home
RSS
Five ways to fight depression in the bedroom
March 22nd, 2012

Five ways to fight depression in the bedroom

Ian Kerner, a sexuality counselor and New York Times best-selling author, blogs about sex weekly on The Chart. Read more from him on his website, GoodInBed.

We live in a culture in which use of SSRIs (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors), talk therapy, and mental health days have become nearly as common as gym memberships and multi-purpose vitamins.

In fact, the National Institute of Mental Health reports that more than 20 million people in the U.S. experience depression. Unfortunately, mood swings aren’t the only symptom of depression - it can also have a negative effect on your romantic relationships, especially when it comes to sex.

"One symptom of depression is anhedonia, a lack of pleasure in things that were once enjoyable,” sex therapist Dr. Stephanie Buehler writes in her timely new book, “Sex, Love, and Mental Illness.”

“Sex is often one of those activities in which a person loses interest. Add to that fatigue, lethargy, and a tendency to want to be alone and there are plenty of reasons for depressed persons and their partners to experience a decline in their sex life."

Additionally, when a person is depressed, the non-depressed partner may become susceptible to depression as well.

Kathleen, a 32-year-old, stay-at-home mom, spoke to me about the role depression currently plays in her marriage.

"For a long time, I have made an effort to get Karl interested in sex, but I am constantly getting rejected. Not only does my ego take a hit, I also feel selfish bringing my sexual needs into the picture. They seem so trivial next to his depression. So we basically have both given up, but I need that closeness from him."

“Because people who are depressed may also have low self-esteem, they may feel that they are poor sexual partners,” Buehler writes on the complex dynamics that often emerge when depressions rears its head in an intimate relationship. “This can have the effect of a pushing a partner away, which only makes the depressed person feel more isolated or inadequate as a partner.”

So what can you do if depression has creeped its way into your bedroom?

1. Get help from an expert.

For those grappling with milder forms of depression — such as dysthymia, a low-grade, chronic depression that affects about three million Americans — cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) may be useful. This type of therapy focuses on combating negative thoughts and behaviors with positive ones.

2. Consider medication.

While SSRIs do come with sexual side effects, making a dent in your underlying depression is important. Still, research has shown that SSRIs can dull sexual sensation or diminish the brain's neural pathways associated with arousal and orgasm.

If you’re experiencing severe side effects from your antidepressants, talk to your doctor about trying other medications. Some — such as Bupropion (Wellbutrin) — have fewer sexual side effects, and may even help stimulate sexual desire. Medication affects everyone differently, and your psychopharmacologist may be able to find a balance of meds that helps improve your mood without wreaking havoc on your sex life.

3. Take a break.

Then there are the steps you can take on your own, back at home. First, try taking sex out of the picture. At least temporarily. Instead, play around with other forms of intimacy.

While sex may not be a possibility for the immediate future, connection is still important, and holding hands, hugging, and kissing can all go a long way toward thawing out the sexual frost between you.

4. Just do it.

When you feel slightly more ready for it, have sex - with a partner or even just with yourself. When you're depressed, even putting yourself through the motions of sex can be helpful.

As Buehler writes, "When a person has an orgasm alone or with a partner, it gives a boost to serotonin and raises endorphins and opioids, the brain's so-called happy chemicals."

Sex also relaxes you, and boosts self-esteem.

5. Communicate.

It goes without saying that when you're depressed, you feel isolated and, as a result, communication can be a struggle.

“Sex is a communication tool that partners use to connect with each other in good times and in tougher times,” says Sara Benincasa, a comedian and author of a new memoir “Agorafabulous!: Dispatches from my Bedroom,” which documents her own battles with depression.

“When you're depressed and feel a lack of sexual desire, it's almost as if a voice has been silenced.”

That’s why it's important to communicate about the side effects of your depression, with both your partner — who may not fully understand what's going on — and with your health care provider.

Between the three of you, you’re sure to find a way back to better sex, and a better state of mind. And the road will be much easier than it would have been if you were going it alone.

Post by:
Filed under: Depression • Relationships • Sex

1. Joscha Ilge

Schnell, freundlich, unkompliziert… Hat super geklappt!

google.com

July 26, 2018 at 02:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. kurdistan kanal

Ich habe mich von diesem Dienst in Sachen Sicherheit beraten lassen und nach einiger Überdenkzeit für einen Panzerriegel entschieden. Wurde alles nach meiner Zufriedenheit erledigt, hat nur ein bisschen länger gedauert deshalb 4 Sterne.

google.com

July 26, 2018 at 08:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Buket Akcakoca

Meine Oma und Ich haben heute den Dienst dieser Schlosserei in Anspruch genommen und sind mehr als zufrieden. Der Schlosser war auf die Minute genau pünktlich und hat seine Arbeit sehr gut vollbracht und ist auf all unsere Anliegen mit viel Geduld und Kompetenz eingegangen. Sollten meine Oma und ich nochmals eine Schlosserei in Anspruch nehmen müssen, wird es definitiv wieder diese sein. Vielen Dank.

google.com

August 18, 2018 at 15:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. 예스벳88

Best view i have ever seen !

November 30, 2020 at 15:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Vivian

My ex Husband left me and my two kids and also how i needed to get a job in a very big company.He only said to me that i have come to the right place were i will be getting my heart desire without any side effect.He told me what i need to do,After it was been done,24 hours later,My Ex Husband called me on the phone and was saying sorry for living me and the kids before now and one week after my Husband called me to be pleading for forgiveness,I was called for interview in a very big company here in IRELAND were i needed to work as the managing director..I am so happy and overwhelmed that i have to tell this to the entire world to contact Robinson Buckler on his personal email address and get all your problem solve..No problem is too big for him to solve..He also cure herpes, Contact him direct on: Robinsonbucler @gmail. com…...

December 9, 2020 at 15:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Jimmy Bormet

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your post seem to be running off the screen in Safari. I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I figured I'd post to let you know. The design and style look great though! Hope you get the issue solved soon. Thanks

December 14, 2020 at 18:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Portia Topinka

January 10, 2021 at 03:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Sherron Grivno

I have been browsing online more than 3 hours these days, but I by no means discovered any fascinating article like yours. It¡¦s lovely worth sufficient for me. Personally, if all webmasters and bloggers made excellent content as you probably did, the net shall be much more useful than ever before.

January 26, 2021 at 15:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Kareem Matis

I am very happy to read this. This is the type of manual that needs to be given and not the accidental misinformation that's at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best doc.

January 27, 2021 at 02:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Real Social Media Subscribers

I conceive you have mentioned some very interesting points, thanks for the post.

February 1, 2021 at 14:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. slot online sultan play

302310 401672I preferred than you might be now. 77138

February 11, 2021 at 21:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. slot online

Hi! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga group?
    There's a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy
    your content. Please let me know. Thanks

February 17, 2021 at 18:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. zortilonrel

Good day very nice blog!! Man .. Excellent .. Superb .. I'll bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally…I'm satisfied to find numerous useful info here within the post, we need develop more techniques on this regard, thank you for sharing.

February 21, 2021 at 09:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. froleprotrem

I love the efforts you have put in this, appreciate it for all the great articles.

February 26, 2021 at 06:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. froleprotrem

This really answered my problem, thanks!

February 26, 2021 at 11:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. ClarkTauts

a1gpz nie22 eldn

March 1, 2021 at 10:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. ClarkTauts

374qg jvkt9 0bws

March 1, 2021 at 16:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. frolep rotrem

Greetings from Idaho! I'm bored to death at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the info you present here and can't wait to take a look when I get home. I'm shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, fantastic blog!

March 4, 2021 at 01:19 | Report abuse | Reply