home
RSS
April 17th, 2012

The beat goes on for music producer diagnosed with multiple sclerosis

Editor's noteIn the Human Factor, we profile survivors who have overcome the odds. Confronting a life obstacle – injury, illness or other hardship – they tapped their inner strength and found resilience they didn't know they possessed. This week Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta introduces us to Noah “40” Shebib, a music producer who was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in his early 20s.

Q: What was it like to receive that diagnosis as such a young man?

A: It started with sensory issues. I woke up one day and all the temperature in my body was distorted. My sense of hot and cold and what that meant to my brain was very confusing.  Any time something like that happens to your body - which is very difficult to explain when you have MS - is that your brain is tricked, so your nerves are telling you something that's not true.  Any time your brain is telling you something that's not true, there's a little bit of trauma for your body in general to understand what's going on, so you're a little bit in shock.

I went to the hospital very quickly after that and was diagnosed within a couple of weeks. It continued to escalate to a much worse place in a month, and I spent the next two years of my life getting back on my feet.

Gallery: See exclusive photos of 40 and Drake

Q: What exactly were your sensory problems like?

A: It's a funny story. My leg was just on fire when I woke up one day. I was at the studio. I had fallen asleep and had woken up at 2 o’clock in the afternoon the next day, and my first initial thought was, “Oh, I must've fallen asleep by the heater or something.  My leg is really hot.” Then I got in my car and the floor heater was only on, on the left side. I thought, “That's interesting.”

You know, you have all these other explanations except that your brain is telling you something that's not true.  Then I get home and I sit down at my computer, and I'm thinking the heater is just blasting hot air down there. “Where is that heat coming from?”  Then I put on my boots and I said, “Oh my god, this boot is really hot.  This boot must've been beside the heater.”

You always have an explanation, and of course it led me to understand that something was definitely wrong, which led me to the hospital, and as I said - by the end of that month - I was off my feet and not walking.

Q: What was it like to be off your feet, unable to control your own body?

A: I would say it was inspiring, as bizarre and twisted as that may sound.  I tried to see the best light of it and how I could use it to my advantage.

In an almost shallow twisted way, I said, “I’ve got this disease I'm going to live with it.  I'm going to win with it and my story is going to be that much better when I get there.”  I made that decision very early on in my diagnosis.

I remember lying in my hospital bed and they have the little table they swing across your bed to put your meal on, and I quickly put my meal on the chair beside me, put my laptop and the little keyboard, and went directly to work in the hospital bed.  Luckily enough for me, I don't think anything will ever be able to stop me from making music.

Q: What’s the hardest part of dealing with your disease?

A: I think one of the biggest struggles people with MS face is trying to define it to people and explain how it manifests itself.  It's very difficult, you know.  This morning I had to lie down on my bed to get my socks on because I couldn't bend over. You know, that's not something I tell anybody.  Then the things that I deal with on a daily basis are usually pretty miniscule, so I keep them to myself, but they add up, and it's hard for people to understand that.

So I'll say to someone, “Oh, I can't do that today.  They’ll say, “Yeah, but you were playing basketball with us yesterday.”  They don't understand why or how, and it doesn't make sense to a lot of people.  It's very difficult to grasp the concept.

People are confused, so they result to the obvious answer. "Oh well, that's probably because this happened.  Oh, that happens to everybody. Everybody's tired today.  Oh, we've all had a long week."  That's the most frustrating thing for me in the world, because you're taking for granted how hard I work to be on this level with you.

I try to stay quiet about that stuff.  I don't need to have a parade about how hard I'm working.  It's just exhausting explaining to people what you have to deal with if you're trying to keep it quiet and just trying to live a normal life.

Q: People ask why don’t you just try harder, get a little more sleep, or have another cup of coffee?

A: It's funny, you know, one of the things I deal with is sports.  I played hockey my whole life.  When I was diagnosed, I was probably on the ice 5 or 6 times a week at that time.  I haven't really stepped on since.  Every few years, I stop myself and say, "What are you doing?  Why don't you go play some sports?  Stop being such a baby!  Get out there!"

The first time I did that, I was on the ski kill and got stuck halfway down because my legs went numb on me.  I was on the snow for about 40 minutes before my friends came and rescued me and dragged me down the hill.  Then another couple years go by and I think to myself,  "What are you doing? Come on!  Go play some hockey!"  I jump on the ice and skate with some friends and then don't walk for a week after that.

I'm constantly forgetting even myself what the repercussions of my disease are.  I'll be like, "Come on! Get up! You can do this!"  So not only is it difficult for someone else to understand, it's also difficult for me to understand.

1. betty

I have a sister with MS. She has a lot of the same issues. Her husband tells her she just needs to exercise more and build her strength up. If it were just that simple! Many people do not understand MS and the problems it causes.

April 17, 2012 at 06:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • george

THIS DISEASE AFFECTS US ALL SO DIFFERENTLY. I THINK ONE KEY POINT HE MENTIONS IS "AS LONG AS IM ON MY FEET" THIS REALLY MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE...I APPRECIATE HIS FIGHT AND COMING OUT FOR ALL OF US SUFFERS

April 17, 2012 at 13:56 | Report abuse |
    • jjheinis

My sister died as a result of MS. Not a happy prognosis

April 17, 2012 at 16:35 | Report abuse |
    • B.

MS is no picnic. I just wish the FDA would hurry up and add sativex as a normal prescription like all the European countries and Canada etc. have done. It is a proven "pause and reverse" button. People in the US have just been so brainwashed about the natural help God gave us. Most medications are chemical deviants of a natural herb. Look up sativex you will learn which herb I am talking about. It does work the companies just don't want to stop selling their expensive shots. BTW- I take the same amino acids (yes that is what is in copaxone) as the shot. They are working well enough. The terrible other medicine has thrown a pause button on spms. Good luch with whatever you find that helps.

April 17, 2012 at 16:52 | Report abuse |
    • B.

I am sorry, I hope your sister find something to help her. My husband doesn't understand either. When the signal gets messed up, having strong legs isn't going to make them keep you standing. Been there done that. But execise is good to help us stay in better shape. It just won't stop us from falling down. 😦

April 17, 2012 at 16:55 | Report abuse |
    • Bonnie

I have MS and what is true is some people do not understand that one day your feeling not to bad then the next day you do not feel very good. When you hear things like i have MS and i can do this or that , why can you not do it .Take time to read about MS not all people have the same symptoms.Their are days when i can hardly get up and go to work, but i do.May God Bless MS people, and anyone else with an illness.

April 18, 2012 at 20:31 | Report abuse |
  2. Sandy Ceppos

I was diagnosed with MS twenty five years ago at age 32 and it's been a roller coaster ride. With the exception of my family; few people in my life know I have MS. MS can be too difficult to explain, so I just keep things to myself. I have found that I'm at my best in a controlled environment, so I'm extra careful about balancing rest and exercise.

April 17, 2012 at 06:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Bob

My wife has an autoimmune disease and the only medication that has really helped her is low dose naltrexone .This is the wonder drug doctors do not want to prescribe because it will put them and pharmaceutical companies out of business.

April 17, 2012 at 06:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Come on Bob

Bob, naltrexone is an opiod receptor antagonist and is used for people that have overdosed on herion (an opiod) and is also used for people to overcome their addiction to opiods and works for alcohol dependence too. I've never heard of it being used for autoimmune disease. If it works for your wife great! However, the fact is maybe it isn't actually doing anything for your wife and she just happened to go into remission the same time she started taking naltrexone. They may have done studies on naltrexone's effect on autimmune disease even though it doesn't make much sense why naltrexone would have any effect at all on any autoimmune disease. I mean really man? You think all Doctors and Pharmacists are all in on a huge conspiracy with Big pharma companies to make money? Really? Just stop Bob! Stop thinking before you hurt yourself!

April 17, 2012 at 13:13 | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

To Come On Bob,
      You should do your own research before commenting. Naltrexone is a moderately common alternative in patients with mild relapsing-remitting disease. The biggest obstacle is sleep disturbance, and blocking of pain receptors such that narcotic pain meds no longer have an effect. No one treatment is the answer for every person with this disease, but "approved" pharmaceutical therapies range in cost from $800-$10,000 a month and that is out of reach for non-insured patients or people with high deductibles and limited plans. Don't be so quick to dismiss naltrexone, or omega III and Vitamin D high dose therapy if people find that it works for them.

April 17, 2012 at 13:31 | Report abuse |
    • dimitri

Ok Rachel, read Bob and Come on Bob response again. You will see that Come on Bob makes a valid point; his information is correct and he was not being dismissive.

April 17, 2012 at 13:52 | Report abuse |
    • ChrisAH

...."if people find that it works for them."
      Rachel, you misunderstand cause and effect, and the concept of "knowing" something (in scientific or any other terms). You cannot say if it works for them, because you cannot determine from a sample size of 1 if it is that thing, thing X, that is having the effect. I could just as easily argue it was some other confounding factor in Bob's wife's life that was contributing to her remission, and I would have JUST as much evidence supporting my hypothesis as you or Bob or Bob's wife would have supporting the notion that naltrexone is fighting off her autoimmune syndrome: ZERO. Temporal associations are just that: temporal associations. They do not in the least, in anecdotal accounts, lead one to a position where he or she can claim to "know" that this drug/substance is "working for them." In order to say we "know" this this thing is working, we'd have to have hundreds of Bob's wife and split them into two groups, and we'd have to carefully orchestrate an experiment where we control for things that can affect the outcome either by eliminating them or incorporating them into our statistical analysis, and change nothing between the two groups save the presence or absence of that one substance. Anecdotes do not do this. You can NOT say "this worked FOR THEM" and not be violating basic laws of logic, inference, and cause and effect.

Naltrexone has not been shown to do anything that Bob is talking about. It is an opioid receptor antagonist used for long term prevention of opioid dependence and tolerance. Further, the idea proposed by Bob that somehow physicians and the pharamaceutical companies are in bed with each in this grand scheme to screw patients by holding back on the wunderdrug naltrexone is just beyond ludicrous. From what misinformed, warped depths these conspiracy theories are spawned from, I will never know.

April 17, 2012 at 13:56 | Report abuse |
    • Shirley Renshaw

Come on people!

The operative word here is "LOW" ... it is "Low Dose Naltrexone". The amount used is on an average 1/10th of a 50 mg dose. http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/

April 18, 2012 at 14:58 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

This is Bobs wife and in response to Come on Bobs comment you missed the part where it dais LOW DOSE that's the key. Hey if you don't want to accept this it's no problem with me, but others whom are using LDN know how effective this treatment is. I surely can't speak for anyone else bit I can for myself and I can tell you I was at my worst when I started LDN and had not experienced any rem mission of my disease until I started on LDN. I thank Dr. Bihari whom experimented and started his patients on this treatment, although he has passed I thank god for his contribution to his research, because without LDN I would be in extremely bad condition. Good luck to all and always keep an open mind to other things that can be beneficial to you despite negative comments and negative opinions!

April 20, 2012 at 08:15 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

This is Bobs wife, Again, Bob wrote LOW DOSE Naltrexone which(Naltrexone in LOW dosage) is the key. Read carefully Low Dose. Naltrexone in high dosages helps addicts. Dr Bihari discovered Naltrexone in low dosages to be effective for people with various autoimmune diseases not only MS. This medication has minimal side effects in comparison to several other medications which I have tried, what I can't comprehend is why do the doctors start with the medications which severe side effect and don't prescribe this medication first. Most doctors have never heard of LDN and don't want to even consider LDN as possible option. For those of you that would like to consider LDN as an option, I encourage you to read and educate yourself on this medication first, then speak to your doctors and see if they are willing to prescribe LDN and if they are not look for a doctor with an open mind who will. Always consult the interactions with other medications with LDN and see if you can incorporate it to your plan. LDN is a compounded medication and needs to be ordered to a pharmacy that specializes in compounding medication, which can easily be found in the Internet. Do not be discouraged if it is a bit daunting it is well worth the effort and time! For those of you with a different opinion I respect your thoughts. But I can tell you that this medication has been my life savior and has helped me not be constantly changing medications because they are either ineffective or have produced horrible side effects, and it's also reduced substantially the amount of doctor's visits I have to go to, this could obviously explain why some doctors would not prescribe LDN or are unwilling to get educated on LDN. Naltrexone which is used to derive LDN from is no longer patent; therefore, There's no big Money to be made with with LDN which equals to no advertising, no substantial profit.

April 20, 2012 at 11:18 | Report abuse |
    • beth

Why is it that so many claim that the drug companies that make the DMD's are just out to make money when they do so much to help people who cannot afford the medication that they need? All of them have programs to help with copays, and to help with the cost of the drug when a person doesn't have insurance that covers it or if they can't afford it for any other reason.

April 21, 2012 at 05:21 | Report abuse |
  4. Jampy

My husband was diagnosed with MS at the age of 28...9 months into our marriage. To say the least our lives changed completely after that. To deal with it, I took it head on by educating myself and understand what it is. The only way I could cope is to be able to understand it, so I could explain it to others. I cried for months...but understood this was the life we have been given, and have accepted it since. Thanks to the grace of God and lots of positivity my husband is on MS medication, he trains martial arts and is fully functional...I always say..as long as you can walk, talk and see me...we can do anything. I don't know what the future holds..and that's probably the hardest pill to swallow...but for now, we focus on what we can do, which is LIVE and LIVE TO THE FULLEST!!! Because I just don't know where we will be some day, hopefully in a good place. To those out there that have it, stay positive, strong and always smile even when you want to cry!

April 17, 2012 at 08:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Renee Livious

I agree with you Jampy. I was diagnosed in August of 2011 and I still do all the activities that I did before the diagnoses. I bowl twice a week and shoot pool in APA once a week. While I don't exercise as much as I need to, my life has not really changed all that much. I take my shots 3 times a week (which I hate) and keep it moving. MS affects people differently so maybe I'm just lucky or don't worry about what will happen if I do something.

April 18, 2012 at 10:12 | Report abuse |
  5. Team Fearless

He should check out this site.

April 17, 2012 at 10:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. John B.

This is a great story, and the National MS Society is a great organization. This is a condition which can be very managable, and Noah is right, the biggest thing the general public can do other than offer their financial support to doctors and caregivers is to understand what MS is and how it affects you. It is an invisible condition, but for those who have it, it is very real and can be very scary. Support and positivity go a long way, and the more of those two things that can be given, the better the quality of life for MS patients.

April 17, 2012 at 11:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Jason Prairie

Get the mercury out of your brain and you will no longer have MS...it shouldn't be called multiple sclerosis, it should be called Mercury Symptoms....make damn sure you don't get any flu shots (contain mercury) because those are the beginning to most people's MS.

April 17, 2012 at 11:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike McHale

What an ignorant post

April 17, 2012 at 11:49 | Report abuse |
    • 1twinsfan

I have never had a flu shot yet I've had MS for over 14 years.

April 17, 2012 at 12:03 | Report abuse |
    • Jenn

And where did you get your evidence of this....The Onion News Network? Please post validated proof from a reputable source before making such ignorant obnoxious allegations.

Y'bonehead.

April 17, 2012 at 12:20 | Report abuse |
    • AngelM

As usual, those who know the least, know it the loudest.

April 17, 2012 at 12:20 | Report abuse |
    • Mercury Rising

This just in, get some wrinkles in YOUR brain by actually studying things before spitting out crap information and you wouldn't make such ignorant blanket statements.

April 17, 2012 at 12:21 | Report abuse |
    • guest

Really? I unfortunately don't have any other words. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

April 17, 2012 at 12:46 | Report abuse |
    • Joe Y

I completely agree. Anyone that calls your post ignorant is a brain washed tool. The flu shot was just an example. Look in your mouth...amalgam fillings have plenty of mercury. For those of you crying for scitentific evidence that mercury causes MS, are the same people that run to the crooks at the FDA for your "evidence". Thanks for posting this Jason and dont worry about these sheeple... they are just following the rest of the herd.

April 17, 2012 at 12:50 | Report abuse |
    • photogoddess

As someone with MS, I am appalled by your comment. How dare you tell me that my condition is the result of mercury. You have no idea what it's like to wake up and have to get out of bed slowly because you have no idea that maybe today is the day your legs won't work and you will fall straight to the floor. You have no idea what it's like to be so exhausted that you are unable to function. You have no idea what it's like to constantly lose a grip on things you are attempting to hold. You have no idea what it's like to feel so dizzy for three weeks that you can't go to work, take care of your family, or even get out of bed.

Go get informed.

April 17, 2012 at 13:00 | Report abuse |
    • Joe Y

photogoddess – Your comment makes no sense. How can you discredit mercury and then run on talking about your symptoms? Yes, we may not have an idea how it feels, but why are you appalled by the comment? Maybe you should stop being a sheep and actually understand how the crap in our food/water etc impacts our physiology. An appalling comment would be that you have mercury because you chose to, not because of mercury toxicity. Going on and on about your symptoms does not eliminate the probability that your too have mercury toxicity. Stop complaining about his post and go get detoxified, stop eating dairy, processed foods, gluten and get yourself back to health.

April 17, 2012 at 13:27 | Report abuse |
    • bluman

Actually, Jason, Aspartame was the beginning of my MS. Lots of people like to blame Mercury for a lot of stuff– but as you can see that research is slowly dying because they are unable to prove anything. There's no Mercury in most of these things any more. There's no Mercury in fillings anymore. No doctor will admit to any one thing being the cause of MS- because there is no proof. My neurologist would never admit to aspartame setting off my MS. But I know it is. So, Jason. If you can show us the medical facts of Mercury being the true culprit, I'm sure someone would pay you big bucks for your proved research.

April 17, 2012 at 13:35 | Report abuse |
    • bluman

Joe- I've done all those things-and guess what?? I still have MS!! Go figure.

April 17, 2012 at 13:37 | Report abuse |
    • Lola

My great great grandmother had a child with what appeared to be MS, it runs in my family and people didn't know back then about the disease. That was long before flu shots or modern medicine.

April 17, 2012 at 13:37 | Report abuse |
    • Joe Y

bluman – Post your exact protocol so we can see what you "did". People like to say they are taking their vitamins too and when you ask what source, they say Walmart brand. So guess what! All the stuff you did... was probably a half ass'd attempt. I know two people that did exactly that and eliminated aspertame as bluman above indicated and they have ZERO symptoms. So, paste your detailed detox and diet protocol for everyone to see before you begin to discredit what I said.

April 17, 2012 at 13:50 | Report abuse |
    • bluman

Joe- going on 2 years (1 year 10 months) of dairy free, gluten free, daily exercise regimen (running, lifting), no processed foods, get all my fish from places like Whole Foods. I grow many of my own veggies so I know where they are coming from. work with an acupuncturist for a vitamin regimen- that has been tweaked over and over (I'm down to basics because when I'm eating well, I'm getting what I need and shouldn't be adding too much more to my system – that just causes more symptoms) - I'd say I live a pretty healthy lifestyle. Tried lots of different detoxes (a metal detox, that cool intestinal detox that makes you poop out that braid of crap, fruit detoxes). But I still have MS. And I still battle daily issues. That's awesome that what I've done has worked for others. I hope they stick to it. But for whatever reason, it's not working for me– at least not yet. I'm only 43. I was diagnosed when I was 28. Been trying different health changes ever since. I know what people shouldn't put into their bodies- whether they are sick or not. I plan on sticking to this, though- tweak it– and find the thing that's going to get rid of these symptoms. It just hasn't happened yet. I even tried going without MS meds for a while to see if maybe they were doing more harm than good- but I saw way more symptoms when I wasn't shooting up. What is it I"m not doing?

April 17, 2012 at 16:26 | Report abuse |
    • WHHuang

That's not true. From a scientist's point of view, at least I can speak for the current understanding of MS, it is cause by genetic factors combined with environmental factors (but nor Mercury for sure). The problem with drug development is that all the current animal model do not mimic human condition (which is sporadic). The mouse models are "induced MS", so it may looks like MS, but it's not.

April 17, 2012 at 17:56 | Report abuse |
    • MesaMom

So, with that logic, why doesn't everybody have MS? Why only some people?

April 17, 2012 at 19:08 | Report abuse |
    • Andrea S.

Did he really just say that? Should I stop having an egg that came off of your (Prairie) too because it is going to cause me to go blind again? Pick up the book "MS for dummies" it is very informative and then you will not embarass yourself anymore.

April 17, 2012 at 22:06 | Report abuse |
    • wavejump1100

my mom has ms. when she first began having symptoms she had all the fillings in her mouth removed (because they had mercury in them) and replaced with non mercury fillings. quite unpleasant and it did NOT help at all. her symptoms just got worse and she can no longer walk.

April 17, 2012 at 22:14 | Report abuse |
    • bluman

I guess Joe's not going to respond to my "half ass'd attempt" at being healthy and trying to combat MS symptoms.
      Yes, Andrea- MS for Dummies is a great book for people who actually want to be educated.
      And, thank you, Lori Batchelor. I didn't know much about CCSVI. Will do more research to see if it's something worth a try. The MS Society in the US backs it and uses it as part of their research. Will it help even if you don't have blocked veins? I will have to read much more about it and talk to others who have done it. My neurologist has never suggested it- and he is a researcher, always conducting studies. Hmmm... maybe because I've never asked!
      This has been a nice little support group. 🙂 Thanks to everyone for posting their symptoms, and what helps them. I hope everyone has a good day today- and feels good!

April 18, 2012 at 09:15 | Report abuse |
  8. Valerie R

Both my mother and one of her younger sisters have MS. Though put them in a room together and you can only tell that one of them has something wrong with them. My mother was diagonise when I was in 11 th grade and 9 years later she is having a lot of difficult times, been in and out of the hostipal and has almost died once. My aunt has had this longer and is just now starting to have to rethink things. I will probably get tested just so that I know whether or not I have it. If I do I will face it head on and not give up hope (like my mother). Her drs. pretty much gave her a death sentence when they told her that she would never get to work again; whereas my aunt was never told that.

April 17, 2012 at 11:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • fsninja

MS is not really something you can be "tested" for; the diagnosis is often a process of elimination of other causes of symptoms, and it can take months to get a diagnosis via MRIs, lumbar punctures, blood work, visual evoked response tests, etc.
      Sending positive thoughts to your family; there are so many new treatments now that it's more manageable now.

April 17, 2012 at 13:48 | Report abuse |
  9. Kyle R

I have MS and the author needs to change the story a little, MS is not the brain being tricked or confused. MS is the body attacking the nerve covering (myelin sheath) and damaging the nerves. The brain really has nothing to do with it other then nerves in the brain being attacked but this also goes on in the spine as well where most of my MS activity is at. Great story I am so happy when I see these stories in the news as it brings more to the light on the disease. Which means more donations hopefully which leads to more funding and research.

April 17, 2012 at 11:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • AngelM

I don't think the author is incorrect in saying that the brain is being tricked.
      MS does, as you say, damage the nerve linings in the central nervous system, which does cause nerves in some situations to send "wrong" information to the brain. I guess we can think of damaged nerves pranking the brain.

As someone with MS myself, I experienced some very very strange things and sensations (feet feeling backwards.. feeling like my right hand was on my left arm..etc) that could only be caused by nerves connected to my hands and feet sending wrong info to my noggin'.

Regardless, its good to get more articles out there about this crazy disease/condition we have. It can only help.

April 17, 2012 at 12:16 | Report abuse |
    • Lone

Just about everyone with a major illness is brought up to speed rapidly, like it or not. The author knows what causes the problems but it helps them to think of it in their own way and that is ok.

April 17, 2012 at 14:29 | Report abuse |
  10. Kevin Sutherland

K.
    A wonderful article and so worthy of your review!
    Gail L

April 17, 2012 at 12:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. 1twinsfan

I get a terrible "faux" itch on one arm when I have a flare up that affects that limb. I know it isn't itchy but my mind just can't get it together. I must look like I have OCD with the endless scratching.

April 17, 2012 at 12:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lori Batchelor

That was one of my symptoms that cleared up with venous angioplasty for CCSVI.

April 17, 2012 at 14:31 | Report abuse |
  12. Jenn

Thank you for everyone posting their experiences with this disease. I nor anyone in my family are affected by MS but I am glad to have the opportunity to read detailed accounts of how it affects peoples lives other than "it does this" or "it does that."

I hope all of you who are affected with this disease or have a loved one affected by it find the strength and ability to get through each day. I cannot fathom how difficult each of your lives must be.

April 17, 2012 at 12:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. heywood Jablowme

must be effecting his ears too if he thinks drake has a lick of talent. Anyone ever hear him attempt to sing? pathetic

April 17, 2012 at 12:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Kimyan908

I have Systemic Lupus (I know it's not the really the same) and this is the first time someone has described something that I have found so difficult to describe. How I feel when other people say certain things.

People are confused, so they result to the obvious answer. "Oh well, that's probably because this happened. Oh, that happens to everybody. Everybody's tired today. Oh, we've all had a long week." That's the most frustrating thing for me in the world, because you're taking for granted how hard I work to be on this level with you.

This is exactly how it makes me feel. Thank You!!!

April 17, 2012 at 12:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • B.

Kimyan I have lupus and MS. I really do and they are sure. I hope you feel better, just remember to turn on your meter 🙂

April 17, 2012 at 16:46 | Report abuse |
  15. Evan

For anyone who is suffering from MS or knows someone who is should watch this TED Talk:

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc&w=640&h=360]

This doctor essentially cured her MS through the Paleo diet. This diet has also helped me immensely with my Crohn's disease (another autoimmune disease). Who knows, the Paleo diet or something similar to it may help you or someone you care about. Just some food for thought.

April 17, 2012 at 12:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tye

Thank you for posting that video. 🙂

April 17, 2012 at 15:40 | Report abuse |
  16. Lori Batchelor

MS is very complicated and there are different types. I'm assuming that this young fellow has the relapsing/remitting type which is the most common form, initially. I was diagnosed with r/r in 1990 at the age of 29. After several bad "attacks" with "lingering symptoms", I then became secondary/progressive, before any of the "disease-modifying" drugs were invented, so have NEVER qualified for any form of treatment. I was just supposed to progressively get worse, which I did, until I had venous angioplasty for Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI) in March, 2011. Many of the symptoms that were attributed to MS suddenly improved. Please see my before/after video Walk a mile in my shoes
    [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrH9GH0N4ck&w=640&h=360]
    Please also see this report from the doctors who know how to treat CCSVI (Interventional Radiologists). They have found very positive results for improvements in quality of life. http://www.sirweb.org/news/newsPDF/Release_49_Ferral_MS_final.pdf

April 17, 2012 at 12:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Shirley Renshaw

You rock Lori Batchelor! CCSVI treatment is the best thing to come along EVER. AND it is a non drug treatment that does work. Thanks for putting this and you out there. There are very many smart people who will pick up on this.

April 17, 2012 at 12:59 | Report abuse |
    • ccsvi2891

Great video Lori. You are such an inspiration to all the MS patients out there. I have also seen MS patients that have gotten relief from their symptoms after the CCSVI Treatment. I just hope patients take advantage of this opportunity as you did. There is a lot of research underway and some of the clinics in the US are a part of the study trial that is being conducted through the Hubbard Foundation. They have a list on their website. I wish everyone the best.

April 24, 2012 at 09:17 | Report abuse |
  17. Sailor

I have Systemic Scleroderma, an autoimmune disease. What Drake is describing is identical for most suffering from an autoimmune illness. I'm glad he spoke about it so that folks can understand and not make aggressive and misguided statements.

April 17, 2012 at 12:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Pam

The "trick" analogy seems dead on to me. That's the way I explain some of my wonkier symptoms. My brain feels "tricked" into believing that my leg is itching to the point that I claw at the skin. My brain gets "tricked" into making my feet feel like they are asleep and bruised and on fire at the same time causing me to walk differently. After 10 hours of sleep I am exhausted and after 6 hours of sleep I have the same level of fatigue. MS is a trickster all right and having lived with it for 8 years it still surprises me sometimes. Thanks for the article and the discussion on an often misunderstood, life altering disease.

April 17, 2012 at 12:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Ed Y

I had my first symptoms at the age of 19 back in 1986. This was about five months after Army Basic Training started and receiving all of the immunization shots. My 26 years with Relapsing Remitting (RR) MS have been a strange roller coaster going from being athetic to needing a wheelchair which I currently use. As it was said in an earlier post, MS is the body attacking the Myelin covering on the nerves creating scar tissue that eventually constricts the nerves and impairs nerve transmission. I had the similar reaction from Family and Friends after being diagnosed asking why I couldn't do things like before. Even some suggesting that someone else who has MS still seems to be able to do those things. Since MS doesn't attack the same way in everyone, people will be affected differently. I teach 3rd Grade Sunday School with my wife and try to explain the disease to the kids and show them that I'm like them (OK, quite a bit older) but just don't have use of my legs. The kids like riding on my wheelchair and I try to use every chance I get to make it a fun and learning experience for them. Don't let the disease take more from you than it has to or let it make you bitter. All of us with MS will have bad days but don't forget to enjoy the good ones!

April 17, 2012 at 12:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. CFR Puppet

sanjay gupta = CFR puppet tooting his horn for pro-NWO policies.

exposed. next please.

April 17, 2012 at 12:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Hope

My sister who had MS went through stem cell transplant at Northwestern University in Chicago, under Dr. Burt's Program. She has improved 70% in a 11/2 and is on no medications, her EDSS score went down more than 1/2. Dr. Burt is the chief of the division of immunotherapy at Northwestern and his treatment is the closest thing to a cure! He also has a similar treatment for Lupus.

April 17, 2012 at 13:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. MrsPirate

My dad and 2 sisters have MS. They've said for years it isn't genetic but now are changing their tune. My dad was diagnosed in his late 30s, as were both sisters. I don't know if it's brain trickery or more that the nerves just can't send the right message to the brain. This disease affects everyone differently – my dad and sisters have some symptoms in common but they each also have very different symptoms. One thing they all currently have in common – they have not yet been crippled, they are all still functioning on their own two feet. I know that may change some day but my dad is in his late 70s now and uses a cane for stability. My sister have canes that they use for stability too, when needed. The more research that can be done, should be done. It is passed through a virus, not mercury exposure. May God bless each of you MS patients with long, rich, fulfilling lives.

April 17, 2012 at 13:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Susan Kestell

I have had MS for 25 years. My brain tells me that pressure from shoes, socks pants etc is pain. So I wear shorts and sandals all year. When it is snowing outside I get many comments! LOL I am able to be much more active since I don't over stimulate the nerves with shoes and pants when I don't have to.

April 17, 2012 at 13:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Sarah

I have ms and I had ccsvi a yr ago and most of my symptoms are still gone...I also take 3 mg a day of LDN..many of us do..it is not just for heroin users and it has been shown to help some ms'ers ...I would do these 2 steps before I ever considered another unproven ms drug that does not work...I have a different opinion on the mss and they in my opinion are useless and waste millions of dollars towards fundraising events and lucrative salaries...I think all ms patients need to get there veins checked it has worked on many patients....

April 17, 2012 at 13:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lori Batchelor

I'm with you, Sarah! I live in Canada and the MS Society here is only interested in promoting pharmaceuticals on behalf of their sponsors. Their Mission Statement says they want to "enhance quality of life" but NONE of the drugs do anything for symptoms and there is no real proof they are helpful at all. They are fighting against people with MS having a minimally-invasive procedure for CCSVI because there's no money in it for them. Thousands of people have received some symptom-relief with venous angioplasty...but not in Canada–I had to go to the U.S.

April 17, 2012 at 14:45 | Report abuse |
  25. egh

ss

April 17, 2012 at 13:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. egh

ddd

April 17, 2012 at 13:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. bluman

THANK YOU, 40, for getting it!! It's so hard to put all that stuff into words. Symptoms happen to me every day, but there's no sense in complaining about every little thing related to MS. I don't want to be that person- I don't need a pity party. I Wish that an extra cup of coffee worked. Even meds like Provigil don't work very well for the fatigue. Some days I just use up my store of energy (especially the days I work out and run) a lot quicker and then I'm done for the day. It's the fatigue, the fake "itching", the numbness- no one gets it unless you have to deal with it. It's sounds so bazaar when trying to explain it to someone who's never experienced it.
    I don't mean this in any way but good– I am thankful when a public figure or star is diagnosed. It brings more awareness and more research- which means we are closer to getting to the bottom of this disease. All the people who have posted about mercury etc, and telling those of us with MS that we are unhealthy- just ignore them. They obviously aren't dealing with the disease like we are. They aren't doctors or even researchers of any kind. Not even sure why they are taking up their time reading articles on this "fake" disease.

April 17, 2012 at 13:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Keep the Faith

Those who have never had this disease don't understand why each day is different. One moment you're full of energy and pain free, and the next you're tired and hurting. It comes and goes. For the unfortunate few it stays a lifetime. I didn't understand MS, until I got diagnosed with it nearly ten years ago. I have the relapse/remitting version of MS. My main issues are intense muscle cramps, fatigue, shaking hands which on occasion leads me to drop things I'm holding. Its hard for me to tell sometimes which ailments are MS, and which aren't so I've given up trying to figure it out. I don't take any medication for the disease because I've found the side effects from the shots for me are more painful than the actual disease itself. I'm relying on faith to carry me through. So far, God hasn't let me down. He never promised this life would be easy no matter what our life held for us. But I have faith one way or another He will get me through anything this disease may have in store for me.

April 17, 2012 at 13:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • lighthousedsr

Its because the diet effects the brain in that way. For MS, one idea that hasn't been tried very well is a diet change. http://msrecoverydiet.com/ This diet, in a personal scenario, has worked EXTREMELY WELL. ALL SYMPTOMS are gone. I used to have everything you guys are talking about but now i feel fine as day. Check it out.

April 17, 2012 at 16:15 | Report abuse |
  29. rg

I have had ms since 1990 with not to many problems. I found out its just easier not to mention a "hidden" problem because if you don't have MS you just don't understand. Last week I woke up with a severe lower backache that just doesn't go away. (muscle spasms according to my dr) My regular dr. gave me a steroid shot and some pain killers but its not getting any better. Has anyone had this problem before??

April 17, 2012 at 14:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chuck

RG, I have been diagnosed with MS for15 years. I have also had back pain. The back issues were a result of weak muscles in my lower back which could be a function of lower activity levels due to MS, or age or whatever. My family doctor prescribed physical therapy and it worked. If I do not do the exercises the back pain gradually returns, when I resume or increase the frequency of the exercises, the pain subsides. Many times my health issues are not directly caused by MS, but having been diagnosed, it is easy to suspect it for many things. Keeping an open mind about what could be going on can be helpful.

April 18, 2012 at 11:57 | Report abuse |
    • MJS

@rg - Chuck is correct. I am 40 yo. Back pain makes any bad situation worse. I was diagnosed with RRMS 2 yrs ago, but evidence now suggests I've had MS since Sep. 2006 (first neurological episode). I have had nagging lower back problems well prior to MS. After my MS diagnosis I finally entered physical therapy for my back after a terrible strain to my lower back. I do my core strengthening back excercises religiously, even when I'm feeling badly, fatigued, etc.

In short, you ultimately need three things: correct posture (especially when sitting), stretching excercies and strengthen your core through excercises. Hydration is important too, but not so much as the other three. Never miss these things if you can help it. I highly recommend a good physical therapist to learn how to safely excercise and stretch. Check out Robin McKenzie's 'Treat Your Own Back' for info on stretching.

I feel like I have very little control over my MS, other than my main Interferon treatment, good diet and rest. All those with MS understand that you just can't know from one day to the next what may happen. But I do feel I have control over my back pain now. The best part is that stretching is free. Correct posture is free. The only equipment I use costs under 20 bucks all together.

April 18, 2012 at 15:38 | Report abuse |
  30. Randy

My wife has had MS since she was 26 yo she's now 54, and has progress from R/R to S/P. For a long time she didn't tell strangers or friends that she had MS due to explaining it all the time. Now she tells people up front and she is better off for it because most people can understand instead of reading her symptoms as either being drunk, or stupied, which she is neither. I all so would like to say there are many new drugs on the market for MS you should try before you get a bone marrow tx which has shown only short term benifits. Remember it's your T-cells attacking your myelin coating your nerves. If your newly diagnose get on some kind of immunosuppressive MS drug asap. Even tho you may feel ok today damage may be happening before other symptoms show up. My wife is doing fine, still driving short distance and doing water exercise class which is excellent for MS patients. Noah is doing a great thing by coming out and talking about MS, this helps everyone patient and public. Thanks

April 17, 2012 at 14:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lori Batchelor

Please find out more about venous angioplasty for Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency. I was not eligible for any drug treatment but this simple procedure helped me immensely.

April 17, 2012 at 14:52 | Report abuse |
    • Randy

Lori B. Thanks for the info on Venous Angioplasty, I just looked at a report on it and it sounds like they need to get more data with regards to MS patients, but I'll read more on it. T cells have to migrate through you venus walls and into your Brain or Spinal tissue when it attacks your myelin. That's why Trisabrie (sp) works by attaching to you T-cells and preventing them from crossing the blood glucouse brain barrier. So I wonder how increasing blood flow really helps MS if the T cells are not modified some how. My wife is now on Gilenya a pill form so no more shots (20+ years of them). It's suppose to work by keeping the T cells in the Lymph nodes but not all of them, you still need T cells to fight infection. So far it's been a slow improvement but we will see how well it works. She had been on an interferon type drugs for a long time but eventually your body will find a way around them so we switch. I just wanted to make sure people with MS don't try a Bone Marrow TX, it may seem like a good idea getting someone else's immune system but it can attack more than just your myelin and you can die from the procedure. It works at first because the deplet your T cells. Randy

April 17, 2012 at 19:18 | Report abuse |
  31. Bob

I want to clarify that my wife takes LOW Dose naltrexone which not used for drug or alcohol dependancy .I have been married to my wife for over 23 years ,she was always active and productive. This all changed in 2007 when it started with a sharp pain in her upper back, and within days she had pain traveling through her arms and legs. She was literally immobile.The doctors in the E.R said it was Nuer patty the gave her morphine for her pain and sent her home, her primary did major blood work on her they could not find anything wrong with her . Her ANA test was high . They told she might have lupus , limes disease ,or MS .This has been a process of years to determine what she has .The only doctor who will help you people with this autoimmune disease is immunologist. My wife has taken everything on this planet to help her with this disease. And the only thing that has helped her about 80 percent and has even raised her killer cells has been LOW DOSE NALTREXONE . My wife is 42 and all I can say that thanks to this medicine our lives are close to what it was before this terrible disease. I have nothing to gain from this . But I shire hope it helps any of you who are going through this hell

April 17, 2012 at 15:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. BamaGirl

I was diagnosed with R/R MS in September 2009 at 52. I take a daily injection of Copaxone. As much as I hate the injections, I am thankful there are medications for MS. I am blessed that I am able to get up and go to work each day in spite of the chronic fatigue that I deal with on a daily basis. Everyone has their own stories to tell of how MS has affected their lives and the lives of their loved ones. I try to live by....I might have MS, but MS doesn't have ME!

April 17, 2012 at 15:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Quincey9

Btilliant!

April 17, 2012 at 15:48 | Report abuse |
    • lighthousedsr

Injections aren't necessary. The doctors might tell you thats the only way but its not true. http://msrecoverydiet.com/ Changing your diet erases all the symptoms. I had to make the choice between diet and injections and I picked correctly. Diet is a great way to beat out MS!

April 17, 2012 at 16:14 | Report abuse |
  33. Quincey9

I have a lot of respect for the guy. I'm 49, just had a brain hemorrhage, have MS and just got diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer. He's right though... I'll make it if I try. I have no doubt of that.

April 17, 2012 at 15:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

MS is gangster yo....

April 17, 2012 at 16:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Kris LV

My mother has MS and my mother-in-law was just diagnosed last week. I can say that the disease effects everybody differently. For my mom emotional and mental stress is what brings on episodes. Physical stuff actually helps her. She is an avid runner having done marathons and triathalons.

April 17, 2012 at 16:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. lighthousedsr

Hey everyone! For MS, one idea that hasn't been tried very well is a diet change. http://msrecoverydiet.com/ This diet, in a personal scenario, has worked EXTREMELY WELL. ALL SYMPTOMS are gone. I used to have everything you guys are talking about but now i feel fine as day. Check it out.

April 17, 2012 at 16:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Kris LV

Joe Y, I understand you linking mercury to some of the symptoms. However mercury does not explain why your body is attacking the myelin sheath covering your nerves and causing lesions on your spinal column/in your brain. The lesions are are not symptoms but rather the cause of the symptoms. Decreasing mercury intake does not rid yourself of unhealed lesions.

April 17, 2012 at 16:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. the_dude

This is just some wannabe who got MS.

April 17, 2012 at 16:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Name*debra coats

Some people just don't get it, and never will

April 17, 2012 at 16:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. KIARAAAXO

I love you 40. I'm a sixteen year old girl and I want to be just like you when I grow up. You are the best at what you do and I'm proud of your accomplishments and I never take anything you do for granted because you've made an imprint on music that no one can compete with. Thank you for being such an inspiration.

April 17, 2012 at 16:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Emilie Walker

Hi all,
    I do not have MS, but have been sick with Chronic Lyme for almost 20 yrs. I was around 12 when I first got sick. I can't say that I truly know how people who have MS feel, but I thank them for talking about their struggles. Any talk about any autoimmune disease brings awareness to all of them. My Lyme was diagnosed for at least 6 years and by that time a lot of damage was done. Nerve damage is one my main complaints. For over 6 years now, my knees have been in daily constant pain. It never ends. Something in my body is telling my brain that there is something wrong with my knees, so they are excruciatingly painful. Every X-ray, MRI has told me there is nothing wrong with my knees themselves. I understand about the day to day of never knowing how your going to feel. Every day is different and it is almost impossible to make plans because I never know how I am going to feel until that day. I am homebound and I have to live with my parents. Without their Daily/Hourly/Minute help I don't know what I would do. I haven't been able to work, go to school or drive in over 6 years. I get out of the house once every week and a half – two weeks, but even a 1 & half hour trip to the mall takes me over a week to recover from. Because I have been sick most of my life I wasn't able to experience most of the things other people my age have, eg: College, Work, Social Life. I think I have dealt with this disease pretty well. Although before I was diagnosed with Lyme a few doctors that weren't able to find out what was wrong told my parents that I was just depressed. I'm no more depressed than the normal person. Sometimes I don't like how when we meet new people my Lyme always finds a way into the conversation pretty early on and then I get the looks and the questions. What I want most is to not have Lyme be my defining factor or have it brought up in conversation every day. A few years ago my grandmother was diagnosed with Lyme, it seems that ever since, almost every conversation or e-mail is about Lyme and its results. I thank everyone who talks about what our lives are like and what we go through every day. I hope it does some good for all of our diseases. May we all have more good days than bad.

April 17, 2012 at 17:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Jewel

So sad at such a young age....glad he's not just sitting back not living life though. Truly an inspiration

April 17, 2012 at 18:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Cristiane

Thank you for explain so well, I couldn't be more specific than that.
    I have MS I'm a graphic designer, unemployed after my last relapse and back pain my balance is now very poor and people on the street sometimes look at me like, oh!She's drunk! I hate it and I have been trying to keep it low profile but it's very hard to explain. So now I keep myself at home and I just go out with my husband or my daughter.
    Thanks a million!!!

April 17, 2012 at 23:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. @drizzy_benny

What an inspiring producer. This motivates me to do so many things that he is unable to do, instaed of taking life for granted. Im not making fun of him, im just opening my eyes more. Drake is my favorite rapper. An idol of mine. But my idol has a person who makes his music great, and thats 40. So good luck to him overcoming his MS. You will be forever in my prayers because of how inspiring you are. You probably dont even know what the word "quit" means. I wish i didnt like you.

April 18, 2012 at 00:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. kevin

It is rather disheartenning to hear the focus on MS Society and the total ignorance they exhibited about CCSVI and the potential treatment currently oerfomed worldwide with some amazing successes surely powerful people, especially internet savvy, have the opp.ortunity and the willingnes to explore the ORIGIN of a befflingly sudden dosability/. Also the comment by the narator imlying MS is not herditory is plain wriong , well we are fialure sure that CCSVI can most definitely bew inherited and its just the effects (?MS Symptoms) that are unpredictable. It is imerative that these people are made awre of sites like MS CCSVI ORP NAION, ms-ccsvi-uk.org and http://www.vital-now.org as well as iitiatives and NEWS reports from Canadian TV 2009,,and all the CONFERENCES that are sprawled over the internet... I wish this young guy , 40 , and bhis mom all the rpogress that my well be ell within their grasp... LOL kev

April 18, 2012 at 05:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. ruth

My daughter has had MS now for 13 years ,diagnosed when she was 28 years old... first born , girl....we did the crying at first then we read everything we could about this destructive disease.now we just need a cure ...she is just tired ,of it....she has the courage ,I will inspire her through this ordeal and we will do the MS walk for the cure......more and more are being diagnosed and yet the president of the United States who's Father-in-Law died of this disease has done nothing .Usually a President will take up one cause ,you would think he would do it for MS

April 18, 2012 at 20:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. pkkid

Thanks for the article. I also have MS–have been diagnosed for 35 years. I have days that are really good–and other days when I'm really tired. However, I'm still working. My job has been very supportive of my needs. But it IS difficult sometimes to explain the difference between regular tiredness and MS exhaustion...or why you can do something one day but not the next.

Kudos to Noah for continuing to live!

April 19, 2012 at 10:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Lori Batchelor

Canada is way behind other countries that actually offer the treatment but at least they are finally going to eventually start some clinical trials of CCSVI for people with MS–we already know that angioplasty is safe, even on veins, because it is done regularly for people with other conditions. http://www.cihr.ca/e/45249.html

April 19, 2012 at 13:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. roller coaster free games

A person necessarily assist to make significantly articles I would state. That is the very first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this particular put up extraordinary. Wonderful activity!

April 19, 2012 at 14:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Cindy

Please, check out Dr. Richard Burt at Northwestern Hospital in Chicago. He is an Immunologist and deals with all Autoimmune diseases.I was diagnosed with Scleraderma almost 5years ago,Was given very little chance of surviving.Thankfully I met Dr.Burt. He is doing a stem cell study I got involved in,using my own stem cells. He has completely stopped the disease.I know he has done the same for many MS patients.In fact most of the patients are MS patients.There is hope for you and your mother.Call him 312-908-0059.He has helped people from all over the world. Some video of him on you tube. Cindy

April 19, 2012 at 15:05 | Report abuse | Reply