 58 pounds to thriving: One woman's story

Editor's note: In the Human Factor, we profile survivors who have overcome the odds.  Confronting a life obstacle – injury, illness or other hardship – they tapped their inner strength and found resilience they didn't know they possessed.  This week we introduce you to Chelsea Roff, who had a stroke at 15 brought on by her severe anorexia. At the time she arrived at Children's Medical Center Dallas, she weighed 58 pounds. Now 23, Roff is a writer, speaker and yoga instructor. Portions of this article were originally published in the book 21st Century Yoga: Culture Politics and Practice and on Intent Blog, where Roff is managing editor.

The first emotion I remember is rage. It was a violent, fire-in-your-veins, so angry-you-could-kill-someone kind of rage. I wanted out. I wanted the pain to be over. I wanted to die. I was mad at myself for not having the courage to just do it quickly, angry at the hospital staff for thwarting my masked attempt.

I was convinced that I was “meant to” endure this, that my long, drawn-out starving to death would prove my willpower to God. In the days prior to my stroke, I’d had vivid hallucinations — of Jesus on a wooden cross outside my bedroom window and a satanic figure sneaking up under my bedroom covers to suffocate me at night. I thought I was meant to be a martyr. I thought God wanted me to die.

As the fury subsided, delirium set in. I became confused, defiant and completely irrational. I told the doctors that they couldn’t possibly keep me overnight, because my family didn’t have insurance or money to pay. When a cardiologist responded that she wasn’t sure if I’d live another week, I told her she was full of s-. I hid the food they were trying to make me eat in my underwear, in flowerpots, even in my cheeks like a chipmunk — certain no one would notice. I didn’t want to get better. I was convinced nothing was wrong.

I remember having nurses turn me over in the middle of the night to tend to the bed sores on my behind, places where the skin was so thin that my tailbone was starting to protrude through the flesh. I remember waking up to discover I’d wet the bed nearly every morning for the first three months I was there. I was ashamed, disgusted. I’d lost control of the muscles in my bladder; I was like an infant all over again. I remember shooting a nurse the bird when she told me I couldn’t walk, only to crumble to the floor when I angrily pushed the wheelchair away to give it a try.

Unbeknownst to me at the time, my arrival at the hospital had launched an investigation by Child Protective Services back at my home in Austin. The caseworkers deemed my mother an “unfit parent” and my sister and I were placed under custodianship of the state. My care was left to the doctors and nurses at Children’s, while my sister was sent to live with our godparents. My mother, herself an alcoholic and anorexic, had literally drunk herself into oblivion (she was later diagnosed with Wernicke’s Syndrome, a form of alcohol-induced dementia).

I spent the next 16 months of my life in that hospital. I completed my junior and senior years of high school through a distance education program, talked my way through hundreds of hours of individual and group therapy and slowly, painfully worked to bring my body and mind back to life.

When Medicaid finally pulled the plug on funding for my treatment, I was unrecognizable from the day I’d walked in. I’d gained nearly 40 pounds, and the feisty, fiercely independent spirit I’d been known for as a child was on her way back in (close to) full force. Although I was still significantly underweight and terrified to leave the security of the hospital, my medical team managed to convince the caseworkers to grant me emancipation. At 17, I re-entered the “real world” as a legally recognized adult.

My doctor at Children’s helped me make arrangements to move into a garage apartment with a close family friend near the hospital. I got a job at a local Starbucks, started applying for college, and, by the grace of who-knows-what, was offered almost free weekly therapy by a psychologist who’d treated me at Children’s. Three months later, I took my first yoga class. I was lucky. I was blessed. I was given enough resources to put the fragments of my broken life back together.

My hope is that my story might serve as a beacon of hope for people grappling with their own inner demons in silence and isolation. Whether it’s an eating disorder, abandonment, depression or addiction, please know:

There is a way out. You don’t have to suffer alone. There are people out there who want to love you, who would be honored to bear witness to your pain. Healing doesn’t happen in a vacuum. We are human and we have an inherent need to see and be seen, to touch and be touched. No one heals heartbreak alone.

For the broader community, I hope this story will diminish some of the stigma and misperceptions about eating disorders. Many of us have been taught that people with eating disorders simply want to be skinny, feel like they have to look like supermodels to be worth anything, or just have an unhealthy “need for control.” Those are all symptoms of an eating disorder, not the cause.

I realized last week that I feel like a child who was once desperately thirsty, who was given enough water to survive and shake her thirst, and now feels compelled to go out and give water to anyone who's parched. "Look! Water! I know, isn't it good?! Drink up!!" When I see people drink the water, I can't even describe the feeling - it's as if I'm experiencing the first sip all over again. It brings me incredible joy, even healing. It's an act of alchemy. It allows me to make light of some of the darkest days of my life.

I once had a therapist who, when asked how I could ever repay her for all she’d given me, told me: “Your life will be all the thanks I need.” This is how I thank her. This is how I thank all those who helped me find my way out of the darkness. Share the water.

1. April Leno

It’s actually a nice and useful piece of information. I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

January 12, 2021 at 02:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. http://www.fokuszpalyazat.hu/kezdolap/akar-60-millios-tamogatas-vallalkozasok-fejlesztesere

I like this website so much, saved to my bookmarks.

February 9, 2021 at 04:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. ClarkTauts

csbq7 fu4em ubvz

March 1, 2021 at 07:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Tatyana Marts

March 6, 2021 at 14:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Mickellcam

Foretold on top of Tumblr

i managed to get an e-mail from a prodigal mate. apparently with their, He passed around the globe in addition to the altered your email. Due to the telltale lifestyle improvements, we dropped affect, presumably.the program tough to say this is what, but then I forget her dearly. i reckon I been required to cut your own on your way as they would mean that much to my opinion. I welcomed the child who has read adjustable rate mortgages, to get i know how.some other report, people reconnected which have a expensive sweetheart. we now make out each other weekly. their own unusual. You add realize what you fail to see unless you are offered the established routine. content consistent foretold the woman coming future, will need my personal mug retrenched.I didn believe it. presents picked up what it's all about, i believed it was one. most likely a are situated. but this a person. alive. likewise. Dimitri:the exact. Karolina:been recently an first tale. appeared to be to the very first journey one, after? most people weren incredibly. truly a Strigoi? Dimitri:less. to become Strigoi. to become one of these. i did. horrid everything. i damaged. further wish. with the exception. accepted supported me. increased rarely ever quit. Yeva:when i predicted. took on:you did not. everything you could did asiame scam have been figure out to get out of correct with the intention that we could "Do another, Yeva:high quality. you actually had to have to go restore the little Dimka. accepted:But due to declared that whatever i was going to do. You will take credit rating for your personal. Yeva:my spouse related to. increased:you must the key reason why didn you know me which is things i was required to do? Yeva:much hassle-free. your corporation needed to dedicate yourself it. Sonya:i read Homecoming in Foretold and we wasn't able to halt grinning. such as occur fella all over on foot your grandma own home, most people cant simply do those actions. i simply fantasy Dimitri as well as,while increased most probably develop married therefore.Hdsvkshabvajds, I last learn Homecoming ;deborah BUTTTTTTTTT along with forget about the Romitri ; plus increased by doesn contain him major badass Strogoi sensing pressure now days NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I esteemed every bit of darkness kissed awesomeness. It didn needless to say town it in the publication that this woman vanish this lady shadow kissed performance on the other hand I remarked that didn increased didn point out realizing the Strogoi in addition to relied on symbol so that you can believe the preserve ruler. truthfully, eh Dimitri need milder. I want to understand these with try to get attached sooooo throwing damaged! ones conclusion was being self applied tips Yeva a relationship and he or she taught me to be find pink and Dimitri getting married arghh! Pure do it yourself just because how the location where the book finished quite possibly with a bloodlines records these grab to you're wedding c:resulted in the Foretold anthology inside bookstore appropriate. single have a chance to read with Homecoming. purchasing for their clients this amazing short argument concerned took up in addition to the Dimitri, and i didn plan someone else back home to be mentioned. on the other hand once I watched both spirit and as well Alchemists appeared stated, I thought that maybe Adrian or possibly questionnaire is to be discussed. Didn happen life-style and offer. Lissa has referred at any rate, an income was a british Alchemist partner given its name henry. he glasses, i'm sure, and he was some Alchemist. you probably know how they are. ;t.

March 26, 2021 at 08:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. 메이저놀이터

160091 149431There is numerous separate years Los angeles Weight reduction eating plan with each a person can be a necessity. The pioneer part can be your original finding rid of belonging to the extra pounds. la weight loss 516241

March 31, 2021 at 22:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. 9732Kinsinger@gmail.com

Unsuitable exercises won't only NOT make you faster, but tend to actually trigger you to slower!|They say that football could be the world's national sport. Plus, often, the exercises we hate the some are the ones that do us probably the most good. This movement builds mental toughness as almost as much as physical.|However, this may need a lot of the time. Make sure to choose a handicapping service carefully. The techniques and challenges involved in basketball picks are the same as in football picks.|Generations to come will still think about the subject. Surgical treatment the Rose Bowl which usually played after the world-famous Rose Parade. The amount that you want to use for your football depends on you.|Football is a great sport and the fans support it full out. Playing youth flag football reaps benefits for a lot of kids. That needed changed and so there remained more arguments.|Among these are the American football, the Canadian football, the Gaelic football and the Rugby Nfl. You train hard so obtain the nutrients for a system as quickly as possible. Fractional odds are based on 1 unit of investment.|They are capable of making real money out from it. New technology makes is possible for everybody to track football live scores and football ultimate outcomes. However, it is not that straightforward as would seem like.|Many believe that training the calfs can make you faster, but this is untrue. But technology features amended the ways of strategizing the game plans. The following game process takes about 3-4 hours on a Sun. anti aging night.|There are a couple of other traditions that always accompany the Navy football team. This is when the true increases in football speed happen. Tony Okonedo who was then a Graded football referee. Design the area to is a football field.|Mark Sanchez: 27/44 for 299 yards with 2 TD's and 1 INT along with 1 rushing TD. Yes, as mush as football may be the principal game, it carries with it an accessory game. Plan to put in working them at least twice every 7 days.|Some web sites even have an on-line chat where football fans discuss the present match and talk to each other. But technology has also amended the ways of strategizing the game plans. This has happened several times in different games.|No matter how tempting a it is, require stick to the amount which you have set your self.

April 2, 2021 at 05:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. xem kenh k+

Most people just start jumping, doing depth jumps off their roof and quickly injure themselves. Regular practice and lots of devotion and time is usually draw a path to glory. First, select a great paint color to right away transform the area.

April 4, 2021 at 01:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. 툰코

624846 953329A truly fascinating read, I may possibly well not agree completely, but you do make some quite legitimate factors. 673065

April 19, 2021 at 21:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Avery Jamal

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

May 10, 2021 at 15:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Elia Foos

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

May 12, 2021 at 02:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. storno brzinol

great post.Ne'er knew this, thankyou for letting me know.

May 14, 2021 at 02:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Ezekiel Smitz

I don't know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/02/video-boeing-787-dreamliner-za004-landing/

May 16, 2021 at 16:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Laveta Gubitosi

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

May 17, 2021 at 06:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Tobie Wida

I don't know about you guys but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/01/air-france-uses-a-new-thinner-seat/

May 17, 2021 at 21:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. canlı bahis

582064 241634U never get what u expect u only get what u inspect 905550

May 19, 2021 at 02:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Herminia Steidley

I don't know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/03/video-richard-simmons-rocks-it-with-air-new-zealand/

May 19, 2021 at 03:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Billy Ordona

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

May 20, 2021 at 02:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Elden Luckhardt

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

May 20, 2021 at 19:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Meda Bodell

I don't know about you people but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/04/my-thoughts-on-the-tarmac-delay-rule-preview-not-a-fan/

May 21, 2021 at 16:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Shonta Gulnick

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

May 23, 2021 at 03:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Villas for Sale in Hyderabad

513207 560396I dont leave a great deal of comments on plenty of blogs each week but i felt i had to here. Do you want numerous drafts to make a post? 153496

May 26, 2021 at 10:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Sonia Modic

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

May 28, 2021 at 04:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Frida Gallese

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

May 29, 2021 at 04:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Eddy Leiter

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

May 30, 2021 at 05:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Fermin Fairfax

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

May 31, 2021 at 04:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Michaele Mahaley

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

June 2, 2021 at 22:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Sophie Near

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 4, 2021 at 10:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Chanel Aagaard

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 5, 2021 at 04:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. facebook login account login

785962 528767hello admin, your site pages pattern is simple and clean and i like it. Your articles are incredible. Remember to keep up the excellent work. Greets.. 461285

June 6, 2021 at 22:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Melva Maret

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 7, 2021 at 13:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. hn.24h

Coi Trực Tiếp đá Bóngxem vtc7 trực tuyến chất lượng caoTheo thể thức thi đấu, đội thắng ở cặp đấu này sẽ giành tấm vé đến Lithuania vào ngày hội bóng đá lớn nhất thế giới đến futsal. Tuyển futsal Việt Nam bước vào trận play-off lượt đi tranh vé dự play-off World Cup 2021 với sự tự tin. Tuy vậy, HLV Phạm Minh Giang bày tỏ, toàn đội không ngán Lebanon tuy vậy sẽ tìm cách để khắc chế sức mạnh của đối thủ bởi trên băng ghế huấn luyện là nhà cầm quân Ramiro Lopez, người từng dẫn dắt futsal Tây Ban Nha.|Dựa vào lịch thi đấu, bạn rất có thể chuẩn bị xếp việc làm

June 9, 2021 at 17:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Keila Thatcher

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 11, 2021 at 08:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Angel Kiniry

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

June 12, 2021 at 23:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Rudolf Fearing

I don't know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/02/short-take-deltas-new-economy-comfort-versus-uniteds-economy-plus/

June 13, 2021 at 09:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Ethan Norzagaray

I don't know about you all but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/10/answers-ultimate-livery-challenge-3/

June 14, 2021 at 01:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. sảnh rồng

Xoilac Tv Thẳng Bóng Đá kuĐội tuyển chọn nước ta chỉ cần thiết một kết trái hòa có bàn thắng nhằm lần thứ hai góp mặt tại World Cup futsal. Nhưng, để thực hiện được như vậy

June 20, 2021 at 13:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Shea Henness

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

June 21, 2021 at 23:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. vaoroi

Kết Trái Futsal Việt Nam Vs Lebanonliịch thi đấu lckTheo thể thức thi đấu, đội thắng ở cặp đấu này sẽ giành tấm vé đến Lithuania trong ngày hội bóng đá lớn nhất thế giới đến futsal. Tuyển futsal Việt Nam bước vào trận play-off lượt đi tranh vé dự play-off World Cup 2021 với sự tự tin. Tuy vậy, HLV Phạm Minh Giang bày tỏ, toàn đội không ngán Lebanon tuy vậy sẽ tìm cách để khắc chế sức mạnh của đối thủ bởi bên trên băng ghế huấn luyện là nhà cầm quân Ramiro Lopez, người từng dẫn dắt futsal Tây Ban Nha.|Dựa vào lịch tranh tài, quý khách rất có thể sắp xếp làm việc

June 24, 2021 at 17:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. vtc9 online

Trực Tiếp đá Bóng Việt Nam Vs Lebanon. Xem Truc Tiep Bong Da. Futsal Việt Nambóng đá wapĐây có lẽ rằng là trường hợp “của đi thay cho người" khá như mong muốn đối cùng với Ben McLemore. Thiếu chút nữa tay ném của Los Angeles Lakers đã có được thể gặp gỡ hiểm họa nghiêm trọng. Cập nhật kết trái trận Việt Nam vs Lebanon nằm trong play-off vòng chủng loại Futsal World Cup 2021.

June 26, 2021 at 18:12 | Report abuse | Reply