home
RSS
What the Yuck: The baby and Big Foot
November 4th, 2011

What the Yuck: The baby and Big Foot

Q: Why do your feet grow after having a baby?

It’s true - your belly isn’t the only thing expanding during your pregnancy. A pregnant body produces the hormone relaxin, which causes your pelvic ligaments and joints to loosen, and also relaxes the ligaments in your feet, allowing the bones to separate a bit.

This, plus the fact that your increased weight puts more pressure on your foot arches, causing them to fall, makes your feet grow.

On average, you’ll go up half a shoe size. Plus, our feet tend to swell from retained fluids. Any change in size from fluid retention will disappear about a month post-delivery, but your new shoe size is here to stay.

So don’t celebrate getting preggo with a pair of stilettos - they may not fit you in another nine months.

Copyright Health Magazine 2011

1. pixilator

This is a true story. I went from a size 10 to a size 11. I was like, "what is happening to me? Am I being 'super sized' just because I got pregnant?"

November 4, 2011 at 19:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Kristyne

I had a pair of heels that i wore one time right b4 i got pregnant. they were the most comfortable heels i had ever had. was able to dance in them all night long. tried to wear them to go dancing after i had my little munchkin and i couldnt even walk in them for 10 minutes b4 i had to take them off! i was so mad! they were super cute!

November 5, 2011 at 01:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. jillmarie

I'm 8 months pregnant, and this hasn't happened to me. This far along, I wonder if I'm safe from this happening. I'm lucky- no bloating, knock on wood.

November 5, 2011 at 11:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. vicsandy03

Same happened to me! So glad this story has been posted, I thought it only happened to me.

November 5, 2011 at 11:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. sarah S

My feet became swollen but they didn't grow any, thank god.

November 5, 2011 at 21:42 | Report abuse | Reply