home
RSS
Applegate: 'I miss my exquisite breasts'
October 25th, 2012

Applegate: 'I miss my exquisite breasts'

Christina Applegate, star of the television comedy “Up All Night,” has talked openly about her experience with breast cancer.

Still, the actress wishes she hadn’t been outed to the world in 2008 before the anesthetic from her mastectomy surgery even wore off.

“The good thing is that we got the information out,” Applegate says in this month’s edition of MORE magazine. “But talking about the facts of the disease, I didn’t have to see what was going on with me. I think when it slowed down, all of that came crashing down.”

Applegate had two lumpectomies and was supposed to start radiation when she found out she had a mutation on the BRCA1 gene, which increased her risk for recurrence of breast and ovarian cancers. That’s why Applegate made the decision to undergo a double mastectomy.

Quoting her character from the movie, “Anchorman,” Applegate tells MORE: “Aw, I miss my exquisite breasts sometimes.”

CNN is continuing our Breast Cancer Awareness Month coverage with a Facebook discussion at 12 p.m. ET on Friday, October 26. Allison Gilbert, who wrote about her mastectomy for CNN, and former CBS “Early Show” host Rene Syler will be leading the conversation. Like our page at Facebook.com/CNNHealth to join in!

Then, check back this weekend as CNN Health teams up with iReport to tell the stories of five women who have the BRCA gene and how they dealt with the devastating news.

1. Mark

Check ebay. They might be up for sale.

October 25, 2012 at 17:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. cg

I wonder why she didn't have her ovaries removed. Ovarian cancer is harder to detect and treat compared to BC.

October 25, 2012 at 18:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Erik

I wonder why she didn't have her tonsils removed, and her appendix, and also they should have checked for pancreatic cancer while they were at it.

October 26, 2012 at 08:21 | Report abuse |
    • Epidemiologist, no kidding!

Erik, when the BCRA gene is positive, cj's question is not evidence of hypochondria or unreasonable fear. It is a sound question regarding risk/benefit ratios.

October 26, 2012 at 12:14 | Report abuse |
    • Teri

I thought the same thing, too. If I had the gene, I would just go in for more frequent checks and testing than to just whittle away at them as a preventative and then leave other parts that were just as susceptible but can't be as easily tested. I'm sure she carefully weighed everything and made the best decision for herself. She may have decided to have a few kids and then have the ovaries removed as a precaution.

October 26, 2012 at 13:55 | Report abuse |
    • MC

Uh, maybe because she ALREADY HAD breast cancer, which makes recurrence virtually certain if you have the defective gene. Maybe because ovaries have important biological functions and the breasts don't. Dimwits.

October 26, 2012 at 15:49 | Report abuse |
    • MC

In particular, since you don't seem too bright, I'll make it a little more clear. If you have your ovaries removed, among other negative effects, YOU CAN'T HAVE CHILDREN.

October 26, 2012 at 15:52 | Report abuse |
    • jaxjeff

love her as kelly bundy and love her as an articulate young woman, this coming from a 63 year old white male... just glad she didnt have prostrata cancer.....go girl!!!!!

October 27, 2012 at 20:20 | Report abuse |
  3. kk

"she found out she had the BRCA1 gene – Geez CNN, EVERYONE has the BRCA1 gene, but she has a mutant form of it.

October 25, 2012 at 18:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jacque Wilson

You're absolutely right, kk! Thanks for pointing out our mistake - we'll fix it ASAP.

October 26, 2012 at 07:23 | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Which is what CNN said, did you not read it?
      ".....she found out she had a mutation on the BRCA1 gene...."

October 26, 2012 at 11:12 | Report abuse |
    • Rhino12667

Hey Jim, look at the post above yours from the AUTHOR of the article Jacque Wilson. Now look at the time stamps of the posts. You sir are the one that missed the original article before it was corrected.

October 26, 2012 at 11:41 | Report abuse |
    • read much

kk – if you are going to quote something, read first, twice, cut and paste, use what is called and endquote, then proofread. If you did that then no one would even of heard from you in the first place.

October 26, 2012 at 11:43 | Report abuse |
    • pmmarion

Rhino, you have GOT to be the most gullible person born. lol

October 26, 2012 at 12:01 | Report abuse |
  4. Boobie Boy

One must do what is necessary to save the Ta Ta's.

October 25, 2012 at 19:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pinky

She didn't save them. They were discarded, in the trash, buried. She saved her life.

October 26, 2012 at 10:33 | Report abuse |
  5. xcvxcv

I HATE CANCER

October 25, 2012 at 19:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Les in a Man's body

So do we, Sweetheart. So do we. Absolute princess.

October 25, 2012 at 21:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. coco3

Those breasts were like two loaded guns pointing at her heart...

October 25, 2012 at 23:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. 2nd base

LET'S SAVE 2ND BASE!!!

October 26, 2012 at 00:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Don

I will still love you, Christina! Keep fighting! Mwah!!!

October 26, 2012 at 00:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Paul Gaul

Breast cancer symptoms can be early detected using free online available tools. For instance, esagil.org can match symptoms with diseases and is widely used by people for orientation purposes. In addition, there are a number of associations that can help to get support on those hard moments.

October 26, 2012 at 03:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Sue

I just had my right one removed, it wasn't exquisite but I still miss the stupid thing. They just haven't yet come up eith an affordable one-cup bra so life is a bit 'tilted' (if ya know what 8 mean). Oh well, life with one is better than no life. Right?

October 26, 2012 at 04:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lindalou

Absolutely Sue. Life trumps breasts!

October 26, 2012 at 19:51 | Report abuse |
  12. Vincent W. Carpenter

We still Love You. Have ever since MWC. YOU ARE STILL A SWEETHEART!! 😀

October 26, 2012 at 07:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Gary

You would think as an intelligent society, we would put millions and million in our own self preservation than commercials, political campaigns, and all the other nonsensical garbage we do. Sad, that as humans, we have to mutilate our bodies as a way to stop a disease than have proper ways to take care of these things.

October 26, 2012 at 07:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Maverick

What would you say is the "proper way to take care of these things", Gary? Cancer is a genetic disease, brought about by damage and mutation of cells, and their rampant and uncontrolled proliferation at the expense of healthy cells. Yes, there are controllable factors but many are not. We can live healthy and that will in a small way reduce our chance of getting cancer, but it will not eliminate it. One out of two men will develop cancer and one out of three women will, and until chemotherapy and radiation is perfected it may be necessary to "mutilate our bodies as a way to stop a disease".

October 26, 2012 at 08:25 | Report abuse |
    • Syndrome Zed

Do a quick Google search of how much money IS put into cancer research already. We've been pumping millions into it for years. Some advances have been made – identifying BRCA1 mutations as very dangerous, and drugs like Herceptin to block receptors that cancer cells take advantage of (and have more of). But we have a lot to learn and cancer's not a relatively simple condition like an infection. More money is needed, but suggesting that money's the only thing holding us back from curing cancer is downright idiotic.

October 26, 2012 at 11:09 | Report abuse |
    • Sara

BRCA genes increase a woman's chance of cancer to 60~80% before she 50. Having a lump removed is like having half the wine cork removed, when the whole bottle is tainted. Read up on BC and you'll see that she made a tough choice. Christina observed conservative treatment, after two lumpectomies at her age. All cancer sucks and you do what you can to prolong life you have. If genetic testing had indicated that my mother's cancer had been BRCA 1 or 2, and I had suspect tissue. I would not hesitate to remove both breasts. Lickety Split off they go. I am just a mild mannered woman, works hard at good job, has a degree, and two kids – I don't make movies or have millions; but I would sacrifice natural tissue to have a million days with my family. I watched my bro die at 35 of brain cancer (unrelated). He didn't get a chance to do preventative surgery like removing a little hunk of flesh one can live without.

October 26, 2012 at 12:40 | Report abuse |
  14. charlie j

I miss my exquisite prostate, too.

October 26, 2012 at 07:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • BD

I just spit coffee on my monitor....

October 26, 2012 at 09:49 | Report abuse |
    • Rob L

And I wish I could say I miss (as in past tense) the side effects. But they are still there three years after surgery.

October 26, 2012 at 16:19 | Report abuse |
  15. robespierre

Maybe women's wearing of [tight] brasiers contribute to incidence of breast cancer?

October 26, 2012 at 08:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • abacab

And you, sir, win the Internet idiot of the day award!

October 26, 2012 at 08:44 | Report abuse |
    • bonbonvegabon

You are correct. Tight fitting bras are not good and should be taken off while sleeping. Something my mother never did and she got breast cancer, and had it removed. Her doctor told her to not wear a bra at night and to massage her breasts to keep circulation good after the bra is removed and that ALL WOMEN SHOULD DO THIS!!

October 27, 2012 at 17:53 | Report abuse |
  16. The One Who Knows

Breasts are nothing but fatty tissues and glands. To believe they are the "end-all-be-all" to being a woman is like thinking rap music is a form of artistic expression. Mine do not mark my functionality as a woman. Be glad you are alive, Christine, and cease bemoaning what was, and embrace what is.

And mine? Well, to quote an apisode of Seinfeld, They are real, and they're spectacular!

October 26, 2012 at 08:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Eric

If you are trying to make the valid point that breasts don't make the woman, don't muddy it up with your opinion that rap is not a form of artistic expression. I don't very much like rap myself, but it certainly is a form of artistic expression.

October 26, 2012 at 10:36 | Report abuse |
    • Liz

You are condemning this woman for missing her breasts while bragging about your own. Little bit of a mixed message, don't you think? And pain is relative, so she's allowed to miss the hell out of whatever body part she wants–even if you wouldn't do the same.

October 26, 2012 at 10:48 | Report abuse |
    • mala sangre

since you found your quote re read the article. the bemoaning was a riff on a character she played you arrogant b#@^h

October 26, 2012 at 12:30 | Report abuse |
    • The One Who Knows

Aww, I think it's cute how know-nothings try and hurl impotent comments my way.

And I stand by my relevant and insightful comment about rap, because rap is to art as men are to relevance.

October 26, 2012 at 14:46 | Report abuse |
    • MC

Wow, what a sad little freak you are.

October 26, 2012 at 15:46 | Report abuse |
    • The One Who Knows

And yet, MC, still hotter than you.

October 26, 2012 at 15:54 | Report abuse |
  17. Maverick

While we are on the topic, I call attention to the over two thousand men annually who are diagnosed with breast cancer, and the over four hundred who die annually from it.

And like the NRA when someone is killed by a gun, the breast cancer groups are curiouosly silent about this statistic.

Doubt me? Go to the American Cancer Society and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention sites.

October 26, 2012 at 08:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • abacab

Maybe that is because in the U.S. alone, the CDC lists over 40,000 women died of breast cancer in 2008 alone. I'm sure if men made up more than ONE PERCENT of the total, you would hear more about them. To put it in perspective, more people in the U.S. died last year from tornadoes than from male breast cancer.

There's no grand conspiracy against men here. Male breast cancer is a negligible problem, consideirng your chances of dying of it in any given year are approximately .0003%.

October 26, 2012 at 08:57 | Report abuse |
    • Sara

BRCA1 and 2 genes are also tied to many cases of prostate cancer in men, as well as bowel and testicular cancers. All cancer sucks.

October 26, 2012 at 12:43 | Report abuse |
    • Maverick

So, abacab, if I am reading you right (an I know I am), a man getting breast cancer is not as important as a woman getting it because more women are diagnosed, and because of the low death rate for men it does not require investigation and treatment?

How sad and lonely it must be on your planet to believe one gender is more important than the other.

October 26, 2012 at 14:49 | Report abuse |
    • peggy

You're right, men do get breast cancer, although the percentage is low. That doesn't take away from the fact that it is just as difficult for them as it is for women and they shouldn't be forgotten. Heck, Richard Roundtree, the macho star of the "Shaft" movies was treated for breast cancer a number of years ago. That's just one prominent example.

October 30, 2012 at 07:37 | Report abuse |
  18. cnnlicksit

Boobs are a terrible thing to waste.

October 26, 2012 at 09:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. James M

Well.... I for one think her coming out for her disease makes her even more exquisitely beautiful....

Rock On Cristina!! we see you better now as a person. I think she is a Gem of a person
    – yeah she is cute- but I think her spokes-person persona is way better

October 26, 2012 at 11:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Rob

So do I! She's still awesome, but she was even awesome-er with them.

October 26, 2012 at 11:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Impressed

Ms. Applegate is showing us how a very brave and intelligent young woman dealt with a devastating disease. Not all cases end with this level of success and she has paid a high price for this success. I very much admire her ability to speak openly about her experience and through this help others to be aware of the dangers and be proactive by self-examination.

I applaud her !

October 26, 2012 at 11:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. AWoman

I think @James M is awesome. Thank you for finding a woman worthy/relevant for more than her body.... you make me want to go upstairs and seduce my husband (a similarly like-minded man).

Men like you give me hope that someday woman will be seen as more than their body-parts!

October 26, 2012 at 12:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. John Mann

Christina is still a most beautiful woman. You go girl,

October 26, 2012 at 12:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. joe average

my wife of 44 years is a beautiful person, with a big and compassionate heart. She is more to me than the sum of any parts present or absent. I consider her presence as a friend, mentor, pal, cohort, fun lovely wife and mother as the most important elements of her existence. If you focus on anatomy you are only in it for the short haul. Real men love women for who they are !

October 26, 2012 at 12:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • angelad

Thank you Joe – you seem to be an anomaly – thank you for being MORE than average.

October 26, 2012 at 13:48 | Report abuse |
    • saftgek

Joe Average nailed it. Ladies & Gents – the body is a shell. The person is not the body – it is the mind and soul. My wife is 63 y/o. Physically, she has changed (tho still a lovely woman, physically). What is constant is her love for life, for children, and for the world.

It is vain women and barbaric men who perpetuate the nonsense about it "being the body." My wife is a great example of what beauty TRULY is – a lovely, responsible, warm, loving being.

October 27, 2012 at 22:59 | Report abuse |
  25. Lydia

Turn ons? Compassionate guys with a sense of humor. Turn offs? Bob, Mark and Robs icky comments.

October 26, 2012 at 12:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. pooflingingmonkey

She's still gorgeous, still talented, and a very brave woman.

October 26, 2012 at 12:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Jack 3

She's still hot.

October 26, 2012 at 13:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. angelad

Thank you Lydia. Let's lop off half a brain of these guys and see if we have any compassion for them...........no – wait.........won't make a difference.

October 26, 2012 at 13:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. ExquisiteBreasts

If anyone identifies primarily with their current, past, or future body parts, they need psychiatric evaluation and a broader self image.

October 26, 2012 at 14:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Joe Schmoe

To Lydia and Angelad, what crock of !#%* and double standard. It's ok to for her to indicate that she misses something she she admired about herself, but not ok for the above guys to comment that they miss something they admired about her as well (and hopefully not the only thing)? She wouldn't have called her breasts "exquisite" if they weren't worth looking at. These guys were just affirming what she said herself and should be able to do so without ridiculous, petty criticism.

October 26, 2012 at 15:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Magesterium

Nope, it wasn't the only thing. She also has an exquisite @$$, legs that won't quit, and a "come hither" look that could straighten out a kwear!

October 29, 2012 at 12:17 | Report abuse |
  31. Yard Dawg

I was diagnosed in my 30s ... with no family history, no risk factors, out of the blue. Now that the "don't take hormones post-menopause" facts have come out ... someone should perhaps take a look at the PILL as a contributing factor for pre-menopausal women? Just sayin' ...

October 26, 2012 at 15:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. MC

Blow if out your @ss, Joe.

October 26, 2012 at 15:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Spence

My heart goes out to this very intelligent, talented and beautiful woman. I lost my wife to breast cancer in 2003 and the difficulties women have to deal with when it comes to this miserable and insidious disease.

October 26, 2012 at 16:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. TomGI

Kelly Bundy = bomb babe

October 26, 2012 at 16:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Rob

I can only imagine how difficult it must be to go through something like that. I actually find her more attractive now knowing the strength and courage she has demonstrated along with her passion to try to help others. Far superior woman over Kelly Bundy.

October 26, 2012 at 16:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. 4HIM

Dear Christina, Your exquisite boobs were a small part of the beauty that your angelic face, beautiful smile and heavenly body grace this earth. Many of us would rather have you with surgical implants than for us to be Christinaless. God bless

October 26, 2012 at 18:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. g2-01a442bffbc4ad8d96e510c7da67e3be

I am a 14-year survivor of breast cancer and yes, I miss them and they too were exquisite. They certainly didn't identify me and I am completely aware that they were made of glands, fat and tissue. But they nurtured my child, got me turned on during sex, and helped me feel voluptuous when I wanted too. And Cancer sucked. There was incredible pain after the surgery, mouth sores, hair loss, vomiting, weakness and diahrrea with chemo, and fear of what the radiation was doing to my body. Then there's the fear of knowing it might come back at some point. So yep, I miss my exquisite breasts, They gave me some great memories. But I am grateful to be alive to watch my grandson grow up and experience life. Just miss them at times cause the new ones just don't look as good or as real.

October 26, 2012 at 19:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Lindalou

I've seen Ms Applegate on talk shows and she is such a genuinely likeable person. Sorry bout losing the 'girls', but you are so much more than breasts!

October 26, 2012 at 19:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Reggie Favre

I still think she is beautiful.

October 26, 2012 at 23:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. groo

I still think she's hot. Lots of guys do and she should too. There are a lot of women that have to deal with this disease but most all of them come out stronger from it. My mom had to have the same treatment.

October 26, 2012 at 23:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. groo

I'd like to see the source of your information please.

October 26, 2012 at 23:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Jenna

Christina, I'm sorry that you "miss your exquisite breasts". I'm glad that you are here with us. We would definitely miss you if you weren't.

October 27, 2012 at 00:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Bill in Anza

We're bummed about your situation too but we'd rather have you as you are than dead.

October 27, 2012 at 00:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Brad

She's still beautiful..............

October 27, 2012 at 06:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. J.R. Thiel

She's still beautiful as can be.

October 27, 2012 at 09:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Debbie

My husband's family is just riddled with BRCA gene mutations and cancer has been merciless on them.

October 27, 2012 at 10:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. tim in prince george

they were exquisite but they were only the icing on the cake. you children will thank you

October 27, 2012 at 12:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. w

You're still a beauty Christina, just as much.

October 27, 2012 at 14:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. c s

Cancer is hell. Just surviving it is wonderful. Too bad the treatment is so hellacious. Maybe someday it will be better. Enjoy every moment of life because it is so precious, especially the grandchildren.

October 27, 2012 at 17:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Rick

Didn't you post this same BS on the chessnegress thread?

October 27, 2012 at 17:27 | Report abuse | Reply