home
RSS
Three simple weight-loss strategies that work
July 13th, 2012

Three simple weight-loss strategies that work

Cutting back on calories is the cornerstone of any successful weight-loss plan, but as dieters can attest, that's easier said than done.

So it's encouraging to learn that three simple strategies can provide a boost: Eat regular meals, write down everything you eat, and avoid restaurants and takeout at lunchtime.

These three habits were each linked to greater weight loss in a new study of 123 overweight and obese middle-aged women, all of whom managed to shed at least a few pounds over a one-year period.

Women who reliably ate breakfast, lunch and dinner lost an average of 11% of their body weight, compared to just 7% among women who skipped meals. (That's equivalent to a 5-foot, 6-inch woman who weighs 180 pounds losing 20 pounds instead of 13.)

Health.com: 25 ways to cut 500 calories a day

Methodically keeping a food journal was associated with losing roughly 4% more body weight. And women who never ate restaurant lunches lost 3% more body weight than those who did so at least once a week - probably due to super-size restaurant portions and less-than-healthy dishes, the researchers say.

"Knowing what you eat and controlling the portion sizes is key to any weight-loss diet," says Anne McTiernan, M.D., the senior author of the study and a diet and exercise specialist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, in Seattle.

Strategies such as food journals are "about accountability," McTiernan adds.

Other behaviors in the study that appeared to boost weight loss included consuming fewer calories from fat and carbohydrates and weighing and measuring food portions.

Health.com: Little ways to lose big pounds

None of these findings was especially surprising. Doctors and dietitians have long touted the benefits of regular meals, food journals, and home cooking, but the new study is among the first to look at a wide range of weight-loss strategies and quantify which ones are most effective, McTiernan says.

Why does skipping meals backfire? It's not entirely clear, but research suggests missed meals can lead to snacking and overeating, and may even change the body's metabolism so that calories aren't used as efficiently. Skipping meals also may go hand in hand with other behaviors that can promote weightgain, such as eating on the go.

Although the three healthful habits highlighted in the study might seem straightforward, they may prove harder to follow in the real world than in the somewhat artificial setting of a clinical trial.

Health.com: 5 habits of highly successful dieters

The women in this study were all part of a larger trial looking at the effect of diet and exercise on hormones, and they received weight-loss guidance not always available to women struggling with weight issues on their own. This included meeting with a registered dietician and exercise physiologist and also learning how to read labels and count calories.

As it was, less than 5% of the study participants completed a food journal entry every day for the first six months of the study, as the researchers had asked.

The study findings were published today in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.

Copyright Health Magazine 2011

1. Victor

Women crack me up...so many of them are so snack and food obsessed and then, when you call them on it, they get so offended. Maybe the secret for many women is to act more like men. Whenever I put on a couple of pounds I have no problem taking a look at what changes I have made in my diet and excercise routine and making the proper adjustments and the case is over. I am 43 and have never been overweight and it's not a big deal. Women love to obsessess about things they can easily fix. If they spent a lot more time actually doing and lot less time running their big mouths, they would not always need to be fixated on food. Come on ladies...it's not that tough.

July 13, 2012 at 09:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dragonwife

Women DO lose weight differently than men. My husband can drop 5-10 pounds in a week or so simply by cutting out sodas and one of his daily snacks. However, I can't. I've been trying for 5 years now – have tried keeping a food diary (and being very conscientious about writing everything down), exercise vigorously at least an hour a day, sometimes two hours, almost every day (yoga, strength training and martial arts), rarely eat out (maybe once every couple of months), rarely eat junk food, don't drink soda at all, eat healthy food in sensible portions – and I have not lost ANY weight in 5 years. My doctor says I'm in great health and am doing everythig right diet-and-exercise-wise, so what else would you suggest? Maybe you should do some research (including discovering the facts that everyone is different and that men and women DO metabolize differently) before you tell everyone "it's not that tough".

July 13, 2012 at 10:02 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Victor must be gay!!

July 13, 2012 at 10:05 | Report abuse |
    • Victor Jr.

I tend to agree with Victor. Ever watch "The Doctors", or the Dr. Oz show? The audience...ALL women! Women by nature are hypochondriacs and are always obsessing about weight issues. Hence the topics on these shows are always weight-related. Women are the most gullible creatures on the planet and will believe anything, and the billion dollar diet industry knows this.

July 13, 2012 at 10:41 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

dragonwife – I guess you are just a singular specimen to which the laws of biology and physics dont apply. Coincidentally, you sound just like my ex, who tried to convince me that she couldnt lose weight by burning more calories than she consumed (turned out that the problem was the the snack cakes she would sneak late at night).

July 13, 2012 at 11:08 | Report abuse |
    • GBfromOhio

dragonwife, it's virtually impossible for anyone who is overweight who is doing what you claim to be doing to NOT lose weight. My caveat is if you are not getting enough sleep and / or are under a lot of stress (like being stressed out about being overweight lol, kind a a catch 22) then your body produces cortisol which will negate a lot of your positive actions. Maybe some relaxation techniques added to your daily routine and once a month go on a all liquid, cleansing diet will help rid you of those last few unwanted pounds. YOU MUST AVOID SIMPLE CARBOHYDATES ... to really have a chance to lose the weight.

July 13, 2012 at 11:22 | Report abuse |
    • jim

Victor,

You have a fundamental ignorance about the physical differnces between men and women. Women cannot physically lose weight as quickly or as efficiently as men do in the vast majority of cases (due to physiological differences). But, you are correct about the kibbitzing though, women will spend forever complaining about something and never doing anything about it that is productive.

Yes, sweeping generalization but it does fit most women. Just like men have faults, so do women.

July 13, 2012 at 11:32 | Report abuse |
    • Kathie

You are a jerk- I pity your wife if you have one

July 13, 2012 at 13:03 | Report abuse |
    • Kristin

Dragonwife- Are you overweight? If not, you are probably in a maintenance phase. Some people...MOST people HAVE to exercise and eat right to maintain a normal weight. If you are overweight, then you are probably underestimating your calories. You can eat all healthy food and still be overweight if you eat too much. Also, yoga, martial arts? These might me intermittently vigorous, but they aren't big calorie burners overall. Try running or spin class.

July 13, 2012 at 13:06 | Report abuse |
    • Victor

Hey Kathie and Chris...those are pretty strong statements – calling me "gay" and "a jerk" for simply passing along an observation, seconded, I may add by Victor Jr. and Jim – that many (not all) but many, women spend far too much time yacking about weight loss and obsessing over food is a valid point.. I mean, can you tell me with a straight face that 99% of daytime talk shows, tabloid mags, diets, weight watchers, are not geared towards women? You can throw out all the ad hominem attacks you want, but that isn't going to make it true that women obsess about food rather than just taking care of bueinsess and keeping their mouth's shut.

July 13, 2012 at 13:52 | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

I'm with you Victor. You can cite physiological differences all you'd like but at the end of it all, it boils down to calories in vs calories out. Simple math... some just choose to listen to the numbers.

July 13, 2012 at 15:03 | Report abuse |
    • arile

hey victor, you don't have a wife/gf do you?

July 13, 2012 at 15:33 | Report abuse |
    • wow!

talk about sweeping generalizations! women by nature are hypochondriacs? statements like these make me think that you all probably don't know many women, just saying...

July 13, 2012 at 18:39 | Report abuse |
    • Unions United

Work Union for a Better America

STOP the Obama-Pelosi War against Medical Marijuana Patients –

Support UFCW Local 770

Move to Schedule 2 now – thank you.

July 13, 2012 at 19:48 | Report abuse |
    • Shaun

Maybe the problem is that we (men) do not love our women enough.

July 13, 2012 at 22:42 | Report abuse |
    • Delmar Knudson

All the media, much of our conversation focuses on women's looks, and being slim is a part of it. Women do not shed weight as easily as men, and they become inebriated on less alcohol than men. Admittedly most of the talk shows for women cover unimportant twaddle, and obsess on weight, and what cosmetics to use, and go over relationships ad nauseam. These shows are as silly as the sports shows for men that spend interminable hours obsessing on the various sports drafts, the pay each athlete gets, how their last urine checked out, whether and where one can obtain a Honus Wagner baseball card, etc. People waste immense amounts of time on this sort of trivia, when the world and universe are filled with marvels and useful information, and humor.

July 14, 2012 at 02:27 | Report abuse |
    • vo

Thanks Victor, I needed that. Each work day I and several female coworkers talk about loosing weight, while we continuously fill our bodies with junk food and lack of exercise. We have become constant talkers and not doers. When someone tries to correct us, as you're doing, they are quickly shot down. Women need to eat less, stress less, and exercise more. If your life is out of order, then get it back in order. It's too hard you say. Nothing worth having is easy. Come on ladies, it's time for us to grow up and stop making excuses.

July 14, 2012 at 08:49 | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy

Victor, if you've never been overweight, how does your opinion matter to overweight people? In fact your comment is essentially devoid of any value. This comment also offers nothing to the conversation except to point out what a waste of space yours is, and possibly you are a waste of space as well! At least I know my comment isn't helping the discussion. I'd imagine you actually believe your input is helpful.

July 14, 2012 at 10:09 | Report abuse |
    • LisaG

Victor, you need to walk a mile in another's shoes before you have the right to make such a judgment.

July 14, 2012 at 10:51 | Report abuse |
    • Ally

Victor,

In one aspect I agree with you. If someone is overweight they need to either accept it or change it. I have many friends, mostly women, who complain and complain but never do anything about it. But it is actually tougher for a woman to lose weight than a man. Our bodies are just a little different.

That being said, I think women just talk about it more because we're more social about those things and society and the media are a little tougher on overweight women than men. And the only time it's "easy" to lose weight is when you only have a couple of pounds to lose. It's the people who wait until they're 30 + pounds overweight who struggle.

July 15, 2012 at 10:50 | Report abuse |
    • theobc

Victor old boy, you sound like a man who has spent a great deal of time alone or maybe you are the man who has made some woman very unhappy if you are in a long term relationship. truth is woman and men are different for a reason, who wants to be with someone who is identical to yourself, where is the challenge and excitement in that. men like yourself see everything in black and white, this why women cheat on you, because any man they meet is more exciting and fun than the old fuddy duddy they have at home obsessing over why a women can't lose a few pounds. women are different in other ways too since they are more forgiving of a man when he gains a few pounds, when his hairline receeds, when his muscle tone isn't so toned anymore, and especially when what used to be every nite turns to every now and then or can't quite last like it used to or just ceases to come to attention at all. you don't sound like someone most women would not want to spend time with, unless you have a lot of money, then you would attract a certain kind of woman, but then your personality wouldn't be what she was attracted to anyway.

July 15, 2012 at 15:22 | Report abuse |
    • hot sturgeon

I eat my wife pu_ssy every other day and she stay skinny.

July 15, 2012 at 19:50 | Report abuse |
    • mommistakes

Are you single? Just a feeling ...

July 15, 2012 at 21:15 | Report abuse |
    • CLara

I kind of agree with Victor... it is much harder for women to lose weight compared to men.. BUT i cant stand it when people are trying to lose weight, they continue to eat junk, they know it, and yet they continue to complain about why they are not losing weight. its definitely something that you have to stick to and be strict about if you want results. Just dont eat crap workout and stay on top of it and you will see results its not rocket science

July 15, 2012 at 23:32 | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Victor is awesome! He should be the Surgeon General AND chief architect of the nation's health care reform legislation. it's a simple message, don't put so much food in your mouth and walk a little more. Differences between men and women? Yep, sounds like my ex as well. "No, Frank you don't understand MY body has an EXTREME reaction to food". Ha ha ha, I have a Taiwanese girlfriend now, and I never hear that kind of crazy blathering anymore. It's heaven.

July 16, 2012 at 10:23 | Report abuse |
    • BD

I love all the comments suggesting Victor is gay or single, just because men see through most women's BS doesn't mean we're stupid enough to say anything other than: "You look great, as always, honey."

That said; Women, if you don't think we notice when you down a pack of Smarties before bed and then tell us we're not getting lucky because you have to be up early to spin/yoga/cardio-boxer-barr-pilladisize, then you're dumber then you regularly tell us we are.

-signed: Men

July 16, 2012 at 12:43 | Report abuse |
    • Jon

It is very simple: Exercise! Real exercise. Not just walking the neighboohood listening to your Ipod. I mean real sweatting cardio. If you do it you will loose wieght. It is when you stop becasue you don't feel like going on that cause you to not lose weight. Stop complaining and whining everyone and just exercise seriusly it will work.

July 16, 2012 at 15:54 | Report abuse |
    • Poor, poor Victor

Hmm, perhaps your mommy didn't give you enough hugs, or your daddy told you real men are autobots. Either way, honey, join the 21st century.Speaking in that way about any group of people is beyond ridiculous. But, it's okay, you can get some help to become whole. Yes, I'm a woman, but I'll try not to obsess about your limitations.

July 16, 2012 at 22:37 | Report abuse |
  2. Axes

Victor?
    You know nothing.

July 13, 2012 at 09:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Scott

Great! A picture of a woman with a huge Croissant which has about 600 cal. in an article about dieting.

July 13, 2012 at 10:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mel

Yes, but she's writing it down so she'll know to each a light lunch and dinner. 😛

July 13, 2012 at 12:32 | Report abuse |
    • BD

I laughed at that too.

Simple but sad reality; if you eat croissants, even rarely, then you are not going to lose weight. Those things are a heart attack in pastry form.

July 16, 2012 at 12:46 | Report abuse |
  4. Axes

Victor Jr?
    Your daddy knows nothing and you know even less.
    And, Scott, scattouttahere!

July 13, 2012 at 10:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. GBfromOhio

So what is she writing in her diary "I'm about to eat a big glob of surgary, refined carbohydrates"? Not sure if the photo is sarcasm, commentary, or simple ignorance.

July 13, 2012 at 11:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • justathought

GBfromOhio, it would be weird of the croissant was sugary. Refined carb? Yes. Sugary? No. Of course, she's not fat, so she can probably afford to eat it. And, why cut out delicious buttery croissants? The French eat them. They're not fat. It's not a croissant every now and then that makes someone fat.

July 13, 2012 at 11:19 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Your comment doesnt make sense. Which part of "keep a food diary" says that you cannot eat a croissant?? Im no expert, but I think the whole purpose of a food diary is to keep track of what you eat, with a goal of limiting and eliminating mindless eating, not to limit your intake to celery. ......but dont let commen sense get in the way of being snarky.

July 13, 2012 at 11:21 | Report abuse |
    • GBfromOhio

The point is refined, simple carbohydrates are about the worst thing you can consume. I've been studying health and nutrition for almost 40 years, everyone is amazed at how good I look for my age and how healthy I am ... I suggest you guys learn more about the topic of nutrition.

July 13, 2012 at 11:25 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Youve been studying health and nutrition for 40 years, but have apparently still not grasped the point of a good diary?? I know plenty about nutrition, thank you very much – and I am not amazed at how good you look, or how healthy you are (conceded much??).

July 13, 2012 at 11:42 | Report abuse |
    • OMGMe

The word is spelled "conceited" not "conceded". Two entirely different meanings, by the way.

July 13, 2012 at 11:55 | Report abuse |
    • GBfromOhio

What in my post leads you to believe I'm against someone keeping a diary? You missed the point, which may be the story of your life. And no, I am not "conceited" (I assume that is what you meant) I just want people who are trying to lose weight to understand simply carbohydrates are something they should try to eliminate or at least minimize in their diet.

July 13, 2012 at 11:58 | Report abuse |
    • Ally

GBfromOhio, I get that you were being flippant that this article is picturing a very high calorie food. But they can easily be incorporated into a healthy diet. As you said yourself, you need to enjoy those worthless calories on a limited basis. I'm in the middle of a weight loss plan myself. I can still have my decedent french fries, just not every week. And when I do, the other foods I eat that day balance out the calories/fat.

July 15, 2012 at 10:55 | Report abuse |
    • Terrils

There is no such thing as a "refined" carbohydrate. The carbohydrate is a molecule, not a food. It comes in complex and simple forms, that's all. it doesn't come in "white" and it doesn't come in "refined." If you're talking about a processed bread product lacking in fiber, stop calling it a carbohydrate. Fruits and vegetables are composed primarily of simple and complex carbohydrates. The carbohydrate molecule is not your enemy. You'd be dead without it. Let's get some science in here and stop reading fad diet books.

July 16, 2012 at 18:04 | Report abuse |
  6. brandy007

To Dragonwife – couldn't agree more.....everyone is different! Sounds like you've been doing everything right, how frustrating. If your doctor okays it you might try adding some weight training to your exercise routine? Building up muscle mass may kick your metabolism into higher gear. I'm not a doctor or anything....have just found that my weight is easiest to control when I'm including even light weights into my exercises. Pilates reformer classes have also been awesome, though they can get pretty pricey. Anyway best of luck to you and try not to get frustrated by men (or women!) who think we're all built exactly the same.

July 13, 2012 at 11:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mel

I completely agree, for a long while I was keeping a food diary and getting aerobic activity every day, but I didn't lose significant weight until I started doing exercises that build muscle. It is extremely important, imo, for people who want to lose significant weight to also build muscle while exercising.

July 13, 2012 at 12:35 | Report abuse |
    • dragonwife

I have been doing weight training as well – two days a week I do yoga, two I do strength training (with weights), two martial arts, and three – four days, cardio also. And by the way, to Kristin (above) – there are different types of yoga and martial arts. The type of yoga I do is combined with pilates, and we calculated (with monitors) in one yoga class we burn close to 300 calories. The martial arts is vigorous enough to leave us dripping with sweat after each class, so I'm definitely getting enough cardio. My doctor still isn't sure why I can't lose – I'm very honest about the amount of calories I eat (we figured it averaged about 1600 – 1800, not excessive by any means) and I don't eat large portions. He's considering doing a metabolic study next, because I have some anomalies – slow heartbeat and VERY slow respiration rate (my normal respiration rate is between 4 and 6, which to anyone with medical knowledge will be horrifying, but it's normal for me). It just gets so frustrating to be constantly told that either a) I'm lying about what I eat; b) I'm lying about exercising; or c) I'm just fat and lazy and whiny.

July 13, 2012 at 14:05 | Report abuse |
    • Ally

Dragonwife, are you sure you're eating enough!?

1600 – 1800 calories is pretty low. And if you're burning that many calories a week you may be underfeeding your body. And that causes your metabolism to go wonky. It will hold on to every last pound it can. I'm on Weight Watchers and it's something I see all the time. Someone complaining that they are skimping on their points and don't even use their extra points or activity points for food and still can't lose. They just start eating and BAM, off come the pounds.

July 15, 2012 at 11:01 | Report abuse |
    • BD

We're aren't all built the same, that said; the laws of chemistry and physics don't alter themselves for a particular individual. Yes that even applies to weight loss, if a person is being honest with themselves about their level of calorie consumption and activity then the rest is just calculation. It might varry over a short period but after a few weeks its close enough as to be no different.

Unless of course you're suggesting that you've somehow evolved the ability to more efficiently covert food to energy/stored energy than other people. In which case I know a couple of biological researchers that could use a project that would guarentee them a grant.....

July 16, 2012 at 12:54 | Report abuse |
  7. pepette

Coming from someone who has gained and lost the same 50+ lbs. four times during her lifetime, I am an expert at what gets the weight off and what puts the lbs on. Journals are good for the 1st week. Counting calories just drive you nuts eventually, so dont go there. Eat three meals – all with high protein content-I don't eat meat, so this is a challenge but doable since there are so many tasty soy products in the vegetarian section nowdays. 2 large eggs everyday – faithfully. Protein keeps you full longer. Treat carbs like an addictive drug – either quit cold turkey or wean yourself off quickly. Most important, WALK – 1 hr when you wake up and 1 hr before bed. Whenever I strayed from this and slid back into a carb based, sedentary lifestyle, the weight came back on -like a bad nightmare. It is a constant struggle, and it comes down to making the right or wrong choices, and then living with them.

July 13, 2012 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • GBfromOhio

Excellent advice, only thing I'd change is if you are in a position (and it's typically an excuse if you think you can't) to divide your total caloric intake into say five roughly even meals that might help fire your metabolism a bit more.

July 13, 2012 at 11:35 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

I am pretty sure that it is IMPOSSIBLE to gain and lose "the same 50+ lbs" even twice (unless you engaged in some truly disgusting practices...).

July 13, 2012 at 11:45 | Report abuse |
    • GBfromOhio

From the guy who accused ME of being snarky ... lol how hypocritical can one person be?

July 13, 2012 at 12:02 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Hey GB – Im pretty sure pepette was not seeking your approval of, or modification to, her comment. No one likes a wanna-be know-it-all.

July 13, 2012 at 13:47 | Report abuse |
    • NUMBNUT

Bob, please stop micro-analyzing everything.

July 13, 2012 at 16:00 | Report abuse |
    • pepette

I've got the stretch marks, sagging skin, and bad back to prove it. Unfortunately for me, eating healthy and maintaining a set normal weight has been difficult – time consuming, more expensive, and not as enjoyable than say buying cheap high calorie processed food at the grocery stores and fast food places. Binge eaters don't binge on a dozen eggs or a bag of frozen vegetables – we go for the bad stuff – a pint of Ben and Jerry's followed by a bag of chips washed down with a 1/2 liter of Coke. Do this a couple of times a week for six months and presto you are 50 lbs heavier. If I could rule the world, I would outlaw all fast food drive thru, cut grocery stores in half by only selling healthy affordable foods, adding protein to all processed foods, and putting sidewalks on every street. I am accountable for the choices I have made, but the food industry needs to be accountable too – as well as city planners/developers who make our communities to be too dependent on cars. It really does take a village to prevent/combat the obesity epidemic. And if you are one of the lucky ones who can pass up a plate of brownies or can eat anything without gaining, why are you wasting your time reading this article and leaving negative comments?

July 15, 2012 at 15:36 | Report abuse |
    • BoddaGetta

If you gained back the 50lbs you lost, then it wasn't a viable diet. A diet should help you lose weight and then maintain it indefinitely. The Atkins diet is what you're describing, and some "nutritionists" might back its viability, but biochemists and PhD nutritionists do not see it as a viable diet to maintain weight on. You can use it to initially lose weight, but shouldn't do it for a while. The process of breaking carbs down to fuel glycolysis and ATP production [ATP is the basic macromolecule that fuels your body, all cells use it in some process] is simpler to do with carbs. Protein molecules have to go through more of a process. Also, you probably did not exercise. Trying to exercise on a low carb diet is like trying to shove a square peg in a circle. It doesn't work, and you get exhausted easily.

The only people who should ever be on a low carb diet permanently are people that benefit from ketosis [no insulin production because of lack of product to convert into it], which is Type II diabetes. Hypothyroid or Hashimoto Syndrome sufferers also benefit somewhat.

Choosing the right carbohydrates is better than none at all. And you can cheaply obtain fresh vegetables and whole grains if you put just a tad of effort into shopping around.

July 15, 2012 at 16:28 | Report abuse |
    • pepette

Let me add I am also a firm believer in fiber along with protein. I am all for eating fruits and vegetables and making smart choices. I would never encourage people to eat meat. People who overeat tend to go for the bad carbs – white bread, white sugar, white rice, pasta, white potato – if you omit these from your diet, you will have a fighting chance to lose weight. Brown rice, whole wheat bread with double fiber, whole wheat pasta -all are good for you in moderation. You must get in the habit of checking out the protein and fiber content on labels at the grocery store. Silk's Almondmilk with 9 grams of protein, Nature Valley Chewy Peanut & Dark Chocolate Chewy Protein Bars (10 grams protein), Morningstar Soy Meal Starters, Lightlife's Backyard Grill'n Soy Burgers (20 grams protein), protein smoothie packets all have made a big difference in my life. If anyone else has favorite products that work for you, give them a shout out now. We need to help each other – never, never give up .

July 16, 2012 at 14:44 | Report abuse |
  8. Union Workers Against Hypocrites

Work Union for a Better America

STOP the Obama and Pelosi War against Medical Marijuana Patients –

Support UFCW Local 770

Move to Schedule 2 – thank you.

July 13, 2012 at 11:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Mel

I agree with some of the posters here that it is more difficult for women to lose weight because of physiology, but I also suspect we women don't often do the right kind of exercise to lose significant weight. Women (at least those I know) tend to gravitate toward exercise activities that are fun (eg. aerobics) and stay away from weight lifting because they're afraid they'll get creepy female body builiding muscles. I think if women in general were more informed about how weight training can help you lose weight and get toned without making you look less feminine, we'd see fewer ladies complaining about weight loss plateaus. Just mho.

July 13, 2012 at 12:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ehhh

Even with weight training, the fact is that women don't have the same amount of muscle mass (and cannot without steroids) as men have. Therefore, they will have a lower metabolism. I strength train, and do not disagree that it is essential for a well-balanced workout program, but women do not get the amount of benefit out of it that men do. You are right that many women have the misconception that they will gain too much muscle mass, and that will never happen without literally trying to bulk up. But the fact of the matter is that strength training for women will only boost metabolism by maybe 50/calories per day, which means would account for only about 1 pound of weightloss in a 2 and a half month span.

July 13, 2012 at 12:49 | Report abuse |
    • noone

I don't know if I'd blame all of women's weight loss woes on not having a good balance between cardio and weight training. But I do agree, I see a lot of voluntary segregation at the gym. The guys seem to do nothing but bench presses and bicep curls, and the girls never leave the cardio area except maybe to do a few reps with light weight on the leg machines.. I think it's a good idea to have more balance in your work out. So, here's my totally unsolicited and probably unwanted advice for having a more balanced workout.

Girls:

Do more resistance (weight) training. You won't "bulk up" like a body builder, I promise.

Do more upper body exercises. Your muscles aren't only in your legs. I don't think there is even 1 woman at my gym who does bench or dumb bell presses. Do pull ups, bench/dumb bell presses, push ups, bicep curls, etc. STOP IGNORING YOUR UPPER BODY!

Use heavier weights. I hate when I see a woman "weight training" with so little weight that she is expending almost no effort to move it. If you can do more than 15 reps, THE WEIGHT IS TOO LIGHT.

Walking will get you no where. While walking is a great exercise if you can do it for 3-4 hours per day, walking for 45 minutes on your lunch break will barely burn you 100 calories. If you aren't breaking a sweat, you're doing your cardio wrong. IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE HARD.

Guys (and you though you were off the hook):

Do some cardio, not all weight training, please.

Stop ignoring your lower body! If you can bench more than you can squat, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

Stop swinging/jerking your weights. If you have to do that THEY'RE TOO HEAVY, use lighter ones. You're not impressing anyone.

July 14, 2012 at 10:46 | Report abuse |
    • Terrils

Calorie reduction is dramatically more effective for weight loss than exercise. That doesn't mean exercise isn't a good idea – it's necessary for strength and flexibility and overall health. But your average person wanting to lose some fat has a choice of exercising three hours a day (not going to happen in real life) or cutting calories (not easy, but way more possible, as it takes no time or money) to see significant weight loss.

July 16, 2012 at 18:07 | Report abuse |
  10. Ehhh

Different people do metabolize food differently.

I am 5'5" and got up to 175 pounds, I spent about 2 years of watching what I ate, keeping a journal of everything. Not even keeping junk food in the house so I wouldn't even be tempted to snack, kept food journals and kept my daily calorie intake to between 1400 and 1500 calories, I worked out 3 times a week, and walked to work, etc. I was eating the way every doctor told me I should have. I should have been losing weight, but it did not budge.

Then I changed my diet. Cut out processed food almost completely, no dairy, cut carbs and cut my meat consumption to only a couple times per week. My diet mostly consists of fruit, vegetables, nuts, and occasionally meat. I eat more calories than I used to eat 1600-1700, and dare I say my exercise habits even slacked a little. But since changing my diet nine months ago I have lost 45 pounds and I am down to 130. I have to say, once I got used to eating this way (it took about two weeks, and about a month in I had absolutely no cravings for dairy and rarely for meat, carbs and processed stuff) it has been super easy to lose the weight. Because I am eating more, I feel full and have more energy.

The downside is that I make less than $30k/year and I spend a lot more on food than I did a year ago. Gone are the days of 50 cent pasta dinners. I figure my meals average much closer to the $3-5 range, and my snacks of fresh fruit are expensive too.

July 13, 2012 at 12:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • maxine

good for you but I am roughly your size now and still feel very overweight.
      So, it really is all in the eye of the beholder.

July 13, 2012 at 14:01 | Report abuse |
    • ES

There is a lot of truth to that. Every summer I visit my family in a "developing country". There are no processed foods there and no corn syrup. I eat more there, I don't excercise, though I have to walk everywhere, and lose about 1lb a week. While in the US I watch everything I eat, I excercise 4 times a week, I count calories just not to gain weight. What you eat matters.

July 13, 2012 at 14:14 | Report abuse |
    • ambi

maxine...5.5 and 130 is not fat...you may want to see someone.(not trying to be funny either)

July 13, 2012 at 14:39 | Report abuse |
    • Ehhh

130 is smack in the middle of the healthy range for someone that is 5'5'. My body fat percentage is hovering right between 19 and 20%, I do work out a few times a week and do strength training at the gym in addition to cardio, so maybe that is part of it. I figure I could lose 10 more pounds, but much more than that I would start to enter the unhealthy category.

July 13, 2012 at 16:08 | Report abuse |
    • noone

Maxine: 130 at 5' 5" is not over weight at all!

July 14, 2012 at 10:52 | Report abuse |
    • Terrils

Are you still keeping the diary? Because I'd be willing to bet you aren't, and that you're guessing about your calories. Reducing the fuel you take in to less than you need, period, is how you lose weight.

July 16, 2012 at 18:09 | Report abuse |
  11. scienceiscool

"Why does skipping meals backfire? It's not entirely clear, but research suggests missed meals can lead to snacking and overeating, and may even change the body's metabolism so that calories aren't used as efficiently."

The latter part of this statement is not accurate because if skipping a meal "may change the body's metabolism so that calories aren't used efficiently", that would mean that the conversion of nutrients to energy is not efficient, thus energy would be wasted in the form of heat (just like what happens in brown adipose tissue to generate thermogenesis), and you would LOSE energy and thus lose weight, not gain it.

July 13, 2012 at 13:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jen

You would think, but some people's bodies go into, "starvation mode" because they are used to getting more calories and they aren't there. It's weird.

July 13, 2012 at 16:10 | Report abuse |
  12. Heywood

How about if everyone faces reality and cuts to the chase. As someone who has fought weight my entire life, I can give you the real secret that you have heard on every diet. Eat to live dont live to eat. Why eat 3 meals a day, becuse its 9 12 and 6? eat when your hungry and before and after each meal, 2 glasses of water, must. dont just eat because the clock tells you. And yes, portion control, but drinking the water helps.

You do not have to diet, you just need to eat like a human being. cut out fried foods, all, and cheese, all, dont eat after 8 at night, drink so much water that people will think you have a bladder problem. You will be down 20 lbs in less then a month. Guarentee.

July 13, 2012 at 13:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. maxine

losing weight is difficult after 40, that is for sure.
    It is depressing. I try hard to watch what I eat and exercise evry day. Still fat though.
    I have to face facts that I will never be slim again

July 13, 2012 at 13:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Heywood

maxine
      you rey what i said above and you will see results. no fried no cheese. lots and lots of water, throw some lemon in it for a treat. you will see results

July 13, 2012 at 14:14 | Report abuse |
    • Terrils

Barring medical problems, you could be if you dedicated yourself to it. It is hard, no doubt. But it can be done.

July 16, 2012 at 18:10 | Report abuse |
  14. chloe

For me, I just think that weight loss need some dicipline.You can;t just talk about it without taking action:)

Chloe
    Publisher, http://homeremediesforgoutt.com

July 13, 2012 at 15:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ilayda

Dear Diane,Thank you for thinking of me. My bday is atulalcy august 30th.How are you? How are things?I am now working with Diane and TAALK and getting ready to start a San Diego chapter. In short, duplicating the work I did in Iceland.Take good care,Love,Svava

September 11, 2012 at 05:53 | Report abuse |
  15. Anna

There is a very successful program called Overeaters Anonymous that is based on this very principle. The 301 program says 3 meals a day, nothing inbetween one day at a time. You weigh and measure all of your food and journal everything you eat. I have lost 110 pounds working this program and kept it off.

July 13, 2012 at 15:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Jen

Victor,
    Has it every occured to you that our societies view of beautiful is for women to be thin and if you are not a stick, then you are not beautiful. It isn't everyones view, but it is what we are sold in the media. I wish it was just as easy to drop the weight but you are also forgetting women have periods ONCE A MONTH which creates a huge hormone shift in their bodies making losing weight nearly impossible due to the bloat. If you could experience this once a month, I think you would have a different view. Think before you speak.

July 13, 2012 at 16:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RHYSDee

Oldest excuse on earth for not losing weight. I'm convinced the "bloating" is caused by McDonald's, not menstruation. Ask a thin woman.

July 13, 2012 at 16:55 | Report abuse |
    • maxine

jen this is absolutely true.

I don't even look at myself in the mirror b/c I know I will HATE what I see.
      If I do not look like jen aniston, I might as well be roseanne barr. NO gray areas.

July 13, 2012 at 18:12 | Report abuse |
    • noone

Healthy is beautiful. Personally, I don't find the starving model look very attractive. I like when women have curves. Contrary to what the media tells you, you're supposed to have some stores of fat on your body. On the other hand though, if you can't run up 2 stories of stairs without gasping for breath, that's not very hot either.

July 14, 2012 at 11:03 | Report abuse |
  17. Todd

Get rid of all processed foods; eat only natural, real foods. Live primally. Lose all the weight you want. Very simple. Look up Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution or marksdailyapple.com for how to change your lifestyle.

July 13, 2012 at 16:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Axes

Y
    a
    w
    n
    yawn

July 13, 2012 at 16:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Unions United Now

Work Union for a Better America

STOP the Obama-Pelosi War against Medical Marijuana Patients –

Support UFCW Local 770

Move to Schedule 2 – thank you.

July 13, 2012 at 19:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Ralph

Being from another continent and one that has experienced both cultures (Western world & underdeveloped), I believe the problem in the western world is with some certain foods (mostly in the USA) which falls on the FDA. Keep in mind, there are so much food in this country that it can feed the world for 5years or so. The catch is, there are so many processed and unhealthy foods. In developing countries, their many open market sell foods straight off the farm, fresh meat and fish plus the poultry animals are not pumped up with hormones. There, people do not watch their portions, they simply eat when they are hungry. They also do not have Soda with every meal or when thirsty because Soda is a luxury that they dont have often. There are barely any gyms to go work out, most of their work out is done by walking and playing sports (even for adults), playing outside instead of video games. One important thing to also mention is that people are not obsessed with the way they look. They care about their health but not obsessed! When they are not worried about this characteristic, they tend to have minimal stress level which contributes to obesity.
    I have to say, the lifestyle here is different however. Some people are too busy working trying to pay up debts (incurred by trying to live up to social standard), too tired to cook at home, fast food chain at every corner, minimal or no exercise. It is hard to eat healthy in the western world because it is expensive. In my opinion, healthy foods should be the affordable one with the unhealthy one being more expensive to accomodate these lifestyles. This is a great country, we need to save lives not by pumping billions of dollars into healthcare after the damage is done. Why not pump those billions of dollars into growing healthy foods, so we can feed us and our children things that are good for our body.

July 13, 2012 at 20:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. c s

Lately I have seen in the news, a study done on mice where there food was only allowed during an 8 hour period. A control group of mice were allowed to eat any time they wanted but were restricted to eating the same amount of food as the time restricted mice. The time restricted mice did not get fat or develop other health problems. The group of mice with no time restriction gained weight and developed other health problems.

I knew a guy at work who was slim and fit. He rode his bike every day to work; through the heat of summer and the snow of winter. What struck me most unusual about him was that he always ate a huge lunch. I would see him carrying a food tray with what looked like enough food for two or three people. I would guess that he was about 5'10" and weighted about 130 to 140 pounds. One day I sat down at his table and we began to talk. I asked him how he could eat so much food and not get fat. He told me that he only ate one meal a day and that was lunch at work. At the time this struck me as a really strange thing and I soon forgot it. After reading about the mice and the time restricted diet, his actions makes more sense.

July 13, 2012 at 21:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • readysteadylove

I think it works for some people but not all. In my family, my mother, myself, and her side of the family all eat one meal a day (but we eat a TON during our one meal, which is dinner). We're ALL lean, healthy and no known heart disease, metabolic disease or cancer on her side of the family. My brother, father and his side of the family all eat three times a day and with the exception of my uncle, are all overweight – my grandfather died young (50's) from cancer and my grandmother, her sisters and mother (now deceased) have all suffered from multiple heart attacks, a few have diabetes.

From observing my family, my husband tries to eat one meal a day but he struggles so much because he gets hungry before me and I feel bad so I cook him something healthy so he won't feel bad about eating. He's not overweight so no, I'm not trying to sabotage any of his diet goals with food. He just wants to change his eating habits because he thinks it must be healthier in some way. I tell him he doesn't need to change his habits though – he is perfect just the way he is!

July 13, 2012 at 22:27 | Report abuse |
  22. Delmar Knudson

readysteadylove: Enjoyed your comment. You did not sound arrogant, or include the misinformation, disinformation, rumor and generally jumbled thinking in so many of the articles. You seem to have some wisdom combined with empathy.

July 14, 2012 at 02:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. jessica

How about simply getting on all natural weight loss chewing gum Tonify? It works wonderful for us.......

July 14, 2012 at 08:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. The Silver Nail

I think obsessing over calories (ohmigod, is it 100 calories or 105???), obsessing over writing everything down, and forcing yourself to eat a meal just because someone tells you to is B.S. People need to learn to recognize when they are truly, physically hungry and eat then. Eat healthily and enough to be satisfied but not so much that you're stuffed, and don't eat because you're bored or lonely or just out of habit. I know it sounds easier than it is but I've learned. Everybody tells me to eat breakfast but I'm not hungry in the morning. I eat when I am hungry and stop when I've had enough. I've also recently given up fake no-sugar and no-fat foods because they weren't satisfying. Now I eat what I really want but less of it is satisfying, and I've lost 12 pounds in the last 7 weeks, and I'm a woman over 50. Realize that if you eat because you're bored, when you're done you'll still be lonely but you'll be heavier, too.

July 14, 2012 at 10:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. chronickelly

Victor Jr.:
    You're actually criticizing women for being weight obsessed in this society? Do you live in a bubble? From some of these posts, it's pretty clear many men have no idea how many times in a day a woman is confronted with an image of what she's "supposed to look like".

July 14, 2012 at 11:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Delmar Knudson

My brother lost considerable weight on his diet. He just eats a lot of foods he doesn't really like (several of these foods are supposed to be good for you).

July 14, 2012 at 11:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Josivan

Hi it's me again i would like to say people think that texas is a deesrt like place (it was over 100 though this summer) but we have houses and malls, although i wish they would leave some green. we do have a lot of horses and animals down here (in fact WE have 2 horses) but we are NOT a hick state. there are amazing dance places such as the tapestry here so take into consideration my comment above this one!

September 13, 2012 at 23:15 | Report abuse |
  27. priority75

Women are Aliens anyway. Anything that bleeds for a week and doesn't die cant be human!

July 14, 2012 at 13:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Logic rules

The very first paragraph of this piece is what's wrong with weight loss in America. How is cutting back on restaurants and fast food any easier than simply counting calories? The backbone of the American diet is fast food and cheap prepared foods. I suspect that it would be a lot harder for someone to give those up than it would be for them to simply count calories.

July 14, 2012 at 14:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Unions for Schedule 2

Work Union for a Better America

STOP the Obama-Pelosi War against Medical Marijuana Patients –

Support UFCW Local 770

Move to Schedule 2 – thank you.

July 14, 2012 at 15:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Oxide in MD

Grains make you fat, not calories.
    Stop eating wheat, corn, and other grains. No "whole grains," no "multigrains," no "moderation" stuff. Grains. Gone. Done.
    All your carbs should come from veggies. And only veggies. (that means no sugar either)
    Fill in those calories with more meat and butter. Dairy should be minimal, if that.
    Yes, this will make about 85% of the grocery store off limits.
    After a couple weeks, your body will get used to this and you'll easily lose a lot of fat even if you don't life a finger.

See marksdailyapple.com for why this actually works, and many many Success Stories of ordinary folks it worked for.

July 14, 2012 at 18:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Primal 4 Life

The above comment its 100% correct. It works and it works for everyone who gives it an honest run. Grains are not meant for consumption, period. I do not miss them at all.

In just 9 weeks I lost 40 pounds, and was able to leave my medications in the dust. I was 220 and now I am 180. I had a BP of 180 over 120, which is way too high. It is now 120 over 80 with no pharmaceutical assistance. I also never get heartburn anymore so buh bye Prilosec.

I frequently visit Mark's Daily Apple for the fantastic information that can be had there. One need not spend a dime on Mark to get the benefits. I do recommend his book though, it is outstanding.

Grok On!

July 16, 2012 at 11:49 | Report abuse |
  31. American Youth

I realize this article is based on a study observing women, but don't we agree AMERICA is overweight? Men, women, and children? Old and young? Privileged and impoverished? How did this message board get so female offensive and defensive? This issue affects everyone. Even those who are in great shape have loved ones with weight and fitness struggles. In a country with endless choices, it is very easy to make the wrong ones when it comes to our health.

And Victor, "running their big mouths"? Who are you, Archie Bunker? The tone of your post is extremely misogynistic and out dated. Congrats on scoring a responsive metabolism in the lottery of life, but why do you see yourself above everyone else? You have two misspelled words in your post!

July 15, 2012 at 01:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. staceymarvin

I get so many sample stuff for free its awesome. Actually it is not difficult to find them just search online for "Official Samples" It is the best way!

July 15, 2012 at 04:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Aleksandr

yes, exercise cuploed with good nutrition can really jump-start a weight loss program and help you to reach your goals more quickly. a good natural weight-loss supplement makes it even quicker and easier.

August 2, 2012 at 00:56 | Report abuse |
  33. Captain Hindsight

Key # 1: Reduce the size of your plate by 30%.

July 15, 2012 at 12:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Oxide in MD

Sort oif, Reduce the part of the plate that has the carbs on itt, and weight will drop off.
      I lost 5 pounds in two months doing this, Yes it was only 5 pounds, but it was the LAST five pounds. Women know what I mean by the LAST five pounds. Yes, you'll lose weight on Weight Watchers and exercise, but you will not lose the LAST five pounds, or even the last 10 pounds.

And here's the kicker - I don't exercise, AT ALL. I sat on my butt. But I stopped eating wheat corn rice quinoa sugar and white potatoes, and ate a litte more meat and fat. And I still lost the LAST five pounds.

July 16, 2012 at 07:52 | Report abuse |
    • Primal 4 Life

What Oxide is doing is the Primal Blueprint or Paleo Solution. Welcome to the lifestyle Oxide, it's awesome!

July 16, 2012 at 11:42 | Report abuse |
  34. nutritionistics

Often people don't know how many calories they should eat, and some of the calculators available are too restrictive, which can also hinder weight loss because the body doesn't get what it needs to perform all of its functions. One of the best ways to keep the metabolism running and preventing extreme hunger (which can lead to over eating later) is to eat every 4-5 hours. Finding a plan, like carbohydrate counting (not low carb) can also be beneficial in easily balancing your meals without having to track every morsel of food.

July 15, 2012 at 13:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Bart Luijten

On the following website there is an overview of 35 possible solutions to prevent overweight (http://shar.es/tjHQy).

This information is provided by mainly vistors of the website and the resultsorder is based of the amount of shared information per subject.
    From now on we can influence our public health and not only depending on doctors.

July 15, 2012 at 17:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. James the elder

Here's the truth about dieting.
    if (caloriesExpended > caloriesConsumed)
    weightLoss = true;
    else
    weightLoss = false;

July 16, 2012 at 09:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Terrils

It's a biological fact, and the last big study of all diets found that they all had calorie reduction in common (duh), but people are just bound and determined that there's a magic bullet that will make weight loss easy. Charlatans have been preying on such people for decades. Learn how many calories you need to get through your day (it varies for everyone, and it varies per day, depending on your activity), then cut that a bit. Stick with it. The weight will come off.

July 16, 2012 at 18:17 | Report abuse |
  37. Stacey

Plain and simple, if you have excess weight it's because you eat excess food and don't move enough. Our bodies are designed to keep moving; not sit at computers debating why people may be fat, so move away from the computer, do a load of laundry and go for a walk around the block. Eliminate processed food from your diet, this includes cereals, pastas, and breads, and drink plain water only–not flavored. If you consume animal products, eat those things sparingly and make sure they're free from hormones and antibiotics. Get quality sleep. Exercising will help you sleep like a baby. Showering before bed is also conducive to sleep. Drinking a cup of water about a half hour to an hour before bed will also help you sleep better. Letting go of all the things you bring into your life that you cannot control will promote a restful sleep. And lastly, a little bit of pampering helps, too. Get a fresh new haircut, a manicure, pedicure, buy yourself a new book or something to keep your hands busy–learn to knit or do some scrapbooking.

July 16, 2012 at 09:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. irunner

I cannot believe all these women who insist Victor must be single or gay. I've been happily married for 33+ years and agree 100% with victor. I have never been overweight, but that does NOT mean I don't know what I'm talking about. You don't have to walk in someone elses shoes to know what you are talking about. I know more about healthy eating, exercise and physiology than most people. Simple physics applies to Venus the same as Mars. Quit sneaking those Hershey's Kisses at work all day!

July 16, 2012 at 10:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Terrils

In actual fact you don't know what you're talking about. Studies have been done showing that a fat person burns fewer calories per hour than a thin person doing the SAME exercise. Aside from the fact that any two people – at all – will have different metabolic rates, either obesity changes people's metabolisms, or some people's metabolisms are simply set so that they become obese. Every body is NOT the same, and if you were as informed as you think you are, you'd know that. That doesn't mean people can't lose weight, but it does mean different approaches work for different people with different metabolisms.

July 16, 2012 at 18:21 | Report abuse |
  39. Primal 4 Life

Or, the superior way, just switch to the Primal Blueprint. You won't be counting calories, you will lose weight without effort. You will feel better than you have in years, you will have much more energy.

July 16, 2012 at 11:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. md22mdrx

While it IS true that women lose differently than men (look at the numbers on the Atkins diets), the basic idea for LONG TERM loss is still the same. You need to burn more than you take in. Period. Plain and simple .... but NOT easy.

July 16, 2012 at 12:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Rendy

For me the hardest part is to keep weight off after loosing it.

July 16, 2012 at 12:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Clyde

Here's an idea! Put down the fork, cookie, or bag of chips! Stop enormous piehole with refined carbs and crap, and get some exercise for bucksake! Crazy, isn't it?!

July 16, 2012 at 14:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Ian Welch

Our Refrigerator was recently convicted of attempted murder. It was only after “he” tried to kill me that I realized the danger we were in. In fact, it was while in the ICU following my quadruple bypass surgery , that I figured it out.

A great first step to start a nutrition makeover is by mentally taking an inventory of the food in your fridge. Open it up and take a panoramic view of its contents. Does it look like a friend or an enemy? Considering that 67% of us will die of a chronic disease associated with malnutrition, the danger is real.

What you stock your refrigerator with is a choice. A choice made long before the food made it home. It is a choice based on thousands of small decisions that confront you daily. Each decision needs to be approached with an overriding master plan. When you select items at the store ask yourself a question: does this belong in my refrigerator. Extend that same question to ordering at restaurants; is this something I would eat at home?

Full Post here: http://wholefed.org/2012/07/16/my-fridge-is-in-rehab-for-attempted-murder/

Ian Welch
    WholeFed

July 16, 2012 at 16:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Anuhs

Ladies,
    Just because your bodies react slightlty different than mens, does not mean that the laws of science do not apply to you. If you stop eating ho-hos and Popeyes and start excercising enough you will lose weight. The argument that it doesn't work is utterly rediculous.

July 16, 2012 at 16:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. http://www.easydietsplus.com

Great! I have been looking for exactly this , thanks for posting, Easy Diets.

July 16, 2012 at 19:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. John

Keeping a food journal is great, not going out to restaurants is as well, but it all boils down to CONSISTENCY. Losing weight or "dieting" is ultimately a journey. It's a lifetime affair with being healthy. Things aren't going to change overnight and they shouldn't. That's just not sustainable.Make changes for life. Support the launch of a website my friends and I are creating that's dedicating to bringing you the FACTS for free and providing you with the support necessary to reach your goals This is a journey.
    We WILL have a calorie counter as well. And it WILL be the best on the market.

Like Us on FB: http://www.facebook.com/LiveYoursFully.

July 17, 2012 at 13:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. davisbiz

When it comes down to it, we all lose weight in the same basic way, energy consumed versus energy expended. The Fat Loss Factor can help educate people on how to lose weight effectively. I also provide a 15$ rebate for the program, just visit my website.

July 18, 2012 at 22:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. deletesoon

To dragonwife: It sounds like you are doing the right things. I have two ideas you may want to consider.

1. Have a consultation with a local holistic nutritionist. They're not as common as regular nutritionists, but they're worth seeking out as they may have useful insights that are tough to get elsewhere. They're common in my area, San Francisco, but if you don't have any local ones, you can work with them by phone.

2. Have a consultation with a local hypnotherapist. Your situation reminds me of a former client. "Jane" (not her real name) was eating right, exercising, etc., but couldn't shed the pounds. In theory, she "should have" been losing weight.

She hired me to help her lose weight through hypnosis. During sessions, we found out that a deep part of her wanted to hold onto the weight, because that part believed if Jane became thin, then "bad" things would happen. The subconscious part sabotaged her weight loss without Jane even knowing it. Whether you have a saboteur or not, a skilled hypnotherapist may be able to help you lose the weight. Good luck!

July 22, 2012 at 22:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Fat burner,Weight Loss,Sleep Aid & Recovery,health products,Supplements,Kryptobcaa,super test kryptonite,Blackout P.M.,Super N.O. Kryptonite,

Thank you for some other informative site. Where else may I am getting that kind of information written in such a perfect way? I've a venture that I'm just now running on, and I've been on the look out for such information.

July 24, 2012 at 22:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Kieran

I also have three simple weight loss strategies that i guarantee will work: eat healthy, exercise, don't be lazy! Come on people, it's not that difficult. Over complicating the problem and buying too much into weight loss "shortcuts" is why America is the fattest country in the world.

July 25, 2012 at 18:47 | Report abuse | Reply