home
RSS
What the Yuck: How do celebs drop the weight?
Mariah Carey dropped 30 pounds in three months after the birth of her twins.
December 11th, 2011

What the Yuck: How do celebs drop the weight?

Q: How do celebrities have babies and then appear in their skinny jeans again four weeks later?

Well, we have to be honest here - most of the celebrities you're thinking of (Gisele, Angelina Jolie, Halle Berry, and Heidi Klum come to mind) were pretty skinny and in great shape before their pregnancies. And most continued to work out regularly during those nine months.

So if they are genetically blessed and have a healthy routine in place, chances are they're going to have an easier time than most dropping the baby weight.

With all that, you can see why they have a bit of an advantage over us mere mortals.

Remember, many of these women feel that their multi-million-dollar careers depend on them always looking their best, and if that means losing the weight ASAP, they do it. That's fine as long as women don't try to prevent pregnancy weight gain by severely restricting calories and working out obsessively while expecting, since that can be harmful for the baby.

In the real world, six months is a more realistic goal for getting your body (almost) back. If it takes a little longer than that, that's perfectly fine.

You're probably not stripping off your clothes for a love scene with George Clooney anytime soon, so there's no need to rush it. Enjoy your baby, and ease back into a healthy routine. The skinny jeans will come.

Copyright Health Magazine 2011

1. backlinks

This surely makes perfect sense!!!

December 11, 2011 at 17:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. JeffinIL

By providing essentially no reasons at all in the article, one might get the idea that it's due to magic. I suspect either Samantha Stevens or Jeannie Nelson.

December 12, 2011 at 07:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Amanda

The reasons are right there:

"Keep in mind that these famous moms can afford daily sessions with personal trainers, live-in chefs whipping up healthy spa cuisine for every meal, home gyms that could rival any sports club, and 'round the clock childcare help so they can sleep and exercise when they want."

December 12, 2011 at 07:32 | Report abuse |
    • E

Did you bother reading the article? There was a whole paragraph explaining it, were you hoping it was some crash diet adn cleanse instead of careful eating and personal trainers?

December 13, 2011 at 21:22 | Report abuse |
  3. SAM

What terrible reporting. "How do celebrities drop the weight?". There's not a single mention of the how and only the why's.

December 12, 2011 at 08:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Leo

Uh, they DID mention the "how." With a lot of exercise, personal chefs who create healthy meals, personal trainers, and already having been slender and fit BEFORE they got pregnant. Did you read?

December 12, 2011 at 10:01 | Report abuse |
    • cara

not bad reporting. just misleading, attention grabbing headline. the article is factual.

December 13, 2011 at 17:33 | Report abuse |
  4. stravis2

I concur – terrible reporting. I was expecting a 1-5 list or something – not an article about how wealthy they are and have every convenience at their fingertips to help them lose weight.

December 12, 2011 at 08:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ally

Here, I'll put numbers in front of the reasons spelled out in the article:
      1. Be healthy and in-shape before getting pregnant.
      2. Continue to work out regularly while pregnant.
      3. Increase intensity of daily workouts after the baby is born.
      4. Eat healthy, well-balanced meals.
      5. Get plenty of sleep.

The point of discussing their wealth was that it's easier for them than the average mom to do 1-5.

December 12, 2011 at 13:48 | Report abuse |
  5. Catherine

I am most definitely not a celeb, but I just had a baby 8 weeks ago. I'm lucky - I live close to my parents and have a great husband. That means I can eat reasonably. My baby is a good sleeper (again luck). I was in decent shape before I got pregnant and continued hiking until around 37 weeks. I was back to pre-preg weight in about 4 weeks and I'm losing about half a pound a week now (want to lose 10 lbs I gained while finishing my PhD just before I got pregnant). Celebs do buy new clothes which is great to highlight their new shapes. I think the article is accurate or it at least reflects my experience.

December 12, 2011 at 09:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MesaMom

You are lucky and I had a similar experience with my first child. It's the second one that was a lot harder to lose the weight from.

December 12, 2011 at 09:59 | Report abuse |
    • Jenp

It's so easy to lose weight from the first child. I was down to 105 lbs within a month with no effort. After my 3rd however, that's a different story. I'm down to 135 lbs now but it's much more difficult to lose weight.

December 12, 2011 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
  6. Kris

I thought this article was great and very supportive of new mothers. Dr. Raj explains that first, these women are already in fantastic shape before the pregnancy, followed by a healthy weight gain during coupled with good nutrition and moderate exercise. Secondly, they then have "help" after the birth; meaning they have the time and energy to devote to working out and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. If his subtle hints didn't clue you in I will; be a healthy weight before, healthy weight during (meaning you ask your doctor what a this number would be, but I believe OBGYNs do not recommend gaining more than 20 pounds), and quickly-very quickly begin a healthy eating regimen and then fitness regimen when you have been given the all clear from your doctor. There is no "magic" secret...and to complain about Dr.Raj leaving out "tips" is absurd..but come on people, you know this.

December 12, 2011 at 09:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. theybetrippenyo

I lost all my pregnancy weight 2 weeks after the fact. But I had a catch. A.) I am super overweight so I didn't actually gain anything much during my pregnancy (10 pounds total... which boggled my docs... Had a lovely healthy 8 lb girl too!) and B.) I had a pulmonary embolism (Caused by my uterus getting to large). When recovering from one of those, the last thing on your mind is eating. I wound up loosing about 30 pounds total throughout the ordeal.

The best advice I can give is if you have even just a little meat on your bones (20-30 pounds extra or so) Don't over eat during pregnancy! You just eat what you normally would before, and keep your binging in check (becuase that's what allot of pregnant women do... they binge) also light cardio! Light cardio including Jogging, bike riding (if your doc clears it) or anything that makes you breath a little heavy is a godsend in the delivery room. XD. GOOD LUCK

December 12, 2011 at 10:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • theybetrippenyo

And as a note, at no point in my pregnancy did I suffer from Ketosis.

December 12, 2011 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
    • Jenp

I've noticed my overweight friends who became pregnant seemed to barely gain any noticeable weight (15 lbs). I was naturally underweight when I became pregnant and the hunger pains were almost debilitating. I was absolutely ravenous and would drink a gallon of milk a day (eat food with it every time). All I could think about was food and had trouble working and would wake up in the middle of the night hungry. I ended up gaining about 45 lbs and my baby didn't even weigh 7 lbs but was healthy.

December 12, 2011 at 10:30 | Report abuse |
    • Emmaleah

I wasn't hugely overweight, but I was heavy—you know, the kind of big girl curvy thing. I weighed less going in to have my baby than I had when I conceived, but I had an amazing pregnancy and tons of energy. All I wanted to eat was seasonal fruits, dark greens, beef, and plain rice. My Dr said to listen to my body. I wasn't stressed by school, my priorities changed, no more late nights, no junk food, no taking crap from anyone. I started exercising because I wasn't embarrassed by being fat at the gym—I was preggo, tough luck, haters. No wonder the weight came off.

December 12, 2011 at 23:44 | Report abuse |
  8. truth

give me a break! it's call plastic surgery! there's outpatient procedures which leaves little to no scars! you're in and out of the office within hours. continue your normal daily routine and the fat will just disappear in a few weeks. it's call smartlipo! the fat burn is permanent!!!

December 12, 2011 at 10:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hayley

Exactly! Plus they have the time and money for expensive personal trainers.

December 13, 2011 at 23:08 | Report abuse |
  9. Charles Gilman

In other words, you have no idea. Ok, thanks.

December 12, 2011 at 10:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • E

It said right in there, exercise and diet, which is easier for celebrities to focus on.

December 13, 2011 at 21:26 | Report abuse |
  10. Women Seeks Men

How I wish I could also do dropping my pounds after giving birth. But before that, I guess I need to find my ideal babymaker first...LOL

December 12, 2011 at 11:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. V-man

1. Walk to bathroom. 2. Stick finger down throat. 3. Talk to the toilet. 4. Take the walk on the red-carpet. 5. Repeat 6 months later.

December 12, 2011 at 13:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Phyllis

Went from 160 to 300 lbs with my first (infertility treatments and overeating) and was pregnant within my second wthin 3 mos. Don't remember how long it took – under one year – got back down to 135lbs. No secret.....just healthy food choices and exercise. I joined a gym and went at night when the kids were asleep. Started by walking on the treadmill for 30 mins and then went home. slowly I increased by workout.

December 12, 2011 at 16:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kade

it is very important to eat heilthaly, as it is for your own health and eventually the health of your baby. you need to get all the essential nutrients, and this is not possible from a diet high in junk food. once pregnant you will feel lethargic etc, and this is because the growing baby takes all the best parts of your ingested vitamins, minerals etc, for itself, leaving you with not much, so you need to make sure you eat enough for both of you. your diet now will affect your menstrual cycle. also the diet affects the health of your body tissues. if you have a bad duet your tissues will be in poor health, so your uterus will not be in the optimum state for implantation of the foetus to take place. good luck!

March 6, 2012 at 00:50 | Report abuse |
  13. Jim P.

it's easy, you just need a full time personal trainer, a private physician (if you are smart) and a personal chef.

No problem at all if you have a few hundred thousand a year extra lying around. (You get to write most of it off as professional excpenses on top off things..)

December 12, 2011 at 16:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hayley

Wow, I didn't know they could write that off on their taxes. That's some bs.

December 13, 2011 at 23:09 | Report abuse |
  14. Ally

To be fair, I think another main reason they drop pounds so quickly is because their job depends on it. Our service men and women also have a requirement to remain fit or face losing their jobs. Except they don't have the money in most cases to hire personal trainers and personal chefs.

December 12, 2011 at 19:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Zelsweet

What i don't understood is if truth be told how you're now not acautlly much more neatly-appreciated than you may be now. You are so intelligent. You understand thus considerably relating to this matter, produced me for my part consider it from so many numerous angles. Its like men and women don't seem to be fascinated except it is one thing to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your personal stuffs great. All the time take care of it up!

March 4, 2012 at 05:48 | Report abuse |
  15. minavaan

It took me only 2 weeks to be back at my normal 125 lbs ( I'm 5'7") after my 1st baby 26yrs ago. I'm 55 now and still in great shape @132lbs. I look at these young mothers at work and they are huge even a year after giving birth. What's going on? I guess if you keep sitting in your SUV and taking drive-thru trips to McDonald's you'll never lose the weight.
    I was out pushing my stroller @7 am every morning, and I didn't have to diet. Eat healthy!

December 12, 2011 at 20:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Tim

This article is hilarious. Here's the gist:

Q: "Why do celebrities drop weight faster after pregnancy?"

A: "Because they're better than you; and we're not going to share their secrets."

Who wrote this? Someone soon to be unemployed I hope.

December 12, 2011 at 20:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ally

Tim, you didn't see the 5 reasons they lose weight in the article? It's all there.

1. Be healthy and in-shape before getting pregnant.
      2. Continue to work out regularly while pregnant.
      3. Increase intensity of daily workouts after the baby is born.
      4. Eat healthy, well-balanced meals.
      5. Get plenty of sleep.

December 13, 2011 at 12:48 | Report abuse |
    • j

Tim,
      Dr. Raj listed the reasons. Don't blame her if you are not the sharpest tool in the shed

December 13, 2011 at 13:47 | Report abuse |
    • E

Did you just skip the part where it talked about personal trainers and in home chefs serving healthy meals? Do you not comprehend that exercise and diet effect your weight?

December 13, 2011 at 21:28 | Report abuse |
  17. ana

For us mortals :), I don't think that we should give up if we don't have the support celebrities have. I lost all the baby weight in a month without exercise or diet, I was breast feeding since it uses up to 800 cal/day. I did it with my both kids, no problem with weight after the babies were born. I hope women won't give up on losing weight after the baby is born because they don't have things celebrities have. We can do it too.

December 12, 2011 at 21:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. A MIND IS A BEAUTIFUL THING TO WASTE

GENETICS ARE A KEY FACTOR IN A PERSONS ABILITY TO LOSE WEIGHT ALONG WITH MEDICAL ADVICE & PROPER EATING & EXERCISE!

December 12, 2011 at 23:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Michael DeKeyser

And don't forget Human Growth Hormone. It's Hollywood's dirty little secret, and I'm no longer surprised that the media never mentions this.

December 13, 2011 at 03:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. dee dee

A lot of them had already been nipped, tucked & liposucked before they got pregnant and then again after. All the stuff mentioned in the article helps as does the surgery & drugs they also have available to them as well as money for a new wardrobe that makes them look good and we have to remember many of the photos of celebs we see are in fact retouched. Give me the right clothes, hair, make up, stylist and some Photo Shop and I bet I'd look a lot thinner too LOL!

Part of the arguement falls down, celebs have advantages for sure but are not necessarily better motivated to get back into shape than the average woman. In fact, celebs can afford to take more time off from work after baby to get fit, not just the usual maternity leave most of us get before we need that paycheck again. If you think someone like a Mariah Carey or Beyonce lives paycheck to paycheck, think again LOL! If you think Meryl Streep would have never worked again if she had not gotten that baby weight off, think again. Oprah gets fat-thin-fat-thin & is now real fat..... and it doesn't seem to have hurt her career. Fashion models may be under more pressure as a certain body type is a job requirement, but many actors do gain weight w/ babies or aging & keep on working as looks and talent are not the same thing. Many many celebs also want to brag that they got back into shape so fast just like they brag (lie) that they have not had any cosmetic work done & that's all their own natural color & length hair , boobs, teeth and so on. Many women want to recover that body fast for personal satisfaction and wanting to look good to get a career edge is true of many professions, not just actors.

December 13, 2011 at 05:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. t3chsupport

All of the people 'they didn't actually tell us how!'
    Read the article. It tells you exactly how they do it.

December 13, 2011 at 12:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Elli

I think the article was really written to enforce to the average woman that she does not have to feel bad about herself if she does not get back to a size zero after delivery, and that actresses do it with ways most of us do not have access to. That is what I got out of this article after reading the last couple of paragraphs. Think a little people!

December 13, 2011 at 12:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. hoobie

How did my wife lose the weight? Told her right away it was time to jump back in the saddle, baby. Worked for her, worked for me too.

December 13, 2011 at 12:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. sherie

This article reinforced what I already was aware of:
    1. Celebrities have lots of help .No wonder they are able to avoid the erratic schedule of a new mom. Anyone can do it if they have a similar amount of help to go back to their pre pregnancy routine.But that is not practically possible.New moms are so busy taking care of the baby that they often end up making poor nutritional choices.

2.Celebrities NEED to get back in shape.Their career depends on it.

December 13, 2011 at 13:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Tina

This article is indeed a bit ridiculous. We knew all of this already. Except they left out the plastic surgery factoids.

December 13, 2011 at 16:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. mr grumpy

I love the headline: "How do celebs drop weight quick?" Nice grammar. It's "quickly". Try learning what adverbs are you uneducated poor excuse of a journalist.

December 13, 2011 at 18:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. garc

You can lose weight in 4 weeks–sure. The stretched out thing in the belly, though, is not fixable by exercise or personal chefs in 4 weeks, period. That's only fixable by the plastic surgeon and the body double on screen/retouching on the magazine cover. And BTW, I'm skinny and have never had children. I just work in the medical field. Besides, isn't this just common sense? Think of the most in-shape recently pregnant woman you know (know WELL, obviously) whose belly you have seen not long after having a kid. She can still pick up a bit of a "pouch." The public is just fooled into thinking these people "magically" bounce back into 100% pre-baby shape. Baloney.

December 13, 2011 at 19:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. NA

Yes, the doctor did go into generalities: they're rich, have help, can relax, don't have a choice for work, but I think most people have an issue with the fact that the doctor didn't go into specifics. For instance, the "spa" meals were mentioned in the article, the doctor could have mentioned what types of meals would be most beneficial, high protein or lots of veggies or etc etc. The doctor mentioned the personal trainer, but could have mentioned types of quick exercises that might be metabolism boosting or something. These generalities don't help, the doctor is basically saying "most people aren't as rich as celebs, so we should just wait it out." Dr. Raj took the easy way out plain and simple.

December 14, 2011 at 00:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. robert downey jr workout

Are you ready for great abs now?" Now is the perfect time to get the abs and trim waistline you have always dreamed of but haven't been able to have. Having sexy abs or a trim waist is one of the best ways to not only turn heads while you are at the beach or pool, but also to feel better about yourself.

December 23, 2011 at 02:50 | Report abuse | Reply