home
RSS
Know how to keep weight off before you lose it
October 30th, 2012

Know how to keep weight off before you lose it

With all the talk about obesity in America, you might be surprised to know that most people are pretty good at losing weight.

Weight loss programs have proven effective in helping people drop pounds. But keeping them off is another story.

Studies have shown that overweight participants typically give up their newly learned health habits and regain 30 to 50% of the weight they lost within one year, even if they participate in a post-weight loss maintenance program.

“There’s something we’re missing in terms of what it takes to maintain our weight,” says Michaela Kiernan, an expert in behavioral weight management at the Stanford Prevention Research Center.

Kiernan is the lead author on a new study publishing in the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology titled “Promoting Healthy Weight with ‘Stability Skills First.’”

Kiernan and her colleagues hypothesized that people would keep weight off better if they practiced doing so first. Their hypothesis was based on social cognitive theory – that having confidence in your ability to do something actually helps you do it.

The study

More than 260 overweight and obese females were split randomly into two groups. Both groups participated in a six-month “intervention” period that included a weight loss program and a weight maintenance program.

In the “weight loss first” group, the women participated in a 20-week behavioral weight loss program, followed by an eight-week “problem-solving” maintenance program. Their maintenance program addressed obstacles the women might face in the upcoming year.

In the “maintenance first” group, the women participated in an eight-week “stability skills” maintenance program, where they were asked not to lose any weight.

They learned how to fine-tune their eating behaviors – savoring food mindfully, for instance, or leaving small amounts on their plate – “to get away from the idea that you’re either on a diet or off a diet,” Kiernan says. That group then participated in an identical 20-week weight loss program.

The results

Both groups lost an average of 16 pounds during the six-month intervention program. But after 12 months, the “weight loss first” group had gained back an average of seven pounds. In comparison, the “maintenance first” group had only gained back three pounds.

Why?

The study capitalizes on two key factors for weight loss maintenance: Confidence and motivation, says Kim Gorman, weight management program director for the Anschutz Health and Wellness Center at the University of Colorado. Gorman was not involved with the research.

Asking “maintenance first” participants not to lose weight during the first eight weeks allowed them to learn important skills without fear, Gorman says.

“I say fear because so many of my folks lose a significant amount of weight and then fear a slight shift upward means the boat is sinking. I think (the study authors) contended with the emotional impacts associated with the scale … in short, they were prepared.”

Gorman was pleased to see that the “maintenance first” group didn’t lose their motivation for losing weight – evidenced by the fact that both groups dropped the same amount in six months.

Kiernan says the maintenance group may have benefited from that early energy. “Most of the time by the time they get to maintenance, they’re pooped,” she says. “This way it’s kind of a protected time to try things.”

Going forward

Because the study incorporated new timing (maintenance first) and new skills (stability over problem-solving) for one group, it’s impossible to tell if one or both was behind the “maintenance first” group’s success. Going forward Kiernan would like to “untangle” those, she says. “Is it the content or the order?”

The researchers would also like to duplicate the study in men and see if technology – like e-mail alerts or online classes – could play a bigger role.

1. juvi

It's very simple really (in theory). In order not to gain back the weight, you have to change your lifestyle. Both dietary and physical aspects. Some of these changes are difficult to implement and maintain, but you have to do it. Simple things like, planning ahead what to eat, keeping a food diary, checking out restaurant menus online, etc are a huge help. After a while it becomes second nature.

October 30, 2012 at 14:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fifi

Juvi, many overweight and obese people are using food to self-medicate - for stress, unhappiness, social isolation. Weight gain will happen unless the root cause of their overheating is addressed.

October 30, 2012 at 16:17 | Report abuse |
    • colenoter

Totally agree, how could you let yourself get that fat. Do something about it.

October 30, 2012 at 20:25 | Report abuse |
    • just me

How do you plan ahead? I was never able to do this even if I try. Any tips? Thanks.

October 30, 2012 at 20:29 | Report abuse |
    • Susan

Just me – I use what I call the "200 calorie rule." I allow myself one treat per day with a 200 calorie limit. I choose the food I want, look at the nutrition info on the package, count out however many cookies/chips/whatever I can have and stay under 200 calories, put them on a plate, put the package back in the pantry, and eat. Absolutely NO eating from the package! If you're at a restaurant and the dessert you want is more than 200 calories, share with a fellow diner or get a take-home box, put half the dessert into it for the next day, and eat half there. Once you get in the habit, it's pretty easy to follow.

October 31, 2012 at 07:47 | Report abuse |
    • shar

Just me- Plan your menus for the week. I prefer to cook several meals with lots of simple components on the weekend when I have the time. Then my family and I can eat them in various ways throughout the week for our meals; combining this with that to make each meal a little different from the one before. Think ahead to where you will be going and what you will be doing. If you will be at work where everyone orders in junk all of the time, make your lunch ahead of time and bring it to work. You can make it the night before even, so you are not rushed in the morning. It may be as simple as portioning out leftovers into a container. Learn to to say no when the carryout menu comes your way. Make sure you always have snacks with you like almonds, fruit, string cheese or hummus. If you have a long afternoon shuttling the kids all over the place, pack a bag/cooler with healthy snacks, wraps or salads. That way, you won't be tempted to hit the drive through. If you work and then go to school at night, pack your meals and snacks and take them with you in a cooler lunch box in your backpack. The key is to think about where you will be for the day, what your food possibilities/temptations will be and to make good, proactive decisions ahead of time in order to prevent you from making poor decisions later when you are hungry, tired and pressed for time. I agree with Susan too. My downfall is potato chips. I count out the number the package says for one serving, put the bag away and leave the kitchen. You will be surprised that usually you will be satisfied with that amount if you eat them slowly and savor them. If you still want more, then repeat the same thing but at least this way you will know that you have now eaten close to two servings. You can count your calories and you have maintained some control; as opposed to scarfing down a whole bag mindlessly and feeling bad about it. I lost 30lbs 7 years ago and I have kept it off by planning ahead, paying attention to portion control and limiting my interactions with certain people in my life who were sabotaging me and influencing me to eat poorly. If I can lose weight anybody can but you have to be ready to make changes that will remain with you forever. BTW, I have very recently lost another 4lbs by increasing my amount of vegetarian meals. I still eat meat, just not as much of it. The jury is still out as to whether I will actually keep it off for good but I am hopeful. I hope this helps you some.

October 31, 2012 at 16:13 | Report abuse |
    • Crocky

Actually, I found this to be fairly easy. I think about what kinds of fruits and vegetables I want to eat and what kind of stews/casseroles I want to cook each weekend when I make up my grocery list (these are my lunches during the week). Then I stick to my list. I record my food and exercise every day on a website I use to monitor those kinds of things, and I dine out rarely. Even when I DO dine out, I make sure that it's at a place where I can see the menu online and plan what I'm going to eat. If it's not easy to record in my food diary, I don't eat it.

10 months later and 111 pounds gone, I'm still going strong. I have 9 more pounds to go until I hit my goal and maintenance mode.

November 6, 2012 at 14:51 | Report abuse |
    • fitbycarrie

Losing weight can be rewarding because things are changing and you're meeting goals. Maintenance loses some of the, for lack of a better word, excitement. That's why I wholeheartedly agree that they key is lifestyle change. A good tool is to write down a list of why you want to lose weight or keep your weight in a healthy range. Whether it's to look good in a bikini or avoid getting diabetes, write it all down and read it every single day. Post it on the fridge and the cupboard. When you have a craving and get that thought of, "Oh, it won't hurt," or "I deserve it," or "It'll make me feel more energetic," look at the list and remember WHY you are going to stop yourself. If you have tempting foods for your family, or a spouse or partner that doesn't support your efforts, it will help you keep your own goals and reasons in mind.

December 6, 2012 at 13:48 | Report abuse |
    • katrinakief

Actually blog is very helpful and it helps people very much to find out their necessary things...........behavioral weight loss programs are introduced to help participants modify eating and exercise habits. Participants are taught to manipulate their environment at home and at work to limit cues associated with eating and to increase cues associated with exercise.

December 8, 2012 at 00:02 | Report abuse |
    • Chris B.

I have lost 210 pounds with no operation and so far kept it off for 3 years. What about restaurants? I do not use them unless I have to and not have any other choice. I prefer to cook for myself due the fact I can look on what I eat.

December 21, 2012 at 14:36 | Report abuse |
  2. Scrape

It's not that difficult. I should have changed my lifestyle years ago. Now that I did, not sure why I was struggling, seems easy now.

October 30, 2012 at 15:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. curious

Great post! How do you get internet under a bridge? Do you really eat children, or goats?

October 30, 2012 at 15:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Keepitmoving

Too many people slack up on the exercise part once they have reached their goal weight. Nutrition is important, but you have to keep up the intensity of exercise you used in conjunction with diet to keep the weight off. My personal trainer told me to keep exercising four to five times a week for at least a year after reaching my goal weight.

October 30, 2012 at 15:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • juvi

why stop at a year? exercise should be lifelong. 30 mins a day, even if it is just walking. A little surprised that your PT gave a limit.

October 30, 2012 at 15:45 | Report abuse |
    • Real Man

Why do you people need a personal trainer to tell you things that are obvious? What were you doing the first 18 years of your life? It was easy to learn that you need to burn as many calories as you consume.

November 1, 2012 at 15:38 | Report abuse |
    • Crocky

Agreed. I still have 9 pounds to go until I hit my goal weight, but I have no intention of slowing down my exercise regime. I love all the stuff I do to stay fit, so why give up something I find to be fun?

November 6, 2012 at 14:53 | Report abuse |
    • Leona

I kept off 80% of the weight I lost (and yes, I'm still healthy/slim ... I possibly got a bit too thin during my diet) mostly due to taking up distance running during the losing process. I fell in love with the sport and now, three years later and 50 lbs lighter, I've run 9 marathons, 10 or so half marathons, countless short races, a 50K ultra and a 50 mile ultra with plans to continue ultrarunning indefinitely. Running has definitely made it easier to maintain my weight loss. In fact, part of the small regain is likely due to gaining some serious muscle in my legs and butt from all the hills, increased mileage and trail running. Not a lot, since women can't put on too much muscle, but some. 😉 Some is that I still very much like food and running like that makes you pretty hungry, some is due to dropping back my cross training/strength training in favor of more miles on the trails.

November 7, 2012 at 08:11 | Report abuse |
  5. Fifi

Self control. It should be taught from birth.

October 30, 2012 at 16:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • juvi

Self Control plays a part, but it is really really hard to eat healthy in today's world. You have to read every label like a hawk, research the restaurant you want to eat out ahead of time (or don't eat out at all), try to limit processed foods, never travel etc One of my main strategies is to order salads without any dressing at all, not even on the side. You'd be surprised the weird looks I get from people.

October 30, 2012 at 17:05 | Report abuse |
    • Todd

If you are more genetically prone to be skinny self control is much easier compared if you tend to put on weight.
      Unlike drugs you cannot give up food, you need it. As you grow older your needs change, often without you realizing it much. By the time you see that it is a problem it is often became a big problem. Your body expects more food, you will feel hungry if you don't eat it, you are out of shape exercise hurts. Compared to someone who is already fit, and finds that they are just a couple of pounds overweight, then they just need some easier corrections.
      You may have the self control to no cry when you have a blister on your foot, however if you step on a nail you will need a lot more self control to not yell out in pain.

December 7, 2012 at 12:54 | Report abuse |
  6. Fran

Hey, I teach the course and after two kids and being well into menopause, "it's all bets off"! We're never sitting still and eat only real food. Feeding my kids enough to feed their metabolism is also a challenge. There's much more to it than these simple steps. And that idiot who abhors fat people; watch out for karma!

October 30, 2012 at 16:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Big Toe Buddha

Diet is the counterpoint to exercise. Diet involves not just selecting food items, but becoming conscious of their caloric content and matching calorie inputs vs. expenditures. You may have tried binge diets in the past but lost momentum and gave up and went back to stuffing your self or drinking six packs of beer. Like many people who have suffered with weight problems, I have gone on and off diet/exercise programs because they were either "too hard" or "no fun" and I eventually caved in to temptation. I have now been on the New-Humans Fitness Program for two years and I am absolutely convinced that I will stick with it through the Singularity when technological advances enable dramatic increases in human longevity.(link). How does the New-Humans Fitness Program differ from others that claim a miracle cure for obesity? The short answer is that it reprograms your operating system. Google "Reprogramming the Human Operating System to Facilitate Weight Loss by Big Toe Buddha" to find out. I look forward to your comments. Big Toe Buddha

October 30, 2012 at 16:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. mdonln

How about enjoyment? Some of us just like to eat. ph – Get over it! I think it's stupid people like you who are disgusting. You know what's taught? Hatred of any group of people for whatever reason. We each get to live our own lives. Some people like to listen to music, run, play golf, read, etc. and other like to eat. A lot of avid bicyclist get hit by cars and runners get injured. Everything has it's risks. I like to exercise and have been injured doing that but I still do it even though I probably shouldn't do it as much and as long as I do. I don't like being told I can't so I would never tell someone they're too this or too that. I think it's so hard to lose weight because maybe the people who say that don't really want to do it. Maybe they're trying to be more accepted – not all these other negative things people say.

October 30, 2012 at 16:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • juvi

look at the French, they LOVE to eat, but the majority are within a healthy weight...why? Because they savor eat bite and don't eat the HUGE portions that Americans eat. They most likely don't eat a lot of 'empty calories, fast food or processed foods' either. Look at America, the typical bagel is 600 calories! If you have a weakness for some types of food, eat it, but use moderation. I used to eat a big bowl of low fat ice cream, not really enjoying it, but now have a very small portion of high end ice cream and savor every bite. I can make a pint last weeks.

October 30, 2012 at 17:00 | Report abuse |
  9. Rene

I lost 45 lbs. seven years ago, and I have only fluctuated about 10 lbs. since then (though I tend to be able to get rid of five or six of it pretty easy). Maintaining it is easy for me because I changed my lifestyle and it's just normal for me now. The problem is, I'm having trouble increasing the caloric drop and exercise beyond what I'm already doing, so I stall in being able to lose more about (I'd like to lose 20 more) Being over 40 and post-hysterectomy, I'm probably having a lot of metabolism issues, so my next step is to try several small meals per day – VERY difficult for me with the kind of business I have, but I know it's the right step. Then adding more weight training to my daily 4 mile walk. I know the weight loss will be slow, but that's how I lost it the first time (45 lbs. in eight months), and I believe that's why I kept it off. Everyone wants to lost 50 lbs. in a month (hell, so do I!), but the other key to keeping it off and maintaining is slow and steady. At least that was my experience.

October 30, 2012 at 17:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • juvi

@Rene, are you doing any weight training? If not, highly recommend, that might be the spark your body needs. A personal trainer for a few weeks can help show you ways that aren't all weight machines and dumbbells....ie Planks, etc

October 30, 2012 at 17:17 | Report abuse |
    • Rene

Hi Juvi,

I mentioned that in my post that I wanted to add weight training. I'm sure that will be the boost I need!

October 30, 2012 at 18:11 | Report abuse |
    • CapnRita

Rene,
      Try a "women's metabolism" multi vitamin. I'm 49 and having good results after adding that.

October 30, 2012 at 18:29 | Report abuse |
  10. RJW

I'm tired of people saying that weight loss and maintaining your weight is so easy. I lost 25 lbs on my own and have since regained all of it. All within a year. I signed up for a weight loss program at a gym. Not only did I not lose weight – I gained weight!! I still have a personal trainer but still am not losing any weight. Nobody helps with the food. All they ever say is eat less or eat this or that. Nobody ever shows you HOW!!!!!!!!!! I have no idea what to shop for or how to eat. I'm a single guy. I don't cook. I don't know how to cook. I eat out 90% of the time. Where are the lessons for those of us that can't cook? How do we lose weight. I'm so sick of this weight loss thing and the people making it sound so easy I would like to punch everybody in the face.

October 30, 2012 at 17:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

Keep a daily log of your total calories eaten. If you're gaining weight each month, lower the total calories eaten each day, not drastically, but some minor amount, like 100 calories less per day. When you start to see your weight going down, ride it down. The people you should probably punch, are the ones selling you diet programs, exercise programs, herbal remedies, thought experiments, feelings, training programs, and other ridiculous quake cures. It's so simple, they have to make up stuff to sell you, to make any money at it. I just told you the answer, for free. Who do you think is right?

October 30, 2012 at 18:03 | Report abuse |
    • RJW

I've done the calorie tracking. It doesn't work. All it tells me is what I ate. So what? It doesn't help me in telling me what I should eat. I did the calorie tracking thing for 2 months straight. Got absolutely nothing out of it.

October 30, 2012 at 18:06 | Report abuse |
    • illusive

I used to be the same way, and before i lost 70 pounds (over a year or so) i learned to cook, learned some recipes that I enjoyed that were rather good for me, learned to spend money that I ate out with on better ingredients (a lot of veggies and chicken). Stopped drinking Soda and learned to drink more water and milk (was hard but really helped). Yes I still eat out a few times a month, but mindfully. After a while you loose all interest in fast food and soda The only thing stopping you is yourself saying "I can't".

October 30, 2012 at 18:12 | Report abuse |
    • Jeannie

RJW, I would suggest an anger management course and some counseling IMMEDIATELY and some major work on stress reduction. The way you sound, anger and stress could be preventing you from losing weight! I understand being frustrated, but your hatred and violence is disturbing!

October 30, 2012 at 18:14 | Report abuse |
    • John

2 months? If you're looking for "lose 100lbs in 2 weeks" cures, you're only going to be disappointed. I'm at my ideal weight, lost 100 lbs, and after 10 years, feel fine, haven't gained it back. 2 months? I'm not selling you anything, no herbal quack cures, no drugs, no "feelings", no unscientific nonsense for $130 for 5 CDs.... whatever they're selling you. Argue with them if their "programs" didn't do anything. On the one hand, they sell you burgers with 1500 calories, then they sell you diet programs... I sold you nothing. I get nothing out of telling you what works.

October 30, 2012 at 18:15 | Report abuse |
    • RJW

@Jeannie – Heck yes I'm angry. I'm angry at how easy people make all of it sound. If it were easy I would have lost weight by now since I've been doing the exercise routine since May and haven't lost any weight – as a matter of fact I've gained 10 pounds.

@John – Calorie counting isn't the only answer. I've had days where I've eaten as little as 600 calories. I starve myself sometimes after I eat too much. Again, nobody help you or tells you about the eating part.

October 30, 2012 at 18:20 | Report abuse |
    • easy

It's easy. Don't eat any more than 1500 calories a day if you are a man and 1200 calories a day if you are a woman.

Try this for 3 months – impossible not to lose weight.

October 30, 2012 at 18:28 | Report abuse |
    • RJW

1500 calories a day? Exactly what are you supposed to eat???? Don't speak in calories. Speak in food!!!

October 30, 2012 at 18:29 | Report abuse |
    • John

RJW, believe it or not, I told you the answer, not because I wanted your money, but because I don't want your money, but actually care about you... like you're me 10 years ago and asking the same thing I would have. I wanted the answer. The answer is you start looking at what you're eating, for the calorie content. Did you know you can NOT eat enough green beans in one day, to gain weight? It's because it fills you up, takes time to digest, and by the end of the day, you lost weight. I would NOT lower calories down drastically, go slow, see how many calories you're eating now, this month, per day, average, and then lower that number some, and start picking lower energy foods... less fat... less sugar... etc... your weight will start going down... but go slow. You won't notice it then. For free... because I care, like I'm talking to myself, 10 years ago.

October 30, 2012 at 18:33 | Report abuse |
    • illusive

The eating part takes the most work, and over many months, I have found that counting the calories only works if you realize what the bad foods/ drinks are, and try to stop eating those foods (Large amounts of Grain(bread, noodles etc...), sugars, salt, greese). The biggest thing that a lot of people ignore is the calories/sugar from drinks, cutting out soda and juice goes a long way. And starvation will never work except on a select few people, when you starve yourself your body goes in a "Lockdown" of sorts and tries to preserve what sugar and fat you have, preventing weight loss. So before going a a weight loss rampage i would suggest learning to cook a little (Even be ok with gaining a little), start by picking a type of food you already enjoy and making it yourself using a good sounding recipe online or in a book, getting an idea for how the ingredients work together. Then move on to the more elaborate things, the internet is a great source of food ideas that are easy and cheap. Look into veggies, poultry, and fish for they are good foods with unlimited cooking possibilities.

October 30, 2012 at 18:34 | Report abuse |
    • RJW

I'm really not trying to be a jerk. I'm just EXTREMELY frustrated. My calorie intake is inconsistent. When I recorded my intake it ranged from 600 on the extreme low to 4,500 on the extreme high. I guess I just wish somebody could give me a menu and tell me exactly what to eat for each meal every day.

October 30, 2012 at 18:35 | Report abuse |
    • CapnRita

RJW,
      "Don't speak in calories. Speak in food!!!"
      I honestly understand your frustration. I am having a great deal of success on the "Pilot's Diet". Yes, it is restrictive and tough, but you are told EXACTLY what to eat on each day. I'm on day 10 and have lost 11 pounds-it is only a 28 day plan, but it takes all of the thinking out of what to eact. I take a multi vitamin supplement to counter fatigue and to psychologically reassure myself that I'm truly not starving. In just those 10 days I do feel much better and am even more motivated to keep going. I still prepare meals for other family members and haven't had the urge to "cheat" because I am seeing results. I know that I will probably have to eat like this the rest of my life, but have already planned a few modifications for long-term maintenance. I can't live without ice cream FOREVER!
      Good luck! If I can do it, you can!

October 30, 2012 at 18:43 | Report abuse |
    • John

RJW, don't do 600 or even 1500... do what you're doing now, average, less a little, like 100 calories less each day. If you're eating let's say 4000 calories average each day, go to 3900 each day for a while, see if you're weight starts to drop, on average. It will fluctuate each day, maybe 3 lbs due to water, digestion, etc... but overall, you'll see the weight start to drop. Just limit to 3900 max each day, if that was your number. Later, lower it a little more when the drop each month fades out. It's actually pretty easy. Pick foods that have lower calories, less sugar, less fat. Sugar is bad news for sure, it's instantly stored by fat cells, then you're hungry soon after it's stored... and you gained weight. I know so much about this, because it's so simple, that I could easily make all kinds of money creating flake diet programs... but that would be mean, rotten, and uncaring... selling myself that stuff 10 years ago. I don't want anything from this, I'm paying back, the people that told me back then.

October 30, 2012 at 18:45 | Report abuse |
    • juvi

@RJW, ok how about this to start...
      1. stop eating out
      2. no soda, only water or coffee/tea
      3. breakfast – 2 eggs, whole wheat toast, fruit (ie orange, not juice)
      4. snack – 1/4 cup almonds
      5. lunch – deli turkey with slice of light cheese on whole wheat toast, piece of fruit
      6. snack – cup of low fat yogurt
      7. dinner – broiled chicken breast, salad no dressing, frozen veg no sauce, brown rice.
      You can alter the proteins (ie salmon instead of chicken breast), have cereal/oatmeal instead of eggs/toast

Try it for a week. Also recommend the book series "eat this not that", have a website too.

October 30, 2012 at 19:11 | Report abuse |
    • RJW

Thank you. I will try that.

October 30, 2012 at 19:23 | Report abuse |
    • Antonio De La Ossa

I would recommend WORKING YOUR WAY DOWN to a low carb diet. Start by cutting out all white food, bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. NOT ALL AT ONCE! First month, no more bread, pasta. Second month no more potatoes, rice. Third month cut out all cheese. Fourth month no more fried food. You will get creative with what you have left every month to work with! Work your way down to no more drinks other than V-8, low fat milk, eggs, bacon, cheese sticks wrapped in deli meat. I have lost 2-3 pounds every month since i started like this and am still loosing weight. P. S. you can have various nuts for snacks too! Keep an eye on the carb content of all the labels of the food you eat! Also add a fiber suppliment when you are down to eating mostly meat and eggs. Don't forget to get at least 30 minutes of exercise per day! Good luck to you!

October 30, 2012 at 20:07 | Report abuse |
    • AngieS

@RJW: I, too, have a terrible time losing weight these days (3 kids, mid 40's, peri menopausal), but I managed to she'd 35 lbs a couple of years ago on the Alli weight loss program. Even if you don't want to take the supplement the diet plan is very healthy, easy to work with and educational. It really helped me learn to put together meals and menus of foods that belong together for complete balanced nutrition that also aids in weight loss as well as portioning. And since the recipes are single serving sized its ideal for individuals but also easily multiplied to feed couples or families or to per-make so that you don't have to cook as often. Just my 2 cents worth but you might like to give it a look, even if you don't take the Alli supplement. Good luck! You're not alone.

October 30, 2012 at 20:34 | Report abuse |
    • tryingtoo

I know exactly how you feel! I lost the weight too..I had to reduce my caloric intake to 1200 calories a day and run a couple of miles in the gym everyday. I lost the 20lbs but I HATED IT - every second of it. I hated counting calories and I hated running - it sucked - it took me a month to gain back what I lost in 6 months and I was so frustrated. Ignore these haters...they don't care about you and they don't understand what it's like to live on 1200-1500 calories a day. What they and the "gurus" don't get is this –we aren't supposed to be carbon clones of each other - not everyone is designed to be thin - do yourself a favor - be healthy - eat healthy foods whenever you can - walk if you can (or something else you enjoy) - and don't worry about the rest. Try to enjoy what you have instead of worrying about what others say your not - screw them.

October 30, 2012 at 23:09 | Report abuse |
    • imagonner

try weight watchers. it really works

October 31, 2012 at 10:29 | Report abuse |
    • Steve

I know what you're going through. I was always a little stocky. When I started a weight training program at the gym, even with regular cardio, I gained 10 lbs. After about 6 months the weight started coming off, but the gained muscle remained. Basically as you add muscle mass you gain weight. In addition all the working out makes you hungry so you eat more as well. After a few months and the added muscle speeds up your metabolism and the weight starts coming off. However, you must stick with the program and you should lift weights quickly! Short breaks, you should be sweating like you're doing cardio.

October 31, 2012 at 10:34 | Report abuse |
    • relmfoxdale

I'm not saying it's easy, but "I eat out 90% of the time." might be the issue here.

October 31, 2012 at 11:33 | Report abuse |
    • ser

try and fruit and a vegetable...dang

October 31, 2012 at 12:27 | Report abuse |
    • Louisa

You have to stop eating out. That's probably your main problem. Restaurant food is so much higher in calories and sodium and other bad things that if all you do is stop eating out, you'll probably drop quite a bit of weight. Saute a chicken breast in a little olive oil, add a cut up carrot and some green beans or cut up cauliflower or whatever you like and simmer it in some vegetable broth as needed. Season with rosemary, black pepper, a little lime juice, some minced jalapeno, until the vegetables are tender. You can make a dozen versions of this dish and be happy. Change up the vegetables, season with garlic and ginger, whatever sounds good to you. Eat oatmeal for breakfast. It's filling and good for you, and you can add water and cook it in the microwave in one minute and 45 seconds. Add just enough honey, brown sugar, or maple syrup for sweetness. Good luck.

October 31, 2012 at 13:28 | Report abuse |
    • Sy2502

"All they ever say is eat less or eat this or that. Nobody ever shows you HOW!!!!!!!!!! "

Ok seriously? You don't know HOW to eat less? Here's how: whatever food you were about to eat, eat less of it. Is it clear now or should we draw you a picture?

November 1, 2012 at 13:12 | Report abuse |
    • Real Man

Gee are you a dumb cow, excuse man. How about this? Learn to cook. Take some responsibility for your life.

November 1, 2012 at 15:32 | Report abuse |
    • Real Man

I have given you a nickname: "Epic Losing"

November 1, 2012 at 15:39 | Report abuse |
    • notesfromthebottomup

Christ on a bike.

Learn to cook. Be an adult and actually learn how to prepare your own meals. It's not difficult – I learned as a child from my father. It's the only way to know precisely what's going into your mouth.

November 4, 2012 at 10:37 | Report abuse |
    • Crocky

But it is if you truly have that drive to get healthy. The problem is that most people that start diets are doing it due to an external motivator (i.e. pressure from a spouse or significant other, "because you're supposed to," etc.). If the motivation comes from within (in my case, I was simply sick and tired of being so fat, sick and tired), it's an easy proposition, and you have more of a chance of keeping the weight off.

I know that it's been easy for me to make the changes I had to make...probably why I lost 111 pounds as quickly as I have, simply through changing my eating and exercise habits. It took me just a little over 10 months, and I just have 9 more pounds to go.

November 6, 2012 at 15:01 | Report abuse |
    • Leona

Have you checked out Spark People?

They have a gizmo where you put in your weight, goal weight, how long you want it to take or how much you want to lose each week. That gizmo gives you your basal metabolic rate plus light activity (sitting, etc.) You then enter your average weekly calories burned through exercise (they also have a gizmo for that) and the site spits out your caloric range. Stay within that range most of the time, eat mostly good food, work out regularly and you'll see some results.

http://www.sparkpeople.com It's free, it works. It takes the guess work out of calorie counting and has lots of useful articles and such that might help you out. There are also easy recipes and tips for eating out and making the best possible food choices when you're not cooking at home.

You're right, calorie counting is useless if you don't know how much you should be eating. I went from about 190 to 135 eating 1500-2200 a day (the higher number is because I took up distance running and was marathon training for a bit of my loss).

Men shouldn't go below 1500. You will have a larger calorie range at first, which will then slowly lower as you get smaller. Eventually it will hit a moderate base level that you'd eat to maintain. I know that now, as an active woman running 30/40 miles a week, I can eat 2200-2400 or so a day and not gain. Men get a lot more calories due to their heavier weights and muscle mass.

November 7, 2012 at 08:22 | Report abuse |
  11. John

When they start talking "feelings" and "training" with no measurements, it's not scientific, and it won't do anything to help you lose weight. Anyone that's lost 100 lbs can tell you, that if you stuff yourself at a meal, where it hurts to get up from the table, you are going to get fat, period. The key is not feelings, the key is lowering your caloric intake, lose a pound a month, or some similar amount, and slowly go down to your ideal weight. Stay there for the rest of your life. It's that simple. It has nothing to do with feelings or training, it has to do with calories and your body using them, or storing the excess, making you fat.

October 30, 2012 at 17:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RJW

Another mindless comment from the eat less police. Provide something relevant!!!! I hate people like you. It's not that simple!!!!

October 30, 2012 at 17:58 | Report abuse |
    • John

See the reply to you above

October 30, 2012 at 18:06 | Report abuse |
    • Crocky

RJW, it IS that simple. I was a couch potato who ate a ton of junk food and got to nearly 300 pounds. 111 pounds gone a little over 10 months later, and it was all just changing my eating habits, creating a calorie deficit and daily exercise.

Using a website like SparkPeople, MyFitnessPal or FatSecret will help you get started.

November 6, 2012 at 15:48 | Report abuse |
  12. reason

Most people do not need more than 1200-1500 calories a day, yet regularly consume that in just one meal. No wonder we're a nation of the obese.

October 30, 2012 at 18:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. leonhl

Part of the problem is that the more weight you lose, the less calories you require. The more you lose, the less you can eat.

October 30, 2012 at 18:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

Actually the more you lose, the less your body will desire as much food. The 100 lbs I lost, I'm not caring around each day anymore. That would be right now, like lugging around a 100 lb bag of cement... exhausting for sure, and because I'm not doing that now, I don't need to eat so much each day to maintain that weight. The "rest energy" or REE also drops... it becomes something you don't even notice anymore... eating less is not even noticed.

October 30, 2012 at 19:39 | Report abuse |
    • grinch

@John, Wrong. Your body fat storage regulating hormone, leptin, says differently. After losing weight, it becomes deficient and your body relentlessly will battle to replenish the depleted fat stores. People who lose weight have both a slower metabolism and increased hunger over people who are naturally thin. The playing field isn't level. If it were easy, then over 90% of dieters would not fail long term.

November 1, 2012 at 08:50 | Report abuse |
    • John

Wrong. 10 years ago I used to 600 calories more per day to not be hungry, at 100 lbs heavier. The rest energy was higher due to all that 100 lbs of fat sitting there wanting to maintain that weight. Short term, I agree, the fat puts up a fight, but long term, it dies off. The diet and food industry hates that I'd say that, but it's true. They want you to buy stuff you don't need, sugar filled drinks, pastries, candy, cakes, and fat filled other foods. The diet industry then comes in and sells you nonsense products that don't do anything. Both industries get rich, as you get fat. Break the cycle... I did, and I feel great. I'm never hungry now, 'cuz I don't eat all that high energy garbage they're selling that makes people fat, nor am I buying drugs, herbs, exercise CDs, equipment, etc... all that stuff they're selling, needlessly. People need to wake up. The "old fashioned" solutions, aren't that, they're "optimum". The "new" solutions they're selling, make people fat, and keep them fat. I'm not buying those... you can if you want to.

November 1, 2012 at 09:23 | Report abuse |
  14. Dizzyd

Sorry, folks! Diets just don't work. Otherwise, why are they always coming up with new ones? And for you trolls who I KNOW have slithered out from under your rocks for your usual dose of fat-bashing (ho hum, how original), insults and adolescent snickering don't help either. I'll keep saying it until it gets thru your thick skulls. For the rest of you, just eat right and exercise; forget what society says you should look like. Love yourself as you are-that's the TRUE path to REAL health!

October 30, 2012 at 18:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Crocky

EXACTLY. That's how I lost all my weight. No surgery, no gimmicks, no trendy diets...just healthy food, weighing and measuring portions and daily exercise.

November 6, 2012 at 15:53 | Report abuse |
  15. Bud

A big problem is that supermarkets sell mostly junk food. Especially items that are labeled "healthy." Read anything by Michael Pollan to learn more.

October 30, 2012 at 19:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • relmfoxdale

They do sell a lot of junk, it's true, but they sell a lot of non-junk, too.

I want to know why "convenient" and "unhealthy" are so inseparable. If I buy a can of beans or something that's ready to cook (rather than soaking them first), they'll have like 10% of my daily sodium intake. For something I'm going to *cook* with and thus season on my own. Why? Are people eating them straight from the can like that? Really?

October 31, 2012 at 11:38 | Report abuse |
  16. jim

Facebook Censors Navy SEALS to Protect Obama on Benghazi-Gate

Over the weekend, Facebook took down a message by the Special Operations Speaks PAC (SOS) which highlighted the fact that Obama denied backup to the forces being overrun in Benghazi.

The message was contained in a meme which demonstrated how Obama had relied on the SEALS when he was ready to let them get Osama bin Laden, and how he had turned around and denied them when they called for backup on Sept 11.

I spoke with Larry Ward, president of Political Media, Inc - the media company that handles SOS postings and media production. Ward was the one who personally put the Navy SEAL meme up, and the one who received the warning from Facebook and an eventual 24 hour suspension from Facebook because Ward put the meme back up after Facebook told him to take it down.

Here's what Ward told me:

We created and posted this meme on Saturday after news broke that Obama had known and denied SEALS the backup they requested.

Once the meme was up it garnered 30,000 shares, approx. 24,000 likes, and was read by hundreds of thousands of people - all within 24 hrs. On Sunday, I went into the SOS Facebook page to post something else and found a warning from Facebook that we had violated Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities with our meme. So I copied the warning, put it on the meme as as caption, and re-posted the meme to the Facebook page.

October 30, 2012 at 19:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. ky

You sound like Hitler. All people have value, regardless of their weight.
    You don't realize that in mid-life, you can only eat about half of what you did in your 20's to avoid gaining weight.
    People gain 20-30 lbs over a decade simply by eating an extra 100 calories a day–that's pretty easy to do.
    Please lose your nastiness.

October 30, 2012 at 19:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. devin

It's funny–the heaviest people I know are also the hardest working, putting in long, long hours (often at desk jobs) to take care of their families. I think your characterization of them as "disgusting" and as "pigs" is flat out wrong.

October 30, 2012 at 19:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Sun

You digust me. And everyone else.

October 30, 2012 at 19:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Jim Weix

Pretty disgusting comment. Skinny women are no great thrill either...all bones and silicone.
    Yes, being overweight must be addressed and not denied.
    However, frank, factual comments will do more to encourage a person, than silly comments.

October 30, 2012 at 20:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Alejandro Villalpando Salazar

I think you are missing a main factor: genetics. In some way of another the body is not used to those weight losses, genetics and many environmental factors determine how far our weight loss will succeed. A skinny gay donesn´t want to be that way, the same happens with obese people. Millions of years of evolution have programmed our body in order to be skinny, chubby, fat, etc. In many way this reduction programs are only paliatives but doesn´t treat the disease itself, because there is no cure for that. Nobody tell us that our brains are wired in different ways, that´s why in most cases people fail a long-term weight loss programm. There are many things we can try to lose or maintain our weight, but the desire for food and the addiction in our brains are untouched. Some scientists are convinced that this war is lost before we can fight it. Food is everywhere, easy available and we will keep sitting in our office in the world we are living... so I don´t think there is a miraculous receipt to this.

October 30, 2012 at 20:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sy2502

These are excuses. Stomach surgery works great to make people lose weight. Do you know why? Because it makes people eat less. Sorry to break your bubble but that really IS all it boils down to: eating less. Unless your body doesn't function according to the well known and established laws of physics, which sorry to say, I very much doubt, energy in and energy out will determine if you lose or gain.

November 1, 2012 at 13:15 | Report abuse |
  22. just me

I bet you are fat.

October 30, 2012 at 20:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Mary

RJW,

Go to TOPS.org and see if you think their program might be helpful to you.

October 30, 2012 at 20:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Liz

4 years ago I lost 150 pounds and have kept it off for 2 years now. I was 55 when I started, now I am 59. I am female. I was never heavy as a child, just started putting on the good old 10 pounds a year when I went through early menopause.
    I never counted a calorie or weighed anything. yes, I worked with a trainer. she gave me a few simple tips. 1. eat many small meals a day. I now eat 6-7 times a day. eat nothing with more than 3 ingredients. shop around the outside of the grocery store. stay away from the middle. no processed carbs. I don't even eat toast now. I eat black beans. oatmeal, sweet potatoes etc.
    i watch my carbs after 5 pm. I drink lots of water.
    RJW, you do have to learn some basic cooking skills: how to bake a potato, how to cook a chicken breast etc. get a few good basic "chicken chili" recipes. look them up on the internet. I make a huge batch every week or so and freeze it in individual portions and take to work for my lunch.
    here's a day in my life
    breakfast: oatmeal with some nuts thrown in and a little honey. a banana
    snack: apple and a cup of orange juice
    lunch: a 2 cup portion of my home made chicken chili with black beans and tons of veggies. an orange
    snack: sweet potato with good quality non sugar added salsa
    dinner: chicken breast and all the broccoli or beans I can eat.
    snack: hand ful of nuts or some egg whites
    I pretty much eat the same thing every day. not boring to me because food is simply fuel. it's reliable and I know what I am getting.
    yes, I eat out, but make good choice. I do have a cheat meal once in a while and oh, yea, don't forget some chocolate once in a while.
    I lift weights 3 times a week but do cardio 4-6 times a week. my doctor has said at my age, I will need to do this the rest of my life. and I am good with that as I now enjoy it. People ask me why i exercise the amount I do and my answer is "because I can". at 300 pounds i couldn't.
    it was a long journey and took me a year and a half. plenty of tears and raw emotions. but I surround myself with people who encouraged me and supported me. I did lose friends over this.
    good luck to you all out there on your journeys. it's hard but keep the end goal in sight. and let's not be so judgmental of others.

October 30, 2012 at 21:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steve

@liz
      I though that was an excellent recommendation for what and how to eat. The edges of the grocery store for fresh veggies and lean meats are key! However, for a male who is also doing weight training I would recommend you're exact diet with a little more protein, especialy in the morning. Possibly using a protein shake, once in the AM with the oatmeal breakfast and once again immediatly following exercise. Its nice to see people posting logical healthy advice to help others make better choices. Its not about how much you weigh, but if you are healthy and taking care of yourself!

October 31, 2012 at 10:45 | Report abuse |
  25. Liz

by eating nothing with more than 3 ingredients I mean processed foods, some of the things I eat have more than 3 ingredients, but I either make them, know what they are or they aren't processed ....

October 30, 2012 at 22:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. JamesFoley

RJW, first calm down. You're sending your body stress signals. That's just a fact. Here's two more... 1. Stress interferes with the body's ability to metabolize, and 2. You're going to gain weight during the first months of your workout. You're putting on muscle, which is heavy. What you want to lose, is mass. Eat 6 times a day, in small increments, except breakfast, which should actually be about four eggs, to increase your metabolism and do lots of cardio and planks. You'll be fine and lkose it in roughly 6 months. Good luck, fromone former shlubb to another.

October 30, 2012 at 22:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. John

RJW, you did ask about "what" to eat, I mentioned green beans as an example, that no one can eat enough green beans to gain weight in a day, they'll actually lose weight if they try it. That is an example how "what" you're eating, impacts all this. Another example, if you eat a 2 lb bag of M&M's each day, I guarantee you, you will get fat rapidly, because your body will extract out all those excess calories in the sugar, store it in the fat cells, and you're left hungry soon after. The ads on TV saying to eat a candy bar to tide you over until dinner... it goes right to your fat cells, then you eat dinner because you're hungry, and you again gain weight. I'm not saying to eat only green beans, or to never eat candy, but just that the trend is there for what you're eating, to help you lose weight, or gain it... which ever you want, or don't care enough about to consider when making choices for what to eat. The last item... it's OK to be hungry a little during the day, if you just have to fill up on candy, but you won't be, if you fill up on lower calorie foods, that are actually better for you. See ya

October 31, 2012 at 03:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. skinnier guy

RJW: read up on gluten-free and high protein diets. After quitting wheat, dairy, potatoes and most sugar, while drinking mostly water, and exercising only a few minutes a day, I lost 30 pounds in less than a year. Once you commit to quitting wheat and other gluten products, the weight melts away. Also, go organic when possible. Scientists are discovering that many non-organic food additives, pesticides and packaging chemicals are "obeseogens" that encourage weight gain and hinder weight loss. Good luck!

October 31, 2012 at 07:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. juvi

@RJW...had another suggestion and if you eat out a lot this probably won't be a financial strain. Join Seattle Sutton for 1 month. This is program that provides prepared healthy meals, delivered to your do, I believe it's weekly. You get breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not only will this alleviate you from doing any cooking, but will help educate you on proper portion sizes and types of healthy food. All their food is simple and can easily be recreated. It may seem pricey, but believe me, it will be the best 1 month of $$ you'll ever spend. I think the website is http://www.seattlesutton.com
    Hope this all helps and wish you sucess!

October 31, 2012 at 10:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. NottinghamFred

Am I missing something? Couldn't the difference between the two groups be that the "maintenance first" group had less time to gain their weight back?

October 31, 2012 at 12:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. ser

don't give this jag off the attention he so desperately needs...its quite obvious that he is just trying to get arise out of people....this person is surely a pathetic waste of whatever.

October 31, 2012 at 12:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Todd

It's not about the amount of food you eat, it's what type of food. I lost 55 pounds and kept it off by getting rid of: sugar, wheat, oats, rice, potatoes and corn and anything made from those.

Stick to meat & fish, raw nuts, leafy greens, veggies and a small amount of fruit, but just those that aren't high in sugar (stay away from pineapple, banana and the like). Eat real foods, not processed foods.

Research the paleo diet and change your lifestyle.

October 31, 2012 at 14:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

Paleo all the way! I wish I had found this lifestyle earlier, like in college! Nothing like just stuffing my face full of meat and veggies. People who still eat the S.A.D. way don't get why I can eat so much and still be lean. If only they'd actually listen to what I tell them...

October 31, 2012 at 21:01 | Report abuse |
  33. Victor

The one thing which has always helped me is to simply – if possible – not introduce food into the home which I know I will find addictive. This, of couse, is easier for somebody who lives alone, but if you can get the cooperation of your family/SO this is the way to go. Chances are if you love chips and you have a big bag of chips in the house, you're going to eat more than you should anytime you get bored or stressed – so the only practical solution is to not introduce chips into the house. It has definitely worked for me.

October 31, 2012 at 15:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. David

I realized you need a few things to get the motivation to keep the weight off. I make bets with friends. The last thing I want to do is owe someone else money for being fat! I hardly exercise but have lost about 25-30lbs over the course of the year and kept it off by not eating processed food. I eat TONS of meat and veggies. Fairly low carb but still cheat. Just give up the crap and eat wholesome food! It's not that hard! I actually went Paleo and that was it. I love meat, veggies, raw nuts. Don't get me wrong, I cheat once a week at one meal only. Read either TIm Ferris' "4hr Body" or Mark Sisson's "21 Day Challenge". I'm in better shape now than when I was in high school and I'm Thirty now! Hooray for Paleo!

October 31, 2012 at 20:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. grinch

The reason people gain the weight back is because of a hormone called 'leptin'. It is the 'set point' hormone where when you are weight-reduced, your body will increase your hunger to compensate. Sometimes the effect is so subtle that you don't realize it until you have packed on the pounds again, even if you continue exercising. You will simply compensate for the exercise by eating more.

November 1, 2012 at 08:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

Short term, yes. Long term, no. The fat cells die over time... learn something new every day...

November 1, 2012 at 09:46 | Report abuse |
    • Sy2502

Yes more often than not, if you are trying to lose weight you'll go hungry. Nobody said it was going to be a walk in the park. Deal with it. As you make eating less a habit, your body will adjust to smaller portions.

November 1, 2012 at 13:17 | Report abuse |
  36. Donna Campbell

Liz and some other's comments above are absolutely correct. All these fad diets, no carb diets, no fat diets, etc are just gimmicks and they are never going to work long term. I am the "diet" queen of all time falling for everything from diet pills that promise you will lose 10 lbs in a week, grapefruit diets, slim fast, Jenny Craig, NutriSystem, etc, etc, etc. Yep, you will lose a bunch of weight, but how can you ever maintain it? Most people don't have thousands of dollars to throw away on all these plans that promise you will get the weight off and keep it off. I am 59 years old and 2 years ago I had enough of feeling miserable stuffing my face with junk all the time and joined Weight Watchers. I lost 43 lbs and have kept it off. Counting calories is not going to work for me. WW is all about how many "points" a particular food has, and portion control. You are encouraged to eat alot of fruit and veggies, which don't count as anything, low-fat proteins like chicken, fish or lean cuts of meat. I myself don't eat red meat or chicken, and I have to have my carbs, and my sweets. All in moderation. WW also encourages exercise. 7 days a week, go for a walk, a run or whatever activity you like to do. Just get moving. This is truly a plan that is realistic and yes, you can go out to a restaurant and you can have a brownie or a piece of pie with 10 scoops of ice cream if you want, just very, very occassionally. I can honestly say I am never starving from one meal to the next because I always have grapes, string cheese, something I can munch on if I get hungry. And I drink alot of water, sugar free green tea and crystal lite. The weight will come off, about 1-2 lbs a week and alot of people will get discouraged with that like I did, but you can't give up. You just have to be ready to make a lifestyle change, with or without the support of friends or family and do it for yourself. Keep away from people that try to sabotage your efforts, because in the beginning you aren't always going to get the support from some people. I sure didn't have any support, except at the WW meetings. You will never feel like a failure and a one lb loss is a big deal and that keeps you going.

Just my 2 cent's worth.

November 1, 2012 at 10:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. John

2 industries make billions of dollars if everyone is fat: food, and diet. Both those industries love it if you eat high energy foods, foods you don't need. A solid example, for the 2800 calories I eat each day, at my ideal weight, which I'm at right now, I would have to eat 40 cans of green beans each day to match that. I can't do it. I would be stuffed at somewhere around 1/4th or less of that. If I continued to eat only green beans, I would starve to death eventually. If I change to eating normal meals, and 2 lb bags of M&M's, I will get fat day after day, fatter and fatter. That's the truth of the matter, that the food and diet industries are overjoyed that everyone is getting fat. Break the cycle... get back to normal food, lower energy food. You don't need big servings, all day long snacking, excessive sweets... all the sterotypical "get fat" things you've heard... they were right... that's how you got fat. Open your eyes and think, for yourself, not for the diet and food industries.

November 1, 2012 at 12:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Janice

RJW - Check out resources right here on CNN. Read the stories on Fit Nation at http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2008/fit.nation/index.html. If these don't inspire you, I don't know what will. Also, it may be time to set up an appt. with a nutriitonist and get some common sense eating guidelines. If you have health insurance, it will probably pay for a visit. You'll learn a lot!

November 1, 2012 at 12:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Real Man

Better advice to this loser would be to *turn off the computer* and go outside and walk for an hour. Then eat some carrots and a banana. It's not that difficult. Reading the internet does not burn calories.

November 1, 2012 at 15:40 | Report abuse |
  39. Real Man

I agree with ph. Rest of you libs shut up.

November 1, 2012 at 15:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. RJW

@Real Man – That's kind of a joke of a name given your comments. You are neither "real" nor a "man." But I digress. I exercise all the time. I have a personal trainer. How about you take your "advice" and shove it. People like you are the problem, not the solution. Now go back to your pathetic little hole and slam your head in the door . . . . hard.

November 1, 2012 at 20:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. RJW

@Sy2502 – Same comments to you. See above. You are just another loser and a hater who proclaims how easy all of this is. You are pathetic.

November 1, 2012 at 20:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Crocky

But it IS easy if you set your mind to it and do it because you want to take better care of yourself. I have lost nearly 40% of my body this year by eating healthy, learning proper portions and daily exercise. I can't imagine going back to my old, miserable life anymore.

November 7, 2012 at 13:52 | Report abuse |
  42. JamesFoley

ok ok simmadownow..... no point in feeding the trolls

November 1, 2012 at 22:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. JamesFoley

I like Nottingham Fred's remark 😀 At least he gave the article a little thought

November 1, 2012 at 22:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. WhatNow

ph...I am really sorry for you. So opinionated at such a young age. You must be very young because your hatred is devoid of any real life experience.

November 2, 2012 at 09:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. MaintenanceDiets

It's great to see real scientific research showing that learning how to maintain your weight contributes to long term weight loss success. It's amazing that more than $60 billion is spent annually on weight loss products and services, but 80% of people who diet and lose weight end up gaining it all back within a year.

Clearly we need a new approach to the obesity problem in America. We're creating a new diet program that focus on weight maintenance at: http://www.maintenancediets.com

November 2, 2012 at 16:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. putting

I am really impressed along with your writing talents and also with the layout in your weblog. Is this a paid topic or did you customize it your self? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is uncommon to see a nice blog like this one nowadays..

November 6, 2012 at 07:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. dayleft

If you want to get anywhere with a proper weight loss regime, you need a game plan, read up on it http://www.majorityreviews.com/fatloss – before you do anything to drastic.

November 9, 2012 at 20:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Weight Lose Program

I've read several good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much effort you set to make any such excellent informative website.

November 12, 2012 at 13:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. James

If you really want to know how to lose weight for free, check out:
    or visit us on facebcook.com/shred.edu

November 15, 2012 at 21:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Monica

I tried so hard to lose weight but my problem is sweets i love them so so much. Sweets and cheese actually lol. I found this cook book that helped tremendously. It helped the sweet craving while still slimming my waist line.

If anyone is interested here is the link:

happy Eating 🙂