home
RSS
5 secrets you should never keep from your cardiologist
August 21st, 2012

5 secrets you should never keep from your cardiologist

Editor's note: These tips were originally published on CNN.com in 2011. To read the full article, click here.

When Rosie O'Donnell wrote about her recent heart attack on her blog, she mentioned several symptoms that she ignored before going to her cardiologist.

"i had an ache in my chest, both my arms were sore... i became nauseous, my skin was clammy, i was very very hot, i threw up... i googled womens heart attack symptoms, i had many of them, but really? – i thought – naaaa."

Heart disease is the number-one killer of both men and women, but O'Donnell's response is common, experts say - especially among women.

Although most report symptoms of chest pain with a heart attack, women are more likely to report unusual symptoms like back pain, jaw pain, light-headedness and extreme fatigue, according to the Cleveland Clinic.

It's never a good idea to withhold information from any doctor whom you entrust with your care. However, cardiologists say there are specific concerns that can be dangerous or even fatal when they aren't informed.

Here are five secrets you should never keep from your cardiologist.

1. If you are taking vitamins or supplements

Alternative medicine and herbal remedies may be great for some to help manage chronic conditions, but cardiologists warn certain supplements can pose serious risks to people who are also taking medications for heart disease.

From alfalfa to yohimbine, a study in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology lists more than two dozen herbal products patients with cardiovascular disease should avoid.

2. If you have undergone tests from other doctors

Patients may sometimes be shy about admitting to their physician that they have received a second opinion or additional testing, says Dr. Richard Stein, a national spokesperson for the American Heart Association.

"Your goal walking out is to get the best health care - not to make the doctor feel good," he says. If you've had a blood test, EKG, echocardiogram or angiogram, Stein says to keep your own patient file and bring it with you to your appointment.

"It's not fair to expect a doctor to understand the seriousness of your condition if they don't have all of the information."

To help you maximize your next visit to the cardiologist, CardioSmart provides an online checklist to help you prepare.

3. If you have skipped your medications

"Patients often lie about taking blood pressure or cholesterol medication," says Dr. Nieca Goldberg, director of the Women's Heart Program at New York University. She says sometimes they believe these drugs aren't necessary if they alter their diet. While that may be true in the long term, the effects of diet change are not as immediate, and the patient may be prolonging the problem.

Goldberg also says another potential problem arises when your cardiologist reads blood pressure and checks your cholesterol levels and notices no change.

"You don't want to accidentally be given a prescription for a higher dose, when you're not even taking the lower dose," she explains.

4. If you are going through hard times

"When you're under stress you have extra adrenaline that can stimulate the heart to skip beats and have palpitations," says Dr. Alfred Bove, past president of the American College of Cardiology.

He says patients who have experienced some serious life trauma - like a death, layoffs, divorce, or even just a stressful job - may have elevated blood pressure and should be monitored more vigilantly.

5. If you haven't really stuck to your diet

"Everyone wants to put their best foot forward, so it's easy to come in and say you've started an exercise program when it really didn't happen," says Goldberg. "But just saying you exercised doesn't improve your cardiovascular health."

In fact, it could be harmful, says Stein.

"If a patient tells me they don't have chest pains, but they are doing nothing in terms of physical activity, then I'm not getting an accurate picture of the shape their heart is really in," he explains. "I may want to do a stress test to see what really happens when you exercise."

If you feel uncomfortable talking with your doctor about your health, then change doctors.

1. Well

...how are those secrets?...really?...you're not going to tell your Dr. that why?

August 21, 2012 at 13:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mommytoane

Oh trust me. People don't tell their dr's a lot. Many people think going on a vitamin is just...normal. They don't think to to tell their dr's that. Then you have the people that think a DR and a shrink are two different things....so don't say whats going on in their lives.
      BUT if you also think of the reality that your dr sepends two seconds with you...thats a lot of time for a lot of information that could be given.

August 21, 2012 at 17:08 | Report abuse |
    • c s

mommytoane – I read the list of supplements that was listed in the reference article at http://content.onlinejacc.org/article.aspx?articleid=1140425 and none were vitamins. The whole list was prefixed by "might" for possible problems. Too much salt can raise your blood pressure but no mention was made of it. Anything that you do "might" be a problem. Most people who have heart problems have much more to worry about then taking vitamins. Does this mean that vitamins are completely harmless? No, but they are taken daily by millions and if vitamins were causing problems, it would have shown up by now. Probably the best thing most people can take is a multivitamin. In fact any women of child bearing age should be taking a multivitamin that has at least 400 mcg of Folic acid to prevent a horrible disease called spina bifida. Only by taking a multivitamin with 400 mcg of Folic acid is it possible to get enough of it.

August 21, 2012 at 19:28 | Report abuse |
    • whatever

When you live in America where your health/habbits can be held against you in obtaining insurance, many people learn to lie. One more thing against private medicine.

August 21, 2012 at 20:42 | Report abuse |
  2. New Gawker

The only thing I see there that someone would tell their dr. is no. 5 and that's only if your a fat pig. Fat people are always lying about their eating habits. My favorite is I eat the same amount of food you do.

August 21, 2012 at 13:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Emastmagy

They do. They just don't exercise as much!

August 21, 2012 at 14:33 | Report abuse |
    • truebob

Conceited JACKA55. 80% of your weight success of failure is genetic. Heavy people who eat right and diet will be in shape heavy people and skinny people who drink pizza and spend all day gaming will be out of shape skinny people. I have always been extremely athletic looking and it doesn't make much difference if I'm going to the gym 6 times a week or sitting in front of the computer 10 hours a day for years. Diet or no, beer or no, same clothes and no one notices but me. Same for the wife except she is a size 2, and she really does eat as much as I do.

August 21, 2012 at 18:34 | Report abuse |
    • Adam

80% of weight loss success is genetic? Are you high? Thats complete BS. That is just an excuse period. Its all numbers, if you take in more calories than you burn, you will gain weight. If you burn as much as you take in each day, you will maintain. If you burn more than you take it, you lose weight. No magic. Plain and simple. If youre burning more calories than you take in, and stay your similar weight or go up, you have a medical issue and should seek help. But its DEFINITELY not 80% genetic.

August 21, 2012 at 19:22 | Report abuse |
    • lolz

"you're"

August 23, 2012 at 11:46 | Report abuse |
    • lolz

"truebob – ... 80% of your weight success of failure is genetic..."

wrong. it's all calories in vs. calories burned. burn more calories than you take in on a given day and you will lose weight. period.

August 23, 2012 at 11:58 | Report abuse |
  3. yoyoman

# 6 smoke as much tabcco as humanly possible.

August 21, 2012 at 13:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. doungen dragon

^hahah #7 drink as much caffine and 5 hr energys as possible

August 21, 2012 at 13:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Me2!!!

#8 avoid regular DR visits and Ki$$ you A$$ goodbye!

August 21, 2012 at 14:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. ReeferMadness

Best piece of advise in this whole article: If you are uncomfortable talking with your Dr, change doctors. Duh!

August 21, 2012 at 14:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. sumday

#9 use illegal substances

August 21, 2012 at 14:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. matta

#2: Looks good on paper, but... Many doctors will not see you if you have seen another doctor. It makes sense to do this, but be prepared to find another doctor.

August 21, 2012 at 15:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • lolz

my cardiologist is always booked up. I have to see his PA or my family practice doc. An actual cardiologist will see you regardless of what other docs you have seen.

August 23, 2012 at 11:47 | Report abuse |
  9. Bob

What does the text under #5 have to do with diet?

August 21, 2012 at 15:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. joe

General Practionitiors suck. They are just playing the odds. Specialists are the way to go if your insurance allows it.

August 21, 2012 at 15:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Katie

Telling your doctor everything may not matter. Most doctors aren't listening except to the part where you tell them what YOU think is wrong. Then they nod and say "could be, could be." Women present with a lot of symptoms for heart attack, but if they also insert how stressful their life is/has been, they may end up with a pat on the shoulder and a suggestion to take up yoga or a prescription for anti-anxiety or prescription meds. Like that'll work with an impending heart attack!! I have a doc who told me – when I mentioned weird tachycardia I had – that it was common with women my age and not to worry about it. I told a friend who sent me to her cardiologist who told me I had a heart valve problem. My niece fainted twice in two weeks, both times after what she called "weird" heart beats and tingling in her fingertips. Her doctor sent her to a psychologist. When she fainted a third time on the subway, the ambulance took her to the ER and she had dangerous arrythmias caused by extra nodes that signaled her heart to beat and they took her to surgery and fixed the problem.

August 21, 2012 at 16:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • widespread disregard

Yes, and what's particularly creepy is that female physicians are just as likely to blow off a woman's symptoms as male physicians. Women do need to learn to articulate their problems better and everyone needs to learn how to listen better.

August 21, 2012 at 17:13 | Report abuse |
  12. Jimmy

More CNN dribble...

August 21, 2012 at 16:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. rufus

Rosie O'Donnell never met a corn dog she didn't like.

August 21, 2012 at 17:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Quentin Terentino

Guess I'm off the hook for that half kilo I snorted last month!

August 21, 2012 at 17:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Respect

Important left out point in this article: Doctors know absolutely nothing about the human body. For those doctors, probably 95%, i.e., non-holistic doctors who do not encourage lifestyle change, they are nothing more than licensed drug dealers. They do not study on the effects of good diet, supplements, exercise, as well as the power of the mind to heal.

The best quote I ever heard was if you want to stay alive, stay out of the doctor's office and hospital.

August 21, 2012 at 17:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Portland tony

Healthy people are bad for physician's income ...Especially specialists....Prescribing a healthy lifestyle doesn't provide the awards and benefits that Big Pharma hands out.

August 21, 2012 at 20:18 | Report abuse |
  16. Lauren O'Connell

I really liked this article because I know myself when I go to the doctor I am hesitant when it comes to divulging details.
    For example I do not like to admit to '"cheating" on my diet, or I may not be be taking vitamins. No one really likes to admit those things at times. I luckily found my doctor on a website called DocASAP.com

August 22, 2012 at 15:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Shannon Taylor

Or your as angry and judgemental as some commenters here, you may have significant cardiac problems as well as mental health issues.

August 27, 2012 at 17:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. thiagodaluz7

I have two friends who are cardiologists in Montana and I've heard these things so often, the frustration at not hearing about important things until they become an issue. We have to be honest with the people who are supposed to help us stay healthy and...you know, alive.

July 1, 2013 at 12:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. advancedcardiodr

It is right that hiding secrets with cardiologist will effect your health. Dispose your self that your facing the problems causing the pain and be open to share almost every small doubt with your doctor.

November 12, 2014 at 13:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Buy Real Youtube Plays

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive learn something like this before. So nice to find someone with some unique thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this web site is something that's needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the web!

February 2, 2021 at 12:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. frolep rotrem

I have been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this web site. Thanks, I?¦ll try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your site?

February 6, 2021 at 19:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. zortilo nrel

Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is excellent, as well as the content!

February 7, 2021 at 04:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. https://europa-road.eu/hu/transportation.php

You made some fine points there. I did a search on the matter and found a good number of folks will agree with your blog.

February 9, 2021 at 03:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Fókuszpályázat pályázatírás Debrecen

An impressive share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing a bit evaluation on this. And he in reality purchased me breakfast as a result of I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I really feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If attainable, as you become experience, would you thoughts updating your blog with more details? It's extremely useful for me. Massive thumb up for this blog publish!

February 9, 2021 at 05:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. order Mushroom Capsules cheap overnight delivery

672590 506936you use a fantastic weblog here! do you wish to have the invite posts in my small weblog? 539431

February 25, 2021 at 18:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Study in Nigeria

507866 410011Yeah bookmaking this wasnt a high risk determination outstanding post! . 915130

March 26, 2021 at 02:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Mint Juul Pods

286231 897710Precisely what I was seeking for, thankyou for putting up. 836003

April 12, 2021 at 07:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Carol Voskowsky

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

May 11, 2021 at 11:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Foster Salsberg

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

May 12, 2021 at 06:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. stornobrzinol

Thanks a lot for giving everyone an extraordinarily marvellous possiblity to read critical reviews from this blog. It can be so nice and also full of a good time for me personally and my office mates to visit your web site the equivalent of thrice in a week to learn the fresh guidance you have got. And of course, I'm so usually fascinated concerning the tremendous creative concepts served by you. Certain 2 areas in this post are ultimately the most impressive we have ever had.

May 15, 2021 at 05:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Loren Stremmel

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

May 17, 2021 at 09:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. storno brzinol

Great post. I am facing a couple of these problems.

May 17, 2021 at 14:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Rudy Souders

I don't know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/04/airline-livery-of-the-week-surinam-airways/

May 18, 2021 at 04:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Marcell Caywood

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

May 20, 2021 at 05:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Noel Fenchel

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

May 21, 2021 at 03:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Emelia Chanel

I don't know about you all but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/10/whats-the-difference-between-airline-merger-and-buy-out/

May 22, 2021 at 03:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Donnette Drapeaux

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

May 23, 2021 at 05:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Ronna Colemon

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

May 28, 2021 at 06:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Roland Howes

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

May 29, 2021 at 07:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Guy Hordyk

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

May 30, 2021 at 07:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Bernard Alstott

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

May 31, 2021 at 06:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Clayton Fritzgerald

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

June 3, 2021 at 01:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Reta Crowner

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 6, 2021 at 06:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Sherill Bartee

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 7, 2021 at 05:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Charita Walwyn

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 11, 2021 at 23:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Efrain Hassenger

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

June 12, 2021 at 18:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Caterina Antonich

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

June 15, 2021 at 06:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Cyndi Taintor

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

June 21, 2021 at 19:42 | Report abuse | Reply