home
RSS
Military leaders: We're still too fat to fight
One in four young adults are too overweight to join the U.S. military, a group of retired military leaders says.
September 25th, 2012

Military leaders: We're still too fat to fight

Childhood obesity isn't just a health issue, according to a group of retired military leaders. It's also a national security issue.

One in four young adults are too overweight to join the U.S. military, a new report from the advocacy group Mission: Readiness says. And the U.S. Department of Defense spends an estimated $1 billion each year on medical care related to obesity issues for active duty members, their dependents and veterans.

"No other major country's military forces face the challenges of weight gain confronting America's armed forces," according to the report.

"At the end of the day, the reason America is safe and sound is not because of its tanks," adds retired Lt. Gen. Norman Seip, spokesman for Mission: Readiness. "It’s really the men and women who volunteer and so proudly serve."

Kids on average consume 130 "empty" calories a day from candy, cookies and chips, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Mission: Readiness has been working to get rid of junk food in schools since 2010, when it supported the passing of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act. The act requires the USDA to update nutrition standards in schools.

Mission: Readiness believes having healthier food in the cafeteria and in vending machines will help slow - or even reverse - rising childhood obesity rates. And healthy children are more likely to grow up to be healthy adults who can serve their country.

"We’re not picking on the schools," Seip says. "The schools are part of the solution. We like to think that this obesity problem... is one that’s going to require all of America to tackle."

1. donklos

Wouldn't it be cheaper for the military to initiate strong educational programs on fitness than having to pay all those medical bills? And shouldn't the Pentagon have identified that long before I typed it?

September 25, 2012 at 16:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • msgmark

Overall this report is fairly accurate. I have served for 24 years now, the issue as a leader is the Army has turned a blind eye to this issue. I t comes down to making personal choices in diet and exercise. Like most American's the thought of working out, and watching what you eat is to tough to make for most people. The system has allowed Fat Soldiers to stay in without fear of discharge or recommendations to deny promotions. This system is currently allowed these FAT Soldiers to stay in a military that once took pride in our physical appearance, and how the uniform fit. The struggle that we will have will be holding these Soldiers accountable for their lack of fitness, and start the process of discharging them from further service.

September 25, 2012 at 18:16 | Report abuse |
    • Mchael

It would be cheaper to throw out the fat ones with no self control. If you don't have the discipline to control your own waist line how do you have the discipline for the military.

September 25, 2012 at 18:28 | Report abuse |
    • msgmark

Michael,

Very true, the issue is; for too long ( since 9/11) we haven't been throwing these troops out, and yes discipline suffers, these are usually the first ones to complain and file complaints on their chain of command for abusing their rights, the lack the discipline to stop eating, and the discipline to loss weight, and to stay in shape. They don't deploy because they are so out of shape they are the walking wounded. They stay in rear hold desk jobs, and go home every night to their soft warm beds.

September 25, 2012 at 18:39 | Report abuse |
  2. hoss

Why would anyone want to join this counries army?....USA fails its vets, it puts them in traumatizing situations, then when they snap due to the stress of war the traumatize them some more.....lets face it, if we was not trying to be the world's police we probably wouldn't even need an offensive or most likey a defnsive army....truth is the poor fill thier armies and then they get called "moochers" "baby killers" and many other thing both by the populous and by the government....this country claims it fights for freedom and equality when the very fabric of this socialist society is all about classes and inequality, the tax system and min wage system GUARANTEES the poor never get out of debt because the yearly taxes by far surpass the minimum wage increases...the rich get richer and the poor get poorer...maybe its better that we are to fat to fight..as all the things our forefathers fought for are now non-existent...Freedom of Speech?...only if it doesn't offend immigrants and sinners...ladies and gentlemen our country is failing because the rich are greedy and the poor see no reason to be patriotic...instead of raising an army, how about we raise our poor out of debt and give them a fair chance at the American dream...how about we do away with discriminatory hiring and and overtaxing the poor, you want an army put your own kids in it.... posting this in part again because i meant it to be a main thread and not a response

September 25, 2012 at 17:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • latuya

You lost me at "if we was not".

September 25, 2012 at 17:16 | Report abuse |
    • hoss

i imagine life loses you lol

September 25, 2012 at 17:20 | Report abuse |
    • Mark

No, life doesn't lose latuya. You just have terrible, unreadable grammar.

September 25, 2012 at 17:30 | Report abuse |
    • hoss

What is more important?, the message conveyed or my grammar?....if you say my grammar you are a sorry individual

September 25, 2012 at 17:34 | Report abuse |
    • John

An yet, the grammer is good enough that, when you get done looking down your nose, the point is well taken.

September 25, 2012 at 17:37 | Report abuse |
    • Todd in DC

The military's biggest problem is waistlines, it's skimping on veterans' physical and psychological rehibilitation when they shatter their bodies and minds trying to keep us protected.

September 25, 2012 at 17:44 | Report abuse |
    • dougtawa

"...the tax system and min wage system GUARANTEES the poor never get out of debt because the yearly taxes by far surpass the minimum wage increases..."

You really have NO idea.... An single parent of two young children, working at a big box retail store, making $10.50/hour, pays approximately $750/year in Federal Income Tax With-holding... That person then receives a "refund" of more than $7000!

Now tell me how I'm not paying my "fair share" of taxes.....

September 25, 2012 at 17:56 | Report abuse |
    • Boston Mary

September 25, 2012 at 18:19 | Report abuse |
    • hoss

according to my math, a full time employee who earns 10.50 an hour earns 23,100 per year gross income, they pay out 1,767 to social security and medicare, and a single child home only nets an additional 1k....and what is wrong with supporting the young of this country?.....in new york parent only get 1k per kid....and to be honest ANY hard working family should be able to do EVERYTHING its disgustingly rich employers can do...as long as a individual works hard and obeys by the law there should be no reason they can't have some luxuries, and im not even gonna go into all the % of taxes from the FDC, the banks hidden charges...and SO MANY more hidden fees.....by the time a person has paid there bills, it sucks up the vast majority of their income...hence they go into debt , you rich ppl think the poor are stupid...all those hidden charges on EVERYTHING adds up...and what ends up happening is they go into debt....now every year more and more hidden charge go onto you electric, lets look at electric by itself, the average household pays about 300 a month on that alone...sucking up another 3600 of the hard workers income...now lets look at atm's and bank fees the average atm fee is 4 dollars per 200 dollar withdrawal....adding an additional 2% taxes on a hard working person....DO i need to go on?

September 25, 2012 at 18:21 | Report abuse |
    • Mchael

The military does not put any one into stressful situations. They put them selves there by volunteering. Some one joining the military and not expecting to face adversity or conflict is like ordering orange juice at a restaurant and being surprised to find out that it is made from oranges. Get real..... My personal experience with the military is that they don't really fail anyone in so much as people fail themselves. I was left with serious disabilities from my service and they have taken good care of me and my family. I took the job. I knew the risk, I paid the price...so what. We all make choices and face the consequences. About the poor being stuck I also disagree. I know several people that came from nothing and are doing so well that they would never have to work again if they wished and they are under 50. Lots of people make it big from a very humble start. I think you are wrong ..Plain and simple.

September 25, 2012 at 18:23 | Report abuse |
    • hoss

"Hoss.........I suspect that you (with your lack of communicative skills) would NOT be allowed to join the United States Army. Sit back and relax Hoss, people like you will always be kept by better men than themselves."

what makes a man better?, the income of the said person or the morals....you are a sorry individual who looks to insult anyone who challenges your wealth.....sadly our children protect your pathetic excuse for living.....you see people how the rich view us?...as LESS than them...we aren't even humans in the eyes of the rich, we are SHEEP

September 25, 2012 at 18:27 | Report abuse |
    • Mchael

September 25, 2012 at 18:36 | Report abuse |
    • Dakota

September 25, 2012 at 18:41 | Report abuse |
    • hoss

"Lay off "all" the rich. I have rich friend's that are quite nice to me and decent people...and no they don't buy me expensive things.. but have had the decency to ask if I am doing ok and if I need anything when times have been tough. I always turn them down as I have something called pride. I have friends for who they are, not what they can do for me. Having money does not make you bad or evil. Many rich just get sick of being treated like a sack of money instead of a person. It is quite insulting to be treated this way. Most every one has a hand out and they just get sick of it and jaded."

I will Lay off the rich only when there is equal wages for everyone who works hard, ample opportunity for every American, not just a select few, i am for not only Job and Fiscal Equality, i am for total equality for all....not excluding people because they are black, or gay or hard up and desperate.....i believe if there is a god, he would not want us worshiping the almighty dollar, you are men, not gods..you have no right to look down on anyone..and most of the poor aren't looking for Handouts but instead Handu-ps...a fair chance at the American dream, i am so disgusted with our leaders and the job makers of this country that if Russia and china invaded us i would give them your addresses....you see were inequality leads?...to resentment and hate....and i would Wholeheartedly support a classless society...1 where every child born has equal value and every man and woman has the same opportunity at life....what is wrong with equality?....WAIT, i know the answer....you have taken power to your head, you wake up excited at how many people you can thumb your noses at and belittle....IS THIS WHAT AMERICA STANDS FOR?!...I AM APPALLED

September 25, 2012 at 18:47 | Report abuse |
    • Load smasher

September 25, 2012 at 18:53 | Report abuse |
    • hoss

"Who wants to fight for what? How about we stop the violence in other countries and focus on our own country. I don't know very many people that sneak around in other folks backyards for no reason. I think it's safe to assume we are exploiting these areas for their resources. The fact that our country has become desensitized and detached from the lives lost and destruction of others should be the true concern."

That might be the most HUMAN response i have heard so far....HERE HERE! let the bells of peace and equality ring

September 25, 2012 at 18:54 | Report abuse |
    • hoss

"Why would anyone join America's military? Well, I super enjoy flying on an $80 million aircraft, raining death from above..."

And that says what for you?

September 25, 2012 at 18:55 | Report abuse |
    • Me

September 25, 2012 at 18:58 | Report abuse |
    • HA25

September 25, 2012 at 18:59 | Report abuse |
    • hoss

"These all have to be the worst statements I have ever read, I truly feel sorry for every person who wasted their time even attempting to read your paragraph. I feel ashamed and sorry for you."

Feel ashamed for yourself, i stand Solely for EQUALITY

September 25, 2012 at 18:59 | Report abuse |
    • hoss

"That's fine and all, hoss – but your communist views are in the minority for a very good reason – it's been proven they don't work. That in the end, more end up poor.
      Capitalism isn't perfect and no one says it is including the rich. But "equal wages for everyone" ensures failure for America and is NEVER what our founders envisioned."

Explain to me how more people would end up poor in a equal society?...You can't because it is not possible...TRUE EQUALITY IS SOMETHING WORTH FIGHTING FOR....our "CRUSADES" against Islam is sad...and not worth the blood shed..in the end what happens?...we drop bombs on children's and parents heads, breaking families and creating un-quenchable hatred...but now this is the thing...our leaders are creating enemies at home and abroad...how does this help anyone?

September 25, 2012 at 19:05 | Report abuse |
    • HA25

I have no need to address your Crusades against Islam comment except to say that no country puts more boots on the ground (instead of using bombs) in an attempt to avert civilian casualties than does the US. That is a fact I do not expect you to understand.
      As to your inability to understand economics, I refer you to your local community college. But the argument can be summed up as "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free". No one will work hard if they will still end up the same as their neighbor who doesn't work hard.
      Alternatively, read about the price of bread during the fall of communist Russia, or go take a visit to N. Korea.

September 25, 2012 at 19:24 | Report abuse |
    • Ginger

@Hoss.. Every legal tax paying citizen has the same chance as everyone else. If they decide to screw it up for them selves so be it. But, me for one Im not going to pay for someone else's mistake. How many people are getting a welfare check when they don't wanna work at Burger King to get back on their feet. It comes down to taking the easy way out and having somebody do it for you. But, I do understand stand some people get shafted and yes we as Americans should help are fellow Americans. But, giving free hand outs F*@$ that.

September 25, 2012 at 19:47 | Report abuse |
  3. Nam Vet Tx

does the military's assessment include all the fatheaded officers in all the services? Unless things have changed ENORMOUSLY since I was in, that is where the most FAT is.

September 25, 2012 at 17:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • digger111

Namvettx, we could actually use the same name. Me and my LREPs were in great shape, but some of those officers were dusting off chairs back at garrison with some fairly huge behinds.

September 25, 2012 at 17:31 | Report abuse |
  4. k

If we had the draft today, instead of our volunteer armed services, we would not be in these protracted wars, and we would have the funds to properly take care of veterans.

September 25, 2012 at 17:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Todd in DC

I might agree with you on the first point, but definitely not the second.

September 25, 2012 at 17:46 | Report abuse |
  5. RangerDOS

I don't think there are more "fat people" just more "Fat Hysteria". So do the numbers, most people don't do military service, it's not 1 in four, so what have these ex-generals have to worry about (except sitting around on their fat behinds collecting large pensions). They don't need to worry, there's plenty of "Cannon Fodder" out there. Look it up on Wikipedia (as good a place as any) 60 million male adults eligible (fit) for military service, size of the military: less than 1.5 million. Stupid "Fat Hysteria" article. I'm 58, I've been in the military, I've seen "fat people" go in "over weight" and come out of training "in shape". "Fat Hysteria" is just another way to be a bigot. "I'm in shape, your fat, I'm better": till the "fat guy" you said that to make you swallow your teeth...

September 25, 2012 at 17:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • R Burns

I couldn't agree more! "Fat Hysteria" is just another way to be a bigot. It's so tiring to read articles and comments joining the witch hunt against obesity, blaming individuals for available food choices and the chemicals they contain. We should be tackling this from several other angles, including food processors and agricultural practices and looking at the disease of obesity, not playing the blame game. It's crazy to watch a whole society go ballistic when the system sets people up for failure, and let's face it – growth hormones and estrogen-mimicking pesticides are in almost everything we have available to eat. Even "organic" doesn't cut the bill because of the chemicals allowed for commercial organic certification. I anxiously await the day when I might be able to walk into a grocery store or restaurant and buy truly healthy food.

September 25, 2012 at 17:49 | Report abuse |
    • Cin507

Fat hysteria? Have you looked around lately? Almost everyone i see is over weight. It's become the norm & it's disgusting.

September 25, 2012 at 17:55 | Report abuse |
    • Methuselah

Denying the rising obesity is about as credible as denying climate change. The numbers say you're wrong. The youth are being fed crap, it is ruining their body and the military is concerned because they get kids who have BMI averages much higher than previous generations. You can engage in the whole "fat bias" garbage, but numbers say its so.

September 25, 2012 at 18:03 | Report abuse |
  6. Prairieson

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - Andrew Jackson

September 25, 2012 at 17:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • agooyers

Andrew Jackson is a monster of history. You've never heard of the Trail of Tears? **** man, you're quoting him?

September 25, 2012 at 17:22 | Report abuse |
    • agooyers

Not saying America doesn't need to slim down, but our fatness threatening our ability to send young people to die in pointless wars and waste trillions of tax dollars trying to police the world is not the reason to do so.

September 25, 2012 at 17:25 | Report abuse |
    • This is a joke right?

Just remember, when they sing hail to the chief, they point the cannon at you.

September 25, 2012 at 17:57 | Report abuse |
    • HM8432

It's unfair to judge a 19th century man, because he didn't fit 21st century values. With the exception of the Cherokees who were indeed s***wed over (because they actually tried to be like us), Jackson's banishment of Indians from the Eastern Seaboard was the wisest and only thing to do. Up until then, if you stepped outside in any wilderness area, you ran the high risk of being kidnapped or murdered by Creeks, Alogonquin, etc. The Indians up to that point in American history were on the offensive. What he did was a necessary evil for the successful settlement of America. I strongly doubt you would be able to live where you live today if the Indians had their way.

September 25, 2012 at 18:57 | Report abuse |
  7. wjeri

Every time I go overseas and then come back, everyone in the USA looks fat. Then I get accustomed to how everyone look until I travel again.

September 25, 2012 at 17:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Moose

Back in the 80s/90s we had a family friend who was a doctor for the Navy and the procedure he performed most often was liposuction on fat officers to get them back down to their weight limits so they could stay in the service.

September 25, 2012 at 17:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • atlJack

That is simply not true. You can't "lose weight" via liposuction. What you can do is scrape out a SMALL amount of fat in certain areas. But if a doctor tried to liposuction 15 lbs off of you it would kill you.

September 25, 2012 at 18:13 | Report abuse |
  9. dave

It's a nice statistic to throw around in the battle on obesity, but I guarantee the 1 in 4 would drop sharply after a 9-week boot camp. And if they still can't make the cut, throw 'em back in for another round. Sheesh. It's not like being fat is a irreversible condition.

September 25, 2012 at 17:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • This is a joke right?

"Nothing is a disease if it can be cured by eating a salad." RG

September 25, 2012 at 17:56 | Report abuse |
  10. nytw

Obama won't rest unit he controls every aspect of our lives.

September 25, 2012 at 17:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

Then you have nothing to worry about. You obviously have no mind already.

September 25, 2012 at 17:41 | Report abuse |
    • patrick carr

In your case, you need someone to hold your hand probably

September 25, 2012 at 17:43 | Report abuse |
    • jonds

Obama? Seriously?

September 25, 2012 at 17:44 | Report abuse |
    • atlJack

We assume you are on the payroll of the Romney Campaign as you are interjecting Obama into a situation that has NOTHING to do with Obama.

September 25, 2012 at 18:14 | Report abuse |
  11. RobGinChicago

That's as good an excuse as any to stop these damned wars of nation-building for ungrateful nations, and bring the soldiers home. They are very late for dinner.

September 25, 2012 at 17:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Frank James

After the US Air Force dropped their "weight" standard I could not believe the size of the cows in uniform. Disgusting is an understatement. Now all they have to do is gut out some physical exercise and they are consider fit! Time to go back to the good ole days of AFR 35-10.

September 25, 2012 at 17:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • PK

Time to go back to the AF Regs period, no more of these guidlines!

September 25, 2012 at 17:41 | Report abuse |
  13. soicanleavecommentsonblogs

can we not rule the world with drones if we wanted to?

September 25, 2012 at 17:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. agooyers

Now I'm not saying America doesn't need to slim down, but our fatness threatening our ability to send young people to die in pointless wars and waste trillions of tax dollars trying to police the world is not the reason to do so.

September 25, 2012 at 17:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Andy

Funny, Paul Ryan is all about the defense of our nation, yet he voted no to this....imagine that. Now if only keeping our future warfighters healthy could also benefit big defense corporations, then we would have something..

September 25, 2012 at 17:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. PK

Let's see, it's called processed food, High Fructose Corn Syrup, MSG, GMOs all the other additives, McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, Pizza Hut, fast food in general, etc and we have an overweight country and an overweight military. And as all of the old timers have said time and time again, we should have never ended the draft.

September 25, 2012 at 17:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Frank

I've noticed that the firefighters in my town have a culture of fitness, and they're in great shape, while the cops in my town have a culture of fatness and inability to run a block without wheezing and panting, almost as if they want to fail at their jobs and fail their communities. What's up with that?

September 25, 2012 at 17:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. patrick carr

The only country soon to fight for will be Old Country Buffet!

September 25, 2012 at 17:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. ted

This is all George W Bush's fault. WAIT HOLD THE PHONE – Romney now says it is all Obama's fault. WAIT HOLD THE PHONE – Michelle Obama, standing in for POTUS who is taking care of the economy and jobs, has informed the RNC and GOP that they are squarely to blame since all of them are warhawks and want more planes and bombs.

September 25, 2012 at 17:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Lee Oates

Perhaps it is best to fatten our kids up so as to avoid the military, sort of an unusual peace approach.....Fried chicken anyone.

September 25, 2012 at 17:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • PeteArk

if they were raised to "avoid' th military instead of giving it studied consderation we are best of without them...

September 25, 2012 at 18:16 | Report abuse |
    • Taylor G

I don't see what's wrong with hoping that some day there will be no need for soldiers or war. Sure it will never happen as it's in our nature to fight, but without a little optimism the world would never get anywhere.

September 25, 2012 at 19:32 | Report abuse |
    • Lee Oates

I would rather have a live, but overweight kid, than a dead one dying in an insane unjust war to keep the % rich.

September 26, 2012 at 01:06 | Report abuse |
  21. PeteArk

My 32 year old daughter spent 4 years in the Marines and is in her 11th year in the Army Guard...despite disabilities incurred in 2 deployments she keeps her weight at 130 or less on a 5'7" frame...last year she had a waiver to walk instead of run her fitness test...she still finished faster than a dozen 20something males could RUN...thier only "disability" was poundage...sad.

September 25, 2012 at 17:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. kdogg1000

I don't agree with changing the public school menu in the way that's being done now. I have a 6 year old in 1st grade who basically refuses to each the school lunch because it's disgusting. My wife and I both look at the menu when they send it home every month and just shake our heads at the disgusting meals they are serving now. No adult would eat most of the crap they serve now so why would they expect a kid to, most little kids are extremely picky eaters. He's now eating lunchables or ravioli every day for lunch. Every parent, who can afford it, is buying snacks for the classroom so that the kids don't go hungary all day because most of them won't each the new school lunchs that are being served now.

September 25, 2012 at 17:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • This is a joke right?

I'm in VT. Up here they are doing farm to table for the schools. The fruits, veggies, and meat at our local schools comes from our local farmers. It's working great for everyone and I think it's a model that other parts of the country would benefit from.

September 25, 2012 at 17:54 | Report abuse |
    • Cin507

You feed your kid lunchables as a healthy alternative? May as well send rat poison. That is disgusting. Filled with chemicals, addatives & artificial ingredients. Bet he drinks plenty of sugary soda & juice too.

September 25, 2012 at 18:02 | Report abuse |
    • Lanfear

Ravioli/lunchables are just as horrible as far as nutrition goes.

September 25, 2012 at 18:05 | Report abuse |
    • Lanfear

Glad someone agrees. Ravioli is the lazy parents way of making "lunch". That's the kind of stuff I would eat once in a while when my mom wasn't home to cook.
      At least make the kid a sandwich, or a nice big salad filled with fresh veggies and a protein of choice.

September 25, 2012 at 18:07 | Report abuse |
    • kdogg1000

I'm not saying that I feed him a lunchable as a healthy alternative....I feed him a lunchable because the so called healthy foods that the schools are serving are not eatable especially to a 6year old. I'd rather him eat something than starve all day.

September 25, 2012 at 18:10 | Report abuse |
  23. This is a joke right?

Go to any military base in the country and you will see Burger King, Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut and every other junk food chain. Try to exercise and physically perform with a belly full of that garbage.

September 25, 2012 at 17:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • PeteArk

We had WORSE in th branch exchanges and "roach coaches" in the late 60s...I left the Corps at 6' 170#...I still can wear my class A uniform 42 years later...I'm a food junkie and I drink,but I also know how to work hard and when to quit pigging out... blaming the food is foolish,blame the culture and the individuals...

September 25, 2012 at 18:04 | Report abuse |
    • kdogg1000

My post was not a joke, I don't agree with changing the menu to such a degree that they are actually defeating their very purpose. What kids will each a plate full of cabbage, sliced beef stick as they call it or steamed brussle sprouts. Creating healthy eating habits comes from introducing the foods to the kids diet not forcing it down their throats. I served 4 years in the Army on active duty at Ft. Hood TX from 2001-2004 and was in really great shape however their where Popeye's Chicken, AW Root Beer and pizza places right across the street. Not to mention that our DFAC served more burgers and fries than they ever did salads.....As far as what your schools do in VT in cannot comment on but in Central KY the kids are not that lucky!

September 25, 2012 at 18:06 | Report abuse |
  24. Lanfear

"Kids on average consume 130 "empty" calories a day from candy, cookies and chips, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture."

My first thought when I read this sentence was... that's it? 130 empty calories a day will not cause obesity and they should not be throwing that number around. Obesity is caused because some kids eat 1000-2000 empty calories on top of eating breakfast, lunch, dinner, while other kids who are brought up differently will only eat junk food occasionally.

"Mission: Readiness has been working to get rid of junk food in schools since 2010, when it supported the passing of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act. The act requires the USDA to update nutrition standards in schools."

It doesn't matter what they do in schools. It starts at home. Same reason for bad grades. The schools can only do so much and while it's important for them to offer healthy choices at lunch time, it isn't going to change obesity rates because kids can still bring junk food from home or eat their faces off after school instead.

Obesity is a lifestyle. It's the parents who need to make a change, but they don't want to hurt little johnnys feelings by telling him he's overweight. Chances are they're overweight themselves and do not see anything wrong with it. The common argument I hear is "it's my right to eat what I want". I'd love to see things change for America with regards to obesity but unfortunately, it's not going to happen. All I can do is keep myself healthy and bring my kids up the same way.

September 25, 2012 at 18:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • PeteArk

I hope you're a parent or plan to become one...common sense and responsibility.

September 25, 2012 at 18:07 | Report abuse |
  25. Robert

"One in four young adults are too overweight to join the U.S. military..."

DUH! Whose fault it that? Lower the standards. Most jobs in the military do not require someone to be a "lean, mean, fighting machine". The majority of military jobs are paper pushers; adminstrative and executive positions and clerks. Only if you are on the front lines like the infantry do you need to be in shape. If it were true that obese people could not do their jobs, then most of corporate America would be shut down. Time for a reality check.

September 25, 2012 at 18:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lanfear

Being in the military is about having a diciplined mindset. Something obese people lack.

September 25, 2012 at 18:09 | Report abuse |
    • OldSailor

Obviously written by someone with vast military experience. Probably a Marine (where everyone fights including the clerks and the cooks). I remember well when the front line appeared 100 yeards away and everyone was on the front line. It's good to have a Marine for a friend 🙂 Semper Fi

September 25, 2012 at 18:56 | Report abuse |
  26. Zwei Stein

SPOILED and LAZY

September 25, 2012 at 18:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Zwei Stein

I don't even remember the last time I saw a person washing and waxing their own car.

September 25, 2012 at 18:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • PeteArk

be at my place saturday...you can help....thanks.

September 25, 2012 at 18:08 | Report abuse |
    • Lanfear

*raises hand*

I refuse to spend 15 bux on a car wash when I can spend a couple dollars in the coin wash and do it myself.

September 25, 2012 at 18:11 | Report abuse |
    • PeteArk

BTW...it's a big Dodge pickup...gonna take some time...

September 25, 2012 at 18:12 | Report abuse |
    • Zwei Stein

Pete... Let's start no later than 0700, before it gets too hot.

September 25, 2012 at 18:24 | Report abuse |
    • PeteArk

Z--make it 0745-on Saturday I sleep in 'til 0645 and go to MickeyDs....THEN I work off the breakfast burrito...

September 25, 2012 at 18:35 | Report abuse |
    • OldSailor

Been doing it for 55 years now.

September 25, 2012 at 18:52 | Report abuse |
    • Taylor G

Maybe because they're too busy working? Ever hear of opportunity costs?

September 25, 2012 at 19:35 | Report abuse |
  28. TOP

@HOSS- I've served in the Marine Corps for 25 years and would gladly do it again. Representing our country and defending our freedoms is more than a paycheck. The ability to serve not just our country but serve the greater good of others as well is an honor. Unless you've served, then you really do not understand why volunteers join and stay in. Don't bag those who serve, create change through your right to vote-educate yourself to take office and make a difference. If you don't like the things you see, work to make it the best you can.

September 25, 2012 at 18:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • PeteArk

Semper Fi...'68-'74...still lean , still mean....you know the rest...

September 25, 2012 at 18:18 | Report abuse |
  29. Robert

Why does a clerk typing up requisition forms in an office need to be lean and in shape? It's a total waste of effort. Save the worry for those people fighting on the front lines. There are plenty of jobs in the military that can be done by people with wheelchairs and other imperfections. Time to stop discriminating.

September 25, 2012 at 18:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • PeteArk

There haven't been "front lines" since Korea...get an education...or at least get off the video games....maybe you could stand some exercise?

September 25, 2012 at 18:21 | Report abuse |
    • OldSailor

It has been a while, but I can remember the clerks and cooks grabbing rifles when we were about to be overrun – no fatties watching my backside. It is not discrimination to keep the disabled from being targets.

September 25, 2012 at 18:51 | Report abuse |
    • Asdg

Thanks, fatty.

September 25, 2012 at 19:41 | Report abuse |
    • Say 'NO' to Soda Pop

Robert, stop drinking sugar water, it's killing you...

September 25, 2012 at 19:47 | Report abuse |
  30. OregonTom

Geez, just run a few times a week and do your push ups soldier.

September 25, 2012 at 18:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • PeteArk

'push ups' are not as important as "push aways"...push away from the trough...oughta learn that at home...

September 25, 2012 at 18:26 | Report abuse |
  31. RKB

I served 4 years in the Marine Corps. Believe me, the armed services can get the weight off you with proper exercising. And the Marines didn't have a problem making me exercise. If there is an obesity problem with the active duty personnel, then shame on the commanders for not having proper ongoing physical fitness training. It's not like you can choose to disregard a lawful order.

I agree that letting fat kids enlist might present a little more of a problem. But out of about 80 kids in my boot clamp platoon, only one or two gotted dropped for weight issues. Granted that was 35 years ago, but that just means the drop percentage will increase as the number of new fat recruits increases. Mayber the lenngth of recruit training needs to be increased. I know we spent 78 days in training (I counted every one!) and that was after about two weeks of waiting for our training cycle to start. I know the Army, Navy and Air Force boot camps are a lot shorter.

September 25, 2012 at 18:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • PeteArk

The biggest problem is not the borderline cases that can be "re-worked"...it's the ones who can't even make it in...i helped re-tool some "Fat bodies at PI in '68...todays recruiters are seeing people I couldn't help with a scalple....

September 25, 2012 at 18:31 | Report abuse |
  32. Zwei Stein

So, I can eat a big breakfast at home, or even in a regular sit-down diner. Three or four eggs, three or four sausage links or that many bacon strips...or both. Couple pieces of toast with butter and jelly. Coffee with cream. I feel fine, can go to work, no big deal. – OR – I can drive-thru at McDs and get a sausage McMuffin with egg and a coffee. I'll eat it and FEEL FULL and SLUGGISH and usually fifteen minutes later have some acid indigestion. WHY???

September 25, 2012 at 18:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Miniplenty

Don't forget to wash it down with Victory brand gin.

September 25, 2012 at 18:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. William Larson

This is how the goverment starts downsizing the troops. First they make the statement that we are fat going in the service, then say the troops we have in now is to fat, and then they force the guys that are overweight out of the service. The goverment will then discriminate againt the overwieght by having a "Fat boys Program " that only the overweight has to go to. If you dont lose the weight, they force u out of after 16 years of service. The goverment lets u in when they need u, but finds ways of throwing u out if they dont need u. They did that to me, four years from retirement

September 25, 2012 at 18:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Zwei Stein

I remember when they were doing that. A lot of guys got jammed with that. And yes, you were good to go as long as they needed you.

September 25, 2012 at 18:54 | Report abuse |
    • Asdg

That's what you get for being a fatty. It makes economic sense to not have the government pay for your pension and health care when you become a fatty. Just don't get fat. Figure it out. Was it worth getting discharged?

September 25, 2012 at 19:45 | Report abuse |
  35. Durl Stephens

hhmmmm, maybe if our fruits, vegetables and meat were not injected with all the chemicals to make them grow faster then we would not be having this conversation!!!!!!!

September 25, 2012 at 18:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. HM8432

It's sad and true. However, SERE, and other physically intensive training will slim down fat recruits quick!

September 25, 2012 at 18:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • STINGER

SERE is for people that ALREADY have a strong body and mind. Making our troops go through a program like that would def. weed out most and make some stronger mostly though, a lot would just quit. We would def. have a stronger force but it would be a heck of a lot smaller.

September 26, 2012 at 05:09 | Report abuse |
  37. Matt Roeth

Why do we fight unecessary Wars for fake reasons to begin with? It seems THIS is the real problem, not a bunch of fat, old sweaty guys debating amongst themselves if America eats too much food?

September 25, 2012 at 18:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Say 'NO' to Soda Pop

If you don't fight at all guarantee someone is going to test that. Be prepared to lose something...

September 25, 2012 at 19:46 | Report abuse |
  38. OldSailor

So we can finally achieve world peace – all we have to do if feed everyone more?

September 25, 2012 at 18:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Aldin

The US doesnt have a cause worthy enough to be fought for,so many wouldnt even consider joining... so who cares anyway

September 25, 2012 at 18:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Sylvester

World Trade Center building number Seven DID NOT fall all by itself. You can huff-and-puff on a Building all day long, and it will Not collapse, I guarantee it! And, considering no Planes flew Anywhere Near that building that day, NOWHERE Close! You have to think to yourself, what would cause a building to collapse that was never hit by any Airplanes. I know, my friend was there, at the base of the building, and saw and heard the demolision charges going off, well before WTC Building no. 7 collapsed, all by itself....with no airplanes going anywhere near it

September 25, 2012 at 18:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • OldSailor

Another Al Qaeda troll – luckily the NSA has your URL!

September 25, 2012 at 19:01 | Report abuse |
  41. john

too fat thats it?...how about to dumb, lazy and criminal history?

September 25, 2012 at 18:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. mlblogscbgoldsmith

Military leaders need to get their minds around 2 ideas. War is over and our kids are not yours to sacrifice. Excepting WW2 war accomplishes nothing and like Cold War Russia we are bankrupting our nation to support War and armies that are OVER.

September 25, 2012 at 19:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. wharf_rat

Chris Christie is a big fat bully.

September 25, 2012 at 19:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. superman2012

Theres a concern that down the future we would be short of healthy military personnel to fight the wars of tomorrow and using a group of retired military vets with the standards of their days are different from tomorrows needs of the military is really a good gauge? The dod is more than the military it also includes contractors and civilians. According to wiki on the dod, theres 3.2million members or an average of 312 dollars per dod member. With cities and states changing the food we give our children during school and our diet by forcing food manufacturers to reduce sodium, also to include calorie count on foods so we are conscious of what we eat, how is this a concern of the general population now and the future?

September 25, 2012 at 19:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Taylor G

Let's put it this way: would you rather live in country A where 50% of the adult population is overweight or country B where 75% of the total population is starving?

First world problems are wonderful problems to have.

September 25, 2012 at 19:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Art

I pick country A I rather be fat than starving.

September 25, 2012 at 19:37 | Report abuse |
    • Taylor G

That's the point.

September 25, 2012 at 19:40 | Report abuse |
    • Say 'NO' to Soda Pop

I went to France the last 2 summers, their population is normal sized, shocking when you compare to the US. You rarely see fatties in France, they're not poor or starving. Their just NORMAL.

September 25, 2012 at 19:44 | Report abuse |
    • Taylor G

The average BMI in France is irrelevant to my point.

The point is would you rather live in the United States or North Korea or Equatorial Africa? There is room for significant improvement in the health of our people but I still find this "obesity epidemic" somewhat hysterical and overwrought in comparison to the problems that the rest of the world faces on an everyday basis.

September 25, 2012 at 19:47 | Report abuse |
    • Say 'NO' to Soda Pop

Never the less, it's a becoming a huge health problem in the US and is causing raising costs in HC and other places you wouldn't even realize like the cost of a Plane ticket because because of the amount of fuel needed to carry 250 fatties across the country...

September 25, 2012 at 19:57 | Report abuse |
    • Taylor G

I'm not saying there is not a problem, there is. But there is only so much you can do to fix it. People are going to live their lives the way they want to. Unfortunately, America has long promoted a materialistic and consumerist culture and the health problems we are now experiencing is one negative side effect of that.

Also, while the French may be healthier they have their own share of problems, namely friction between the indigenous population and the Muslim immigrants.

September 25, 2012 at 20:02 | Report abuse |
    • Superman2012

how would you judge being bias? try being born into each society and then you will know what is wealthy in one country vs another. With full consciousness I would pick the fat and overweight cause no one is starving. Starving people tend to breed a different kind of lifestyle and society than a fat society cause theres more to go around in all ways rather than scarcity mentalities.

September 26, 2012 at 01:50 | Report abuse |
  46. Not a Scholar

Having served in the Air Force from 83 to 93 I will tell you, the chow halls cater to poor eating habits. Lots of fried foods and cheese burgers. If you worked late night, midnight chow was a cholesterol feast. Greasy omelets and cheese burgers. I know plenty of females that were failing their weight standards so they intentionally became pregnant for the waiver from standards. Higher ranking enlisted and officers walked around with beer guts. Those that took pride in their health were few and far between. Not to mention at the time how cheaply you could buy tabaco products but I understand at least that has changed.

September 25, 2012 at 19:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. cc

Is this a joke? One of the biggest advantages of your children enlisting has traditionally been the way the military insists on them getting into physical condition. Has the military abandoned that, or are they now simply complaining because it takes longer? So extend boot camp a month-it won't hurt enlistments. Kids don't enlist *because* they're in good shape, they enlist so the military will get them into good shape. That's part of the military's job.

September 25, 2012 at 19:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Asdg

It's NOT their job. They need something to work with. Plus, what about all the normal sized people that are in decent shape, getting slowed down by the fatties? Another way to make everyone perform to the lowest common denominator.

September 25, 2012 at 19:50 | Report abuse |
  48. Chris

The army is too fat, the Marine Corps not so much. The only branch of the military that still has old school toughness and conditioning is the Marines. Marines are the only hope if this country gets attacked by ground troops, the army would get trampled on and defeated easily by many other countries.

September 25, 2012 at 19:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Taylor G

Ah, the old inter-service rivalry. Nice to see it's still going strong.

September 25, 2012 at 19:39 | Report abuse |
  49. ChiTownArt

How in shape must I be to launch a Predator or cruise missle? Gimme a bag of chips, an easy chair and my captain's commission and I'll be a Slug of One, FatBoy Strong.

September 25, 2012 at 19:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Say 'NO' to Soda Pop

Who's going to load the missile into the launcher?

September 25, 2012 at 19:40 | Report abuse |
    • Taylor G

Not everyone who is overweight is necessarily out of shape. Case in point: NFL linemen. They are admittedly a minority, but writing off everyone who is overweight as useless is rather presumptuous. Also, remember the old adage: never get into a fist fight with someone who is significantly bigger than you.

September 25, 2012 at 19:44 | Report abuse |
    • ChiTownArt

Hey Taylor did you see Brian Gumbles' expose on lineman after they leave the NFL? It was hearbreaking. Guys dying of heart attacks in their 30's because they no longer worked the way they did in the NFL.

September 25, 2012 at 19:51 | Report abuse |
    • Say 'NO' to Soda Pop

Actually, size has no bearing in a fight, too much muscle can work against a fighter. Big Heavy muscles gets tired easily and becomes slow and heavy. Best fighters are lean and explosive, with high endurance. NFL Lineman are specialists. I wouldn't call them in shape.

September 25, 2012 at 19:53 | Report abuse |
    • Taylor G

There is no denying that once those linemen get older they suffer health problems. My point was that you should not just assume all overweight individuals are necessarily physically unfit. Most of them are in their late 30s and early 40s which is around the age that the majority of service members leave the armed forces. And being in the military would motivate most to work just as hard if not harder than they would in the NFL. So while these overweight individuals would suffer health problems later on in life they would still be beneficial to the armed service during their physical prime.

September 25, 2012 at 19:55 | Report abuse |
    • Taylor G

@Soda Pop

Just wondering, have you ever been in a fist fight?

September 25, 2012 at 19:57 | Report abuse |
    • Say 'NO' to Soda Pop

Of course and I played football in High School and College. I can't certainly speak to it.

September 25, 2012 at 20:00 | Report abuse |
    • Taylor G

I've been in my share of fights as well.

Certainly, the size of a person is not the only determining factor. Bruce Lee could easily destroy someone twice his size. However, if two equally skilled and experienced people fight, the larger one will win the vast majority of the time. Being a former football player you know that coaches look for players that meet certain physical definitions. Technique also plays a huge role, but if you have a 6-5, 250 lb outside linebacker with excellent technique then he's frankly going to bowl over most tackles unless they match up similarly.

September 25, 2012 at 20:08 | Report abuse |
  50. Say 'NO' to Soda Pop

CC the problem is that many of them can't make it past the 1st day without hospitalization. The Military does not have a 6 month get ready for bootcamp program before bootcamp. There are minimum requirements to get into a bootcamp, what there saying is that 1 in 4 cannot pass those requirements. That's the problem. It's bootcamp, not Fat camp.

September 25, 2012 at 19:39 | Report abuse | Reply