home
RSS
U.S. ranks lower than Iraq, Afghanistan on this list
May 2nd, 2012

U.S. ranks lower than Iraq, Afghanistan on this list

There are few places that illustrate the fragility of life better than a neonatal intensive care unit.  Premature babies, hooked up to tubes and monitors, their tiny legs sticking out of the smallest of diapers: it's a sight can bring tears to your eyes and a prayer to your lips.

One in 10 children are born prematurely every year around the world.  That comes to about 15 million babies.

You may think developing countries like Belarus and Libya have more preemies than the United States. Think again.

A new study - the first of its kind - ranks preterm birth rates around the globe. The United States comes in at 131 on the list of 184 countries.

According to the new report, Born Too Soon: The Global Action Report on Preterm Birth, twelve in every 100 babies born in the U.S. are premature. Belarus has the lowest preterm birth rate in the world (4.1 in 100) while Malawi has the highest (18 in 100).

More than a million premature babies die each year. It's the No. 1 cause of death among newborns. And it's a major health concern because babies born prematurely can have breathing problems, cerebral palsy and intellectual disabilities.

"This report should be a call to action," says Chris Howson, vice president for global programs at the March of Dimes, one of the groups behind the report. "We are one of the countries with one of the highest survival rates, but we are not leading in preventing preemies."

So why is the premature birth rate higher in the U.S. than in countries like Iraq and Afghanistan

Howson says it's largely because women are having babies later in life, the increased use of fertility drugs and more C-sections and inductions.

Another thing at play, says Howson, is the lack of care some women - in particular minorities - get during pregnancy. For example, if diabetes is diagnosed early, it can be treated more successfully.  That, according to Howson, doesn't happen enough.

"It is absolutely critical that we provide the services that make it accessible to all women in this country, especially in the early stages of pregnancy," he says.

The study also looks at American premature births state-by-state.  Funding the report were the Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health, Save the Children and The World Health Organization.

1. Blair Melikyan

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

June 12, 2021 at 17:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Silvia Pauline

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life articles and blogs

June 12, 2021 at 20:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Richard Duckhorn

I don't know about you guys but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/11/koito-seats-update-three-eva-air-boeing-777s-at-paine-going-into-service/

June 13, 2021 at 06:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Brittni Eyrich

I don't know about you all but I love airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/05/buys-ads-on-overhead-bins-napkins-barfbags-lavatories-and-much-more/

June 13, 2021 at 21:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jess Marinello

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life articles and blogs

June 15, 2021 at 07:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Micah Avellar

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a online game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

June 21, 2021 at 20:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Raymon Ogbonnaya

Great website. Thank you for the information how to study for spanish

June 25, 2021 at 13:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. LISA DONALDS

CRYPTO RECOVERY IS VERY MUCH REAL, AM A LIVING TESTIMONY!!!!

I was actually fooled and scammed over ( $753,000 ) by someone I trusted with my funds through a transaction we did and I feel so disappointed and hurt knowing that someone can steal from you without remorse after trusting them, so I started searching for help legally to recover my stolen funds and came across a lot of Testimonials about Mr. Morris Gray, an agent who helps in recovery lost funds, which I can tell has helped so many people who had contacted him regarding such issues and without a questionable doubt their funds was returned back to their wallet in a very short space of time, it took the expert 48hours to help me recover my funds and the best part of it all was that the scammers was actually located and arrested by local authorities in his region which was very relieving. Hope this helps as many people who have lost their hard earn money to scammers out of trust, you can reach him through the link below for help to recover your scammed funds and thank me later.
    Email Address: MorrisGray830 AT Gmail DOT com.

November 20, 2022 at 20:34 | Report abuse | Reply