home
RSS
Overheard: Whose fault is obesity?
September 19th, 2012

Overheard: Whose fault is obesity?

Editor's note: This post is part of the Overheard on CNN.com series, a regular feature that examines interesting comments and thought-provoking conversations posted by the community.

Obesity is a huge problem in the United States, and it’s linked to serious illnesses such as diabetes, stroke, heart disease and certain cancers.

A new report suggests that by 2030 nearly half of all Americans will be obese, and these expanding waistlines will translate into billions of dollars of health care costs. The study authors advocate for nationwide interventions to get children and adults to be more physically active and eat healthier.

More than 400 readers commented on the story. The most popular reader comment came from Joe Skinner, who says:

This is something I've been saying forever, the problem isn't "Romneycare" or "Obamacare," it's fat Americans who are the problem and they are more willing to blame politicians for health care cost problems than to say the 300-pound reading on the scale might have something to do with it.

Bruce Force responded that weight loss alone won’t solve the problem:

I agree that we are responsible for our own health but I think this obsession with losing weight is the wrong way to go about it. When we talk about fitness, we never talk about skills and that's unfortunate because that what being fit is about: developing skills in order to survive.

Chichetr proposed the radical measure of taxing overweight people per pound, a comment that got 59 “likes” :

I'm sick and tired of seeing my fellow Americans waddling around from fast food restaurant to fast food restaurant, their giant bellies swaying and bulging out under their shirts. It's absolutely shameful.

I propose that we start charging health care costs by the pound. How many of these people do you think are going to keel over from 1, 2 or 3 heart attacks, strokes, cardiovascular disorders of every kind? The list goes on and on. How many of these people can actually PAY for the tremendous health care costs associated with their weight? Not many.

I as a taxpayer, I refuse to pay for these people. Tax the overweight and obese NOW!

But pgauthi responded with a more pragmatic approach:

Those of us living in the real world realize we can't just let people "take responsibility," because we have decided that everyone has the right to emergency treatment. So as much as it pains me to pay for the lazy obese I would rather pay for their preventive care than for their emergencies.

Delishus Cake represented the point of view that the high cost of healthy foods compared to fattening foods is part of the problem:

If fresh fruit was affordable year round and a salad didn't cost the same as 4 double cheeseburgers people might not be so fat. Low income people typically choose whichever option looks to be the most bang for your buck. If you've got $4 and you want to eat are you going to buy a salad or 2 double cheeseburgers, a large coke, and a fry?

But halfthestory argues the opposite viewpoint:

So tired of hearing the "it costs too much to eat healthy" argument. Plan your budget and buy healthier foods ... fast food is not much cheaper and is much less healthier. It's a lifestyle change and not a financial issue in most cases. It's just easier to justify when you say "it costs too much".

Chemical BPA linked to children's obesity

Finally, the usage of body mass index as a measure of obesity is imperfect, as readers such as CatMagnet noted. Height and weight are the factors that go into calculating BMI, but for some people that is not an accurate assessment of whether they are healthy.

On Twitter, science writer @miriamgordon responded to the story by citing this New York Times article from Tuesday, which notes that obesity as we know it may not be the whole story: “In study after study, overweight and moderately obese patients with certain chronic diseases often live longer and fare better than normal-weight patients with the same ailments.”

Part of the problem is that if you measure obesity with body mass index, you are ignoring other potentially critical measurements of health, including metabolic abnormalities, lean muscle mass and body fat, the article said.

Another science writer, @daviddespain, responded with an article he had written on his blog suggesting that young Asian-American women may be improperly categorized as healthy using the traditional BMI scale; they may have low BMI but high body fat percentage.

The state-by-state obesity data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention do not take these deviations from the traditional BMI picture into account, nor do the 2030 predictions.

More from CNN: Is your doctor's role changing in the fight against obesity?

1. Todd

Fear is the biggest problem.
    The mindset, "I'll go to the gym after I loose 20 lbs, because I am afraid of looking like a blimp in front of the other people"
    "I Can't take a walk because the area I live in is too dangerous, or too remote if I get hurt no one will help me"
    "When I diet I feel weak and cant focus on my work"

The Obesity problem is actually a measurement of Fear in people.

September 19, 2012 at 13:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • maxine

I wake up early and walk or try to run in my neighborhood, and we have a gym membership I don't use.
      I know how awful I look waddling around the gym, and I do not need to hear about it from a snarky model-type.
      So I do what I can in my comfort zone.

September 19, 2012 at 14:08 | Report abuse |
    • someone

A simple method to losing weight is to modify your diet and eat properly. That alone will help shed weight.

September 19, 2012 at 14:30 | Report abuse |
    • Nyreply

Actually, tall people have a high rate of heart attacks. Should we charge their health care by the inch?

September 19, 2012 at 14:34 | Report abuse |
    • Marie

@nyreply: Tall people cannot help being tall but fat people can eat less and exercise more.

September 19, 2012 at 14:43 | Report abuse |
    • kell

I have to agree. If you go to the gym there are plenty of people there that want to help you. Be embarrassed and move on. Going to the gym helped me lose over 25 pounds (and counting) – just don't look in the mirror! 🙂

September 19, 2012 at 14:47 | Report abuse |
    • Anon

Maxine, have you EVER had a "model type" give you a snarky comment?

I've been going to the gym every day for the last year and I've seen every type in there and I have never, even once, heard anyone being disrespectful to anyone else.

Honestly, you not wanting other people to make comments about your weight means you obviously feel embarrassed by your weight, which is all the more reason to get your self into the gym. A big girl (or guy) getting a personal trainer, busting the butt, sticking to a healthy lifestyle (that means healthy diet also) will throw that weight off in no time at all. I've seen it. Then the weight loss becomes a reward encouraging continuation of the lifestyle. I've seen several guys come into the gym, a good 200lbs over weight, work with their trainer, and in about two months, they started looking actually fit. I've only seen one woman do it, but I also think that is because women typically are afraid of weights (for some reason) and only want to run on the treadmill (slowly) and try eating less of the same crappy food they always eat. Then, with that half-@$$ mindset, they don't want to pay for a trainer also...and they end up failing.

Take control of your life and your decisions, if your new, get a trainer to get you grounded, and be prepared for a really hard month while you get adjusted. Then afterwards, be prepared to be really happy with yourself, your life, and all the doors that open up for you.

September 19, 2012 at 14:49 | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Maxine,

You realize you just proved the OP's point, don't you?

Gym's are not necessary. Intense cardio can be done outside. I wish you the best of luck, but letting your emotions rule your actions is a recipe for failure, in health and in life. I can't do anything for you if you are not willing to face your fears. How many times have you had someone call you fat at the gym? I have never seen anyone do that to anyone else, and I spend several hours a week in the gym, have for years. Is it that you FEEL they are judging you, or that they actually do so explicitly?

About half of my exercise is done outside, running wind sprints up steps and hills. Those options are available to you too, if you choose them.

Your physical health should be more important than pyschological weakness.

September 19, 2012 at 14:53 | Report abuse |
    • irunner

Weigh gain/loss in it's simplest terms is Calories consumed minus Calories burned. If you limit what you EAT, you won't gain weight. If you burn tons of calories by walking, cycling, gardening, swimming, whatever... You will lose weight. I get sick of hearing all the different excuses why people can't lose weight. Most Americans think they have to "go on a diet" to lose a few pound, but then think it is ok to go right back to the same behaviour. They don't understand the true meaning of diet.

September 19, 2012 at 14:54 | Report abuse |
    • Devin

Maxine, that is a fallacy and an inaccuracy. In all my years of working out regularly in gyms all over the world, I have NEVER seen a user being openly rude or disrespectful to another. Not only are most gym members quietly focused on their own workouts to pay you any attention, but they are actually supportive and respectful to new members and people obviously trying to change their physical looks. After all, we were all first time visitors once, and everyone remembers those feelings or nervousness and self consciousness as you walked in and saw all those tanned, lean torsos expertly using the equipment while you tried to decide which machine to use first. And lets be honest – where else would they rather see an overweight person – in the gym trying to do something about it, or down the street at McD's with a large coke? Your comments are dangerous as they could easily discourage others from joining a gym for fear of being mocked. In reality, that just doesn't happen.

September 19, 2012 at 14:55 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

doing exercise routines like P90X in your room solves the 'problem' of other people seeing you...

September 19, 2012 at 15:08 | Report abuse |
    • Susan

I don't buy that fat folks won't go to the gym. I'm fat, like many of my fellow gym rats, and oddly enough, I get mega compliments from the guys who use the weight machines after me because they're impressed by the weights I'm using. I've also met a ton of guys there, even though I look my worst when working out.

September 19, 2012 at 15:10 | Report abuse |
  2. Portland tony

I once had an discussion with a college professor about fat people and the reasons for one's being overweight. We discussed mental issues, fast food, lack of physical activity, national food and customs, a person's metabolism etc..and the only point we both could agree on is if you don't EAT..you will never get FAT! In parts of the world where there is a scarcity of food...or lack of variety in people's diets...not too many fat folk...with the possible exception of the US, the poor are not overweight. And being poor in most
    of the world doesn't mean eating a big Mac and
    fries!

September 19, 2012 at 13:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • salukilady

Being poor in the rest of the world means not being fat as you say, Portland Tony because the rest of the world isn't as peppered with Mickie D and other fast food joints.

However being poor in the USA usually does mean being fat........as the poor are usually uneducated and see a big mac and fries as a meal, instead of the healthier food.

I also think fat people do not look in the mirror for if they did they would be appalled at what they see. There is no excuse for being fat...............I take that back.......sorry only one excuse........laziness.

September 19, 2012 at 14:31 | Report abuse |
  3. Patrick

I disagree, it is all about the education. Most people don't understand what they are putting in their bodies, how it affects them and how to avoid it. I have seen a salad with all the goodies have a higher caloric and saturated fat content than a burger. It's all about educating people in a way they would understand.

September 19, 2012 at 13:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jcr

There are very few people who don't understand that if you eat more, you gain more weight. Most also understand that fruit and vegetables are healthier than potato chips. Knowledge-wise this is all you need to lose weight, or at least not to gain it. But the problem, as evidenced by the large number who are overweight, lies beyond this simple understanding. It lies in a biology that evolved in environments where eating as much as you can was generally a good thing Those who did not do that were likely to die. Today, however, its those same genetic "mistakes" that will survive. I am lucky enough to be one of those new genetic types – I struggle to avoid junk food, but I can still live a happy life avoiding it amongst all the adds and temptations. But I feel no self-righteousness in this. I'm lucky. Others are so much more strongly driven to survive by eating they can't beat the instinct. Eating what they see is like breathing. They need to learn to avoid temptation, but also we all need to learn to diminish temptation. All the evidence shows that once we are in a shared environment, genetics is the #1 predictor of whether we can resist food temptations. Every adoption and twin study bears this out. People need to get off their high horses. Some of us are lucky – I for one manage to stay at a healthy weight by avoiding deserts and eating off very small plates. I never drink sugary drinks. But am I better than anyone else because I can do this? No, just luckier. And even I would like to be tempted and tormented by fewer junk food ads. Its a quality of life issue, why not reinvent our world so its easier for all of us?

September 19, 2012 at 13:59 | Report abuse |
    • Wow

Jcr, you're asking our entire world to give up a measure of freedom. Sure, it's for the common good, but where do we draw the line at common good? required vaccinations, preemptive detainment, forced social programs and agendas. Its a problem people have to either accept or learn to deal with in their own way. Banning potato chips world wide is not a practical solution. and you are not a genetic mistake, you are an evolution. and Evolution will deal with this obesity mess in time.

September 19, 2012 at 14:12 | Report abuse |
    • Jcr

WOW, I never asked anyone to ban potatochips. Instead, what I think is reasonable and realistic is limiting the number of potato chips ads on television. We know this tiggers many to eat more potato chips, and that ingeneral this brings about societal harm. By limiting the ads we reduce triggers without limiting anyone's freedom to buy the chips. I agree that my genetic mutation may be ideal for now, and that obesity may diminish as evolutionary forces ( here, selective mating) favors the thin, but this is only a 'good' if we continue to live in a food surplus envirnoment. This seems unlikely to me long term. In the mean time, whether you support or oppose evolutionary change, I believe it would be better for existing citizens and the environment to do what we can to reduce excessive profit driven forces th at encourage excessive eating and reduce the normal physical activities of daily living.

September 19, 2012 at 14:24 | Report abuse |
    • irunner

That is my daughter. She is a vegetarian. Eats lots of salads. Puts tons of high calorie stuff on her salads. Does not understand the concept of portion control. She is at least a 100 pounds overweight. This has nothing to do with genetics or how she was raised. My wife and I are marathon runners and I lecture her all the time about her dietary mistakes. She is also no dummy. She is making her own choices and does not care about being obese. I'm just frustrated that there is not a thing I can do about it.

September 19, 2012 at 15:01 | Report abuse |
    • JCR

irunner, I doubt very much that your daughter doesn't care about being obese. It is a normal protection mechanism to claim that so as not to look weak and pitiful.

September 19, 2012 at 17:07 | Report abuse |
  4. doughnuts

Whosefault is obesity?

Simple: The person holding the fork.

September 19, 2012 at 14:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Eric D

Amen! It's simple math: calories in minus calories burned. One could argue about influence of metabolism, etc, etc, but the fact is cut the food intake or exercise or both. No gym memberships are needed. Walk around the block for 30 minutes. Take the stairs. Park far away from the entrance of the all you can eat food troughs. It's not really about education. It's about personal responsibility. And as for the freedom to eat one's self into obesity then pay the health care costs. Smokers and drinkers are taxed. Those aren't perfect penalty systems and and weight-based one won't be either. Insurance companies use preexisting conditions. Figure something out! Another story today was on medical instrumentation companies building larger equipment to handle the obese patients, example of an MRI that can hold a 600 lb person. Come on!

September 19, 2012 at 14:49 | Report abuse |
    • Diane

EXACTLY

September 19, 2012 at 16:13 | Report abuse |
  5. Red1871

Who is at fault? The FAT people are at fault. Why? They eat too much, exercise too little and make poor life choices. Stand up and be an adult, if you can, be an adult that is.

September 19, 2012 at 14:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Erika

I'm going to actually agree with your bluntness. As a person who weighed 360lbs at my peak, yes it was all my fault. Though, I didn't believe that in the several years I was putting on the weight. I grew up, stopped blaming everyone else...and I hit the gym. Someone else on here mentioned fear, I didn't care what anyone at the gym thought. The gym isn't the only place people are going to be looking at you and saying things. Besides, I'm there for my health and I don't care what anyone has to say about how I looked huffing and puffing walking the first 15 minutes on the treadmill. I used to make the same excuses everyone else did...calories in and calories out and exercise is the only way to be fit and being fit means losing the weight.

September 19, 2012 at 14:18 | Report abuse |
    • salukilady

To Erika.........keep it up. You are on the right track.

September 19, 2012 at 14:41 | Report abuse |
  6. Kevin H

Let me get this straight – we're willing to "throw the book" at people who drink and do drugs but also treat them for their addiction. Meanwhile everyone has to eat. Some people are born with bodies that no matter what they do – they never gain weight. Others at the other end struggle no matter what they do. Still others eat and every ounce goes to their hips. I have allergies and other problems – when I work out – people are frightened because I hack and wheeze. I work out when I can and I eat as little as is appropriate for someone of my size. But that doesn't seem to help.

September 19, 2012 at 14:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Eric D

Really? No effect at all? Of course there are eating disorders, low metabolism, and even big bones, though please understand there is always something that can be done. Don't imagine this is about looking like a model. Goodness knows I don't. It is about the majority of very over weight people who find it easier to give up than change their habits.

September 19, 2012 at 14:54 | Report abuse |
    • irunner

I agree with Eric. There is always SOMETHING that can be done. It's all about choices.

September 19, 2012 at 15:05 | Report abuse |
  7. Dr. B

Our culture is a major culprit, imo. We use a car rather than walk or bike, and most of our cities and towns are not set up in a way that encourages walking. When traveling, I notice that there are a lot fewer obese people in large cities where you walk everywhere; here in the south, with lots of suburbs and rural areas, you have to have a car to get anywhere and this discourages activity. Our jobs no longer require us to be outdoors (for the most part) doing physical labor. We have escalators and elevators. We eat on the run instead of eating at home. We watch TV instead of playing outside, because there's nowhere to play. People are afraid to let their children go outside, and not everyone has access to parks or play areas. Fifty years ago, people used push mowers, used more stairs, didn't watch so much TV, performed more physical labor around the house, and so forth. Now we have riding mowers, dishwashers, TV 24 hours. We sit a lot more. And our eating habits from the 1950's and 1960's (loads of fat, meat, etc.) have stuck with us even though our lifestyles have changed. Because we wanted our lives to be easier, we invented stuff to make it that way. And now we are paying the price.

September 19, 2012 at 14:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bryan

I think this comment is more of a a cop out than anything. Regardless of advancements in technology, size of the city you live in, layout of the city and distances to different places, it comes down to what are you going to do about it. I have a self-propelled push mower–does that make me lazy because I don't have to push it? I have a car that I drive 2 hours a day to work, but still take my kids/family/dogs for a walk at night. I park my rear end in front of the TV and watch movies, but still go to the gym 3-4 times a week. Unhealthy food has always been around–maybe not as convenient as fast food now, but still always present. I would agree that culture has changed, but I think laziness has increased more. Get outside or to the gym and do something. If you want to eat a lot (like me), you need to understand that you need to work out more. Blaming it on anything other than the person themselves is a cop out. Only time I believe it's out of their control is health reasons not caused by bad previous decisions made.

September 19, 2012 at 14:41 | Report abuse |
    • sm2014

I totally agree that it's our culture's fault. Just look at New York. It's easier to ban sugary drinks than it is to pass legislation requiring more healthful ingredients. We'll always have people like the corn lobbyists around to keep crap like high-fructose corn syrup in every possible food item you could imagine.

September 19, 2012 at 14:45 | Report abuse |
  8. DC

If you think you are fat and know you are fat, it's your fault for getting that way in the first place. I understand some kids are over weight due to their parents raising them, but now as adults, do something about it.

Burn more calories than you take in to lose weight...it's pretty damn simple really.

September 19, 2012 at 14:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. David M

If I'm fat, it's my own fault. There are plenty of options to lose weight that cost no money. In fact, losing weight will save money, on your food bill and your medical costs. Less trips to the doc puts money in your pocket.

People have a million excuses to be fat, most of which are just that: excuses. Step up and be responsible for yourself. In spite of NY's mayor, it's not the obligation of govt to keep you from being fat and unhealthy. It's your body. Take care of it. If not, don't go looking for someone else to foot your medical premiums.

September 19, 2012 at 14:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. BosMonkey

You have to be incredibly ignorant not to know what foods are high fat, high colesterol, high carbs, high calories. And also incredibly ignorant not to know that cardio and weight exercises promote increased metabolism and weight loss.

Fast food is not a problem for those who have self control and take responsibility. Fast food availability and nutritional value are not a company's problem. They offer a variety of food, its an individual's choice on what to buy, how much to buy and how often to buy it.

I think most of obesity is laziness and not being responsible enough to educate themselves on how to live healthier.

September 19, 2012 at 14:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Atheria

If you are obese, it is your fault unless you TRULY have some kind of major genetic problem or have been put on meds that cause weight gain. It's almost impossible to date if you don't want to date an overweight person. I have watched my weight since I was 12 (am 45 now). I take care of myself. I realize that if I'm depressed, eating isn't going to help. I don't think a donut and cheeseburger are worth needing triple bypass surgery. NOTHING tastes as good as thin feels! And, I don't want to have to go through the horrid surgeries and be on 15 meds every day to stay alive due to bad dietary and exercise choices. I'm tired of people acting like they are victims. Take responsibility for your choices and your health.

September 19, 2012 at 14:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dickie

Are you a MILF or GILF?

September 19, 2012 at 14:40 | Report abuse |
  12. IRONMIKE

The person to blame is the person who does the eating and that is also the only person who can correct the problem. Don't pass the buck.

September 19, 2012 at 14:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. fiftyfive55

people here are so full of it.Why do some eat as much as they want and never gain weight while others just look at food and put on a couple pounds.I know one thing though,when a skinny guy gets in my face,I just brush him aside like a fly and go on enjoying my life.All my skinny friends have had open heart surgery while the heavy ones are doing just fine ,I am in my 60s and believe me when I say who is meant for old age will reach it and those not meant to ,won't.Heck,wasnt it the number one jogger in the world who had a heart attack and died a few years back ?

September 19, 2012 at 14:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dickie

You are an idiot. Extrapolating your personal examples to create a norm doesn't work. You must be from the South.

September 19, 2012 at 14:39 | Report abuse |
    • fiftyfive55

all the name calling means you lost,oh and why did you name yourself after the male member ?

September 19, 2012 at 14:47 | Report abuse |
    • salukilady

Fifty five55.........the number one jogger who dropped dead of a heart attack was Jim Fixx. Before mouthing off about him do a little homework. His heart disease was not caused by overeating or lack of exercise.

Oh and before telling us thin people you can swat us away like a fly......remember one thing.........you have to catch us first and I'll just bet we are faster than you.

September 19, 2012 at 15:15 | Report abuse |
  14. Jared W

Food is an addiction that's blatantly taunted. Like waving alcohol in front of alcoholics, advertisements are literally everywhere, and if you aren't seeing or hearing about it, you are usually being intoxicated by its smell. People don't cope well with the addiction because we all know food is something we have to eat - and not just infrequently, unless we want to die. Unlike any kind of drug, your body requires food and it's something people have difficulty moderating. For the most part it's not a lack of knowledge about what's good and bad for you, but moderating a devastating drug that your body requires for survival multiple times per day.

September 19, 2012 at 14:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sm2014

Well said!

September 19, 2012 at 14:47 | Report abuse |
    • JCR

Very well said. We would balk at asking alcoholics to sniff wine, but we expect foodaholics (over half the population...and in the sense we all are driven to eat, all of us) to sit through television images and billboards that prod at this addiction.

September 19, 2012 at 14:51 | Report abuse |
  15. denman838

This is simple. No, really, it is, but no one wants to point out the 500 pound gorilla in the corner. Americans are doughnut soft and lazy beyond reason, and their diet is garbage. They have this universal belief that exercise must be entertaining. I always hear comments from friends and co-workers about how boring such-and-such an exercise activity is. I was only moderately athletic in my teens, but I then spent 21 years in the US Army and that changed everything. I'm now retired, 55 years old and in as good a shape as I was when I was in my 30's. I make time to exercise EVERY DAY, regardless of whether I want to or not. As a consequence, I have a healthier diet. Don't want to give uyp the fat or the salt or the booze? Think exercise is boring? Let's talk when you're a full blown diabetic and have a foot or two amputated and you're confined to a wheelchair. Then you can tell me how bored you are.

September 19, 2012 at 14:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Dean

If you've got $4 and you want to eat are you going to buy a salad or 2 double cheeseburgers, a large coke, and a fry?.........................................................Wondering where you can get 2 doubles, fries and a large coke for $4.00.
    Large coke itself is about $2.00.

September 19, 2012 at 14:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Leo

If you've only got $4 to buy a meal, why on earth are you buying SODA? People should drink WATER. It's free almost everywhere you go and doesn't have any empty calories. But people have been convinced that they need to drink soda with every meal. That's half the problem right there.

September 19, 2012 at 14:26 | Report abuse |
  17. Dean

Like everything else, it is Bush's fault.

September 19, 2012 at 14:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. jimbo

Why is this even up for discussion? Unless somebody is holding a gun to their head and saying "eat" and "lead a sedentary lifestyle", its the fault of the obese person.

September 19, 2012 at 14:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. HR85

RE: pgauthi's comment to the referenced story in which was written: I would love it though if medicare tax and/or health premiums were based on BMI and cardiovascular fitness.

Using the BMI for health premiums is already being done and it is an incredibly simplistic and downright stupid metric to use. By the standard BMI tables, Maurice Jones-Drew, one of the premier running backs in the NFL, is obese and 5' 7" and 210 pounds. BMI does not factor in that muscle weighs more than fat for like volumes.

There are better metrics out there than BMI; allowing it to be used as the basis for any sort of punitive system is ridiculous, which is exactly why it's almost a sure bet that it's use will be expanded and become the norm.

September 19, 2012 at 14:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. SLLOhio

I think the blame for the obesity epidemic falls squarely on the food manufacturers. Walk the aisles of any grocery store and you will see shelves loaded with highly processed, nutritionally bereft foods, that are loaded with sugars and chemicals. If we stop buying all of the crap food the food manufacturers will be forced to provide healthy options if they wish to stay in business. Unfortunately this won't happen as most people know more about how to take care of their smart phones than they do their own bodies.

September 19, 2012 at 14:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • denman838

Oh, puh-lease! Now you're gonna blame the food manufacturers? STOP MAKING EXCUSES.
      Let's see...the last time I ate fast food was...I honestly cannot remember. It's been years and years. I agree with what some have said here – there are a FEW legitimate, medical reasons for obesity. But I'd wager that north of 95% of overweight Americans are that way simply because they refuse to eat healthy and refuse to exercise.

September 19, 2012 at 14:31 | Report abuse |
    • Dickie

The "it's not my fault...it's your argument".

September 19, 2012 at 14:35 | Report abuse |
  21. Romney

I am eating big mac while reading this. It feels so good.

September 19, 2012 at 14:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. justme

People need to stop being so judgemental. Just because someone is fat it doesn't mean they're not trying. I cut out soda 9 years ago and didn't lose a pound. I've been getting up before 5am to go to the gym and workout before having to get ready for work at 6:00. But you'd never know that by looking at me. I lost 10 pounds but I'm still fat. I work full time as an office assistant running around all day finding files for people. Then there's my sister who is skinny and will probably never work a day in her life and eats more fast food than I do.

September 19, 2012 at 14:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JCR

It is much more difficult to lose weight than to keep from gaining it. People don't like to share the science behind this because it is so discouraging, but I would actually recommend teaching it in schools. Maybe around age 10. I know the drive in the 80s was not to talk weight to kids because we might get a bunch of anorexics, but look where that's left us. Unless we can adequately limit food, kids need to have the crap scared out of them, because once you gain the weight you will likely never have long term weight loss without surgery. That's just the reality. Focusing on weight loss in society is a ruse – unrealistic and a distraction. You have to catch kids early and make sure they never put on the pounds in the first place. Someone’s going to come on here with the “I lost 100 pounds…” line, but you know what, and no one wants to tell them this, the overwhelming odds are that within 5 years those pounds will be back.

September 19, 2012 at 14:47 | Report abuse |
  23. Beavis

Fatties have nobody but themselves to blame.

September 19, 2012 at 14:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Dickie

Easy...the fat person holding the eating utensil. Despite the immense complexity of food, food availability, genetics, etc...one thing that is true for virtually all (more than 90-95% of people) is that if you exist in neutral or negative energy balance that you won't get fat. SO STOP F ING EATING. So tired of this.

September 19, 2012 at 14:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Hecate

So... why is car culture never mentioned or discussed as a cause of obesity?! It strikes me as the most obvious! I have no intention of suggesting Americans sell their precious cars, but driving to a park and taking a walk wouldn't kill them. To the contrary – it might save their lives. I've got access to a car now, albeit later in life than most. But because I was a pedestrian for so long, mostly in urban environments, most of my weight is solid muscle, and I look ten years younger than I actually am. I would just ask that Americans in particular think about this. if nothing else, more daily walking would relieve them of the more dangerous abdominal fat, which is responsible for a myriad of health issues.

September 19, 2012 at 14:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Beth

Around here (the Fat South), you can buy a whole rotisserie chicken at the grocery store for $6.99. Pair that with two cans of green beans ($0.69) and two sweet potatoes (about a dollar a piece), and you've fed a family of four for a little over 10 dollars. A hamburger, fries, and a drink from some fast food dollar menu ends up being over $12 for four people. Eating healthy is NOT more expensive when you eat the right things, like lean meats, fruits, veggies, etc. It's the processed "healthy" foods (like baked Lays–almost $4 a bag) that fool people into thinking it costs more to eat right.

September 19, 2012 at 14:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • obesityisnojoke

In addition to that $12 for an unhealthy fast food meal, you might as well tack on the medical cost for diabetes, hypertension, kidney failure, heart disease ETC....

EATING UNHEALTHY IS 10000000x more expensive.

September 19, 2012 at 15:04 | Report abuse |
    • kate

better watch out for the sodium in those canned beans

September 19, 2012 at 15:17 | Report abuse |
    • salukilady

Question Beth......why would you buy canned beans..........fresh are so much better.

September 19, 2012 at 15:31 | Report abuse |
    • Beth

Agreed salukilady, I only buy and prepare fresh. But we're talking baby steps here. 🙂

September 19, 2012 at 16:40 | Report abuse |
  27. Mary M

Media and their idea of what a perfect person looks like are to blame and people are gullible. the thinner the better, you don't know what anyone's fitness level is; Quit disrespecting other people because of their weight. Losing weight is a complex and long process; and I for one don't appreciate your assumptions about what I do or don't eat;

September 19, 2012 at 14:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dickie

U must be hideous.

September 19, 2012 at 14:33 | Report abuse |
  28. Dave A

We've been lied to for years. Fat does not make you fat. Carbohydrates and the associated insulin response are what make you fat. Ever since the FDA published the food pyramid, we have gotten fatter and fatter. It's the "healthy whole grain" that is killing us. Cut out the carbohydrates and you will lose weight. Your blood pressure will come down, your blood sugar will come down, your triglycerides will come down and your HDL (good) cholesterol will go up. Our bodies are not designed to eat processed sugars and grains. The way nature presents it is the way you should eat it. Not ground up and concentrated in to flour, bread, donuts, cereal, etc.

September 19, 2012 at 14:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Beth

Agree with you 100% Dave. I dropped the sugar, grains, starches, and processed food, and 40 pounds literally fell off me. I'm 33 now, and I've been overweight since I was 10. This is the first and only thing that has worked for me. No tricks, no magic pills, just doing the RIGHT THING.

September 19, 2012 at 14:34 | Report abuse |
    • Dave A

Thank you Beth and congratulations. Look at all the fat bashing going on here. They have no idea what they're talking about do they? Everyone thinks we get fat because we're lazy and eat too much. The truth is we eat too much and are lazy because we are getting fat. If you haven't read "Why we get fat and what to do about it" by Gary Taubes, you should. He does a superb job of explaining the metabolic problem so many of us have.

September 19, 2012 at 15:10 | Report abuse |
    • Will

Cutting out carbs doesn't work for everyone. If you burn a high number of calories in a day, you NEED carbs. Olympic-class athletes, along with other professional athletes, consume high amounts of carbs daily. Even people that may run three or four miles a day need carbs. It's more of a question of how you use the carbs you take in as well as the types of carbs. Carbs are an essential part of metabolism (sugar + oxygen = carbon dioxide and water).

September 19, 2012 at 15:24 | Report abuse |
    • Dave A

Agreed. I actually need 50-60 grams of carbs per day to lose weight. Everyone has a different carb tolerance. But 300+ grams per day is waaaaaaaay too much for the average person. We need education and moderation more than anything.

September 19, 2012 at 15:31 | Report abuse |
    • Beth

eth

Will, please don't tell me you're comparing obese people to olympic athletes. Yes, you do need carbs for energy. If you are burning tons of energy a day training, you need a lot of carbs or your muscles will start wasting eventually. But if you take in more carbs than you burn, the body stores it, and that's when obesity results. I'd guess that an olympic athlete needs hundreds of carbs a day (btw, their goal is improved performance, not to lose weight). The average person will do just fine with less than 100.

September 19, 2012 at 16:45 | Report abuse |
    • Stiles

The average American isn't an Olympian, so the high carb diets that these athletes eat aren't going to be beneficial. If I ate as much as say, Michael Phelps, my weight would balloon in a heartbeat.
      And yes, it's absolutely true that what you eat and the types of carbs you eat are important. People need carbohydrates for energy, sure, but we don't need them in the form of highly processed white bread, etc. Foods like some fruits actually have a good amount of (healthy!) carbs in them.

October 9, 2012 at 11:20 | Report abuse |
  29. Dickie

Fatty, fatty, four by four. Fatty, fatty is sitting on the floor. To tired to get up, to tired to try, she shoves cheetos in her mouth. Nobody'll f her, everyone stares, she's an eyesore that makes us mad.

September 19, 2012 at 14:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • fiftyfive55

hey little dickey,your beard is hangin on your balls

September 19, 2012 at 14:49 | Report abuse |
  30. someone

Weight is a personal choice of what you eat, your metabolism, and exercise. If you have children then you're being selfish.

September 19, 2012 at 14:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. LT

saying people don't know/understand/uneducated about food/calories/health is just a blanket statement and simply not actually true for the majority who are obese, and saying such things is irresponsible to why we have an obesity problem. They know they are not eating healthy, I hear people who are overweight acknowledge that they are, but there are too many reasons why people are obese, some are stressed and do not sleep well those two factors add the lbs. along with what they are eating just makes it worse. I have a family memeber who keeps getting bigger every year, just keeps eating no matter what, its like people have learned to eat to entertain themsleves and eat even when they are not hundgry. Yes we have processed food which doesn't help, but most people are just eating too much food, eating all the time. If people ate proportionatly and only at meal times I am sure we wouldn't have this problem at all regardless of all the fast food chains.

September 19, 2012 at 14:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Phillylady66

No excuses for being fat! Stop eating so much! You should eat to live, not live to eat.
    Stop stuffing your face and you won't be fat. I too object to paying for fat people's medical
    care. It's embarrassing and disgusting that so many Americans are the size of blimps!

September 19, 2012 at 14:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dickie

Hey...what about all the ethnic dudes out there that like big ol' chunky, sweaty women?

September 19, 2012 at 14:36 | Report abuse |
    • Opportunity

Telling a carbohydrate addict to STOP eating so much is much harder than telling a heroin addict to stop using their drug of choice. And if you don't believe me....STOP eating sugar of ANY KIND for two months. Just try it. You have to read EVERY label to make sure it has NO glycemic index whatsoever.

Or how bout try to imagine what would happen if you suddenly told people...eh sorry you need a prescription for that sugar there.... Truly....think about carbohydrate addiction and the damage it does. Our society is INUNDATED with it. From food to alcohol (which is PURE carbohydrate), we are total addicts now, and you don't have to be FAT. Try refusing a child his can of soda or his ice cream or those yummy rice crispy treats or even baked apple pie. Try it with an entire society. Imagine it.... Yea there is the problem. NO ONE WANTS to look at OR deal with because it would mean too much change for EVERYONE including YOU.

September 19, 2012 at 14:54 | Report abuse |
  33. kathy

People are fat because they CHOOSE to eat and drink the way they do. Period. Take some personal responsibility and stop eating so much!

September 19, 2012 at 14:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Opportunity

Yes they may choose at first. But once an addict has his first taste of the MOST addictive substance on the planet – carbohydrates – he's been had unless he's got a VERY strong will. Sugar and carbs are like a drug to the body. Sugar is MORE addictive than Heroin and Cocaine. Along with the damage over time of an entire society, carbohydrate addiction is nearly ground into our cultures world wide. Some scientists feel sugar should be labeled as a DRUG. What would YOU do if suddenly you needed a prescription to buy sugar. Imagine what would happen if they even TRIED that.

They won't even try that because people would go nutty if they were cut off from their carbs...is true if you sit and imagine the scene...

September 19, 2012 at 14:59 | Report abuse |
  34. WMesser58

I take responsibility for being obese but, obesity is the last form of discrimination even though it’s been stated that over half of Americans are going to be overweight.
    But with any addition people have they are still human. I was very active in my youth and was never over one hundred and sixty pounds at 5’10” and served in the military if you had told me I would get morbidly obese I would have said you were insane and yet here we are.
    I’m tried though of self-righteous nut jobs thinking they can look down on me as if I were nothing everyone has issues of one kind or another and I didn’t wake-up one day and say I can’t wait to get morbidly obese so that I can ruins some @$$ holes day.
    It in the long run will shorten my life and that makes me sad because I won’t be able to upset morons who think they are superior to those of us who are gravity challenged but, as the article says help is on the way because soon we will outnumber the skinny and I believe they’ll taste just fine with a nice wine.

September 19, 2012 at 14:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dickie

The good ol' "I've given up" approach to living life. Or " I know you're right but I'll continue to disagree so I don't look like an even bigger a hole". Grow up. BTW...thin is superior to fattiness. Fat is yuck.

September 19, 2012 at 14:43 | Report abuse |
    • obesityisnojoke

the fact that your aware that you are obese is a great step!!!! Loosing weight is about baby steps– cut out one soft drink a day or start with a 30 min walk 3 days a week!
      YOU CAN DO IT!

September 19, 2012 at 15:08 | Report abuse |
    • WMesser58

@obesityisnojoke thank you for your support and input.

September 19, 2012 at 16:18 | Report abuse |
  35. red

I can healthy and put on the pounds I can eat very little and still put on the pounds I don't eat fast food I eat a lot of fresh food very little meat come to find out my thyroid is the problem and I can not get the doc's to look in to it more I took one test and it is on the low end but we have to wait and see what will happen so all in all it may not be just all of are fault.

September 19, 2012 at 14:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dave A

I'd be willing to bet there is nothing wrong with your thyroid. The problem is most of us eat too many carbohydrates. Read "Why we get fat and what to do about it" by Gary Taubes. It might just change your life.

September 19, 2012 at 14:57 | Report abuse |
  36. D Brennan

My weight gain was my fault. I put on a hundred pounds over 15 years through eating and drinking too much while not exercising enough and working a desk job. I had all of the excuses – overweight family, heavy travel schedule for work, 'bad genes and memes', processed food, living in the suburbs, etc.

The funny thing though was that once I owned up to the problem and changed a lot of bad habits I started making progress. In 8 months I lost 50 pounds and have not put any back on. I am competing in my first triathlon this weekend. Thanks to P90X, biking to work, eating a lot less (especially carbs), sleeping more and mostly eliminating alcohol and television from my daily routine I am slowly working on the next 50 pounds though I anticipate this taking a lot more than 8 months.

I took these habit changes one by one, starting with getting rid of television. Then came P90X for exercise followed by a low-carb diet and then biking to work. I am happier, healthier and sometimes actually look forward to working out now.

September 19, 2012 at 14:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Beth

Excellent job! Way to be accountable and take personal responsibility! You have added years to your life.

September 19, 2012 at 14:46 | Report abuse |
    • Dave A

Another low carb success story. Congratulations.

September 19, 2012 at 14:58 | Report abuse |
  37. slkj2lkjkl2jlkjskljkl

Its the fat persons fault.

Saying that unhealthy foods are cheaper is an excuse. You dont have to buy expensive foods, to eat healthy. Its just a matter of not going to mcdonalds(which i dont even understand because it tastes like crap) and making the food yourself.

You don't have to go to the gym, or go walking every day, or schedule any time to exercising. Just take little steps to increase your activity through the day. For instance if you go to a store, don't park in the front row, park in the back and walk across the parking lot. Or take the stairs up 1 or 2 flights instead of riding the elevator. Stuff like that means nothing on its own, but they are extremely easy to do and increase your activity level.

September 19, 2012 at 14:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Pan3

it's the US culture of fast food and more, more, more...

September 19, 2012 at 14:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Tearlag

Personally, I think it's time to stop trying to assign blame in what I call the "obesity game". People talk about eating fresh fruits and vegetables, that's a given. Avoiding sugar and white flour products...another given. Burning more calories than taking in...again, no brainer. But why has no one even mentioned genetically modified food? Has no one else noticed that the obesity epidemic seems to have evolved along side the practice of messing with the very thing that makes us fat in the first place? Everyone has to eat, and sure we should cut back on the fat, sugar and flour, but what about the things in your food that you don't even know are there? I mean, right under this box I am typing in right now there is a link to a report that says kids should only eat tuna once a month...why? Because we have polluted our oceans and now the chemicals are building up in the fish. Science needs to stop messing with our food supply. When you genetically modify corn to produce its own pesticide, don't you wonder what it's doing to your body when you eat it? Like I said before, everyone needs to eat to survive, and I believe that science needs to stop messing with the things that are necessary for basic survival like food. It wouldn't hurt any of us to say no to that slice of cake, bag of chips, or other high sugar fatty foods and to get up off our butts and move a little more, but lets find out whats in the so called "healthy food" before we just start pointing fingers at the possible victims of genetic modifications lets find out exactly what these modifications are doing to our bodies first.

September 19, 2012 at 14:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sm2014

YES! Agree 100%.

September 19, 2012 at 14:49 | Report abuse |
    • commonsense

chagnes in modified food may have health concerns but is dwarfed by the dollar menu hoarders and the buffet line hogs. Pesticides could (for the sake of argument) be "unhealthy". but if you are trying to say they are making people fat, that is wrong. How many Kcals are in pesticides?

September 19, 2012 at 14:55 | Report abuse |
    • jasmine

So so true.....it worries the heck out of me and corn is in an numerous products we eat daily. I live around corn fields . I am no farmer but its quite scary when i saw no bugs on one side of the road but saw literally millions on the other side. The difference was a genetically engineered seed compared to a general seed. It is very scary! This is the things we are consuming..............ugh!

September 19, 2012 at 14:59 | Report abuse |
  40. ivan

I love how people want to tell me what I can and can't do or eat etc. I love the 2nd amendment. You want to tell me how to live then tell it to my gun.

September 19, 2012 at 14:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Johnjon

the answer is, Sam's Club and Costco.

September 19, 2012 at 14:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Ben

The problem is the modern workplace. We evolved for thousands upon thousands of years, millions of years when you count pre-human ancestors, to be mobile. To act. Now we're sitting at desks for 8 hours day doing mentally draining tasks that make us want to go home and relax. That makes us fat.

We need more workplaces that let you stand and move around A LOT. Humans should be on their feet for the great majority of their day. A number of studies recently demonstrate that just standing rather than sitting, even if you still work at a computer all day, lowers your odds of dying in the near future vs someone who sits by something like 60%.

September 19, 2012 at 14:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dave A

People with a healthy metabolism will eat less when they do less. Calories in and calories out are connected. The problem is excessive carbohydrates screw up our metabolism and make us eat too much and also makes us feel lazy. Nothing is going to change until the FDA accepts the fact that processed grains are the problem. Their recommendations are killing us.

September 19, 2012 at 15:16 | Report abuse |
  43. chicago7

I never see more enthusiastic energy in these comments sections as when posters have someone to feel superior to.

September 19, 2012 at 14:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • fiftyfive55

just a bunch of little guys with size issues

September 19, 2012 at 14:58 | Report abuse |
  44. jasmine

Its no-ones fault but your own. Society has us eating all these convienient foods when in reality what is best cost more and is in more raw of a form. Sugar,preservatives,etc etc is killing us slowly. We have more disease now and this will continue because most people wont change what they eat. They believe in a diet..........................a diet is changing your everyday food habits EVERYDAY not just until you lose weight. Heart disease starts as young as 10-12yrs old. There is proof of this from soldiers who died in the Korean war. They were in their early 20's and allready had significant heart disease when autopsied. This should be an eye opener for anyone who is concerned with their health.

September 19, 2012 at 14:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. dragonwife

I see the fat-bashers are out in force. Yes, of course a large number of people who are overweight are that way because they eat poorly and/or too much, don't exercise, or both. But there are many of us who eat well and sensibly, exercise, and still can not lose weight for one reason or another. I'm overweight (not grossly) and would love to lose several pounds. I've been at the same weight (within 5 pounds) for the last 5 years. Once I decided I wanted to do something about myself (about that same 5 years ago), during that time I have: cut out almost all junk food (I do allow myself an OCCASIONAL small treat, and by occasional I mean just that – not daily or even weekly, but maybe once every couple of weeks); increased my intake of vegetables and lean protein; eat whole-grain whenever possible; cut way back or completely eliminated high-carb/high-fat/sugary foods; learned portion control so I can keep my calories averaging 1500-1600 a day (not excessive by any means); started exercising at least 30 minutes, and sometimes up to 2 1/2 hours, nearly every day (yoga/pilates, strength training, cardio, and martial arts). In the last 5 years, my weight has not changed. I've gotten much more toned, I feel good and have much more energy, but the scale will not budge. In the past, I have been desperate enough to try a medically supervised program where calories were controlled (no cheating possible) and exercise was mandatory. I was on that program for 6 months, and lost ONE pound. One. My doctor tells me I'm doing everything right and my health is fine, yet I can't lose the weight.

If anyone has any SERIOUS suggestions about what else I can try, since I've already been the "put down the fork and get off the couch" route, I'd be happy to hear them. (Of course I will continue to eat healthily and exercise, mainly because it makes me feel better.) But in the meantime, stop generalizing about those of us who don't measure up to your "thin standard". You don't know our situation or what we may be doing about it, and it's really, really infuriating to be dismissed as "fat and lazy" when I'm far from lazy and doing my best not to be chubby.

September 19, 2012 at 14:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • fiftyfive55

dont listen to these fools,they dont know didly about squat.more "skinny " people are suffering from cancers,heart attacks,knee replacements,shin splints,compressed discs from impact excercise not to mention the fools on bicycles getting run over by cars.

September 19, 2012 at 14:56 | Report abuse |
    • maxine

September 19, 2012 at 14:56 | Report abuse |
    • Dave A

What makes you think whole grain isn't high carb? Did you know that most whole grain breads have a higher glycemic index than white bread and even table sugar? Shocking isn't it? You should read "Why we get fat and what to do about it" by Gary Taubes. He does an excellent job of explaining the process of fat storage. Also, take a look at the Paleo Diet and "Wheat Belly".

September 19, 2012 at 15:22 | Report abuse |
  46. Burbank

Obesity, alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, all addictions are the fault of the addicted. No one else has control over what they choose to put in their bodies! Other factors may make it easier or harder to get off the drug (yes, food is often used like a drug) but the fault ALWAYS lies with the addict. The end of the addition starts with pointing the finger at their own chest. Plain and simple! It's not rocket science! No excuses! And yes, I have recovered from addictions myself, cigarettes are the hardest of all!

September 19, 2012 at 14:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. maxine

to all.... I do watch what I eat, and I am TOO embarrassed to fail in the gym, I prefer looking like an idiot in the privacy of my home.
    Thnks to those of you who are actuallly trying to be helpful as opposed to folks that think they have the magic answers.

September 19, 2012 at 14:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Amerifats

There are no magic numbers. Stop eating so god damn much. It's not rocket science.

September 19, 2012 at 15:03 | Report abuse |
    • Dave A

It's the carbs. "Healthy Whole Grain" isn't healthy at all. It's loaded with flour right? Flour is processed carbohydrates whether the whole grain is used or not, it's still processed. Read "Why we get fat and what to do about it" by Gary Taubes. It will change your life.

September 19, 2012 at 15:24 | Report abuse |
  48. Jesse

I absolutely hate the fact that everyone thinks that everything should be based upon numbers that dont always tell the whole story. I am an Athlete, and at 25 years old I consider myself really fit. I am 6' tall and weigh 245 pounds, i have a 34" waist and can run 5 miles non-stop. My BMI is 33.2 which is classified as obese. So, while I agree with most of you that people need to get up off the couch and get out, let's think about better ways to go about measuring obesity than two numbers which do not truly tell you how fit someone might be.

September 19, 2012 at 14:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jasmine

But the BMI chart does not lie and is the truth of where one stands so?????

September 19, 2012 at 15:10 | Report abuse |
  49. Nath

Just a quick a comment:

Two years ago, my weight was 240 pounds, I had trouble breathing, I was smoking and eating fast food all the time. I decided to change my life and with my father help, hired a personal trainer and nutritionist. I go to the gym three time a week, do one hour of cardio each day and one hours of cardio/weight with the trainer (3x times a week). As of today, I am 183 pounds, but I've been stock on that weight for four months now. I eat extremely healthy, exercise like crazy but my body seems to be stock on this weight. I also work 8 to 9 hours a day, have a house to clean and a social life to live. Some of you might considere me overweight, however, should you if I do so much as explained before? My trainer says that I might have a slow metabolism. So even if obese lose weight and exercise, they might never be, for some of you, the perfect little human?

September 19, 2012 at 14:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. dubrats

record # of people on welfare and record # of people obese....hmmmm....yep i see a pattern here.

September 19, 2012 at 14:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dave A

You must be a scientist. I'm impressed with your intellect.

September 19, 2012 at 15:33 | Report abuse |