home
RSS
U.S obesity rates unchanged
January 17th, 2012

U.S obesity rates unchanged

The prevalence of obesity in the United States seems to have plateaued, according to data released Tuesday.  The numbers show 35.7% of U.S. adults and almost 17% of U.S. children and teens are obese.

"There's been no change in the prevalence of obesity in recent years in children or adults," says Cynthia L Ogden, Ph.D, an epidemiologist with the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics and the leading author of the report.  "But I think looking over the last decade, it's interesting to see how the prevalence of obesity in men has caught up with the prevalence of obesity in women."

Ogden and her team compiled the data from 2009-2010 using the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. The survey measured the height and weight of almost 6,000 men and women and calculated their Body Mass Index (commonly known as BMI) to determine if they were obese.

They found that from 2009-2010, 35.5% of American men and 35.8% of American women were obese, with African-American and Mexican-American men and women having higher rates of obesity than white Americans. Obesity was more common among teens than preschool aged children and among boys than girls.

Take a look at our interactive map to find the obesity rates for your area

"This is a good news story but this is not the end of the story," says Dr. Valerie Montgomery Rice, Dean and Executive Vice President of Morehouse School of Medicine.

"We cannot feel good... until we see a decrease in the prevalence of obesity," says Dr. Montgomery Rice.

In Rice's opinion, efforts over the last several years to educate populations about the importance of daily exercise, to encourage the incorporation of  healthy foods into school cafeterias, and to combat food insecurity throughout the country is having an impact on the number of Americans who are obese.  But she cautions that more needs to be done and that doctors should focus on giving patients realistic weight loss goals when counseling patients about obesity.

"It's a difficult conversation to have with an individual, to say 'okay, you are obese.'" People kind of know what 'obese' is but not really."

For example, as an OB-GYN, Montgomery Rice counsels her patients on the dangers of belly fat and the reproductive issues that could be affected or made worse by obesity. She also encourages patients to focus on losing only 10% of their excess weight at a time.

"What I hope doesn't come out of this study is that we start to think we've made some significant improvement and we stop the efforts that have been put forth," says Rice.

soundoff (1,026 Responses)
  1. ramin

nothing is new and nothing has changed. fat, lazy, flabby, and unrighteous kurvas are still eating the same junk food and still watch tyra banks who tells them that it's ok to be fat and that there is a line of mofos who love fat women.

January 17, 2012 at 16:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • tyler

People saying it is lazyness to the core are incorrect.

Yes when you don't exercise you don't burn extra calories, but the extra calories are where the problem is coming from. Since the industrial revolution changed the way the world eats by making farming for larger numbers of people a priority, the government made laws to help subsidize different food products. During WWII, Corn was one of those food products.

Oh corn, how thou art in EVERYTHING. Scientists have come up with clever ways of taking a kernel of corn and utilizing nearly every part of it at very cheap prices. So cheap, that they use nearly all of corn as filler in nearly everything.

This ultra processed way of adding filler to foods is where the problem starts. It is the way of nearly all of our foods.

HIGH CALORIE – low density. So these super high calorie foods don't fill up a human stomach the way a non-processed food would. You eat a large head of lettuce – your brain will receive chemical messages telling you that you are full.

You eat a candy bar which is extremely calorie dense – more so than probably 10 heads of lettuce, and you will be still starving as you have not filled your stomach enough for your brain to tell you that you are full.

Now the 2nd part of my rant. When you take a look at the cost of foods in America, what will your dollar buy?

I can walk into a grocery store with 5 dollars and either choose to get a bag of lettuce, a couple of bannanas, and maybe an orange or two if they're on sale.

OR

I can walk down another aisle and get nearly a case of Top Ramen. Super processed, super unhealthy, and will stretch my money so I can feed my family for a few days rather than an incomplete meal.

America has numerous problems surrounding obesity.

Diet, exercise, and relatively seditary lifestyles since we are the leaders in the information age revolution.

When you eat poor quality foods followed by not moving at all during the day and then throw no exercise on top of it – you add up problems that are counteracting any real effort someone makes towards becoming healthy.

I blame the way food is sold in America. We are all about convenience and not about health. It's killing us and we don't care.

January 17, 2012 at 17:10 | Report abuse |
    • Tim

In the end it is still laziness. Why are you eating garbage instead of making a meal? Because you are too lazy to actually fire up the stove and make a meal. I don't blame the person selling the garbage, I blame the fat lazy person buying it. If you eat out at fast food or get ready made meals you will have a high calorie intake, learn to make the meal yourself. All the stuff is at the same place you just bought the hot pockets from.

January 17, 2012 at 17:14 | Report abuse |
    • Lanfear

I agree with Tim 100%. Do some research and learn how to eat properly. Spend a little more if you need to (my food budget doubled since I started eating organic, natural foods) just means I can't drink as much or eat out all the time. It's called an investment. Invest in your health. People have no initiative these days.

January 17, 2012 at 17:30 | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

I think it's both laziness and ignorance. I used to be really fat just because I ate too much food. I don't think chemicals in the food or whatever are to blame, it was just bad habits. It took me a long time to figure how to lose weight, there's too much bad info out there – people are preyed on and sold diet pills, books, and bunch of other BS. I applied simple concepts, I made sure I had at-least a small calorie deficit every day (100-500) went to the gym a little (1-2 hours/week) and avoided SOME junk food, not all. I still eat stuff like Pizza but not things like bacon or cake. You don't have to eat the best perfectly healthy food out there, it just has to be healthy enough.

January 17, 2012 at 17:37 | Report abuse |
    • Jack

When I look at this map it's amazing how Texas and Illinois show there state boarders clearly in the data. It doesn't make sense that a population group spread across state boundaries would have different results. Is this a function of state welfare policies Or is this a function of different data collection techniques?

January 17, 2012 at 18:10 | Report abuse |
    • rh

LOL, first time I saw that word written and not said by my dad.

January 17, 2012 at 18:19 | Report abuse |
    • Lisejoan

Tyler, your last statement is sooo sadly true.... I agree with you.

January 17, 2012 at 18:56 | Report abuse |
    • Jeff V

Man in Mirror – Look no further you are what you eat, if you are going to be eating crappy food; then don't complain, you have a choice. Today HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) found in many food items including soft drinks, it is one of the many reasons why we see Obesity in our country. We have a model in US

1. Eat crappy, 2. Get Fat and Sick 3. Take pills.

For those like me that do not know what harmful ingredients to avoid, i have discovered an iPhone app Nxtnutrio which helps me make better food choices and educates me about food ingredients.

Stay Healthy My Friend 😉

January 17, 2012 at 20:39 | Report abuse |
    • Um, no

It's stupid and simplistic to chalk it up to mere laziness. People who haven't had to experience an unhealthy relationship with food couldn't possibly understand this. I grew up in foster care, and for several years I lived with a family that starved me and my siblings while living large off the checks the government gave them for taking us in. I was finally removed from that house severely malnourished and underweight (thinner than you've probably ever been in your whole life), and spent months in the hospital recovering. But my relationship with food didn't get better. After spending years and years being hungry, I overdid it with the food. I developed an emotional dependence on food; being ridiculously full made me feel secure and liberated and removed from my past. If you've only ever thought of food as fuel you will never understand this. Of course I started packing on the pounds, even though I was relatively active, because I was eating like crazy. I'm not trying to make excuses, and I'm working through my issues in therapy now (and losing weight!). I'm just saying that people overeat for different reasons, and that quitting is often a lot harder than hitting the gym and putting down the sandwich. It's about addressing the reasons (which usually are emotional or psychological) why people overeat in the first place.

January 17, 2012 at 20:42 | Report abuse |
    • Memo

Tyra banks has never been fat.

January 17, 2012 at 23:12 | Report abuse |
    • dom

there are many and varried reasons for people becomeing obese. i know that a lovely "wonder drug" called prednisone will cause extreem weight gain. i have known several people on this medication that is used for quite a lot of medical conditions, within a few weeks i saw them go from stick skinny to ten ton tony. then you have food ammount intake. take for example the guy at mcdonalds who orders 3 big mac combos, large sized, just for himself. sadly one of the biggest causes is what is put INTO our foods. HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYROPE. it's almost impossible to avoid this nasty derivitive from corn in your food. in all honesty high fructose corn syrope should be banned from food products, but what can you expect when the fda is prety much run by the industrys they are suppost to watchdog. then there is a food cost issue. have you ever noticed that good food is more expensive then the garbage food. milk a nice tasteing healty drink is over twice the price of coke which is not so healty especialy since most if not all coke and other pops in the us contains that evil high fructose corn syrope. so people especialy those that have little money are FORCED by the PRICE to consume processed foods, as well as other unhealthy things to fill one's tummy. i saw someone mention ramon noodles. you are correct it is DANGEROUSLY unhealthy, once being out of work and broke, i tried to streach my doller by eating that. it was a HUGE mistake, a friend took me out and i passed out. one min i was standing the next thing i knew was i was surrounded by friends asking what i had been eating. when i told them i got a lecture about the fact that ramon noodles have almost zero nurishment. i was lucky i passed out there where there were people who could help and not home alone.

then as an additianal bonus people don't have TIME to cook good quality food. just ask any elderly woman about the time speant cooking in the "old days". back then generaly speaking someone was at home all day, who would have the time to prepare good, healthy meals. not so today with prety much everyone haveing to work to afford to do things like eat, and have a place to live. so that takes away the time that once was used as prep time. so yet again people are forced to eat junk instead of healthy food. then add in the fact that most people do not live close to their job site. i know i had to take a bus for awile, so i would leave for work at about 4am to get there at 7am (or slightly after 7 in GOOD weather). i would work my 9 hour shift and get home arround 7pm. so i was actualy at home a total of 9 hours so when exactly did i have time to prepare a good meal? then you have the people who drive a couple hours each way to work. there are also many people out there working two or three jobs to make ends meet, when do they have time to prepare a meal? this is also one reason fast food is so popular. people don't have time to cook so you end up stopping to pick up food at a restraunt. yet again fast food, ie: not very healthy, is cheaper than a good meal at a good restraunt not to mention yet again time is also a factor.

there is also the way we work now, quite a lot of jobs require sitting all day. this definately helps people become obese, the lack of exercise. yet again many peopole DON'T have the TIME to exercise. many can't afford to go to a gym either and many places it is not safe to say go jogging early in the morning before work or at night after work. it's not just people BEING LAZY.

all in all there are varying reasons to become obese. many can even be fixed. the easyest to fix and is also probably the major contributer would be to ban high fructose corn syrope for use in foods (includeing cattle feed). a harder one to fix is priceing of stuff, unhealty processed food should not be more expensive. think about it WHY is processed food cheaper? after all, all you have to do for a steak, is to kill the animal, cut it up and package and sell. now look at a canned meat product. you still kill the animal. now the meat is typicaly ground up mabe a slight cost saveings (especialy since they tend to add in bits that most people would not eat). BUT then you add all the chemicals and preservitives. now that ADDS to production cost over fresh meat. then instead of cheap paper, or styrophome/platic, you use a CAN now that deffinatly costs more. so how come canned meat is cheaper?

yes there is an obesety problem, but unfortunatly unless something changes drasticaly, it is a problem that will continue to haunt us.

January 18, 2012 at 10:52 | Report abuse |
    • ser

you know...i get sick and tired of the loud mouth baffoons on here that preach about cooking your own food...and you will lose weight....blah blah blah...it doesn't matter.....you can cook the food you want but if you sit down and eat an entire freaking steak that is 24 ounces...just cause you cooked it at home doesn't mean it is healthy or you will lsoe weight...what about the mashed potatoes you cooked at home and loaded with butter, milk, salt....yeah cooking at home is probably better for you cause you can control the ingredients, but portion control is what the magic bullet is.

January 18, 2012 at 12:13 | Report abuse |
  2. Victor

I think people complaining about the BMI index are missing the point. If you are ripped up and have a 32 inch waste. Don't sweat it...just stay off the scale nobody is calling you fat. As to why Americans are fat...the problem is that our lives have become based upon consumption, consumption, consumption. I guarntee anybody out there that if they just eat whole foods (mostly vegies and lean meat every so often) and significantly limit processed sugars, sweetners, white flower, white rice, cold cereals, and most other processed food, and drink only water or seltzer water, you will slowly but steadly lose weight without trying. It really is not a big deal.

Also, don't hang out with fat people if you can help it. If you haven't noticed fat people are generally obsessed with where their next meal is coming from, what diet they are on, or anything else dealing with food. Except for the freaks of nature with crazy metabolisms, thin people are simply not fixated on food. They eat what they need and leave the rest on the plate. Also, like alchlics who can't stand drinking alone, they encourage those around them to eat as well. Get off the wagon and enjoy life while limiting the food intake. Believe me, you'll like it much better.

January 17, 2012 at 16:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joe

"I guarntee anybody out there that if they just eat whole foods (mostly vegies and lean meat every so often) and significantly limit processed sugars, sweetners, white flower, white rice, cold cereals, and most other processed food, and drink only water or seltzer water, you will slowly but steadly lose weight without trying. It really is not a big deal."

Read what you wrote again and think about it...where does the "without trying" come in here? I'm seeing a whole lot of "try".

January 17, 2012 at 16:54 | Report abuse |
    • No Name

Wrong on the BMI . It is being used by many employers and insurance companies do dertrime a potential health risk factor and it is not be adjusted for those that are physically fit with musle. We still get classified as overweight and obese. Ask any good doctor today and they will tell you the BMI Index is a out of date and should not be used to determine anything. I work in the healthcare indusry and know first hand. Insurance comapnies love this index because they can you it as leverage to raise employer health care premiums that just get past on to the employee.

January 17, 2012 at 16:56 | Report abuse |
    • Memo

I am a thin person who always thinks about food. Dieting is a hobby of mine. I think the trick is to diet regularly, and not to go overboard with the food. Gain a few pounds and then lose them before they add up.

January 17, 2012 at 23:17 | Report abuse |
  3. The_Mick

Those saying BMI based strictly on height and weight is ridiculous are correct on an INDIVIDUAL basis. But if you've measured hundreds or more people, it will average out. The last year I taught high school 2005-6, the girl voted homecoming queen would have had a problem getting a date to the homecoming dance, let alone being elected queen, because she was not quite obese but clearly overweight. But that's "normal" now! I had a lot of kids who came out for the cross country team I coached simply to lose weight. They did it without dieting, which goes to show our kids' obesity epidemic is due more due to Wii, DS, Xbox, etc. than it is to McDonalds. The fact we've become such a violent society that we're afraid to let kids walk down the street anymore is another reason.

January 17, 2012 at 16:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sean

@The_Mick
      Um.. simply put, no.
      Xbox, Wii, ect didn’t make kids fat. Explain the Adults, seeing as they have a much higher percentage of obesity? Lack of exercise is a big problem, but only ONE of many. McDonalds didn’t make your kid fat ether, taking them to McDonalds (or equivalent) a few times a week did. Any doctor (I should know, I’m married to one and have to go to enough of their parties) will tell you: You have to EAT right AND exercise.

January 17, 2012 at 16:33 | Report abuse |
    • SunnyOne

But that is just the problem...it ONLY averages out for studies. When you are sitting in a doctor's office and you have the doctor ripping into you for your BMI when you eat right, hit the gym at least 5 days a week, your cholesterol and blood pressure are great, and you are a woman wearing a size 4-6 (depending on the cut), how is that "balancing out"! I'm tired of being told, "Well, you need to make sure you are eating a low fat diet....yadda, yadda!" No wonder so many girls and women are anorexic or bulimic, when they are just fine and a doctor is telling them they could still stand to lose a few pounds!

January 17, 2012 at 16:55 | Report abuse |
    • Eck

The BMI scale is ridiculous. I'm about 5'9" and weigh around 180 lbs. I have a 33 inch waist and am in the upper tier of the overweight BMI. For me to get to the dead center of "normal weight" I'd need to lose 35 lbs. I'm 15-16% body fat. If I were to lose 5-6% of my weight (body fat) I'd end up losing 10 pounds, so now I'd be 10% body fat and I'd still be 25 lbs away from being in the center of normal. I'm somewhat muscular, but I'm far from "shredded". The healthy body fat range for a male my age is 8-19%, so I'm still in the healthy range. BMI is a poor scale to use. Body fat is the best, and arguably only way to know if someone is obese.

January 17, 2012 at 17:12 | Report abuse |
    • JLS639

Sean: "Explain the Adults, seeing as they have a much higher percentage of obesity?"
      Younger people are resistant to many of the ill effects of unhealthy habits. Unhealthy habits have not caught up with them yet. I did not begin to develop a belly until I was 17 (and it was not much). My eating and exercise habits were essentially the same from ages 14-17. I was not overweight until I was 22 or 23.

January 17, 2012 at 17:41 | Report abuse |
    • Sean

@JLS639
      Thank you for proving my point. The Xbox and Wii didn’t make you fat. Your bad habits did.

I’m a ‘gamer’ I’m 33 years old 6’1 and 179 lbs.

January 18, 2012 at 08:08 | Report abuse |
  4. Roberto

I've lost 52 pounds and have another 20ish to go until I'm satisfied. I'm tired of hearing people rationalize their way to thinking that they're not obese. I was in the bmi obese category but since I didn't have rolls hanging over my belt or off my legs or arms I rationalized my thoughts to comfort me. Now I've seen the light and am looking to at least hit the top end of the bmi recommendations. Now that I'm 52 pounds less I see that I'm still overweight and that I was CERTAINLY obese before. We, as a society, need to wise up and do what's healthy, lose weight and be happier. Enough rationalization, we're only killing ourselves off.

January 17, 2012 at 16:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lanfear

Good for you Roberto! It is never too late to wake up and do the right thing.

January 17, 2012 at 16:45 | Report abuse |
  5. Princess Dianne

I gave up sugar, fast food, and processed crap 30 days ago....and I've lost 14 pounds. 14 pounds in 30 days, people. I have 211 more pounds to lose. Yes, I'm morbidly obese. Yes, I'm taking responsibility for my health. Yes, I will hit my goal weight!!!

In my opinion, people need to slow down....we grab too much for "convenience" and not substance. I'll tell you what: it's not convenient for me to be fat. I have chosen to live my life and take care of myself...whether you have 5 pounds to lose or 500 pounds to lose, you can do the same.

Get up right now and walk for as long as you can. If you're morbidly obese, do 5 minutes. Tomorrow, do 10 minutes. DO NOT let anyone else give you crap about where they think you should be or what they think you should be doing. No matter how slow you are, you're still lapping everyone on the couch. Make today extraordinary!

Watch my progress at http://www.hotmessprincess.com

January 17, 2012 at 16:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lanfear

Great work, Dianne! Fantastic website. Your pets look lovely btw, and I have a black cat just like yours!

January 17, 2012 at 16:48 | Report abuse |
    • Cherries

Great job! Keep up the great work!

January 17, 2012 at 18:48 | Report abuse |
  6. Jon

The US Congress passed a law stating that pizza is a vegetable because it has tomato sauce on it. Next thing you know, they'll pass a law saying candy and soda containing high-fructose corn syrup are vegetables because corn is a vegetable.

January 17, 2012 at 16:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • The Nail Biter

there's where you're greatly mistaken...corn is NOT a vegetable.

January 17, 2012 at 16:32 | Report abuse |
    • KJC

Seriously! That vote was just a disgrace! I know we want to save money, but serving overprocessed JUNK to little kids and calling pizza a "vegetable" to save money is absurd. Not to mention the fact that allowing today's children to eat that stuff every single day will likely lead to more health issuse when they are older, and our costs will ultimately go UP!

January 17, 2012 at 16:38 | Report abuse |
    • Lanfear

Good lord!

Stay away from anything that has corn syrup in it, that's my advice!

January 17, 2012 at 16:49 | Report abuse |
    • Kat

Tomato isn't a vegetable, it is a fruit. Corn also isn't a vegetable, it is a grain.

January 17, 2012 at 16:57 | Report abuse |
    • Drinker

If you really want to get into it, vegetable is a culinary term, not a botany term. Lose the labels and just figure out what's healthy to eat!

January 17, 2012 at 17:42 | Report abuse |
    • JLS639

You should not believe tabloid-like headlines like these. Congress did not declare pizza to be a vegetable.

Congress made it easier to classify pizza sauce (not pizza) as a vegetable. Not all pizza sauce qualifies. There needs to be a specific volume of tomato paste or tomato puree in a serving to count. Furthermore, schools cannot count pizza sauce as a vegetable serving even if it has sufficient tomato volume unless the dish meets certain criteria for calories, fat content and sugar content. Any pizza that would qualify for a serving of vegetables would not look like your typical slice from a pizza joint. It would have to have much less cheese, a thin crust and a whole lot of tomato.

The problem lies not in this vote. The problem lies in much older USDA regulations that give tomato paste and puree special treatment. It takes much less tomato paste to count as a serving of vegetables than any non-tomato fruit or vegetable. The Obama administration tried to get tomato measured by the same standard as everything else, and Congress passed a law setting the old standard back in place.

January 17, 2012 at 17:54 | Report abuse |
    • gary

congress might say since cigars are made from green leafy vegetables, cigars count as salad.

January 17, 2012 at 18:28 | Report abuse |
    • Memo

Corn is not a vegetable. It's a grain.

January 17, 2012 at 23:24 | Report abuse |
  7. CK

People need to stop discriminating against people based on their BMI in this country, it doesn't solve a thing. Just based on this article it just proves it doesn't help.

January 17, 2012 at 16:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Time Bandit

I agree, I am overweight and would love to loose and am trying. Haven't eaten fast food since 2005, the problem I am faced is getting turned down by health insurance companies for coverage because of my height/weight ratio. I have no pre-existing conditions, no diabetes, no cancer, don't smoke and don't drink. I get yearly physicals, every year I am tested for diabetes and come up negative. My LDL/HDL are fine, my thyroid is normal. Because insurance companies ASSUME something will happen, I am declined. I rarely get sick, the only time I go see the Dr is for my yearly exams and physicals.

January 17, 2012 at 16:55 | Report abuse |
    • Jon

And people think that because we suppossedly "chose" to be this way, (although, why somebody would choose obesity is beyond me), they have a right to discriminate against us and our level of health care. Well, let me tell you something. For anyone out there who has ever caught an STD, you CHOSE where you put your genitalia and now MY health care dollars get to pay for it. From now on, we get to vote by committee before you are allowed to have sex. Seems fair to me.

January 17, 2012 at 17:35 | Report abuse |
  8. The Nail Biter

January 17, 2012 at 16:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. jp

If big corporations would all just make the switch to real sugar instead of corn syrup it would help everyone tremendously! Look at other countries that don't use corn syrup and look to our own history before we used corn syrup in nearly everything. You just don't see those high obesity rates there!

January 17, 2012 at 16:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SunnyOne

AMEN! Fact: When we eat natural sugars, a hormone called leptin in our body rises, and when it gets to a certain level, our brain sends a message to stop eating. High fructose corn syrup does not have this effect, as the body isn't sure what it is. So, the only message we get to stop eating is when our stomach feels like we just swallowed a cow! So-called added preservatives, flavor enhancers, etc. are messing up the natural balance in our systems, causing more cases of hypothyroidism and other hormonal disorders which actually slow the metabolism. This is why I eat as raw and natural as possible...little to no processed foods, hormone/antibiotic free meats, stay away from high fructose syrup and other artificial sweeteners (even the ones that claim to be calorie free), etc.

January 17, 2012 at 17:00 | Report abuse |
    • Kat

I don't think corn syrup is the only problem. There's too much sodium in our food, too much sugar in general, and most "bad" food is readilly available and not very expensive. Corn syrup may play a role, but in order for our country to get rid of obesity, America needs a food revolution.

January 17, 2012 at 17:09 | Report abuse |
    • SunnyOne

Exactly, Kat! Why does the processed canned veggies cost less than the fresh? Why does it cost more to do nothing to them? At the same time, why does all the crap need to go into our food? Do we really need additives, fillers, etc.? Until we get the crap out of our food supply, this will be a never ending issue! Fact #2: MSG is what they feed lab rats to make them over-eat, because otherwise, they would only eat what they need. Yet, MSG is in nearly every processed item on the store shelves as a "preservative" or "flavor enhancer"? Seems to me they are trying to addict people to food!

January 17, 2012 at 17:13 | Report abuse |
    • Eck

Read the newest reports on HFCS. They're finding that it's no worse than sugar. The biggest issue has been people keep their sugar intake where it was and started to add HFCS to the diet in addition. Pretty much all new research is stating that the two are about the same to ones health.

January 17, 2012 at 17:17 | Report abuse |
    • Kat

@Eck, personally, I wouldn't trust any reports on corn syrup. Who is to say the studies weren't funded by anyone somehow related to the industries involved in corn syrup? Reports can be biased. Secondly, any report on corn syrup, like most health reports is probably inconclusive. I'm not saying the reports you are reading are wrong, I am just saying you have to use discretion and be selective about what you believe.

January 17, 2012 at 17:25 | Report abuse |
    • Memo

Corn syrup is only one of many factors. You can make your own food in this special room called a kitchen without using any corn syrup at all.

January 17, 2012 at 23:32 | Report abuse |
  10. Mike Learned

In the meantime weight loss surgery is the way to go.

http://www.lapband.info has a bunch of great information about the procedure!

January 17, 2012 at 16:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ghost of Dickens

Diet and exercise are the sensible first steps. Surgery has risks and should not be undertaken without trying diet and exercise for many months.

January 17, 2012 at 17:12 | Report abuse |
  11. Maggie

I'm sick of hearing how everyone needs to be on food stamps and get free meals at school, when all I see is fat kids and fatter adults. Everyone I see in line paying with the food stamp debit card is morbidly obese and buying a bunch of junk food.

January 17, 2012 at 16:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • KJC

If you want to talk about kids putting on weight, for some kids on free lunch, their only daily meal comes from school. No, I do not think we should take that away from them. But it is pretty pathetic that our government just passed a law that a slice of pizza counts as a vegetable, because it has sauce...I mean, really?

January 17, 2012 at 16:40 | Report abuse |
    • TRIGGER

I am with you Maggie !! There should be alot more items on the list not allowed to be purchased.

January 17, 2012 at 16:41 | Report abuse |
    • Ghost of Dickens

Where does it say "everyone needs to be on food stamps and get free meals at school"?

January 17, 2012 at 17:07 | Report abuse |
    • tyler

If you look at the price of those foods vs. fresh vegetables and whole grains you would understand. I grew up a little poor, and that is all we could afford. Now I eat healthier at 5 times the price....

Eating well is not cheap, and with food stamps you have to be cheap.

January 17, 2012 at 17:21 | Report abuse |
    • Frances Foster

The reason poorer people are fat is because they can buy junk food, sodas, chips, etc. much cheaper than fresh produce and fruits.

January 17, 2012 at 20:02 | Report abuse |
    • MedStudent

I do not buy the "unhealthy foods are cheaper" excuse. 5 bananas costs $1. A box of healthy granola bars can cost $3. There you have a snack for every day of the week for a total of $4. Or, you can get a bag of chips or box of cookies for the same price. You can spend $3-4 a day at mcdonalds, or you can buy healthy sandwich supplies for a week for under $10 total. It is doable, I do it every day on a student budget.

January 17, 2012 at 20:15 | Report abuse |
  12. TRIGGER

So much for the OBAMA'S "let's move campaign",wonder how much that cost the U.S !!??

January 17, 2012 at 16:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Todd in DC

Nice try, tea bagger. I'm sure that Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" campaign really did such a job at reducing drug use.

January 17, 2012 at 17:10 | Report abuse |
  13. gravis

Just shave off all the fat from the obese and throw it into a big vat to produce energy. Hell, the collective blubber from Alabama alone would run this country for ten years.

January 17, 2012 at 16:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lanfear

gravis, you are actually on to something. All these obese people could get on the treadmill/spin bike and create energy that way. I actually did that once at a science fair! (I'm not obese though lol).
      There's actually one gym I read about that is powered by the engergy created from people using the workout equipment.
      Think about it, there would be an endless supply of energy and also these people would get into shape and live healthier lives.

January 17, 2012 at 16:53 | Report abuse |
    • gravis

lanfear, people have thought of that before, but I think potential lawsuits stopped it. A heart attack strikes an obese litigation lawyer on a treadmill wheel, and the company's out of business.

January 17, 2012 at 16:57 | Report abuse |
  14. Tr1Xen

Guilty as charged! I need to start PLAYING football instead of sitting on the couch watching it!

January 17, 2012 at 16:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Joe

I'm always skeptical of these BMI indexes. Julio Jones is a starting wide receiver for the Atlanta Falcons and is in tip-top physical shape. However, because of all his muscle he is classified as "overweight" (6'3" 220 pounds) by BMI calculators.

January 17, 2012 at 16:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lanfear

Yes, my bf who works out is also "obese" lol. But how many of the 6000 surveyed do you think actually lift weights? Maybe 1 or 2%? The results of this study are still pretty acurate despite the odd person who carries a large amount of muscle mass.

January 17, 2012 at 16:57 | Report abuse |
    • Forrestal

BMI's aren't perfect, and they tend to measure incorrectly for people who are in intense strength training and build up a lot of muscle, which is heavier than fat. If you're not Julio Jones, BMI is a fairly good measurement

January 17, 2012 at 17:10 | Report abuse |
  16. justmike

I believe it's 95% food and maybe 5% exercise. It's harder to eat while exercising, so any time away from eating is good. We Americans have such an abundance of wrong foods that are much more available. It's simply the path of least resistance at this point. Most people wont take their younger 2.5 kids to a healthy restaurant, and if they did, maybe once, so no MONEY in that. So, someone make a drive-through only super quick health driven place that mom or even dad could stop in quickly that's somewhat cheap, then maybe there is a chance. I know the excuses, and here are two big ones. People with jobs have less time for all that. People without jobs have less money for all that. So they simply become all that, and then some. A lifestyle change may not be easy, but it sure is worth it.

January 17, 2012 at 16:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lanfear

Pretty close... from books that I have read, it's more like 85% diet and 15% exercise. Because if you eat properly and not shiit, your body will naturally burn off the calories you eat anyways.

I used to spend about $75-100 a month on food that included vegetables, lean meats. Now I spend more like $150-200 a month to buy natural and organic items. I have to eat out and drink much less to be able to afford this, but guess what, it's possible. And it's your health. So eat shiit if you want people, but don't complain that you can't afford to do otherwise. Budget, sacrifice, do whatever you have to, it's your health and it's either important to you or it isn't. My health is my #1 priority at this point in my life and it will remain that way.

January 17, 2012 at 17:04 | Report abuse |
  17. Jay

What we really need is portion control and being able to eat fatty foods in moderation. In France, only 11.3% of the people are obese, compared to the 35% here. In Scandinavian countries, it's even better; one of them is only at the 8% mark. If you've ever eaten French food, you see why they stay at a normal body weight for the most part. Their food is delicious and covered in sauces, cheese, and other fatty things. However, the reason that they don't get fat is because their portions aren't gigantic like they are here. In Scandinavian countries, many of the people eat things like fish and they walk everywhere. Maybe we should take some pointers from other countries....

January 17, 2012 at 17:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kat

I agree, and I don't want America to go down in history books as the country that invented the phrase "Super Size Me."

January 17, 2012 at 17:18 | Report abuse |
    • Primal

Sorry, fat does not make you fat. Eating lots of saturated fat and Omega 3 fats are not only god for you but absolutely necessary. Your body cannot survive without them, period.

People become overweight by eating too many carbs from grains. These calories are not used but stored, and then we eat again because we feel hungry. The process repeats itself over and over.

January 17, 2012 at 18:02 | Report abuse |
    • KentAZ

"Primal" nailed it and obviously has done her/his homework.

Total caloric intake doesn't make you obese. Eating fat doesn't make you fat, nor–unless is artificially created trans-fats–is it unhealthy. Carbs are the problem, and not just simple carbs such as sugars. The "healthy" whole grain foods are neither necessary nor ultimately beneficial.

January 17, 2012 at 19:11 | Report abuse |
  18. karina

ha ha...the predominantly red states on the interactive map (which indicates highest obesity rate) are also the predominantly red political states (GOP)......so, there is a correlation between being obese and lacking common sense. Most Republicans consistenly vote against their own better interest and most obese people lack the common sense to know when to stop eating and what not to eat....not to mention when to get off the bottoms and MOVE.

January 17, 2012 at 17:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • gravis

Have you ever seen a thin person at a Tea Party gathering? I haven't. Fat, white, gullible, loud and stupid pretty much sums it up.

January 17, 2012 at 17:24 | Report abuse |
    • Primal

WOW are you clueless, please do not have kids, they will be nothing but a drain on society.

January 17, 2012 at 18:04 | Report abuse |
  19. Reasonably

Eat less and move more. And educate yourself on what you eat. You'd be surprised at the results. There will be a time when Fat-Welfare will become a concern if we're all sharing the bill via socialized medicine.

January 17, 2012 at 17:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Brock

It is so funny how easily people can be controlled and manipulated by the food police and the Nanny State. The BMI index is seriously flawed and the number of obese is just not there. The food police want to take people's rights away on the foods available to them and take away food choice.

Quick service restaurants serve food fast because people are more mobile and want to be on the go. People are running around for sports and school and several other reasons. Our customers get upset if they wait too long at post office or bank but let them wait two minutes are art food and they act like its a crime.

People are so impatient and have lost all civil decency. All foods are choices and they are neither good nor bad, but just choices.
    People need to exercise and look at all the foods from steak restaurants to Cheesecake factory to italian restaurants. Most mom and pop restaurants serve meals that are way higher in calories and sodium than any quick service restaurant, yet they go unmentioned by the food police. Everyone is trying to pitch their eat local to gain their own business market for money.

Everyone needs to eat whatever they want without so many people trying to force everyone to eat something else. I would love a world where no one else pushed their cause or belief on me and I won't push mine on you. Stop the food police and Nanny state police from taking away our rights.

January 17, 2012 at 17:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Maggie

We poor, we on food stamps. We can only afford to eat at McDonalds. Seriously, the above posts that you can't eat healthy if you are on food stamps or poor are so ridiculous. How about rice? Potatoes? Eggs? Put down the pre-packaged pizza and cigarettes and you might do better.

January 17, 2012 at 17:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. jake

it's up to you.
    eat what you want and live to 76
    eat healthy and live to 89

January 17, 2012 at 17:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Patrick

Dog food – McDonald, Burger King, fake Italian pizza with a 2" crust with a pound of cheese – is the American cuisine recipe for obesity.... already more than 30% of the population is obese... I forgot the 1 liter of soda with the dog food meal.... good luck for loosing weight.... and now the dog food giant – burger king – will make home delivery, no need to go to the shop to get it just stay on the coach a little longer it is very healthy...!!!!

January 17, 2012 at 17:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sean

You’re an idiot if you think that diet is exclusive to Americans. For pete’s sake there is a KFC in Tahrir square.

January 18, 2012 at 08:12 | Report abuse |
  24. steve19

I work in the finess world and BMI is an unreliable measurement and should not be used to decide anything. You height to weight ratio is affected by muscle mass and body type. Also, certain people groups tend to have different body characteristics. As far as losing fat goes, almost all of us know what to do: Eat better food, smaller portions and get more exercise. Some will choose to do it and some won't. It is also good to keep in mind that it is MUCH EASIER

January 17, 2012 at 17:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • steve19

(sorry I hit enter by mistake) It is MUCH EASIER for some people to lose weight than other due to genetics, so that should be kept in mind when dealing with this issue.

January 17, 2012 at 17:56 | Report abuse |
  25. TT

I think serving size is the problem. Americans eat large meals.

January 17, 2012 at 17:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Primal

Not entirely true, I still eat huge meals, it's just that all the food is good for me. For example I eat 6 to 8 pieces of bacon and 4 eggs just about every morning. I lose weight too.

January 17, 2012 at 17:59 | Report abuse |
    • dom

i'm not as sure how much serving size realy accounts for obesety, (ok yes some people do deffinatly eat way too much). the thing is the only time i got fat was when i was practicaly starveing. i had to live for about a year or so with no income (didn't even qualify for welfare). so i had to SEVERELY RATION my food, like say about half a can of vegies, or anything else i had on hand a day, with some days haveing nothing to eat at all, even meat that had been forgotten in the bottom of a freezer for years (just put freezer burned meat in warm water and it rehydrates to a point tho still dosen't taste very nice). the thing is i went from a 32" waist (loose fitting)to about 38"(tight, and popping buttons, breaking zippers ect). now once i was able to return to work, and eating a more proppely, i started to loose that weight. it took several months but finaly after actualy haveing food and eating decent ammount, and more than once a day it the flab started to go away (you might have sworn i was in early pregnancy lol, or at least had a good beer belly (don't drink beer at all)). this has actualy always disturbed me deep down. why did i get fat with LITTLE TO NO FOOD, and then once i started eating more it went away?

January 18, 2012 at 19:52 | Report abuse |
  26. Primal

Stop eating all grains, beans, rice, pasta, legumes, processed foods,and trans fat oils. If you do that you will lose weight without effort.

Eat lean meats, lots of eggs, and plenty of fruits and vegetables. It's that simple and it works for every single human on the planet. Guaranteed.

I'll never eat grains again, that's how good I feel now. Off all medications and dropped 40 pounds. Visit the website MarksDailyApple to get started on you path to outstanding health.

January 17, 2012 at 17:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • KentAZ

One of the few truly informed posts in this discussion. You've done your homework.

January 17, 2012 at 19:12 | Report abuse |
    • Saint Joshi

I actually agree with the concept and for the most part my diet consists of these basic foods (not industrialized crops). It works well.

However, I was a vegan at one point and had to eat lots of beans for protein. I still stayed away from the grains, and try too still, but they are everywhare when eating out! Not that it can't be done- byt it certainly takes an effort to follow this "Paleo" type diet, especially if one doesn't eat meat.

January 18, 2012 at 13:08 | Report abuse |
  27. Russled Jimmies

Don't forget, it's our right to be obese if we want to be. Don't tread on our freedom to eat however we want to.

January 17, 2012 at 18:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • gary

but the health care costs are a burdon to the rest of us. It's OK to be bloated if you don't put the cost on others. If you have insurance and use it, it costs the rest of us.

January 17, 2012 at 18:26 | Report abuse |
    • Jon

Again, Gary, treating STD's raises my health care costs also. Do I get to stick my nose into your sex life to ensure that my costs stay down?

January 17, 2012 at 19:01 | Report abuse |
  28. rh

That picture is either a pre-teen or a pregnant woman. No fat adult would have arms that thin and a belly that big.

January 17, 2012 at 18:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Dr. Sam

Obese between the ears too.

January 17, 2012 at 18:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. gary

Too much TV. Too much fast food. Too much crappy processed food. Too little exercise. Too much laziness. Obese blobs riding in electric carts thru stores is gross.

January 17, 2012 at 18:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jon

I can think of even more disgusting things. Bigotry comes to mind.

January 17, 2012 at 19:00 | Report abuse |
  31. flutinkat

It's really insulting that fat people are ostracized – sometimes you just can't help it. I am 5'8" and weigh 200 lbs as a woman in my 20s. I am well familiar with the looks of degradation that tell me I can help it. Today was a typical day – I ate a parfait with fruit and low-fat yogurt for breakfast, coffee for a morning snack, lean cuisine for lunch, carrots for an afternoon snack, and vegetable stir fry for dinner. The diet is usually around 1400 calories. I do also walk 1-2 miles daily, and my job has me standing or walking 6 hours a day. I actually had to quit running 3-6 miles daily because my weight was killing my knees. Every adult in my family is obese and has the same lifestyle, give or take. Stop before you criticize. You wouldn't criticize anyone with a genetic condition other than obesity, so what makes it so different? Would you criticize an adult with Down's syndrome, saying they could have helped it? So what makes me so different?

January 17, 2012 at 18:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jon

What makes us different? They feel like they get to feel a little better about their own pathetic littles lives by pointing at us and saying, "Well, at least I'm not fat." It is really a self-esteem problem on their part but the rest of us have to pay the price for it. Remember, being fat is still one of the only acceptable prejudices left in this country.

January 17, 2012 at 18:52 | Report abuse |
    • swole

all carbs and sugar and not a single gram of protein in your whole diet no wonder you are fat

January 17, 2012 at 20:26 | Report abuse |
    • Taysha

Swole, you have the nutritional awareness of a platypus

Yogurt = protein.
      Lean cuisine meals – usually a good amount of protein in them

Carbs, yes. Not much sugar, unless you count that from fruit. Go read a few books, then come back, mkay?

Flutinkat – you may want to add a few modifications to your diet: (target weight +20) x10 is a good idea of what your daily consumption should be for avoiding starvation state, which makes it much harder to loose weight. If your target weight is 150lbs, go for a 1700 cal/day diet. I would suggest you switch out the carrots for a different veggie (or some fruit and maybe some cheese). It should help.

Beyond that, I fully agree with you. Fat bashing is the new in-thing. It's politically correct to bash fat people, since they can't bash anyone else.

January 18, 2012 at 11:09 | Report abuse |
    • Saint Joshi

flutinkat- I'm sorry that some people look at you with degradation. They shouldn't; it's wrong.

My best friend seems to match your body type and she, just like you, is not lazy nor can she help her weight. We both played a D1 sport on full rides at a top school and she is a great athlete. It was hard to see her always struggle with her weight as she worked out a lot, ate a very well balanced diet and lived a food conscious lifestyle. She even runs marathons! I happen to be the opposite. I take in about 3,000 calories a day (usually organic/ home cooked meals- but sometimes junk food) but I hover around the underweight/normal border. My mother is they same way. We couldn't gain weight if we tried.

My point is that people should assume innocence and try not to be so judgmental. Some people truly can't help their body weight. It's obvious why people show you ridicule- most people CAN alter their body weight naturally, so you have been (wrongly) lumped into this generalization. But for those of us who can't, especially those who don't have picture perfect skinny bodies, save your judgements till you know the whole story.

January 18, 2012 at 13:25 | Report abuse |
  32. pogojo

we need to tax every fast food item 25 cents extra, to pay for the healthcare costs.

January 17, 2012 at 18:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jon

And we should also tax everyone $1 everytime they have sex to help defer the high cost of treating STD's to society.

January 17, 2012 at 18:55 | Report abuse |
  33. Staffo

I quit reading these as soon as I see "BMI" in the report.
    BMI > 30 does NOT (necessarily) mean you are overweight. It that's what their percentages are solely based on, they're meaningless.

January 17, 2012 at 18:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. pogojo

Dont eat when you are bored, upset, stressed. Eat when you are hungry.

January 17, 2012 at 18:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Blue 19

I took a cruise to the Caribbean last year and I was shocked at how many big people I saw. There was this one youngish lady in the pool in a bathing suit that was way too small. It looked like an egg wearing a rubber band for crying out loud. I'm not sure what's wrose though, that image burned into my mind of the fact she was comforatble with her size. It seems obese is becoming the norm, so people don't feel a need to do anything about it; there'll always be someone else fatter to come along to make them think their physical condition isn't so bad.

January 17, 2012 at 18:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jon

"It" looked like an egg? That "it" is a fellow human being you are talking about. Could you be anymore demeaning?

January 17, 2012 at 18:58 | Report abuse |
  36. BillR

When people start paying for my food, then they can tell me what to eat. Until then i will eat what i want, when i want. This stuff is getting like communist china for good sack. There will always be people who are heavy and people who are skinny. Thats life People have to start minding there own business. I'm 6 ft 195 not fat or skinny.

January 17, 2012 at 18:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. KentAZ

Reading the article and most of the comments reveals why so many Americans are obese. As a society we're still laboring under the prevalent decades-old myths related to diet and obesity. Myths such as the notion that a lack of exercise leads to obesity (exercise is beneficial for many reasons, but not directly related to losing weight nor is total calorie intake); the idea that ingesting saturated fats causes obesity and heart disease (not supported by the evidence); the concept that "balance" and "moderation" are the key to health and weight maintenance (intuitive but not true); the assertion that fruits and whole grains should comprise a significant portion of one's eating regimen (carbs–both complex and simple, whole grain and processed–raise insulin levels which interferes with the body's normal process of metabolizing calories and leads to weight gain as well as other negative health affects).

Until these erroneous concepts are discarded and people embrace the preponderance of the clinical and scientific data there will be an obesity problem irrespective of how much exercising and calorie counting is done.

January 17, 2012 at 19:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • KentAZ

typo: "affects" should be "effects."

January 17, 2012 at 19:13 | Report abuse |
  38. don

who cares, eat your heart out

January 17, 2012 at 19:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Jdavis

The daily PR release from the weight change industry to keep obesity labeled a disease and use your tax money and insurance money for misguided vanity. What a load of bs.

January 17, 2012 at 19:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. David Crandall

Like Jennifer Hudson says: "consistancey is the key". Meaning it is a constant, daily effort to fight back against evil temptations of a sedentry lifestyle and of consuming bad foods.

January 17, 2012 at 19:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Atticus T

I am not one to post but I have been obese for years and tried every program out there. What I have learned in my journey is, the only weight loss program that works is the program that you are willing to follow. All diets work as long as you follow them. Recently I tried a weight loss program that works for me. Their program taught me about nutrition and exercise and provided me with a system that works. My BMI is currently below 27 and I hope to be classified as normal soon. check them out http://www.hummingbirdweightloss.com

January 17, 2012 at 19:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Kevin Maize

Atticus, I have also tried many programs, but I get discouraged easily and get off the wagon. Yes, theres tons of diets out there with point systems, pills, etc... but its the inner drive to stay on one is what gets me. I wish my BMI were below 27. please send me an email... I would like to keep in touch with you. Best regards.

January 17, 2012 at 19:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. BobInCal

I actually did some research on this based on prices at my local Safeway. Try selecting one of these for your protein.
    Pork
    Chicken Breasts
    Ground Beef
    Red snapper
    Salmon
    Tuna
    Round steak

At an average of $.38 per ounce 6 ounces would be $2.30.
    Add in 2 of these at an average of $.12 per ounce 6 ounces would be $.72
    Broccoli
    Potatoes
    Rice
    Green Beans
    Carrots
    Asparagus
    Cauliflower

Add in a salad of romaine hearts and cherry tomatoes plus a dab of low fat dressing would be $.99
    So for $4.10 you have a nice dinner.

January 17, 2012 at 19:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. James

We're a nation of fat slobs. Look at all the fat porkies waddling around in any city. Solution? Takes willpower to get off the couch and exercise. Most won't bother, pass the potato chips instead please.

January 17, 2012 at 19:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. David, CA

But people are a HELL of a lot dumber. Thanks GOP and Fox news! "Mishun Akomplished"

January 17, 2012 at 20:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Nick

I'm tired of everyone saying,"I'm not obese you just don't know how to measure my body fat". Here's a hint: If you sit around all day in front of a computer, drive home, then sit on the coach the rest of the night you aren't going to have that ahtletic ripped body that throws off the BMI. You won't even get that by going to the gym and exclusively benching and curling weights. Eat better, exercise, and inform yourself.

January 17, 2012 at 22:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. The dude

Read the book "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman – it will change your life – take the lessons and get fit – BMI (which is a BS measure) or not, there is a huge problem in this country – just look around you. When I travel to the Midwest or South (I live in Colorado) it blows my mind to see how large most people are – but what do you expect to happen when our food system is controlled by capitalistic companies that want to maximize profit? And good, affordable fresh produce isn't available to a lot of people (need more demand to drive prices down) – it is pretty disgusting that it costs me more to buy a pound of organic frozen veggies than the cost of a burrito at Taco Bell

January 18, 2012 at 09:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Geoffrey Hamilton

Not at all surprised, my 30 year old wife with 2 kids is in better shape than this years batch of college kids... what's your excuse?

January 18, 2012 at 10:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Compass

Just gotta put in some hard work.
    I was overweight on the BMI scale for years and I definitely had belly. A few months ago, for "some stupid reason" I just decided to get on the treadmill and start walking for an hour. A week ago, I passed into the normal range for BMI, feel great, and want to keep going. Down 20 lbs from my heaviest without changing what I eat, just how I eat, and adding in simple exercise instead of video games.

January 18, 2012 at 11:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Carly Thurman

It is unfortunate that we have not seen a decrease in obesity rates, given all of the obesity campaigns over the last few years. It makes me wonder, have they really helped? Maybe there is more awareness, but are people really making a change? At what point to we begin forcing changes that will help implement weight loss. Are we too far ahead of ourselves to take a step back and bring America's lifestyle to a healthier state? I am currently working towards my dietetic degree, but a drastic change is going to take the entire nation and not individuals trying to make a difference.

January 18, 2012 at 12:14 | Report abuse | Reply