home
RSS
October 18th, 2011

No proven IVF-cancer link, doctors say

E! News anchor Giuliana Rancic's efforts to conceive have been the main theme of her reality show "Giuliana and Bill." On Monday she revealed she has to postpone her next round of IVF after her new fertility expert insisted she get screened for breast cancer, even though she is only 36 years old.

Rancic said, on the Today Show,  that her doctor told her "I don't care if you're 26, 36. I won't get you pregnant if there is a small risk you have cancer. If you get pregnant it can accelerate the cancer. The hormones accelerate the cancer."

Her doctor may have been taking the step as a precaution.

"There’s no evidence for a link between breast cancer and infertility treatment," says Dr. Eric Widra, who chairs the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology. A 2005 study looked at a possibility but the study authors concluded a link to breast or ovarian cancer had not been found.

Dr. George Sledge, co-director of breast cancer treatment at Indiana University’s Simon Cancer Center, says there are no good data to show that IVF accelerates breast cancer. "Not having a child and infertility in itself increases the risk for breast cancer," he says. Sledge isn’t familiar with Rancic’s medical history, but he says the younger you are when you have your first child, the less likely you are to have breast cancer.

"Breast cancer at 36 is rare, and it’s fortunate for her that it was detected early," says Widra, a physician at Shady Grove Fertility in Washington, D.C.  However, he doesn't agree with Rancic's doctor that women in their 20s or 30s should get a mammogram before starting IVF. The American Society for Reproductive Medicine recommends the same guidelines as the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, he says:  Begin screening at the age of 40, unless there’s family history.

But it appears things can vary from clinic to clinic. Dr. Andrew Toledo, a fertility specialist at Reproductive Biology Associates in Atlanta, says in his clinic, "We want a baseline mammogram [for our patients] between 35 and 40, unless they have a family history."

Rancic had previously undergone two rounds of IVF. The second did result in a pregnancy, which ended in a miscarriage. She says she plans to try to get pregnant again after having surgery this week and undergoing six weeks of radiation treatment.

Sledge, who is the past president of the American Society of Clinical Oncologists, says the use of estrogen in general in women who’ve had breast cancer makes doctors nervous because some cancers are fueled by hormones.

But Widra says women who have successfully completed their cancer treatment can try to get pregnant again, typically five years after they have been disease-free. Widra, who is not familiar with Rancic’s specific case, points out that even after surgery and radiation, breast cancer patients may need to undergo even more treatments, like taking the drug tamoxifen, which can reduce the risk of breast cancer coming back by blocking the activity of estrogen in the breast if the breast cancer is fueled by estrogen – not all cancers are.

When a woman tries to get pregnant after undergoing breast cancer, her  treatment needs to be individualized, says Dr. Mitch Rosen, director of the  Fertility Preservation Center at the University of California-San Francisco. He says he sees many patients facing this question and he says it’s incredibly important that women receive good counseling. “It depends on your cancer, your age, what kind of cancer you have,” he says. If a woman has the type of tumor that is fueled by estrogen, tamoxifen (or other hormone-disrupting drugs) need to be taken for five years.

If a cancer patient is 22, Rosen says he would recommend she wait the full five years before trying to get pregnant. If she’s 38, for example, getting pregnant gets harder with age – then,  he says, he would probably recommend taking the hormone-blocking medication for tw0 years, taking a break to get pregnant, and then resuming the drug for three more years.

If a patient has a type of cancer that is not dependent on hormones to grow, then surgery and radiation are usually followed by chemotherapy to kill any lingering cancer cells.

In those cases, Rosen says he recommends that his patients wait at least six months, better a whole year, before trying IVF again, just to reduce the possibility of birth defects caused by the cancer treatment.

Patients need to talk to their doctor and be made aware of the risks and options, so they can be comfortable with their decision on when and whether they should undergo IVF again.

1. buy n95 masks

It's good to find come across a post like this, that shows the writer has common sense! You certainly made me think! Thank You-I wouldn't have seen things from your p.o.v otherwise. I have to share this...

December 12, 2020 at 20:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. 예스벳88

Best view i have ever seen !

December 14, 2020 at 04:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. 예스벳88

Best view i have ever seen !

December 14, 2020 at 07:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. cazneaux.jeanette@yahoo.com

Hello

YOU NEED HELP FOR SEO LINK BUILDING?

I just checked out your website cnn.com, and wanted to find out if you need help for SEO Link Building ?

We offer you the BEST SEO STRATEGY for 2021, my name is Jeanette, and I'm a SEO Specialist.

Build unlimited number of Backlinks and increase Traffic to your websites which will lead to a higher number of customers and much more sales for you.

If You Are Interested, I'm waiting for your response here => https://bit.ly/32uQKuH

Thanks,
    SEO Specialist

December 15, 2020 at 07:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Andreas Cherenfant

I like this post, enjoyed this one thankyou for posting .

December 19, 2020 at 08:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Sherrill Agerter

Hi would you mind stating which blog platform you're working with? I'm going to start my own blog soon but I'm having a difficult time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something unique. P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

December 21, 2020 at 20:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Tory Sponholz

Hmm it appears like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any points for newbie blog writers? I'd certainly appreciate it.

December 25, 2020 at 13:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. zortilo nrel

I appreciate, cause I found just what I was looking for. You have ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

December 28, 2020 at 06:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jacques Goen

I view something really special in this web site.

December 30, 2020 at 17:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. zortilo nrel

I keep listening to the news talk about receiving boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the most excellent site to get one. Could you advise me please, where could i get some?

December 31, 2020 at 16:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Angel Nicole

Hi. I have a blog which i installed wordpress. So far so good. Except that wordpress stats shows me the visits and i want it to show how many visitors visited my blog. Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot..

December 31, 2020 at 16:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. epifania.morehouse@gmail.com

Hello

YOU NEED QUALITY VISITORS FOR YOUR: cnn.com

WE PROVIDE ORGANIC VISITORS BY KEYWORD FROM SEARCH ENGINES OR SOCIAL MEDIA

YOU GET HIGH-QUALITY VISITORS
    – visitors from search engines
    – visitors from social media
    – visitors from any country you want

CLAIM YOUR 24 HOURS FREE TEST => https://bit.ly/2HQZggh

Thanks, Epifania Morehouse
    If you no longer wish to hear from us, please reply this email.

January 7, 2021 at 09:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. zortilonrel

I genuinely enjoy studying on this website, it has got superb blog posts. "Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war you obtain a master." by Demosthenes.

January 8, 2021 at 06:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. face masks

You put forward some solid statements.

January 9, 2021 at 05:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Virgil Crapps

As a Newbie, I am always browsing online for articles that can be of assistance to me. Thank you

January 10, 2021 at 14:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. buy face mask

That's certainly informative. May I ask one or two questions? It's just that..I know extra ideas that fit this.

January 14, 2021 at 09:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. zortilo nrel

Hi there, simply become alert to your blog via Google, and located that it is truly informative. I am going to be careful for brussels. I’ll be grateful in case you continue this in future. Numerous other people will likely be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

January 14, 2021 at 14:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Steph B

What's up?

I found this article very interesting...please read!

Do you remember the blockbuster hit film The Matrix that was released in 1999? You may not know this, but it has deep spiritual implications concerning the times we are living in and Bible prophecy.

It tells a story of how these "agents" are trying to turn us into machines. We are closer then ever before for this to become a reality when they cause us to receive an implantable microchip in our body during a time when physical money will be no more.

You may have seen on NBC news concerning the implantable RFID microchip that some people are getting put in their hand to make purchases, but did you know this microchip matches perfectly with prophecy in the Bible?

"He (the false prophet who deceives many by his miracles) causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name...

You also may have heard of the legendary number "666" that people have been speculating for possibly thousands of years on what it actually means. This article shares something I haven't seen before, and I don't think there could be any better explanation for what it means to calculate 666. This is no hoax. Very fascinating stuff!

...Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666" (Revelation 13:16-18 NKJV).

To see all the details showing why the Bible foretold of all these things, check out this article!

Article: https://biblewoke.com/rfid-mark-of-the-beast-666-revealed

GOD is sending out His end time warning:

"Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, 'If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name'" (Revelation 14:9-11).

In the Islamic religion they have man called the Mahdi who is known as their messiah of whom they are waiting to take the stage. There are many testimonies from people online who believe this man will be Barack Obama who is to be the biblical Antichrist based off dreams they have received. I myself have had strange dreams about him like no other person. So much so that I decided to share this information.

He came on stage claiming to be a Christian with no affiliation to the Muslim faith...

"In our lives, Michelle and I have been strengthened by our Christian faith. But there have been times where my faith has been questioned - by people who don't know me - or they've said that I adhere to a different religion, as if that were somehow a bad thing," – Barack Obama

...but was later revealed by his own family members that he indeed is a devout Muslim.

So what's in the name? The meaning of someones name can say a lot about a person. God throughout history has given names to people that have a specific meaning tied to their lives. How about the name Barack Obama? Let us take a look at what may be hiding beneath the surface...

"And He (Jesus) said to them (His disciples), 'I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven'" (Luke 10:18).

In the Hebrew language we can uncover the meaning behind the name Barack Obama.

Barack, also transliterated as Baraq, in Hebrew is: lightning

baraq – Biblical definition:

From Strongs H1299; lightning; by analogy a gleam; concretely a flashing sword: – bright, glitter (-ing, sword), lightning. (Strongs Hebrew word H1300 baraq baw-rawk')

Barak 'O'bamah, The use of bamah is used to refer to the "heights" of Heaven.

bamah – Biblical definition:

From an unused root (meaning to be high); an elevation: – height, high place, wave. (Strongs Hebrew word H1116 bamah baw-maw')

The day following the election of Barack Obama (11/04/08), the winning pick 3 lotto numbers in Illinois (Obama's home state) for 11/5/08 were 666.

Obama was a U.S. senator for Illinois, and his zip code was 60606.

Seek Jesus while He may be found...repent, confess and forsake your sins and trust in the savior! Jesus says we must be born again by His Holy Spirit to enter the kingdom of God...God bless!

January 15, 2021 at 22:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Michelle B

What's up?

I found this article very interesting...please read!

Article: https://biblewoke.com/rfid-mark-of-the-beast-666-revealed

GOD is sending out His end time warning:

In the Hebrew language we can uncover the meaning behind the name Barack Obama.

Barack, also transliterated as Baraq, in Hebrew is: lightning

baraq – Biblical definition:

Barak 'O'bamah, The use of bamah is used to refer to the "heights" of Heaven.

bamah – Biblical definition:

Obama was a U.S. senator for Illinois, and his zip code was 60606.

January 16, 2021 at 20:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. froleprotrem

I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your website. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Outstanding work!

January 19, 2021 at 23:17 | Report abuse | Reply