home
RSS
Why I orgasmed in an MRI scanner
January 27th, 2012

Why I orgasmed in an MRI scanner

Kayt Sukel is a passionate science writer and the author of "Dirty Minds: How our brains influence love, sex and relationships" - an edgy, irreverent book that examines all the ways our neurons can wreak havoc with our hearts.

Let me just get this out of the way upfront: I had an orgasm in a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scanner.

That is, as background research for my book, "Dirty Minds: How our brains influence love, sex and relationships," I participated in a study at Rutgers University where scientists measured the activity in my brain as I self-stimulated to an orgasm.

I wasn’t the first woman to participate in one of these studies - and I won’t be the last.

I know, it’s controversial and perhaps even a bit shocking. And, because of that, I expected readers and commenters to make a few jokes at my expense (and perhaps even question my character) when I wrote about the experience.

But what I didn’t expect was so much outrage about sex research in general.

Time and time again, regardless of the publication discussing my fMRI orgasm, commenters wrote things like, “If only researchers were as interested in finding a cure for cancer,” and “I can’t believe my tax dollars are going to pay for such useless research.”

How can the study of human sexuality be considered useless? This is something that is prevalent in each and every one of our lives. When we’re not having sex, we’re talking about it. When we’re not talking about it, we’re thinking about it. And when we’re not thinking about it, we worry that something is wrong with us.

Sex is a primary source of human motivation and can change the way we act and the way we feel in quite dramatic ways. And this isn’t something that occurs solely in the privacy of our bedrooms: You see sex at play in advertising and marketing, in problems in the work place, in self-esteem and identity, in pleasure and reward, and also in the spread of sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies.

Human sexuality has direct influence over so many aspects of day-to-day life. Understanding such a universal phenomenon is never useless. Yet, many want to discount its importance - and its study.

In the 1940s and 1950s, Alfred Kinsey, esteemed biologist and founder of the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction, pioneered the study of sexual behavior with the publication of the Kinsey Reports. That work was the first of its kind: a systematic, scientific approach to understanding variation in normal sexual behavior. And, thankfully, his work has inspired countless brave scientists in the decades since to buck the status quo and study human sexuality.

Yet, while we’ve come a long way in our understanding the biology of sex, there is still plenty left to discover. We now have a good deal of data on the mechanics of sexual behavior.

But as anyone who has ever been involved in a sexual relationship knows, there’s a lot more to sex than pure mechanics - a heck of a lot more. The blossoming field of neuroscience, including neuro-imaging studies like the orgasm one I participated in as well as cellular and molecular research, is now offering us a new window of understanding into age-old questions about sex and related behaviors by focusing on all the ways our brains influence our behaviors.

During the course of my research for "Dirty Minds," I asked neuroscientific researchers about the greatest challenges involved in studying human sexuality. I expected to hear concerns about finding study participants willing to be honest about their sex lives or if what was learned in the laboratory could really be applied to real-world behaviors.

But unanimously, the scientists I talked to said their greatest challenge was finding research grants and financial support for their work. Because so many of us are peevish about the study of sex, funding agencies can be, too. But none of us should be. Human sexuality is important - and its study is something we should all get behind. Because we can’t begin to have discussions about how to best deal with problems concerning sexual behavior, sexual function and sexual intimacy until we have a better handle on what’s normal.

Time and time again, I’m asked how I managed to have an orgasm in an fMRI scanner. But that’s not the right question. The important question is why I had an orgasm in an fMRI scanner. And that’s to help further our understanding of orgasm and human sexuality. When I say I came for the science - I mean it. And it’s my hope that more people will do the same in the future.

Post by:
Filed under: Sex

1. Really??

Why is it that so many people keep saying why are you wasting space with this article on the fornt page?? are you kidding me? would you like more people to be dying right now or other tradgedies to happen so you can read about it? you are all sick! im glad this is front page because it means no mass murders are being committed right now and this was the best they could come up with on short notice and why did you click on the link? oh wait thats right becuase it had the word se x in it so you got interested and clicked on it, so who is the real sicko? yea maybe all you science bashers should take some personal reflection time and get over it she wasnt having an orgasm in a wierd place for fun she is doing research that for all you know could save lives or at the very least make our lives better some day. And please stop crying about "this is where my money goes?" i highly doubt this was a multi million dollar experiment, she just needed enough money to rent the MRI for the day and its not like you "donate" that much anyway so shut up. You people who oppose sex research are prude and pathetic. We all got to this earth because 2 people had sex so why is it such a taboo to talk or research about it?

January 27, 2012 at 11:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom

This is what happens when media outlets are privately owned, they are looking for profits. They don't exactly care so much about telling you every story that is important, rather they have stories that will entertain and keep you browsing. Is it news? Not really, choose a better site if you are looking for substance. Reddit maybe?

January 27, 2012 at 11:43 | Report abuse |
    • Kit

Really? You seriously believe that no mass murders were committed anywhere in the entire world while you were reading this article? And if we're against this "lady's" self-promotion and lack of judgement, we're prudes and "against" sex research? You are either very young or very naive.

January 27, 2012 at 11:43 | Report abuse |
    • nick

kit we have enough sex research its a very simple concept you stick it in please the lady enjoy yourself and hopefully you dont have a kid unless your in to that kind of stuff

January 27, 2012 at 11:56 | Report abuse |
    • Henry

CNN uses a formula that places stories on the front page, in large part, based on how many people read them. If you don't want it on the front page don't open the link. Eventually another story will replace it.

January 27, 2012 at 12:00 | Report abuse |
    • T3chsupport

If you want to read about mass murders, go back to the front page.

January 27, 2012 at 12:19 | Report abuse |
    • Really??

@Kit...How is she "self-promoting" herself? because she has to defend herself against people like you who apparently cringe when someone mentions they are performing research on s ex? i am probably younger than you but by no means young and that should tell you something that i am in my mid 20's yet i am grown up enough not to blush and get angry about a topic such as this, like i said before if you are so against it why are you even reading this article let alone commenting? oh yea thats right again because you are intereseted yet not grown up enough to admit it because "someone has to think of the children!". The author of this article did not write it to promote herself she wanted to raise awareness that our society is viewing legitimate research as "just some girl looking for attention and trying to get herself off"...you Kit need to grow up and act like an adult and accept that s ex is not a behind closed doors topic it is a real world topic and needs to be researched and discussed.

January 27, 2012 at 12:20 | Report abuse |
    • Kit

Really, reread and try to comprehend what I said. I am not against sex research...in fact, I'm all for it. Why do I consider this article nothing more than self-promotion? Because there's a link in the story that leads to an appeal to buy her book? Because she reveals her own name and obviously revels in her "accomplishment"....reread the very first paragraph in the article. You are trying to make a case by twisting what I said...and you're making an even bigger fool of yourself in the process. P.S. You're twenty and sooooo grown up??? LOL

January 27, 2012 at 12:30 | Report abuse |
    • Toby

I bet the part of her brain that lit up was the same part that has to do with shoes.

January 27, 2012 at 12:48 | Report abuse |
    • Really??

@Kit...I am going to say that again, how is it self promotion when she puts it first in article preceded by "let me just put it out there"...as in she is letting you know that the article is in reference to the backlash of her book, and theres a link to buy it because if you wrote a book would you not let people know where to find it and to read it for themselves so they can make their own decision. Also how am i looking like a fool when i did read your whole post yet you failed to read mine and i am not 20 i said MID twenties therefore i am 25 and yet this 25 yr old is still the grown up that doesnt call people foolish when they themselves are acting foolish by typing things like LOL at the end of their post becuase that is such a mature statement and makes your argument rock solid. Only immature people get angry when someone opposes their ideas with relevance and all they come back with is name calling im glad you are not the definition of a grown up.

January 27, 2012 at 12:59 | Report abuse |
  2. I still think...

'how' is as important question as 'why'. How'd you get an orgasm on an MRI?

January 27, 2012 at 11:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jpip

Exactly. Even more important considering that you're supposed to lie perfectly still while undergoing an MRI. Was it some sort of tantric thing? Need some damn detes up in here....

January 27, 2012 at 11:51 | Report abuse |
    • TRH

She explains how and why. Re-read the article....maybe you'll get a passing grade in reading comprehension.

January 27, 2012 at 11:51 | Report abuse |
    • steeve-o

She said she self-stimulated herself.

January 27, 2012 at 11:52 | Report abuse |
    • jpip

try getting published in Penthouse Forum saying "she self-stimulated herself". Dude, my man is looking for details here. Stop being so clinical...

January 27, 2012 at 11:56 | Report abuse |
  3. jml

I read the article and got all excited to have the imaging done on my knee. I was disappointed to find out the MRI didn't cause it. Oh well.

January 27, 2012 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. theDude

When she says about sex "we're either having/talking/thinking/or worrying about it" she is either lying to justify her research or she needs help. Sex is important, and great, but life is much more than sex.

January 27, 2012 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kit

Well said and I couldn't agree more.

January 27, 2012 at 11:38 | Report abuse |
    • Rico

You don't get what she's saying here. It's OK though, DUDE. Not everyone can read an article for what it's worth.

January 27, 2012 at 11:41 | Report abuse |
    • jwarino

issues much?

January 27, 2012 at 11:45 | Report abuse |
    • cannedtuna

you're an idiot and soo full of sheeeit....give your head a shake..life is important but without sex there is no life.

January 27, 2012 at 11:46 | Report abuse |
    • JenLaw

I'm with cannedtuna!!

January 27, 2012 at 11:50 | Report abuse |
  5. kleptiko

I had no orgasm reading this (note the verb; there is no verb "to orgasm" in the English language). There's nothing wrong with the research, but why this prurient article? Also, Kinsey was an inflator of his own sexual preferences and his demographic results with regard to gay sex have all been discredited.

January 27, 2012 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Zebula

Thanks for pointing that out, kleptiko. There are many more gay people than Kinsey estimated.

January 27, 2012 at 11:45 | Report abuse |
    • Steve O

Open a dictionary right now and look up "orgasm". You'll find an entry for both noun and verb.

January 27, 2012 at 11:52 | Report abuse |
  6. Kit

I admit it...I'm old and I miss the days when private matters were kept private. I'm not against sex research...it's Kayt Sukel's self-promotion and lack of judgement that makes me nauseous. If she truly participated in the experiments for science (and not notoriety for being easily brought to orgasm), she would have kept it anomomous. Perhaps she wouldn't have to rely on self-gratification if her potential partners weren't nervous about having their names and prowess (or lack of) blasted to the media.

January 27, 2012 at 11:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jwarino

great post

January 27, 2012 at 11:41 | Report abuse |
    • rlowens1

Your judgments lead me to believe you to be a Christian.

January 27, 2012 at 11:45 | Report abuse |
    • Kit

rlowens1, you assume too much...I am not a Christian.

January 27, 2012 at 11:48 | Report abuse |
    • Kit = No Fun

@Kit. We all wish you were still back in the old days as well.

January 27, 2012 at 11:48 | Report abuse |
    • rlowens1

@Kit:

Well, you could have fooled me.

January 27, 2012 at 11:50 | Report abuse |
    • Kit

Kit = No Fun, you would do well to examine why you feel the need to spew your discontent to someone who has not harmed you in any way, shape or form.

January 27, 2012 at 11:53 | Report abuse |
    • Kit

rlowens1, obviously, fooling you doesn't take any effort at all!

January 27, 2012 at 11:55 | Report abuse |
    • rlowens1

@ Kit:

Apparently so – you easily convinced me that you were a rightwing religious zealot without even mentioning Jesus.

January 27, 2012 at 11:59 | Report abuse |
    • Chris R

Look, keeping things like this private is counter productive. Sex *is* a fact of life. It's the *reason*, biologically speaking, why we are here. Instead of accepting it and being comfortable with it we have instead mad it shameful and wrong. Why is it that we can watch people killing each other on TV shows but we can't even talk about two people expressing their love for each other? Why is sex so shameful?

It shouldn't be so we should talk about it.

January 27, 2012 at 12:00 | Report abuse |
    • HankLion

WittyKitty...

January 27, 2012 at 12:06 | Report abuse |
    • Kit

rlowens1, Normally I wouldn't comment on anyone's level of intelligence but, if you insist.... I, too, was astounded by your lack of comprehension skills. I truly think it's because you are concentrating on your perceptions and not what is really being said..

January 27, 2012 at 12:06 | Report abuse |
    • rlowens1

@Kit:

I comprehended clearly everything you said – perhaps, too clearly. You reveal much about yourself in your diatribe against an honest researcher.

January 27, 2012 at 12:08 | Report abuse |
    • Kit

ChrisR: I clearly stated that I am NOT against sex research...only this "lady's" self promotion and lack of judgement. Read carefully before replying!

January 27, 2012 at 12:09 | Report abuse |
    • Kit

rlowens1, sweetheart, I'm sure you think I have and so far, you've been sooooooo right on in your interpretations! Why not throw in the towel before you make an even bigger fool of yourself?

January 27, 2012 at 12:15 | Report abuse |
    • rlowens1

@Kit:

Look, I concede that I may have been mistaken in my interpretation of you as a Christian – but, you did such a good impression of one, condescending judgments and all. But, one thing is clear – you're not a nice person and you're hung up about sex. You were "nauseated" by this researcher's "self-promotion" and "lack of judgment" – purely personal slams against someone who has neither said nor done anything to you – while you point out to someone else who slams you that you haven't done anything to them. Then, you cop this condescending nonsense with me. You're a real charmer, you are. How many decades has it been since you had an o-r-g-a-s-m, anyway?

January 27, 2012 at 12:23 | Report abuse |
    • Jim

All of you shut up. I was having a good time reading the funny and interesting posts. What a downer.

January 27, 2012 at 12:25 | Report abuse |
    • rlowens1

@Jim:

Sorry to shoot off in your corn flakes.

January 27, 2012 at 12:28 | Report abuse |
    • Kit

rlowens1, If you can give me one good reason why I should answer a question that is none of your business, I might consider answering. I am not against sex research and I'm not hung up on sex...but I most defintely am not fond of people who assume too much and then pout when they're wrong. You say I'm not a nice person....could that be because I responded to your unsolicited comments and misjudgements? You believe whatever you need to...your kind always does. Have a super day and an even better weekend!

January 27, 2012 at 12:43 | Report abuse |
    • rlowens1

Honestly, Kit, I don't care how long it's been since you last had an orgasm. It was a rhetorical question (a joke at your expense that went over your head). And, I have made no assumptions about you – I have merely let you know what kind of impression you are making on others, and it's not good.

January 27, 2012 at 12:49 | Report abuse |
  7. Tincup83

I remember my doctor told me I had to stop masterbating. When I asked him why he siad, "Because I'm trying to examine you."

January 27, 2012 at 11:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Duane

ROTFL!!!! Excellent post

January 27, 2012 at 11:43 | Report abuse |
    • Jack Wolfskin

hahahahahahahaha

January 27, 2012 at 11:46 | Report abuse |
    • FlyGuyInSJ

That's pretty funny, but it would have been even funnier if you knew how to spell...

January 27, 2012 at 12:16 | Report abuse |
    • Tincup83

Sorry Flyguyin, I was too busy masturbating to check my spelling.

January 27, 2012 at 12:19 | Report abuse |
    • Tincup83

It's hard to type with one hand.

January 27, 2012 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
    • Jim

YESSSS!!!! That made me laugh out loud!!! Good one!!!

January 27, 2012 at 12:28 | Report abuse |
  8. anna

Is there nothing more appropriate to write about??

January 27, 2012 at 11:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jack Wolfskin

Theres nothing vulgar or profain in the article...lighten up.

January 27, 2012 at 11:47 | Report abuse |
  9. jwarino

what a waste of time and money. i mean really who cares?

January 27, 2012 at 11:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Satisfied?

@jwarino – We all feel bad for your partner. Are you a never-nude as well?

January 27, 2012 at 11:50 | Report abuse |
    • Beats The Weather

@jwarino Really, who cares? You are reading it. And who cares about the weather, or who won the football game, or who is front runner for the GOP?... It's all news to different people.

January 27, 2012 at 12:10 | Report abuse |
  10. Tyokol

I was hoping to find some information in the article about the findings of the study 🙁

January 27, 2012 at 11:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jpip

By the book that they link to...

January 27, 2012 at 11:42 | Report abuse |
  11. rev obo

women are w h o r e s

January 27, 2012 at 11:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • rlowens1

Doesn't it s-u-c-k that you had to s-p-e-l-l- that out?

January 27, 2012 at 11:47 | Report abuse |
    • Shame on you rev!

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth? I sure she and your grandmothers would be thrilled to hear you speak so highly of them. Glad to see you took some time away from the old testament to share your putrid thoughts.

January 27, 2012 at 12:03 | Report abuse |
    • NUMBNUT

Too bad your IQ is smaller than the average woman's bra size.

January 27, 2012 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
  12. Brotherdavid

Sounds like my kind of woman.

January 27, 2012 at 11:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Rita

Very well said!!!!

January 27, 2012 at 11:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. jpip

Wait a minute, I thought that you had to lie perfectly still while undergoing an MRI? I got so bored when I got an MRI once. If I'd known I could have rubbed one out....

January 27, 2012 at 11:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. YOUR MOM

THIS IS YOUR MOTHER GET HOME RIGHT NOW

January 27, 2012 at 11:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Tincup83

Did the staff say, "Thank you. Come again."?

January 27, 2012 at 11:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Dai

Those interested in the topic may want to read this article. The author won a coveted Ig Nobel award for it.

January 27, 2012 at 11:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Todd

I wonder what an orgasm looks like when it shows up on an X-Ray. Beyond that...At $500 or more dollars a pop (pun intended) this has to be the most expensive orgams ever.

January 27, 2012 at 11:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RichWW2

MRI is different from X-rays, but they are just scanning the brain for neural activity. When you do different things, different parts of your brain would light up on the MRI. I take it they are trying to see which parts of the brain light up when people achieve orgasm. I would be interested to see if the brain lights up differently from doing it yourself vs doing it with a partner...however having sex in an MRI machine could prove quite difficult...

January 27, 2012 at 11:53 | Report abuse |
  19. Joe

No news here, Woody Allen discovered the "orgasmatron" over 25 years ago.

January 27, 2012 at 11:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tincup83

I'll have what she's eating.

January 27, 2012 at 11:58 | Report abuse |
  20. Bob The CPA

After reading this article, I don't know what to say. Well, no wait. Actually, yes I do.

"Kayt, would you like to go on a date Friday night?"

I wish all women were as confident, inquisitive, and sexually aware as Ms. Sukel. She's probably alot of fun – sexually AND intellectually stimulating.

January 27, 2012 at 11:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Joe

I think you could ask any scientist in any field what their greatest challenge is, and they will all say it's getting grants. NIH funding rates are so low that lots of worthy projects are not getting funded. I'd like to see a comparison of funding rates between studies in this field and others.

January 27, 2012 at 11:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. James

To the author of this article.... PICS or it did not happen.

Also, if she can achieve orgasm in a clinical setting like that, she better not EVER ...and I mean ever....have trouble doing so with her partner, lol.

January 27, 2012 at 11:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. mark williams

Kayt,

Kudos to you. People are so short sighted and willfully ignorant about scientific investigation. Yet, these same people benefit from all the great science going on. I also applaud you for participating. Sex is a huge part if not a central part of our lives. Even if you are religous and spend your days suppressing the thoughts, it is a centerpiece of life. And hey, you obviously have parts that are working great- I would have clammed up- I think. Perhaps not when I was 20 years old, but now that I am 40. Ignore the stupid comments above and hold your head high. Unfortunately most all of us are still so ashamed by sex that it really gets us bent out of shape when someone speaks so Frankly about it.

January 27, 2012 at 11:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. iziz1

did the technician come out in the scan???

January 27, 2012 at 11:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Bart Hawkins, San Antonio, TX

ALL research is useful. The fact that this particular research appears to the naive to be prurient is simply sillyness on their part.

Orgasm is by far – for most people – the most pleasurable instant of our lives, and frankly not repeated THAT often (relative to breathing, heartbeats, urination, showers, or in some cases....sadly....never).

The fact that the orgasmic response results in the exact same centers of the brain that are responsible for modulating addictive behavior is fundamentally interesting, as well.

As a biophysicist with two doctorates, I applaud this work and counsel you, the author, to listen to those who understand science, research, and the probes used to understand how the most complex "device," in the known Universe works – namely the human brain – rather than the Luddites who seem to populate these message boards.

January 27, 2012 at 11:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • FlyGuyInSJ

While I agree with everything you say, at the same time – in these days of really tight budgets – I have to ask if this is the best use of scarce research dollars. While I like orgasms as well as anyone and enjoy the fact that I'm very good at giving them to women as well, but there are so many things that kill or physically disable people that we could better spend those research dollars on. If the worst thing that ever happened to me was that I were to completely lose the ability to orgasm, well, I wouldn't have much to complain about in life, really. Far worse things than that have happened to me, and happen to others every minute of every day.

January 27, 2012 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
  26. Bob The CPA

After reading this article, I don't know what to say. Well, no wait. Yes I do.

"Kayt, would you like to go on a date Friday night?"

I wish all women were as confident, inquisitive, and sexually aware as Ms. Sukel. She's probably a lot of fun – sexually AND intellectually stimulating.

January 27, 2012 at 11:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Oven Doc

If Bob can't make it, I'll be happy to stand in! I am very "diverse" in my tastes and often find that if I try anything outside the "norm" it causes problems. If more women were as "free" as Kayt then I would be a much happier man! Keep it up and let me know if you ever need a male subject.. I'm sure I can supply hours of interesting scans!! ;o)

January 27, 2012 at 12:11 | Report abuse |
  27. John

Some of you little geniuses commenting about what an MRI is and what an MRI isn't should do a bit or reasearch. Perhaps then you'd have the appearance of being intelligent.

January 27, 2012 at 11:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. alateos

How about we just called it a fetish and move on. Thank you.

January 27, 2012 at 11:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. mike

I think it's worth finding out if sex cures cancer...

January 27, 2012 at 11:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Coach Ditka

"And when we’re not thinking about sex, we worry that something is wrong with us." Really? I mean, we have to leave some room for football, don't we?

January 27, 2012 at 11:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hardtalk

In fact, you have plenty of room for futbol, NASCAR, NFL, NBA, etc, etc, etc, etc, The more sex a country has, the happy they are as a society. Visit France, or Germany, or Sweden.

January 27, 2012 at 12:05 | Report abuse |
  31. steeve-o

I figured she was at the doctor's and needed an MRI, and with the cost of the procedure she was certainly getting screwed.

January 27, 2012 at 11:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. John

Here's the first clue that you are clueless:
    Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a test that uses a magnetic field AND pulses of radio wave energy to make pictures of organs and structures inside the body.
    Now, here's another hint. Check out what radio wave energy is classified as. SURPRISE!

January 27, 2012 at 11:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris R

Light is also classified as radiation. So is heat. So I'm not sure what your point is.

January 27, 2012 at 12:02 | Report abuse |
  33. Earnest T Bass

Now when she walks by someone using a microwave oven she'll start SCREAMING yes! Yes! YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!! OMG DON'T STOP!

January 27, 2012 at 11:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. KyRunner

why she orgazimed in an mri? because women can never control themselves... little jezebels

January 27, 2012 at 11:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Dr. B. Good...

My feeling on the matter is that we are going to need to do much more in depth research.

January 27, 2012 at 11:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. ghj

How many people think she faked her own orgasm?

January 27, 2012 at 11:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Why?

I think she's faking her life!

January 27, 2012 at 12:14 | Report abuse |
    • Jim

nice one.

this "why" person with the other comment, i can't tell if your comment was meant to be funny or harsh. if it was meant to be funny, try again.

January 27, 2012 at 12:21 | Report abuse |
  37. Awesome Article!

I have to agree with the supporters of the article. Information on research, for whatever topic, deserves space just as much as the next type. It's the uptight sector of our society that wants to keep information like this in the dark corners and only allow it out when they deem it relevant or it furthers their cause. As a person that has to keep his "true" self hidden and has hard times finding partners that will explore, I hope that more true research on these subjects come to light and help balance the lopsided culture we have become. Europe has been sexually free for decades and there is less crime associated with sexual reasons there. Pull this out of the dark and start to enjoy the world it brings!!

January 27, 2012 at 11:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Flora

I, for one, am glad this type of research continues. Although, I'm not one for the science-y end of studying human s e xuality – as a general history buff, one of my favortie topics is s e xual history. You'd be surprised how many aspects of our daily lives are tied to doing the Bedroom Boogie; everything from the bicycle to Civil Rights.

January 27, 2012 at 12:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Homer

Well Honey, here's your reality check. Money doesn't grow on trees.We're broke!

It's really a matter of priority.What money there is available for research needs to be used for things like cancer and aids not brain scans for you while you're getting off. I'll bet you're a liberal.

January 27, 2012 at 12:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Harvey Z.

People so easily discount and diminish the importance of this research until they end up with some type of sexual dysfunction (which a large percentage of the population have) and then they want a treatment (which this type of research leads to) NOW! Its all fun and games until it happens to you.

January 27, 2012 at 12:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Captain Jack

Only God will ever know how & what makes a woman tic. A woman trying to solve the mysteries of women is like a grape trying to figure out how to make WINE .

January 27, 2012 at 12:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. New York

BRASV to the writer of this article very courageous!

January 27, 2012 at 12:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. woops

oh. i thought the article was about how the MRI machine made her orgasm.
    but its just that they made her diddle herself while they watched her brain. cool waste of a few hours. thanks for the useless info, lady.

January 27, 2012 at 12:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jim

Dear woops, diddling yourself (or reading about someone diddling themselves) is never a waste of time.

January 27, 2012 at 12:18 | Report abuse |
  44. New York

BRAVO to the writer of this article, very courageous!

January 27, 2012 at 12:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. heimdal

the US is a very self repressed society specially with anything about sex to tthe point of preffering ignorance to understanding. If did this in various european countrys most noone would bat a eye at it. One the main reason's have such higher percentages on sex related issues like teen pregnancy in US compared to other countrys. We make it taboo instead a open subject so people understand things and kids arnt so inclined to try things secretly and in unsafe ways.

January 27, 2012 at 12:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Why?

So, what do "you" think she was thinking about when she had her MRI Orgasm? Is that why she names her book "Dirty Minds?"

January 27, 2012 at 12:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bobbie

she was thinking about a huge kokk in her Vwhole...what do you think she was thinking.

January 27, 2012 at 12:12 | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Come on Bobbie... kokk and v-hole? Really? I think the proper terminology is chacha and whooy

January 27, 2012 at 12:15 | Report abuse |
  47. Bobbie

I think its totally cool...

January 27, 2012 at 12:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Jim

All I know is that I would love to be a reseach assistant at Rutgers!!!

January 27, 2012 at 12:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. clarke

Well that was more interesting than any of the debates I have listened to.

January 27, 2012 at 12:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Cinman

Just way too many Puritans still live. They hate it when folks enjoy one of the great gifts we were given more than they do.

January 27, 2012 at 12:13 | Report abuse | Reply