home
RSS
Tri Challenge: God threw in a triathlon
January 11th, 2012

Tri Challenge: God threw in a triathlon

Every day this week, CNN will introduce you to one member of the 2012 Fit Nation Triathlon Challenge team. Today meet Glenn Keller, a truck driver and pastor who says he's tired of telling other people to be their best self and not practicing what he preaches.

I knew I needed a change, I just didn't know how I was going to accomplish it. Then I found out about the Tri Challenge and something about seeing what others were able to accomplish motivated me to send in my video. I think I got it in four hours before the deadline.

I was on my way back to Texas from Boston and didn't have a webcam. I was in Gaston, Alabama and knew I could not make it home in time. I pulled off the interstate, went into a Walmart and bought what I figured would be my last bucket of chicken wings and a webcam. I sat there in the seat of the truck and just tried to speak from my heart.

As I've heard it said so many other times, "the rest is history."

I feel a lot like someone who asked God for an Oak Tree and instead He gave them an acorn. I had been asking God for good health and fitness and He gave me CNN, Dr. Gupta, and because God has such a good sense of humor He threw in a Triathlon for good measure.

For all of us who have gotten acorns in our lives,  whether or not we ever see the Oak Tree has everything to do with what we do with the acorn. Whether or not I see the good health that I have desired or longed for depends on what I do with this great gift that God has provided.

As I embark on this journey to good health, I can't help but wonder what others have been asking God for, and what He has given them that doesn't look anything like they expected - not realizing that if we do the right thing with what He has given us, it will yield more than we could have ever imagined.

I know He gave me another chance.  I had to ask myself what was I going to do with it.

If someone were to blindfold me and ask me to hit a target, I would have to ask if they were crazy.  How did they expect me to hit a target I couldn't see?  I feel like their next question would be: How could I expect to hit one I don't even have? I needed a target or goal and now I have one.

I believe Helen Keller was asked, "What would be worse than not having sight?" And I believe her reply was "having sight and not having vision." I am so thankful and plan to work as hard as I can to achieve my goal of having good health.

1. szahn34

Good luck to you Glenn. Embrace the journey. You will be amazed what you will be able to accomplish in the next 6 months. Can't wait to race with you in Malibu. If your travels send you up to the Green Bay area please let me know. Me and my fellow teammates from the 2011 will be watching your adventure. Your Tri will be nothing compared to Jesus': Carrying the Cross, Dying for our sins and Rising again.

January 11, 2012 at 12:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Glenn

I appreciate that so much and if I get up that way I will let you know and thanks for the words of encouragement

January 11, 2012 at 13:48 | Report abuse |
  2. ninalovel

Glenn, the good health and fitness you are about to acquire will be YOUR gifts to embrace, but your experience is also going to inspire countless thousands of others people, most likely saving many lives. I still get choked up when someone comes up to me and says, "You inspired me (to start walking, running, swimming, eating healthy, etc.), and it still happens often. The stories vary but the theme is the same: people all over the world followed our CNN Six Pack's journey, and they decided if we could do it, so could they! We changed many lives besides our own. It is a tremendous responsibility but oh so rewarding. I will drop by your kickoff weekend in Atlanta and look forward to meeting you!

January 11, 2012 at 21:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Glenn

Thank you and please do drop by I look forward to meeting you!!!

January 11, 2012 at 22:19 | Report abuse |
  3. arheaton

Glenn, I am sitting here reading your blog post and thinking that I was the exact same way last June. I wanted to be in shape and in good health, I even prayed for it, but I never left the couch even though I had PLENTY of opportunities to do so! I saw a picture of myself from my birthday and that was the spark of motivation I needed to get started. God has given me the strength to keep going, even when I don't feel like going to the gym or for a walk. I've lost 20 pounds but I that is only the beginning. I'm excited to see where your journey leads you and I know your blog will also encourage me to continue my journey!

January 12, 2012 at 12:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Rick Morris

Glenn, this is going to be a powerful endeavor that will reward not only us, but plenty of others around the world. I'm proud to call you my team mate and look forward to meeting you in Atlanta in a few weeks. If you ever take I-40 through western NC, let me know and we'll meet up for lunch or dinner at one of the local truck stops (Exit 37 and another one a few miles down the road towards Tennessee). Drive safe.

January 13, 2012 at 14:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Glenn

I so look forward to that Rick. I even heard from your trainer. He seems awesome and I look forward to meeting you for lunch.

January 15, 2012 at 08:24 | Report abuse |
  5. Denise

You go Glenn!! Great story , I will be rooting for you and the rest of the team along the way.

January 14, 2012 at 15:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. freedom4bell

Glenn, I commend you for graduating from trialthon to doalthon! I'm sure your journey will provide much inspiration for many other people as well. My congrats to the "Lucky 7" and I wish all of you much success in reaching the goals of your choice.

January 14, 2012 at 16:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Peter F

Congrats on making the team. I am looking forward to your posts so keep them coming

January 14, 2012 at 22:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. 推薦行動電源

Thanks once more for the post publish.Truly looking forward to read more. Want much more. 推薦行動電源 http://www.powerbankfresh.com

June 24, 2013 at 18:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. sdorttuii plmnr

A powerful share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing just a little evaluation on this. And he the truth is purchased me breakfast as a result of I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If doable, as you turn out to be experience, would you thoughts updating your blog with extra details? It is extremely useful for me. Large thumb up for this weblog submit!

August 10, 2015 at 02:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. frolep rotrem

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what all is required to get setup? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very web smart so I'm not 100 positive. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

February 6, 2021 at 12:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. zortilonrel

I've been browsing online greater than three hours today, but I by no means discovered any fascinating article like yours. It?¦s lovely price enough for me. In my view, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you probably did, the internet will probably be much more helpful than ever before.

February 7, 2021 at 11:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. https://europa-road.eu/hu/gepszallitas.php

you are actually a good webmaster. The site loading speed is amazing. It seems that you are doing any distinctive trick. In addition, The contents are masterpiece. you've performed a fantastic job on this subject!

February 9, 2021 at 04:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. vreyrolinomit

You should take part in a contest for top-of-the-line blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!

February 26, 2021 at 05:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. ClarkTauts

epuoo ls5wm ery2

February 28, 2021 at 16:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. ClarkTauts

sdj07 r5esi gubj

February 28, 2021 at 23:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. zortilo nrel

Hey very cool web site!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I'll bookmark your website and take the feeds also…I'm happy to find a lot of useful information here in the post, we need develop more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

March 21, 2021 at 14:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. storno brzinol

I just wanted to jot down a simple word in order to say thanks to you for those marvelous instructions you are placing on this website. My extensive internet investigation has now been compensated with good quality facts and strategies to share with my family and friends. I 'd assume that most of us readers are very fortunate to exist in a magnificent place with many lovely individuals with beneficial suggestions. I feel extremely fortunate to have used your weblog and look forward to so many more excellent minutes reading here. Thanks once again for all the details.

May 13, 2021 at 10:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. mu vs chelsea

Trực Tiếp Bóng Đá Hôm Nay, Liên Kết Coi Trực Tuyến Video Clip Tình HuốngmythethaoTrên băng ghế huấn luyện, Lebanon đã bửa nhiệm Ramiro Lopez cơ hội đây 3 tuần. Nhà cầm cố quân người Tây Ban Nha chủ yếu làm việc tại Ý và từng có thời hạn làm việc trên Kuwait.|Và NHM bóng đá Việt Nam đang chờ Minh Trí cùng đồng đội hóa giải đối thủ để tạo lợi thế đến trận lượt về sau đây hai ngày. Chelsea đã cần trải qua 8 phút bù giờ không thở được đảm bảo thành công.

June 11, 2021 at 20:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. 1bet88

Thẳng Bóng Đá Thời Điểm Hôm Nay, Links Coi Soccer Trực Tuyến 24hanngubongdaTheo thể thức thi đấu, đội thắng ở cặp đấu này sẽ giành tấm vé đến Lithuania vào ngày hội bóng đá lớn nhất thế giới cho futsal. Tuyển futsal Việt Nam bước vào trận play-off lượt đi tranh vé dự play-off World Cup 2021 với sự tự tin. Tuy vậy, HLV Phạm Minh Giang bày tỏ, toàn đội ko ngán Lebanon tuy nhiên sẽ tìm cách để khắc chế sức mạnh của đối thủ bởi trên băng ghế huấn luyện là nhà cầm quân Ramiro Lopez, người từng dẫn dắt futsal Tây Ban Nha.|Dựa vào lịch tranh tài, bạn rất có thể chuẩn bị xếp công việc

June 14, 2021 at 02:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. webgame 3d moi nhat

Coi Thông Tin Thể Thao đá Bóng 24h Vào Năm 2019thien dia comLiverpool là đội bóng nhận ít thẻ nhất ở Premier League mùa này và đang được đứng trước thời cơ giành giải thưởng Fair Play ở mùa giải thứ 5 tiếp tục. Sau lúc thăng hạng 96 thế giới, đội tuyển nước ta đã lọt nhóm hạt giống số 2 vòng chủng loại World Cup 2022 khu vực vực châu Á.

June 18, 2021 at 16:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. truc tiep bong da hôm nay u22

Thẳng đá Bóng Thời Điểm Hôm Nayvao roi tvNếu cứ đùa như cơ hội vừa đè bẹp Everton cho tới 3-1 trên Sảnh quý khách hàng

June 19, 2021 at 09:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. ku casino đăng nhập

Tin Mới Nhất Nhất đá Bóng Vào Vòng 24h, Chuyển Nhượng, Kết Quả, ..tro choi xo soLiverpool là ĐộI bóng nhận ít thẻ nhất ở Premier League mùa này và đang được đứng trước thời cơ giành giải thưởng Fair Play ở mùa giải loại 5 liên tiếp. Sau Khi thăng hạng 96 trái đất, đội tuyển nước ta đã lọt nhóm hạt giống số 2 vòng chủng loại World Cup 2022 quần thể vực châu Á.

June 23, 2021 at 16:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Kitsap Daily News

I loved your article post.Thanks Again. Really Cool.

June 30, 2021 at 06:10 | Report abuse | Reply