home
RSS
October 11th, 2011

Human Factor: Survivors, your stories fuel hope

In the Human Factor, we profile survivors who have overcome the odds. Confronting a life obstacle - injury, illness or other hardship - they tapped their inner strength and found resilience they didn't know they possessed. This week, "Next Food Network Star" finalist Hans Rueffert shares his battle with gastric cancer.

The six years following my initial cancer diagnosis have been a complete, blender-spinning blur.

At times, my most recent surgery from back in March feels like a decade ago, yet my first journey under the knife way back in 2005 seems somehow more recent. Keeping a blog was my wife Amy's idea. In truth, I wasn't even 100% sure I truly knew what a BLOG was! I thought the term was VLOG…which I suppose is just as arbitrary as BLOG.

At any rate, the first few entries were a cautious, nervous, frightened collection of thoughts describing our baptism into the complicated world of cancer. Sometimes funny, sometimes graphic, always unsure what was waiting around the next corner, we shared our story with the world as it happened, blow by blow. When the details of my many health challenges seem vague, I sometimes read through my own blog entries and wade back through the thick and tangled memories of that journey.

Eleven surgeries, countless checkups, and several hundred blog entries later, the story continues. I'm always surprised by the diversity and sheer number of readers that the blog attracts. Some pop in to quench their curiosity, some hoping for a light laugh, but others arrive while looking for some serious slivers of hope.

If you do a search for GASTRIC CANCER on your favorite search tool, you're likely to come away from your computer feeling overwhelmed and even hopeless. But should you somehow land here after having just been diagnosed with GC, you might just feel the tiniest better about your predicament. "If he can beat stomach cancer, why can't I?" Every time we landed on a survivor's story, we came away with a freshly forged new link in our chainmail...a thicker coat of armor for the battles ahead.

Success stories are crucial...steep yourself in them, and then BECOME a success story. Even more importantly, share your success story with the world...sing your life! No matter what you’ve overcome in your life, no matter how insignificant it may seem to you, every success story can be as contagious as a wide-mouth yawn.

It may not seem all that important right now, and even more to the point, you may not FEEL like writing your story right now, but to someone somewhere, it's just what they need to hear. Your story may be the tale that fuels the fire of hope that is so crucial for someone facing a cancer diagnosis.

We’re all on this ride together, so don’t try and go on it alone. I can’t make you do it, but I’d be proud if you signed up to mentor or counsel others through support groups like the Anderson Network or Immerman’s Angels. I also work with the Gastric Cancer Fund to do what I can to help others dealing with this disease. Chances are there are local support groups in your area that could use your voice...your story. It’s a powerful thing.

1. JennM

I am so proud to call Hans my friend. I have followed his journey these last 6 years, and he is nothing short of inspirational. The fact that he has taken this bad thing and turned it into so much good for so many people, is just amazing!

Gesundheit, my friend!

October 11, 2011 at 14:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Judy Anderson

I just discovered this site, due to Mrs. Rueffert's post on the ECGROUP list, and I just ordered "Eat Like There's No Tomorrow". I too was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma at the GE junction, on 7/5/05. I had an Ivor Lewis esophagectomy on 2/27/06, and I also had a leak. It healed on it's own however, and I had no infections from it. Like most esophagectomy survivors, I have a host of after-effects, and have had to relearn how to eat, but that just goes with the territory. I am still here to talk about it, so I can't really complain. I am looking forward to reading the book, as well as the resto of this blog, as soon as I can figure out how to navigate the site.

October 13, 2011 at 01:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • F Dale Standley

Judy, Please take a look at the message I sent Carol below. I think you could benefit from the Soursop tea as well. My email standley_fd@yahoo.com for more info.
      Good luck
      Dale Standley

August 10, 2015 at 05:17 | Report abuse |
  3. Carol Henegar

I am so excited to see Hans this morning on CNN. He is an amazing man and want to congratulate him for his successes with so many life threatening experiences.

October 14, 2011 at 10:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • F Dale Standley

Carol, Google soursop leaves or Graviola leaves make tea for cancer cure. I was healed from cancer in 4 weeks drinking this tea. Study it research it for yourself. This is no snake oil...it cured my friend with 3rd stage cervical cancer in 3 weeks. It is miraculus....
      Good luck
      Dale Standley
      I can supply you and others with the Soursop tea leaves from Indonesia as I live in Jakarta, Indonesia. They worked for me.

August 10, 2015 at 05:12 | Report abuse |
    • F Dale Standley

If you need more info please email me at standley_fd@yahoo.com

August 10, 2015 at 05:15 | Report abuse |
  4. Kaylee Kempel

I wanted to buy the cookbook (ISBN 978-1607431718) but Amazon.com says its out of print! Oh well 🙁 I really enjoyed his story as he is such an inspiration.

October 14, 2011 at 11:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Amy

Hi Kaylee!
      This book is not out of print!
      If you go to hanscooks.com you can purchase it directly from Hans!

October 14, 2011 at 15:34 | Report abuse |
  5. Tashi

I saw you this morning in the news and couldn't wait to tell you how proud and happy I am for you. you are an amazing inspiration to all those patients who thinks if they can make through this phase. your story is so close to my heart because I was diagnosed with the same problem as you in 2008 and went through all the rituals. i had diaphragmatic hernia as a side effect and had to undergo emergency surgery. So far everything is good. In the time when you look into the internet and find all the negatives statistics, you are a fresh hope. Thank you.

October 14, 2011 at 11:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. mailet

Wow, wow! This is exactly what http://www.IHadCancer.com is about. Sharing your story/experience no matter how small or insignificant you think it is may be just what someone next door, across the country or across the world needs.

Not everyone knows how to set up a blog and the chances of finding one that's specific to your situation is like finding a needle in a haystack. I Had Cancer puts all these stories in one location where you can search for someone by cancer type, age, gender, location and more.

Stories provide hope from someone who's been there and helps us look towards the future reminding us that there is reason to fight.

Congrats and thanks for sharing your story. Wishing you health and happiness.

October 25, 2011 at 09:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Marion Smith

Hans,You are awesome.What an inspiration you are to all with gastric cancer challenges.Thanks for telling your story.
    God bless you always. Good health to you.

October 29, 2011 at 12:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Lynne Smith

Even though I did not have cancer, I also had a very similar surgery that removed most of my esophogas and stomach and at 7 months in still having a hard time finding foods that agree with me.. But it seems I have finally gotten past vomiting after every meal.. I also have a backround in cooking and food So this story really really touched me.. Thank you, we need strong people to help inspire us to also be strong.

October 29, 2011 at 14:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. lich tennis ngay mai

Thẳng đá Bóng Hôm Nay, Liên Kết Coi Bóng Đá Trực Tuyến 24hmu vs psgTheo thể thức thi đấu, đội thắng ở cặp đấu này sẽ giành tấm vé đến Lithuania trong ngày hội bóng đá lớn nhất thế giới mang đến futsal. Tuyển futsal Việt Nam bước vào trận play-off lượt đi tranh vé dự play-off World Cup 2021 với sự tự tin. Tuy vậy, HLV Phạm Minh Giang bày tỏ, toàn đội ko ngán Lebanon tuy vậy sẽ tìm cách để khắc chế sức mạnh của đối thủ bởi trên băng ghế huấn luyện là nhà cầm quân Ramiro Lopez, người từng dẫn dắt futsal Tây Ban Nha.|Dựa vào lịch tranh tài, quý khách có thể chuẩn bị xếp việc làm

June 9, 2021 at 05:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. trực tuyến vtv3 hd

Kết Trái Futsal Việt Nam Vs Lebanonxem vtv3 trực tiếpTheo thể thức thi đấu, đội thắng ở cặp đấu này sẽ giành tấm vé đến Lithuania vào ngày hội bóng đá lớn nhất thế giới cho futsal. Tuyển futsal Việt Nam bước vào trận play-off lượt đi tranh vé dự play-off World Cup 2021 với sự tự tin. Tuy vậy, HLV Phạm Minh Giang bày tỏ, toàn đội không ngán Lebanon tuy vậy sẽ tìm cách để khắc chế sức mạnh của đối thủ bởi bên trên băng ghế huấn luyện là nhà cầm quân Ramiro Lopez, người từng dẫn dắt futsal Tây Ban Nha.|Dựa vào lịch tranh tài, bạn hoàn toàn có thể sắp xếp làm việc

June 11, 2021 at 05:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. truc tiep bong da hôm nay u22

Trực Tiếp Bóng ĐábdtvhdTrên băng ghế huấn luyện, Lebanon đã bổ nhiệm Ramiro Lopez cách đây 3 tuần. Nhà nắm quân người Tây Ban Nha chủ yếu đuối làm việc trên Ý và từng có thời hạn làm việc trên Kuwait.|Và NHM bóng đá Việt Nam đang được đợi Minh Trí cùng đồng đội hóa giải đối thủ để tạo lợi thế cho trận lượt về sau đây hai ngày. Chelsea đã phải trải qua 8 phút bù giờ nghẹt thở bảo đảm an toàn thắng lợi.

June 11, 2021 at 19:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. bong da u23 viet nam truc tiep

Trực Tiếp Soccer Việt Nam Vs Lebanon. Coi Truc Tiep Bong Da. Futsal Việt Nambxh premier leagueTrên băng ghế giảng dạy, Lebanon đã xẻ nhiệm Ramiro Lopez cơ hội đây 3 tuần. Nhà cầm cố quân người Tây Ban Nha nhà yếu ớt thực hiện việc tại Ý và từng có thời hạn làm việc trên Kuwait.|Và NHM bóng đá Việt Nam đang hóng Minh Trí cùng đồng đội hóa giải đối thủ để tạo lợi thế cho trận lượt về sau đây hai ngày. Chelsea đã phải trải qua 8 phút bù giờ không thở được bảo vệ thắng lợi.

June 12, 2021 at 00:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. xoilac

Thẳng Soccer Thời Điểm Hôm NaysoikeoplusĐây có lẽ rằng là ngôi trường hợp “của đi thay nhân viên" khá may mắn đối với Ben McLemore. Thiếu chút nữa tay ném của Los Angeles Lakers đã có thể bắt gặp tai nạn nguy hiểm. Cập nhật kết quả trận Việt Nam vs Lebanon thuộc play-off vòng chủng loại Futsal World Cup 2021.

June 15, 2021 at 18:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. kenh vtv3 truc tuyen

Xem Trực Tiếp Soccertruc tiep bong da hôm nay u22Theo thể thức thi đấu, đội thắng ở cặp đấu này sẽ giành tấm vé đến Lithuania vào ngày hội bóng đá lớn nhất thế giới cho futsal. Tuyển futsal Việt Nam bước vào trận play-off lượt đi tranh vé dự play-off World Cup 2021 với sự tự tin. Tuy vậy, HLV Phạm Minh Giang bày tỏ, toàn đội ko ngán Lebanon tuy vậy sẽ tìm cách để khắc chế sức mạnh của đối thủ bởi trên băng ghế huấn luyện là nhà cầm quân Ramiro Lopez, người từng dẫn dắt futsal Tây Ban Nha.|Dựa vào lịch tranh tài, quý khách có thể chuẩn bị xếp việc làm

June 16, 2021 at 15:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. xem tivi htv7

Thẳng Bóng Đá Việt Nam Vs Lebanon. Xem Truc Tiep Bong Da. Futsal Việt Namthách thức danh hài mùa 6 tập 8Xem đá bóng trực tuyến Trực tiếp Odd BK vs Sarpsborg, 20h ngày 24/5, giải VĐQG Na Uy. Xem lịch phạt sóng trực tiếp bóng đá EURO thời điểm hôm nay được Webthethao update chủ yếu xác nhất.

June 16, 2021 at 15:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. bang xep hang seagame 30

Trực Tiếp Soccer Việt Nam Vs Lebanon. Xem Truc Tiep Bong Da. Futsal Việt Nambóng đá asiad 2019Nếu cứ nghịch như cơ hội vừa tiêu diệt Everton tới 3-1 bên trên Sảnh khách

June 26, 2021 at 05:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. queen's coast casino

Top 5 Trang Net Tỷ Lệ Kèo Bóng Đá Tốt Nhất 2021Tỷ Lệ Bóng Đá thiendia.com nhat ky may muaHai trận đấu của lượt cuối mỗi bảng bắt buộc phải thi đấu cùng giờ. Kết thúc vòng bảng, đội nhất, nhì các bảng và 4 đội xếp thứ ba có thành tích tốt nhất sẽ giành quyền vào vòng 16 đội.

June 26, 2021 at 17:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. lich la liga

Thẳng đá Bóng Việt Nam Vs Lebanon. Coi Truc Tiep Bong Da. Futsal Việt Namu22 việt nam vs u22 philippinesXem bóng đá trực tuyến Trực tiếp Odd BK vs Sarpsborg, 20h ngày 24/5, giải VĐQG Na Uy. Xem lịch vạc sóng thẳng bóng đá EURO ngày hôm nay được Webthethao cập nhật chính xác nhất.

June 28, 2021 at 00:58 | Report abuse | Reply