home
RSS
Advocacy group: 26,000 die prematurely without health insurance
June 20th, 2012

Advocacy group: 26,000 die prematurely without health insurance

A national health care consumer advocacy group estimates that three Americans die every hour as a result of not having health insurance.

According to "Dying for Coverage," the latest report by Families USA, 72 Americans die each day, 500 Americans die every week and approximately Americans 2,175 die each month, due to lack of health insurance.

"The Affordable Care Act was passed by Congress to address an American tragedy and an American shame," said Ron Pollack, Executive Director Families USA. "The fact remains that for the millions of Americans without health coverage, only the Affordable Care offers the promise of access to affordable coverage and to a longer and healthier life."

Families USA has been a staunch supporter of President Obama's health care reform law.

The report found that the reasons for being uninsured varied, but many of those without health insurance had coverage denied because of pre-existing conditions.  Others have been priced out of the market on the heels of a failing economy - a time when keeping their homes and feeding their families took precedence over holding on to insurance in the face of rising premiums. And some lost their benefits when employers stopped providing coverage.

According to Families USA between 2005 and 2010, premature deaths rose from 20,350 to 26,100.  The total number during that time was 134,120.  Each state is affected, the organization said. Vermont had the fewest deaths with 28 while California had the most - 3,164, according to this report.

The method used to determine how many lives were lost was based on a model developed by the Institute of Medicine in 2002 for their report "Care without Coverage: Too Little, Too Late."  In that report, the IOM found 18,000 adults between 25 and 64 died in 2000 because they didn't have health insurance.

"For almost 50 million Americans, not having health insurance isn't trivial, or just an inconvenience or a minor budget challenge." Pollack said. "Because of the way we currently provide and charge for health care, many millions of Americans without health coverage are denied regular access to quality care, and many of these people face an unjust sentence of a less healthy life and an earlier death."

Robert Zirkelbach, spokesman for America's Health Insurance Plans, the national trade association that represents the insurance industry said the rising cost of care needs to be addressed.

"Health plans have long supported reforms to give all Americans the peace of mind and financial security that health care coverage provides. The nation must also address the soaring cost of medical care that is adding a financial burden on families and employers and threatening the long-term sustainability of our vital safety net programs."

But Families USA says the current delivery system is stacked against those without insurance. They pay more for care because they can't negotiate discounted prices on doctor and hospital charges like insurance companies can.  As a result they often don't get preventative care and forgo or delay screenings and necessary medical care.

The report further states that in the past 2 years, uninsured women older than 50 were half as likely as insured women to get mammograms.  Low-income uninsured adults were 5 times less likely to get screened for colon cancer in the past 5 years compared to insured adults.  Cancer patients without insurance are five times more likely to delay or even skip treatment because of the cost.

In addition, uninsured adults are more often diagnosed with advanced stage disease and they are 25% more likely to die prematurely than those with private insurance.

"The Affordable Care Act lets us wake up from this terrible health care nightmare of premature death," Pollack said. "Wiping out health reform means the nightmare will continue for all Americans."

Forty year old Regina Holliday says having care is a game changer.  She and her husband Frederick were married for almost 16 years.  During most of that time they had no health insurance even though both worked multiple jobs-most of them part time. They had two small children and paid all their medical bills out of pocket.

“Two adults with 2 children and 6 jobs and we couldn’t afford health insurance between the two of us living in D.C.” Regina said. “We didn’t go to the doctor until we were really, really, really sick-couldn’t get out of bed sick.”

Frederick, a college professor, had a urinary tract stricture – a pre-existing condition and yet another barrier to finding affordable coverage.  “Rent and food was just pretty much all of our money every month so when we looked at policies with pre-existing conditions we couldn’t afford that,” said Regina.

In 2008 she got a fulltime job that paid for health insurance but they could not afford the family coverage so only Regina had health care.  Soon thereafter Fred found a full time job teaching. For the first time in years the entire family had coverage. It was around that time that Frederick began to get sick.

He was always tired, lost weight, was in pain. After numerous tests and scans Frederick was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney cancer. It had metastasized to his stomach, bones, and lungs. He died several months later at the age of 39.

“I believe that if my husband had consistent health care during his adult life he would still be alive today,” Regina told CNN. “Today, I’m a member of Kaiser Permanente and I see how true preventative care works-annual physicals, paying attention to medical records, charting how you’re doing year to year. If anyone had ever done that for my husband there’s a very good chance he’d be alive today.”

Pollack says if the Affordable Health Care Act stays intact and goes into effect fully in 2014, millions of American will be eligible for help covering costs and insurance companies will no longer be able to deny coverage to those with pre-existing conditions or charge them higher premiums.

1. Richard

Almost 10 times the deaths on 9/11 ! We started trillion dollar wars to protect the Homeland from another attack, have a bloated military spending hundreds of billions a year and people are dying here because they cannot get proper heathcare. On top of it all, the American right wants to end any efforts to provide government funded healthcare to our citizens preferring even more military spending.
    What a Mess!

June 20, 2012 at 07:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • DrGMG

Very well said, here in TX those who need it the most are the most critical of "Obama care", I don't get it...

June 20, 2012 at 10:45 | Report abuse |
    • babooph

Great post -I'm jealous!

June 20, 2012 at 11:36 | Report abuse |
    • StevenR

GOP = MURDERERS

June 20, 2012 at 11:43 | Report abuse |
    • jon

Absolutely correct. We just keep funding the industrial-military complex to the tune of trillions, but if we were to try in any way to help our citizens with this healthcare debacle, it is considered SOCIALISM. Who cares? At least with this so-called "socialism" the PEOPLE get something rather than just corporations. Get real Americans – wake up and smell the coffee.
      What a bunch of lemmings we are!

June 20, 2012 at 11:46 | Report abuse |
    • smitvict

Instead of wasting nearly a trillion dollars on "stimulus", think of the good that money could have done if democrats would have put it towards health care of the uninsured. Instead, it was wasted. How sad.

June 20, 2012 at 12:04 | Report abuse |
    • bigot

"We started trillion dollar wars to protect the Homeland from another attack,"

if you think this is the only reason, you are naive about our government and its motives.

June 20, 2012 at 13:17 | Report abuse |
    • Tony

Illegals noticibly absent since they get their care for free. And we spend tens of billions on them each and every year.

June 20, 2012 at 14:30 | Report abuse |
    • Lauren

Agree so much! Finally, some common sense!

June 20, 2012 at 17:12 | Report abuse |
    • Tony

And those of us who have insurance die of sticker shock after being in need of medical service. Spent 5 days in the
      hospital and then find out that I owe the family physician in excess of $500 because the insurance doesn't pay for
      them to visit me in the room while I'm there.............come on!!!!!!

June 20, 2012 at 19:14 | Report abuse |
    • Layla

Very well said.

June 20, 2012 at 20:46 | Report abuse |
    • Blayze Kohime

I was going to try to make a meaninful post, but I don't think I can outdo this one.

June 20, 2012 at 23:31 | Report abuse |
  2. The blame game

So they can't afford $10 for an aspirin or $150 for the Doc to stick his head in the door and say "You're doin' fine"? Let's put the blame where it belongs.

June 20, 2012 at 08:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ConA

Preventive care can save money. Sometimes the doctor will say-that mole is cancerous but I can remove it and you will be cured. You are pre-diabetic and not overweight, but taking this medication will keep you from getting full-blown diabetes. Your blood pressure is high, here is a med that will protect you from kidney disease and a stroke. So what is your point?

June 20, 2012 at 08:17 | Report abuse |
    • dianawelsh

No Blamegame, not everyone CAN afford $10 for a medication or $150 for a doctor. $150 may mean not paying your electric bill one month. $10 can mean your kids don't eat for a day or two. And aspirin for the record, isn't a miracle cure. When you're talking prescriptions, unless you're lucky and they're on the $4 list at walmart, you're talking more like $30-$200 dollars. AND you have to have the prescription first, which means going to the doctor. I lived without insurance for 3 years, with severe asthma. If you're lucky when you have a crisis the ER will give you a 30 day script for meds you need. But what do you do the rest of the time? You wait as your breathing gets worse and worse until you end up in the ER again.

June 20, 2012 at 08:27 | Report abuse |
    • dianawelsh

Last month, even now that I have medicaid, I couldn't get to my Doctor's appointment because I didn't have transportation. My ride got sick, and my pulmonologist isn't on the bus route. I only had $60 to feed four people for the week, so I couldn't afford the $15 each direction cab ride to get there. Feeding four people including a teenage boy is difficult on $60 a week, impossible on $30. Luckily, he called in the scripts I needed for the month, and I rescheduled for the end of this month. These are choices those of us who are poor live with. Food has to come before health care, so does taking care of our kids.

June 20, 2012 at 08:32 | Report abuse |
    • Lynda Elaine

$150 for an office visit? Where do you live? I live in Oregon where the cost of healthcare is astronomical. I work for a small company (5 people), no insurance and make $14 an hour. I live within my means but don't have any extra money. To walk into the Legacy clinic where I live costs me $276 each and every time. The other clinic, OHSU, isn't taking cash patients. I finally found a program in WA (50 miles away) where I can get basic health care for a flat $75 a month. The 'medicaid' program in Oregon would cost me $600 a month in premiums. That is 1/3 of my take home pay. Project Access in Porltand OR, a supposedly free clinic offering care to uninsured and underinsured people, doesn't accept patients my county. I can spit and hit Portland OR.

I make too much to qualify for Oregon assistance. What a joke. My taxes pay for this medicaid and I can't use it.

But guess what? I was just diagnosed with stage two melanoma.It will require in hospital surgery to remove AND it will probably turn out to be worse than stage 2.

Instead of spending the past week getting medical attention I have spent the past week trying to FIND medical attention. I may actually die of this because I don't have insurance. That is criminal in this country.

The new Obama care also won't apply to me, just like it won't apply for millions of others. The same ones falling through the cracks today will also fall through the same cracks when this goes into effect.

Until there is a real reform – as in remove the insurance companies altogether and have universal healthcare like very other 1st world country – people like me will continue to be denied medical care.

The blame belongs on the insurance companies running the healthcare industry to tune of billions in profits AND the politicians turning it all into a political game. Until this changes, our healthcare system will continue to be the worst in the world.

June 20, 2012 at 10:34 | Report abuse |
    • dianawelsh

By the way: for the record, the meds that keep me stable, not improving, not great, but stable cost $431 a month for generic. So you're $10 aspirin (which is WAY too much for aspirin, that I get for $4 for about a 6 month supply) is unrealistic. And that's just for COPD/Asthma. There are other conditions that cost a lot more than that a month. So unless you're going to deal with *real* numbers, I'd say your opinion doesn't mean a whole lot. Try using facts.

June 20, 2012 at 10:53 | Report abuse |
    • hypatia

pathetic troll!

June 20, 2012 at 11:07 | Report abuse |
    • StevenR

No. I put the blame on the GOP. They are murderers. Check the law. Allowing someone to die through inaction is MANSLAUGHTER. If it is an intentional act, IT IS MURDER. If it is premeditated, it is FIRST DEGREE. The GOP should be in the dock for 26,000 counts of MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE.

This is the ONLY TIME I advocate the DEATH PENALTY!

June 20, 2012 at 11:48 | Report abuse |
    • Claire

That's what happened to my husband when he ws in the hospital on an emergency visit....doc was called over to check something, then he said it was not his speciality, and he was billed. $10 aspirin was what is billed out to patient not what we can buy OTC. The medical system for an industrialized country is horrendous. I have a friend who says that we have the best health care in the world, HOWEVER, she has great insurance. As they say, follow the money, and if you do not have money, your health is compromised, PERIOD. The insurance companies and the politicans are in bed with each other, and the rest of us can rot...BOTTOMLINE BOTTOMLINE GREED GREED and more GREED. As I tell my fellow boomers, they have to thin the herd, they can not afford us.

June 20, 2012 at 12:05 | Report abuse |
    • The_Mick

No, it's more like they can't afford blood pressure or other medication or the tests to know its getting worse or if they even have it. Note that my PCP added a Vitamin D test to my blood tests and the lab messed up my ID for that test alone so BCBS paid for the rest of the test but declined that part. I got a bill in the mail from the lab for $256. A 60 second phone call cleared it up, and when I got my Explanation Of Benefits statement from BCBS I saw where they paid $13 in-full for it! Looking back at the entire blood test, the charges were around $700 total and BCBS paid about $100 total – and I have no copay for blood tests. BCBS's payment was accepted as in-full by the lab. Some of the individual charges listed on the EOB were paid $0 and BCBS marked "charge is a duplicate of another charge." So if you don't have insurance you also get hammered by paying a much higher rate – and even charged double for some things in a way you wouldn't detect it on your own! The $256 I'd have had to pay without insurance is TWENTY times the $13 BCBS paid! How's that for a markup?

June 20, 2012 at 12:12 | Report abuse |
    • onceacpa

Aren't you the brightest...You have it all figured out... In your little world, all ailments only cost $10 to cure and you shouldn't be able to see a doctor if you can't afford it... Naive at best.
      Hate to burst your bubble but there are many provisions of the health care bill that at least three major health insurance companies said they will begin to cover regardless of whether the Obama bill passes. They Will because they say the bills provisions are Good Public Policy. The bill is Good Public Policy. Imagine that. ........

June 20, 2012 at 13:02 | Report abuse |
  3. us_1776

Universal healthcare is the only answer.

Healthcare should be a basic right. All citizens should be covered. No citizen should be without healthcare coverage for any reason.

Greed has ruined healthcare in America.

Our for-profit system of providing healthcare is the worst model in the world.

June 20, 2012 at 08:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RickB_GA

While I have no confidence in Families USA or CNN as unbiased sources of information, I do agree with the need for univesal health care. My position is Medicare for all, including government employees, unions and Congress. Having increased contributions from so many more people could put the program out of harms way financially, would Federally regulate the pricing of healthcare providers and would do away with the state to state variations of Medicaid. Medicare fraud should be considered treason since it steals from the taxpayers and penalities for Medicare fraud should be so severe, it would never be worth the effort.

June 20, 2012 at 09:02 | Report abuse |
    • Susan

Short, succinct and 100% correct. Thank you.

June 20, 2012 at 10:03 | Report abuse |
    • christine

us_1776: you are correct! It is a travesty that people in the United States of America are DYING because they are poor. Every other industrialized country in the world can offer health care to every citizen, except us.

Now that we are on the verge of having affordable health care available, our Supreme Court is going to vote it down based on nothing except politics. Very, very sad.

But we know how the Tea Party feels about this – "let 'em die" is their view.

June 20, 2012 at 10:07 | Report abuse |
    • Doug Lynn

You are a dangerously naive fool. Government medical care rationing will kill 10 to 20 times more people. Just look at the UK where 130,000 die prematurely every year. Our politicians are certaining no more moral than those in the UK.

June 20, 2012 at 10:10 | Report abuse |
    • Susan

Doug Lynn – My boss is from the UK. His mother was denied heart surgery because she was over age 80, and to save on costs, only medications are allowed for those over 80 with her condition. I can live much more readily with the type of rationing where an 86-year-old doesn't get heart surgery than that where a 39-year-old father dies of cancer.

June 20, 2012 at 11:32 | Report abuse |
    • babooph

The lobby bribes will never allow universal healthcare-the crooked ins & pharma industry bleeds massive funds from the public& overseas boiler rooms pay % of what is denied on our ins claims to the "examiners"-The" news" is assigned to confuse the suckers.

June 20, 2012 at 11:46 | Report abuse |
    • StevenR

DougLynn:

RATIONING? This is HOARDING. Rationing is better than HOARDING any day. And take the HEALTH INSURANCE companies out of the picture and standardize what is covered and you take ABOUT 30% OF THE COST OUT OF HEALTH CARE. 20% for the insurance companies and 10% for the costs to the providers to deal with the insurance companies.

DEATH PANELS? Every insurance company is a DEATH PANEL right now!

June 20, 2012 at 11:51 | Report abuse |
    • Steve

RickB_GA, the mere thought of everyone on Medicare makes all medical providers quake in their boots. They won't be able to afford their 500,000 gallon fish tanks in the lobby and their lavish lifestyles if they have to get reimbursed for all patients at Medicare levels. A lot of providers now limit the number of people they can accept in their practice just because of that fact. That brings us to the main root of the problem, the cost of medical care. people blame the insurance companies who are merely a financing mechanism for the high cost of medical care. That's like blaming your auto financing company because you can't afford a Lexus. We spend so much more not because we are higher utilizers than other countries, because it costs that much more for that servise. MRI in Germany $300, MRI here $2400? Let's get to the real problem!

June 20, 2012 at 11:53 | Report abuse |
    • Claire

with emphasis on CITIZEN....illegals should not be given something that is denied to citizens, period.

June 20, 2012 at 12:10 | Report abuse |
    • Tim

Health care is not a *right*. For something to be a right, one needs to be able to exercise it without forcibly taking the life, limb, liberty or property of others. Universal health insurance fails that test. It's not a basic human right.

Having said that, I agree that it is a public good which an affluent and compassionate society should strive to provide for all its citizens. But it is not a *right*.

June 20, 2012 at 13:37 | Report abuse |
    • Moxa

@Tim how do you explain Social Security and medicare then?

June 20, 2012 at 16:28 | Report abuse |
    • really

Doug Lynn- How do you explain that the life expectancy is higher in the UK than it is here in the US?

June 20, 2012 at 16:54 | Report abuse |
    • Wrenn_NYC

@ Moxa. Read up on the history of it.

Medicare was an attempt at universal healthcare, at it's beginning. It succeeded because 1) people (at the time) had enough compassion about their elders, or perhaps just did not want to have to shoulder all the costs of their parents medical costs in their declining years and 2) insurance companies did not want to insure a pool of people – elderly – because it would not have made them profits like they wanted, and could make on able bodied working younger people. It was meant to be a 'start' with a goal to universal health care, but that didn't happen, mostly thanks to the AMA and the insurance industry.

June 21, 2012 at 11:23 | Report abuse |
  4. ConA

Health insurers are governed by shareholders-even the nonprofit ones which pretend to be nonprofit but control for-profit companies with shareholders. Greed rules and they care more about their shareholders than subscribers. They price premiums so people who need care cannot afford them and try to get rid of people who actually mey need care, in favor of young and healthy people. So it is an evil system for people who have preexisting conditions. CEOs make millions while people who need insurance can't afford it. I don't know how insurance execs sleep at night without feeling bad about themselves.

June 20, 2012 at 08:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RickB_GA

Yes ConA, Health insurers are for profit companies as are hospitals, nursing homes, home health providers, doctors and virtually any other healtcare providers. Not to mention the companies which manufacture durable medical equipment, medical technology and on and on. As a result the 401K retirement plans in which many people participate stay healthy. Making a return on one's investment is not greed! We need to stop blaming preexisting conditions, many of which are a result of our own selfish lifestyle choices, on our neighbors and the insurance companies. But we do need to try and get help for those who do suffer. Of course, if we ever do get Universal Health Care, then we could blame it for all our "preexisting" problems, after all, it is the Democratic way.

June 20, 2012 at 09:15 | Report abuse |
    • StevenR

Rick – the insurance company shill:
      Insurance companies are the POISON in our health care system. They take about 30% (if you include the doctor-side costs) and PROVIDE NO HEALTH CARE. What do they bring to the health care equation? COST and NOTHING BUT COST. NO ADVANTAGES WHATSOEVER.

And they ARE the DEATH PANELS that everyone hates.

You MUST be a health insurance company shill. NOBODY with a BRAIN is on their side!

June 20, 2012 at 11:54 | Report abuse |
    • ConA

To RickB_GA:
      Not ALL preexisting conditions are peoples' fault–and YOU might think you take care of yourself could still have a stroke, get diabetes, get a thyroid problem, need a hip replacement, get melanoma. I have a preexisting condition –I had hip replacements when I was 27 because of a congenital hip problem. How is that my fault? Why should I have listen to people like you who don't want to help people-even when it is not our fault and I am socked with a premium of $532.64/month with a $5,000 deductible all because I had to have hip replacements 20 years ago.....remember, it could happen to you. I would put money in the system for your healthcare, even though I think you are probably a selfish person.

June 20, 2012 at 16:49 | Report abuse |
    • Layla

To: Rick G BA,

Not all pre-existing conditions are "people's fault."

Example: A family member was diagnosed with a brain tumor when he was in high school which left him with cognitive problems. Once he was an adult and had to get his own health insurance, there wasn't a company that would insure him. Due to his cognitive difficulties from the tumor (no short term memory, challenges with problem solving) he could only get a job as a dishwasher, which is not a job where they give good health insurance. Needless to say, he died in his early 50's.

Another example: A friend's son had testicular cancer as an infant; thus I am not sure what he did to cause his illness as well. If the Affordable Health Care act is overturned, he will never be able to quality for good insurance.

Think about the young boy who played Darth Vader in commercials. He just had heart surgery. Thus, he has a pre-existing condition. What will happen to him when he has to qualify for his own health care. If the Affordable Care Act is overturned, he will only have 'The Force' to help protect him, as his pre-existing condition will limit his insurability.

In closing, as we listen to Mitt Romney say that insurance companies should be able to discriminate against those with pre-existing conditions, think about the large population of children with signiciant health issues in hospitals right now. They will never be able to qualify for adequate medical insurance if they reach adulthood.

June 20, 2012 at 21:07 | Report abuse |
  5. Doctor e

The capitalistic model does not work for healthcare. Some things for the greater good should not be subject to greed or political expediency. Having said this, universal healthcare should not be an excuse to abrogate one's responsibility to live a moderate, healthy life.
    And any epidemiologist will tell you that in the event of a breakout of a plague, the weak and poor will overwhelm the resources of a healthcare system, then kill the caregivers. Healthcare for all is a national security issue that desperately needs framing in that context.

A healthy workforce means increased productivity and higher birth rates, which reinforces impetus to growth of an economy.

There should be no debate from any side of the political fence about healthcare.

June 20, 2012 at 08:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Doug Lynn

You are correct that the capitalist model does not work, but the government model is much, much worse. Just look at the UK.

June 20, 2012 at 10:12 | Report abuse |
    • Lynda Elaine

Yes Doug. Look at it. Canadian, UK and Australian healthcare works and everyone gets treatment. You are listening to the CNN and Republican propoganda machine. Go and talk to someone from any of those countries and you will hear a far different story. They can't believe the healthcare system and the cost in this country. They consider it to be barbaric. And it is.

June 20, 2012 at 10:39 | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous

It's funny how Americans are so quick to comment about the failing healthcare systems in other developed countries. I spent about five years as a working resident of Germany. I had to go to the doctor about 5 times, one time was serious and required medication and an ultrasound. I never once paid a penny out of pocket for any services. I did have to pay a small premium every month however. The premium was about $75.00 (USD) at that time, which was about 40 something Euros. There were no waits like people say, the doctors were excellent, and the medications were without cost. Just as an FYI, I now work in the U.S. again. My health insurance here is over $300 per month for my wife and myself, and this is a company sponsored plan (I also work for an insurance company and we have "good" insurance). It still costs money to see the doctor on top of these premiums, a lot as well, and medications are horrendous. My wife's birth control was even $75.00 per month with insurance. I used to buy it at Costco without insurance for less. This system here is absolutely crazy and I feel bad that so many Republicans are brainwashed to think that we have the best healthcare system due to capitalism and choice. Absolute nonsense. Call it socialism, or communism, or whatever you may want to call it, but I don't care. I prefer that to this any day.

June 20, 2012 at 13:38 | Report abuse |
    • Wrenn_NYC

@ Doug Lynn

Go visit the UK. Or Canada, you can drive there if you want. Talk to some of their citizens. Then perhaps this misconception that the NHS is bad will leave you.

June 21, 2012 at 09:56 | Report abuse |
  6. SonNeil

Instead of spending money on a study, I don't understand why Families USA doesn't start a fund/healthplan to cover all these sick people. Seems like a perfect opportunity if they really cared.

June 20, 2012 at 09:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • christine

Do you really think the cost of one study is the same amount it would cost to provide healthcare insurance to all uninsured Americans?

June 20, 2012 at 10:37 | Report abuse |
    • SonNeil

No, but that is why I mentioned starting a fund/plan. Then other advocacy groups and like-minded people, such as yourself possibly, could contribute to the fund/plan and the healthcare for others and not force the costs on all Americans. Sort of like the old adage of putting your money where your mouth is. Then we'll see if hose who are so willing to spend everyone else's money care enough as they claim to put forth their own capital.

June 20, 2012 at 11:04 | Report abuse |
    • StevenR

SonNeil:

I have a better idea. Tax capital gains at 50% and proved health care to EVERYONE. THEN the small businesses can start because they are not constrained by health care.

The GOP is such a bunch of shills for the Health Insurance Industry, it makes me SICK.

Good thing I have insurance.

June 20, 2012 at 11:57 | Report abuse |
    • Steve

SonNeil – Right on! How often I see or hear these people blowing off about helping but never actually doing anything. What does Families USA do to help provide anything but a sounding board against this industry. Are they opening clinics, are they forming a health plan, are they partnering with doctors to provide affordable care?

June 20, 2012 at 12:00 | Report abuse |
    • Wrenn_NYC

Like that is so easy to do?

Again. research the ins and out of what you propose before you dismissivly spout off. Please.

June 21, 2012 at 09:57 | Report abuse |
  7. chefdugan

I still say that all I want is the same health care that our elected representatives and government workers get. If they are supposed to be "servants of the people" how come they have better health care than their "masters"?

June 20, 2012 at 09:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Serious Person

Now if I came into Walmart and said to you, I buy my groceries here, so I am your "master", you would rightfully be offended. After all, Walmart PAYS you to do WORK...it's not free and just because I shop at Walmart, that does not make me your "master". Public workers work for their paycheck and benefits, it's NOT given to them. As a biologist for 15 years with the state, with a required master's degree making less than $48K your remarks are simply an ignorant over-generalization.

June 20, 2012 at 14:18 | Report abuse |
  8. bibleverse1

Profiting from healthcare is not evil. Prioritizing profit over the care is evil.

June 20, 2012 at 09:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Nurse143

people have their head in the sand if they think we aren't already paying healthcare costs for the indigent. A simplle same-day surg-ease center performed my uncomplicated lithotripsy recently and billed for >25,000 dollars – probably to cover the costs of procedures for those without insurance.

June 20, 2012 at 09:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lynda Elaine

I am uninsured. But I am not indigent. I work for a 5 person company. The cost of group insurance is out of our reach. The cost of individual insurance is out of MY reach in Oregon. White, female and 51 puts my premium at around $600 and I have preexisitng. That is 1/3 of my take home pay. Don't paint us all with the same brush.

June 20, 2012 at 10:41 | Report abuse |
    • D

For a so-called "nurse" you are really ignorant. Do you know how many people fall between the cracks???

June 20, 2012 at 13:15 | Report abuse |
    • Wrenn_NYC

ANd people are being idiotic to think that people without health care can just get it at the local emergency room. Go and read up on EMTALA. All emergency rooms are required to do is stabilize the patient. And the definition of that is quite variable.

And any emergency room care you get is not 'free' You will be billed for it. And if you don't pay, it will wreck your credit.

It is getting very annoying this repeated error that 'people without health care can get it for free' refrain. I often wonder that the people who spout it use it to calm their own conscience.

June 21, 2012 at 12:05 | Report abuse |
  10. Karl

My wife and I saw this happen to a couple that we'd known for forty years. They both worked full-time in Los Angeles for a company that did not provide health benefits–she worked in their office as a secretary; he worked in their print shop. Their combined salaries just covered their rent and food–there was nothing left for "extras." She died at age 61 from breast cancer–by the time she went to the County hospital her tumor was large and obvious to the lay person–the dr. said it looked like something from a 3rd world country. He died last year at 64 from a pulmonary embolism.

I will always support universal health care coverage–our country is better than this.

June 20, 2012 at 09:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • D

It is tragic that there is a "magic age" where one is deemed worthy of health care. If he had hung on just one more year, he would have been covered. Very, very sad.

June 20, 2012 at 13:17 | Report abuse |
    • Wrenn_NYC

The problem also, D, is that many people in the late 50s and early 60s put off care if they don't have insurance. So when they turn the 'magic age' they finally go, and there is a significant number that are far worse than they would have been if they had been on maintenance meds and the like. This causes a spike in Medicare costs for the first few years at the very least for that program.

June 21, 2012 at 10:01 | Report abuse |
  11. email4kh

The coup de grace of the GOP health "plan" is to allow US ERs to deny treatment based on ability to pay.
    As far as conservatives are concerned, when people without health insurance are dead, the problem is solved.

June 20, 2012 at 09:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • hypatia

That's what the bags and thugs want: dead serfs.

June 20, 2012 at 11:12 | Report abuse |
  12. civitas

Nonsense statistics provided by an activist group with an agenda. How many people die in hospitals each year even with coverage? How many people die each year because of auto accidents? How many people die each year because of their own unsafe activities? There are also surveys that show that more people die from unhealthy habits, such as smoking, than die because they don't have health coverage. By the way, anybody can walk into any emergency room and receive treatment; it's just more expensive than having health insurance, but there is no lack of access. We are trying to solve the wrong problem by creating unlimited universal coverage.

June 20, 2012 at 09:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • email4kh

You're right. We already have universal healthcare delivered by the most expensive route available. Universal coverage and routing patients to the appropriate level of care (take two aspirin and call your doctor in the morning) would be less expensive.

June 20, 2012 at 09:47 | Report abuse |
    • dianawelsh

Civitas, you are living with your head in the sand. You can't manage a chronic condition that can be terminal, like diabetes or asthma through ER visits. Yes, you can get stabalized in a crisis, but you can't manage it day to day that way effectively. Because I went without insurance for 3 years (wasn't offered where I worked, and denied personal pay due to pre-existing condition) my asthma has resulted in permenant lung damage and my diagnosis is changed to COPD. Now I'm disabled and get medicaid. I have to wonder if I'd had health insurance and chronic care, if I would not have had pneumonia 3 times and bronchitis 4 times in one year and spent 2 months out of the year admitted to the hospital. Now, I can't work even though I'd rather be working. Now I'm relying on disability and medicaid instead of able to better my family and pay our own way. This is what 'relying on the ER for health care' has done. Thanks a lot.

June 20, 2012 at 09:54 | Report abuse |
    • Julie Cochrane

I almost died last December, because in November when I started getting terrible heartburn and back pain I didn't go see a doctor and didn't go see a doctor because I didn't have health insurance and I'm poor. By the time the pain was so bad my own extreme pain tolerance couldn't handle it, and I was throwing up and crying with the pain, and called 911, my gall bladder was inflamed and my blood pressure was, by the time they got me in the E.R., over 200 and still climbing to 220 and they were feeding me nitro under my tongue and still couldn't get it down, but were able to stabilize it enough to get me into the OR before I had a heart attack or a stroke and died on the spot. Luckily. Yeah, see, I almost died because I couldn't afford to go to the doctor and by the time I called the ambulance it was almost too late. And now I can't pay the medical bills and may have to declare bankruptcy to get away from the collection agencies who don't understand that no job and no money (which I told the ambulance, doctors, and hospital up front at the time) means I *can't* pay them–much as I keep trying to remedy those situations so I'll become able to. But at least I'm not dead. It was a close call.

June 20, 2012 at 10:18 | Report abuse |
    • hypatia

here's to hoping you experience being dunned by insurers and enjoy the results for yourself.

June 20, 2012 at 11:11 | Report abuse |
    • D

I would like you to apply for individual insurance if any of your numbers is even ONE POINT outside the "accepted" range. You will get denied. Some of us have a LONG WAY to go before we qualify for Medicare, you know.

June 20, 2012 at 13:20 | Report abuse |
    • Larry

See the point the study is making is that with access to proper healtcare these people wouldnt have died some of them if theyd had proper healthcare long term may not have been sick to begin with. Your comment is what happens when you react without reading the whole article and have no idea what its like to struggle

June 21, 2012 at 02:35 | Report abuse |
    • Olena

Yes, there are people who will get into accidents and people will die due to bad habits, but there are many premature deaths that could also be prevented if folks only have health insurance. Waiting for a situation to be bad enough to visit the emergency is certainly not recommended as by that time it may be too late. On top of that the person's family may end up with a major bill and the person may still not be saved.

August 1, 2012 at 20:08 | Report abuse |
  13. Jason Glugla

Now. all you good Tea Party folks get out their and fight for the Koch brothers and insurance companies and make sure that 26,000 people continue to die.

June 20, 2012 at 09:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Doug Lynn

The story is probably correct. However, under Obamacare those numbers will likely be 10 to 20 times that many as the government decides that some older people are too expensive to keep alive. Anyone who thinks the government will not help people die that are too expensive treat is a naive fool. A top UK doctor has said NHS kills 130,000 per year. We have more than 5 times the population of the UK. Do we have any reason to believe our politicians will do better?

June 20, 2012 at 10:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dianawelsh

Doug, get off the "death panel' meme already. Insurance companies without the ACA in place stopped paying for thousands of people every year, and denied needed treatments to thousands more. These are people who paid their premiums every month, who just happened to get sick. I'd rather trust the government to do the right thing than an insurance company. At least with universal healthcare everyone would have access to prevenative care and management for chronic conditions.. and hope.

June 20, 2012 at 10:35 | Report abuse |
    • hypatia

Since you are obviously insured, you should get a brain transplant. Yours isn't working.

June 20, 2012 at 11:10 | Report abuse |
    • D

He sounds like he already had a brain transplant-from Sarah Palin.

June 20, 2012 at 13:22 | Report abuse |
    • CB

What orifice did you pull those statistics our of?

June 20, 2012 at 16:37 | Report abuse |
    • Larry

Idiot. The government wouldnt decide who lives and dies thats a lie. Socialized medicine which is how many countries get along just fine works well everyone is covered because wed all pay more for everyday things and when we all pay a small premium its not that expensive. Dont want ins dont pay pay out of pocket see how that goes

June 21, 2012 at 02:38 | Report abuse |
  15. peggy

My younger brother is unemployed and even when he worked, he worked for construction firms that did not offer health insurance. He has chronic medical conditions and can't even get the necessary medications he needs. He is only 51, and I expect he will be one of the ones who die prematurely because he can't even get preventive care.

June 20, 2012 at 10:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Miguel White

Nice try, many of the "26,000" would likely die anyway and it has nothing to do with insurance. It has to do with their lifestyles, choices and genetic inheritance.

News flash for the uninformed, we will all die at some point, only a few of us will live past 80 and fewer will make 100, fewer still will still be cognizant and mobile who do. The best way to deal with the problems that will eventually take us all is to live a healthy lifestyle, exercise, eat in moderation etc.... and don;t start with the "poor folks can't do that" – baloney they just do not make the choice to do so.

June 20, 2012 at 10:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dianawelsh

I have had asthma since I was 15. I never smoked, very rarely drink (like two or three times a year I will have *a* drink), I used to walk 6 miles a day when I could breathe well enough to do so. I can't do much exercise any longer, even walking from the living room to the bathroom takes my breath away now. I don't eat a lot of junk, cook at home. Yes, there's genetics involved. But a 'healthy lifestyle' alone does *nothing* to treat my condition. Asthma rates are rising, in 2010 we accounted for 8.4% of the population. Without treatment asthmatics DIE. Without insurance, asthmatics DIE. With Insurance asthmatics have a MUCH greater chance of living. Also, without insurance, even asthmatics who manage not to die, GET WORSE. And then they end up on disability and you end up paying for them anyway. Doesn't it make more sense to make sure they can get treatment and remain a productive part of society?

June 20, 2012 at 11:06 | Report abuse |
    • hypatia

You have all the compassion and common sense of Attila the Hun.

June 20, 2012 at 11:09 | Report abuse |
    • srini

ever heard of cancer?

June 20, 2012 at 12:03 | Report abuse |
    • D

They have modeled for these things in their study, if you had any reading comprehension, you would have understood that and not made this comment at all. Also, have you taken into account quality of life with treatment vs no treatment. Do you care if people SUFFER with their diseases or not?

June 20, 2012 at 13:25 | Report abuse |
    • really

Right. Tell that to my 15 year old neighbor that has cancer.

June 20, 2012 at 16:57 | Report abuse |
    • Larry

Another idiot who didnt read or get the enitre article i see. These peiople wouldnt have died if theyd had access to proper healthcare moron

June 21, 2012 at 02:39 | Report abuse |
  17. hypatia

When 'healthcare' is a for-profit enterprise run by pharm companies and micro-managed by beancounter insurance con artists, people are going to die. That's not 'healthcare'. It's trickle-down death.

June 20, 2012 at 11:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Patricia

Congress has great benefits. They also trade on inside infomtation, eat great meals everyday and dress very sharply. We will all be dead but at least Congresss is in good shape.

June 20, 2012 at 11:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • D

Contrary to the appearance of some of them.

June 20, 2012 at 13:27 | Report abuse |
  19. middle class

The middle class is the ones suffer the most. We need a universal health insurance, at least for a basic annual check-up.

June 20, 2012 at 11:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. LynnC

I ended up with state insurance because I couldn't afford $1100 a month for COBRA for 2 people anymore. I have chronic, severe headaches that have gotten worse the past 3 years. State insurance will not cover neurologist visits or hospital visits, so when the headaches are severe or I think something more serious might be going on (I'm 50, and incidence of stroke runs high in my family), I just have to bear it and hope it isn't killing me. All I keep thinking is, I guess the government will be happier when I'm dead.

June 20, 2012 at 11:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dianawelsh

What State is this? Because even Florida covers both neurology AND hospital visits. And Florida Medicaid is no where near the best out there. They won't cover the pulmonary therapy the doctor wants me to get, for example, he's tried four times to get it approved. But they do cover my other half's neuro visits, and every hospital visit we've needed.

June 20, 2012 at 12:05 | Report abuse |
    • Steve

And in both of your cases you refer to a government program with limited coverage but yet a lot of folks here think a government program is the way to go. If the government does come up with a socialized program there has to be limits on what is covered and what is not, age limits for treatments, etc due to the costs. Taxes can't pay for everything for everybody, just look at the programs you are on now.

June 20, 2012 at 12:18 | Report abuse |
    • dianawelsh

Steve: Yes, they won't pay for pulmonary therapy, they do however pay for most of my meds every month, the specialist I need, my primary care doctor, and every hospital stay and test I require. That's a LOT better then when I had no insurance, was rationing my inhaler because I couldn't afford to buy new ones or going without, had no doctor monitoring my condition so I was in crises about 4 times more often per year, and had to put off going to the hospital until it was so late I was admitted for several days to a week at a time because I worried about how I was going to pay the bill. I very easily could have died in those three years I did not have insurance. I did do permanent damage to my lungs. It's not perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than going without.

June 20, 2012 at 12:28 | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Thats great that you are now on a program that helps with SOME of your care. My point is that although you have a benefit from a government program, that doesn't make it good for ALL people to have that same government program. Universal coverage for a one size fits all is not the answer. One main reason is there isn't enough tax dollars to cover everyone for everything. If that were to ever happen (socialized health care) there WILL be limits due to money constraints and budgets, the utopia of universal government run health care is a pipe dream. UK, Canada, Germany, they all are struggling with their systems and rationing care in some form. You admit your plan is rationed or limited right now, it is a reality that many people avoid talking about.

June 20, 2012 at 12:48 | Report abuse |
    • dianawelsh

Germany doesn't use "government run health care". They have very regulated insurance companies. And, knowing several people from Germany including a few doctors, it works very very well. Also, even when I had "traditional" health insurance, my care was rationed. They wouldn't pay for certain medications the doctor wanted me on, they wouldn't pay for certain treatments or therapies. Insurance companies 'ration' care all the time. But, if you've ever tried to survive with a chronic (or several chronic) conditions without any health coverage, you'd understand how good having it is. If you'd ever tried to cover $431 dollars a month for medicine, $300 every three months for a specialist, $150-250 every few months for a PCP, plus hospital bills (at least ER visits sometimes several days admittance) 2-6 times a year without health insurance for 3 years, while struggling to work a barely more than minimum wage job and without losing said job for missed time because you couldn't breathe, you would understand. Until then, you live in your own little health care utopia.

June 20, 2012 at 12:55 | Report abuse |
    • D

Steve-so it is 100% okay for insurance companies to deny claims, but "rationed health care" if the government does it? You would be the first person to cry if your taxes were increased one dime to help save someone's life, too. Do you see the hypocrisy? Of course you don't.

June 20, 2012 at 13:31 | Report abuse |
    • Steve

D – Nice try at a dig into my personal character. I serve on a non-profit board for low income and special needs children, donate not only my time but thousands of dollars. I like to choose what I do with my money not have someone else decide what they think it should be for. As far as the denials, there is no way finacially possible to cover everyone for everything, there are limits to ALL plans including government run programs. It is not OK for an insurance company to deny a claim for a "covered service".

June 20, 2012 at 14:20 | Report abuse |
  21. smitvict

I have two friends with HIV that are uninsured. Both receive quality health care through government programs. Both are in good health and have no complaints. Again, both are uninsured. Maybe the people mentioned in the article live in another country or are not bright enough to realize health care is available, without insurance and without Obamacare being rammed down our throats.

June 20, 2012 at 12:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dianawelsh

So you're saying that government run health care is a good thing, right? Therefore you'd support a move to universal healthcare for all, not just your friends with HIV?

June 20, 2012 at 12:15 | Report abuse |
    • D

So, not-bright-enough people deserve to DIE. Got it.

June 20, 2012 at 13:33 | Report abuse |
    • D

The article was about the UNITED STATES. So, no, they weren't in "another country". So ironic, talking about not bright people deserving to die and you can't even read and understand a SIMPLE article.

June 20, 2012 at 13:35 | Report abuse |
  22. Steve

Why all the blame on the insurance industry when most of these posts are related to having a condition and not being able to afford the care. The main problem is THE COST OF MEDICAL CARE! Many people write that they lost their health coverage so they couldn't affortd to go to the doctor or afford treatment but yet blame the cost of insurance as the problem. The cost of insurance is a direct result of the cost of care people. As long as the cost of care continues to sustain a 119% rate of inflation (in my area) the cost of insurance will also rise. Let's work at a solution to keep the cost of care stable and possibly a way to get it lowered, I bet you if Congress didn't get their health plan paid for we might get better solutions. ObamaCare does nothing to control the cost of care or even stop increases in health insurance premiums, it is a way to force people into something they may not want to help many that do need it. It will not make it more affordable, it only provides subsidies to those who might qualify.

June 20, 2012 at 12:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dianawelsh

Yes, the costs of health care are a problem in this country, there's no reason many things should cost as much as they do. But, I don't believe that insurance companies would lower premiums to reasonable levels if costs came down. I don't believe they would stop the practice of rescission if costs came down. I don't believe they'd stop excluding people with pre-existing conditions if costs came down. All insurance companies care about is money, not the people they are paid to insure (and hence care for). It has to include both, lowering costs AND either getting rid of insurance companies or forcing them to do the right thing over profit. Otherwise, it's just more of the same. I'm 42 with copd, a thyroid issue, fibromyalgia and epilepsy, do you honestly think any Insurance company out there is going to voluntarily cover me ever again in my lifetime? My daughter is 9 and has had asthma since she was 8 months old due to RSV damaging her lungs, do you think she will ever be covered as an adult if we go back to pre-ACA?

June 20, 2012 at 12:21 | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Yes I do, I live in Colorado where we already have a guarantee issue plan as well as many ways children can be covered with pre-existing conditions. There are several ways to obtain decent coverage and those were in place prior to ObamaCare. From your posts I gather you would have an insurance company (who pays many more claims than it denies) just spend spend spend until they are insolvent, then what would we have? They have to make a decent profit to cover reserves set up buy state laws otherwise they become bankrupt. Many of the profits you read in the news are only 3% of your health care dollar, the profits look so large because they cover millions of people. If I make $10 a person on 10 million people that adds up to a lot of profit. Do you think a doctor will lower his fees and cover your pre-existing condition? Do you think the government should step in and make the medical field do the right thing and treat people for free or reduced fees? Should the medical field be free to make 40% profits or should they reduce their fees and do the right thing? Do we really need the 5 star hospital that has free cable, internet, built in cabinets, nicer than any hotel I've been in? You and I are paying for that either through your treatments or your health premiums. Look in the staff parking lot and see what the providers are driving, any thought to them taking a pay cut to help out the rest of us?

June 20, 2012 at 12:35 | Report abuse |
    • dianawelsh

You said the state has a program to cover children with pre-existing conditions. Yes, so does mine. But that's not what I asked. I said would she be able to buy insurance as an *adult*? She won't be a child with asthma forever, eventually she'll be an adult with asthma. As I said, it has to be both, medical costs coming down but regulations on insurance companies to make sure people are covered and REMAIN covered when they are sick. No more of this, oh you have cancer, we're going to cut your policy now because you had acne as a teenager. And it would be great if we could get insurance covered separated from employment so people aren't stuck in dead end jobs just to keep health coverage. And no, the amount of my health care dollar through insurance companies that go to profit and 'overhead' (i.e. CEO wagers) are closer to 20-30% than 3%. 3% is closer to the medicare costs that don't go directly to health care.

June 20, 2012 at 12:49 | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Yes Diane, she can get coverage as an adult with Asthma. The plan is available for adults and is health insurance and covers pre-existing conditions. Premiums are subsidized in a few different ways. Colorado has done a great job without the feds shoving ObamaCare at us.

The 3% statistic comes from a PriceWaterhouse Coopers independent and unbiased analysis called Factors Fueling Rising Healthcare Costs, I'm not sure where you are getting your stats from but perhaps you could lead me to those so I could read up on them. Another good read for you might be the Milliman Medical Index showing the cost of healthcare. This would address your other post above about the health insurance utopia comment. Health insurance premiums are a direct result of health care costs, until we curb unsustainable inflation in medcial care none of your concerns of costs will be fixed. Premiums will continue to soar, you will still not be able to go without insurance because providers are too expensive, the main profits in this industry, the providers and pharma, will not be curbed.

June 20, 2012 at 13:20 | Report abuse |
    • dianawelsh

Must be nice to be able to live in Colorodo then. I can't the climate itself would kill me. Florida doesn't have anything like that, never has. They did have a pre-existing condition high rate insurance, but they haven't opened enrollment since the 1990's. And they've been winnowing down those who were enrolled since before then from what I understand. So if you got in early and weren't rescinded, you were ok, otherwise, forget it. Since the ACA has started, new high risk pools have opened up, medicaid was made more accessible for adults with chronic conditions, there's been better coverage for adults and children (because lifetime caps were removed). Personally I would prefer Universal Healthcare, with costs regulated to reasonable levels and without 'insurance' companies at all. But, the ACA is better than without. And I definitely don't feel it's been shoved down anyone's 'throat'. I wish the President and the Democrats had stuck to their guns rather than trying to compromise with people who just laughed and moved the line in the sand further away. But it's a step in the right direction at least.

June 20, 2012 at 13:27 | Report abuse |
    • dianawelsh

Since the ACA provision kicked in requiring insurance companies to spend 80-85% of their premiums on health care, Insurance companies have been complaining that it will cut into their profits (even though they've been making record profits while raising premiums for years). That belies the 3% being profits meme you are posting. If going to 20-25% being spent on healthcare is *decreasing* their profit, obviously the rate of profit they were bringing in used to be greater.

June 20, 2012 at 13:39 | Report abuse |
    • D

What is WITH the "shoving down the throat" Republican meme anyway? Can you not get some original verbiage? In California, there is a waiting list at least six months long to get into the high risk pool, and the premiums are not exactly cheap either. I am sure some people die before they can get covered. You have the wrong picture if you think what Colorado is doing can be replicated in large, diverse states.

June 20, 2012 at 13:41 | Report abuse |
    • ConA

The insurance companies make record profits-they pay their exec staff ridiculously high salaries and don't care about subscribers and don't provide anything. Read Wendell Potters' book-he used to work for an insurer and they are parasites.

June 20, 2012 at 17:50 | Report abuse |
  23. MaureenB

One of my younger brothers died an untimely and painful death from a heart attack because he didn't have health insurance. He was a self-emplyed, hard-working CPA in a small town and couldn't get coverage because of a pre-existing condition. I hope that all you trolls that oppose universal coverage would have to suffer like my family did at his funeral. Oh, but of course, conservatives would never have that experience because when you do - you are no longer an opponent of universal coverage! P.S., I have always been a supporter of universal coverage.

June 20, 2012 at 12:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dianawelsh

Maureen, I'm very sorry for you loss. It should never have happened, we should have had universal coverage a long long time ago. The health care system in this country is broken, and until more people care about others as much as they do about themselves, I fear it's going to remain so. Unfortunately, "love thy neighbor as thyself" is out of vogue right now.

June 20, 2012 at 12:30 | Report abuse |
    • D

Sorry about your loss. Of course health care is a basic human right. It should not depend on the type of employment, whether your employer offers it, genetics, or anything else. More and more people need to tell their stories.

June 20, 2012 at 13:44 | Report abuse |
  24. Melissa

The completely idiotic way health care is done in this country should be illegal.

June 20, 2012 at 13:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. felix el gato

That's the idea.

June 20, 2012 at 13:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. alan

Most conservatives are pro-life because they want to protect innocent lives.
    But most conservatives are also against healthcare coverage for everybody.

So the pro-life people are willing to let innocent children die because (through no fault of their own) their parents can't afford to take them to a doctor.

Somebody explain this to me?????

June 20, 2012 at 13:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steve

You hit it on the head, because they can't afford to take them to the doctor! Doctors and hospitals are too expensive. why are we not asking them to bring their prices and profits down?

June 20, 2012 at 13:24 | Report abuse |
    • D

Steve- so what is the solution? If people get preventative care paid for, it reduces the very expensive costs of acute care. This is what Obama is trying to do! I have heard no solutions from you.

June 20, 2012 at 13:45 | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Standardize the pricing for medical services, have a sensible cost of living sway for providers in higher cost areas. Example, within 1 mile there are three MRI's in my area that range from $800 to $2400 for the exact same MRI. Let's limit the medical field to the same profit limit that is imposed on insurance companies (Diane the 15 to 20% is used for their buildings, customer service departments, web sites, brochures, forms, salaries, commissions to agents, etc.). Lets' limit that profit to a "total" profit, a medical device such as a hip is marked up on the average 3 times prior to being billed at surgery. So let's limit that based on actual cost of manufacturing, not mark up to middle man then to supplier, then to his middle man then to the provider. We don't pay for a service anymore, we pay for their lavish bricks and mortar. let's get medical care back to providing and charging at reasonable rates. ObamaCare is not just about preventive care, even it it were how come even though some health plans cover 100% preventive (now all have to) people still didn't utilize the benefit. This isn't just a health insurance problem that so many think can be fixed by ObamaCare, it is a much larger problem. Even if SCOTUS upholds the law I bet your premiums continue to rise, I bet people will still wait, in many cases too long, to seek the care they should get. You can lead a horse to water.....

June 20, 2012 at 14:41 | Report abuse |
    • dianawelsh

Steve: A big part of the lack of utilization of the things in the ACA is due to poor messaging on the part of those implementing the bill, and out right lying by those who oppose it. Those who know what's in it and keep track as things are implemented DO use it. As for the rest, if Medicare can manage to use 97% of each dollar spent on healthcare, why does health insurance companies have such a problem getting to 80-85%? Surely the overhead costs shouldn't be that great a difference, right? Especially if it's true that public employees are paid better than private employees? No, a big part of that extra percentage goes to *lobbyists* rather than health care. If they cut out the lobbyists they wouldn't have an issue, and would still have a decent profit margin. If they were actually working for the people and doing their *job* they wouldn't need so many lobbyists. I don't think anyone is disagreeing that we pay way too much for medical care, and those costs need to be lowered as well, but you have to look at the whole picture not just one side of things. Insurance companies pay much less for medical care then people without insurance do 95% of the time.

June 20, 2012 at 15:10 | Report abuse |
    • dianawelsh

correction: "of each dollar spent on healthcare, why do health insurance companies have such a problem getting to" not "does" sorry, that's annoying, wish there was an edit button. Haven't been breathing well the past few days, which means I haven't been sleeping well, which means the fibro flares up.... which makes sleeping well harder (and doing anything harder) which means brain fog and extra pain. Lovely circle I have going, I know. But I hate when I make simple grammar errors like that.

June 20, 2012 at 15:25 | Report abuse |
    • ConA

Hi Alan:
      Yes, they are so vocal about abortion and birth control, but don't care about the kids that are born–their stance never made sense to me.

June 20, 2012 at 17:04 | Report abuse |
  27. sick n tired

How many people who have 'insurance' die prematurely? I know several people who have 'health insurance' who have given up seeking medical treatment. There are a couple of reasons, one being that even with 'insurance' they still can't afford the cost and the other reason is the quality of care. I feel for anyone who doesn't have insurance but the health care problems we face go far beyond whether or not your insured. Face it, if you want "quality' health care in the US you better be wealthy.

June 20, 2012 at 13:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Steve

OK I'll say it one more time! The main problem is the cost of care!!!!! Yes you are right you better be wealthy, why aren't we trying to get the doctors, surgery centers, hospitals, pharmacies, etc to lower their costs and profits!!!! Even if you get an insurance company to lower premiums that doesn't help people without insurance. If we get the providers to lower costs that helps everybody!

June 20, 2012 at 13:28 | Report abuse |
    • D

So, Steve, how do we do that exactly? Pharmaceutical companies will not go for price controls like they have in other countries. What specifically do you propose?

June 20, 2012 at 13:47 | Report abuse |
    • Thirdspacing

Steve: Providers already get paid less than veterinarians. Every time there is a decrease in medicare reimbursement to providers (~every 2 years) insurance companies reduce their rates also. Currently if a provider sees 15 patients an our they are breaking even with the costs of overhead, so providers must see 30 patients an hour for profit. The average PCP makes 120-150k. This is after 4-6 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and 3-9 years of residency. In total about 500k in debt at 8% interest monthly each provider has a debt of 800k. Residency pays 50k per year.

Lets not forget every country that has universal healthcare has medical education for free, no malpractice insurance costs, and no ability to sue for malpractice. The American public will have a hard time parting with these as well

June 20, 2012 at 14:15 | Report abuse |
    • Steve

I've heard that argument before as well. PCP's are working harder for half the money, so is the rest of America. All it takes is a quick googe search to get averages on salaries for providers. Specialist performing 10 surgeries a week making 1 million after overhead. The Medicare cuts have been postponed for a few years now. I do agree providers can't keep their doors open on Medicare reimbursement rates for everyone but would you agree that the lavish offices and the over the top amenities of a providers office could be curbed just a little? How about the 5 star hospitals we now have? Insurance companies cant' reduce their rates unless the provider agrees to their new contract. PPO doctors traditionally renegotiate rates about every two years and once again a quick google search or a visit to the Milliman Healthcare Index report can show that medcial costs have risen significantly over the last ten years, in some instances over 120%. Less than 50% of PCPs are in private practice anymore, most are forming larger networks or just being bought by healthcare monsters, HealthOne, Centura, St Anthonys, Banner, PVHS, Kaiser, and so many more. Their profit margins are quite a bit larger than the top 5 insurance carriers. Yes profits should be limited for the "good of the people" but not just insurance companies.

June 20, 2012 at 14:55 | Report abuse |
    • Thirdspacing

Steve: Your figures are gross lies and have no merit. You are right a quick google search of specialists yields the average salary of 320k (I don't know where you got your gross lies from) 10 surgeries a week? are you kidding? or just that naive? Most specialists work 80+ hour weeks ( 18 hours a day on average) Roughly 7 surgeries per day times 6 days a week that equals 42 surgeries a week and office hours 4 days a week as well.

So if a surgeon brings in lets even say 400,000/ year. Office space is 80k per year, medical equipment/ supplies 30k, malpractice insurance 120k, office staff salaries/ insurance 50k, Self Insurance 12k gross income= $102,000 per year working 80 hours per week. This is why they are forming partnerships and groups, it is cheaper to share costs and walk out with at least 200k then

Here is a better idea, dont try to throw garbage at somebody who actually knows the field. You steve are an outright liar, and a sham, you have completely discredited yourself, anything you say from this point forward will bear no merit.

June 20, 2012 at 15:21 | Report abuse |
    • All41

June 20, 2012 at 15:30 | Report abuse |
    • All41

I agree thridspacing. I checked everything out online Steve is a gross liar as you put it. His figures are nowhere near reality. I believe much of this is ignorance of the field, people screaming the grass is greener over there!. They have no experience in what they are talking about, and they have no knowledge of it either. It is evident in this Steve poster who obviously has absolutely no idea of anything that occurs in the medical field. This is part of the problem. All I could recommend is to ignore steve from now on and others who share his lack of knowledge in what they are talking about. Gross ignorance, there is no excuse for it

June 20, 2012 at 15:35 | Report abuse |
  28. dianawelsh

Steve: It may help more people *afford* insurance if we could get them to lower premiums. People could afford insurance once upon a time. Now fewer and fewer can. Both are at fault, both the costs of care and the insurance companies.

June 20, 2012 at 13:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Vincent A. Demonbreun

People need to take control of their own health and study up on their condition if they have one. We are too dependent on doctors and pills. I don't have health care insurance because I don't want to pay $200 a month. I choose eating healthy foods and exercise as my health care. Learn what is in food and how it's made. Ask nutritionists and dieticians.

June 20, 2012 at 14:47 | Report abuse |
    • dianawelsh

yes, because eating right can completely cure lung damage and reverse copd. Notice the sarcasm here please. Some things can be improved by diet, and I do what I can that way, but there is NO CURE for lung damage or copd, not medicinally, not nutritionally. The meds I take are what I need to function at all, and that poorly. Please don't give me the miracle diet cure bull pucky. There are too many people who buy into those things and die or get worse as a result.

June 20, 2012 at 14:53 | Report abuse |
    • really

So Vincent, what you are saying is that if you should get sick, you just want to be left to die? Or do you expect the rest of us to pay for your care? Tofu is not going to keep you from getting cancer, or a MRSA infection, or any number of things that even young people can get. Are you prepared to pay thousands of dollars out of pocket because you wanted to save $200 a month?

June 20, 2012 at 17:12 | Report abuse |
  29. Mbane

26k is nothing. We don't want public health care because of that 1 rare case that happened in a country with healthcare. We don't want that one case to happen here. Therefore we will let 26,000 people die.

June 20, 2012 at 14:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Greg H

It's amazing .....I've read nearly all of the posts, but have seen nothing about the costs of malpractice insurance for doctors, nor anything about the medical malpractice issue. Whatever happened to the doctor's arguement that law suits (many of them without merit) drive up health care costs. Anyone.....

June 20, 2012 at 14:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Blue Bear

So-called "tort reform" is just a dodge the malpractice carriers perpetuate in order to increase premiums and scare legislatures into limiting liability amounts juries are allowed to award. Studies of the costs of malpractice insurance in the 1990s which compared insurance premiums in states which put caps on liability with rates in states which did not limit jury awards showed that insurance premiums were completely unaffected by liability limits. In other words, the insurers just put the extra money which they no longer had to pay out to the injured into their own pockets. The doctors weren't smart enough to figure this out and they can still be heard crying out for 'tort reform' under the misguided belief that somehow it would save them money. It won't. It hasn't. Despite limitations on liability in almost all jurisdictions, the cost of liability insurance has not dropped anywhere.

June 20, 2012 at 15:48 | Report abuse |
    • All41

BlueBear: A 5 second google search already proved that wrong

"The No. 1 medical malpractice insurance company in Texas cut its rates by 12 percent the year after the tort reforms passed, and—to date—malpractice insurance rates have fallen by 27.5 percent on average"

"Some in the state government have said that the number of doctors applying to practice in the state has grown by 60 percent."

Fact vs opinion.... FACT WINS

June 20, 2012 at 15:58 | Report abuse |
    • Blue Bear

Try checking the studies done by the Louisiana Bar Association in either 1991 or 1992. Unless you're afraid of the truth.

You sound like somebody who works for an insurance company.

June 20, 2012 at 16:49 | Report abuse |
    • All41

You cited a study from 1991. The one I cited in texas was done in 2012, as was studied all the way back to 2003 when tort was enacted. I hate insurance companies, but I also hate when people use false facts and opinions as truth

You sound like someone who won't admit they are wrong

June 20, 2012 at 17:05 | Report abuse |
  31. Dammit

It's real simple, folks: if you can't afford the medicine, don't get sick in the first place. I mean, if you're too dumb or lazy to figure out how to become a millionaire, you basically deserve whatever happens to you. As a nation we should damned proud of those 26,000 deaths. They show the world our independent spirit and our determination to keep the scourge of socialism out of our lives. They are uiniquely American and we should all be celebrating the sacrifice they've made to keep ours the greatest country in the world.

June 20, 2012 at 14:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. B. Russell

I'll bet more people die with health insurance each day!!

June 20, 2012 at 15:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cleat

you bet they do...but we cant report that...

June 20, 2012 at 15:29 | Report abuse |
  33. C. Mordecai

Just teach our citizens all the various natural ways we can diagnose, ake care of ourselves, and not be so dependent on a health system run by insurance companies, allopathic physicians, politicians, They wish we'd be totally dependent on them so they can get all our money. There definitely are ways.. truly, truly, truly

June 20, 2012 at 15:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Ganan

And here come the "death panels".

June 20, 2012 at 15:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Blue Bear

History will judge this generation – us – as harshly as we ourselves, looking back, judge slaveholders. Lots of folks are going to bust Hell wide open for the butchery we perpetuate in order to preserve the profits of health insurance companies. Socialize my medicine, please. I hate all of this killing.

June 20, 2012 at 15:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. cleat

As posted above "I dont want to pay $200 a month for healthacare...."
    Well too friggin bad!!! You have to PAY for service...Its how the planet works.
    I think we have a "gimme gimme gimme" handout society, which is growing by the minute, where people think they deserve this stuff for free for some reason. Guess its what you get when you keep throwing money at people to stay on welfare their entire lives than them actually WORKInG for what they have/want/need.

June 20, 2012 at 15:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Soriordan

As a small business owner, my wife and I are the employees, and as a Father of three I would be flipping delighted if my insurance was $200 a month. Sadly, having a family policy, not through an employer, my monthly is over $1,400 all said and done.

June 20, 2012 at 19:43 | Report abuse |
  37. Weatherbrain

Yeah where do you live to see a doc for $150? Mines $350/visit and even with insurance its still a $35 co-pay. labs run over $2200 every 4 months. Meds run $4K a month. My insurance premium is $2000 a month.

If your not sick and just paying for "well care" that's one thing. But if you DO get sick – watch out! Take Bush's advice – don't get sick! With or without insurance the bills will be astronomical.

June 20, 2012 at 15:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • All41

Ask to switch to the $4 plan drugs 30 days for $4 or 90 days for $10. Almost every drug is available generically on this list

June 20, 2012 at 15:48 | Report abuse |
    • dianawelsh

All41: Depends on your diagnosis. Not almost every drug is available on this list. Neither of my inhalers are on it, nor is the specialized copd cough med I need (otc cough meds don't work, and anything with codeine is a respiratory inhibitor so does more harm then good). I get my prednisone off the $4 list, and my nebulizer treatments off the $4 list. Even so, I would pay $431 in prescriptions a month without medicaid. That's not counting my otc meds (like my acid pill and my allergy med because claritin is the only one that works for me). Yes, those lists are a good resource, but it really depends what meds you're on. It can reduce the amount you pay if you're lucky.

June 20, 2012 at 16:24 | Report abuse |
    • All41

Yes most medications are on it. As I already said not all are on it. Some meds that are not yet generic yet are not on it yet. The list is very comprehensive, and many meds can be switched to an alternative even if its not the exact one. Wont help everything or everyone but it is a help

June 20, 2012 at 17:08 | Report abuse |
  38. cleat

4000 a month in meds-well, i can say thats NOT typical.
    Just think how much fun you would be having if that drug compant didnt spend a billion dollars researching and developing it for you. that and the CONSTANT bombardment by "lawyers" suing for every possible side-effect and itch you get after taking it (never mind its keeping you alive...)
    Now, I am not a sheep of the drug companies- I just realize this stuff isnt free to develop/ get FDA approved and out to market....
    Whats the solution? I dont know honestly...but I can tell you having Uncle Sugar pay for it isnt going to help.

June 20, 2012 at 15:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dianawelsh

If meds were that expensive in other countries I may agree with you, but they're not. Also, they are trying to get laws passed to make it longer before generics come out so they have a monopoly on the meds. They have also fairly recently tried to get patents renewed so that a med that prevents miscarriage, so a drug that cost only a few dollars a month has gone up over $3000. Not because of expense of new research, the drug has been around for decades. But because they wanted sole province over the method of delivery that was being used as opposed to the way it was originally supplied.

June 20, 2012 at 16:30 | Report abuse |
  39. J G

Meanwhile, illegal aliens get all the free health insurance we want.

Well, free to them. The rest of us get to pay for it.

June 20, 2012 at 16:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. PandoraDoggl

This is a faulty assumption from the start. This is like saying, "millions go uneducated because they can't get student loans." It's not the fact that they can't get insurance that's the root of the problem; it's that health care costs are inflated and too expensive, just as in the case of higher education, the cost of tuition is too high for many to afford. The administration is acting on the assumption that giving everyone loans and forcing everyone to carry insurance is going to solve the problem, when in actuality, the way we use insurance to pay for our health care in even the most affordable of cases is what is causing the rise in health care costs. Forcing everyone into the insurance market isn't going to suddenly, magically decrease the actual price of health care any more than giving everyone a loan is going to reduce the price of tuition. Quite the opposite, it will continue to inflate the prices. We need to address the root causes of high costs, and the Affordable Care Act can't do that.

June 20, 2012 at 16:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Pdf Ninja

The main difference is that in Europe health insurance is mandatory. In the US there are idiots who don't buy insurance, and someone has to pay for their care. Look, you can't say that you have no children, so no need for a school system, and you don't cause fires, so you don't need firefighters, you don't drive so you don't need roads. You have to pay your taxes regardless. Similarly, no one should be without health insurance, it shouldn't be an option. And don't you dare say that you can't afford it, because in other countries in mandatory. It's not where you wanna save.

June 20, 2012 at 16:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Lauren

Lynda Elaine – I am sorry for what you are going through. Obamacare is definitely flawed, but at least it is a step in the right direction. The only reason it is so flawed and complicated is because the Republican Congress wouldn't pass it without so many conditions. It is criminal that in this country we do not have Universal healthcare. When my father was laid off 10 years ago at age 56, he was absolutely terrified and looking to move us back to France (where my mother is originally form, and where my father went to school. I was born in the U.S.) or to Canada – SOLELY because of the healthcare. Fortunately, he found a job 6 months later with excellent health care that covered all pre-existing conditions. He was absolutely right to be concerned. 6 months later, my mom was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor. Her surgery (without coverage) would cost $800,000+; and the radiation she would undergo 5 days a week for 6 weeks would have cost us $8,000+ / day.

I really hope that you can get the care that you need. Cobra and that state assistance may be too costly at $600. But it may be your best option if you can still get on it.

June 20, 2012 at 17:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Dave in Canada

I laugh everytime I hear an American say "the greatest country in the world".

June 20, 2012 at 18:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • pbgodfrey

June 20, 2012 at 20:11 | Report abuse |
  44. abbydelabbey

When someone dies due to lack of health care insurance one cannot help but feel ashamed for America. We have billions for war but refuse to have a national health care system. So, it's okay to kill - but not to heal -

June 20, 2012 at 19:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. pbgodfrey

Folks can afford 10.00 for an office visit or something. Everyone just wants something for nothing. Get out work and pay for it and quit whining.

June 20, 2012 at 20:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dianawelsh

What world are you living in? Just walking into an urgent care costs $125, for a *level 1* issue, which is basically, nothing. And that's not even a 'regular' doctor's office. $10 for an office visit? Maybe back in the 1970's. And don't even get me started on prescriptions, the $4 ones at Walmart are great, but if you're asthmatic you're out of luck as inhalers aren't part of that program. My medical costs are about $7000 a year, and that's if I don't end up in the hospital in a crisis (which usually happens 2-6 times a year). Even when I was holding on and able to work, that was literally half my pay. It's not 'whining' it's reality.

June 20, 2012 at 23:11 | Report abuse |
    • Larry

Hey jack off i work full time my wife cant find a job and it takes all we got to make sure our kids have coverage. We ended up on medicaid which in my state doesnt cover dental for someone like me because i make too much money($22,000). Bad teeth can lead to heart problems. I tajke care of myself including working out but i cant afford the healthcare i need because of cuts to nmedicaid and the cheap ins at work is almost $300 a month but its limits would run out after my kids had their check ups and nobody will insure me or my wife wioth full coverage privately because she had a c-section and i went to a doctor for my back.

June 21, 2012 at 02:52 | Report abuse |
  46. Sandra

And even *having* health insurance in the US doesn't mean you get health care! How many people have had to fore-go treatment because the procedures weren't 'approved ', to hell with the small fact that it would save their lives? And the insurance company dodging saying they weren't stopping treatment, just payment of said treatment. But because of the way the US health care system (a misnomer if there ever was one) is set up, you have to prove you have the funds to pay, or Pre-pay before the treatment can occur.

If any other thing was causing that many American citizens (and I think 26k is an understated number, as figures show it's closer to 45k a year die) to die, people would demand something be done to fix it.

June 20, 2012 at 20:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Sandra

"pbgodfrey

It is for those of us that get out and work hard and don't suck off the Government."

Really? You mean like Dick Cheney who got a heart transplant on YOUR dime? My sister worked her ass off, but she and her premature baby died because of lack of affordable health care. Speak not what you know nothing of, ok?

June 20, 2012 at 20:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Wicket

God forbid that people who want to become doctors do so out of a desire to heal, instead of a desire to be the richest person in town.

June 20, 2012 at 20:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Wicket

The same people who are against universal health care are also against abortions for victims of rape and incest...they only care about zygotes, not the suffering who are already born.

June 20, 2012 at 21:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Joe

This study grossly overstates the number. They assume if someone dies and skipped preventataitve care that the preventative care would have saved them. They also don't look into every person's financial situation to determine if they skipped that care because they couldn't afford it, or becuase they couldn't afford it and make the payments on their brand new SUV. Don't be so gullible when hit with the liberal propaganda machine.

June 20, 2012 at 22:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dianawelsh

They never got that chance, so we'll never know with 100% certainty. However, we can use mortality statistics for people with treatable diseases and make estimates. When you look at statistics that say 40% of asthmatics without insurance cannot afford their medication vs. 11% of insured people.. then that there are more than 3,300 deaths from asthma per year, and 7000 where asthma was a contributing factor (like with pneumonia)... and that since 1980 asthma deaths have *increased* by 50% despite great improvements in treatment... well, you do the math.

June 20, 2012 at 23:18 | Report abuse |
    • dianawelsh

btw: Asthma statistics thanks to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.

June 20, 2012 at 23:22 | Report abuse |
    • Larry

Liberal propaganda machine? People without access to proper heatlhcare die earlier than those that have access to it, whats propaganda about that? I work full time and still dont have coverage for myslef because i cant afford it through work and nobody willinsure me privately because i went to a doctor a few years ago for my back. I am exactly the type of person this study says is at risk but then again ill probably ok because im a made up statistic by the liberals you ass

June 21, 2012 at 02:56 | Report abuse |
    • Wrenn_NYC

So it's better to have your assumption that preventative care would not have saved them/given them a better life/prolonged their active life?

Preventative care would at least have had a CHANCE at doing those things.

As for your other assumption... that people would rather pay for an SUV than healthcare... Must be nice living in your self righteous world. What you are doing here is doing the 'people deserve what they get' and making the assumption that people without health care are chosing to be so, in favor of luxury items... with no proof whatsoever, and in ignorance of the costs of health care/insurance and the economic downturn as a whole.

To make yourself feel good for your dismissal of the lives of others.

June 21, 2012 at 11:11 | Report abuse |