home
RSS
One Appalachian's guide to hummus
Rick Morris was surprised to find such a selection of hummus at his local grocery store.
February 16th, 2012

One Appalachian's guide to hummus

Editor's Note: Rick Morris is a web developer and volunteer firefighter from Canton, North Carolina.  He is one of seven CNN viewers selected to be a part of the Fit Nation Triathlon Challenge program.  Each athlete receives all the tools necessary to train for and compete in the Nautica Malibu Triathlon this September, alongside Dr. Sanjay Gupta.  The seven athletes met up two weeks ago in Atlanta for the official kickoff of the program, where Rick developed a new taste for hummus.

Hummus. The very word, for those like me, not in the know, sounded like a foreign term for something gross. Globular pustules on a teenager's face. A backwoods verb for singing under one's breath (“hummus a song, Cooter”). Perhaps a brand of automobile.

Until recently, I can honestly say that I had never heard of hummus. In fact, I was somewhat taken aback when it was placed in front of me at a recent restaurant gathering. It evolved something like this...

“Want some hummus, Rick?” they asked.

“What's hummus?" I inquired.

Atlanta's crowded Flying Biscuit restaurant went near silent for a moment that day, my friends. A myriad of eyes in disbelief angled my direction. I'm pretty sure the winds outside got angry and old-man winter was preparing a cold blast of disdain to lash at me the moment I walked out the door.

I was quickly rescued by those sharing the same table. “It's similar to a bean dip,” one said. “You're going to like it,” boasted another. “Give it a try.”

It clearly didn't appear to have tomato in it (I can't stand tomatoes), and hey, I was pretty hungry so I grabbed a triangle of pita bread, spread a generous amount of hummus on it, and sent it down the hatch.

What happened next was comparable to a high-speed ride on the autobahn in an Italian sports car! My first kiss! Winning the lottery! Skydiving! Releasing the rope swing and plunging into the clear, cold water of the mighty Pigeon River on a hot summer's day...

Well, maybe not as exciting as all that. But, clearly I had found a new food that was truly like a party in my mouth. It was delicious. Better yet, I've since learned it is very healthy. Amazing! Something that tastes great and is good for you.

For someone whose Sunday dinners generally consisted of fried chicken, corn-field beans, smashed taters (if you must ask, you need to visit my area) and sweet iced tea, I had written-off ever discovering new foods satisfying both requirements.

As a member of this year's CNN Fit Nation Triathlon Challenge, I was already in the market for good nutrition. So I decided to delve deeper into this hummus thing. I wanted to know exactly where it comes from, what it consists of, and how I could make my own.

My research into the wonderful world of hummus began online. Not to be confused with “humus," an organic matter or compost, I discovered hummus is a Middle Eastern bean dip made from a few basic ingredients: cooked chickpeas or garbanzo beans, olive oil, tahini (ground sesame seeds), lemon juice, salt, and garlic.

For someone who prides himself in whipping up the best tzatziki around – a recipe given by a Greek friend while in Europe – I'm now fully confident I can create hummus. Just gotta see if my local grocery store has chickpeas.

The origin of hummus comes from “himmas” or chickpeas, leading to the Arabic “hummus," then the Turkish word “humus," and finally settling in the West back in the Arabic style of “hummus."

As I said earlier, hummus is spelled the way we Americans see it so as not to be confused with the aforementioned English term for dead dirt. Did you get all that?

Now that I know what it is made of, I checked out the nutritional information on hummus. Rich in vitamin C and iron, hummus also provides high amounts of vitamin B6 and folate. There is plenty of protein and dietary fiber courtesy of the chickpeas. The tahini (again, ground sesame seeds) contains a healthy amino acid. And, depending on the oil used, you get a nice portion of monounsaturated fats, which improve cholesterol levels – both LDL and HDL.

So... how to eat hummus? Apparently, it can be pasted to just about anything – bread, crackers or celery, for example. My initial dish came with feta cheese sprinkled on top. Mmmmmm! I like hummus so much that I think I'll just spoon it until I have more time to ponder the varying recipes and uses.

In the West, hummus is typically served cold as an appetizer or dip, and transported to drooling taste buds via a piece of pita or flat bread. In the Mediterranean, you'll almost always see hummus served with a small assortment of dishes precluding the regular meal. That's called a “meze."

Fish, eggplant, chicken, and just about any lunch or dinner menu is complimented with hummus. Palestinians and Israelis typically serve it warm, with bread before, during or after any meal. Exotic spices such as cumin, paprika, parsley, excellent olive oil, and mint leaves often garnish hummus in Palestine.

I asked a number of my “kin folk” and local residents here in the Canton area and discovered few had even heard of hummus. A couple of them were well versed, but most had no idea what it is. Evidently, we rural, small-town people are the last to know when it comes to international cuisine.

Thankfully, this eases my feelings of embarrassment from my initial encounter with hummus. However, it bothers me that so many of us are missing out! Unlike Middle Eastern countries that battle each other for the world's largest hummus dish, Americans are just beginning to discover its succulent taste and various uses. Lebanon, by the way, holds the current record, at 23,000 pounds - set one day in 2010!

I've learned that Americans only recently began consuming hummus, with about 15 million eating it regularly by 2008. If my math serves me correctly, that means about 300 million of us were not partial to this simple, delicious dish.Probably because we had never tried it.

But, the popularity of hummus has skyrocketed over the past four years and it's safe to assume that about ten percent of Americans now partake in its consumption weekly. Maybe I'll start a chain of hummus-oriented restaurants, introducing this wonder food to all of America. At the very least, a town hall focus group.

From what I've discovered, hummus is a miracle food. I can't find anything negative about it. It tastes great, can be fabricated quickly and inexpensively, and contains plenty of nutrient rich ingredients.

My endeavor to uncover the mysteries of hummus has me feeling like I just completed a ninth-grade research paper. But that's perfectly fine with me. I've learned enough to confidently rescue the next lay person who asks, “What's that?” In fact, I'll take any moment of culinary humiliation in exchange for the opportunity to discover a delicious new food.

In contrast, plenty of visitors to my neck of the woods have frowned at the site of squirrel dumplings. But for those who try them, they are usually hooked. Well, some are just being social. I mean, it is prudent to show appreciation when a moon-shining, outhouse-using, up-the-holler-living Appalachian tosses their finest culture at you, right?

Back to that restaurant in Atlanta... as my glorious moment of hummus introduction came to its climax, our waiter was busy inquiring about our libation for the meal.

“I'll have a Pepsi,” I requested. Strike two!

“Don't you know this is the Coca-Cola capital of the world?” she asked, as the ground settled to a minor rumble. “The Coke Museum is just a few blocks away!” another proclaimed.

“Coke please,” I declared. “And, another platter of that hummus stuff!”

P.S. – If you have a good hummus recipe, comment about it below.

1. ninalovel

Dee-licious as the spread (instead of mayo) on a sandwich of whole-grain bread with baby spinach, avocado, and tomato!

Rick, you are a hoot! 🙂

February 16, 2012 at 14:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rick

Nine, that sounds great, but I'll pass on the tomato!

February 16, 2012 at 15:18 | Report abuse |
    • tony

GOP Presidential candidate Rick Santorum has a freedom problem. He says there is too much freedom on the Internet and it should be regulated. He was the only candidate that did not take a strong stand against SOPA and PIPA and called for regulating the Internet and said freedom should be limited. He called those that want limited government “radical individualism”. Rick Santorum is no conservative. Don’t be fooled by this authoritarian masquerading as a conservative.

“They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do, government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulations low, that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues.
      That is not how traditional conservatives view the world. There is no such society that I’m aware of, where we’ve had radical individualism and that it succeeds as a culture.”
      – Rick Santorum

February 17, 2012 at 13:02 | Report abuse |
    • C

I want to eat that sandwich now! That's about as close as you get to perfection.

February 20, 2012 at 16:58 | Report abuse |
    • forex brokers

With the advent and widespread accessibility of the internet, online forex brokers have become very popular;

December 12, 2012 at 21:34 | Report abuse |
  2. woodsenwater

Thanks for your humorous take on hummus...I grew up in Appalachia like you and didn't try hummus until about eight years ago. As a vegetarian, it's become a staple in my refrigerator : )

February 16, 2012 at 14:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. HummusGuy

Check out these hummus recipes at Middle Eastern Food at About.com: http://mideastfood.about.com/od/middleeasternfood101/a/hummus101.htm

February 16, 2012 at 14:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Brooke

I eat hummus pretty much every day. It used to be near impossible to find in grocery stores, but in 2003 or so it started to be easier. Sabra has the best texture. I mix it with Greek yogurt, or dip almost anything into it - red pepper slices, chicken, cheese, pretzels. But the most delicious presentation I've ever had was at a Turkish restaurant - in the middle of a wide mound of hummus was a small pile of grilled lamb bits, pine nuts, and a sprinkle of feta. OH MY LORD.

February 16, 2012 at 14:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rick

Yeah, I love lamb (real lamb and not the ground-up, formed, and sliced stuff). I bet that was some good eats!

February 16, 2012 at 15:20 | Report abuse |
    • Middle East Mid West

Hummus is Arabic you know. But Greek Yogurt? People dont respect Arab culture but steal their food. What about tabbouleh and falafel and shawarma? Greek too right? And Arabic is Greek too?

February 16, 2012 at 15:31 | Report abuse |
    • GokTurk

Yogurt is a Turkish word, the G is silent, Arab.

February 26, 2012 at 20:44 | Report abuse |
  5. What's for Dinner Ma?

Reblogged this on What's for Dinner Ma?.

February 16, 2012 at 14:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. garliclover

Rick, I'm glad you have discovered hummus! I was the pickiest of eaters as a child. It wasn't until young adulthood forced me socially to try new foods that my world expanded. I wish I had the perfect recipe to share, but I'm still trying to find it too. The searching is part of the fun.

We love it on our homemade pizzas too!

February 16, 2012 at 15:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Middle East Mid West

http://www.mamaslebanesekitchen.com/mezza/hummus-recipe-from-scratch/ your welcome. But maybe put a little less oil, paprika, garnish with about a dozen chickpeas. Im Lebanese Muslim

February 16, 2012 at 15:34 | Report abuse |
    • Rick Morris

Hey Middle East Mid West, I'm going to get those ingredients today and give it a whirl. Thanks so much for that recipe. Looks pretty simple and easy to make. I'll let you know.

February 17, 2012 at 11:52 | Report abuse |
  7. Rick

Pizza, eh? I'll have to try that! Replace the sauce with humus? Or just lay it to it?

February 16, 2012 at 15:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • garliclover

We've used it both ways – to replace tomato sauce or as a topping. Excellent!

February 16, 2012 at 17:13 | Report abuse |
  8. Arab

How many of you know that this is an Arabic food, and you should also try it from an authentic Arab restaurant, usually Lebanese of Egyptian. Try Falafel and Shawarma. These are the only 3 Arabic foods most Americans know. About 2 million of these 15 million are Arabs, many more probably Greek. There probably are non-Arab Muslims who eat it too because it is present at Halal restaurants. Alsalamu Alaikum.

February 16, 2012 at 15:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carl

Not just Arabic, but middle eastern. Hummus, falafel and shwarma are widely eaten in Israel and can be found in virtually any kosher restaurant in the U.S. There are some things we all agree on!

February 16, 2012 at 16:32 | Report abuse |
    • C

Salams! Reading about all this delicious food is making me hungry...

February 20, 2012 at 17:01 | Report abuse |
  9. Craig

I had not tried hummus until last week when I found it in a ......

WAL MART, in rural Georgia, of all places. There is a picture of the brand with this article. Man is that stuff good! The Wal MArt here has a cooler by the deli with their higher end cheese and the like, along with this stuff. I stilll can't believe it.

February 16, 2012 at 15:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rick Morris

Yeah, Craig. That's great. I've been watching the Doomsday Preppers on TV lately, and I wonder if they are stocking their bunkers with hummus! If not, they better be. Don't know if actual hummus would last long without a firdge, but I'm sure the basic ingredients will. If I ever build a 2012 shelter, I'll certainly pack it with hummus ingredients!

February 17, 2012 at 11:55 | Report abuse |
  10. North Georgia Native

I've had both, and I can say right now that as much as I love hummus, I don't long for it the way I do my mother's squirrel dumplings. Mmmmmmmm.

February 16, 2012 at 15:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rick Morris

I knew someone had to be with me on those squirrel dumplings!

February 16, 2012 at 17:14 | Report abuse |
    • C

Rick,
      There are several good brands of canned houmus, check out any grocery store specializing in world foods.

February 20, 2012 at 17:03 | Report abuse |
  11. Felicia

I suggest using hummus in place of mayo when making tuna, turkey or chicken salad. I've made "pizzas" with pita bread, spread hummus on it – then put some chopped veggies, olives and crumbled feta on top – yum!

February 16, 2012 at 16:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rick Morris

I gotta try this one, too!

February 17, 2012 at 11:56 | Report abuse |
  12. M

Trader Joes has a cilantro jalepeno hummus that is to die for!! Even my 2 year old can't get enough of it.

February 16, 2012 at 16:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Nancy

I KNOW!! I KNOW!!! What I'm about to type is sacrilege to many, but I can't help it – I only have a blender to grind chickpeas and it's NOT very good at it. (I'm also too poor to afford tahini.)

I make my own "hummus" with canned butterbeans, heavy on the garlic, a little lemon, salt, pepper and oil. I put it on wheat bread for sandwiches for work. Tastes good to me.

February 16, 2012 at 16:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Shelly

I totally think of that as hummus! I love butter beans!

February 17, 2012 at 09:24 | Report abuse |
  14. Nicole

I also live in Canton, NC and our Ingles sells both prepared Hummus and all the ingredients you need to make hummus. I make it for my family...we enjoy added roasted red peppers to ours.

February 16, 2012 at 16:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rick Morris

Thanks, Nicole. I'm glad to hear we have chickpeas at Ingles in Canton. I'll ask Pat, the store manager where they are. Can't wait to whip up a batch!

February 16, 2012 at 17:15 | Report abuse |
  15. Rev.Christie Bliss Ley

I first had hummus in Beirut, and learned that adding extra olive oil before eating it makes it very smooth and extra tasty. Try it with toasted pita bread.

February 16, 2012 at 16:23 | Report abuse | Reply

Will do. Thanks.

February 17, 2012 at 11:57 | Report abuse |
  16. Rob

Rick, you need to watch the film "You Don't Mess With the Zohan" to find out more of the many uses of hummus. Sabra IS the best store-bought I have encountered, and you can put it in wraps with lettuce and well, anything you want for a taste treat!

February 16, 2012 at 16:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rick Morris

Roger that. I did see that movie a few years ago, but I don't recall the hummus part.

February 17, 2012 at 11:57 | Report abuse |
  17. Nick

Humus isn't "Dead Dirt"! It's the living component of soil, gives plants nutrients, increases productivity in gardens and forests. I love hummus (equal parts tuna salad and garlic hummus on wheat bread is my favorite), but don't mess around with humus!

February 16, 2012 at 16:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. leonberger

I find it goes exceptionally well on a double whopper with cheese.

February 16, 2012 at 16:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Judy

My favorite is Sabra's w/pine nuts or Trader Joe's roasted red pepper. They are both wonderful! I only discovered huumus in the past 5 years and I was in my early 70s. I have always been a 'picky' eater with textures being my biggest hangup. Huumus just did not look or sound that good to me. Glad to say I was terribly wrong about this cause it is so good for you!

February 16, 2012 at 17:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rick Morris

My feelings, exactly, Judy!

February 17, 2012 at 11:58 | Report abuse |
  20. Deedie

Also watched Zohan about 9 times. Was nauseated by the running gag on the spread. Now I am determined to try it!

February 16, 2012 at 17:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Fiery Buddha

Excellent article! From one hillwilliam to another, I getcha. When I returned home to the hills with my new recipe and an excitement about the whole endeavor, my mom's first comment was, "What, cold bean dip? With sesame WHAT? Are you crazy?" But my persistence paid off, and she was a believer before day's end!

February 16, 2012 at 18:09 | Report abuse | Reply

Outstanding! Thanks Buddha.

February 17, 2012 at 11:59 | Report abuse |
  22. I'lltryanythingonce

...looking up squirrel dumpling recipes, now...

February 16, 2012 at 18:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rick Morris

Dispatching squirrels is just about as much fun as making the dumplings! And, you're going to find it a filling meal, especially if you like wild game. I would recommend a .22 rifle, instead of a scatter gun (shot gun). No mystery pellets!

February 17, 2012 at 12:01 | Report abuse |
  23. Poodles

No offense, but it's not surprising many people haven't heard of it in the podunk backward areas. Those areas tend to be uneducated and unwilling to expand past the typical space-ghost fearing mentality and can't see past the backyard fence.

February 16, 2012 at 22:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mikey

But they are more likely to know what real food tastes like. They were way ahead of the new trend:grow your own, raise chickens in your backyard, buy locally and in season etc.

February 17, 2012 at 08:55 | Report abuse |
    • Rick Morris

"Uneducated" perhaps in comparison to book smarts on a national scale. But, don't knock us based on hollywood perception. Country folk, especially those of us in Appalachia know hard, hands-on work better than any. And, we still hold the door for you, regardless of your social status. Come check out western NC and visit places like Canton, Waynesville, or Cruso (where the sign reads "11 miles of friendly people, plus 1 mean old crab"). Take a day with the family at Sliding Rock (here's another article I wrote on that place: http://www.smalltownlive.com/slidingrock-nc.htm ). "Mountain Folk", as we are called, are arguably the friendliest people around. And, yes... if you forget your shirt, we'll give you the one off our back!

February 17, 2012 at 12:08 | Report abuse |
    • kww

Uneducated and unwilling ? Not hardly. I live in an area of Appalachia that is rural and has very little diversity. We have two grocery stores: Kroger and Wal-Mart. If they don't think an item will sell, they don't stock it. The closest Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are over 200 miles away. I've been able to get hummus locally for about a year now and love it. I happen to love squirrel dumplings, too. I'm just geographically challenged. Have a little respect for MY diversity, ok ? Thanks.

February 18, 2012 at 23:16 | Report abuse |
    • GL

What kww said. Don't make assumptions that people don't want to expand their horizons–it's just that they haven't been exposed to other cultures as much as you have, and it's not their fault that their area isn't as diverse as others.

February 21, 2012 at 12:01 | Report abuse |
  24. Lee Langfitt

Please share that tzatziki sauce recipe! I can buy it at Walmart, but would prefer homemade. Both sauces are good on turkey burgers and lamb burgers. Now I am hungry!

February 16, 2012 at 22:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rick Morris

I've tried loading the tzatziki recipe a few times, but it won't show. Maybe I've reached my comment level. I'll try again if this post makes it.

February 23, 2012 at 11:57 | Report abuse |
  25. @TriHardCarlos

Once again Rick, you've hit a nerve!! Great article!! Apparently, (according to my wife,) I had tried hummus before and I guess I was in denial or something. Nice job Teamie!!

February 16, 2012 at 23:06 | Report abuse | Reply

Thanks, Carlos.

February 17, 2012 at 12:31 | Report abuse |
  26. moooby

Easy (and healthier)! 1 can of drained chickpeas, pour into blender, squeeze a lemon into it, add about 1/4 cup water to it to make it easier to blend, a dash of olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper. Blend until smooth. No tahini. You can add anything to it like roasted garlic or hot sauce.

February 16, 2012 at 23:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. OvernOut

Very cute article. Glad you've found a treat that we have been enjoying for over 30 years now–better late than never, glad to have you aboard. Absolutely wonderful hummous is the house-made kind from the Ram's Horn Restaurant in Dearborn, Michigan. There is nothing from a grocery store that even comes close to freshly-made hummous, especially when served with pitas fresh from the brick oven. I'll have mine with fattoush–yum!

February 16, 2012 at 23:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Sandi in Canada

Roast the garlic before you add it to the other incredients – makes a huge difference! I have been using Martha Stewart's recipe for roasted garlic hummus for years, and visitors demand it before they arrive. I agree it's healthy, but I think the bigger deal is how relatively inexpensive it is, not to menion how easy it is to make!

February 16, 2012 at 23:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Curious James

Great article Rick. I have to say, Canton might be smelly little place – but it's practically Asheville! Both my parents are from NC (mom from Leicester and my dad from Robbins) and they turned me on to some world class food. Yes, I got an appreciation for biscuits and gravy, fat back, squirrel, and many others, but my dad really opened my eyes. He introduced me to tripe, brains, sardines, oysters, sweetbreads, and many other items seldom seen on many peoples' dining room tables. Andrew Zimmern would be proud. Keep tryin' new things ya'll, you never know what new favorite's on the next plate!

February 17, 2012 at 05:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rick

Thanks. I recall tripe being part of one of my favoriate spreads, potted meat.

February 17, 2012 at 14:37 | Report abuse |
  30. Candi

Hummus – Easy to make, nutritious, delicious! If you don't want to make it, buy some! There are a lot of good varieties out there!

February 17, 2012 at 07:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. dcn8v

I'm allergic to lemons, but have found several recipes that omit them. That's the great thing about hummus- start with chickpeas, olive oil, and tahini, and then add just about anything else and you've got something yummy.

February 17, 2012 at 07:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Mary in Boone, NC

Enjoyed your article, Rick! Hummus has been available in stores and restaurants for many years here. It is great to live in an area in the Appalachians that has become more multinational over the years. Would you please share your recipe for tzatziki? Have you ever tried baba ghanouj, the spread made from eggplant? Although I love hummus, I think I enjoy baba ghanouj ever more. Take care, and thank you!!

February 17, 2012 at 08:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Mary in Green Bay, WI

Love the way you write! Also like hummus and try new flavors whenever I can. Haven't tried making it though.

February 17, 2012 at 08:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. yoda

Hey Rick,
    You need to get out of the firehouse more often....Even us groundhog burger eating guns and religion Pennsylvania hicks have been eating hummus for years...Watch the food channel once in a while.....Go to your local farmers market and find a Greek stand and enjoy the real stuff.....Nothing like freshly made pita bread and hummus with some paprika on top....yum yum....

February 17, 2012 at 08:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Lisa

I like baba ghanouj better than hummus.

February 17, 2012 at 09:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Casey

If you like hummus, try other Mediterranean/Asian dishes at http://www.MediterrAsian.com ; love this site and their cookbook/lifestyle instruction guide! Good luck!

February 17, 2012 at 09:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Mandi

Canned chickpeas (aka Garbanzo beans) can be found in the canned bean section of most any grocery store. It will be with the black beans, pinto beans, baked beans, etc.

Here's a recipe that does not include tahini, which can be expensive and more difficult to find:

February 17, 2012 at 12:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Libby

I love hummus, but I don't buy it or make it often. I'll sit down and polish off a whole container happily all by myself. I like it with veggies.

February 17, 2012 at 13:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. tammy

Last summer, a friend introduced us to....get ready for it...BLACK EYED PEA HUMMUS. It was so good my husband bit his tongue as he was trying to eat it so fast. We've tried to replicate the recipe and it is good...but try it at Wisteria over in Inman Park. You will weep when you try it.

February 18, 2012 at 10:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • kww

Black eyed pea hummus?! OMG, that sounds fabulous !!! Can you share your recipe for it? I live in West ( by gawd ) Virginia and just discovered hummus about a year ago.

February 18, 2012 at 23:02 | Report abuse |
  40. Boo

I came across hummus from a friend in school who has Syrian grandparents. It opened my world to middle eastern food in a whole new way. I could live off tabouleh and hummus. Not sure if Asheville has a Trader Joe's yet, but it would be worth it for the tabbouleh. I also like plain hummus with paprika.

However, my family is from Rutherfordton/Forest City area and now I live in Texas. If I lived still lived out your way, I'd have to make room for Livermush. Definitely not a health food, but sinfully good. I wonder if you could call a livermush sandwich healthy if you used hummus as a sandwich spread...

hmm perhaps not.

February 19, 2012 at 17:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Courtenay

I've been eating hummus for a long time, as well as all of the other Middle Eastern dishes mentioned here. Sabra is definitely the best of the store brands, but the best I ever had was in old town Damascus. It was amazing. If you had a good table, you were close to the oven where the guy slapped the bread onto the wall of the oven to cook and then pulled it out when it was ready, all by hand. Then there's the falafel in Egypt...

February 19, 2012 at 23:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Leisa

I'm a hummus freak. I usually make my own-chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, sea salt, olive oil and kalamata olives. I occasionally must eat the lemon hummus at High Velocity located in the Marriott Marquee in downtown Atlanta. (Yum)

February 29, 2012 at 15:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Nacy

I really enjoyed your post and all the comments. I too like hummus very much and was so glad to know that it is so healthy as well as easy to find or make. I was especially glad to see that our Lowe's Foods hummus is gluten-free. However, after eating it I soon felt the same arthritic-like symptoms I get from eating nuts, seeds and wheat. Then I read the label and saw tahini which I did not know about. After looking it up I was surprised to learn that tahini is made from sesame seeds. Had to stop eating that hummus but will try to make it without tahini.

March 1, 2012 at 15:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Kasee

Well, sounds like you don't like tomatoes, but for those of us who do. . . Sabra sun dried tomato hummus rules!

March 7, 2012 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. OxheadLives

I usually buy pre-made hummus, but when I make it I either follow the recipe on the can, or use the Moosewood recipe. Alton Brown once featured a peanut butter hummus on "Good Eats." Some may like it, but it didn't work for me.

March 9, 2012 at 14:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. understanding the stock market

Hi there, I found your blog by means of Google whilst searching for a similar matter, your website got here up, it appears to be like good. I have bookmarked to my favourites|added to bookmarks.

April 16, 2012 at 05:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. veoftYddT

Thus moms and dads enjoy a good sized number of coatswoolrich outlet to pick from so they can potentially assess the advantages not to mention reasons against of virtually almost every. Nevertheless discovering that 'in-between' tone when viewing two fleece protector tones either containing exactly the same some primaries concerning white or simply all-natural constructed from wool is easier. The idea creates beneficial interesting depth in shade. Do not forget things mentioned regarding Mum getting organized whenever you ended up being jammed about the carrying rd? The cost connected with females t shirts are usually in an identical selection while tees males, $25 - $95, together with the alternative amongst the low as well as highball dollar amount based on the look and excellence of textiles. When buying an innovative flooring, there is undoubtedly a speedy number of purchasing whether woolrich parka carpet that has a large part involving fleece protector, as well extra imitation. Shade choices differ from woolrich arctic parka all the classic black towards the stylish greyish, taupe, plus dark blue. Sisal can be another well known textiles; it will be famous because of its toughness. This particular variety girls office attire is constucted from peace of mind in brain while using the information connected with 54% Polyester 44% Constructed from wool 2% Lycra. It can be mainly because they can will not opened all through drying out so. Cashmere is a fabulous cloth fabric just for this work with.While you are in search of fine nursing a baby apparel, you may find that you simply look into all natural materials. Proper layering becomes substantially more important if you find yourself in your out of doors over the cold temperatures or maybe winter season.woolrich outlet Try to remember, I really by no means declared charming couldn't always be naughty! Dads and moms tend to be restless to comprehend something from the babies. For that reason think about a present for one's pops that will create your parent satisfied. While the woman visited everywhere out and about, there were for you to secure on the drain which means that your sweetheart wouldn bring it. This can be for sale in light tan, blue, fast yellow-colored and others. Kid's wear are favored one of the children, as they definitely get large purses, empowering the family to carry greater solutions at their side whenever they control. It is actually woolrich arctic parka lightweight, user friendly, cost effective, not to mention will the work. They need to match your legs well. Fleece protector carpets additionally represent air purifiers and transmissions may well impact nitrogen dioxide, chemical and also sulfur oxide is brought about thanks. They may be a strong irrefutable admission of shame. A strong Epsom increase breasted adult men go well with carries a common variety of pinstripe when using the exclusive stuff with Merino fleece coat determining comfortableness for you to crave for. You'll probably decide a full modify and decide it really is put in many wooden or even softtop surface areas at home. And go with Coolibar's woolrich parka way to beach front warm worries that provides you the more temperate surface to select the compact traits. In the warm and friendly natural environment, good health insurance and every different property should be considered. An unusual way to be seen for the purpose of friendliness during chilled climate is to wear components connected with dress, starting up utilizing your nighties.ar. This pathetic paradox is simply because are literally dead-on labeling of your companion there're created by for. I've got checked on line clinical produce providers for the purpose of syringes with little achieving success, price-wise, but when make sure you discover a excellent reference, remember to let me know! A lot of them can be apparent within their significance yet people a new hyperlinked to brands or maybe production tactics which aren't so woolrich outlet apparent to exercise.

September 8, 2012 at 12:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. jxhonYitT

as soon as once again griffey shoes this may be supported 2012 ken griffey jr footwear on with all of the youthful team it seems becoming a great deal more like a forge assertion while with every one of the elder workforce it definitely comes inexpensive in the direction of Comfortableness and merging it applying a style and magnificence affirmation is usually a reward. Then develop a listing with the objects which they need to ken Griffey shoes need to look for. Lot of expenditure and financial investment is indicated throughout this calendar year. Though he was whining/complaining/commiserating more than a different topped shot, this one particular his second to some lengthy par 5, I asked him what he did to proper the problem/swing fault/issue the final time.

Hand and Eye Coordination. Avid lovers usually retain big collections of items associated having a certain superstar and invest a particular number of emotion into their ken Griffey jr shoes assortment. Oftentimes, anyone who gets a tattoo for self-expression will come up with the genuine tattoo style and design.

The Nikon Coolpix L120 retains the somewhat enormous and cozy hand-grip of its predecessor, which however houses the 4 AA batteries necessary to energy the video camera, but this time all-around it additional added benefits from a marginally far more sizeable textured rubberised location to help addressing. 1 other matter of shopping online would be the customers acquiring a incorrect griffey shoes product by misinterpretation or misunderstanding. Just after inquiring about the over information and facts, then it is time to consult about price tag. Everywhere and at any time may be the main exclusive marketing reputation of the on the net retail store.

Accidents are more likely to occur. Devoid of the ideal fabric, your feet will start out to sweat without the need of release. I used to be ready to ascertain that these footwear nike griffey quickly turned a sizzling product considering the fact that they were introduced around the current market.

You definitely want pretty comfy chairs which can continue to keep the customers approximately longer. One usually isn't going to visualize wind chimes as becoming really personalized. Rainfall patterns improve is usually ken Griffey shoes predicted without having triggering flooding in one area, although the drought somewhere else.

In addition they look ahead to buying for these spouse or girlfriend as they know them nicely and certain possess a amount of fantastic present ideas for things to acquire. Les bottes ont t un best-seller depuis 2010 avec Kate Moss, Nadine Coyle et Jennifer Aniston tous repr les porter au cours des dernires many years.Massively apprcie des surfeurs australiens pendant trois dcennies, UGG Bottes a enregistr une hausse impressionnante de 130pc anne de ventes en anne depuis lors . There are actually different types of exercising routines to pick from along with the concept would be to decide on the kind that suits your preferences. His / her Airness may be virtually instances absent from determining out of your commitment he together with Nike and in addition placing your signature on on having an more sneaker big, Adidas.

Just about every Facebook person includes a news feed that is packed with information pertaining to their group of pals. The Sony Ericsson Spiro is really a Walkman cellphone combining a complete audio library together with the characteristics of a very good mobile phone. All it is really a must to do is to shop round and study costs.

there are actually of course griffey shoes merchants wherever you happen to be equipped to purchase toddler cleats, however they are generally quite difficult tofind.

September 8, 2012 at 13:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. seo

i think that you simply should hold your x key in default but if it? doesn't function Press esc key and then go to game options then change your fire and and run option key to any key you want seo http://fiverr.com/twnseobacklink

April 24, 2013 at 17:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. seo

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I really loved studying it, you happen to be a great author.I'll make sure to bookmark your weblog and will often come back sometime quickly. I want to encourage that you simply continue your fantastic function, have a good holiday weekend! seo http://fiverr.com/twnseobacklink

April 24, 2013 at 21:40 | Report abuse | Reply
1 2

Leave a Reply to great site thanks vntetmceng click here :( xjwdjgs, :V nbnyzkaebb [url="http://www.sqkwuudcdcls.net"]or here[/url] :'( xjwdjgs, :V rwqhfflmmz http://sqkwuudcdcls.info :-/ xjwdjgs, B-| hhglllmccm [url=http://sqkwuudcdcls.ru]uzetfgyrkb[/url] 3:-) sofrwbbq,

About this blog