home
RSS
Marijuana nearly doubles risk of collisions
February 9th, 2012

Marijuana nearly doubles risk of collisions

We hear a lot about the hazards of drunk driving, but here's something else to put on your radar: A study in the British Medical Journal found that marijuana nearly doubles the risk of vehicle collisions.

Researchers conducted a systematic review of nine studies on the subject of marijuana and driving accidents, which incorporated almost 50,000 participants.

Alcohol impairs drivers' speed and reaction time, while cannabis affects spatial location, said Mark Asbridge, associate professor in the Department of Community Health and Epidemiology at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Among impaired drivers, fatally injured drivers, and motor vehicle crash victims, marijuana is the most prevalent illegal drug that has been detected, according to the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse.

Drivers who have recently smoked marijuana may follow cars too closely, and swerve in and out of lanes, Asbridge said.

People who are impaired by alcohol often recognize that they're impaired by alcohol, but "people under the influence of cannabis often deny feeling impaired in any way," Asbridge noted.

It's not unusual for young people to go to a party and give the "designated driver" responsibility to the person who uses marijuana, Asbridge said.

"There clearly is a lot of misconception about the extent to which cannabis impairs performance," he said. "People just don't believe it."

As with alcohol, cannabis has different effects on different people. People metabolize cannabis in different ways.  Some inhale more than others.

The effects of cannabis tend to wear off within three to four hours, whereas alcohol can mess your thinking up longer. Depending on how much you drank, you may not be able to drive for up to 12 hours after you finish drinking.

If the driver is 35 or younger, there's a higher likelihood of marijuana consumption leading to collisions, previous research has found.

There's not enough information known about the effects of marijuana doses on collisions - in other words, what level of cannabis in a person's system correlates most with crashes.

And Asbridge's conclusions are based on observational studies, meaning there were no controlled conditions imposed to look at the effects of marijuana.

One problem in some of the existing research is that there was no measurement of cannabis within two to three hours of driving. Inactive metabolites of THC, a chemical found in marijuana,  can be present in urine for weeks or even a month after usage; marijuana usage so long ago would not affect driving performance or collisions. So Asbridge's group looked only at studies where there was a recent measurement. They also looked at studies that looked at both drivers who used marijuana and those who did not to compare the collision rate.

To deter marijuana usage just before driving, there is roadside testing for cannabis in Australia, western Europe and the United States, Wayne Hall of the University of Queensland in Australia said in an accompanying editorial.

Hall called for further research to evaluating the impact of roadside drug testing on preventing driver deaths connected to vehicle accidents and cannabis use.

soundoff (1,501 Responses)
  1. Irish Warrior

Yes but with pot you and wait an hour and you are sober again.

February 9, 2012 at 21:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gary

lol, if its crappy pot maybe

February 9, 2012 at 21:32 | Report abuse |
  2. Andrew

REEFER MADNESS

February 9, 2012 at 21:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jay

i had to stop reading at "People who are impaired by alcohol often recognize that they're impaired by alcohol,".. they CANNOT be serious!! most of the fatalities are caused by people who think they are "okay to drive" .. this story is so full of it!!!

February 9, 2012 at 21:34 | Report abuse |
    • Jaymstah

So true.. it's quite sad really.

February 9, 2012 at 21:35 | Report abuse |
  3. .....

Let me save you all some time. To sum up this article....

Driving under the influence of any substance that impairs you is bad.

People who have accidents while impaired lie about it. The part where they say people impaired by alcohol recognize it and people impaired by MJ don't is absolutely ridiculous and patently false.

Younger people are more likely to have accidents than older people.

There you go, now you know what's in the article. I wonder how much money was spent on this "research". I would have shared that information with them for free had they just asked.

February 9, 2012 at 21:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ruserious

I think the article left out that all of the collisions happened at a very low rate of speed, next to fast food establishments.

February 9, 2012 at 21:21 | Report abuse |
    • jaredallas

Exactly. I wish people would save time reading the story and just read your comment.

February 9, 2012 at 21:31 | Report abuse |
  4. twang

I wonder how much the government paid for this BS study.? I wonder how many people are stup!d enough to believe it?

February 9, 2012 at 21:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joe Lawman

I believe it 100%, and I think state and local governments should take this report seriously enough to begin random traffic checkpoints to test people for marijuana just like they already do for alcohol. Here in my small city in Californa, random checkpoints are set up to test people for alcohol and they catch a lot of people every time not only for alcohol, but for other offenses like no driver license, no seatbelts, no insurance, wants and warrants, and for illegal immigrants, although they have to let the illegal immigrants go in California since their slave labor is so important to the economy. This report on marijuana should give them a new reason to increase traffic checkpoints and haul in more revenue badly needed by the state.

February 9, 2012 at 21:21 | Report abuse |
    • Marion

I just realized the study was not done in U.S.:

February 9, 2012 at 21:23 | Report abuse |
    • Eric

You must be a moron if you don't think being high changes your ability to operate. You clearly are delusional or have never been high. Alternatively you are one of those retards who thinks they are god when they are high.

February 9, 2012 at 21:25 | Report abuse |
    • Brandon

Joe, how exactly do you expect police at random checkpoints to test for marijuana? Conduct blood tests? This article is bogus and you're clueless.

February 9, 2012 at 21:26 | Report abuse |
    • lloyd roberts

Tell you what lawman, there was study done in the 80's by NHTSA and the results scared the government. NHTSA was barely able to detect impaired driving on marijuana and the accident rate was almost 75 percent less than alcohol drivers. The results were buried because they were not in the governments favor. But some clever Googling will reveal since the Freedom of Information act was used to make it public. This study seems to be biased because of the emphasis on law enforcement

February 9, 2012 at 21:31 | Report abuse |
  5. G$

Brilliant idea by the author with the anti pot agenda, now others will be able to use this as a reference when they spew the same BS.

February 9, 2012 at 21:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marion

It will be all over the news.....the media loves this kind of b.s. because they know how gullible viewers are.

February 9, 2012 at 21:25 | Report abuse |
    • Dominick

It's like those same people with the anti-alcohol agenda, saying alcohol impares your ability to drive. LIARS!!!

February 9, 2012 at 21:30 | Report abuse |
    • anon

I strongly support legalization but no drug is without risks; I know for a fact that cannabis can impair your ability to drive.

February 9, 2012 at 21:35 | Report abuse |
  6. Wow

Lol...... It is hilarious that people believe this

February 9, 2012 at 21:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jay

right? i love this part "People who are impaired by alcohol often recognize that they're impaired by alcohol,".. on what planet? ha ha ha!!!

February 9, 2012 at 21:35 | Report abuse |
    • anon

The science is sound.

February 9, 2012 at 21:35 | Report abuse |
    • tacc2

anon: There is no science here. There was no hypothesis, no controlled experiments, and no results of said experiments for peer review. At best it's statistics. They try their damnedest to not allow real science to be done on cannabis because the conclusions don't support their failed and illogical policies.

February 10, 2012 at 14:41 | Report abuse |
  7. ksjpw

yeah. sure. whatever. More CNN lies.

February 9, 2012 at 21:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. John Peters

It has been many years since I've smoked Marijuana........It has also been a while since i herd a ball-face lie.

February 9, 2012 at 21:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. cosmicsnoop

Amateurs.

February 9, 2012 at 21:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Richard Cheese

More propaganda aimed at keeping marijuana illegal. LEGALIZE IT already.

February 9, 2012 at 21:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Eric

I agree lets legalize it just so we can prove this study right. Sure it should be legal. But it is also a mind altering drug and if you honestly don't think it impairs your ability to manage a vehicle you clearly have never been high or you are one of those annoying "I can do anything" high people.

February 9, 2012 at 21:26 | Report abuse |
  11. ksjpw

How many DEATHS FROM ALCOHOL are reported everyday? How many DEATHS FROM TOBACCO are there everyday? These are the LEGAL DRUGS and that is messed up. Cigarette and alcohol companies do not want marijuana legal because it would erase their profits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 9, 2012 at 21:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • KB

i agree with most of what you say... but you left out a key phrase. "They THINK" their profits will be erased, but the truth is: most of the people who smoke marijuana also usually enjoy tobacco and alcohol products! if the tobacco companies also grew MJ they would most likely INCREASE their profits!

February 9, 2012 at 21:20 | Report abuse |
  12. John Peters

Im sure they realize that the only people to believe this are those who never smoked...Although Bill Clinton never inhaled
    He knows this is not true : )

February 9, 2012 at 21:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Eric

I've smoked and I think it should be legal. I also am not a moron who thinks it doesn't impair your mind. You are a tool of the hippy pot head movement if you are that delusional (sadly not even the pot could cause your level of delusion if it did that would be a huge argument against weed but alas you are just a moron).

February 9, 2012 at 21:28 | Report abuse |
  13. JJ

"There's not enough information known about the effects of marijuana doses on collisions – in other words, what level of cannabis in a person's system correlates most with crashes."..."And Asbridge's conclusions are based on observational studies, meaning there were no controlled conditions imposed to look at the effects of marijuana"

Wow! Enough said! So basically, CNN just sensationalized this rinky-dink "study" for what? What angle is CNN playing here?

February 9, 2012 at 21:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • tacc2

Pleasing their government minders most likely.

February 10, 2012 at 14:43 | Report abuse |
  14. JoeyE

I know you said it is bad for accident.. I strongly disagreed.. quit lying to us.. I used to smoke weed for 22 years and I did smoke while driving.. NOT happened to me at all.. I was AWARE of anywhere I went.. stop spreading the LIES!!!! I have many friends who smokes/smoked weeds.. not even happen to them too.. so CNN, Lobbyists and politicans that are against marijuana , knows NOTHING!!!!

February 9, 2012 at 21:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Walker

I agree. On the same note, I also have drank and drive over 300 times in my life, sometimes extremely heavily to the point where I could barely walk, without an accident. It is these same lies that propegate the BS coming from people like MADD and Nancy Reagan that are ruining our culture.

February 9, 2012 at 21:34 | Report abuse |
    • tacc2

Walker: You're an idiot. I challenge you to a duel to the death. Here's how it will work. We'll both get into separate cars and start driving around separate closed tracks at say 80mph. Then we start getting intoxicated. For every joint I smoke, you have to do a shot or drink a beer. We'll see who makes it out alive. I bet it won't be you...

February 10, 2012 at 14:51 | Report abuse |
  15. JJ

PROPAGANDA B.S.!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 9, 2012 at 21:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. SLB From SLC

Its 4:20 Time Not Miller Time

February 9, 2012 at 21:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • anon

Maybe so, but that doesn't stop Budweiser, which actually helps fund the federal government's so-called War on Drugs, from placing ads during family sporting events to "Go grabs some buds."

February 9, 2012 at 21:38 | Report abuse |
  17. JJ

CNN is part of the propaganda machine!

February 9, 2012 at 21:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Chris

I feel like this is ammo for the anti marijuana folks. We must keep in mind that putting make up, drinking, smoking, talking and eating impair driving. The population that is advocating for the legalization of marijuana is not advocating taking while operating a vehicle.

February 9, 2012 at 21:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. KB

This is clearly a lie. If smoking marijuana DOUBLES the likelihood of getting into a collision, then TWO THIRDS of ALL traffic collisions would have a stoned person behind the wheel. This is NOT the case. Also, this study does not seem to acknowledge the fact that it only matters who CAUSED the accident, not just who was IN an accident. ("Among impaired drivers, fatally injured drivers, and motor vehicle crash victims, ") Crash VICTIMS?? Why would you blame the VICTIMS??? What if all the pot smokers are getting T-Boned? In THAT case I would say smoking pot should be MANDATORY!

February 9, 2012 at 21:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. ksjpw

ILLEGALIZE TOBACCO THEN ! ! ! It kills everyday!

February 9, 2012 at 21:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. jb

LOL, just a couple of days ago the headline was Study: Legal medical marijuana cuts traffic deaths. All these learned researchers, what a was of money.

February 9, 2012 at 21:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Common Sense

"Asbridge's conclusions are based on observational studies, meaning there were no controlled conditions imposed to look at the effects of marijuana." Observational studies??? No controlled conditions??? I'll bet anything this was a government run study that bilked tax payers for a few million. What a waste of money. Hey Assbridge!!!! Get a REAL job!!!!

February 9, 2012 at 21:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Tara

I'm calling BS on this one.

February 9, 2012 at 21:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. SLB From SLC

Its 4:21 and I am still in Control.

February 9, 2012 at 21:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. HughJassle

funny... marijuana stays in the blood for 30 days at least... so many of the users in these accidents could have used a onth or earlier before they had an accident... you mean to tell me they were still high a month later?

February 9, 2012 at 21:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. brettharte

sponsored by the Partnership of Drug Free America, Anheuser Busch, and the Mormon Church.

February 9, 2012 at 21:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • tacc2

...and the prison workers union.

February 10, 2012 at 15:00 | Report abuse |
  27. G.M.

More BS lies from CNN.

February 9, 2012 at 21:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. manomundo

This article seems to have hit a nerve. All the agitated potheads have to do is avoid driving after toking and they can prevent substantial death and injury. Is that so difficult?

February 9, 2012 at 21:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • tacc2

The problem is that all of us rational people are sick of being lied to. Do a double blind, controlled study on this and then we'll talk. I think everyone can agree that it's not a good idea to drive while impaired...on ANYTHING. However, some things are worse than others and we're calling BS on this.

February 10, 2012 at 15:03 | Report abuse |
  29. KC

As with alcohol you shouldn't drink/smoke and drive, we all know this. This is just an inflammatory article in support of a anti pot agenda. Shame on Elizabeth Landau hack

February 9, 2012 at 21:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Frank James

And the Potheads want tot legalize this crap!

February 9, 2012 at 21:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jwest

thas right.

February 9, 2012 at 21:26 | Report abuse |
    • Breck

Because having it illegal is doing such a great job at ensuring no one is smoking anymore.

February 10, 2012 at 14:16 | Report abuse |
    • tacc2

Right...because since it's illegal no one uses it. It's just so much better to have Mexican cartels killing people over the obscene profits prohibition creates. It's just great that kids can buy it right now, have it delivered directly to their home and never be asked for an ID. Can you call the local alcohol dealer and get service like that?

February 10, 2012 at 15:07 | Report abuse |
  31. Uncle Dutch

Hysterical tabloid hog swill...I don't like to drive stoned or drunk, and have managed to assiduously avoid any undesired interaction with the pin heads in blue by knowing how long before I have to cease imbibing either substance before climbing into any motor vehicle I'm stuck with driving. That said, when I'm virtual racing online, I'm usually blazing up in the pit stops and having the time of my life. If I wreck, which is rare, I can just reset. See...I'm an adult and I don't have a problem with knowing which side of the ethical fence I like to stay on. Some people shouldn't smoke pot...and some people can't handle caffeinated beverages. More people wreck lighting cigarettes and smoking in their car, than do stoners who smoked before driving. I'll bet more people have died changing the station on their radio than have died under the influence of God's Handy Little Herb. Another fear-mongering hit-piece from the pharmaceutical lobby Wurlitzer. Next...

February 9, 2012 at 21:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Common Sense

What a poorly written article. CNN must have hired a retarded monkey to write this BS!!!

February 9, 2012 at 21:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. jwest

pulling facts out of your butt, doesn't made it so. I:ve smoked for 40 years, only had one fenderbender after football game, most of the people leaving were were stewed. Dont know where you get your facts, but you dont have a clue about any of this stuff. dork

February 9, 2012 at 21:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Scotty

I smoked marijuana for 10+ years and this doesn't surprise me one bit. I can't count how many times I got "too stoned" and got into my car to leave somebody's house, and was so retarded I barely could remember how to start the car let alone find my way home. And of course if you've had a couple drinks before smoking then you can be even more impaired. Anyone who smokes weed and claims they've never had this happen to them is lying, plain and simple. Or they didn't smoke more than a puff, or it was low quality weed. I am one of those people that used to drive very conservative and (what I believe was) almost BETTER while high, but there were plenty of occasions where I had laid off the smoke for a while and then proceeded to get too ripped and felt retarded behind the wheel. I can say that alcohol is much worse and truly impairs your motor skills and situational awareness, whereas Mary Jane is more of a mentally spaced-out kind of drug where you'll have moments of feeling dumb or not pay attention. Alcohol is the true devil when it comes to driving, no question. MJ also will wear off pretty fast if you're willing to wait it out before driving, whereas alcohol you're pretty much plastered for many hours. The real threat on the road isn't marijuana, but to say it doesn't impair driving and raise the risk of an accident is being naive. Double the risk sounds a bit high, however.

February 9, 2012 at 21:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Eric

Thank you one of the few people with sense in here. It should be legal. It should not be legal to drive impaired because it makes you a more dangerous driver period.

February 9, 2012 at 21:30 | Report abuse |
    • Scotty

My point was that Marijuana CAN impair judgement, for better or worse, but when it comes down to it WEED IS NOT THE BAD GUY. Booze and cell phones and old people who haven't had to pass driving tests are the real culprits. In all of my day-to-day driving it is never the stoner-looking kids who are causing problems... it's the middle aged women chatting on their cell phones, old people who look lost in zombieland, and guys trying to be hot shots by driving too aggressive. The stoned kids behind the wheel are easy to pick out, because they're NOT sticking out. They drive slow, stay in their lane, and if anything drive like a conservative older driver... the good ones. There are many more important things to worry about on the street than kids who are stoned. What us responsible adults should do is never get behind the wheel in any condition where we feel way out of it. Even being tired as hell can tweak with your mind like an illegal drug.

February 9, 2012 at 21:34 | Report abuse |
    • Scotty

Eric: I completely agree. I am all for people getting as high as they want any day of the week, AT HOME, but I don't want you stoned and on the road if I have a say about it, even if you aren't the biggest threat out there. I also don't want people stoned on their jobs, because it can still affect service or raise the chances of an accident. It should be illegal to get behind a wheel under the influence of anything, and while most can have 1 beer and be fine, 1 bowl of marijuana might send your mind to an alternate universe....

February 9, 2012 at 21:38 | Report abuse |
  35. Dylan

Stupid article. Driving under the influence of ANYTHING will impair your judgement. Marijuana and Alcohol will both make you follow closer to other cars, BOTH will make you swerve out of your lane. This article smacks of "Oh oh oh see how bad marijuana is? We can't make this natural substance legal–it kills!!"

Alcohol is worse.

February 9, 2012 at 21:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Brandon

I can see the people who came up with this ridiculous conclusion already... "But how do we combat the millions of people who smoke weed and safely drive around? We'll just say they're delusional and that they're really bad drivers!"

February 9, 2012 at 21:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Anonaki

CNN is grasping at straws here, you're losing many viewers because you have submitted to this complete BS propaganda – any literate person can see through it. I will not be coming back.

February 9, 2012 at 21:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Eric

Good you are a delusional under educated moron. I know it can make you a worse driver. Maybe not as bad as booze but still to a level that should make it illegal to drive. Yes it should be legal but denying it hurts your ability to function is not helping the cause.

February 9, 2012 at 21:32 | Report abuse |
  38. Brandon

I wonder how many more accidents are caused by people driving under legal, pharmaceutical drugs? You know, the kind that kill thousands of people each year? Compare that to the 0 people that marijuana has killed...

February 9, 2012 at 21:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. alice58

this story is BS - there was another story just a few months ago that said that MJ smokers were much better drivers and had less accidents...dont believe this story for a second - lies lies lies

February 9, 2012 at 21:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Will

"It is often _______" and "Its not unusual for ______" THIS IS NOT JOURNALISM OR SCIENCE. It is propaganda. Maybe research should be done on the health effects of jail, or on preventing regulation of drug dosage or purity by prohibition laws.

February 9, 2012 at 21:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Patrick

Ive been smoking weed for 3 years, I'm 19. I drove 4500 miles in the last 2 months. Locally. No wrecks.. No problems.. Infact people said I was really good at driving.. Whoever payed for this add can go eat a pickle!

February 9, 2012 at 21:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Poodles

mmm, pickles

February 9, 2012 at 21:50 | Report abuse |
  42. QuietStormX

I saw this Headline, and said DA! As I read this I said why didn't they use a controled study to come to this result? If you're impared by Drink or Joint, there is a big difference. You would know if you smoked a joint you know the buzz would relax you and make you have the munchees. Then take some rest... With a Drink you know when you've had enough. I've never really been Drunk or that impared. I'm not a Drinker. And you're very stupid to get behind the wheel Buzzed. If you have ever done that with no incidents, you now the deal. Not to do it again. If you get caught impared like that I feel you should not be aloued to Drive for at least 6 or 12 months so you can think about it if you are still here or no one is effected. I feel you have to try a joint to feel the effects and what it generally does to everyone then write about it honestly. You can't OD on a Joint!

February 9, 2012 at 21:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Derrick

How is this news? I think pot-smokers no it's not a good idea to drive high, just as people who use alcohol know not to drink and drive.

I think this is obvious. Drugs and driving is bad. I'm still not sure why the media wants to make weed seem more harmful than alcohol and tobacco.

Seems silly to me, and I think CNN's readers are smarter than this. Shame on you CNN. Step your game up.

February 9, 2012 at 21:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. alice58

also there is absolutely no way to know that a person is under the influence just because they have THC in their system - so many freakin lies about MJ is sickening - of course most of these studies wont tell the truth - that humans have an entire system in their bodies that are waiting for cannaboids and that it's even present in utero stupid freakin' humans

February 9, 2012 at 21:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Mike B

Stupid study. The funny thing is that the U.S Government will not allow studies that would further promote the benefits of Marijuana but they will fund and publish this rubbish??? I think Milk is a leading cause of car accidents. How many people drink a cup of milk and then get in an accident that day. Stupid Propaganda is Propaganda.

February 9, 2012 at 21:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Derrick

know* it's not a good idea... Sorry typed quicker than I wanted to.

February 9, 2012 at 21:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. sayitaintso

This explains why Ron Paul rides a bike.

February 9, 2012 at 21:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Common Sense

I wonder what the percentage of accidents with people under the influence of caffeine are? 80% Higher?? CAFFEINE KILLS!!!

February 9, 2012 at 21:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Gary

Any current or former Pot smoker could have admitted this without "research". Ive smoked heaps of bud in my time, and with the jacked up science growing it now, makes it mega powerful. I think its great as a puffer, but do I need to be on the road? Hell no

February 9, 2012 at 21:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Herbert

I've smoked often and on varying degrees. From bowls to joints to bongs to more obsure things like incinerators and using an apple or carrot. I can say that in all ways, it effects your abilities. Otherwise people would not do it. You should not be able to drive stoned and should face the same wrath as drunk drivers if you do. However, pot should be legal, just as alcohol is.

February 9, 2012 at 21:36 | Report abuse | Reply