home
RSS
Why I orgasmed in an MRI scanner
January 27th, 2012

Why I orgasmed in an MRI scanner

Kayt Sukel is a passionate science writer and the author of "Dirty Minds: How our brains influence love, sex and relationships" - an edgy, irreverent book that examines all the ways our neurons can wreak havoc with our hearts.

Let me just get this out of the way upfront: I had an orgasm in a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scanner.

That is, as background research for my book, "Dirty Minds: How our brains influence love, sex and relationships," I participated in a study at Rutgers University where scientists measured the activity in my brain as I self-stimulated to an orgasm.

I wasn’t the first woman to participate in one of these studies - and I won’t be the last.

I know, it’s controversial and perhaps even a bit shocking. And, because of that, I expected readers and commenters to make a few jokes at my expense (and perhaps even question my character) when I wrote about the experience.

But what I didn’t expect was so much outrage about sex research in general.

Time and time again, regardless of the publication discussing my fMRI orgasm, commenters wrote things like, “If only researchers were as interested in finding a cure for cancer,” and “I can’t believe my tax dollars are going to pay for such useless research.”

How can the study of human sexuality be considered useless? This is something that is prevalent in each and every one of our lives. When we’re not having sex, we’re talking about it. When we’re not talking about it, we’re thinking about it. And when we’re not thinking about it, we worry that something is wrong with us.

Sex is a primary source of human motivation and can change the way we act and the way we feel in quite dramatic ways. And this isn’t something that occurs solely in the privacy of our bedrooms: You see sex at play in advertising and marketing, in problems in the work place, in self-esteem and identity, in pleasure and reward, and also in the spread of sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies.

Human sexuality has direct influence over so many aspects of day-to-day life. Understanding such a universal phenomenon is never useless. Yet, many want to discount its importance - and its study.

In the 1940s and 1950s, Alfred Kinsey, esteemed biologist and founder of the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction, pioneered the study of sexual behavior with the publication of the Kinsey Reports. That work was the first of its kind: a systematic, scientific approach to understanding variation in normal sexual behavior. And, thankfully, his work has inspired countless brave scientists in the decades since to buck the status quo and study human sexuality.

Yet, while we’ve come a long way in our understanding the biology of sex, there is still plenty left to discover. We now have a good deal of data on the mechanics of sexual behavior.

But as anyone who has ever been involved in a sexual relationship knows, there’s a lot more to sex than pure mechanics - a heck of a lot more. The blossoming field of neuroscience, including neuro-imaging studies like the orgasm one I participated in as well as cellular and molecular research, is now offering us a new window of understanding into age-old questions about sex and related behaviors by focusing on all the ways our brains influence our behaviors.

During the course of my research for "Dirty Minds," I asked neuroscientific researchers about the greatest challenges involved in studying human sexuality. I expected to hear concerns about finding study participants willing to be honest about their sex lives or if what was learned in the laboratory could really be applied to real-world behaviors.

But unanimously, the scientists I talked to said their greatest challenge was finding research grants and financial support for their work. Because so many of us are peevish about the study of sex, funding agencies can be, too. But none of us should be. Human sexuality is important - and its study is something we should all get behind. Because we can’t begin to have discussions about how to best deal with problems concerning sexual behavior, sexual function and sexual intimacy until we have a better handle on what’s normal.

Time and time again, I’m asked how I managed to have an orgasm in an fMRI scanner. But that’s not the right question. The important question is why I had an orgasm in an fMRI scanner. And that’s to help further our understanding of orgasm and human sexuality. When I say I came for the science - I mean it. And it’s my hope that more people will do the same in the future.

Post by:
Filed under: Sex

1. freddysaces

I bet she faked it.

January 27, 2012 at 10:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Robert B.

@Freddy. Sounds like you're speaking from personal experience.

January 27, 2012 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
    • freddysaces

I bet that scanner didn't call her the next day.

January 27, 2012 at 10:27 | Report abuse |
    • tool

Robert, stop projecting.

January 27, 2012 at 10:35 | Report abuse |
    • Dave

The sex research is fine and a good thing, but next time research your image archive accurately. The image used is a CT scanner not an MRI scanner.

January 27, 2012 at 10:53 | Report abuse |
  2. Lurking Pervert

How much time in this study was wasted by having med students layout dozens of candles, rose pedals and aroma sticks just to make this author releax? jeez

January 27, 2012 at 10:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Good Grief

How much time did you spend spell-checking your ridiculous comment?

January 27, 2012 at 10:35 | Report abuse |
    • Lurking Pervert

@goodgrief, releax, relax, whatever. You get the point. It is not like I am posting a commentary to the National Association of Scholars.

January 27, 2012 at 10:48 | Report abuse |
    • actually

that's a fantastic idea!

January 27, 2012 at 10:50 | Report abuse |
    • Clayton Havens

Perhaps you should do a little research before making comments perhaps.. shock... Read the book.. cause then you would know you are so off base its not remotely funny

January 27, 2012 at 10:52 | Report abuse |
  3. MRIRat

Interesting that the picture is of a CT rather than an MRI.

January 27, 2012 at 10:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Zeke2112

/facepalm. I noticed that too!

January 27, 2012 at 10:41 | Report abuse |
    • Just4theFaxt

I have had 4 MRI's in the last 3 years. Each machine looking like this one. Just because you can't get a depth perspective of the MRI coil due to fantastic back lighting, this is a 36 inch slide into an MRI, doesn't turn into you CT scanner. If this were a side shot of the machine, you wouldn't need my help. Images in a search engine would help you understand the size of the CT coil vs the MRI. Just because of you name, am I to believe you are are around these much? As r states most people require valium to even get an MRI, if you weigh much over 270, you wouldn't fit this machine.

January 27, 2012 at 10:57 | Report abuse |
    • Ethernet

Pickey Pickey Pickey LOL

January 27, 2012 at 10:58 | Report abuse |
    • John

Darned things (CT scanners) are still expensive as hell.

January 27, 2012 at 11:04 | Report abuse |
    • Voig Nederlander

Nope, this is an MRI. The machines actually look similar.

January 27, 2012 at 11:06 | Report abuse |
    • MRIRat

Yes Just4... this is my profession. I'm around these things daily. There is more than a depth perception issue with this photo, the construction is very different. The main clue here is the "window" ring around the opening where the xray tube passes along as it spins around the body.

January 27, 2012 at 11:29 | Report abuse |
    • PeteG4

MRIRat, do you see the same problems at http://www.two-views.com I bet it's a common mistake.

January 27, 2012 at 16:54 | Report abuse |
  4. Tiki

Excellent. Nice to see studies dealing with this topic. I believe Orgasms are a cure all. Wish I could stimulate my partner to reach Orgasms faster. Sometimes it's tiring. How about the studies of sex and orgasms in space or under water, can we see those? Nice work, keep it up. 😉

January 27, 2012 at 10:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • eb79

Yeah, I wanna join the 1000 mile high club

January 27, 2012 at 10:47 | Report abuse |
  5. Bill

Well, that research was certainly money well spent. Now we need to put my dog in the MRI to find out why he likes to rub against my leg.

January 27, 2012 at 10:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris R

The point of the study wasn't to determine why people *like* to have orgasms but what happens in the brain while it is happening. I know you may think it's pointless but it could lead to some important insights as to why some people have pathologically diminished libidos. It could to lead to understand to how sex influences other, non sexual, decisions. There is a lot to be learned here but if you just want to make dumb jokes please go ahead.

January 27, 2012 at 10:40 | Report abuse |
    • DBSaint

HA!!!

January 27, 2012 at 10:41 | Report abuse |
    • ben

Well Bill, if it weren't for scientists studying fish sperm a lot of diabetics might have suffered more. You are riding on the shoulders of giants but are oblivious.

January 27, 2012 at 10:51 | Report abuse |
    • Marion

Chris R....your point is well taken. Exactly what I was thinking when I read this sentence from the article:
      "And when we’re not thinking about it, we worry that something is wrong with us." Well, I don't think about it much anymore at age 68, but believe me the apparatus still works when I do.

January 29, 2012 at 10:05 | Report abuse |
  6. alibababa

All these words, and nary a link to the video.

January 27, 2012 at 10:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dan

That's what I said. Pics or it didn't happen.

January 27, 2012 at 11:01 | Report abuse |
  7. Conrad Shull

Oh. I thought it was going to be about how the machine caused her orgasm. That would have been news!

January 27, 2012 at 10:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Josh

That's what I thought, too, from the headline.

January 27, 2012 at 10:26 | Report abuse |
    • Todd

Same here. THought the MRI somehow caused a woman to orgasm. That actually would have been newsworthy.

January 27, 2012 at 10:36 | Report abuse |
    • Lurking Pervert

It doesn't matter. Insurance would never pay for that.

January 27, 2012 at 10:40 | Report abuse |
  8. BoogerFree

Did anyone buy her dinner beforehand?

January 27, 2012 at 10:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lurking Pervert

No, but from what I heard, they had a hard time getting rid of her after. She kept hanging around wanting to talk to the machine.

January 27, 2012 at 10:38 | Report abuse |
    • Tincup83

Pervert, thats funny!

January 27, 2012 at 11:36 | Report abuse |
  9. Bob C.

She was supposed to get rid of all metal on her body first, including the jewelry in those piercings down there that she forgot about. Once the MRI kicked on, they started to vibrate. At least they weren't ripped completely off by the MRI - then we'd have a completely different article.

January 27, 2012 at 10:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. sharon

I thought you had to lay still for an MRI. I don't understand the mechanics of this.

January 27, 2012 at 10:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris R

They were scanning the brain – so she only had to keep her head still. In order to do this they basically immobilised her head using a mask that screwed down to the table.

January 27, 2012 at 10:42 | Report abuse |
    • Clayton Havens

She did have to lay still... in one of her interviews she talks about having to practice before hand insure she could stay still enough for the MRI to capture clean images.

January 27, 2012 at 10:55 | Report abuse |
    • TruAmerikan

She's a woman scientist who is probably married. She's proably used to laying there like a dead fish while the act is going on.

January 27, 2012 at 10:58 | Report abuse |
    • Dan

I heard the mask she had to wear had a big red ball that she had to put in her mouth to keep from biting her tongue off.

January 27, 2012 at 11:16 | Report abuse |

Chris R, you are beating me to the punch. LOL

January 29, 2012 at 10:09 | Report abuse |
  11. Josh

IMHO, it is very important to do research on how and why an orgasm occurs in the human brain.

It will be from such leading edge research, that Apple will be able to bring to market their iOrgasmatron.

January 27, 2012 at 10:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Breezeday

Orgasmatron. Great idea. Get Woody Allen on the horn.

January 27, 2012 at 11:02 | Report abuse |
  12. kolagad

Kudos ! Replace ur BF with fMRI's.

January 27, 2012 at 10:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. jesse

Ok, so I'll bite what did your orgasm experience cure then? Until that question can be answered no reason to keep writing these stupid articles. I lost 15 seconds of my life I cant get back and I hate myself for it.

January 27, 2012 at 10:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Deacon

Jesse:

What did going to the moon do? What does finding the Planck length do? Why study anatomy just to know something? And man, Mozart sure was a waste of skin.

You are cesspool of vapidity. Read a book.

January 27, 2012 at 10:30 | Report abuse |
    • Chris R

Look, we know that people orgasm, we know that we like it. What we don't know a lot about is what is happening in the brain during an orgasm. A study like this can shed a lot of insight into how the brain functions being that the sex drive is so deeply wired into us. For example – during studies like this we can plot out activity in the brain during sex. We can then do things like match that against other brain function data and say things like "Oh, a junkie is experiencing the same sort of rush as you get in an orgasm" or "Someone who just won a hand at gambling gets a small thrill very much like an orgasm" or even do things like figure out why some people have no libido and do something to help them. Sex is a *huge* part of our lives. Doesn't it make sense to try and understand what is happening to us during sex?

January 27, 2012 at 10:45 | Report abuse |
    • Marion

Chris, it has long been said that "sex is in the brain".

January 29, 2012 at 10:13 | Report abuse |
  14. Dan Galindo

wow

January 27, 2012 at 10:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Badonkadonk!

gross

January 27, 2012 at 10:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Sick

fMRIs are comfy. You get a pillow, earplugs, it's air conditioned and dark.. very comfy indeed.

January 27, 2012 at 10:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Deacon

What on Earth is controversial about this? Are people really that uptight?

January 27, 2012 at 10:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lurking Pervert

Right wing nut jobs like Romney, want to remove condoms from the market. Sex is a vulgar, vile and sinful act.

January 27, 2012 at 10:42 | Report abuse |
    • Marion

Lurking Pervert ......it is amazing how conservatives don't want anything regulated, but yet want to regulate our sex lives.

January 29, 2012 at 10:15 | Report abuse |
  18. DGA

II had an MRI once. I fell asleep in the machine. The nurse said this was the first time she had ever seen someone fall asleep in an MRI machine.

January 27, 2012 at 10:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • A Swisky

I have had 6 MRI's. Its very easy to fall asleep, despite the noise. Some of these can take 45 minutes to an hour. I close my eyes to avoid any claustrophobia and imagine myself lying on a nice Hawaiian beach. I can even feel and smell the cool salty mist of ocean water.

January 27, 2012 at 11:14 | Report abuse |
    • Marion

Yes, must keep eyes closed even if you are not claustrophobic. I fell asleep too. Open my eyes and I felt like I was buried alive. Hated it....but got through it.

January 29, 2012 at 10:18 | Report abuse |
  19. TBaggersSuk

You should see what she does at the dentist...

January 27, 2012 at 10:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. ShaneB

When the majority of divorces are about sex, its worth researching.

January 27, 2012 at 10:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • barb

Majority of divorces are over finances

January 29, 2012 at 04:09 | Report abuse |
  21. Lurking Pervert

I remember this first time my wife caught me masturbating. She started screaming "Oh my God!" "What the hell are you doing ? You animal ! , What is wrong with you ?" I looked her straight in the face and said "If you are going to have a problem with this, don't sit next to me on the bus. "

January 27, 2012 at 10:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Yesindeed

Hohoho I needed this chuckle with my coffee this morning.

January 27, 2012 at 10:52 | Report abuse |
    • gl

thanks for that, now I am cleaning coffee off my monitor 🙂

January 27, 2012 at 11:23 | Report abuse |
  22. rumply

“If only researchers were as interested in finding a cure for cancer,”..
    If finding a cure for cancer was as easy as touching yourself in a medical facility, we woulda had it done decades ago and moved on to personal jetpack and hovercar technology.

January 27, 2012 at 10:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dan

Thanks to you, I have freshly sprayed coffee on my keyboard. Well played, sir.

January 27, 2012 at 11:20 | Report abuse |
  23. gelbkreuz

"When we’re not having sex, we’re talking about it. When we’re not talking about it, we’re thinking about it. And when we’re not thinking about it, we worry that something is wrong with us."

Careful, you're revealing too much about your inner character, Ms. Low Self-Esteem.

January 27, 2012 at 10:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris R

And you aren't thinking about sex? She sounds normal – someone who isn't thinking about sex at least a couple of times a day sounds damaged.

January 27, 2012 at 10:46 | Report abuse |
    • Marion

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with YOU.

January 29, 2012 at 10:21 | Report abuse |
  24. darren

I find it fascinating that some people think every dollar should go to cancer research or solving hunger problems. I can tell you thats not my main interests! I have way more curiousity about the world than to limit myself that way. There is way more going on in the world that I want to know about. To these people whos sole focus is cancer research and hunger. You have about 80 years on earth so try not to depress yourself so much and get a different hobby!

January 27, 2012 at 10:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. WV Gleeman

Gee. It's no wonder why the divorce rate in the USA is so high. Looking at these comments it's pretty obvious that sex isn't very important to half of us. Hint: it's not a coincidence.

January 27, 2012 at 10:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. TonyInNYC

Considering that most people don't think about sex much and the fact that it has almost no effect on society or our lives, it seems surprising that scientists would want to image a human brain during something like that.

January 27, 2012 at 10:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marion

Was there some study you read that showed "people don't think about sex much"? Speak for yourself.

January 29, 2012 at 10:24 | Report abuse |
  27. Leucadia Bob

I orgasmed during BACON!

January 27, 2012 at 10:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. DBSaint

I see her concern as a research scientist but is this really where the money should be going at a time when we can't fund our schools? Also, as she states in her article, those who stand to benefit the mose are advertiser's and marketers. Sorry but no sympathy vote here.

January 27, 2012 at 10:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dan

My thoughts exactly

January 27, 2012 at 11:22 | Report abuse |
    • Marion

And don't forget about the national debt. I am sure the money saved on not doing this research would reduce the debt by alot.

January 29, 2012 at 10:26 | Report abuse |
  29. chiaverm

From the headline I thought the machine caused the orgasm and figure women will be lining up for an exam. This really should be private research not tax dollars. This is of no benefit to the Government, at least I hope not.

January 27, 2012 at 10:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marion

Where does it say in the article that this study at Rutgers was funded by tax dollars?

January 29, 2012 at 10:29 | Report abuse |
  30. r

If I had to get an MRI I would have been on valium or something so I wouldn't even have noticed. But I still would have felt good.

January 27, 2012 at 10:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Ridiculous

How would research about an orgasm help you with the divorce rate – how about doing research on inter-relationships and communication instead before you start blaming your marital problems on the sex. This research is purely esoteric and the percentage of those that have trouble with biologic anorgasmia is so low compared to the million other things that could be researched with this money. Lastly, the topic of this article is incredibly misleading. This is not headline news to me. If the fMRI machine had instead resulted in her orgasm, then I this would make for a more interesting story.

January 27, 2012 at 10:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Luke

You didn't read the whole article, did you?

January 27, 2012 at 10:44 | Report abuse |
  32. Luke

It is disappointing to see how many people clicked on this article because they saw the word 'orgasm,' and their intellectual interest stopped there.

January 27, 2012 at 10:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. embracerealitypracticeatheism

Is there a follow-up study to analyze the participants emotional state when the MRI doesn't call them back for a month after their date?

January 27, 2012 at 10:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. wha?

"This is something that is prevalent in each and every one of our lives. When we’re not having sex, we’re talking about it. When we’re not talking about it, we’re thinking about it. And when we’re not thinking about it, we worry that something is wrong with us." ...is she married? 😉

January 27, 2012 at 10:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Scrape

I don't wanna know.

January 27, 2012 at 10:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Sybaris

I'm sure the author would not find so much opposition if her studies were conducted in a country not dominated by one of the backwards Abrahamic religions.

January 27, 2012 at 10:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Mike

I once had a career giving women orgasms with MRI devices, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

January 27, 2012 at 10:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris R

Obviously if you had Orcish boots (exquisite) you8 would not have had this problem.

January 27, 2012 at 10:53 | Report abuse |
  38. madscientist

Curious, NMRI does cause electronic excitations in compounds, so reactions of any sort should be completely out of the question. The safe money would be on the author's experience being purely psychological in nature (or perhaps a reaction to a contrast agent used), but if not, we would need to reconsider quite a few things about how our brain works.

January 27, 2012 at 10:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LWZRGHT

SHE DID IT ON PURPOSE! It's not as if she was getting an fMRI and suddenly had an orgasm. Self-stimulated.....

January 27, 2012 at 11:00 | Report abuse |
    • a reader

You didn't read the article, did you? The orgasm was "self-stimulated."
      She doesn't claim the MRI gave her an orgasm; the MRI was imaging her brain during an orgasm.

January 27, 2012 at 11:08 | Report abuse |
    • Marion

It would be interesting to study how many people posting here read only the headline and jumped right to the comments seciton.

January 29, 2012 at 10:33 | Report abuse |
  39. Quid Malmborg in Plano TX

"I'll have what she's having."

January 27, 2012 at 10:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marion

I wonder if Rob Reiner's mother read this article. Is that you, mom?

January 29, 2012 at 10:35 | Report abuse |
  40. Duplin

I'm a moderately liberal Democrat, and I have no problem at all with sex research or sex education. However, I do feel certain that there are better uses for tax dollars during this difficult economic climate than funding the use of an MRI to research orgasms. No wonder the right wing goes a little kooky at times...

January 27, 2012 at 10:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lurking Pervert

what if the scientists find a part of the brain that overrides pain, and produces chemicals that make us feel good. Wouldn't this be valuable to those that are in tremendous pain or depression? We need to understand every part of the brain eventually.

January 27, 2012 at 10:59 | Report abuse |
    • madscientist

The reason this is being researched is that NMRI cannot cause chemical reactions by any known mechanism, so this observations warrants some explanation. Quite a few of the most interesting discoveries ever made started out from seemingly mundane experiments, and while I do not expect much to come from this, something will.

January 27, 2012 at 11:08 | Report abuse |
  41. Joyce

Actually, with the economic problems we have in America, and all the disease and poverty, it's hard to feel sympethetic enough for people with sexual dysfunctions to endorse diveringt funds towards this kind of research. I do think that choices must be made and quite frankly, studying sexual response is down there on the list. No pun intended.

January 27, 2012 at 10:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris R

These studies don't involve a lot of money. It's pretty minimal in fact. Anyway, it's not like this money is being diverted from other sources in a significant way. This was probably funded by the NIH or NSF. They are given a chunk of money and told to pick research areas. These agencies then post requests for proposals and scientists write applications to meet the research goals that were laid out. Then another group of scientists review the proposal and decides if it has merit. If it does then they may get funded. If this study wasn't funded the money saved would *not* have been given to help the poor. As far as disease research goes (something I'm involved with) there is never enough money to do everything we want but it is not as if an extra $100K would be the difference between curing AIDS or not.

January 27, 2012 at 10:58 | Report abuse |
  42. DSBsky

Your hired...lol... Anyone who can bust a nut in an MRI is cool in my book.. XD

January 27, 2012 at 10:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Yesindeed

The right question would be "How did you fit 3 other guys in there with you?"

January 27, 2012 at 10:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Barry

if this study will somehow help women achieve better orgasms or be less frigid...why wouldn't every male in the planet applaud this study??

January 27, 2012 at 10:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Southern Girl

Really, CNN? This is news????

January 27, 2012 at 10:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris R

Seems to be. Are you that incurious about the world and your own life that something like this is completely useless to you? Even if it is are you willing to concede that it may be news to others?

January 27, 2012 at 10:59 | Report abuse |
    • Dara

Exactly my thoughts...

January 27, 2012 at 11:04 | Report abuse |
    • Marion

I guess cnn thought so......you are reading it aren't you?

January 29, 2012 at 10:39 | Report abuse |
  46. Lurking Pervert is Funny

Ha. Keep up the funny Lurking Pervert.

January 27, 2012 at 10:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. LWZRGHT

Uh, if I lived in NJ, I would be PRETTY MAD that public money is used to fund this. Ms. Sukel makes some interesting points, but it's pretty obvious to me that private sources of funding should be the only source for this kind of thing. Obviously, she wrote a book about it, and she's going to make money personally. Hopefully the study itself is not taking money from the public funds of NJ, which are being cut left and right by their governor.
    There's a fine line here. Ok, so they were taking pictures of her brain. What if they were taking pictures of the other end of her torso? What do we classify this as then? THAT industry has plenty of funding, and maybe the author ought to talk to the adult industry if she wants to tap into funding sources.

January 27, 2012 at 10:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. why789

The MRI probably uploaded all her dirty deeds on facebook.

January 27, 2012 at 10:58 | Report abuse | Reply

Or YouTube. yuk yuk

January 29, 2012 at 10:41 | Report abuse |
  49. Dara

Some people still believe in God and religion, and that sex should be confined to a loving relationship. That is why some people may be angered over it....However, it seems that God has fallen out of sight to much of the United States, causing ridiculous research projects and money such as this one.

January 27, 2012 at 10:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • PumpNDump

PS: The whole "god" and "jesus" thing, a myth.

January 27, 2012 at 11:00 | Report abuse |
    • Chris R

I believe in God. I also believe that God, in It's wisdom, has given us the gift of enjoying sex and intimacy. I also believe that God, in It's wisdom, gave us intelligence and a deep curiosity about our world. In fact I believe that we have that gift of intellectual curiosity so that we may better understand God and the world that reflects God's plan. So trying to understand a deeply important part of our lives, trying to understand a gift from God, makes sense and is worthy of any Christian. Sex is best between loving and committed partners – you are right in that. Does that mean we should turn our backs on God and not try to understand it?

January 27, 2012 at 11:11 | Report abuse |
    • Dan

God wants what's best for me, and therefore wouldn't have intentionally supplied me with 2 hands a strong and natural sexual instinct if it were going to compromise my salvation. In fact, if sex were a damning act, he probably wouldn't have given us the ability to orgasm at all.

The purpose of life is to LIVE. Not to cower in fear of what will happen if we don't.

January 27, 2012 at 11:27 | Report abuse |
    • Dara

I do not feel that by not researching sex that I am turning my back on God. God intended sex to be used for having children and improving the emotional bond between husband and wife. Sex was not supposed to be made into a joke, publicized everywhere you turn, or turned into stress release that takes away from the true meaning of it. I do not live in fear of God, but I do feel that many people have lost respect for themselves and others (including boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, and wives)because of the way society views sex. If you have not been cheated on, then lucky for you. However, many people I know have and in turn now despise sex and intimacy because people are "curious about sex." Too bad it seems too hard for certain people to learn self-control so that they have sex with people they truly care about.

January 28, 2012 at 18:26 | Report abuse |
    • Marion

Chris R. I love you and want to marry you.

January 29, 2012 at 10:43 | Report abuse |
  50. PumpNDump

Kinsey "Studies" were debunked as total fabrication and fraud: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2299527/posts

January 27, 2012 at 10:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dara

In your opinion it is a myth. Not in the minds of millions of other people. You think what you want, but don't tell others we are right or wrong in regards to our faith.

January 27, 2012 at 11:06 | Report abuse |