home
RSS
New option for late-stage colon cancer patients
September 27th, 2012

New option for late-stage colon cancer patients

Patients with late-stage, metastatic colon cancer who have run out of treatment options will soon have a new drug available that might help.

The drug Stivarga was approved on Thursday under the Food and Drug Administration's "fast track" program, which speeds up approval for drugs that work significantly better than other available therapies or where no treatments exist at all.

According to a study of 760 patients with late-stage colon cancer, Stivarga helped patients in the treatment group live an average of 1.4 months longer than patients taking a placebo; and patients had less tumor growth in the time they were taking the drugs.

Despite its success the drug has many side effects, including fatigue, loss of appetite, diarrhea, mouth sores, weight loss, infection, high blood pressure and changes in voice volume.  The FDA is also requiring the drug's manufacturer, Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals, to include a warning label, alerting patients that fatal liver toxicity did occur in some study patients.

1. izzy

yay! now for no side effects and completely erradicating the tumors but any improvement is a WIN!!!

September 27, 2012 at 15:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Barb

People need to go to the doctor for regular colonoscopies. Cancer deaths from colon cancer would drop like a rock if people were tested regularly. A large percentage of cancer deaths are from colon cancer. It would be so heartening to see people being tested regularly for something that is largely treatable in early stage cancer.

September 27, 2012 at 20:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Elizabeth

My husband was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer (spread to lymph nodes) ONE YEAR after a clean colonoscopy. If you have pain, and a doctor says "IBS," and just prescribes anti-spasmodics, think again. "IBS" (irritable bowel syndrome) really means "I BS," a doctor who is too lazy to do a CEA blood test along with that colonoscopy.

September 27, 2012 at 22:18 | Report abuse |
    • VladT

While I sympathize for you and your husband, turning your anger toward all doctors helps nothing. It is possible your husband had a healthy colon at the time of the test, then developed an aggressive form of the cancer later that year. I wish you and him the best

September 28, 2012 at 07:59 | Report abuse |
    • Squeezebox

Early detection doesn't always save lives. My mother had a colonoscopy, they found something growing in the colon wall and tried to remove it. She died from an infection following the surgery. 🙁

September 28, 2012 at 17:29 | Report abuse |
    • lawrencewinkler

It's easy to talk about cancer and death when it seems perhaps far off. But, when the inevitable is approaching?

I certainly understand one's desire to blame somebody for mistakes and not caring when bad diagnosis is offered. But illness and death is not avoidable and it's nobody's fault most of the time. "If only I'd .....", "If only they'd ..." we would live forever?

September 30, 2012 at 11:45 | Report abuse |
  3. Gary

I'm glad we are making progress in fighting cancer, but I'm not sure it's worth 1.4 months to live with those side effects. I wonder what it costs?

September 27, 2012 at 20:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jake

10 grand a month. Chemo drugs that extend life for a short period of time filled with side effects should be paid for by the patient. Our tax dollars will pay for cures but should not be going to the shareholders of BigPharma while you live an extra 1.4 months wasting away in bed from awful side effects and poor quality of life.

September 28, 2012 at 00:37 | Report abuse |
  4. AFP1966

Another unneeded new drug. Cannabis Cures Cancer! Check out all the science and successes on youtube!

September 27, 2012 at 21:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jackie

Yeah, because youtube is where all intelligent people go to get accurate scientific information. All those doctors who went into debt while spending years in school just wasted tons of time and money. They should have just watched youtube!

September 28, 2012 at 04:20 | Report abuse |
    • Max Brooks

Jackie,

Nice straw man. AFP1966 didn't say that cannabis cures cancer _because_ there are videos about it on YouTube. YouTube is simply the quickest way to present the information to people who are too lazy to research the information for themselves. (Kind of like the 'Medical cannabis' article on Wikipedia...) Any new scientific information mentioned on YouTube about cannabis can be easily Google'd in order to locate the relevant studies on cannabis.

September 28, 2012 at 15:17 | Report abuse |
  5. docthailand

Sawasdee krap khun FAMily ... Hello from Thailand. 😉

We have been Missionaries in Thailand for SIX years now and when we can we get News from you ALL ... PTL !!
    Thank YOU all !!

I heard a lot of Health Info from you all ... BUT never from a BIBLE perspective. ;-(

Please look at My Webpages on BIBLE Design Health and please let me know what you think ??

Love in His PASSiON, DOC. 😉

Phra JAO uay phra pon krap ... God has blessed, Khru "DOC" = Daniel C. Docto. 😉

CLICK Here for my Testimony ... my Heart on Divine Health. 😉

CLICK Here for INFO on Divine Health PRINCIPLES. 😉

CLICK Here for INFO on 40 Day Divine Diet ... You CAN Do It. 😉

CLICK Here for 1-2-3 KO Punch Formula for Divine Health. 😉

September 27, 2012 at 21:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Elizabeth

My husband has colon cancer. At the beginning of chemo therapy, patients are told that there are lots of options, but in fact, there are only a few treatments. If those treatments don't stop the growth of cancer, then there aren't any other drugs to use. This is very good news if it is an effective treatment.
    However, the FDA also ignores cancer treatments that are not produced by the big pharmaceutical companies. The FDA has a system where pharmaceutical companies pay a high "fee" so their drugs may be evaluated; this "fee" ensures that less expensive treatments are never tested. The FDA also rarely tests drugs; they rely on industry researchers, but those researchers are often paid by giant fundraisers or by the government. One does of some treatments costs $80,000.
    I know that the work of doctors like Burzinski is controversial, because he never paid the fee. However, his work was used by companies that the FDA did approve, in fact, some of his patents were stolen. If there were any honesty in the government's oversight of medicines, there would be more cures. This is not just a theory for my family, but it is close to a life and death situation. Watching somebody slowly lose their life is excruciating, and nothing in this article gives me any confidence that there is any real new treatment. People live 1.4 more months? Really? That's not a cure, and is a terrible insult to cancer patients and their families.

September 27, 2012 at 22:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Elizabeth

(Sorry: one dose)

September 27, 2012 at 22:20 | Report abuse |
    • VladT

The company and/or group of individuals who developed a cure for cancer, even if it only cost $5 a dose, would be set for life both in fame and fortune. To imply there is a cure out there but "Big Pharma" is preventing it due to lack of profit is ludicrous, and demonstrates to us readers that either you just don't like doctors, or the inability to cure a loved one's disease has made you turn your grief into anger directed at individuals who may be actually trying to find better treatments

September 28, 2012 at 08:08 | Report abuse |
    • Paul

The FDA never tests drugs. It evaluates the clinical trials performed by pharmaceutical companies (or organizations paid by pharmaceutical companies) to determine if the drug is safe and effective. If the results of clinical trials are found to have been manipulated, the penalty for the pharmaceutical company is very severe. Certainly pharmaceutical companies do a lot of things that are unethical but to imply that they are completely evil is a bit of a stretch.

September 28, 2012 at 11:22 | Report abuse |
  7. mike fox

You live 1.4 months longer than those who didn't take it ??? Not hardly a cure or a treatment now is it.... just a temporary setback.

September 28, 2012 at 08:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Bob

Oy yeah! Another uber expensive cancer treatment that gives you false hope, and, on average, gives you 1.4 more months of life, but makes you feel so miserable you'll wish you were dead anyway! Ka-ching for Pharma!

September 28, 2012 at 11:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Christine

While I don't profess to be a doctor, I would imagine that the doctor who did your husband's colonoscopy ELIZABETH must have missed your husbands cancer. I have never heard of a cancer to progress that quickly in the colon within a years time after nothing was there the year before. The tumors usually take a lot longer to progress ......I had a doctor miss a very vital polyp I had.....was found in my next colonoscopy ......found in exactly the same spot my mothers colon cancer was. I did not have a good doctor at all who missed that dangerous polyp. Not all doctors out there are good......Best wishes to your husband.....

September 29, 2012 at 01:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. kim

the recommended age for your first colonoscopy is 50. I had no family history or any signs or symptems; I had to have an emergency appendectomy and was told the appendix was cancer and have since had a colon resection where they also found it had spread to my liver and lymphnodes. . I have been diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. I just turned 50 in august and had no symptoms. I'm supposed to start chemo in couple of weeks.

October 3, 2012 at 01:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Peggy

Kim~ I'm sorry. You must be devastated! It's a tough battle, but one, I believe you can win! Hang in there! Cheering for you! Praying for you up to the sky with sparkles!

October 4, 2012 at 00:35 | Report abuse |
  11. natural herpes cure free

hello there and thank you in your information ? I have certainly picked up anything new from proper here. I did then again expertise several technical points using this website, as I experienced to reload the web site lots of instances previous to I may get it to load correctly. I were brooding about if your web hosting is OK? Now not that I'm complaining, however slow loading cases occasions will often impact your placement in google and can injury your quality ranking if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I'm adding this RSS to my email and can glance out for much more of your respective fascinating content. Ensure that you update this again soon..

November 26, 2012 at 22:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Cris

This drug has really been harsh on my family member. Horrible hand and foot syndrome to the point that use of hands was severely limited and walking was so painful. I know everyone is different and possibly this medication will offer benefits to others.

May 14, 2013 at 21:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. myamazingrecoveryblog

My partner was diagnosed with anal cancer and some complicated gastrointestinal tract infections Luckily he had an encounter with Dr Jose, a renowned Italian doctor that helped him overcome his cancer and other infections in less than two and a half months, just with the use of herbal medicine and spiritual help, i can now boldly say He is cancer free and a proud living testimony,Dr Jose is known to be able to tackle any type of cancer found in the human body, God forbids any one should suffer here on earth, thats why I believe he created all these herbs, if you also want to clear your doubts and fight cancer to the barest minimum, take the bull by the horn and avoid death, you can contact our Doctor, by his email joseherbals28@gmail.com

February 22, 2017 at 04:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Princess

I have been struggling from herpes for years, i have tried all sort of drugs but no permanent cure but i am happy to say i was cured from herpes permanently 2 weeks ago..He brought my lover back with his spiritual prayers..Thank you so much for this [[Robinson.buckler@ yahoo . com]]…………h t t p s : // robinbuckler . com

Kidney failure
    Pile
    Elephantiasis
    Skin Infection
    Paralysis

December 24, 2020 at 10:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Colton Tullius

I had noticed RickSimpsonOil.co.uk hasmoved to https://RickSimpson.is they are good company to work with. Definately top quality !!

February 19, 2021 at 22:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Jospeh Tacason

An brilliant thorough article on Rick SImpson Oil(RSO), and insomnia a geat read. Check out https://ricksimpson.is/curing-insomnia-with-rso/

February 28, 2021 at 02:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. ClarkTauts

m0aqe sqgyb wfth

February 28, 2021 at 10:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. shop cc

392867 366961This internet web site is my breathing in, truly excellent layout and perfect content material . 646701

February 28, 2021 at 23:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Sherri Lawerance

An brilliant thorough research paper on RSO (Rick SImpson Oil), and medical marijuana a geat read!! Check out https://ricksimpson.is

March 2, 2021 at 23:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Digital Transformation services

129204 318586I as effectively conceive so , perfectly indited post! . 891665

March 5, 2021 at 09:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. 밤토끼시즌2

968509 93542I entirely agree with you about this matter. Good post. Already bookmarked for future reference. 320942

March 14, 2021 at 01:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. zortilo nrel

What i do not realize is actually how you're not actually much more well-liked than you might be now. You are very intelligent. You realize therefore considerably relating to this subject, produced me personally consider it from so many varied angles. Its like women and men aren't fascinated unless it’s one thing to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs outstanding. Always maintain it up!

March 21, 2021 at 18:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Study in Nigeria

927208 791589Hello to all I cannot comprehend the strategy to add your web site in my rss reader. Assist me, please 687043

March 26, 2021 at 00:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Danette Villacorta

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

May 11, 2021 at 09:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Lupe Baus

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

May 12, 2021 at 06:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Brice Gutknecht

I don't know about you guys but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/03/boeing-787-dreamliner-za003-and-boeing-747-8f-rc522-take-flight-today/

May 16, 2021 at 19:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Elayne Mconnell

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

May 17, 2021 at 09:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Cayla Fester

I don't know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/01/ryan-air-is-told-their-boarding-pass-fees-are-not-fair/

May 19, 2021 at 06:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Geraldo Yeager

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl articles and blogs

May 20, 2021 at 05:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Orville Bolenbaugh

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

May 21, 2021 at 03:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Marisa Butanda

I don't know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/07/can-airline-in-flight-entertainment-keep-up-should-it-try/

May 22, 2021 at 03:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Cherri Allvin

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

May 23, 2021 at 05:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Shannan Maffett

Akhir-akhir ini banyak komentar jahat dari para penyokong regu sepakbola kepada regu lawan. Apakah ini akan berimbas besar pada kulitas pemain sepakbola? Jangan komentar jahat-jahat kepada siapa saja. Yang patut kita lakukan yaitu menyokong tiap permainan yang diwujudkan.

May 27, 2021 at 20:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Newton Kalley

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

May 28, 2021 at 06:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Pete Beuthin

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

May 29, 2021 at 06:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Jeramy Henebry

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

May 30, 2021 at 07:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Todd Bertel

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

May 31, 2021 at 06:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Chance Hammel

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

June 3, 2021 at 00:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Ressie Barney

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 5, 2021 at 14:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. allen

I’m indeed very happy for the great help that Dr Osebor rendered to me,I was diagnosed with HSV 2 on July 7, 2017 and I have tried all possible means to get cure but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum concerning herbal doctor Dr Osebor, who prepares herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases/Infection including Herpes Simplex virus Type 2, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbal doctor via his email,oseborwinbacktemple@gmail.com He assured me of a cure, he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me instructions on how to use it, when i applied it as instructed, i was cured of this deadly virus within 18 days of usage,he told me to go for a medical check up and i went for test, I couldn't believe i was negative and the HERPES VIRUS in my body got cured, I and my family are so happy and grateful to God for using Dr Osebor to Liberate me. Reach Out to this great herbal doctor via his email : oseborwinbacktemple@gmail.com you can also reach him on WhatsApp +2348073245515

June 7, 2021 at 06:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Murray Kho

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 7, 2021 at 12:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. James Caroline

I’m very excited to inform everyone that I’m completely cured from HSV1&2 recently. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it’s really help during my outbreaks but I totally got cured from HSV1&2 with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from a powerful herbalist called Dr. Riaria and it completely fought the virus away my nervous system and I tested negative after 14 days of using the herbal medicine. I’m here to let everyone know that the herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr. Riaria and his herbal exploit. Contact him via email: drriaria@gmail.com  or WhatsApp him at +2349134987375.

June 8, 2021 at 21:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Eric Cruce

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 10, 2021 at 05:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Dudley Snipe

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

June 12, 2021 at 18:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Deedee Guyett

I don't know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/03/the-boeing-787-dreamliner-on-the-new-schedule/

June 13, 2021 at 05:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Darrel Fardo

I don't know about you guys but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2009/11/video-a-pilots-day-in-less-than-5-minutes/

June 13, 2021 at 19:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Thao Baty

I don't know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/05/behind-the-scenes-how-they-got-the-787-dreamliner-and-boeing-40c-pictures/

June 14, 2021 at 00:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Ezequiel Mosure

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

June 15, 2021 at 05:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Erich Wilusz

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

June 21, 2021 at 19:27 | Report abuse | Reply