home
RSS
Smoke-free for seven months... and counting
September 7th, 2012

Smoke-free for seven months... and counting

Editor's note: Rick Morris is one of seven CNN viewers selected to be a part of the Fit Nation Triathlon Challenge program. In the week leading up to the Nautica Malibu Triathlon, each of the "Lucky 7" will share his or her thoughts on the journey.

In addition to visiting all the micro-breweries in Asheville, North Carolina, every bucket list should contain the goal of completing a triathlon.

It just makes plain 'ole sense. Why? Well, for starters, this former smoker and couch “tater” knows how the rewards of tough training and a commitment to prevail teaches a man how to feel better and live stronger.

Yeah, it's me... Appalachian Rick. I'm the same feller who recently discovered the tasty bean paste plenty of folk call “hummus." That's right, the guy who told Dr. Sanjay Gupta that he was fed up with the cancer sticks. The guy who as of today (September 4, 2012) has been smoke-free for 7 months.

You know me as one of the Lucky Seven.

Along with six other Fit Nation participants, I'll be completing my first triathlon next week in Malibu, California. Astronaut Sunita Williams will be joining us as well, except she'll be doing hers on the International Space Station. I still don't know how she's going to swim a half-mile in space!

I can't believe how quickly time has passed since I was notified by CNN that I had been selected as a member of this year's Fit Nation team.

Discovering new friends was the best part, without question. Getting the opportunity to toss future Hall of Famer Jerry Stackhouse an “alley oop” and training with the Atlanta Hawks is unforgettable! And, though humble at the time, I quite honestly didn't mind CNN's cameras in my face every moment – whether on an exotic beach in Hawayer, in Centennial Park, or while bouncing around the CNN Center.

The hours of training and support from my personal trainers Bill and Susan Wilkins are immeasurable. The support from my local fitness center at MedWest Haywood has been second to none. The equipment provided by CNN is top-notch. Our mid-term tour on the Big Island of Hawaii was tolerable.

Crashing a road bike was educational.

I'm writing this - my last blog post before I jump head first into the Pacific (they said there ain't no rope swings on Malibu Beach) - to let you know how I'm feeling, what has made me successful, and what I expect to accomplish by completing my first triathlon.

One of the more important things I wanted to accomplish has already been achieved: I quit smoking for good. I don't have enough room here to tell you how great I feel. But, what I can tell you is I'm so glad I quit. Thanks to Kathy Keogh at MedWest, my smoke-free teacher, in part for that.

I cannot wait to cross the finish line in Malibu. In my Army days, accomplishing the mission was always the focus. I can't remember when I didn't succeed. Of course, I'm not 20 years old anymore!

Physical success comes less often these days it seems. Prior to coming on board with the Fit Nation team, I was certain that I had reached a point when life stops giving and starts taking.

Today, at 44 years old, I refuse to believe that.

I recall a moment in the movie "Shawshank Redemption" when Morgan Freeman's character says, “Get busy living or get busy dying”. That statement has silently been a driving force in my training this year.

There have been plenty of times where I have ridden my triathlon bike 30, even 40 miles. I've also swam 4,500 meters time and again. I ran 3 and 4-mile treks more in the past eight months than I did in the 10 years after leaving the military.

There have also been plenty of times where I have moped and groaned about training for the day. Excuses were easy to find. Overcoming those notions was often less easy.

But the overwhelming desire to accomplish something that I'll use to launch my bucket list keeps me focused. Plus, my local trainer Bill happens to be the race director for the King of the Smokies Triathlon right here in Western North Carolina. He and CNN's fitness trainer - who I refer to as “Drill Sergeant” - have been extremely supportive.

In my video submission I stated, “I don't want to die from controllable circumstances... I want to live.” And, by God I'm going to do just that!

Start you own bucket list today and join me in getting healthy and living longer. Yeah, you! Do you see me talking to someone else? Quit making excuses and start moving.

I owe a great debt of gratitude to CNN, medical producers Matt Sloan and Caitlin Hagan, Dr. Gupta, April Burkey, Laura Cozik, Roni Selig, Ilana Katz, and the entire CNN team. Thank you so much for this opportunity.

See you at the finish line!

You can follow CNN Fit Nation on Facebook and Twitter. Read more of Rick's blogs here

1. trihardcarlos

Rick, CONGRATULATIONS you non-smoker you!!! what a ride it has been and I'm glad we've been able to share it! Great blog! Let's see what we can do about that rope swing when we get to Malibu, I'm sure we can work something out!!

Carlos : )

September 9, 2012 at 11:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rick

Let's do that Carlos!

September 10, 2012 at 11:00 | Report abuse |
  2. Bonnie

Congratulation on your accomplishments! You are aspiring. I am running in my first race...only a 5K but still on my bucklet list. And I have been smoke free for 3 months! Yeah!
    Good luck with the triathalon. I'm sure it will be life changing, in itself.

September 9, 2012 at 16:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rick

Good luck, Bonnie. You can do it! After that 5k, check out the local tri club.

September 10, 2012 at 11:03 | Report abuse |
  3. m@yahoo.com

do people actually believe the writer will read their comments? or does saying something make you feel like you have a false human connection to this man? dont bother answering, i wont be back to read it. just food for thought.

September 10, 2012 at 04:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Farrah

I wanted to thank you for this great read!!

Tubal Reversal Surgery

September 10, 2012 at 09:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. roofing contractor Temecula CA

362567 377695U never get what u expect u only get what u inspect 333583

March 13, 2021 at 12:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. LorenaBlairjar

An advert for an online dating service has become frozen after its scientific clai

An advert for an online dating service has been banned after its scientific claims were dismissed as little more than "Fake facts,

The billboard advertfor eHarmony reported it uses a "clinically proven matching system,

about the, The campaign Standards Agency (ASA) Said the service could offer no evidence that customers had a appreciably greater chance of finding lasting love.

"This is a new form of fake news that this ASA has rightly slapped down,

The ad, Placed on a London subway platform, had to talk about: "Step apart from, experience. it's time science had a go at love,

It happened: "Imagine having the capacity to stack the odds of finding lasting love entirely in your favour. EHarmony's scientifically proven matching system decodes the mystery of compatibility and chemistry so you don't need to. Why leave creativeness search of your life to chance,

The website said it used an algorithm based on scientific theories in the relationship literature of assortative mating that required users to complete lengthy questionnaires to determine their characteristics, respects, Interests and other reasons.

Users were then matched to other individuals whose responses complemented their own preferences and matched a specific percentage of a list of personality factors that eHarmony determined to be vital in successfully matching people.

The asia me ASA said consumers would think of the claim "medically proven matching system" To mean that research had found that the website offered users a significantly greater chance of finding lasting love than what could be achieved if they did not use the service.

It noted that neither of the studies provided by eHarmony revealed anything about the overall percentage of its users who had found lasting love after using your website compared to other sources.

now, Neither study provided insight into the prospect of the website finding users lasting love compared to users who did not use the service.

The ASA defined: "Because the evidence provided by eHarmony did not demonstrate that their matching system offered users a enormously greater chance of finding lasting love than what could be achieved if they didn't use the service, We figured that the claim 'scientifically proven matching system' was misleading,

Romain Bertrand, maintaining director at eHarmony UK, talked about: "EHarmony was conceived on the premise that science and research could be harnessed to help individuals find love. for upwards of 17 years, Eharmony has been matching singles into high quality, Long lasting relationships based upon more experienced matching standards designed by PhD psychologists.

March 23, 2021 at 11:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Gorgeousgvu

love online dating site

dating foreign girls has actually been stigmatized for evere,forever. some time ago, paid dating sites have been completely known as sides pertaining to your keen also lonely. everyone's learning it! others companies declare that over 40% in all single adults of america (or even a 50 million) may have tested out online dating.

considerably, merely the absolute details covered, there's sure to be countless great quality guys along these kinds paid dating sites. And loads of them are just as appealing, questioning, ajar, insecure, and as well,as well as the big day very you will. therefore,really routine many other live on the internet daters and empathy and a humorousness.

Cyberdating may well be a viable option for yourself, should go to it with the right point of view.

the online is ordinarily crazy not to mention glorious, and possesses piped in line with most living spaces a terrific, exceptional, tempting industry. there is an almost mysterious craftsmanship into it, definitely in that respect? then there's an inclination to think it might help sorcery for people, just too. carefully, it can't! dui lawyer las vegas only a piece of computer.

your laptop or computer is not going to like magic just turn you into a well liked, positively social animal. not necessarily look at the web as your "huge very white pray" to those soulmate. in the event enter it with that kind of posture, you will for sure lack the possibility!

in fact, see international dating like simply a strategy of release. check it out for a tiny moment in time, and make it one small-scale part of their self confidence. And remember that once you get past the the introduction, and as a consequence mature asian women pics get together with one on one, are usually back home at their where you started, In the old fashioned dating game.

What is the benefit of internet dating? anonymity. The anonymity of predominantly using the net experiences means that you can make your foot in, the time or even; You might have just been qualified in merely in the real world. a potential day needs to speak with you instead of rejecting you very quickly in excess of a superficial personal target.

privacy usually forms timid ladies eye-catching! it is simple to proposition online, as well as,while alluring in its own right. which it quickly banishes lonesomeness, understanding get hooked on it. the thing is, a possibility real. about to catch definitely tease, you're sure of? weight loss kiss and lick your modem.

uniform dating is only an easy way to a stop, Which is to find a suitable going out wife or husband. Don't get caught up around the e relationship method of life for ever. locate over the e-mail time the shared appeal is obvious. And no matter what psychologically on board you might actually seem, casually, It isn't likely from adore human being you haven't fulfilled!

there not any way to know for sure when your hormone balance potentially there is an additional source in the flesh adventure. so it will be foolish with regard to let a "romance" talk forevery with no having date. a large amount of heartwarming venture at risk, and perhaps a lot of time otherwise unused, insanely.

April 2, 2021 at 13:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. 풀팟포커

660314 285263Often the Are normally Weight reduction strategy is unquestionably an low-priced and flexible weight-reduction program product modeled on individuals seeking out shed some pounds combined with at some point maintain a far healthier your life. la weight loss 952600

April 19, 2021 at 22:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Billmga

What precisely makes the Best Online dating sites available on the net

it is crucial to get the best out of the online dating knowledge, And the very best dating sites available on the internet are only as good as the people you are attaching with. The best dating sites to make sure all of their users have an match opportunity to succeed in their going out with endeavors. Precisely what makes a going out with site the best?

Finding a good relationship needs an individual to look earlier superficial qualities and focus more troubles commonality and matches. it can be through this connection that a two person can form a great connection, for this reason ensuring that the partnership grows much deeper. around the, In order to build that connection a internet dating site must provide a system for two individuals to connect with each other. as being a result, In order to establish a strong connection it is vital to look for dating sites that provide the best match feasible.

This is because every individual has a different style of searching, Saying and connected, As a result it is essential that a individual ability to converse on a basic level is maximized. doing this, connecting is done much easier, That allows a person to not just hook up to another individual, Nonetheless also in order to connect with their spouse. In order to be good in your online dating sites endeavor, speech is vital.

Another have a look at determining which in turn dating web page is the best may be the quality of their online dating and messaging solutions. Through these types of services, It is also possible to find others who act like you, And those people can help to develop a communal feeling. there is no better way to produce that perception of community than by making friends with other people through these companies.

now, The best dating sites will supply an array of tools to help individuals steer the waters of uniform dating. by giving a group messaging system, These services allow individuals to understand others inside the dating community. This provides the potential for equally individuals to develop a sense of friendship and discover connection.

additionally, The best these dating sites will likewise allow visitors to utilize social media. Through wearing social media, Individuals should be able to not only meet fresh friends, But for also remain connected with persons that they have established romances with. Once establishing a long lasting break up, this to keep connected, And social networking helps to do this.

Best dating sites will also consider the demands of nearly all people should they be making a dating profile. Whether you are looking for a rapport or possibly a casual connection, it's critical to ensure you are included. This will help to ensure you find a way to find the best meet for yourself.

and also, The best online dating services will make this easy for people to be successful inside their online dating efforts. This is because you'll want to take care of a sense of pride while in dating.

While you'll attract the attention of other people through physical speak to, The basic particulars of their looks are what most other folks are concerned with. this kind of basic data allow individuals to be well intentioned of one some other and to benefit from their amount of time in the seeing community. helpful to those who because it will keep people from getting damage.

What is significant is that the ideal dating sites will not provide a place for individuals to engage in online dating that is automatically physical. additionally, These sites will provide the opportunity for individuals to match at an offline location, like a club, Pub get or dining. This means that there is an element of quality time spent together without the need for physical get in touch with.

Best internet dating sites can also furnish their users with features which will help them relate to each other by means of their internet dating experiences. These seniorpeoplemeet.com reviews include features possibly forums, Instant texting, Forums at the same time picture uploads. Through gets into something, everyone is able to communicate and stay linked with others just who share a common interest.

in the end, It is crucial to ensure that the best online dating services are available to users who would like to create the very best online dating experiences. By creating a strong communal feeling in the online dating community, uniform dating can become a enjoyable and pleasant experience. in case you seek real love, Online dating is your best option.

April 30, 2021 at 05:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Billudl

Fujifilm's first security camera can read a license plate from 1km away

At high zoom levels administering the airliners is the hard part. You require a steady hand, Although the image leveling really helps. That feels pretty cool. With the p1000 there'll be atmospheric shimmering pretty often.

> It's got a fast autofocus that can focus in as soon as 0.3 a while, Optical image leveling, And an image processing engine that's able to reduce results of fog and heat haze. The camera will also support ISO levels of up to 819200 for filming at nightThis is the novelty. Basically raising on other camera systems by making the optics better. There are many surveillance cameras that offer a similar set of features but perhaps with lower specs (slow AF, less efficient processing algorithms, as well as.). But I don think they claimed to be a success invention, Just a smart first step into the field and a possible improvement over some of the competing offerings. But the universe is very vast. Ex girlfriendsThis is such a standard trope, And it should be fairly well known by now how so many American cops are basically bullies with guns, That I need to wonder why any sane woman would ever date one. Horror stories about the things the ex girlfriends and ex wives of cops have gone through have been around for many decades, It not today's truck owner. I have seen a non negligible number of women on online dating services asiafriend who have specifically said they would not date anyone in law enforcement.

The stolen cars thing looks like it's the goto for making these okay in places. People think about a car being stolen or carjacked and want the masked armed robbers taken out. But I don think the malls and other places that have installed these and sold the data are really wanting to put our press releases about how many broke people late on the money they owe they turned over to repo men used that excuse to put some in at the airport near here, But I have second hand knowledge that they are used to Id other people and investigate other things, So that data is not in a read only plates put into the db are already stolen and get info back, It db data that is there and searchable shareable for other reasons, Most the general public may never know.

>Just as applicable to government as to businessThat a very hopeful reading of GDPR. used, LEO agencies attorney has to write them a compliance rationale doc supporting their need to use private data and that it. I bet activists are gearing up to challenge some of the people rationales in courts but those will be speed bumps at most.

May 7, 2021 at 03:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. villas in and around Hyderabad

581562 870939if this post was likened to a flavor of yogurt, what flavor would it be? Banana, I believe. 101692

May 25, 2021 at 10:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Adolph Hornish

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 5, 2021 at 14:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Holli Contreres

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

June 12, 2021 at 21:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Nathalie Chino

I don't know about you people but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/02/create-the-winning-timbers-livery-for-alaska-airlines-and-have-it-painted-on-a-plane/

June 13, 2021 at 07:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Burt Kry

I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/09/pushing-back-a-united-airlines-boeing-757/

June 13, 2021 at 23:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Felton Dederick

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

June 15, 2021 at 08:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Kermit Lundsford

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

June 21, 2021 at 21:53 | Report abuse | Reply