home
RSS
Why I orgasmed in an MRI scanner
January 27th, 2012

Why I orgasmed in an MRI scanner

Kayt Sukel is a passionate science writer and the author of "Dirty Minds: How our brains influence love, sex and relationships" - an edgy, irreverent book that examines all the ways our neurons can wreak havoc with our hearts.

Let me just get this out of the way upfront: I had an orgasm in a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scanner.

That is, as background research for my book, "Dirty Minds: How our brains influence love, sex and relationships," I participated in a study at Rutgers University where scientists measured the activity in my brain as I self-stimulated to an orgasm.

I wasn’t the first woman to participate in one of these studies - and I won’t be the last.

I know, it’s controversial and perhaps even a bit shocking. And, because of that, I expected readers and commenters to make a few jokes at my expense (and perhaps even question my character) when I wrote about the experience.

But what I didn’t expect was so much outrage about sex research in general.

Time and time again, regardless of the publication discussing my fMRI orgasm, commenters wrote things like, “If only researchers were as interested in finding a cure for cancer,” and “I can’t believe my tax dollars are going to pay for such useless research.”

How can the study of human sexuality be considered useless? This is something that is prevalent in each and every one of our lives. When we’re not having sex, we’re talking about it. When we’re not talking about it, we’re thinking about it. And when we’re not thinking about it, we worry that something is wrong with us.

Sex is a primary source of human motivation and can change the way we act and the way we feel in quite dramatic ways. And this isn’t something that occurs solely in the privacy of our bedrooms: You see sex at play in advertising and marketing, in problems in the work place, in self-esteem and identity, in pleasure and reward, and also in the spread of sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies.

Human sexuality has direct influence over so many aspects of day-to-day life. Understanding such a universal phenomenon is never useless. Yet, many want to discount its importance - and its study.

In the 1940s and 1950s, Alfred Kinsey, esteemed biologist and founder of the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction, pioneered the study of sexual behavior with the publication of the Kinsey Reports. That work was the first of its kind: a systematic, scientific approach to understanding variation in normal sexual behavior. And, thankfully, his work has inspired countless brave scientists in the decades since to buck the status quo and study human sexuality.

Yet, while we’ve come a long way in our understanding the biology of sex, there is still plenty left to discover. We now have a good deal of data on the mechanics of sexual behavior.

But as anyone who has ever been involved in a sexual relationship knows, there’s a lot more to sex than pure mechanics - a heck of a lot more. The blossoming field of neuroscience, including neuro-imaging studies like the orgasm one I participated in as well as cellular and molecular research, is now offering us a new window of understanding into age-old questions about sex and related behaviors by focusing on all the ways our brains influence our behaviors.

During the course of my research for "Dirty Minds," I asked neuroscientific researchers about the greatest challenges involved in studying human sexuality. I expected to hear concerns about finding study participants willing to be honest about their sex lives or if what was learned in the laboratory could really be applied to real-world behaviors.

But unanimously, the scientists I talked to said their greatest challenge was finding research grants and financial support for their work. Because so many of us are peevish about the study of sex, funding agencies can be, too. But none of us should be. Human sexuality is important - and its study is something we should all get behind. Because we can’t begin to have discussions about how to best deal with problems concerning sexual behavior, sexual function and sexual intimacy until we have a better handle on what’s normal.

Time and time again, I’m asked how I managed to have an orgasm in an fMRI scanner. But that’s not the right question. The important question is why I had an orgasm in an fMRI scanner. And that’s to help further our understanding of orgasm and human sexuality. When I say I came for the science - I mean it. And it’s my hope that more people will do the same in the future.

Post by:
Filed under: Sex

1. omnisis

This is hardly 'cutting edge' or "front page" worthy material. Do whatever sex-related social science research you'd like but save the results for some obscure journal or something. I'm sure you are used to defending your work to people but I got a little clue for you: "there's a reason for that". Call me crazy but whether a woman gets all happy inside a device she'll use less than 5 times in her lifetime just doesn't seem like valuable "research" to me and could even contribute to radiation overexposure if ppl tried to test your theories.

January 27, 2012 at 11:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Twain

Omnisis, you are an idiot. That she will use the machine less than five times in her life has nothing to do with the research. The machine was used to monitor brain activity during orgasm. The machine is a tool, not an object of study. Please read with your thinking cap on it. And keep both hands where we can see them.

January 27, 2012 at 11:07 | Report abuse |
    • anon

MRIs dont use radiation, they use magnetic feilds, thats what the "M" stands for.

January 27, 2012 at 11:08 | Report abuse |
    • PM

Duh...the study wasn't whether you can have an orgasm in an MRI machine. Hello, Hellen! The study uses the MRI to monitor changes in the brain waves during an orgasm...

January 27, 2012 at 11:08 | Report abuse |
    • Anne

Maybe don't click on links to comment when you clearly have no intention of reading the article and just want to pass judgement.

January 27, 2012 at 11:09 | Report abuse |
    • tnies

There's no radiation exposure with an MRI. It's just a giant magnet.

January 27, 2012 at 11:11 | Report abuse |
    • Bruce

I have a little clue for you, try actually reading the article, not once or even twice, but several times until you can actually comprehend what the author was doing, and why. Then maybe you won't leave such an idiotic comment.

January 27, 2012 at 11:12 | Report abuse |
    • DeeNYC

You realize articles consist of more than just a headline.

January 27, 2012 at 11:13 | Report abuse |
    • Joe

MRI’s use magnetic imaging not radiation. A brain is a wonderful thing, use it and why not study it!

January 27, 2012 at 11:22 | Report abuse |
    • MyTake

Please take note of the ignorance and fallacies of the poster ... little response is needed.

January 27, 2012 at 11:25 | Report abuse |
    • Mona in Tulsa

This reminds me of the 'orgasmatron' in Woody Allen's "Sleeper." A subject worthy of a comedy, but hardly worth space and time on CNN!

January 27, 2012 at 11:26 | Report abuse |
    • Tom Jones

MRI use radio waves, not ionizing radiation. Of course, 30 years down the road it will be found somehow that exposure to high intensity magnetic fields and radiofrequency radiation is bad for us, for now we're safe! ;>

Of course, as an MRI technologist, I will be left with wondering why exactly my patients are smiling when I get them out of the magnet.... and of course, I dare not ask, for fear of lawsuits claiming I did something weird to them on purpose.

I think this is another case of TMI from CNN. 🙂

January 27, 2012 at 11:37 | Report abuse |
    • yep

It has the word orgasm in it so CNN tookit and ran. No surprises here. You pay for it with ad dollars.

January 27, 2012 at 11:38 | Report abuse |
    • PudninTane

An MRI does use low level RF radiation.

January 27, 2012 at 11:39 | Report abuse |
    • Marion

Mona, why are you spending your precious time reading it? Cnn has got your number. Tom, they are smiling because they are so relieved to be out of the machine.

January 29, 2012 at 10:53 | Report abuse |
  2. Pokahotas

This is very noteworthy..I get all warm and tingly just thinkin about it...wow..i think i just orgasmed reading the article.

January 27, 2012 at 11:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. debuzz

I could have made her orgasm at a much lower cost and the volume of science data would have been equally as impactful.

January 27, 2012 at 11:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jason

Considering that an fMRI produces gigabytes of data about brain activity and masturbating alone produces 0 data it is hard to even take your comment as a joke.

January 27, 2012 at 11:23 | Report abuse |
    • Agent Frank

I wonder if stimulation by a partner is being studied.....or better yet, by a stranger ! I'm on my way to the closest fMRI !

January 27, 2012 at 11:35 | Report abuse |
  4. rubadubdub

Love the link that takes you straight to Amazon where you can buy the book. Nice plug
    Movie in the works? !!!
    Unanimously they're having a troubling acquiring funding? So are the researchers begging for $$ to answer why pigs squeal and how cows produce methane. Duh
    Kinsey's researched it ad nauseum in the 40s-50s and we're still reasearching it.
    It's simple, hand, crotch...happiness. It just works

January 27, 2012 at 11:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris R

So what is happening in the brain during that process?

January 27, 2012 at 11:15 | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Does it really "just work?" I hope when you go to the doctor for a problem that the research that went into the various treatments don't "just work." And for a lot of people sex does not just work.

January 27, 2012 at 11:25 | Report abuse |
    • John

Look at all the critics that were drawn to read the article, by it's headline, then comment about how useless the information is. Perhaps they should set up a study on those folks to first determine if there is one ounce of gray matter in their skulls.

January 27, 2012 at 11:37 | Report abuse |
    • John

Poor rub. Apparently had to crotch is all that person is familiar with. Bummer!

January 27, 2012 at 11:38 | Report abuse |
  5. Slewatha

W T F?

January 27, 2012 at 11:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Agent Frank

Yes. Exactly.

January 27, 2012 at 11:36 | Report abuse |
  6. Albert Von Sachsen

Congrats! your first? But seriously, who cares? My toe hurts. Is CNN going to dedicate an article to my pain? I rather don`t think so. And you CNN people must have better reporting to do. My cousin had an orgasm riding my Harley. Is anyone concerned with the medical consequences?

January 27, 2012 at 11:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris R

They aren't studying the medical consequences. Please read the article. They are trying to figure out how the brain acts during an orgasm. Since this can have an impact in a lot of other fields (addiction studies, bonding studies, etc) it makes sense to look at this and *not* your cousin getting freaky with you.

January 27, 2012 at 11:18 | Report abuse |
    • That's Me

Oh, by the way, I forgot to get your cousin's number. - Harley

January 27, 2012 at 11:25 | Report abuse |
  7. lance corporal

repression breeds perversion
    if we where OK with se x and it wasn't the big deal so many people make out of it
    we would have LESS molestation, rape etc and more successful marriages

January 27, 2012 at 11:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joseph Bleaux

Absolutely.

January 27, 2012 at 11:07 | Report abuse |
    • Marion

it's a good thing they were not studying what goes on in the brain of a molester, while molesting someone. But seriously, this study might shed some light on that.

January 29, 2012 at 11:01 | Report abuse |
  8. Me

Really CNN? This is where you're at as a news outlet?

January 27, 2012 at 11:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Duane

Yet you read it.....stop whining

January 27, 2012 at 11:20 | Report abuse |
  9. LWZRGHT

Shame on the news company for putting this in the video section. No wonder they're getting so many hits. people thought it was "take a look at this!"

January 27, 2012 at 11:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Duane

Are you a closet puritan or something? Ease up, go relieve a little stress yourself

January 27, 2012 at 11:21 | Report abuse |
  10. TODAY

big hole in MRI scanner...LOL

January 27, 2012 at 11:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Mark

LOL okay that is funny. But she makes a good point, why are people so hung up on this stuff, why so much outrage over something so inherently human?

January 27, 2012 at 11:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

Apparently the only experience some of these folks seem to have with the process is hearing it's a dirty, perverted word and experience. DON'T DO IT, you'll go blind 🙂

January 27, 2012 at 11:42 | Report abuse |
  12. mavis cola

So inappropriate and I'm no prude. Tacky to have on your front "page". Very tacky.

January 27, 2012 at 11:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris R

You aren't a prude but you think having an article about a scientific study is tacky? Maybe you aren't familiar with the definition of prude.

January 27, 2012 at 11:19 | Report abuse |
    • Craig

Yeah, but it's ok to have rape, murder and mayhem on the front page. That's ok. Grow up.

January 27, 2012 at 11:22 | Report abuse |
    • Dave

What does being a prude (or not) have to do with it? Did you even read the article? It's really quite fasinating and it pertains to all of us. It's just sex after all.

January 27, 2012 at 11:27 | Report abuse |
    • steve

Is there anything in particular that makes you think you are not a prude?

January 27, 2012 at 11:33 | Report abuse |
  13. Joseph Bleaux

I'm surprised one of the technicians didn't give her a hand...

January 27, 2012 at 11:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. saxophone31

Anyone who thinks this study is a waste of time clearly isn't getting any.

January 27, 2012 at 11:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • WordUpToo

I'm not getting any and couldn't be happier about it! Try it people, it's refreshing! And better for the world too.

January 27, 2012 at 11:08 | Report abuse |
    • Agent Frank

Hey, worduptoo........
      There is no doubt a good reason for you being with-out. Do you have a mirror ? Maybe the anti-psychotics are dulling the urge.

January 27, 2012 at 11:40 | Report abuse |
  15. Interesting

I'd just like to know how many techs were on hand for the great "coming"?

January 27, 2012 at 11:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. WordUpToo

I think it makes more sense to research ways to make people's libido shrink up and disappear. I haven't been happier since I reached menopause and no longer have even remotely a sex drive! It is the root of all evil.....the world would be a better place without it. No more power grabs, no harrassment in the workplace, a good night's sleep, no over-population, no more wars, no more Corvettes...I can go on and on.

January 27, 2012 at 11:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joseph Bleaux

No fun...

January 27, 2012 at 11:09 | Report abuse |
    • StillGettingIt

Poor thing. Although I had a rough time during menopause, I still WANT my husband and I cannot imagine how empty my life would be without that 'spark'. I'm sorry for you.

January 27, 2012 at 11:14 | Report abuse |
    • WordUpToo

Au contraire Monsieur Bleaux! Fun comes in all sorts of wrappers. You are missing out on an entirely new dimension, free yourself from the chains of sexual pleasure!

January 27, 2012 at 11:15 | Report abuse |
    • Dr. Woods

... and missing on of the most beautiful parts of being alive as an individual and in a relationship which you share with another wonderful human being.

January 27, 2012 at 11:20 | Report abuse |
    • Rholden

Rocky Horror would have bombed on broadway with a line like that

January 27, 2012 at 11:21 | Report abuse |
    • Chris R

I'm glad this is working out for you but I have to say, without sex with my girlfriend my life would seem a lot emptier. The great thing about sex isn't so much the pleasure from the friction (although that is pretty cool) but the deep feeling of connection I have with her – a feeling that lasts for a long time. Maybe you've gotten to a point with your SO where you don't need that feeling. I know I do. Without it I wouldn't be with her.

January 27, 2012 at 11:22 | Report abuse |
    • Joseph Bleaux

So who wants to take advise from a dried up old prune? Not me.

January 27, 2012 at 11:23 | Report abuse |
    • Duane

My wife has gone through menopause and her drive is higher then ever. Honestly we are closer in everything we do in life and yes sex has to do with that. The emotion and bond that comes with it is beyond amazing and helps make us stronger. Sorry you have such a negative affect toward it and you are missing that point in the article. It isn't about just the physical aspects, but the emotional ones as well.
      I for one really hope you realize that if your married and taking this stance, that you will need to accept if your husband steps out on you for his support. You may have turned it off, but you should not force him too. Good luck with your choices.

January 27, 2012 at 11:25 | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Sounds like you were never really comfortable with sex to begin with.

January 27, 2012 at 11:29 | Report abuse |
    • Agent Frank

I'm thinking you escaped from the colony. You Amish are such a blast to visit, but your ways are of the past.

January 27, 2012 at 11:43 | Report abuse |
    • anon

Save your conservative abstinence pushing views for the Fox news website. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most of the people reading the CNN news aren't afraid to admit to the public that they like sex. I also believe it's the total opposite of your comment about being less open about sex leading to fewer sex crimes. Look at the rape stats of the US compared to some of the more sexually open countires. You make something taboo and harder to obtain and people are going to do what they need to to get it.

January 27, 2012 at 14:12 | Report abuse |
  17. Marjorie

MRI's don't have radiation, but that's not the point here...

January 27, 2012 at 11:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. pat

Anybody can have an orgasm any where. Most guys have nutted at least once in a public restroom which is way nastier than a nice clean MRI machines. But I don't believe the above story, is there a video?

January 27, 2012 at 11:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rholden

And in our cars, at work, closets at funerals, movie theaters etc, etc. I work with people that have to take their clothes off I can't tell you how many guys sink of rancid junk because they wacked off somewhere during the day and then just pulled up their pants without cleaning up.

Why not understand how our brains work and make sex work better.

January 27, 2012 at 11:19 | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Read the article pat.

January 27, 2012 at 11:29 | Report abuse |
  19. Andrew

Only Republicans can possibly get so bent out of shape about research into sexual health.

January 27, 2012 at 11:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill

Now we need to put your brain into an MRI machine to try to find out how you can spot people's political affiliations with such incredible perception.

January 27, 2012 at 11:12 | Report abuse |
    • Joseph Bleaux

Republicans are easy to spot. They're the stupid hateful ones.

January 27, 2012 at 11:14 | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Which clearly makes you one, Joseph

January 27, 2012 at 11:31 | Report abuse |
  20. stevev

Never under estimate the power of the Puritain religion in the US. It is astounding.

January 27, 2012 at 11:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. TruAmerikan

OH MY GOD!!!! I just saw a picture of her. Not only is she butt ugly...she's a Ginger too. No wonder she has to get her jollies in a machine.

January 27, 2012 at 11:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joseph Bleaux

She's not bad, I'd hit it.

January 27, 2012 at 11:11 | Report abuse |
  22. Rod M. Chicago

You frigid people are just mad because you're not getting it or you're not any good at it. I think its great to do research about something that adds to the quality of life.

January 27, 2012 at 11:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • WordUpToo

Oh but Mr. Chicago you are so wrong. A whole new world opens up to those who no longer pursue the carnal pleasures. Try it, you might like it!

January 27, 2012 at 11:11 | Report abuse |
    • Joseph Bleaux

Sex is a very pleasant and rewarding experience, it's good for your health both mental and physical. Sorry, I'll take sex anyday over abstinence. And why would anyone take advise from a dried up old prune?

January 27, 2012 at 11:18 | Report abuse |
    • Jason

@WordUpToo It might be fun to stop eating if you no longer felt hungry. Imagine all the time and money you'd save!

January 27, 2012 at 11:32 | Report abuse |
  23. Dr. Sprankle

Those opposed to sex research like to believe in the Disney version of sex: it's magical, a fairy tale, and most importantly, cannot be seen.

January 27, 2012 at 11:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. cytoman

omnisis – you should check your facts. An MRI uses magnets not radiation. The fact that you don't see the relevance and that you don't understand the technology just shows your lack of either understanding or education or both. Thankfully you aren't in charge.

January 27, 2012 at 11:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Logan

Plain rabbish!
    While people are dying of hunger or homelessness, this so called "scientist", is trying to justify why she is a pervert sexual thing. Shame on CNN in publishing this article waisting precious space, even more shame to whomever paid this pervert for her sickenning sexual pleasing favor.

January 27, 2012 at 11:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joseph Bleaux

And how do you justify being a totally ignorant troll?

January 27, 2012 at 11:13 | Report abuse |
  26. googoo bro

hahahahhaha i need to buy one of these for my girlfriendz

January 27, 2012 at 11:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. erin

tthis is like the 2nd or 3rd article that CNN has done on this same subject. it's getting really OLD!

January 27, 2012 at 11:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Duane

So Erin, if you hate it so much stop reading it. Very simple, don't click the link, don't read the words....make a choice. Use these simple instructions in your day and life will be happier

January 27, 2012 at 11:28 | Report abuse |
  28. Born2Soon

What she has done is not anything new. This same experiment was on Discovery Channel years ago. "The Science of Sex". Masters & Johnson examined this back in the 60's. The brain goes bananas when ANYONE has an orgasm.

January 27, 2012 at 11:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. ookfaoohyaa

In 1975 a golden fleece award was given to the national science foundation for squandering a government grant of $84000 to study why people fall in love. Everyone was outraged that taxpayers money was being used for such ridiculous research. The result of the study..........the discovery of the endorphins!! Seemingly ridiculous research can result in amazing discoveries. Studing the brain and how it functions could result in cures for such things as parkinson's disease, alzheimer's and other brain related diseases.

January 27, 2012 at 11:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike Rotchitches

This article is implying that the Rutgers research was privately funded.

January 27, 2012 at 11:18 | Report abuse |
    • Marion

It must have been funded by Piers Morgan.....to find out how many people were "properly in love"

January 29, 2012 at 12:18 | Report abuse |
    • Marion

He continues this research nightly.

January 29, 2012 at 12:20 | Report abuse |
  30. Mike Rotchitches

Kayt Sukel took a perfectly good tawdry and elicit topic and made it CNN boring 🙁

January 27, 2012 at 11:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. frankie

Alfred Kinsey?! I guess he's esteemed by some people...

January 27, 2012 at 11:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Jackó

Um...is that a pun in the second to last sentence?

January 27, 2012 at 11:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • blah9999

She did come for science. I come for science all the time.

January 27, 2012 at 11:17 | Report abuse |
  33. blah9999

I agree with this person 100%

With that said...How can you have an orgasm with all these people watching you? I would be too shy

January 27, 2012 at 11:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joseph Bleaux

Yeah, I wonder how many of the technicians got off by wathing her.

January 27, 2012 at 11:19 | Report abuse |
    • Mike Rotchitches

I hear people pay good money for that.

January 27, 2012 at 11:20 | Report abuse |
    • Marion

The technicians are generally out of the room to operate the MRI machine.

January 29, 2012 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
  34. realfastbill

Pics or it didn't happen! 😉

January 27, 2012 at 11:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. KnowsMore123

MRIs are stupid anyway, with everyone out of work we waste money on this!! These researchers should be fired!!

January 27, 2012 at 11:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike Rotchitches

Stop your whining, it was privately funded.

January 27, 2012 at 11:21 | Report abuse |
  36. Mark

I'm rather interested in how that was accomplished. I went in for a few MRI's and if I even wiggled my nose I was told to "KEEP STILL". Was this orgasm accomplished through mind only?? On a serious note, I dont see a problem with it, or for that matter, for it being on the front of CNN's site. Oh no!! They are talking about sex and stuff!! Run!!....give me a break people. Sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex.....I for one love everything about sex....get over it.

January 27, 2012 at 11:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris R

In an fMRI brain study you only need to keep your head still. They basically clamped her head in place during the scan.

January 27, 2012 at 11:25 | Report abuse |
  37. TDJ

I'm getting over an annoying cold. I want a cure for the common cold NOW. Should I blow my nose during an MRI scan to get the establishment's attention???

January 27, 2012 at 11:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike Rotchitches

Common cold viruses, like the rhinovirus, mutate too quickly to vaccinate for them. And an MRI will tell you nothing about the virulence of a virus.

So stop your whining, take a decongestant and get back to work!

January 27, 2012 at 11:25 | Report abuse |
  38. Tom

Seriously, people... get over yourselves. While you may not think it is worthy scientific or medical research to see what the brain is doing during sexual stimulation and orgasm doesn't mean it isn't worthy research. The point of research is to FIND MORE OUT ABOUT HOW SOMETHING WORKS. If we knew that it was useless, we wouldn't be doing it. Plenty of things that we use on a daily or regular basis came out of research that no one really knew where it was going. Microwaves. Penicillin. Breakfast cereal. The only thing I can garner from all the negative comments on how this person is no scientist or that the research is worthless is that you lead a worthless life and don't understand that there very well may be value in something even though it isn't staring right at you in the face.

January 27, 2012 at 11:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Logan

Now it's clear why she had sex with a MRI machine. This is who Kayt Sukel is, what she wrote about herself, and explains why she needed sponsorship:

"I am a military spouse. Not only a military spouse but a former Family Readiness Group (FRG) leader and active volunteer in the military community. My husband is an Officer in the U.S. Army and currently deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. I just started a new blogging endeavor for Military OneSource’s Bursting With Pride (Bursting With Pride) about how to make the most of long, back-to-back deployments. And most importantly, how to achieve your own dreams even when you might be following a Soldier all over the planet."

January 27, 2012 at 11:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Athyna

Kayt, don't worry too much about the naysayers. Besides, anything that explains the mind/body connection, one of the most confusing things about humans, can't be a bad thing.

January 27, 2012 at 11:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Matt

Why are people so upset about sex research? Because most people aren't that bright. Sex is related to so many facets of the human brain, from dopamine to serotonin and countless other systems. Sex is a major part of our bodies in both biological and psychological ways; every part of a system making a whole. For example, orgasm and sex triggers the same parts of the brain and hormone production as addictive drugs like heroine and tobacco.

So to understand sex is to understand our most mysterious organ, the brain. It's the same organ that in most people is atrophying much like a flaccid you know what.

January 27, 2012 at 11:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Faberm

This is old news. Don't you all remember Woody Allen's "ORGASMATRON" in the sleeper?

January 27, 2012 at 11:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Todder2

The money could have been used on better things. Finding a cure for Cancer or other diseases are much more important then this waste of a study,

January 27, 2012 at 11:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. rlowens1

Strangely enough, this woman can get an article about having an orgasm in an MRI posted on CNN, but I can't write the word e-r-e-c-t-i-o-n in a comment without being censored. The hypocrisy is strong with CNN.

January 27, 2012 at 11:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Lurking Pervert

Interestingly, the author left out the part about where she went nuts screaming and yelling at the machine for booking some time with another patient later that same evening.

January 27, 2012 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Srsly?

Wow. All this animosity about sex and sex research. When I went to bed last night I was the USA, now I've awaken in the middle-east.

January 27, 2012 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. flashtrum

I wanna know what this chick looks like.

January 27, 2012 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. ryan

I think our country is very prudish and religiously misdirected when it comes to sex. God didn't create people to NOT have sex! And there are a lot of people out there who know nothing about it because of religion telling them it's bad to talk about it or think about it. Wake up! And it IS valuable research. Where do you think all of the current fertility treatments come from? And drugs like Viagra and other ED medications? That's right... they come from this type of research! Everyone always makes the claim that we should be finding a cure for cancer. That's true! And there are currently billions of dollars per year invested in that! But it can't be the ONLY thing we research.

January 27, 2012 at 11:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • rlowens1

You do realize, of course, that there will never be a cure for cancer. Why? Because, then all those cancer research organizations would go out of business – and, they don't want that. So, what we can expect are countless more "experimental" treatment programs that won't be covered by insurance, instead.

January 27, 2012 at 11:30 | Report abuse |
    • Joseph Bleaux

We should also research why it is that supposedly rational, intelligent human beings blindly accept ancient mythology as fact.

January 27, 2012 at 11:33 | Report abuse |
    • rlowens1

@Joseph:

The answer to that is very simple and obvious – brainwashing.

January 27, 2012 at 11:35 | Report abuse |
    • Chris R

rlowens, you do understand that there isn't just one disease called cancer, right? There are *hundreds* of different disease that are part of cancer. Each one has different mechanisms, attacks different parts of the body, and moves in different ways. Also, research has started to point to the idea that we can never cure cancer as it is built into the mammalian genome. Sounds strange but it is starting to look like cancer is inevitable because of the way our cells reproduce.

January 27, 2012 at 11:56 | Report abuse |
  49. DougJ

Here my only point. We as a species over analize everything we do. Why can we just except that sexual pleasure is a gift to us and enjoy it. It's like getting a gift and tearing it apart to see how it works. Sometimes it neverworks the same when you put it back together. Just except that it feels good and do it.

January 27, 2012 at 11:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joseph Bleaux

By studying it, they might be able to come up with pheromes or aphrodisiacs or suppressants for pedophiles or cures for impotence, frigidity, etc. etc.

January 27, 2012 at 11:31 | Report abuse |
  50. Tincup83

And Nero fiddled while Rome burned.

January 27, 2012 at 11:34 | Report abuse | Reply