home
RSS
October 13th, 2011

Healthier foods earn healthier profits

Foods that are good for the waistline are also good for the bottom line.  That’s the conclusion of a report out Thursday from the Hudson Institute, a non-partisan policy research organization.

The Hudson Institute’s Obesity Solutions Initiative found the food and beverage companies with the most “better for you” products grew faster, had higher profits and superior shareholder returns over the last five years.

Hank Cardello, a former food company executive and lead author, said the report was the first to look at profitability of healthier products in terms CEOs can understand.

“It’s always been a moral argument as opposed to a business argument why it makes sense to move in that direction,” Cardello said.

The report analyzed 15 of the largest food and beverage companies, including Coke, Pepsi, General Mills, Kellogg’s, General Mills, Nestle, Dannon, Nabisco and Campbell Soup.

On average, 38.6 percent of the sales were from foods and beverages deemed “better for you.” The remaining foods and beverages were classified as “traditional.”

Companies with above-average sales were compared with those below average. The companies that sold more “better for you” products reported almost double the profit margin and stock performance. “Better for you” products also accounted for almost three-quarters of sales growth.

But  Michele Simon, author of "Appetite for Profit: How the Food Industry Undermines Our Health and How to Fight Back," said the growth figures give a false impression.

“The higher growth is usually because these are newer products, which tend to do better in growth figures, so it’s somewhat misleading to even say ‘better for you’ products are growing faster when they may just be newer,” Simon said in an e-mail.

The report categorized  “better for you” products as “lite foods” such as Nestle’s Lean Cuisine, Coca-Cola Zero and Tropicana 50 and “good foods,” such as General Mills’ Cheerios, Dannon Yogurt and Campbell’s Tomato Soup.

“Traditional foods” included Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes, Hellmann’s Mayonnaise, Coke and Tropicana orange juice.

“Just because it’s better for you doesn’t mean it’s good for you,” she said. “What people should really be eating is real foods, not packaged foods, from a nutritional standpoint.”

Cardello said he hopes the report, underwritten by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation,  will prompt companies to place more emphasis on “better for you” foods and beverages and accelerate development of more nutritious products.

“I certainly think it gives ammunition to C suites and their boards to move in this direction,” said Cardello, director of the Obesity Solutions Initiative. “We’re not saying walk away from what you have. We’re just saying as a growth mechanism, this is very enticing.”

The mission of the Obesity Solutions Initiative is to come up with practical, market-based solutions to the world's obesity epidemic.

The Hudson Institute did not release rankings of how the individual companies fared in terms of sales of “better for you” versus “traditional” foods and beverages.

1. Andrew

Tell that to the fast food companies that seem to make huge profits by selling fatty foods. The health foods can't make those kinds of profits. I know CNN wants us to think that, but look around, your local McDonald's owner is making great profits wherever you live, the same can't be said for your local health food operator.

October 13, 2011 at 09:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RedinAustin

I agree. Those places market "Better for you" foods, that are really, only marginally better for you than their usual junk. It's all about the marketing, my friend.

October 13, 2011 at 13:09 | Report abuse |
    • Galina L.

I lost 35 lb on a low-carb-high-fat food. I cook my own food, At McDonald when I travel, I just eat things without a ban no french-fries. Our health-food store sells a lot of organic junk-food like organic macaroni-and-cheese and some vegetarian nonsense like soy burgers. I don't think that cheerios are fit for human consumption. Eggs are perfect for breakfast.

October 13, 2011 at 17:59 | Report abuse |
    • The_Mick

@Galena – I went from 236 to 188 lbs on a low-fat high-carb diet called "The Pritikin Promise" which was big in the 1980s. Your high-fat and my high-carb diet only worked because they supplied less Calories than we burned. That's the ONLY way weight is lost. Today, it's recognized that high-carb or high-fat diets are NOT healthy for the long term and they, like other fad diets, are scams to some extent. Getting exercise during weight loss is also important: otherwise you're losing about 77% fat and 23% important muscle tissue. I've lost 8 lbs since May bicycling 2-3 days/week and that loss is ALL fat because I've actually been building muscle while doing it. As it's getting colder I bought "Just Dance II" for my Wii to add an aerobic workout.

October 13, 2011 at 18:29 | Report abuse |
    • Galina L

Mick, I disagree.Unfortunately, I have been on different diets all my life despite being quite physically active, even had to have a foot surgery 2 years ago due to overuse injury. High-fat diet is the first diet that worked . My doctor told me I am the only one of his patients who didn't not regain 20 lb weight loss 4 years ago, it is now 35 lb. I remember being hungry and miserable on low-fat diets all the time.. Small wonder – there is no essential carbohydrate, there are essential fats and proteins.Look how emaciated Clinton looks. I am 50 years old, full of vitality, no wrinkles.. Each time I eat to satiety now,.If at the same time I consume less calories , as you said, even better – means the low-carb-high-fat diet prevents overeating.. Ha, profits for the companies who produce "lite" foods on the rise together with the obesity rates – sounds logical for me.

October 14, 2011 at 07:59 | Report abuse |
    • chang

I got his autograph and it was erllay cool that i got to actually meet someone that helped to change the world. His speech and the great help of God erllay was awesome. I hope I could be one of the person like him !! someday ..! =D

April 14, 2012 at 14:32 | Report abuse |
  2. Jessica Taft

October 13, 2011 at 09:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. DyeDiet

This is encouraging news. With over 7000 additives, 9 ubiquitous colorants, sugar everywhere and now artificial sweeteners everywhere Americans doomed to go down in the long run. I call this the Dye Diet and therefore started an educational website where I expose Risk/Nutrition reviews for the popular foods and drinks. You can see what is BAD and why and what is GOOD and why. Biggest part of what we eat and drink is awful... However if you are EDUCATED you can select descent foods even at Walmart, easily. This would slush obesity, diabetes, cancers, Alzheimer's, ADHD, depression etc. in America.

October 13, 2011 at 09:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Louise

It depends on what their definition is of "healthy" though. I would say any product with anything fake in it is junk food – the word "lite" on the label isn't enough to call it "better for you" in my books.

Plus I'm also not comfortable with them using the word "traditional" for the other junk foods in the study. There is nothing at all "traditional" about these pretend foods. "Traditional" is vegetables, fruit, meat, nuts etc.

October 13, 2011 at 11:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Inciteful

From the consumer's viewpoint, I have long said that, quite literally, I cannot afford to eat "healthy." I prefer "healthy" food products, but my wallet does not. Junk food is considerably more affordable, perhaps for a reason.

October 13, 2011 at 12:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RedinAustin

What you are referring to is pre-packaged, convience foods. Try buying ingredients and taking the time to make the food yourself. You don't have to buy organic, free-range, etc. etc. Just buy real/whole fruits and vegtables, dried beans and lentils, real oatmeal (not instant), whole chicken breasts that you de-bone and skin yourself, and such. You'll find your grocery bill does go down and you'll be eating better too. And believe me you have the time to do it. My husband and I can do this while both working full time jobs, having a 7 month old son, keeping our house and yard in shape, and doing volunteer work. It just takes a little planning.

October 13, 2011 at 13:00 | Report abuse |
    • Alan

When you take your medical bills into account it is way more expensive to eat junk food. You pay more now or you pay much more later.

October 13, 2011 at 20:24 | Report abuse |
  6. Alan

I think Marion Nestle got it right!

"Marion Nestle, a New York University professor and author of "Food Politics," said “better for you” is a relative term.

"

October 13, 2011 at 20:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Avser Bastian

WHITES AREN’T WELCOME IN AMERICA ANY LONGER !!! WE DON’T NEED YOU ANYMORE !!! OUT OF AMERICA WITH WHITES NOW !!!

OR

OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE RECORDED LIVE IN 2009. Facts about lunatic Obama/Bush's twilight zone administrations(HORROR) or genocide against white population.

Make sure to play video from beginning. Just in case http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xleq3o

THIS INFORMATION WAS PROVIDED TO YOU BY WHITE AMERICAN REFUGEE !!!

IS IT INDEPENDENCE THAT WE CELEBRATE OR DEPENDENCE (what are your credit card bills or alimony saying about it) !!? HOW IS YOUR DIABETES AND LOST MARRIAGES !!? FORECLOSURES AND JOB SEARCH !!? THAT IS THE QUESTION TO BE OR NOT TO BE !!! IS IT LAND OF THE FREE OR STATE OF TERROR AGAINST OWN WHITE POPULATION !!? IT IS TIME TO LET THEM KNOW WHAT COLOR ARE THE STRIPES ON OUR STAR SPANGLED BANNER !!! TIME TO DETERMINE WHOSE INDEPENDENCE/AMERICA, WE CELEBRATE TODAY(who wants to erase us and denies us the right to exist) !!! IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW WHOM WE ADDRESS WITH "PRESIDENT" (STOP HUMILIATING YOURSELF) !!!

911 WAS CREATED FOR PEOPLE TO WAKE UP(deliberately by CIA)....HOWEVER, WAKE UP EITHER WHAT IS TRUTH(sanity) OR WAKE UP TO LIES(insanity = with what your self elected governments have brainwashed you when forcefully jobless/persecuted....therefor­­e, I want you to think about "WAKE UP" when watching next time ALEX JONES alike "alternative" news/media = CIA)

WHEN YOU WAKE UP, I WANT YOU TO WAKE TO YOURSELF AND NOT TO SOMEONE ELSE'S DREAM (ZIONIST/COMMUNIST/LIBERAL DREAM CATCHERS/THIEFS, WHO PLOTTED 911 TO WAKE YOU AFTERWARDS WITH ECONOMIC OPPRESSION IN A WORLD OF LIES !!!)

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT TRUTH IS !!? WHATEVER YOU WERE BORN IS WHAT YOU ARE(truth therefore) AND FOR WHATEVER REASONS YOU HAVE CHANGED(distorted yourself) SINCE 9/11 IS WHAT YOU ARE NOT !!!

FOR PIECE OF MIND(sanity), PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITES AND REMEMBER, GENOCIDE(health care) BASED ON FORGIVE AND FORGET IS NOT FOR ME !!! DIGNITY, PRIDE, AND HONOR ARE WORTH TO DIE AND KILL FOR !!!

October 15, 2011 at 18:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Marshall O'Brien

Is it realistic and fair to call overly processed items that are created in a laboratory, food? Apples, oranges, lettuce, or chicken wings are food. And to call these overly processed foods "better for you" is an absolute hypocrisy. "Better for you" than what? A spiral bound note book probably has more nutrients and fiber than most of the things that come in a box, freezer, or drive thru that are deemed “convenience” foods. And why are they considered convenient? Because in the manufacturing process (are we manufacturing engines, or cooking pizza?!) they've been stripped of most nutrients, and the fiber, so they can be easily heated and eaten up. Unfortunately though, as a result eating, those "edible food like substances" only makes the eater sick. And being sick isn't so convenient.

October 17, 2011 at 15:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Good Health One

That was an Excellent Article. You Made some Great points and I am thankful for your information!

August 30, 2013 at 08:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Merlin Mccuien

dywany dla dzieci

January 22, 2017 at 15:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Even

January 30, 2017 at 02:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. prada スーパーコピー 口コミ

S級スーパーコピーブランド品販売
    シャネルが発表しているニュートラベルラインは、素材にナイロンを採用したカジュアルさが持ち味。
    美しいカラーバリエーションやデザインで気軽に使えるバッグを始め、シンプルなバッグまで幅広く作られています。

October 9, 2018 at 07:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Cbd Extract

Any new news on this? It's almost like you read my thoughts! I'm really beyond blown away, I got to confess. My best friend told me they would like to become a paid expert on this subject some day.

December 27, 2018 at 16:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. detectives privados formentera

detectives privados arganda del rey

December 11, 2020 at 23:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Sidney Farrare

I like what you guys are up also. Such intelligent work and reporting! Keep up the superb works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my web site

December 20, 2020 at 16:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. vreyrolinomit

You are my breathing in, I have few blogs and infrequently run out from to brand.

December 23, 2020 at 19:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Evan Litchfield

The top stock to acquire for 2021 range from small-cap diamonds in the rough similar to URBT to dominant emerging stocks. If you have $400 available currently, the following revolutionary stock would be perfect for opportunistic long-term investors. Urban TV Network Corp stock OTC: URBT. I do not what you think, but once I think of technology, internet streaming services stocks can certainly be considered. Within the past decade, we have witnessed incredible breakthroughs in internet streaming bitrates along with devices which are created to support those services. We've witnessed foremost streaming services like HBO and Hulu grab market share, except this little recognized company Urban Television Network Corporation. have launched magnificent streaming services URBTPlus. I imagine this company is going to corner the urban internet streaming markeplace. The stock market forever has a few surprises on hand, as any shareholder in 2020 would corroborate. URBT has been surprising with a 400 gain over twelve months. But by and large, the major factor specialists are considering as they discover the best stocks to buy for 2021 is the same element that led 2020: Corona Virus. & streaming service URBTPlus is responding to the call. So as an investor check out Urban Televison Network Corporation. stock symbol URBT. #top5investment2121

December 23, 2020 at 23:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. make money fast

Earn 100 commissions of up to 900+ dollars DAILY. 90 Second Set Up – Beta Tested Proven 24-7 AUTOPILOT Income – 100 New Income System Never Before Seen. More details: https://bit.ly/2YfQFcC

December 26, 2020 at 12:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Clair Bilecki

Nowadays it may seem like technology is Making life much easier than it had been in the past. We literally have access to technologies everywhere, most people have smartphones and computers always turned on and rely upon this technology a great deal more than we might realize. Sure this technology is very good, but there are ways that this tech could also be negatively impacting our own lives, so the question is: Can we detox from technology and what may be the reasoning for doing this. Tech Is surely great and has gained us tremendously through the years this is more than accurate. Being always connected to the external world can help us todomuch more and have a far greater impact than ever before. It would be tricky to imagine life with no technologies and several men and women question if we could really lead such rewarding lives without it. https://truehealthreport.com/how-to-detox-from-technology/

December 29, 2020 at 08:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Matthew Jurewicz

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile Thus let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! "By nature, men are nearly alike by practice, they get to be wide apart." by Confucius.

January 10, 2021 at 06:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Lacy Schlinger

Some really great content on this website, thank you for contribution. "Such evil deeds could religion prompt." by Lucretius.

January 11, 2021 at 01:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Georgianna Santti

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.

January 11, 2021 at 02:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Carter Heileman

hi! cool!! if you have a second check us out, all about DreamWeaver and computers! take care!!

January 12, 2021 at 00:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Ellena Schwinn

I was reading through some of your blog posts on this site and I believe this web site is very instructive! Retain posting .

January 15, 2021 at 22:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Jessia Klosky

world is changing

January 16, 2021 at 01:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Silas Mellerson

January 17, 2021 at 23:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Manual Dafonseca

January 21, 2021 at 00:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Edmond Belter

I like what you guys are up also. Such smart work and reporting! Keep up the excellent works guys I¡¦ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it'll improve the value of my site 🙂

January 21, 2021 at 01:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Anton Bohnert

Keep up the fantastic piece of work, I read few posts on this website and I believe that your web blog is very interesting and has bands of good info .

January 21, 2021 at 03:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Joel Newnam

It's hard to say

January 25, 2021 at 17:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Vikki List

Best Marketing Services – Cheapest on Market. SMM Supreme is the Top 5 Best Social Media Website in the World. Best Quality-Price Ratio on the market with 714,928 orders until now. – Facebook Fan Page Likes for $4.50/1000 – Instagram Followers for $0.78/1000 – Youtube Views: $1.62/1000 – Twitter followers: $2.10/1000 – Paypal Deposit – Bitcoin Deposit – Fast order processing – 1 Hour Delivery (Click on the link in the profile for more details)

January 27, 2021 at 02:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Nenita Cobia

January 27, 2021 at 13:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Keneth Castellaneta

$Spy Quarterly Forecast. $SPY has a reputation as the Most Reliable Investment for both young and old traders. $Spy assets hold a postive looking BBB Score of (5.17 / 10) with 506 seperate holdings. $Spy is a BUY. You can also get your own free stock here: https://join.robinhood.com/matthew11221

January 28, 2021 at 18:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Charlesetta Rantz

Thank you, I've recently been searching for information about this topic for a long time and yours is the best I have found out till now. However, what about the conclusion? Are you positive in regards to the supply?

January 28, 2021 at 21:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Denver Barfoot

fantastic publish, very informative. I'm wondering why the other experts of this sector don't understand this. You must continue your writing. I am confident, you have a huge readers' base already!

January 28, 2021 at 22:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Tisa Cannonier

“Drink This Tonic to Shrink Your Fat Cells” This may seem new to you, but there’s a hormone called C-Reactive Protein, that when elevated, is known to cause chronic inflammation and rapid fat storage. And even worse, when left untreated this hormone WILL wreak havoc on your body making it nearly impossible to lose weight no matter how much you exercise and eat healthily. Thankfully, there’s a simple and quick strategy to shut it down. And the best part is it’ll only take 24 hours before you’ve lost your first pound of belly fat. ==>The Fastest Way to Shut Down The Most Dangerous Fat-Storing Protein (and Start Burning Fat again) click here to learn more -> https://tinyurl.com/y6hzj4t7

January 30, 2021 at 06:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Passive-Income 2021

Get Our Passive Income System – Step 1: Get our ready made niche websites, Step 2: Setup your Paypal account. Step 3: Run our Unlimited Traffic System from 850 sources of traffic (Approximately 35000 views a day guaranteed). Then just wait and earn your income 100 on autopilot. More info: https://www.k3reviews.com/2020/08/16/monster-mode-700k/

January 30, 2021 at 21:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. 500 Dollars a Day Passive Income

Get Our Passive Income System – Step 1: Get our ready made niche websites, Step 2: Run our Premium Unlimited Traffic Step 3: Setup your Paypal account. Then just sit back and relax while you watch your paypal account receiving payments during the whole day 100 in auto pilot. More info: https://www.k3reviews.com/2020/08/16/monster-mode-700k/

February 1, 2021 at 12:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. zortilonrel

I really appreciate this post. I¦ve been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You've made my day! Thx again

February 5, 2021 at 07:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Laurine Lacount

Earn $1000/Day With Our Passive Income System – Best Autopilot income system 2021

February 5, 2021 at 19:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Letty Regulus

Earn $200/Day With Our Last Passive Income System – Best Autopilot income system 2021

February 6, 2021 at 07:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. frolep rotrem

I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a great blog like this one today..

February 6, 2021 at 22:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Kathie Ork

I've heard it a million times... I'm going to quit my job, I'm going to start my own business, I'm going to live where I want, and I'm going to live the dream... Enough talk. Everyone's got a vision. Fine. What exactly have you done lately to make it come true? Not much, you say? If everyone suddenly got injected with the truth serum, you'd hear people talk a different game: Hi, my name is Dave. I've got huge dreams. But I'm a failure, because I did nothing to make these dreams come true. I'm too afraid to start. I procrastinate about taking action. I will probably never do anything or amount to anything in my life, because I choose to stay in my comfort zone. Incidentally, the first step to changing your life is to be honest about how you feel. Are you afraid? Fine. Are you anxious? Fine. Do you procrastinate? Great. This means you have to start with a tiny step. Something that isn't as intimidating as making a million dollars in the next 12 months. How about making your first $100.00 online? Doesn't sound too far out of reach, right? Here's a great place to start http://divineurl.com/28di0

February 9, 2021 at 00:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. https://europa-road.eu/

Please let me know if you're looking for a author for your blog. You have some really great articles and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd really like to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an e-mail if interested. Many thanks!

February 9, 2021 at 04:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Drive-20000 Google-Organic-Visitors

Create a profitable digital marketing strategy and plan: https://www.seoclerk.com/Virtual-Assistant/840836/I-will-create-a-profitable-digital-marketing-strategy-and-plan

February 16, 2021 at 20:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. SocialMedia Services2021

Do you want get more social network traffic, likes, subscribers? Our Company provide SMM Services that means (Social Media Marketing) that is directly using social network websites such as Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to promote a website. High Quality Services / Our prices are the cheapest in the market, starting at $0.01 / 24/7 Support / API Support for panel leaders / Best prices Our Website: https://smmsupreme.com/auth/signup

February 19, 2021 at 14:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. ClarkTauts

ps35t jv339 cizw

March 1, 2021 at 08:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Alejandro Luebano

Together with almost everything that appears to be building inside this specific area, many of your perspectives are actually somewhat stimulating. On the other hand, I appologize, because I do not subscribe to your entire suggestion, all be it stimulating none the less. It would seem to everyone that your comments are generally not completely rationalized and in fact you are generally your self not really fully convinced of your point. In any case I did appreciate examining it.

Proxyti.com/buy/1000-private-proxies

March 3, 2021 at 07:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. froleprotrem

I love it when people come together and share opinions, great blog, keep it up.

March 3, 2021 at 22:01 | Report abuse | Reply