home
RSS
'Cutting' your risk of prostate cancer
March 12th, 2012

'Cutting' your risk of prostate cancer

They don't call it "The Big C" for nothing. People don't even like to say the word out loud.

The good news, we're told, is that there are many things we can do – or not do – in our adult lives to lower our risk of developing different types of cancer. Want to avoid lung cancer? Don't smoke. Want to lower your risk of skin cancer? Stay out of the sun, or utilize a proper sunscreen.

But a new study published Monday in Cancer suggests that at least one decision our parents make FOR us may have an impact on our predisposition to certain types of cancer.

Researchers at the University of Washington School of Medicine and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center looked at the association between circumcision and the prevalence of prostate cancer. They concluded that circumcision before first sexual intercourse is associated with a 15% reduction in the relative risk of developing prostate cancer.

It's important to note, right off the bat, that this study is not purporting to establish a cause and effect relationship. As is often the case, there are many additional factors at play.

First, a bit of background. It has long been established that men who are uncircumcised are more prone to contracting sexually transmitted infections. As the study's authors point out, "The mechanism(s) by which circumcision reduced acquisition of an STI [sexually transmitted infection] is thought to be related to the microenvironment of the thin, lightly keratinized mucosal lining of the inner foreskin."

This tissue is subject to small tears that allow potential access of pathogens into the bloodstream. Furthermore, "The moist environment under the preputial skin may help pathogens survive for extended periods prior to direct infection." Circumcision, of course, removes this protective environment.

Why is this important? Infections are reported to cause almost 20% of cancers worldwide, either directly by infection, or indirectly via inflammation.  Several STIs – such as gonorrhea, Chlamydia, HPV & HIV – have been found in the prostate.

Participants in the study were asked about their family’s medical history, which may increase a man’s risk of developing prostate cancer, and their PSA screening history, which can lead to overdiagnosis of the condition. Men were also asked to self-report their circumcision status, number of sexual partners, and their history of STIs.

Circumcision was reported in 68.8% of the cases and 71.5% of the controls.  Caucasian men more commonly reported circumcision (69%) than African American men (43%). For 91% who reported circumcision, the procedure was performed shortly after birth.

A few potential caveats to note include the reliance on self-reporting when it comes to a man's history of STIs, as well as his sexual partners. A cursory review of the data suggests, for example, that the number of male sexual partners is greatly underreported. Male-to-male sexual activity has been shown to lead to an increased rate in STIs, including HIV.

This gives pause to make one wonder what other facts were underreported, though the numbers of circumcised vs. not circumcised do fall in line with national survey results.

The bottom line from the American Cancer Society: While this is an interesting finding, it's not likely to spur any change in recommendations or medical practice.

Post by:
Filed under: Cancer • HIV/AIDS • HPV • Men's Health • Sex

1. Hikerstud

I did notice one again that same sex relations results in increased problems with STD's and wow they did not mention aids? Then when and if relations with hetro general population of course resutls in increased infections / cancer is possible. So much for LGBT hurts no one.

March 12, 2012 at 12:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • tokencode

HIV is the precursor to AIDS, obviously you are not well versed in the medical field. Please go carry your bible back to the 16th century where you and it belong.

March 12, 2012 at 16:37 | Report abuse |
    • Yes, I Am

You are absa damn lutely Right On.

March 12, 2012 at 21:47 | Report abuse |
    • aspblopm

" Male-to-male sexual activity has been shown to lead to an increased rate in STIs, including HIV." Not True. No amount of male on male sexual contact produces STD'd. Sexual activity between 2 people, one of whom, has an infection certainly does increase the probability of contracting an STD.

March 13, 2012 at 11:04 | Report abuse |
  2. goo

male to male increase hiv, huh, never heard of such a statement, this is mind blowing

March 12, 2012 at 14:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • aspblopm

Not True . Ignorant reporting. No amount of male on male sexual contact produces STD'd. Sexual activity between 2 people, one of whom, has an infection certainly does increase the probability of contracting an STD. Ignorant reporting.

March 13, 2012 at 11:06 | Report abuse |
  3. Yes, I Am

This entire artice is Hog Wash along with alot of B.S.

March 12, 2012 at 21:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • thinkonenation

We know every medical benefit purported is either baseless or superseded by more modern and effective health measures over the last 50 years. We know other physicians in other countries see the harm is great and the benefit is marginal at best.

We know this procedure was helpful when folks had no running water, soap, no antibiotics, no understanding of infectious disease. but if the people all found that out they wouldn't make the mistake of paying us for an unhelpful procedure that would deaden the upper 2 inches and disadvantage them sexually without them knowing.

Let's pitch this to folks who vilify sex and we'll tap ancient millenia-old moralistic ideas and we can pretend the foreskin is a disease, we don't know how, but we'll trump up studies. If he studies don't prove what we want, we'll just cancel them.

How can physicians sell mistakes to their patients? Let's yank out all the wisdom teeth, all the tonsils and all the foreskins in the world. Lots of $$ there. and zero health benefit. Looking at me like i'm some kind of christmas tree with financial goodies they can pluck off my body for some non-benefit.

Lack of ethics makes me mistrust physicians. It makes it difficult when i really need their help, because i don't know if they're just trying to make a buck on me.

March 13, 2012 at 11:20 | Report abuse |
  4. Iknewthat

phhffttt. ahem, uhhg huh, ahh hmmmm..
    Made sense when men/ mankind started.

And this is news ..why?
    Oh, for and to the ignoramus and uneducated.

March 13, 2012 at 01:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Lisa

Check out The WHOLE Network facebook page. You'll find out even more informtion on this topic.

March 13, 2012 at 04:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. m@yahoo.com

Well tokencode you must be a doctor to consider yourself well versed in the medical field. You are ignorant to believe that you have acquired an extensive amount of knowledge in any field unless of course you have received a master's or even a doctorate in the said category. People spend their entire life specializing in one category but for some idiot reason you believe you are well versed in the medical field due to the fact that you know HIV intrisically is related to AIDS. The ignorance and lack of a high intelligence quotient in this rising generation is astounding. A kid will read an article about newton's first law and think they are a physicist. Grow up and accept the fact that you aren't all knowing.

March 13, 2012 at 07:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. aspblopm

" Male-to-male sexual activity has been shown to lead to an increased rate in STIs, including HIV." Not True. No amount of male on male sexual contact produces STD'd. Sexual activity between 2 people, one of whom, has an infection certainly does increase the probabilility of contracting an STD.

March 13, 2012 at 11:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. dick

male to male sex contact –should be banned /avoided .Obama is –asking for free condoms to be given to liberal women and gay men (an imporetant re election issue for 2012 more important than –to the economy /job's ,Sex –comes first ?.

March 14, 2012 at 04:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. zortilonrel

Those are yours alright! . We at least need to get these people stealing images to start blogging! They probably just did a image search and grabbed them. They look good though!

February 15, 2021 at 05:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Sabrina Montembeau

I went over this site and I think you have a lot of good information, bookmarked (:.

March 4, 2021 at 10:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. sexpistols t shirt vintage

451993 178341thaibaccarat dot com may be the greatest site to study casino games : like baccarat, poker, blackjack and roulette casino 974738

March 31, 2021 at 04:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Teenage Girls Bangalore

Thanks again for sharing a wonderful list. I was wondering u did not mention the most sought after terminology used in all the blog commenting articles.

April 6, 2021 at 05:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Predrag Timotić

27835 936628Not long noticed concerning your internet web site and are nonetheless already reading along. I assumed ill leave my initial comment. i do not verify what saying except that Ive enjoyed reading. Nice weblog. ill be bookmarking keep visiting this web site truly usually. 391652

April 21, 2021 at 00:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Study in Uganda

437043 899117There is noticeably lots of dollars to comprehend this. I assume you created certain good points in attributes also. 272982

April 21, 2021 at 08:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. orantez

My dad was diagnosed with ALS, and I was so confused because I love my dad and I wouldn't want to lose him so soon so I decided to look for a possible solution to get rid of this ALS despite knowing it has no Medical cure as advised by the medical doctor , everyday my dad's heath depreciate and keeps losing weight and strength, a friend advised me to try dr santy wise ALS therapy that she used dr santy therapy to cure her dad's heart disease and I was reluctant about it until after a second thought I decided to give it a try because no harm in trying and immediately I contacted him on hangout he assured me that my dad will be cured within few weeks of medication and he sent me the therapy and I applied it on my dad as advised by Dr santy and within 3 weeks of medication my dad was cured and now my dad has no symptoms of ALS anymore. contact dr.santyjatto@gmail.com or whatsapp +2348145243120 NOTE THAT THIS MAN HAS CURE FOR ANY SICKNESSSCABIES
    PENIS ENLARGEMENT, ASTHMA
    ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION, DIABETES type 1 and type 2, HERPES GENITAL WART, LOW SPERM COUNT, WEAK ERECTION ,BREAST ENLARGEMENT ,PROSTATE CANCER HIV/AIDS.

May 10, 2021 at 19:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Sang Duque

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life authors and blogs

May 11, 2021 at 00:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Norbert Gayler

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

May 12, 2021 at 03:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Hugh Caberto

I don't know about you all but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/12/washington-times-opinion-gets-it-wrong-airlines-do-not-suck/

May 16, 2021 at 16:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Jude Furnia

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

May 17, 2021 at 07:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Jadwiga Ritschard

I don't know about you guys but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/10/interview-with-alaska-airlines-virtual-jenn/

May 18, 2021 at 02:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Jamel Molinari

I don't know about you guys but I infatuated with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/08/happy-friday-the-13th-a-look-back-at-row-13/

May 19, 2021 at 04:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Rudy Raboin

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl authors and blogs

May 20, 2021 at 03:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Consuela Prowant

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

May 20, 2021 at 20:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Replica waterman paris

98963 577945extremely good post, i truly enjoy this web site, keep on it 331870

May 21, 2021 at 15:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Dario Westbrooks

I don't know about you all but I am obsessed with airplanes. I have a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/01/fun-with-photos-whats-wrong-with-this-eastern-airlines-boeing-727/

May 22, 2021 at 02:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Latasha Bracy

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

May 23, 2021 at 04:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Chet Goombi

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

May 28, 2021 at 04:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Manuel Goeltz

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life authors and blogs

May 29, 2021 at 05:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Hershel Acy

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a video game where you can do anything you want. SL is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these Second Life websites and blogs

May 30, 2021 at 06:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Jeanette Breckenstein

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

May 31, 2021 at 05:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. https://happymod.net.br

510470 381334Totally pent topic matter, regards for entropy. 372987

May 31, 2021 at 15:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Rosana Gottula

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is basically a online game where you can do anything you want. sl is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you would like to see more you can see these second life websites and blogs

June 2, 2021 at 23:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Laurena Dencklau

This was awesome! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 5, 2021 at 19:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Leena Lamastus

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 7, 2021 at 08:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Albertha Bartolomeo

This was great! I would like you to clean up all this spam though

June 11, 2021 at 07:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Lacie Danesi

I don't know about you guys but I infatuated with airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loves airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff I don't know about you guys but I love airplanes. I had a friend in highschool that loved airplanes, so here are some airplane related stuff https://www.airlinereporter.com/2011/05/virgin-america-starts-flying-to-chicago-in-style/

June 13, 2021 at 21:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Micheal Shams

Have you ever heard of second life (sl for short). It is essentially a game where you can do anything you want. Second life is literally my second life (pun intended lol). If you want to see more you can see these sl websites and blogs

June 21, 2021 at 21:07 | Report abuse | Reply