home
RSS
October 3rd, 2012

Veteran files suit over frostbitten penis

A 61-year-old Army veteran is suing the U.S. government for $10 million, claiming negligent care resulted in severe frostbite on his penis, leading to its partial amputation.

Michael D. Nash of Louisville, Kentucky, filed suit in federal court Monday.  He is asking for damages for what his lawyer calls "significant mental and emotional distress and trauma as a result of his injuries."

In October 2010, Nash underwent surgery at the VA Medical Center in Lexington, Kentucky.  Doctors were removing and replacing a malfunctioning penile implant.  After the surgery, according to court documents, a nurse applied ice packs to Nash's penis to reduce pain and swelling.

The ice packs remained on Nash's penis for 19 straight hours, "in violation of the standard of care," according to the lawsuit.  As a result, Nash's penis was severely frostbitten, which led to gangrene.

According to Nash's attorney, Larry Jones, his client was on heavy pain medicine at the time and unable to question the nurse.  Nash was discharged from the hospital even though he complained of severe pain, Jones said.

Two weeks later, surgeons performed a partial penectomy, removing a significant part of Nash's penis.

"When you take away a man's manhood, it affects him in ways you can't imagine," Jones said.  Nash, who served in the Army in the 1960s,  now needs a catheter and has no sexual function, he said.  Eventually, he will need reconstructive surgery.

Typically, after penile implant surgery, ice would be applied to the groin area only with many layers of gauze in between, said Dr. Bruce Kava, associate professor of clinical urology at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. "This is unusual," he said.

He said it would also be unusual that a patient would be unable to feel the ice's effects.

The Department of Veterans Affairs declined comment, referring questions to the U.S. Attorney's office. The office did not immediately respond to requests for comment from CNN.

To read Nash's lawsuit, click here.

1. Linda Brown

Sounds like there was not much left to lose before he had the implant put in and has not had sexual function for yrs so was it an issue now. it not like he has some hot blond wanting his hot body here? I think it has more about getting his hands on some hot cash more so than his manhood? And even if he has it reconstructed it will be more about the appearance of it and not that he can hop in the sack again? No, he is just looking for cash and sympathy and he would have that with me if I did not think he was just trying cash in and just wanted it to look like a penis again? And if the ice was wrapped in layers of gauze as the nurse claims so how did it get frostbit? And she did this for pain relief? No, I think this guy just wants lots of cash and I do hope this goes nowhere, another idiot trying to sue sue sue!

October 3, 2012 at 17:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sharkfin

Oh yeah, what if this happened to you? Oh wait.......

October 3, 2012 at 17:23 | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired.

October 3, 2012 at 17:31 | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

I'm with Dave here. The suit is about how they botched the procedure, leading to permanent damage. That is pretty cut-and-dry malpractice.

October 3, 2012 at 17:41 | Report abuse |
    • Squeezebox

If negligence caused your labia to be cut off or your breast, you'd be suing to high heaven too!

October 3, 2012 at 17:43 | Report abuse |
    • Les Too

Linda:

Penile implants are not the same as breast implants. They are used to restore function while breast implants are vanity surgeries that make most women who have them look like clowns,. A little education would go along way in helping you engage in an intelligent conversation.

October 3, 2012 at 19:41 | Report abuse |
    • Viet Vet

Wow Linda, you are just the type of person the VA is looking for in their surgical, pain clinic, dentistry, dermatology and a few other depts. I can think of. The VA I have to go to is staffed with Asian and Middle-Eastern interns that hate America/ns for what it has done to their countries. Now imagine, they now have the ability to persecute (especially Caucasian) veterans given to them by the United States of America AND they get paid for it; plus, they get a medical degree so they can take what they have learned and milk the American public for all they can. I wonder how you will feel when you get one of these interns when they are a Dr.
      This is definitely a case of sweet revenge…
      Trouble is, I and others like me get hosed, insulted, put down and have to put up with an incredible amount of disrespect (not to mention pain). I for example was told by the Chinese director of the dentistry dept. that pain medication could give me a heart attack so they would have to pull two-teeth without Novocain or whatever it is they use. Plus, they would have to break one tooth by breaking it into two or three pieces and then extracting them all without a shot in the gums for pain.
      Then there is the story about a vet that had the wrong testicle removed by the same group of Asians & young Middle-Eastern interns that (once again) do not really care for Americans…
      Sadly I have lots more fun and true stories but people like you do not care, some folks like you believe we deserve this treatment because we fought in America’s wars...and then the VA fights and lies about us when we discover we qualify for PTSD benefits at which point the VA starts to seriously retaliate against us...

October 3, 2012 at 20:54 | Report abuse |
    • Muggsy

Thank you for your comments on the article. Snicker---

October 3, 2012 at 20:56 | Report abuse |
    • snomannn

Linda, this is a case of terrible nursing care that ultimately caused permanent damage to the man. No one should be forced to accept that kind of care from a medical professional. THis is also how our justice system works.......we can't get your body part back, so here's a bunch of money instead. Do you really think the man should just accept what happened and go on his way? He has to urinate out of a catheter now. That is neither natural, normal or healthy. Urinary catheters are always prone to causing serious or deadly infections that can kill a person. If the medical staff had done their jobs correctly, this would not have happened.

As for "Les To"..............not all breast implants are for vanity as you suggest. Many are to replace god given body parts that were lost to cancer. You are a very insensitive person.

October 3, 2012 at 21:06 | Report abuse |
    • Geno

How could an ice pack last that long without melting? I think this guy is pulling something! But not his penis.

October 3, 2012 at 21:33 | Report abuse |
    • joe800

....this is why there should be a charge for commenting...you only get to totally not comprehend and misread an article 2 times, then you have to pay...your utter lack of understanding of the words you read is astonishing...

October 3, 2012 at 21:45 | Report abuse |
    • OTIS

Way to go Linda, I bet if it was a chick with a frostbit klit you'd be all "YOU GO SISTER"...

October 3, 2012 at 21:51 | Report abuse |
    • what?

And why are you not in the kitchen making sammiches??

October 3, 2012 at 22:32 | Report abuse |
    • bigboxes

What a dick.

October 3, 2012 at 22:32 | Report abuse |
    • Iowanorseman

Gee if they did the same thing to you and took out your women parts or better yet sewed it up so you had to use a tube, you may think other wise. I bet if you had to have your breats removed and they were now concave, you would be sueing also. have a heart and stop being a B%*#@

October 3, 2012 at 22:45 | Report abuse |
    • MD

Re Viet Vet, I worked in the VA and the VA controlled everything from what medication we can write to what procedure we can do.
      if you so bad that some middleeastrens or orientals are treating you, why you didn't go to school and learn something?? don't blam the system, you just want everything to be done at no cost.

October 3, 2012 at 22:48 | Report abuse |
    • Deb Ed

You are a disgusting human being.

October 3, 2012 at 23:01 | Report abuse |
    • Satan

Unbelievable. No sexual function. Did you read that part? Dumb broad.

October 3, 2012 at 23:14 | Report abuse |
    • George the Hammer

Another case of penis envy....

October 4, 2012 at 00:01 | Report abuse |
    • Vet

The VA messed up...plain and simple! He has every right to sue.

October 4, 2012 at 00:11 | Report abuse |
    • nursechris

How did an icepack remain in place 19 continuous hours without melting?

October 4, 2012 at 00:12 | Report abuse |
    • Viet Vet

@MD? When you learn Basic English I'll be more impressed…As it happens I have managed to pick up one or two items requiring an education in my life. While my basic education seems to far exceed yours I do have a few licenses that appear far beyond your scope to attain and while I never had an interest in Western medicine I do have a pretty good understanding of Eastern medicine, which most of those in the US have no idea what EM is about.

Further, I have or have been licensed in Real Estate as a broker of 20 years, insurance and lastly a Series Three broker and trader for over 10-years. I earn my clients and myself over 10% net and at certain times much more; I suspect that beats your minimum wage by a couple of bucks, eh?

The point I was making that seems to have blown right by you is that vets should be treated better than trash by the VA; yet according to your comments & others that I have seen we deserve to be treated like trash.

One day those who feel that way may feel different; yet me & my brothers & sisters have kept bogey men away from those who reside in the US. God help you & the others if the bogey men actually make it to our shores at which time the killings on 9-11 would seem, well, not so bad. Who will stand up for our people, you? I don’t think so…

October 4, 2012 at 00:18 | Report abuse |
    • Benny

Linda Brown you are stupid and you have no heart. It's bad enough he had this happen to him and now EVERYONE knows about it too. He deserves MILLIONS and I hope that he gets it and that they can reconstruct or transplant a working organ for him. This would SERIOUSLY suck to have this happen.

October 4, 2012 at 00:22 | Report abuse |
    • Aine57

What on earth is wrong with you?

"No, he is just looking for cash and sympathy and he would have that with me if I did not think he was just trying cash in and just wanted it to look like a penis again?"

Why SHOULDN'T he want "it to look like a penis again?" Are you clueless about how important a penis is to a man? Do you tell women, "Sorry, lady, you had your breasts negligently frozen and we had to hack out the gangrene tissue so they're lopsided and unusable for the nursing or children now - how dare you be so selfish as to want reconstruction that resembles what you came in with?"

I am just shocked at the lack of sympathy on this site for this poor man who served his country and has ended up like this.

October 4, 2012 at 03:02 | Report abuse |
    • woodie

He was going to stick it in you before it fell off. So yeah, I see your point. It's a waste.

October 4, 2012 at 14:45 | Report abuse |
  2. mike

Good lord...does anyone know a way to erase memory? I need to have not read this article.

October 3, 2012 at 17:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • justmeanddog

I’m with you there. I remember I cut the top off a finger with a razor blade once and I still remember the feeling only now it is lower down and it makes my legs squeeze together. It never did that before.

October 3, 2012 at 18:45 | Report abuse |
  3. Brian

Keep in mind, the purpose of the VA hospital system is to save money. It's technology is three or four decades behind the times. I happen to be a veteran and when I asked the VA doctor about an MRI for my cervical spine problem he said "The MRI is just an expensive toy and we don't use that here." On top of that, the nurses insulted me to my face. By the way, that "doctor" could barely speak English. I would see a veterinarian before I would go back there.

October 3, 2012 at 17:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • wolfspirit mcgee

As a veteran also, i concur with you on some points, some va hospitals are better then others, ours here in columbia mo is the best! all the doctors care so much about everything for the veteran, they even thanks us for our service in th halls. i have always gotten the best care here. now in FL it was a diff story. one nurse tried removing bone off my inner ear wall with out numbing it at all, and then got mad when i cried out in pain. in fl all they do is simple stuff , specially in jacksonville, fl. if you have a cold or need a bandaid then you do well there, if you need anything else, go civilian! gainsville is worse then jax.

October 3, 2012 at 18:00 | Report abuse |
    • Hypocrites

Welcome to the future of American medicine. I have long experience with the VA. Wouldn't take my dead dog there.

October 3, 2012 at 18:04 | Report abuse |
    • NoTags

I've been in the VA system since 2001 and received treatment at 2 different VA medical centers and 1 CBOC. All I can say is the treatment I have received has been excellent.

In the last year I've had 3 MRI's which I didn't have to ask for since they were recommended by my primary care physician. Prior to the VA I got my healthcare in the private sector and there is no way that I would ever go back to the private sector.

October 3, 2012 at 18:10 | Report abuse |
    • sloop1

I'm 65 yrs old and am a Viet Nam War combat Vet. I can say that the VA has always treated me like I was someone that was important. If my civilian doctor recommends or prescribes a procedure, I go to the VA, it gets done and the results are faxed to my doctor. No problems at all.

October 3, 2012 at 18:28 | Report abuse |
    • rdp

The VA is just like private medicine, it has its good points and bad points. I know of people that have gone to the Mayo Clinic for minor outpatient procedures and have died. I know of people that have gone to private hospitals and was admitted and did not see a nurse for over 8 hours. I know of people that have gone to private hospitals and spent hours in the ER, was seen by a doctor for about 5 minutes and sent bills for over $1000! I know people that have gone to private hospitals and have acquired bacterial infections that they have to live with the rest of their lives.The VA is tax payer supported. It was created to serve the Veterans, and rightly so. They paid the price and deserve the best this country can offer. Is it perfect NO. Many of the Vets also have to pay for some or all of the care they receive at a VA. I work for the VA and know at my facility that millions of dollars have been spent to upgrade services. A new open MRI was completed in the last year and it is running all the time. There are Saturday and after hour appointments in some clinics now available. Numerous community clinics have been built and staffed to keep the Vets from having to drive hundereds of miles for their routine appointments. There are numerous phone services available, some 24 hours a day! Pharmacy services have been expanded and have become more efficient to get meds to the Veterans as fast as possible. Are there dead beats that work at VA facilities, you bet. They are just puching a clock for retirement and that is unfortunate. Overall, if you compare the VA to private medicine it comes out to about the same standard of care. Many Veterans in the US would have NO medical care available to them it the VA did not exist. The standard of care for this country is going down hill and will continue to get worse. The patient is no longer the focus, only the almighty dollar.

October 3, 2012 at 20:07 | Report abuse |
    • MD

you don't need anesthesia to clean ears from junk.

October 3, 2012 at 22:51 | Report abuse |
    • MD

the good thing about the VA is you don't get what you want but what you need. sorry to say but some people like to milk the system to the max. yes we thank you for what you did to the country, but you signed up for it and you got payed for it.

October 3, 2012 at 23:16 | Report abuse |
    • John

MRI is an advanced technology but is not always helpful contrary to common belief. As a matter of fact, recent studies related to back pains shows MRI scans result in more surgeries compared to X-ray while overall improvement being the same for both. Lot of Docs are not experienced enough to read MRI correctly resulting in unnecessary procedures. So it is not always a given that MRIs are the solution that fit all cases. Too much detail is sometimes just too confusing.

October 3, 2012 at 23:25 | Report abuse |
    • MD

unfortunately lots of people think that advanced images and labs can make the right diagnosis.
      Sometimes we have patient ask to have whole body CT to find if there is something wrong in their bodies. Really??? I don't think so.
      clinical diagnosis is important but the culture of law suits forced some doctors to just go with CTs and MRI and 700 lab orders.

In my opinion we just need to follow evidence based medicine.

October 3, 2012 at 23:44 | Report abuse |
    • gen

wolfspirit mcgee, In florida it's the same in private hospitals too, my dad slipped into a coma and died 2 weeks after that because he fell going to the bathroom and the nurses didn't come in right away when called so he passed out and had a cardiac arrest so when they resuscitated him his brain was too long without oxygen so he slipped into a coma.

October 4, 2012 at 00:30 | Report abuse |
  4. Alan S

Patrol: You wrote that spending money on this man would be a travesty. Would you prefer allowing medical personnel to commit obvious malpractice with impunity?

October 3, 2012 at 17:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • San

NO ICE PACK LAST THAT LONG.

October 4, 2012 at 01:12 | Report abuse |
    • cja

"obvious". Not really. any ice pack I've seen would melt long before it could cause frostbite. How did it stay frozen for 19 hours? Did the nurse come back and change it ever hour or so? If so then yes they make about a dozen mistakes in a row even though two shift changes. That WOULD be unbelievable.

October 4, 2012 at 01:38 | Report abuse |
    • Balanced Brain

It was multiple ice packs, changed without the requisite down time. Not hard to believe, though your lack of comprehension is. Read some of the intelligent responses before asking the same question at least twenty other people with no imagination raised;

October 4, 2012 at 19:28 | Report abuse |
  5. Bambam

One can always count on a lawyer being present when a frozen penis is involved!

October 3, 2012 at 17:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Scott

To everyone here who's decided that this man shouldn't have been taken care of to begin with...he served his time in the Army, and none of you can state the original reason why he had an implant to begin with. That could range from a shrapnel or gunshot injury to effects of chemicals he was exposed to. Regardless, your typically insensitive remarks toward a veteran's treatment tells me exactly what type of people you are, where your heart lies...and is probably exposing your political affiliation at the same time.

October 3, 2012 at 17:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

"Vets" get way too many benifits for the short amount of time they serve and those who serve during peace like this guy prob did get the same benefits from free schooling to healthcare to housing to even being considered first for jobs... Theres a few reasons people join the military.. Usually it has nothing to do with defending the country, usually its this mind set ...ill take a slim chance at death if i can a. Be considered a hero (ego) b. get a gun and get to shoot people (evil) c. Free benefits like i mentioned earlier (greed) d. They have no job or nothing going for them at home (lazy) very few join for the right reason...if the odds were 50/50 ppl would die if they joined then our army would be the size of puerto ricos army ..

October 4, 2012 at 02:13 | Report abuse |
    • George

You my friend are a moron!!!

October 4, 2012 at 03:28 | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Mike, you're an ignoramus, who has no idea what you're talking about. Instead of spewing forth the garbage that comes from your infantile brain, why not just say thank you to the veterans, who made it possible for you to sit in comfort at home, sipping your wine, while you complain about the Neanderthals who don't vote the way you do. You have no idea WHY that veteran needed the implant, and you sound like a fool.....likely, because you ARE ONE!!

October 4, 2012 at 06:00 | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Are you a veteran? If not you have no idea what you are talking about so STFU.

October 4, 2012 at 11:33 | Report abuse |
    • Frank Boland

Hey Mike, You obviously have never served your country, so shut your trap and go troll somewhere else. Or slink back under the rock your crawled out from under. You have NO understanding of what makes people join the military, and NO right to speak about better men and women than yourself. You obviously never had the balls to commit, so feel free to sit down and STFU! Cowardly little keyboard commandos like yourself, have been around since the cave men. You are the type that stayed in the cave for fear of going out with the men to hunt and gather. I can't imagine the pain you must feel when you stare back at your cowardly reflection.

October 4, 2012 at 11:34 | Report abuse |
    • Phallus64

Puerto Rico DOESN'T have an army DOLT!....stop thinking with your frozen phallus!

October 4, 2012 at 12:39 | Report abuse |
    • DeTamble

Vets" get way too many benifits for the short amount of time they serve

Sounds like a true Republican.
      Sad and sick people.

October 4, 2012 at 13:08 | Report abuse |
    • Fred

Actually, I was thinking his comment sounded like a true Democrat and a true liberal.
      They want to take benefits away from veterans and give them to the illegal immigrants
      who truly deserve them.

October 4, 2012 at 13:18 | Report abuse |
    • TheTruth

You clearly have no understanding of the military or the people who serve.

October 4, 2012 at 14:14 | Report abuse |
    • Tim

This terminally ill 80% disabled 43 year old Desert Storm veteran with 3 young children and a wife that get to watch me go through this while we do everything we can to scrape up enough to survive without taking ANY welfare or public assistance, thanks you for defending my brothers and sisters in arms.

October 4, 2012 at 04:42 | Report abuse |
    • Svenghooli

Scott: Good point and very true...

October 4, 2012 at 13:01 | Report abuse |
  7. guest

Couldn't he remove the ice himself? DARWIN!!

October 3, 2012 at 17:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Edwin

guest: have you ever had surgery before? I thought not.

It's a good thing, too, because once you came out of surgery, they'd probably have to restrain you - you would be the one removing every tube or scanner that felt uncomfortable, even if the doctors told you it was necessary.

October 3, 2012 at 17:43 | Report abuse |
    • Muggsy

Read the article again. Get your blanks filled in.

October 3, 2012 at 21:01 | Report abuse |
    • nursechris

He was not in the ICU coming off a Propofol drip for a pnuemonectomy...I can't imagine why someone status-post a minor surgical procedure did not question anything, either.

October 4, 2012 at 00:26 | Report abuse |
  8. NorCalMojo

Too funny.

October 3, 2012 at 18:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Fifi

First of all, the guy had an implant. I find it impossible to feel sorry for someone who would do that to his body. Second, how does an "ice pack" stay cold for 19 hours? The chemical ce packs (two chemicals mixed make cold) I get when I go to the doctor last maybe 20 minutes. The gel packs I used to get lasted longer, but no more than 30 minutes. Water ice doesn't do any better. Either this story is poorly reported or the physician is using the nurse as a scapegoat.

October 3, 2012 at 18:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

A penile implant is inserted when nerve damage has caused permanant erectile disfunction. It has nothing to do with enhancing the penis. They are medically sound treatment and have been around for several decades. They do however fail occasionally and the surgery he required is a valid surgery rather than having a broken on remaining in the body.

October 3, 2012 at 20:40 | Report abuse |
  10. MashaSobaka

I was sympathetic until they brought up the "he lost his manhood" argument. Give me a freaking break.

October 3, 2012 at 18:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CC

You are obviously a women, what if a women loss the function of her V j j? I'm sure your story would change to a "you go girl get all the money you can!!".

October 3, 2012 at 22:18 | Report abuse |
  11. Hypocrites

I was thinking the same thing. DId they strap a freezer to his unit? I've never seen a standard ice pack stay that cold that long.

October 3, 2012 at 18:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Fubarack

Two questions,...why would the VA be doing a procedure that is elective in nature. Why would someone have a procedure done at a facility that obviously does not specialize in this.

October 3, 2012 at 18:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mlr

There are lots of reasons vets have to go through implants – my neighbor received IED explosion hits that hurt that area – only way to have kids was with a device. TBI brain injuries often cause issues as well. All the other medical reasons any civilian guy has for needing one.

October 3, 2012 at 19:14 | Report abuse |
    • scarf

When I worked at the KC VA, I had a patient who had a penile implant due to impotence secondary to diabetes. Because it was a non-service connected disability, he got a rigid implant rather than an inflatable implant. As it turned out, he was also a convicted rapist. (I swear that's the truth!)

October 3, 2012 at 19:35 | Report abuse |
  13. Fifi

This is why I have no sympathy, and why most women on a jury would share my view:

*"When you take away a man's manhood, it affects him in ways you can't imagine," Jones said. Nash, who served in the Army in the 1960s, now needs a catheter and has no sexual function, he said. Eventually, he will need reconstructive surgery.*

Women have been tolerating the removal of their "womanhood" for ages, and still manage to lead happy lives. Hysterectomies are recommended for even minor fibroids in the US. Some women opt for a total mastectomy over a lumpectomy if their genetics warrant the choice. We deal with it. If your "manhood" lies in that flaccid little dangle of vascular tissue, you are no man to begin with.

October 3, 2012 at 18:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

Does this mean you disagree with reconstructive surgery for radical mastectomies even though it has been shown to improve the mental healing of many women?

October 3, 2012 at 20:45 | Report abuse |
    • dogcaps

does a hysterectomy affect your ability to have sex? In my wifes case, it enhanced it, so lets stick to comparing apples to oranges ok> removing ones penis would definitely affect you sex life. get off you feigned feminine outrage high horse

October 3, 2012 at 20:53 | Report abuse |
    • Balanced Brain

I have never heard so many ignorant people on one website. Not only did many not read (and comprehend) the article, they make comments on subjects they know nothing about. Penile implants are quite common for diabetics and others who have suffered injury to their penis. The man was fairly heavily sedated during the time the ice packs were being applied, so probably not really able to defend himself. Ice tends to make things go numb, so you have even less awareness that damage may be occurring. No, icepacks don't last 19 hours, but the nurse was no doubt changing them fairly frequently. (This is a no-brainer, but more than one person questioned "ice lasting 19 hours". Oh well.) Obviously, even when he protested being discharged, due to his extreme pain, no one listened to him. My husband uses the services of VA hospitals and I'm pretty sure we would not choose to use them for something complicated – but we are fortunate enough to have alternative insurance. For some, the VA Hospital is their only choice. He, too, has had good care at the Columbia, Mo. hospital but the ones in St. Louis are constantly being called on the carpet for issues of sanitation – not to mention being pretty inefficient in general. Hopefully this man will adapt to the loss of his penis – and it can be adapted to. But even so, he should be compensated for the terrible care and the loss. Any woman who doesn't understand how devastating this can be to a man is sadly lacking in empathy and I feel sorry for any man she lives with. Our vets – anyone – deserves better care than he received – and more sympathy than he is getting from many of the commentors.

October 3, 2012 at 21:50 | Report abuse |
    • Balanced Brain

Most women are not losing their breasts and uteri due to medical error, but due to illness, in which case they have "agreed" to such surgery, undesirable as it might be. I'm pretty sure if you had to have your breast(s) or your uterus removed due to a medical error, you would be suing too. Like, they removed the wrong breast when you went in for a mastectomy – and now you have to go through surgery again to have the correct one removed. And, yes, you would probably adapt (or grieve forever because you can't have children), but whoever messed up should also have to pay – for your reconstruction and/or for your loss. I am probably fighting a losing battle here in trying to get you to empathize with someone else because I'm thinking that you are not capable of empathizing. (I'm betting that you are a Republican....)

October 3, 2012 at 22:10 | Report abuse |
    • CC

You do understand anatomy right? Because it doesn't look like you do.

October 3, 2012 at 22:21 | Report abuse |
    • Balanced Brain

If that was directed at me, I do understand anatomy but left out the part of my sentence referring to a hysterectomy (due to medical error) as part of my example. The point is the same – if you lose a body part due to a medical error – you have a right to be compensated and brought back to as close to normal as possible.

October 4, 2012 at 14:29 | Report abuse |
  14. mark

What a disgrace!!! This man served his country and was the victim of medical neglect at a VA hospital. He deserves our sympathy, our thanks and our prayers. Shame on you Penile Patrol

October 3, 2012 at 18:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • InMyHappyPlace

He does deserve praise and thanks. He should not stand around with his hand out waiting for it. But unless the need for a penile implant was caused by injury on duty or at the cause of the military, he should not be getting it taken care of at the tax payers cost. I am a veteran and I would NOT expect to take such a medical procedure to the VA.

October 3, 2012 at 22:50 | Report abuse |
    • Won

LOL! YEAH RIGHT! IF YOU GET YOUR BRAINS BLOWN OFF FROM IDE; would you demand a brain transplant at tax payers' expense? I BET!

October 4, 2012 at 01:02 | Report abuse |
    • anna

Then you put the money out for him, whether he served in the military or not he doesnt deserve ten million dollars for being an idiot.

October 4, 2012 at 13:35 | Report abuse |
  15. Jim

Yep and the VA model is what Obamacare will ultimately use for YOUR healthcare. It is the ONLY model they have! Fair warning.

October 3, 2012 at 18:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Tim W.

Without knowing the reasons behind the implant.....I will not comment on if he deserves to sue or not. I dislike reading stuff like this as they do not tell the whole story !

October 3, 2012 at 18:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. pop

Should this article be CENSORED?

October 3, 2012 at 18:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. LB122344

Unfortunately, from some of the reports I have seen, some VA hospitals are notorious for giving poor care, no compassion and little to no respect. Our veterans deserve better. I have a Facebook friend who could write a book about how poorly he has been treated at the VA he must often go to. Shame on those medical people who seem to not give a care about their patients.

October 3, 2012 at 18:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Les Too

My best buddy served during the Vietnam era. He passed away this last weekend from cancer. That very same cancer was growing in him for five years and the VA treated him for "arthritis the whole time. By the time I was able to get him to my personal physician, it was stage 4 and had spread throughout his body, In spite of a report to the VA from Hershey Medical telling them he had cancer. They continued to withhold treatment because "we spent enough money on him so far" and "he said he had arthritis". so that is what we are treating. The VA health system needs to be investigated and reformed.

October 4, 2012 at 14:21 | Report abuse |
  19. Mark9988

The fact that there is such thing as a 'penectomy' is disturbing. Very disturbing.

October 3, 2012 at 19:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Pierogie61

Those of you posting stupid and idiotic comments about a U.S. miltary veteran, please move to a country that "appreciates" your comments. #%^*bags! Obviously you don't understand why you can do ANYTHING FREELY in my country! I didn't serve my country for 26 years for your sorry asses...GUARANTEED!

October 3, 2012 at 19:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • NN

You got that right- anyone who puts themselves in harm's way to protect this crowd is a sucker.

October 3, 2012 at 20:38 | Report abuse |
    • John

NN Many of us have put our selves in harms way to protect our families, our citizenry and our way of life. That includes the ability for you to call us suckers or for the other posters here to be uneducated and post derogatory remarks.

October 3, 2012 at 20:47 | Report abuse |
  21. pantagruel30

Won't be as much after lawyers' fees, taxes, etc. Obvious malpractice. Pay the man.

October 3, 2012 at 19:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. mlr

Government healthcare at it's finest...

October 3, 2012 at 19:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Yeti

Gotta love government healthcare, something as simple as check the ice packs gets overlooked. If they were on for 19 hours, at least 2 different nurses on the floor should have noticed when they got sign out and two physicians. Sad.

October 3, 2012 at 19:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. mlr

Implants are not just for "slacker" vets as someone said. My neighbor lost his legs in Iraq... and in the process received damage that required an implant so that he and his wife could still have kids. geezzz people... put brains in gear before just trashing a vet...

October 3, 2012 at 19:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Mel

What ice last 19 hours?

October 3, 2012 at 19:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ropi

Special govmint ice.

October 3, 2012 at 23:39 | Report abuse |
    • Svenghooli

Vanilla Ice only lasted about a year.....

October 4, 2012 at 13:06 | Report abuse |
  26. BK

Why was he getting a penile implant REPLACEMENT at a VA hospital? Those are government funded now? Are health benefits from the VA partially (or totally) subsidized by tax dollars?

October 3, 2012 at 19:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • AR

Anyone who is dumb enough to think that a penile implant is cosmetic surgery like breast implants is probably not intelligent enough to use the internet successfully. People like you are why computer viruses spread. Think before you write or speak, it'll save you a lot of trouble in the long run. And talking less, for you, will mean less drool on your shoes, always a plus.

October 3, 2012 at 20:02 | Report abuse |
    • John

BK for your edification plaese review my response to Fifi above.

October 3, 2012 at 20:49 | Report abuse |
  27. Larry

NO amount of money could replace a non-functioning Johnson.

October 3, 2012 at 19:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • George

He is 61 dude! even if he is still active, the chicks he is with are nasty dried up old ladies.

October 4, 2012 at 03:18 | Report abuse |
    • LilySue

Then I guess that would describe me – I'm about the same age . . . But I don't consider myself "nasty and dried up." BTW, I am also a military veteran, you MORON!!!!!!

October 4, 2012 at 15:07 | Report abuse |
  28. rdp

I was wondering the same thing. An ice pack would only last a couple of hours. Unless the nurse changed the packs often, there is no way an ice pack could remain frozen for 19 straight hours with direct contact with the skin out in the open air. If a nurse continued to apply ice to the area, without a break in application, then this WAS NOT following the standard of care. There is another question that needs to be asked, why did the patient or the patient's family not question the leaving of an ice pack in place for so many hours. Unless the patient was incomptent, he should take some responsibility for his care. Further, did the doctor not look in on him during this 19 hour time frame? Usually on rounds in the hospital, the surgeon wants to see the surgical site. There are some things that just do not add up.

October 3, 2012 at 19:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. R. Harris

So in the 19 hours the ice pack sat on his 'stuff' he never himself took action and removed it. If he is this dumb after 61 years to not take action himself and too know anything cold on skin for more then a few hours is bad is his fault just as much as anyone providing care.

He I'm sure already had a 'thing' that did not work so was like I might as well get me something. I'll go to the Dr. for the surgery and just leave ice on it for 19 hours and play dumb. "I didn't know or even have a clue ice on my 'thingy' would do damage."

October 3, 2012 at 19:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rob

Or he could be sedated since he just got out of surgery. at best hevily medicated. So im sure he was totally alert and wondering why he cant feel his weiner......Think your the one thats dumb.

October 3, 2012 at 23:46 | Report abuse |
    • Rob

And just because it needs help with the Up and Down....dosnt mean it dosnt work. This man could have been sexually active into his 90's.

October 3, 2012 at 23:47 | Report abuse |
  30. wolfie1971

I've been a first response first aid attendant for 10 years... I have never heard of an ice pack that has lasted 19 straight hours... either the nurse(s) changed the ice pack over the of time in question or he's lying...

October 3, 2012 at 20:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. gaucho420

I've never seen a country so gung-ho for war, yet who treats its returning veterans like such garbage. And then, we have people here who suggest the veteran, in a drugged up stated, should've somehow known better...I'm sorry, isn't that what we pay the f'ing doctors for?

October 3, 2012 at 20:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Viet Vet

Yeah rol, it's this kind of thinking is why I told my children when they were young to not go into the military. Sure when you're on the front you get cookies & such maybe (I never did but then I didn’t join for cookies…) but once you suffer damage the American public turns their collective back on you and the VA takes an adversarial position against you, or at least they did to me & many others I have spoken with on the VA grounds.

October 3, 2012 at 20:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

Viet, On time it took over 4 months for a batch of cookies to arrive on my submarine from my wife. A little stale, but some of the other guys devoured them 🙂

October 3, 2012 at 21:01 | Report abuse |
    • Rick Springfield

Ah yes, some of those special cookies. The kind you want to avoid having any open flames around when you consume them.

October 3, 2012 at 22:15 | Report abuse |
    • Samantha

Thank you! My Dad lost both of his legs in 'Nam. He didn't do it for "freebies", to impress chicks, or to kill innocent people: he did it because he was a proud AMERICAN and wanted to perform his civic duty. I don't know this guy's story; maybe i's true, maybe it's not, but I've heard of people in this country suing for far less!. Maybe this guy is just angry over fighting a stupid war that's left him paralyzed, maybe he served his time and got shot smoking crack in an alley, maybe he stabbed himself in the scrotum playing basketball, OR maybe some people have NO idea of what goes on in a VA hospital!! I know the freezing point of water & how long an ice pack lasts, however, the VA has some of the WORST employees!!! It could've easily been several lazy nurses who failed to check his "junk" & kept replacing the ice packs. If he was a PARAPLEGIC, like my Dad, he WOULD NOT "feel" the effects of the temp. I really hope this is a legitimate lawsuit.

October 4, 2012 at 02:42 | Report abuse |
    • Dana

I bet you vote for Romney too.

October 4, 2012 at 13:26 | Report abuse |
    • tjp44

as will the majority!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 4, 2012 at 15:33 | Report abuse |
  33. Rick Springfield

There should be an indemnity for veterans hospitals. No doctor wants to work at them because of the higher risk of suits from people who come in much worse then the general population. Then nearly every patient leaves wanting to sue someone. I've never heard one single success story from the VA. Not a one, everybody I know who goes in comes out bitter and dejected. If the system is that bad, why do we have it anyway? Why not close the VA medical system and just allocate the funding for veterans to attend a regular hospital. Of course they would need to get behind the 30 million illegals who use our public funded hospitals as free clnics.

October 3, 2012 at 20:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

You sampling size is pretty small. My wife is working on her masters in Hospital Administration and the VA is very highly rated in their course work. As a disabled Vet, I discuss the VA system a lot with other vets. Most of them are satified with the service and the cost per patient is much lower than that in a civilian hospital. Secondly, I have met great doctors, nurses, PAs APRNs and other staff who are happy to work there or are honing their skills. As one who uses both VA and private health plans, any surgeries I have had are normally done in a private hospital as the proximity to my family is better. So unless you have read the current literature on health care or experienced,don't let a few set your opinion.

October 3, 2012 at 20:57 | Report abuse |
    • John

Additionally, the surgeons and staff are indemnified at the VA hospitals as government employees. This suite is filled against the federal government, not the nursing staff that failed to monitor the patient.

October 3, 2012 at 20:59 | Report abuse |
  34. b

dude ought to be happy it didn't happen when he was 18.

October 3, 2012 at 20:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. ain't all about the junk

Larry: you and most other men still haven't discovered that your JUNK is only a small part of what feels good to a lady. Learn to use your lips, tongue, vocabulary, hands and toys: learn to use toys. He'll be 1,000X better to his partner if he forgets about his stump and starts using what he still has but has never used before. Most guys are so dumb.

October 3, 2012 at 20:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • soulcatcher

But, he's no use to himself...which I think was the point.

October 4, 2012 at 13:01 | Report abuse |
    • Balanced Brain

What about what feels good to him? Sex is reciprocal. I spent 15 years with a guy who was impotent due to diabetes – but at least he still had his "member" and enjoyed it feeling good. And he was great at taking care of me., so, yes, there is lots you can do without all the vital parts. However if a medical error is the cause, you should be compensated and provided the opportunity for reconstruction. Show a little heart!

October 4, 2012 at 14:20 | Report abuse |
  36. NN

Many of the comments here confirm that some of the trashiest people in the world live in USA.

October 3, 2012 at 20:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. chessyjames

His wife reports that he has been frigid lately.

October 3, 2012 at 20:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • nobull4U

You are a very cold person to say such a thing!

October 3, 2012 at 23:25 | Report abuse |
  38. LibertyQueen

Oh, please, cut the delusional pretense of protecting our 'freedom'. What a lot of BS. WE protect our freedom. Losers in uniform rape and se xually assault women in the military. One less flaccid dangling piece of flesh is one less rapist. Quit getting these implants on OUR dollars... now there's a waste of taxpayer dollars. Don't like your little flaccid dangling piece of flesh, too bad... get over it, losers.

October 3, 2012 at 20:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kathleen

spoken like a true les be frein

October 3, 2012 at 20:55 | Report abuse |
    • NN

So let me see if I have your reasoning down, sh_t-for-brains. It's okay to fund a military comprised of "losers" and "rapists" but just don't fund their penile implants and reconstructive surgery, is that what you're saying? And you claim to protect our freedoms, is that right? What a sad little nobody you are.

October 3, 2012 at 21:07 | Report abuse |
    • Sagebrush Shorty

Queen is appropriate.

October 3, 2012 at 21:21 | Report abuse |
    • Jacob

It's funny that you bring up sexual assault in the military because I have seen plenty of higher ranking females doing it to newely enlisted males. I guess statements like yours are common, common for people who never been in, or around the military. Gotta love the people who are know-it alls!

October 3, 2012 at 22:55 | Report abuse |
    • Aine57

Yes, there is a big problem with rape in the military and at home. This does NOT mean that all men are rapists-in-waiting, and your equation of them as such is reprehensible. Women do not have a monopoly on moral credibility any more than men have a lack of it. Grow up and get rid of your vicious stereotypes.

October 4, 2012 at 03:17 | Report abuse |
  39. Kathleen

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh my eyes hurt now

October 3, 2012 at 20:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. ?

Horrid. Sue them bastids. Some guys don't even have 5" to spare.

October 3, 2012 at 20:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Bob

He's suing???? It wasn't working anyway and he's already 60 years old!

October 3, 2012 at 21:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • NN

Maybe he's a sperm donor, isn't that how you came about? Doesn't sound exactly like you're a eugenicist's dream.

October 3, 2012 at 21:13 | Report abuse |
    • Deb Ed

Honey, let me tell you, age doesn't matter. My husband is 77 years old and his piston could whip yours any day.

October 3, 2012 at 23:12 | Report abuse |
    • Aine57

Strangely enough, men at 60 and above kind of prefer to avoid castration - and I assume you're not 60 yet.

October 4, 2012 at 03:18 | Report abuse |
  42. relzey

note to self: Ignore any stories containing Kentucky + penises

October 3, 2012 at 21:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. W..... T.... F?!?!!!??!??!???!!?!?!?!?!?!?

Write this man a check for whatever he wants.

October 3, 2012 at 21:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Jack

The VA "hospital" system needs to be abolished and all qualified veterans should receive a government issued insurance card just like any other normal American. The influx of patients would do a lot to save a lot of county-level hospitals, the level of service would go up, and many veterans wouldn't have to travel hundreds of miles to receive routine treatments.

This is NOT rocket science, folks. Why should our veterans get anything less?

October 3, 2012 at 21:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Aine57

VA hospitals handle injuries that many other doctors and medical facilities will never see. Many of the personnel in VA hospitals are excellent, and having doctors who often know about combat personally as well as programs involving other veterans with whom one can identify can be invaluable to patients. This case is tragic, but it's not a good argument for the elimination of VA facilities.

October 4, 2012 at 03:22 | Report abuse |
  45. Lexington VA Med Center sucks!!!

I actually go to the VA medical center here in Lexington and I will tell you from my experiences that they have NUMEROUS doctors that are from different countries. They also tend to use medical students/residents from the University of Kentucky. I have been treated very poorly there over the years. My primary care physician refuses to send me to the proper people for the treatments that I need.

October 3, 2012 at 21:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. John

10 million dollars!?!? LOL, ridiculous. How about instead they pay for the reconstructive surgery, counseling and any further care required going forward. And of course fire the incompetent nurse involved.

Lawyers are such bottom feeders.

October 3, 2012 at 22:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. InMyHappyPlace

Why is the VA doing an penile implant for a person in their 60's, or any age for that matter. There are veterans out there being turned away for PTSD problems and looking for help with prosthetics for arms, legs and other much more pertinent appendages. Why are our taxes paying for this? At his age he should be happy he can still peeeeee!!!!

October 3, 2012 at 22:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Laura

...and now he can't, nitwit. That's part of the problem–all functions of his penis have been impaired by this hospital's incompetence. Penile implants aren't cosmetic.

October 3, 2012 at 23:19 | Report abuse |
  48. AgrippaMT

Another Viet Nam loser seeking money. His missing appendage was not frost bitten there.

October 3, 2012 at 22:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. mdmann

I just love how there are all of these conflicting anecdotes about VA hospitals. They're full of Asian and Middle Eastern "Nurse Ratchets," they've always treated me like I was important. They try to do painful procedures without anesthesia, I always have any procedures recommended by my doctor done by the VA. I have no clue what message is supposed to be taken from these contradictory reports. So, I'm just going to take both sides as utterly untrustworthy garbage opinions, and assume that the truth is somewhere in the middle of these extremes.

October 3, 2012 at 22:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. svanna

Holy cow, where do they get these nurses? How could anyone be that stupid and have a degree?

October 3, 2012 at 22:55 | Report abuse | Reply