home
RSS
'Weight of the Nation' declares war on obesity
May 8th, 2012

'Weight of the Nation' declares war on obesity

Efforts to end the U.S. obesity epidemic have been too slow, resulting in millions of Americans suffering from chronic, debilitating and deadly diseases, according to a new report from the Institute of Medicine (IOM).

Released Tuesday at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's "Weight of the Nation" conference, the report outlines critical goals that must be put in place to address the complex and unrelenting problem of obesity.

The IOM - an independent nonprofit arm of the National Academy of Sciences - offered the following recommendations for individuals, schools, government and industry:

• Include physical activity in daily life.
  • Ensure everyone has access to healthy food and drink choices in all settings.
  • Change the message and the marketing about the importance of nutrition.
  • Make schools a gateway to healthy weight.
  • Motivate employers, doctors and other health care professionals to get on board and champion healthy lifestyles.

"As the trends show, people have a very tough time achieving healthy weights when inactive lifestyles are the norm and inexpensive, high-calorie foods and drinks are readily available 24 hours a day," said committee chair Dan Glickman, executive director of congressional programs, Aspen Institute, Washington, D.C., and former U.S. secretary of Agriculture. "Individuals and groups can't solve this complex problem alone, and that's why we recommend changes that can work together at the societal level and reinforce one another's impact to speed our progress."

The committee reviewed more than 800 obesity prevention recommendations. Some of the strategies which they said might be most effective include:

• Requiring schools to provide 60 minutes of physical education or activity per day
  •  Implementing industry-wide guidelines on what food and drinks can be marketed to children as well as how
  • Expanding on-the-job wellness programs and getting restaurants to make lower calorie, healthier kid meals available.

Other suggestions include having healthier options at competitive prices at all venues like sports arenas and malls.  The report calls on government agencies to mandate the changes if industry has not adopted suitable standards within two years.  And the report challenges the media to work with federal officials and the food industry on a marketing campaign that would get the word out about healthy living.

Saying that kids consume up to half of their daily calories in school, the committee also endorses giving schools the funds and backing they need to make sure federal nutrition standards are in place for products sold in vending machines and at concession stands - and even suggesting food literacy to be taught as part of the school curriculum.

"Obesity is both an individual and societal concern, and it will take action from all of us - individuals, communities, and the nation as a whole - to achieve a healthier society," said IOM President Harvey V. Fineberg.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), a group that advocates strongly for nutrition and health policy, is urging the recommendations be implemented immediately.

"The IOM report provides an excellent blueprint for solving America's costly obesity problem. But policy makers will have to invest both money and political capital to convert the advice into reality," said Michael Jacobson, CSPI executive director.

CSPI nutrition policy director Margo Wootan said the country has begun to address the issue, but more progress is needed. "It's unconscionable that we are still doing so little to help the two-thirds of American who are at risk of costly and debilitating obesity-related problems like heart attack, stroke, amputations, blindness and cancer," Wootan said.

The Weight of the Nation initiative includes a four-part HBO documentary series that examines the epidemic through case studies, interviews with families who are struggling with obesity and leading national experts.

1. Ron Harding

My pesonal opinion is that most Americans "eat out" too often which makes it very difficult to maintain a healthy diet. We just aren't very careful as to what we eat . . . . . me included !!

May 8, 2012 at 22:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Melony

It isn't going to get better because of the many fast food places, very few places to exercise for free, and pure laziness. Take my neighborhood for example. In 2000, the nearest fast food place was about 6 miles away. Now, the nearest fast food place is 0.79 miles away. In fact, we now have a McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Chipotle, KFC, Taco Bell, Bob Evans, 2 Subway stores, at least 1 Chinese food place, Las Margarita's, Del Mar's, Pizza Hut, Quizno's, and a few other places. The area I live in used to be a somewhat healthy community until fast food places started popping up.

May 8, 2012 at 23:09 | Report abuse |
    • websterkrawly

The really sad thing to me is that exercise IS free. I exercise every day, it's called going for a walk. When I can't walk, which happens sometimes at my age, I do other active things. I had a physical therapist years ago that taught me to make weights out of socks and cans of peas.

There are folks who write it off to national depression, which I can sort of see as part of the problem. It's easy for many to look to food for solace. Then the food we look to is another big chunk of that nasty causal pie chart. The rest of it would be general lifestyle. Consider Levittown's model and where it has brought us as far as community goes. Nothing is centralized anymore outside of the mall. I know families that drive ten miles to school, twenty to work and don't hesitate to drive less than a single mile for a cheeseburger. ... Wait I AM that family! At least the last one,lol.

Oh but change is difficult. For me I justify it as "since I can barely get my hips downstairs I should be allowed to drive today instead of having to walk. The fact is maybe if I had kept walking my hips would still love me and I wouldn't have to choose.

May 9, 2012 at 00:09 | Report abuse |
    • Fit for Life

Melony posted, "Very few places to exercise for free." Really? That comment right there demonstrates the tremendous depth of the problem. People always want a magic bullet to fix things – and life just doesn't work that way, including being healthy. Exercise and healthy nutrition options are everywhere, right at our fingertips. But people are simply too lazy, and disinterested.

May 9, 2012 at 07:02 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

websterkrawly, Walking in the City is one thing, but in the suburbs it can be dangerous when there are no Sidewalks. I used to walk about 3 to 5 miles in South Jersey and feared for my life when the sidewalk ran out and I had to drift into the street.

May 9, 2012 at 08:34 | Report abuse |
    • Anna

The food was changed in the USA, UK and Australia 30 years ago when dangerous food chemicals from the USA was allowed into Europe. The food today causes stubborn insulin If you have stubborn insulin you hold fat and have a hard time losing weight. You can eat very little and the weight still does not come off. Stubborn insulin will hold fat and diets won’t work. When researchers used a specialized diabetes diet on overweight people all lost weight even those who did not have diabetes.

just google SPIRIT HAPPY DIET

May 9, 2012 at 09:11 | Report abuse |
    • Mary

I think we need to frame this challenge in a way that respects the law of attraction highlighted in The Secret! I am very excited for this movie to release. I just believe we really need to focus on Creating Abundant Health not Fixing Obesity. When you study the law of attraction, it becomes evident to outline what you want to attract....

May 9, 2012 at 11:28 | Report abuse |
    • moosetwo

BS let's face it . You are reporting a problem instead of trying to fix it . Try making old fashion gym class back in school intead of classes on Birth Control and other sex problem with children 5-12.. Let's face it we ALLOW Sex with out marriage as OK.

May 9, 2012 at 13:25 | Report abuse |
    • bfh

Fit for life, the real problem is you don't want to pay so much for insurnace and you blame heavy people, or smokers right? What people seem not to address here is the true problem Insurnace Companies!!! So lets see if this idea sinks in any at all lets say Every person who smokes quite! Lets say every person who is over weight gets fit! Do you believe in your mind that the insurance cost will go down? There is no way in the world that would happen!! They will just pick a nother group of people to choose to say raises your cost. Like maybe red heads they have short tempers should they be forced to take meds to help keep them calm or should we just isolate the gene and get rid of it!! by the way any one in your family have any illnesses or traits that will raise my insurance, think before you answer. If we as a country let the insurance companies mandate what we Have eat, how long we Have to excerise, what will be next? So you may purchase a candy bar at the check out line, but if you are over weight you should be denied the freedom to choose if you want one or not? We seem to give up a lot of freedom to be a country which prides its self on beign free. Instead of dividing this country smokers against non smoker, healty against heavey, lets stop this Insurance war before it's to late. Please don't give me a lot on the smoking bit I know it's an awful habit, but do I have the right to tell some one else they are not allowed to smoke near a door or in a park just because it smells so bad walking into a store or even a bar just walking through the second hand smoke is NOT going to give you cancer! I have set through many movies, dinners and other events where the women have on so much colonge that it makes me gag, do I have the right to tell them not to wear it because it smells bad? No I don't and neither do you! This "land of the free" is quickly becoming "land of the free only if it's my way"

May 9, 2012 at 13:42 | Report abuse |
    • Crocky

Agreed webstercrawly. There's also dancing in the living room to your favorite music, free fitness videos on YouTube, etc.

There is NO excuse not to exercise for free!

May 9, 2012 at 17:23 | Report abuse |
    • eroteme

Don't forget the children who are brought up on dining at fast-food restaurants with their overweight mothers and/or fathers. Such dining is so much easier than cooking at home.

May 9, 2012 at 21:32 | Report abuse |
    • chefdugan

That's a stupid argument. There are a lot of bars also but that doesn't mean a person has to turn into an alcoholic. Fat people are stupid, weak-minded idiots who can't stop stuffing food down their throats. They are also extremely ugly to look at. Actually make that disgusting to look at.

May 10, 2012 at 12:25 | Report abuse |
  2. Fit for Life

It all sounds good – but it is all for nothing. You can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink. People have become lazy and accustomed to taking the easy way out: fast food because it's quick/easy and tastes good, and no exercise because it's too much work. As for me, I'm 6', 165 pounds, ran my fourth marathon this past Sunday (providence, RI), eat an extremely clean diet (combining elements of vegetarian, vegan and raw food disciplines, along with some fish and chicken), and exercise every day. However, I pay $1,700 per month for health insurance because of a lazy, obese, smoking, drug using U.S. population. The government can pay for all the studies they want, Michelle Obama can put all the effort she wants into attempting to tackle childhood obesity – but it won't do any good. Our country with, it's stockpiles of computers, iPads, iPods, gaming systems, HD TV's, iPhones, ect. has no reason to get off the couch and exercise, or make a decent healthy meal. And it's only going to get worse . . . .

May 8, 2012 at 22:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • major difference

All of things considered, Much of inactivity is because folks have long commutes and can't figure out how to get exercise into their day. I might get away with 2 hours of TV a day, but I can't start exercising withing two hours of bedtime. I won't go to sleep if I exercise after 8pm. So when will exercise? Maybe Friday through Sunday? It was different when I worked within 15 minutes of my home, then I worked out 4 to 5 times a week. But now I spend 3 to 4 hours of my car driving.

May 9, 2012 at 08:38 | Report abuse |
    • Fit for Life

More lame excuses – honestly.

May 9, 2012 at 09:25 | Report abuse |
    • alison

You sound like a lovely person. Let me guess – you're better than everyone else.

May 9, 2012 at 11:03 | Report abuse |
    • jayleigh

I have three children and a full time job. It is very hard to get time in to exercise. At this stage of my life it is hard to get an hour to sit and relax. Not everyone is on the same playing field. We could all do better, but my bet is that you have alot more time on your hands. Stupid kids needing their dad around to do things with them!

I am 6' 1"/200lbs. I workout (~6 hours a week) and I am muscular, yet still carry about 10-15lbs I shouldn't. I LOVE to exercise, I do love to eat as well. I diet regularly (and sucesssfully) to maintain my weight within 190-205.

May 9, 2012 at 11:13 | Report abuse |
    • Homer

Blaming your insurance rate on unhealthy people? As if the unhealthy folks somehow do not also have to pay insurance themselves? It's the same argument as the "I don't have kids why should I pay taxes for schools". I wish people will live healthier lives for their own good, but I don't condemn them for the way they are. I eat out a lot, I do not watch my diet, and I enjoy slumping on my couch playing video games. I also run 40mpw. Your way of living is great but it's not the only right way. Stop judging others.

May 9, 2012 at 14:09 | Report abuse |
    • Crocky

Agreed, which is why when I took my current job, I made sure that I live about 3 miles from work and am looking into the feasibility of biking on a regular basis (walking isn't an option due to lack of sidewalks and pedestrian-friendly intersections). I wake up at 4:30 every morning to get a workout in, since I know that if I don't do it first thing, I won't do it. Walking is one option for free exercise, another one is dancing to your favorite music, and if you have a computer and internet access, there are a TON of free workout videos on YouTube.

There's just no excuse...and as an obese woman, I know what I'm talking about here, because although I started as a morbidly obese woman, I won't be fat for much longer.

May 9, 2012 at 17:30 | Report abuse |
    • miscreantsall

I lean more to your points Fitforlife.

The problem IS people and insurance companies (health for profit instead of health for PEOPLE). If you are paying that much for insurance, you must live in the Southeast!

People are by nature lazy (maybe lazy is the wrong word…………the quest for EASY could be correct). People also want immediate gratification (whether earned or not).

Barring any physical ailments, genetic legacies or glandular issues, people are FAT because of their own volition. Everything else, as you have said, are just lame excuses.

No sidewalks to walk on………..walk on the grass
      3 kids to watch………..well, you made them….deal with it
      25 miles to work……………you chose to work there or chose to live far from work…………too bad
      Too tired to cook…………..really?………..then don't eat……..are you afraid of feeling hungry once in a while? geesh!

May 10, 2012 at 05:53 | Report abuse |
    • Laureth

I started working out after my second daughter was born. I had a choice of being fat or working out and I chose working out. I also chose eating better too. When working full time and taking care of the kids started to get in the way of working out, I started getting up at 3:40 in the morning to work out(mainly because I got up at 4:45 for work and that was the only way I could work out before going to work). I did that for five years and then went back to working out after work once the kids were older. I consider myself fortunate that my husband is always willing to help out. I also go for a walk during my lunch hour. During the colder months I started walking in the basement of the building I work in. I find that when I've had a stressful day at work exercising makes me feel better.

We're all busy, but if you look hard enough you can find time for exercise. Go for a walk after dinner(or on your lunch hour). Play outside with the kids. Take the stairs. You can make excuses or you can make choices. It's not THAT difficult.

May 10, 2012 at 06:57 | Report abuse |
    • A

$1700 a month? How? Do you have an entire family and a cadillac plan for that? Even when I was a poor grad student with no health coverage through work I only paid about $80 a month (HDHP).

May 10, 2012 at 09:11 | Report abuse |
  3. Susan

We just eat too much, it's not so much activity. What people should be eating, particularly into middle age, is actually very little. We also eat too often. Just look at your dog – you feed him maybe twice a day, he doesn't eat much really. If he starts getting fat, it says right on the dog food bag to cut him back until he's not fat anymore. It's not that complicated.

May 8, 2012 at 23:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fit for Life

Very true. The solution to the problem is 30% exercise and 70% nutrition. But people just don't get that. Exercise is by far the easy part – 45 minutes a day of planned physical activity. It's the other 23 hours and 15 minutes of every day when we have to be disciplined enough not to make poor food choices that poses the greatest problem.

May 9, 2012 at 07:04 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

FIt for life, once again you fail to address the impact of commuting. If you have 24 hours a day, you to allocate time to sleep, work, eat and travel to work. So you add in a 1 to 2 hour commute then you drastically reduce your time to exercise. 24 hours – 8 hours to sleep, now you have 16 hours, then you subtract 3 hours to get to work than leaves 13, then minus the 9 hours that you actually work, you now have 4 hours left, then keep in mind that you can't workout within two hours of bedtime, so that leaves you with 2. Then if you add in your spouse or kids, well, where is the time to workout?

May 9, 2012 at 08:42 | Report abuse |
    • Fit for Life

I can appreciate the time constraints of modern life – commuting, driving our kids around, etc. However, the obesity epidemic is not being caused by people not having time to work out. It is being caused by poor food choices. Understand that – the formula is 70% nutrition and 30% exercise. And I find it difficult to believe that the vast majority of people can't squeeze in 30-45 minutes of exercise 4-5 times per week.

May 9, 2012 at 09:09 | Report abuse |
    • dom625

There are some exercise options that ideally fit in before bedtime. Yoga comes to mind–it's relaxing, calming, and can send you straight to bed afterwards. If exercise is important enough to you, you will make time for it.

May 9, 2012 at 09:31 | Report abuse |
    • excuses

Exercise doesn't need to be 45 minutes non stop. Take the stairs at work, park in the furtherest away parking spot, use your lunch to walk around the building. If you have a spouse and children involve them in the exercise. Nothing like a family game of kickball or a bike ride.

May 9, 2012 at 11:00 | Report abuse |
    • FiveLiters

@MajorDifference-unless you were being sarcastic in an earlier post, you said something about the "two hours you use to watch TV"...if you feel that you absolutely -have- to watch TV,get a treadmill and set it up in front of a TV (or use a laptop and stream it if need be). And if it's really important,or an issue,you could/would use some of that time to be more physically active. We all make choices.

May 9, 2012 at 11:06 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

FiveLiters, you can't do a full cardio based exercise within two hours of going to bed. You have to have wine down time. Are you suggesting that someone workout hard at 8 and then try to get in the bed by 10?

May 9, 2012 at 11:35 | Report abuse |
    • Ally

@ major difference, so all you need to do is adjust your schedule 1 hour. Go to bed at 9pm get up an hour earlier and run for 45 min on that treadmill before your morning shower.

Nearly everyone has time in their day that can be used for exercise. You just need to make it a priority.

May 9, 2012 at 12:40 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

Ally, I will try to make some additional adjustments. I did walk during lunch today and I will try get something in. It's just that I know my body and I that I need plenty of exercise to lo lose weight. It's frustrating because I can get down and focused but adjust to this long commute is killing me.

May 9, 2012 at 14:45 | Report abuse |
    • Ally

major difference, best of luck finding something that works for you. I'm right there with you. Lost about 40 pounds a couple of years ago and felt great. Gained it back and I'm mad at myself for letting it happen.

May 9, 2012 at 14:57 | Report abuse |
    • Crocky

majordifference, then you give up a little television at night, go to bed, and wake up early in the morning to get it done. That's what I've done and I'm 45 pounds lighter since the end of December.

We're not talking about rocket science, folks. Get rid of the excuses!

May 9, 2012 at 17:33 | Report abuse |
    • Tired of the Excuses

@ Major difference u are truly full of excuses. I believe that if it is something that you really want to do, you will make time for it. You keep screaming about working out right before bed, well how about waking up early and working out then? But you probably got an excuse for that too. Instead of finding an excuse for everything that is being said, why dont you just admit to yourself that YOU DONT WANT TO EXERCISE!! You'll probably feel much better after that!

May 10, 2012 at 12:23 | Report abuse |
  4. websterkrawly

I find it very interesting that when American culture hits elsewhere the first thing that's noticeable is the increase in elsewhere's waistline!

It's shameful that the reason a lot of these processed foods contain so much salt isn't because it's a natural preservatives. It's to cover the taste of the unnatural preservatives. >.>

May 8, 2012 at 23:55 | Report abuse | Reply

??

May 9, 2012 at 07:31 | Report abuse |
    • pgh

You know, it's funny about the salt content of packaged foods: I look at the package and if it says it's a low-salt option, they simply jack up the fat content. But if you opt for the low-fat option, it's often overly salty to the point of offensiveness. You often can't win with processed foods, unfortunately.

May 9, 2012 at 09:09 | Report abuse |
    • websterkrawly

I have noticed that, pgh. Either that or the product is "reduced fat" because the portion has been cut to one-third.

May 9, 2012 at 19:02 | Report abuse |
  5. Ali

Why do these recommendations always include PE instead of recess? If you send kids outside to play, kids will run around outside and play. If you send kids to PE, a few kids will have a good time, but the only thing most of us ever learned from PE is that PE sucks.

May 9, 2012 at 00:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fit for Life

Don't be so quick to sell PE short. It is an opportunity for kids to be introduced to sports and games that they might not otherwise experience.

May 9, 2012 at 07:28 | Report abuse |
    • llene Bilenky

My memory of PE was that we spent most of the time changing into gym uniforms, lining up and being counted as dressed right, maybe a few minutes of some skill, like dribbling a basketball, then back to change back into regular clothes. There was rarely any exercise to speak of, I guess in order to introduce us to some different game and sports skills. I would be pleasantly surprised if PE in school actually involved real exercise.

May 9, 2012 at 11:10 | Report abuse |
    • Laureth

I agree. I was never any good at sports and hated PE. But I LOVED recess.

May 10, 2012 at 07:02 | Report abuse |
  6. Donna

my personal opinion is much negative. Western culture determines people's eating habits, since western food is all about calories, fat and sweet, it is no reason for them to eat asian food (which is considered not to be too fatty) most of time, for instance. and they are used to eat these dunk food since they were young. Secondly, people have no choice other than fast food which is the best reliable and handy store through the day. Economic society choose the food for their people.

May 9, 2012 at 07:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fit for Life

"People have no choice other than fast food" – that is complete nonsense. All the good food choices in the world are generally within a mile of your house – at the grocery store. The problem is that people CHOOSE not to make good food choices.

May 9, 2012 at 07:30 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

You still have to take time to go to the grocery store, get in line and then get home to prepare foods, you are acting like those things are instanteous. they are not.

May 9, 2012 at 08:43 | Report abuse |
    • pgh

Major Difference, I agree to an extent, but I work in the city, and seeing how much time per day my fellow commuters and pedestrians jibber-jabber and otherwise interact with their iGadgets every day while walking, on the bus, or even on their bike, comparatively speaking a once-weekly grocery store shopping is a minor time suck.

May 9, 2012 at 09:13 | Report abuse |
    • Fit for Life

Are you telling me that time is so tight for you that your one and only option is fast food and frozen dinners. Honestly, between the "my commute is too long," comments and the "I don't have time to eat healthy meals" comments, it's no wonder we have an obesity epidemic. MAKE TIME, MAKE IT A PRIORITY. This is your health and your life for goodness sake. Do you want to know that drives me? I'll tell you – the thought of lying in a hospital with a stoke, heart attack, cancer, or other medical disaster, and having to look in my 8 year old daughter's eyes, knowing that I could have prevented this with better eating and exercise. That will NEVER happen to me. STOP MAKING EXCUSES!

May 9, 2012 at 09:16 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

Fit for life, there are 24 hours in a day, let me break it down.
      8 hours for sleep
      3 hours for commuting
      9 hours for work
      So right now I have 4 hours left.
      Now, you then allocate 1 hour to eat
      that leaves 3.
      Keeping in mind that 2 hours are off limits, meaning that you can't workout within two hours of bedtime.
      then you also lose a half an hour to shower and get dressed.
      So there's your 30 minutes. Hope and pray that nothing comes up with your family, spouse, or traffic.

May 9, 2012 at 10:41 | Report abuse |
    • FiveLiters

@FitForLife-just give up with MajorDifference;there will always be SOME excuse why s/he can't work out our eat right,and most likely resembles the lead picture in this article. I'm guessing with the whole "I need 8 hours to sleep,9 hours to work" rant,there was never time to,say go to their kid's play or baseball game/recital,visit relatives,or even poop,which would explain why they're so full of...

May 9, 2012 at 11:12 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

FiveLiters, once again you are missing the boat, Before I worked this commute, I did spend an hour or two exersizing. I did lose over 100 pounds, however, no my time is crushed with commuting and I have a baby on the way. So there is simply no time to workout the way that I need to lose weight, even with gardening on the weekends, and parking far away from the grocery store, I can't muster enough activity to burn calories to lose weight. To an extent I have plateaued. I have to burn about 500 or so extra calories just to lose weight. Short walks do not do it.

May 9, 2012 at 11:47 | Report abuse |
    • Joshua

major difference, I was like you once... no time to do anything and about 80 pounds overweight.

Then I cut all meat products out of my diet, and lost that 80 pounds in about 6 months. That was 10 years ago. Even with a sedentary lifestyle and no time to exercise, I still have a healthy weight and excellent stats otherwise.

So really, it's all about choices...

May 9, 2012 at 14:10 | Report abuse |
    • Laureth

@major difference, It's obvious to me that all the advice in the world isn't going to sway you. You've already determined that working out isn't in your schedule and nothing will change that. You're not ready to make the changes for a healthier life style. Your excuses are so well thought you can't get past them. You seem almost fanatically obsessed with not "working out 2 hours before bedtime". Someone suggested yoga and I think that's a great idea, but it doesn't sound like you're ready to take that step. I was going to suggest that if your commute in to work is your sole reason for not working out, is it possible to work from home? Can you work out on your lunch hour?(I work with a woman who has a commute of two hours and that's what she does). So long as you continue to find reasons not to work out, they will always be there.

May 10, 2012 at 07:44 | Report abuse |
    • Kim

I don't buy the excuses that fast food is "everywhere" or that "there's no time to exercise." You make choices all the time. Do you go to McD's for a Big Mac and fries or do you brown-bag a healthy (and less expensive) lunch you make yourself? Do you take the elevator or the stairs? Do you invest in an inexpensive piece of exercise equipment like a mini-trampoline or elliptical or treadmill or stationary bike and then use it for 20-30 minutes a day, or do you sit on your butt? Do you drink water or high calorie, high sugar drinks? There's always a way to make better choices no matter how busy you are. Just do it and quit whining, already.

May 10, 2012 at 08:17 | Report abuse |
    • A

"it is no reason for them to eat asian food (which is considered not to be too fatty) "

I guess you've never been anywhere in Asia, or at least you've been somewhere different than I was. I loved the food over there, but it was VERY greasy. Part of the reason Asians tend to be thin is their body frame structure and their tendency to gain muscle rather than fat. Not because their food isn't "fatty".

May 10, 2012 at 09:16 | Report abuse |
    • Crocky

@majordifference, I do my grocery shopping on Thursday nights after work. I cook one or two dishes in my slow cooker on the weekends, which yields between 8 and 12 servings. It's all healthy stuff: lean meats, fresh vegetables, a little brown rice, some low sodium chicken stock or organic marinara sauce...and all very tasty. This way, I have 2-3 choices during the week for lunches and dinners. Total prep time is an hour at the most (though I'm usually chopping up my vegetables for snacks at the same time), and the slow cooker automatically shuts off when the dish is cooked.

If I actually do feel like cooking during the week, I also make sure to have a bag or two of frozen vegetables in the freezer along with 1-2 fish fillets (usually tilapia, swai, or salmon). I just make sure to defrost a fillet in the microwave, then stick it on the grill with a little seasoning. Heat up the vegetables, and the whole thing takes maybe 15 minutes, tops.

Just like the exercise end of things, there is NO excuse for not eating healthy.

May 10, 2012 at 17:18 | Report abuse |
  7. Martin

Exercize is free!
    An expensive gym membership is not required.
    Just start.
    Walk for 40-60 minutes a day at a brisk pace, increase to a slow trot over time and before you are even aware, you are becoming healthier.
    Yes, food intake is another key factor no doubt about it.
    However, if you get comfortable exercizing and can burn 500-1000 calories a day, you will find that you can eat things you want, in some moderation, and not feel deprived while losing and maintaining your weight and your health.
    Really just start!

May 9, 2012 at 07:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • major difference

Sidewalks are required for walking, try crossing a busy highway or street. You might not make it back.

May 9, 2012 at 08:46 | Report abuse |
    • Fit for Life

First of all, the average workout will not burn anywhere near 500-1,000 calories a day. More in the range of 250-500 for an aerobic workout and less than that for a strength workout. The show the Biggest Loser has wrongly taught Americans that it's all about the exercise and putting the hours in the gym. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! It's about the food. Exercise is a necessary component, however, we are an overweight nation because of what we eat.

May 9, 2012 at 09:20 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

I disagree, when in american history was the typical diet healthy? never, American diets revolved around meat and potatoes. Most likely you ate what you could afford and that was it. There was no time to focuses on healthy or organic things, you ate what was available. Now fast forward to today, you still have the same cost issue except that now the cheap stuff, cakes, pies, chips are affordable and in easily accessible. What do folks do? They eat crap because it's cheap and accessible.
      What is or has been the major difference between now and our grandparents generation? Physical activity. Back then there were no personal computers and many jobs required movement. Folks lived closer to home and had at the worst a 30 minute commute. My Grandfather still eats bacon and eggs and eats twice as much food as I do, but he is ten times more active than I am, this is why he's so much smaller than me. Has nothing to do with diet.

May 9, 2012 at 10:48 | Report abuse |
    • JT

then drive somewhere with sidewalks – or to a park. I drive 15 minutes to a park, run for 30 minutes, drive 15 minutes back home. That's one hour. I also don't "require" 8 hours of sleep every night. It won't kill you to sleep 7 hours 2-3 times a week, you could even make it back up on the weekends when you aren't working/commuting for 12 hrs a day.

May 9, 2012 at 11:57 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

JT, When I worked withing 15 minutes of home, that is exactly what I did. But now with a pregnant wife(who's also a medical resident) I just don't have the same time that I used to have. My time every night is pretty much shot. I get up at 6 and get to work about 8, then I get to leave around 4:30, only to get home around 6 pm on a good day. When we aren't ridding together I usually pack some clothes and do what you suggest. However, when we are riding together my time gets even worse. Have to go pick her up and because she is a resident, there is no telling when she'll be done. I have tried to plan around it, but some times she is out right away, other times she's done an hour or so after I get there. There are nights I get home @8, then my night's done.

May 9, 2012 at 12:08 | Report abuse |
  8. pgh

Never. Gonna. Happen. Big government is too in bed with King Corn, Monsanto, Big Beef, McDonald's, and other corporations to have any incentive to make any healthy changes as described above. Their lobbyists outnumber politicians in DC, and walk around with suitcases full of money and campaign donations. Unless overweight children, diabetic adults, and organic small farmers can do the same (not that they should have to), NOTHING will change. You as a consumer have to change your purchasing on your own.

May 9, 2012 at 08:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • major difference

Yes, PGH, but even so, folks do not think that going out means eating healthy. That is an illusion. When a fast food chain puts healthy stuff on the menu, guess what happens? No one buys it. Why? Because folks associate going out with having comfort food. So to blame fast chains without looking at the mentality behind the consumer isn't fair.

McDonalds gets a bad rap, but they put calories and other nutrional information on their products, most folks don't even read the info and quickly throw it away. I remember watching the CNBC special on McD's and two young men were eating a quarter pounder with cheese meal. The reported informed them that all of the nutritional information was on their rappers. They looked and were suprised to find out how many calories where in their meal, but that didn't stop them from finishing.

May 9, 2012 at 09:16 | Report abuse |
    • Fit for Life

EXACTLY – don't blame McDonald's or KFC. We have a consumer driven economy – and if there wasn't a huge market for the poison they serve, they would be out of business. We have become a country of whiners, complainers and excuse makers. We want to blame our failures on, the long commute, the difficulty of preparing healthy meals, the fast food chains, and grain subsidies by the government. It's very sad. Even reading the relatively few comments posted here in this blog it crystalizes the fact that people just don't get it. Take responsibility for yourself, your weight and your health. Stop blaming and do something about it.

May 9, 2012 at 09:24 | Report abuse |
    • Ally

It tends to surprise me how many people rant about fast food places. And what's keeping you from having a chicken salad, apple wedges and a milk at McDonalds? Nothing. Because those are options on the menu.

May 9, 2012 at 12:49 | Report abuse |
  9. Jennifer

While Genetics may or may not play a role in Morbid or any level of obesity......Genetics/Family Influence DOES play a large role in influencing the healthy decision making in all of us. When parents pump their children full of fast food, unhealthy snacks, and allow children to lounge around, and play video games, watch t.v. play on computers, yada, yada.....parents or "Care-Givers" and teaching and setting horrible habits for our future generations. In life, we teach and we learn.....what are we, as parents teaching our children about the importance of, "What we all put into ourselves, is what we shall receive from ourselves". There is no quick fix. It may take generations of young deaths, Diabetes, Heart Disease, Social Security Disability ABUSE, and unpayable Health Care Costs to Build a HEALTHIER Nation. Unbelievable, the health of our Nation.

May 9, 2012 at 08:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • major difference

SIDEWALKS!!! not expensive and allow folks to walk to stores and other destinations. But No one suggests this, why?

May 9, 2012 at 09:01 | Report abuse |
    • pgh

Agreed! But politicians HATE paying to fix sidewalks, and although it's the homeowner's responsibility in many locations, they are too selfish to foot the bill. We have lots of sidewalks here in Pittsburgh but they are heaving, cracking, sinkholing and generally neglected because our city councilmen would rather pave the streets on which they live (this is actually how they decide which streets to pave in Pgh... been going on for years).

May 9, 2012 at 09:05 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

PGH, true, but outside of most cities there are none. One of the biggest problems is that sidewalks were never part of the builders plans when many suburban communities were originally designed. This is because you have the illusion of a country home, in a development of 60 to 100 homes, kinda silly isn't it?

May 9, 2012 at 09:08 | Report abuse |
    • Fit for Life

Are you blaming the builders for our obesity epidemic?

May 9, 2012 at 10:34 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

Fit, to an extent yes, folks keep saying that you can simply walk, however, if you live in the suburbs you do not have sidewalks, so walking is dangerous. You want folks to walk out into traffic and get killed?

May 9, 2012 at 10:55 | Report abuse |
    • excuses

major difference
      You are a prime example of the nations problem. You have one excuse after another. Instead of spending so much time coming up with excuses try doing something about it! A trip to the super market once a week picking upp fresh veggies, cleaning the, and putting into indiviual servings as a quick snap really does not take that much time. While at the super market park away from the enterence. Don't stalk someone in the parking lot for the closest parking spot. People like you are a big reason obesity contiunes to rise!

May 9, 2012 at 11:07 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

Actually I do all of the things that you suggest, but I can't lose weight with that activity level. I have to workout insane in order to lose weight. I do far away from the front of the store and I do eat plenty of veggies, however, if I can't get in an hour or 2 of intense workout, I just don't lose weight.

May 9, 2012 at 11:39 | Report abuse |
    • JT

sidewalks cost around $1 million dollars a mile, maybe more if you don't have the room for them. If you have a neighborhood that's 1 mile by 1 mile with around 10 streets each direction, that's 200 miles of sidewalk.

Even if you just paved half of them that would be extremely expensive.

May 9, 2012 at 12:02 | Report abuse |
  10. nolitarene

What I find strange is the cost difference between healthy and non healthy foods. if you compare prices at your local grocer the less healthy, salty, fatting foods cost more than healthy choices; and if you are among most Americans who are having to make the choice between required medications to live, gas for your vehicle to get to your job, health insurance, ect you will always go for what your budget can afford – so if the push for people on a whole to live healthier and tackle issues like weight….let’s start with affordable food choices

May 9, 2012 at 08:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • pgh

Yeah, agreed.... I hate hate hate spending such a huge chunk of my pay on groceries... But the way I justify it is that if I buy more produce and beans and less processed food and meat, I can stay off cholesterol and BP meds, which also cost a huge amount of money if you have to be on them for years. There are some strategies to keep the cost down: frozen produce, dried instead of canned beans, whole wheat products when on sale, etc, farmers markets. I was able to get off a BP med and gradually lose over 20 lbs by gradually integrating the healthier foods and crowding out the junk.

May 9, 2012 at 09:03 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

The problem is that you simply can't go into the average grocery store get a couple of things and get quickly out. Grocery stores are huge and largely inconveinant. You can spend at the minimum 30 minutes to get in and out of the average grocery store. That takes too much time.

May 9, 2012 at 09:11 | Report abuse |
    • Fit for Life

Are you kidding me? We eat too darn much – eating less costs less. There are so many healthy low cost options out there. People can afford it – but they choose not to, and because generally, eating poorly is more "comforting." More excuses.

May 9, 2012 at 09:29 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

Fit you are not getting what I am saying you can't get in and out of american grocery store. Long lines mean that you get home even later.

May 9, 2012 at 10:49 | Report abuse |
  11. David T

There are millions of autistic kids, veterans with ptsd and others who may not do well at a traditional job. Can new mini farms be created, across our nation, that may be a perfect fit for them? We need to grow healthy foods and bring them to market. Can new small businesses be created to help people, mentioned above, to make some extra cash growing these foods? Can some closed store fronts be reopened to sell these healthy foods as well? In addition, can some grocery stores be built with drive through service? As they say in business, it is all about location, location, location! Perhaps reopening these closed stores in underserved neighborhoods may be the way to go. Especially if you were to add drive through services. At the same time, you create many new jobs for autistic citizens and others...Any thoughts on this?

May 9, 2012 at 08:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. major difference

Why hasn't anyone suggested that we just build more sidewalks? In the city you have sidewalks, but if you go anymore than 20 miles out of the city, there are no sidewalks, therefore walking is very dangerous.

May 9, 2012 at 08:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • pwnagepimp

You are such a miserable excuse of a fat @$S.

You come up with one complaint after another and ALL of it is BS.

Wanna know what I, a healthy person, would do if I had an issue with running out of sidewalk? I would either a) turn around and go back the way I came or b) continue on in the grass.

What do you do? "Oh.. there isn't a sidewalk everywhere I go.. I'd better not even go at all."

You're such a miserable fat piece of garbage if you're going to sit there and complain about how hard it is to be healthy. Being healthy is the default state of being a human and people like you disgust me.

Everything you have said is an EXCUSE and DEFENSE MECHANISM for your slob lifestyle. Every single thing that you have said is a fat-persons-excuse. If I ever caught myself vomiting out the BS that you are posting on here I would be so ashamed of myself for selling myself short and for being the average disgusting-obese-food shoveling-american that so many people are turning into.

You're a sorry excuse for a human being if you're going to sit there and grasp at straws in hopes of defending your disgusting lifestyle choices.

Grow up and actually USE your body.... or do us all a favor and go die of a stroke.

May 9, 2012 at 14:12 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

Thanks for the motivation since I already lost weight in the first place. But hey you know everything. Like I said I lost over 100 lbs before. I just don't know how to get back to the same level of exersize that I had back some time ago. I used to live at the gym. It's just that now with with my job and my pregnant wife I do not have the same amount of time.

May 9, 2012 at 14:19 | Report abuse |
    • Ally

Gee pwnagepimp, maybe major difference is just interested in bringing out all of the excuses that so many Americans are using every day? At least the majority of his/her posts were not hurtful attacks. Like yours.

May 9, 2012 at 14:24 | Report abuse |
    • pwnagepimp

Oh wow it's the no time excuse again, how surprising..

If your goal is weight loss and you just CAN NOT do any physical activity – eat less food.
      If you find yourself getting hungry because you're eating less food – that's your body needing energy to lug all your tubbyness around all of the time.
      If you find yourself getting hungry because you're eating less food – start eating more nutrient dense meals instead.

If I remember correctly you were complaining about how awful it is to go to the store to buy healthy groceries... but that goes back to you making up excuses instead of coming up with solutions. Take the time to create a list of nutritious food (you could do it now instead of posting on CNN), go into the store with your list and grab the things. You say you have 4 hours every weekday and plenty more over the weekend. No excuses for not going to the store to buy nutritious food (that you should eat for breakfast and lunch).

You believe that nobody can workout two hours before bed?? There is no reason why cardio would be detrimental to your sleep. You say your wife is pregnant... did you two only ever boink each other two hours before bed? lol.. come on man stop with the excuses.

You don't find time because you've become too lazy to do the work. Think of your unborn child... do you want to carry around all that extra fat and have your child grow up worrying about the day their dad is going to keel over from a heart attack?

Look, I'm not a doctor (duh) and I don't personally know you but like I said – people like you make me SICK. You excuse poor behavior when those with abundant health and wellness cringe at reading your excuses. We know what we would do if we were in your situation because we've made our suggestions to you and you do nothing but sell yourself short.

Take your 4 daily hours and spend 20 minutes going for a run, or a bike ride, or a walk, or doing plyometrics, or yoga, or shooting hoops, or roller blading, or doing jumping jacks, or jumping rope, or ANYTHING. You have the time.

The only person you're fooling is yourself – we see through your crap.

May 9, 2012 at 14:56 | Report abuse |
    • Mark A.

@pwnagepimp what you said is right but you went about it the completely wrong way. If you want to help people you can't berate them and crumble their spirits you need to uplift and motivate people.

@major difference you need to ignore the crude, crass way that that person spoke to you and focus on the message. We all have a duty to ourselves to promote healthy living and it starts with ourselves. Health is a spiritual practice as much as it is a physical one.

May 9, 2012 at 15:09 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

pwnagepimp, nope you are just one of those self righteous folks who like to beat on their chest about how fit and healthy they are. You obviously can't read. I said that going to the grocery store takes up time, the person who posted said that there is time to exercise and I playing the opposing view, said that it takes too much time to go to the grocery store when you have a long commute. If there were places where you could just go in and get a couple of things and be out that's one thing but commuting from South Jersey into PA sucks. Someone gets into an accident on the Skullkyll and it instanly becomes a parking lot. I am sure the same problem exists in DC and other metropolitan areas. Like I said I lost weight before but just can't figure out the best formula to get back into things.

May 9, 2012 at 16:29 | Report abuse |
  13. Anonymous

No ammount of government regulation, subsidization, or interference with the type of food supplied in schools is going to overcome the over-availability of junk food, and the laziness of the average American. The hard truth is, until insurance companies stop covering treatment for people suffering from obesity related illnesses, there is zero incentive for Americans to get in shape. If a person's life depended on fitness, we would have a much healthier country!

May 9, 2012 at 08:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. major difference

Sidewalks, I still do not understand why folks don't suggest that communities build more SIDEWALKS!!!!!

May 9, 2012 at 08:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • excuses

People like you would still come up with reasons why they can't walk on the sidewalks! To long to go to the grocery store?!?!?!? Seriously! You are just ridiculous. You will come up with an excuse for absolutley everything. I guess its easier to make an excuse than get off your a.. and do something!

May 9, 2012 at 11:16 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

actually I would walk more if there were more sidewalks on the weekends. But hey you are better than me.

May 9, 2012 at 11:36 | Report abuse |
    • Rebecca

major difference: In the time you've been trolling this website/article, you could have done a lot of exercise. I honestly don't hear anything but excuses from you. You make time in life for the things that are important to you, period!

May 9, 2012 at 13:32 | Report abuse |
    • Ally

I have to agree with major difference on this one. My community has a city ordinance that does not require sidewalks to be put in when buildings are added. It's up to the property owner. This has resulted in a patchwork of areas with and without sidewalks. I can't map a run longer than about 1/2 mile from my doorstep to and end of any sidewalk. This is a silly way to plan a community IMO. And I've written our city board about fixing it. More sidewalks would encourage me to walk for any of my errands within a mile or two of home.

That being said, it's not an excuse. I have to drive myself to a park to run. But I could work additional exercise into my daily errands if the city infrastructure supported it better.

May 9, 2012 at 14:18 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

Rebecca when did I troll? Did insult anyone here or post anything that was intended to upset anyone? No, yet I have been called fat, lazy, slob, etc. So who's trolling? Me or the self-righteous types beating their chests about how fit they are. I am pointing out what many people feel that is an obsticle to being healthy. But if I have offended someone then I do apologize.

May 9, 2012 at 14:39 | Report abuse |
  15. AJupiterian

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the role of stress in obesity. If the government and country got itself on track and a majority of people could live financially comfortable – I would imagine our societies weight would go down as a whole. I know for me, I've worked full time and gone to school (undergraduate and now graduate) full time for the past 6 years. When I had a couple of months off of school or work (between jobs) my weight fell into a normal range. When I'm stressed, I hover in the overweight category, and no amount of exercise or healthy eating seems to help. Granted, I have never had to deal with anything more than an uncomfortable 20-30 pounds, I can clearly see the role that stress has played in my weight struggles.

Lets focus on the economy folks! Let's get our youth educated and our young adults working and our elders mentoring!

May 9, 2012 at 09:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dodd, T

The economy is making people fat?!? Maybe it's the double cheeseburger and large fries...

May 9, 2012 at 10:00 | Report abuse |
    • AJupiterian

Yes T. Dodd. If folks cannot get jobs, or good jobs, they are going to have elevated levels of stress which is a contributor to weight gain.

Additionally, when people are unable to afford the time and money to get to markets and buy healthful food, they will resort to prepackaged and fast foods which heavily market in underprivileged communities.

May 9, 2012 at 10:09 | Report abuse |
    • FiveLiters

You make a valid point-myself,and lots of other people are 'stress eaters',in that stress can trigger a reaction to consume more,or consume things you wouldn't normally eat (bad day at work? breakup? have a bowl of ice cream!). The key is realizing if you're one of those people and either finding an alternative to that behavior,or ,if you must eat something,have something less harmful (a handful of popcorn,nuts,etc). My other issue was,when I got bored,I would eat. Web-surfing,watching TV,etc. I'd find myself snacking. I cut that out for the most part,and it made a major difference.

May 9, 2012 at 11:27 | Report abuse |
    • Fit for Life

Not to be unsympathetic with the plight of many Americans caught in the economic downturn, but life is always going to throw curveballs, whether the economy is good or bad. Divorce, death, job, relationships, misfortune, etc. – things happen in life that you cannot control. However, how you treat your body, is completely within your control – and the better you treat it, the lower your stress will be, for several reasons, both physiologically, and mentally. People need to make health a priority and stop making excuses.

May 9, 2012 at 13:43 | Report abuse |
    • Toady

The obesity problem was in full force before the economy tanked. Please, get real.

May 9, 2012 at 15:44 | Report abuse |
  16. Wendy Thomson

While I agree that too many people allow themselves to become overweight/unhealthy, can we PULEEZE stop declaring "WAR" on everything? And while we are at it, allowing natural consequences to follow personal actions and activities is significantly more attractive that attempting to coerce/control anyone else's behaviors. If we as a nation expected more people to behave like adults we would end up with more people acting like adults. This treating everybody as if they are still in grade school is one of the root causes of our national ills.

May 9, 2012 at 09:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. dom625

What? It's unconscionable that these people are like this in the first place. People eat far too much and exercise far too little. I've heard tons of excuses–not enough time, nowhere to walk, etc. The fact is that if you find exercise important, you will make time for it. I do. I have a full-time job; I'm working towards a master's degree; I have a family to take care of. And yet I still find time for at least a forty-minute work out each day. And I don't need a gym membership. I work out in my home with my exercise videos and my hand weights. No sidewalks needed.

We need to start kids on true PE classes, the kind where you are expected to dress out in your regulation PE clothes and actually participate in activities. PE nowadays is simply kids sitting in the bleachers talking and doing homework; how is that in any way going to improve their fitness?

May 9, 2012 at 09:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fit for Life

Exactly – well put. Stop making excuses, stop blaming others, stop thinking that someone else or our government is the cause of this epidemic. Or that someone other than each of us can do something about it. It's up to the individual. People CHOOSE not to eat properly, and CHOOSE not to exercise.

May 9, 2012 at 09:33 | Report abuse |
    • pgh

RE: PE classes... yes, definitely need to re-introduce those, with rigor, many times per week. But they should let kids do things besides dodgeball and softball, because how many of us adults go on to enjoy such things later in life? For example, I would have loved to have had things like learning how to use weights and gym machines as a kid, or taken a bike ride on the nearest rails-to-trails, or gone to a local river and learned to kayak with my class. All of that stuff I do as an adult. I haven't played dodgeball since.... age 10?

May 9, 2012 at 10:35 | Report abuse |
    • dom625

pgh: There are a few issues with your thinking. Weight training is not generally recommended for the elementary/middle grades. The bones and muscles are still developing and excess weight can damage the joints. Perhaps a weight class could be introduced in high school. Bikes present logistical issues–how do we get them to school and where do we store them in school and what about the kids who do not have bikes? Same thing with the kayaks.

PE is more about just getting up and moving. When I was in school, we played kickball, dodge ball, soccer, or simply ran. On the rainy days, the PE teachers set up stations in the gym and we engaged in circuit training. All of the activities were extremely low-cost and could accommodate a large number of kids. Everyone was expected to dress out and to participate. We simply do not have this in schools anymore. And it's leading to a generation of severely overweight, out-of-shape kids. Bring it back!

May 9, 2012 at 11:34 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

I do not think that the average american diet is all different or that folks eat so much food. Really at most it's about 200 to 500 additional calories a day. But what folks do is starve themselves in the morning and then get make-up meals.

May 9, 2012 at 15:25 | Report abuse |
  18. Fit for Life

I certainly got fired up when I read this article, and even more fired up when I read all of the comments in this blog. With the exception of a few (dom625 for example), most of you just don't get it. You are making excuses, and blaming others for your lack of self control. You can have a heart attack at 55, I'm not; you can have weight induced diabetes, or some other medical disaster, I'm not. I'm not going be lying on my death bed in a hospital, holding my child's or wife's hand KNOWING that if I had taken better care of myself, I could have been with them another 20 years. THAT is exactly the choice you are making by not making your health a priority. Remember 70% nutrition, 30% exercise. I'm done with this blog. Good luck.

May 9, 2012 at 09:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ChrisCintheD

I am with you on the matter of personal responsibility, but I do not think the issue of access should be ignored.

Kids, for example, get very few options as far as food and activity goes. When I was in elemenatary school, we had gym class every other day and recess outside every day possible. By the time I reached high school, physical education was no longer required. This is common place nowadays. You have a generation of kids that simply are not accustomed to regular activity and home cooked meals.

I completely support efforts to improve access to healthy food choices and easier exercise options. Yes, the individual needs to decide to work out and eat healthy. Is it a bad thing for cities to install bike paths and sidewalks to make it that much easier to exercise? Is it a bad thing to make sure fresh fruits and veggies are affordable options, especially in Inner Cities where obesity rates are highest? If there are no safe places to walk and no healthy food choices avilable, being healthy is a difficult task.

May 9, 2012 at 11:07 | Report abuse |
    • Fit for Life

Sorry – I can't agree with you. Society can make all the "access" and "options" it wants – but it still comes down to individual choice and individual discipline. I would argue that most places are teeming with "access and options" – but people don't take advantage. It's not about "access and options" – it's about personal choices and priorities. Do you know what a "loser" is – not someone who "loses" – but someone who doesn't learn from a situation when they do lose. If I were obese and blamed the lack of sidewalks, bike paths and healthy food options on my weight – I would truly be a loser. However, if I actually took stock of my destructive behavior that made me obese and took positive steps to correct it – then I would be a winner. I feel like a lot of the former are posting to this blog.

May 9, 2012 at 13:35 | Report abuse |
  19. Matt

The problem is that people eat so much processed foods coupled with the lack of exercise.

Foods people should not eat: Anything with Flour, sugar... Anything that can cause a spike in insulin is bad.. Insulin is used in how the body stores fat, if your insulin resistant (eating to much processed carbs and sugars your whole life), then your going to store more fat overall because your body is producing more insulin that it needs to.

As for exercise, just get out and walk a few hours a week. People are just plain lazy. Honestly, these people who can't take care of themselves should front more of the bill in health care. Why should i have to pay more because obese people increase there risk.

May 9, 2012 at 09:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Victor

The fact is that even wth these CDC recommendations – which are good as far as they go – we are not addressing the fundamental shift in how we live and consume. Never before in history has high fat, calorie dense, overprocessed food been nearly as accessible and never before in history have the majority of the population made their living far from their home in sedentary desk jobs requiring little to no activity. It is not that our parents and grandparents were more fitness conscious,(I personnaly cannot even imagine my grandmother running around the block) it was just that they had to move around ro a living and cook their own meals. Until we address the fact that modern life will simply make the average person fat, we can rant and rave about more excercise, more healthy food, all we want, and only a limited portion of the population will make any changes. Unless you have an on your feet type job, the only way to be thin and healthy is to either have good genetics or make a very conscious effort and, in many communities, avoid the peer preasure of those around you who are making no effort at all. It can be done of course, but history has shown that anything which takes effort usually will not be understaken by the majority of people.

May 9, 2012 at 10:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fit for Life

"Until we address the fact that modern life will make the average person fat" – are you kidding me? So let's commission an expensive government study, maybe have Mrs. Obama lead it. And it will all boil down to the same thing – 70% nutrition and 30% exercise. Modern life will not change – we, as Americans simply have to adapt to it. Most people are simply not interested in making the investment in their health. I'm 50 years old, run marathons; bike 100 mile rides; run, jump, and play with my kids – all because I maintain my 6' 165pound body in the best shape I can by exercising and eating extremely well. I consider taking care of my body part of my daily routine that has to get done.

May 9, 2012 at 13:27 | Report abuse |
    • Victor

Sir (I assume)...I have no doubt you do all these things and are the picture of good health and I commend you. I am 43, fit, healthy, etc., however, my point was not to say that people cannot be healthy in modern society, but rather that being healthy in modern society takes either effort or good genetics in a way that was not required in past generations because work and the available food supply required that people stay semi-fit and thin. We can rant and rave about our fellow Americans being lazy and how that should change, but the fact is that people in general have always been lazy and will only move and avoid things that appeal to their sweet /salty tooth out of necessity. If we are to make any changes for the majority of Americans the necessity to move and eat right will need to return. I'm not sure how that is going to happen. I'm open to suggestions because I fear a lot of misery both now and in the future if things don't change

May 9, 2012 at 14:46 | Report abuse |
  21. aidee

24 hours in a day. 10 of those hours I'm working at my desk job so I can give my kids health insurance and live in a place wher eI can send them to a good public school. Three of those hours I'm communiting to work/picking up kids from school/taking kids to practice. Eight of those hours I'm sleeping (I hope). Ok, so I have three hours left to prepare a somewhat healthy breakfast and lunch for four (with help from my husband), give the kids the attention they need, help with the INSANE amount of homework they get, try to remember to give my husband the attention our relationship needs. Now let me squeeze in 1-2 hours of working out? I think we have the issue here, America. There's not enough time in the day.

May 9, 2012 at 11:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • excuses

I have 2 children, a spouse, work 40 hours a week, attended school 20+ hours a week, coach my childs sports team, and drive an hour a day. I still make sure my children and I get exercise and eat healthy. Try coaching your childs team instead of just dropping them off. I'm failing to see why you can't make it work. I just don't have sympathy for people I guess.

May 9, 2012 at 11:26 | Report abuse |
    • RED

Do you work 7 days a week?

May 9, 2012 at 11:47 | Report abuse |
    • Fit for Life

More excuses. When something is important to you, you do it. Do you want to look up at your children from your death bed, just having had a heart attack or stroke, knowing that if you had taken better care of yourself you could have prevented it? People just don't make taking care of their bodies and their health a priority.

May 9, 2012 at 13:21 | Report abuse |
    • Toady

You can try getting your husband to help out a bit more ...

May 9, 2012 at 15:51 | Report abuse |
    • Tired of the Excuses

@ aidee Have you ever thought about working out while the kids are in practice? While my son is practicing with his soccer team I use that as another opportunity to work out. There is plenty of time in the day, Its just not a priority to you. When you decide you really want to exercise, I am certain that you will find the time somewhere in your schedule to do it.

May 10, 2012 at 13:45 | Report abuse |
    • DAllen

fill 2 1-gallon milk jugs with water or sand and walk up and down your stairs or do arm lifts with them
      do push up and sit ups when you wake up and before you go to bed (literally takes 60 seconds)
      use the stairs instead of the elevators
      need to go somewhere under 2 miles? invest in a bike or walk
      get a jogging stroller and take your kids exploring through a park (they make double ones also)
      on your time off take family out and play some ultimate-frisbee (or other games) in the park
      stop buying processed foods and reach for fresh veggies and fruit (fruit in syrup is not halthy fruit or veggies in a can)
      eat fish and chicken instead of red meats
      watch out on how many carbohydrates you are eating (it is sugar for your body and if it isnt used as energy it turns to fat)
      stand in your room and do parallel squats
      do flutter kicks or reverse sit ups
      do bicycle sit ups
      invest in a stationary bike or treadmill and walk/run/bike for half an hour (this can create more energy for intimacy :0P )
      go outside and run for half an hour;make sure you push yourself force your kids/spouses to go also if not leave them behind
      invest in a BOSU and a How to book there are a lot of exercises you can do on those things
      buy insanity or zumba for xbox
      gardening or mowing the lawn is good exercise
      reduce stress as much stress as possible in your life
      NO SODA OR GATORADE! Not even Low-Calorie or Diet
      Have ONE cheat meal a week. Helps you stay on track. Keep it consistent say every Friday I get to have 2 cookies if I don't cheat any other days.
      Eat at least 1 low-fat yogurt a day for a snack (both my snacks a day are yopliat low-fat 100 calorie yogurts and water lots of water.
      their are tons of things that take literally minutes to do in a day and most are FREE or cost just a little. The trick is you have to stick with it and don't get discouraged if you don't see results as soon as you like. get rid of that scale and determine how much you are losing my measurement and how loose your clothes are fitting. use a food journal to help you see where you can cut calroies. it isn't ALL about exercise it is also about nutrition. They go hand in hand. Can't do one without the other.

May 10, 2012 at 22:20 | Report abuse |
  22. RBerger

How about the issue of HFCS and modified food starches being in everything you buy from bread to salad dressing. As consumers we need to start demanding that we be sold real food at resonable prices.

May 9, 2012 at 11:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Anand

There is no magic bullet for weight loss and healthy lifestyle. Companies who advertise for their products which makes you believe that by using their product you will loose weight. That is a big lie. You can not sustain the weiht loss!

If you are really determined to have a helathy life style. Start with eating healthy. Stop eating outside often. Try to prepare food at home. It is not only good for you but tt will bring your family togther to spend time at dinner time. Start exercising. May be go for 1 mile walk ever day initially.

Bottom line is you have to INITIATE a change in your life style for your better health.

Better helath better nation. That is the MANTRA

May 9, 2012 at 11:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • major difference

There are many folks who believe that there is. I have to work out a lot to lose weight, a 30 minute walk does not work and with my commute and other issues I have right now, I can't get the hours needed to lose weight. When I went from 335 to 225 all I did was exercise. I just don't the same amount of time to work out aggressively. Walking for 30 mins does not cut it.

May 9, 2012 at 11:51 | Report abuse |
    • Fit for Life

It's all about the food you eat, and the discipline to eat less and more nutritiously.

May 9, 2012 at 13:18 | Report abuse |
  24. Linda

Response to "Major Difference":

Long commutes have been a part of American life since the end of WWII and the spread of suburbia, but people weren't obese back then. Commuting is NOT an excuse for obesity. There are still options:

1) Invest in a treadmill, get up 20 minutes earlier, and use it!
    2) Work out by walking vigorously up and down the stairs in your house, apartment building, or place of work.
    3) Do some housework like scrubbing floors.
    4) Learn Yoga or Tai Chi that you can practice at home with videos. Some of these exercises can be done in the evening and will not interfere with your sleep.

All or any of those things, plus additional weekend workouts, will keep you in good shape and you might even need less sleep if you get in the habit of doing them.

May 9, 2012 at 11:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • major difference

No stairs, one floor building, sorry. Do housework, doesn't cut it.
      This is what works for me
      Spinning or riding my bike for about 1 to 2 hours works. But I don't have the same about of time to do so.

May 9, 2012 at 11:53 | Report abuse |
    • PawsUp1

Here's an idea major difference...EAT LESS

May 9, 2012 at 12:47 | Report abuse |
    • Fit for Life

Exactly – eat less. Are you not paying attention – great bodies are made in the kitchen, not the gym. And stop making excuses as to why you can't find some way to exercise.

May 9, 2012 at 13:16 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

dude you want me to reduce my diet to nothing? I am unfourtunately one of those people who have to exersize a lot in order to see a difference in body weight. I do not eat that much. The only that has worked is when I was able to work out about 2 hours a day. I simply do not have the time to do that.

May 9, 2012 at 14:26 | Report abuse |
  25. ksmahoney

Working out doesn't need to be done all out once. There is plenty of evidence that demonstrates if you can even get 30 minutes of walking total in your day, there are huge benefits. Just walk 10 minutes in the morning, 10 minutes at lunch and 10 minutes after dinner. Easy to fit in and it's free! http://www.losingtogether.com

May 9, 2012 at 13:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. RAW - FAST, EASY & CHEAP

@major difference
    From what I've gathered you work at a hospital? You said that your spouse and yourself are medical residents? 90% of hospitals that I have traveled to have on location FREE work out centers or offer a discounted membership to local facilities. So what is preventing you from working out on your lunch break or before/after work? I'm assuming you are full of it. As far as you having issues with your weight...stop eating poorly. Eat your fruits and vegetables and cut back on sugar, salts, and fats...BUT you already know this, you just choose not to do so.

May 9, 2012 at 13:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • major difference

Mainline health does not have that. I work as a programmer my wife is a Family Physcian (Resident), we both live in South Jersey but commute over to Outside of Philly everyday. I have been trying to figure out the magic formula, however, just haven't been able to get started. Before this I did work out 2 hours a day and lost 100 lbs, but now, I just can't get it done the same.

May 9, 2012 at 14:34 | Report abuse |
  27. yupyup

I think what really needs to happen is for people to eat less and healthier. I, like major difference, spend 3-4 hours in my car commuting. Unlike him however, I have made exercise a HUGE priority, as well as eating healthy. Sometimes I don't get home until 8 pm, but I suck it up and exercise then. I am doing Insanity and that's an hour max, burns 1000-1500 calories and leaves you so exhausted you will sleep no matter when you do it. I suggest you try that. In addition, I eat 5 small meals a day that I pack myself on Sunday. Yes, its a ton of work and I have to commit a couple of hours on Sunday to it. But its been worth it because I have already lost 25 pounds. I make food for the week and pack it up so I can reheat it if I don't have time later. I have completely cut out white starch and sugar. But this takes enormous will power and many people don't have it...but I think its the only way. Even if you can't work out, cutting the calories does work, but you have to cut WAY back and eat very healthy. If you're not losing weight, you're still eating too much of the wrong things. I liked the analogy with the dog, if you're dog is fat, you feed him less and less until he starts to slim down. You have to do the same for yourself.

May 9, 2012 at 13:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ally

I applaud your efforts! I need to point out one issue in your statement though.

It's not JUST about eating less. You need to eat healthy but you need to be eating enough calories to fuel your body. One of the reasons so many people become yo-yo dieters is because they're doing it wrong. You're never going to be able to sustain a drastically reduced calorie diet for long term.

Eat enough. Eat a healthy variety. Let the weight slowly come off. That's the best recipe for success.

May 9, 2012 at 13:45 | Report abuse |
    • Fit for Life

Good for you – keep up the good fight. The 1,000-1,500 calories an hour seems extremely high though.

May 9, 2012 at 13:46 | Report abuse |
    • major difference

I have tried that and did not sleep for 3 straight days. I guess I can't win.

May 9, 2012 at 14:55 | Report abuse |
  28. TheHealthSatoriProject

We are all heavily addicted to food and while our food is harmful we treat food addiction with sympathy and moderation. Do you think alcoholics are taught moderation? Alcohol is okay in moderation so why not promote alcoholics just have a couple beers instead of needing to quit. I'm not actually suggesting this just to be clear... Food is a drug that in small doses give us pleasure. We center family events, special occassions, and holidays around food. It's time for people to wake up and realize bad food is hurting and killing them. We need to stop treating this issue with moderation, it's no different than an alcoholic making excuses to have a few drinks. We can't even cure acne what in the world makes anyone think we know how to cure this epidemic? Check out TheHealthSatoriProject on facebook for a series of experiments meant to reveal the true nature of food's impact on our health.

May 9, 2012 at 13:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RED

A lot of people are heavily addicted to food. Not all people are. I only eat to live and do not have to eat when I'm not hungry. To say that all have this weakness is not true

May 9, 2012 at 15:02 | Report abuse |
    • TheHealthSatoriProject

Very few people aren't. Try going for just 4 weeks without consuming processed sugar, salt (to include sea salt), herbs, seasonings, oils, and any other chemicals. I ate very healthy and didn't consider myself a food addict until I started my experiments and ate nothing but 6.75 lbs of potatoes a day and water for 4 weeks. That completely changed my outlook on food. I realized that without taste there was almost nothing giving me incentive to eat – definitely not like I was used to anyway. My cholesterol also dropped from 182 to 99 in these first 4 weeks (the blood work and all is posted on the page). I did 3 dozen eggs a day for 4 weeks and I'm currently on week 2 of bananas. Trust me... We are all pretty much food addicts...

May 9, 2012 at 15:23 | Report abuse |
    • Victor

Great post! i agree that there is a huge emphasis on food in our culture and a failure to recognize that food creates a chemical reaction in most people similar to what an alcholic or drug addict feels. We need to demphasize food as being a required ingredient in all family functions, ballgames, TV watching, or all other adult interactions. Unlike an alcoholic who can make sure there is no booze in the house and avoid bars, a food-aholic will be tempted every time he/she stops for gas, goes into the office, drives down the street or spends time with the family. That is why we as a nation need to start making this a priority and become committed to changing the dialogue. It's not going to happen on its own.

May 9, 2012 at 15:29 | Report abuse |
    • Fit for Life

We are "heavily addicted to food" and we need to "demphasize food as being a required ingredient in all family functions, ect." – are you kidding me? People are heavily addicted to laziness and giving in to their urges. Food has been a "required ingredient" at special occasions for hundreds (and hundreds and hundreds) of years. Changing that isn't going to happen – be realistic and stop giving people YET ANOTHER EXCUSE to fail. It's about strength, willpower, knowledge, and determination.

May 9, 2012 at 16:35 | Report abuse |
  29. Ally

That is actually a true analogy. There are people who are actually addicted to food. This isn't EVERYONE, but some cases have been diagnosed. The problem is that while an alcoholic can step away, cutting the alcohol completly from his life; we all need food.

It's the equivalent of forcing a recovering alcoholic to drink a couple of times every day. But expect them to never "fall off the wagon". That's a big draw on will power.

May 9, 2012 at 14:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ally

Whoops! This was supposed to be a response to "the health satori project".

May 9, 2012 at 14:06 | Report abuse |
  30. glyder

i'm getting high blood pressure due to the constant nanny state "let me legislate you"mentality.go to hell.

May 9, 2012 at 15:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fit for Life

If what you are inartfully trying to convey is that people should more personal responsibility and stop relying on the government to pass some law or conduct some study to solve the obesity problem – I agree.

May 9, 2012 at 16:41 | Report abuse |
  31. Philip

Maybe if they made Big macs like $15 people would stop eating them.......I mean they put all these taxes on cigarettes to try and make it to expensive for people to smoke maybe they should do it with fast food.

May 9, 2012 at 16:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Fit for Life

Too involved, it wouldn't work. PLUS – people would find another way to poison themselves. It's about will power and commitment – and no amount of legislation is going to give that to you.

May 9, 2012 at 16:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Dolt Patrol

I'm sick of hearing the pessimistic dolts complain about the limited time they have. It's BS! If you want something bad enough, you'll make time! Like that TV show you HAVE to see on a nightly basis. Guess what? Now you can DVR your favorite shows, take a short trip the the gym, and watch whatever TV you want over the weekend. Have kids? No time to drive anywhere but your house and job? Invest in your health and buy some fitness equipment! Wake up an hour earlier and run for 30 minutes! Too poor to afford anything but your dire necessities?! Open your front door, walk outside, and go for a jog! I understand that SOME people work so hard, they basically live at their jobs. OK! BUT the vast majority of people do have free time they can use.

May 9, 2012 at 17:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Bernardo

Try, for one month, to avoid all sugars: in drinks, desserts, granola bars, etc.

I guarantee you'll lose many pounds. I went from overweight to OK in a few months.

May 9, 2012 at 18:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • websterkrawly

My daughter in law lost about thirty pounds in three months by cutting out sugar and salt in her diet. Much of it went in the first few weeks just from her shedding water.

May 9, 2012 at 18:49 | Report abuse |
  35. Darliene Howell

Studies show that dieting, even that considered “naturalistic”, among young people lead to weight cycling [Naturalistic weight reduction efforts predicted weight gain and onset of obesity in adolescent girls; http://ebn.bmj.com/content/3/3/88.full%5D

There is an evidence-based compassionate alternative to conventional dieting: Health At Every Size®. Please consider this alternative prior to making a decision that may result in weight cycling.

I would like to recommend the free NAAFA Child Advocacy ToolkitSM (CATK) and other written guidelines/resources to assist you looking at programs. The total health of our nation's children is a serious responsibility.

The NAAFA Child Advocacy Toolkit shows how Health At Every Size® takes the focus off weight and directs it to healthful eating and enjoyable movement. It addresses the bullying, building positive self-image and eliminating stigmatization of large children. Additionally, the CATK lists resources available to parents and educators or caregivers for educational materials, curriculum and programming that is beneficial for all children. It can be found at:

For more information on Health At Every Size, you can find a general explanation on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_at_Every_Size) or find in-depth research-based information in the book Health At Every Size – The Surprising Truth About Your Weight by Dr. Linda Bacon (http://www.lindabacon.org/HAESbook/).

May 9, 2012 at 18:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Jon

The federal government should ban free refills at fast food joints and require all soft drink bottlers to reduce the amount of sweetener (natural or artificial) by 10%. A few years down the road they can lower it another 10%, then another.

May 9, 2012 at 21:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fit for Life

Ugh – more worthless government intervention. If you ban the fee refills and require a reduction in the amount of sweetener, people will get their "fix" another way. People have to be responsible for themselves – that is the one and only solution.

May 9, 2012 at 21:32 | Report abuse |
  37. eroteme

Our problem might be solved if we were to adapt the slogan Fat is Beautiful.

May 9, 2012 at 21:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Fit Old Guy

It takes a considerable amount of self discipline, but well worth the effort. A decent balance of diet and sweating exercise increases the quality of life. It feels soooo good, but it may hurt to get to that point. Well worth it!

May 9, 2012 at 21:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Steve

If the goal is to be healthy (and not simply to weigh a certain amount), that goal is simply not achievable without exercise.
    It may very well be that you cannot find the time you need to exercise in a way that contributes to weight loss, but every second you spend exercising (well, up to a point) will improve your health. If all you have is five minutes, exercise for five minutes. Five minutes is better than zero minutes.

Healthy living isn't simply about the number on the scale.

That said, there are plenty of ways to burn more calories while engaging in your daily routine. If you have a desk job, try standing instead of sitting. If you need to spend time thinking up a solution to a problem, go for a quick walk while you think (getting your blood flowing may even make your brain work more efficiently).

Yes, these changes are going to burn calories at a pretty glacial pace. But think of it like this. How many years did it take you to pack on the extra pounds? Divide that extra weight by the number of years and multiply by 10, and you'll have the extra number of calories you needed to burn every day to avoid gaining weight.

In the case of the vast majority of overweight people, that's going to be less than 50 calories, which is what you'd burn by walking briskly for 10 minutes a day.

Most of us, if we're honest with ourselves, could find 10 minutes a day.

May 10, 2012 at 00:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fit for Life

Exercise is an important component, to be sure. But 99% of the problem out there involves the nutrition. People just don't get that.

May 10, 2012 at 08:15 | Report abuse |
  40. JP

I sit here and read these comments from people saying they don't have anytime to exercise... Scrolling down the page its just the same people commenting over and over. Stop whining and spending hours of your time commenting and go for a walk already!!

May 10, 2012 at 06:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. COD

War.
    Recommendations for individuals, schools, government and industry today...
    Seal Team Six goes after Twinkee the Kid tomorrow.

The committee reviewed more than 800 obesity prevention recommendations...
    800???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

let's drag the IRS into the War!

Oh well, got to get in the car and drive to the health club that Blue Cross will be forced to pay for and swipe my card so I get smart meter credit for walking on the treadmill.

Can't get that Gator stuff for the halfway point of a training century in 90 degree heat with a 20 knot headwind off the Atlantic anymore, so got to go to that health club with the solar and wind powered AC system and server farm to report what I do.

But maybe if I invest in the right companies that run the clubs, make the treadmills and the sugar free water that will cost $5.00 per 1/2 liter...

May 10, 2012 at 09:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Sara

Besides lack of physical activity the other main problem is the type of foods. When you eat non-nutritional foods, it takes more food to make you feel satiated even though the foods are high in fats and carbs. Eat more nutrient dense foods and you will find you are full and satiated compared to eating fatty fried processed foods which shouldn't even be called food.

May 10, 2012 at 09:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Serious Person

It IS a choice. I work full time and have two kids. I workout on my lunch break, not because I want to, but because I'm not getting up at 4am and I'm busy with the kids after work. It's that or nothing so I do it. My kids play hockey most of the year and also play soccer. Our first choice for fast food when it's necessary is Subway. Yes, my kids ( 9 & 10 yo) will choose Subway over McDonalds and they actually put more veggies on their sandwich than I do. It IS a choice and it is what you teach your kids. My kids know it's milk with breakfast, lunch, and dinner -period. For a special occassion they can have root beer, but it's not the norm. My kids don't even ask for soda because that's the norm in our house. It's all about choices and we need to quit blaming others when we pick the lazy choice. There's certainly people that make better choices than me, but last I checked, we ALL have 24 hours in our day and we ALL get to choose how to spend them. We ALL also get to choose what goes in our mouths.

May 10, 2012 at 10:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Tphillips

As a former fat man, I have little sympathy for those who choose to blame anything but themselves for being obese. All the information is out there online, there is no excuse for any adult to be fat except lack of willpower or motivation.

May 10, 2012 at 14:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. DAllen

It is all about what children learn at an early age. It starts with PARENTS not teachers or anyone else. PARENTS or GUARDIANS. It is simple and doesn't take much more effort than anything else. My son is 2 and I go running with him in his jogging stroller almost everyday after work. He loves it. He loves being outside and stays outside majority of the day. I cook almost every night for dinner and I know at daycare he is getting healthy food. Parents/Guardians need to start being parents and guardians and teaching children when it right. I once saw a picture of vegetables and it said
    "Eat Organic or what your grandparents called FOOD!"

May 10, 2012 at 21:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. happy

OVER WEIGHT (((((((((((((( KILLS )))))))))))))))))))

May 10, 2012 at 23:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. robes de mariée

Simply want to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity to your publish is simply excellent and that i can assume you're a professional on this subject. Fine along with your permission let me to seize your feed to stay up to date with drawing close post. Thank you a million and please carry on the enjoyable work.

May 11, 2012 at 08:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. William L. Wilson, M.D.

Although “The Weight of a Nation” focuses a light on a serious national health crisis, I agree with Gary Taubes that this effort will be unsuccessful because it focuses on the same old tired remedies for obesity that clearly are not working—reducing calories and increasing physical activity.

Let me explain. Although consuming excessive calories can cause you to store more fat, calories are not the actual cause of excessive fat storage. If you eat the right kinds of food you can consume a broad range of calories without storing extra fat.

Our current obesity epidemic is driven by the consumption of two food elements: excessive fructose mainly from sucrose (sugar) and high fructose corn syrup and high glycemic carbohydrates mainly from grains. It is now clear that excessive fructose is the primary driver of insulin resistance and central obesity. When you have insulin resistance and consume high glycemic carbohydrates your brain is subjected to magnified glucose spikes. Because high levels of glucose are toxic to nerve cells, over time these glucose spikes trigger a chronic brain disorder called Carbohydrate Associated Reversible Brain syndrome or CARB syndrome. Because the brain plays a critical role in auto-regulating total body fat stores people with CARB syndrome begin to store extra fat even as they lose lean body mass from dieting.

Thus a calorie is not a calorie. To solve our obesity epidemic we need to change the type of food people are eating. Learn more at http://carbsyndrome.com.

May 14, 2012 at 17:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Thomas Bates

While I agree that health is an important concern in our lives, I have a big problem with people who try to impose their will on the health choices I make. In New York they are trying to pass a bill that will make it illegal to sell sugary soft drinks over 16oz. to people in restaurants and public establishments. I believe this country was passionately founded on the principles of LIFE,, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of HAPPINESS. Give me Liberty, or give me death.A cry passionately delivered to help establish a government wich should enrich and preserve those principles. How dare anyone try to take away our freedom of choice by saying that we shouldn't have it because we make what they feel are bad choices?I don't care I would much rather live in a country of unhealthy people by choice, than live in a country of almost everyone healthy, but not by their choice! Ben Franklin looked to be very overweight, and very happy about it!. He devoted his life to make sure of it too! Thank You Ben, and every other Fat Founder for the freedoms we still enjoy today!!

May 31, 2012 at 08:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Join Scentsy UK Sell Scentsy UK Become a Scentsy Consultant Canada Sell Scentsy from Home Sell Scentsy Candles Online Sell Candle Make Money Sell Candles from Home Start a Candle Business Online Work from Home Legitimate Work from Home Business Opportunit

I found this site by accident, but was interested to see this post! I'll be back! Cheers!

June 20, 2012 at 03:35 | Report abuse | Reply