home
RSS
Weight loss key is habits, not willpower, says Weight Watchers chief
October 28th, 2011

Weight loss key is habits, not willpower, says Weight Watchers chief

What helped David Kirchhoff, president and CEO of Weight Watchers International, shed 38 pounds, start exercising and eat healthy breakfasts?

Of course, you’d expect a CEO to toot the horn of his company.

He did at TEDMED, a conference about medical innovations and ideas. But he also stressed that the essential factor that shaped his metamorphosis - from an overweight 33-year-old needing Lipitor to a fit man who exercises - was the habits he formed.

Kirchhoff eats a good breakfast every day.

“Is it because I’m disciplined? No, it’s because I do it so many times in a row I can’t remember how to do anything else.”

He exercises six days a week. “It’s not because I’m disciplined. I have such a routine that I can’t imagine not exercising. These are habits - behavior changes that takes a long time for it to take place.”

And the truth is if you’ve been obese and lost the weight, you can’t go back to old eating and sedentary habits after weight loss.

“If you have a weight problem, you will have to watch what you eat. It never goes away. You never can turn it off. Obesity is a chronic condition. That’s OK - as long as we work on it,” he said.

Kirchhoff's weight gain started in college - surrounded by pizza, beer and all-you-can-eat cafeterias. When he entered the workforce, the weight mounted with all the dining out, traveling and eating room service.

“I ate like an idiot. I knew nothing. I thought Kung Pao chicken was good for me, because it had chicken. I was clueless,” said Kirchhoff.

It wasn’t until he was 33 when his doctor suggested he go on Lipitor because of his high blood cholesterol and blood pressure. It prompted him to join Weight Watchers.

The problem today is that it’s entirely too easy to gain weight in what he termed an “obesogenic environment” surrounded by processed foods and more calories.

“The entire health system has no particular incentive to address it until it’s too late,” he said.

So Kirchhoff posed this question:

“What if I was given an incentive to deal with my weight? What if I was given access to tools for weight loss process? What if I was in an environment where it was for it to be easy to make healthy choice? What if the healthy choice was economically advantaged? What if we could create an environment where we could improve our odds of success?”

It can work. Kirchhoff referred to the Cleveland Clinic, which reported that its employee-related health costs are not rising this year - unlike most businesses. The clinic stopped hiring smokers, banned sugary drinks and offered free yoga and gym classes for workers, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer. It also offers its staff free access to Weight Watchers.

1. 2pde1cD2Go

692325 499749I dugg some of you post as I thought they were handy quite valuable 515934

December 10, 2020 at 00:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. B7uGqqoydE

992708 778215of course like your web-site however you need to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. 106736

December 10, 2020 at 00:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Mrs Amanda

I am from united states. I am 36 years old, work as staff in Walmart, i and my Husband has been married for 5 years but recently he started cheating on me which i caught him, this led to our breakup, he left the house to be with the other lady, i tried as much as possible to bring him back because i still loved him but he never came back, after a while i found he told me he had Herpes and asked me to check myself too which i did and i found that i have too, i was frustrated, i start taking various treatment, i read a lot too about this virus then i came across this https://robinbuckler. com which said he can treat herpes with herbal medicine, i contacted him and purchased and he told all to be done and told me how to use his herbs which i did for 2 weeks and i was amazed by the outcome, i was cured. he also did a love spell for me to bring my lover back which took place just in 24 hours, my lover came back and since then he has been so loving and caring, no more lies, no cheating, he also got cured from herpes too, this is awesome, unbelievable.......this is his email address___________________ robinson.buckler @t [yahoo] com.....

December 13, 2020 at 03:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. vreyro linomit

Just wanna remark that you have a very decent site, I enjoy the style and design it actually stands out.

December 23, 2020 at 01:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Cheryle Bosh

Perhaps you should also a put a forum site on your blog to increase reader interaction.”\",;:

January 11, 2021 at 23:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. zortilo nrel

Excellent post however , I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject? I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Many thanks!

January 26, 2021 at 08:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. zortilonrel

Thanks , I have just been looking for information about this subject for ages and yours is the best I have found out so far. However, what concerning the bottom line? Are you sure concerning the supply?

February 6, 2021 at 00:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Buddy Vanvolkinburg

I remember back when I was a kid, there was a famous pizza chain commercial that would end with their jingle, “Call 662-5555” I would sing it all the time… “Call 662-5555” Here I am, 30 years later….I remember that number just like it was yesterday. All you had to do was dial that number, tell them what you wanted then….. BAM Your pizza would show up at your doorstep 30 minutes later It was simple. REALLY simple That’s how simple my new affiliate marketing system is. You simply pick up the phone, order your traffic and… BAM Sales start coming right into your inbox. It’s just that simple. If you can order a pizza, you can start earning commissions with this system. Click this link to learn more https://bit.ly/3aNq5gl

February 9, 2021 at 04:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Europa-Road

I like the helpful information you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly. I'm quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

February 9, 2021 at 05:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. weight books

Paul Getty Zwykle Twierdzil, ze Bezinteresowna przyjazń moze istniec tylko pomiedzy osobami o jednakowych dochodach. I ja sie po niekad z tym zgadzam 🙂 A ty ? https://thefreeweightlossbook.com

thefreeweightlossbook.com

February 15, 2021 at 19:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. sex and the city 2008 online

218367 53252Can I just say what a relief to search out somebody who truly is aware of what theyre speaking about on the internet. You undoubtedly know how to deliver a problem to light and make it crucial. Extra folks need to learn this and perceive this facet of the story. I cant consider youre no more common because you positively have the gift. 100856

February 27, 2021 at 21:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. sexual assault and consentsays:

440304 687326Hello. splendid job. I did not imagine this. This really is a splendid story. Thanks! You made certain fine points there. I did a search on the topic matter and discovered the majority of folks will have exactly the same opinion together with your blog. 790653

March 16, 2021 at 14:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. sex worker outfits

6810 685407Spot on with this write-up, I genuinely suppose this site needs considerably much more consideration. probably be once far more to learn way more, thanks for that information. 358553

March 31, 2021 at 11:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. canadian customs pills vitamins

canadian customs pills vitamins https://canadapillstorex.com/ canadian customs pills vitamins

April 12, 2021 at 07:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. vardenafil 20 mg

non-prescriptoin vardenafil https://vegavardenafil.com/ generic vardenafil 20mg india

April 14, 2021 at 21:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. 먹튀검증사이트

872192 622839Straight towards the point and effectively written! Why cant everyone else be like this? 138904

April 16, 2021 at 18:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. alprostadil injection reviews

c-alprostadil https://alprostadildrugs.com/ alprostadil use after heart surgery

April 17, 2021 at 00:53 | Report abuse | Reply