home
RSS
September 9th, 2011

Inside Peyton Manning's surgery

The Indianapolis Colts will be playing without their star quarterback on Sunday, after Peyton Manning underwent surgery for a neck injury on Thursday. Manning had started every game in his 13-year career.

Colts president Bill Polian told SI.com Thursday afternoon that doctors believe there's a chance Manning, 35, could return to playing football again this year.

Manning had a procedure called a single level anterior fusion. That involves making an incision at the front of the neck, without cutting any muscles. The disc is removed from the nerve and spinal cord. The surgeon then fills the open disc space with a bone graft. The graft acts as a bridge between the two vertebrae, creating a spinal fusion. Metal plates and screws are often used to hold the bone graft and vertebrae together.

It's realistic for Manning to come back to playing in eight to 12 weeks, says Dr. Joseph C. Maroon, a neurosurgeon at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and neurosurgeon for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Maroon did not treat Manning, but has operated on five NFL athletes and five professional wrestlers.

"This didn't ruin his career - it saved it, because it's going to get him out of pain and stabilize his spine and he should make a full recovery," Maroon said.

People who have this procedure don't notice any loss of movement, and most go back to regular work within five to 10 days. They may have a sore throat for several days, but most do well within two to three weeks, Maroon said.

Manning had been suffering from a pinched nerve. He had two previous surgeries that appeared to be unsuccessful. Three reasons people have this kind of surgery are pain that doesn't go away, weakness to a specific muscle group or loss of sensation.

If the nerve is badly compressed before the surgery, however, specific muscle groups may be weaker than normal, but doctors would know about that beforehand. That would require a longer course of rehabilitation to help strengthen his muscles, Maroon said.

Last winter, two former Colts players had the same procedure, and the team says they have fully resumed their careers.

A 2011 study in the journal Spine found that after having a similar surgery, 40 players had come back to play in the NFL again.

"To say I am disappointed in not being able to play is an understatement," Manning said in a written statement. "The best part about football is being out there on the field playing with my teammates. It will tough not to be out there playing for the organization and our fans."

« Previous entry
  1. Steelers Defense

We would had done some surgery for him when we met up!

September 9, 2011 at 14:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • isaac

screw u steelers
      im not a Colts fan but thats harsh

September 9, 2011 at 15:36 | Report abuse |
    • Beth

You are disgusting Steeler's fan. Not a Colts fan but I really respect the way Peyton Manning carries himself, so it is unfortunate this happened. You should not wish bodily injury on another that could end their career just so your team can win. GROSS!

September 9, 2011 at 17:10 | Report abuse |
    • t-bone

I'd worry more about Harrison and his inability to decide who to direct his hatred towards. Only on the Steelers team could you find a guy that calls out his QB and RB. Steelers only saving grace is they get to play the Bengals twice, that will keep them from sitting in the basement this year.

September 9, 2011 at 18:07 | Report abuse |
    • StinkerSteelers

You like balls

September 9, 2011 at 18:40 | Report abuse |
    • ZysPsyk

LOL. Rapiestburger won't do anything for the Steelers.

September 9, 2011 at 19:22 | Report abuse |
    • cheesehead

You're probably pretty good at it after the schooling you had from Green Bay.

September 9, 2011 at 21:30 | Report abuse |
    • jer

"The disc is removed from the nerve and spinal cord. " Are u kidding me? Please tell me a physician did not write this article. The disc is removed from between two adjacent vertebrae. The disc is not removed from a nerve or the spinal cord. Removing disc material make take pressure off a nerve or the spinal cord, but the disc is not "removed FROM the nerve and spinal cord". Proofreading is apparently a dying art. Good luck Peyton

September 10, 2011 at 00:42 | Report abuse |
    • jayman419

Pittsburgh native and Steelers fan here. I just want to say we are not all [redacted] like the OP.

I hope Manning has a full and speedy recovery. The man is an absolute warrior and I have no doubt that he'll take the field again this season. It sucks that his streak is coming to an end, especially like this, but it's been a nagging injury that's affected Manning's performance for a long time.

And how can anyone not respect Manning? More than a decade, and not one single scandal, not one single off-field incident, not one single moment where he has forgotten that he is a role model for thousands of kids and the public face of a multi-million dollar operation in Indianapolis. (Well, unless you count yelling at his O-line occasionally... which I don't, personally.)

Good luck, Peyton... Hope we see you in the playoffs this year.

September 10, 2011 at 08:46 | Report abuse |
    • GB Rules

The Steelers needed surgery to remove their heads from their underwear after that Superbowl performance. Rodgers did the surgery to put their heads there in the first place.

September 11, 2011 at 09:12 | Report abuse |
    • Beth

I am one of those Steeler fans and you all can say whatever you want about us it's a free country. I can think of several reasons to get on other teams but I won't . I wish Peyton much success . I have followed him since his UT days and he really loves the game of football. He is a good example to young kids everywhere. He doesn't diss on others has kept himself true to the game and has set good standards for football. I hope things work out for him but feel this just may be his career. I am sure he has terrible neck pain and endures alot. This Steeler gal wishes him much good luck and hopefully a healthy life. Good luck guy.

September 11, 2011 at 16:15 | Report abuse |
  2. Frank

Hope he has a speedy recovery. Had a pinched nerve for 9 months, lots of chiro and pain clinic visits to get it straightened out. No fun at all.

September 9, 2011 at 15:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Steelers Suck

Your sick man. There is nothing about this situation to joke about. You clowns wont even win your division.

September 9, 2011 at 15:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jayman419

Every single sports writer who has made a prediction has a spot set aside for us in the playoffs this year.

As much as I love Ricky Williams, he's not enough to get Baltimore over the hump. Unless they radically redesign their gameplan and turn into a power run team that throws to the flats as a last resort to extend drives, I don't see Flacco taking care of business.

Cincy is a joke... They need to fire Lewis and stop their implosion before they do anything. And Cleveland, as much as I really want them to do well, they just don't have the weapons Colt needs yet.

September 10, 2011 at 08:50 | Report abuse |
  4. isaac

right on!
    To:steelers suck

September 9, 2011 at 15:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. IndyJones

I had two discs removed a fused together in my lower back in 2003. Surgery in June, no activity for 6 months. Have full motion back (play golf again) but back and muscles supporting back get sore easily. Wish him well. He may not be back this season.

September 9, 2011 at 15:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Santa Claus

Welcome to the 4-12 Crew, on your left, you will see the Bills and Panthers. On your right, the 49'ers and the Bengals.

September 9, 2011 at 15:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wes

You must be used to this club huh?

September 9, 2011 at 19:01 | Report abuse |
    • jayman419

Let the race to the bottom begin! Place your bets... Who is going to get Lucky in next year's draft?

September 10, 2011 at 08:53 | Report abuse |
  7. Always

Never a good thing....He makes the game fun to watch...retire now Peyton...you are already in CANTON and what is there left to prove?

September 9, 2011 at 15:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. rtbrno65

I think he's done. He's 35 years old and he has too many other opportunities. He can go into acting, sports reporting, politics, anything. Why would he want to risk a serious injury to his spinal cord? He has nothing left to prove, he's surely going to be in the Hall of Fame and he has the ring. If he was younger, or if his injury was not spinal, I'm sure he would come back.

September 9, 2011 at 15:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • t-bone

Some people actually do play for the love of the game and not the money. Peyton is one of them. If he can compete at a high level he will be out there every day.

September 9, 2011 at 18:13 | Report abuse |
    • TinKnight

I have to agree with t-bone. The vast majority of professional athletes don't quit when there are other opportunities...they quit when their bodies, their families, and their own internal clocks say "Hey, that's enough."

Why would anyone WANT to go into politics in this day and age? And especially when he's not given any indications that it interests him.

As for acting: although his commercials and his SNL bit have been funny, it's almost entirely of him playing a variation of himself. That's not really conducive to a prosperous acting career.

Sports reporting is for people that still want to be in the game, but can't find (or don't want) roles as coaches...Peyton DEFINITELY would have coaching opportunities opened up for him, and he's given every indication that his next career would be that of a coach. When you consider that he's basically been the on-spot offensive coordinator for the Colts for the past decade (with coaches helping on the sidelines, to be sure), and his natural teaching ability (witness how every Colt offensive rookie has raved about him), he'd be a lock.

But he won't go that way until he just can't play any more...had he not done this surgery, that would've been sooner rather than later.

September 9, 2011 at 20:26 | Report abuse |
  9. Spock500

Nice socks, Sanjay!

September 9, 2011 at 16:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Nate

This means his run at the consecutive game record established by Bret Favre will be over.

September 9, 2011 at 16:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. ellen stone

After struggling with a pinched nerve for about five years, I had this procedure done in May on two discs.Newest method invovles using plastic discs instead of bone grafts. Doctor explained that more patients complained about the bone graft harvested from their hips than the neck surgery itself. The doctor told me I would wake up pain free and he was right. Woke up feeling better than I had in years. Out patient surgery done on Thursday and back to work on Monday. Doctor released me to resume normal activity inlcuding weight lifting after four weeks. Three inch scar on my neck has about faded although I kinda liked it. If Peyton doesn't come back this season, he's a big wimp or has a bad doctor!

September 9, 2011 at 17:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dave

I doubt that after your surgery you had 300 pound athletes trying to take your head off with every snap of the ball. I'll bet there's a big difference in your lifestyles.....

September 9, 2011 at 18:03 | Report abuse |
    • t-bone

something tells me he has doctors that are 10 times better than you or i will ever get.

September 9, 2011 at 18:11 | Report abuse |
    • John Sharp

Yeah right Ellen, what a lovely to say about Peyton! so YOU had the surgery and YOU recovered fairly quickly but if Peyton doesn't, he is a wimp or has a bad doctor? Hello Ellen, anyone home there? Everyone responds different to surgery, medication and rehab.. Just because you recovered quickly from similar surgery has no bearing on how long Peyton will take to recover. By the way Ellen, do you play football? That is something also to be taken into consideration. I love Peyton and want to see him back but we are taking about three (so far) neck surgeries and his spinal column plus he plays in a most violent sport and is 35. One hard hit and he could be paralyzed for life. You should be ashamed of yourself Ellen!

September 9, 2011 at 19:37 | Report abuse |
    • james

i saw this ellen comment after my other comment and ellen is so full of it. i don't believe a word of it. jg

September 9, 2011 at 21:36 | Report abuse |
    • smallsoldier

I am nurse who has worked in a spinal cord injury center in a VA hospital for the past 12 years. Dealing with the neck and spinal cord is a very difficult and serious siuation, What works for one may not for next person. Even if surgery is a success the recovery part is the "make or break "no pun intended. I have had patients who had neck surgery and became totally paralized from the neck down. If he comes back too soon and gets hit just right and it doesn't take much,he could lose more than a career. If you haven't taken care of spinal cord patient's before, it's a wolrd that you have no idea of what they have to go through on a daily basis. I understand that he wants to play for the fans and team. But would any of those fans or team mates come and help hime take a bath,help urinate or worse help him do bowel care. Sorry I had to be graphic but that's the world they live in daily.

September 9, 2011 at 22:48 | Report abuse |
    • Dr.Zhicago

I read one comment from "Dave" that is closer to the truth than he may realize. I know two neurosurgeons from Indy that say it's possible for Manning to literally be decapitated should he be hit by the perfect storm of tackling in the NFL. That said, he's still worth 1,000 Tiny Minded Timmy Tebows. I'm still amazed at the hype over a QB who backed into the playoffs by losing his last three regular season games to finish 8-8 in the worst division, beat a slow, old, and injured Steeler team in overtime at home, but reality hit the following week in New England when the worst Pats team to reach the SB. humiliated the boy who drops to one knee every time he's on national tv., and by a score of 45-7. Has anyone bothered to look at the kid's stats? They're a billion times worse than all the stars in the universe than Manning's 4-6 lifetime record in games when the temperature is 45 degrees or lower. RG3 will be in a SB. before Luck, Peyton won't get to another, and Tiny Tim will never reach one in this world. I think his Lord will have something to do with that along with keeping Peyton from ever being severely injured. Remember what Jesus said Tiny Tim," Pray in your closet, not in public with all the hypocrites." Enclosed is a dime for the organization in your name. Where it goes, nobody knows; just like you in a decade.

June 5, 2012 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
  12. Tyrone-Dallas

Wow... this is going to be a tough blow to Indy but he's very lucky and blessed that he has caught it early. I, unfortunately, wasn't that lucky. I had Spinal Stenosis which I had to have surgery in Jan 2010 on FOUR levels (C3-4,C4-5, C5-6, and C6-7). They were severely damaged and required surgery via through the front and back of my neck. I didn't realize how much damage was done until I could move my left arm. The surgery save me from being paralyzed from the neck down!!

September 9, 2011 at 17:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Teresa W

Tyrone, I am going through the same thing and it also is in the c-5,6,7 in my neck. After your surgery were you able to function the same? I hate this for you and Peyton. Peyton is such a good hearted man and I wish hi all the best. I am worried about the surgery and the healing process. I just graduated college 2 weeks ago and now I have a degree I might not be able to use. Thank you...

September 9, 2011 at 21:18 | Report abuse |
    • oaker55

Theresa, I don't know about Tyrone but in my case my damage is at c4-5, c5-6 which has since transitioned to c6-7. It is a vicious cycle which once the fusion process begins, never ends. People seem to think that doctors have these magical tools that cause the fusion, but in reality what fusion is is a natural bodily function. The doctor removes the disc material and maintains the space between the vertebrae with a bone plug. Some doctors prefer to take a plug from the patients hip, in my case cadaver bone was used. The fusion process is just the body growing these bone pieces together much like it mends a broken arm or leg. The problem in this is the body doesn't know when to stop and continues to knit these bone pieces together until more problems occur and bone again impinges on the nerves. Unless a person is very, very lucky, once you have spinal fusion surgery more spinal surgery is in your future. In my case, it has been 8 years since my last surgery and I have been exhibiting more problems in the last 3 years but the doctor is reluctant to do more surgery until it is absolutely necessary as the next surgery will require the removal of the plate and installation of a larger plate. This will more than likely restrict most of the remaining movement in my neck but beyond that, the doctor says that the removal of the plate I have now is very difficult and risky surgery because of the way that the bone grows around it naturally. Removal of the plate could require breaking of the vertebrae and a prolonged recovery.

September 9, 2011 at 21:59 | Report abuse |
    • Teresa W

Oaker 55, thank you so very much for your reply. I am very nervous about this problem in my neck. This all started in 2008 when my lower back popped and then my neck started hurting. In the MRI it showed some cervical stenosis and I went through months of therapy and injections and it did help the pain at some level. Now it has returned worse than before and it is degenerating fast paced. I don't like the fact of loosing movement and feeling in my arm and hand but now it has gone into my other arm. I appreciate all your input and please, anything that might help me in this venture is appreciated. Peyton is a well known man here in my community because I am from Knoxville, TN so I know that many prayers are going up for him.

September 11, 2011 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
  13. Bob

From a Chiefs fan whose heart has often been broken by Manning and the Colts – a speedy and full recovery to you. The game is not the same without you.

September 9, 2011 at 17:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. t-bone

Take the year off, finish dead last, pick up Andrew Luck with the first pick and be his mentor for the next three years then retire to the sidelines. That should be enough to irritate every Steeler fan in the nation.

September 9, 2011 at 18:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wes

I like the way you think. From a Colts fan POV.

September 9, 2011 at 19:03 | Report abuse |
    • jayman419

Won't bother us a bit. They're not in our division, and we both already make it to the playoffs every year.

It isn't a bad idea to start seriously looking into a replacement for Manning though.

September 10, 2011 at 08:56 | Report abuse |
  15. Rae

Having had to have this exact same surgery, I HOPE he can get back to the game in the time frame they say. Though they told me MY fusion would take up to 12 months to fully happen. Then again I am not being treated by these doctors, nor am I in the physical shape Manning is. I wish him the best. I still have nerve damage to my right arm.. I Pray this doesnt stop him. He has been a rival QB to "my team" for years but I still wouldnt wish this on anyone, especially such an established player.

September 9, 2011 at 18:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Bob

If Peyton tries to return this year, he may be jeopardizing his life with a hit to the head, or worse yet, paralysis from the neck down. For the sake of his family, he should retire and live a very comfortable retirement.

September 9, 2011 at 19:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. larry

He'll recover quickly from a single level procedure and have good movement but he's going to find that he gets tired much quicker and that his natural throwing motion will change. He will do fine in his comeback effort because he plays with more than a throwing motion and his comeback will be driven by peer pressure which is just a part of his makeup and something that he seek out as the best part of the game. His comeback will be driven by the part of the game he shares with the team and not the part of the game he shares with the public and the media. And remember that the NFL is a business and don't be surprised if he gets traded by new management pressures that place the balance sheet for next year ahead of a winning season. Not all is well in this teams management and the pressure to be a business first is finally coming to the surface. It's the old dollar vs the icon problem.

September 9, 2011 at 20:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jayman419

He hasn't used his "natural" throwing motion since he left college. He'll adapt just fine.

September 10, 2011 at 09:00 | Report abuse |
    • larry

I was referring to a throwing motion of his choice. He may find that he has to adapt to a motion that is new and limits his range and accuracy and might just take some of the touch off the ball.

September 12, 2011 at 05:12 | Report abuse |
  18. John

Some guys have to come back, Peyton clearly doesn't. Not for the money, fame or respect. He could walk away yesterday and have all three in spades. Why subject yourself to the possibility of chronic pain or worse yet paralysis? This is not a game anymore and someone should talk some sense into him. His determination to play, which made him great, could very well be his downfall.

September 9, 2011 at 20:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. oaker55

I was injured at work 22 years ago and had my first of these surgeries 10 months later. That was 10 months of pure agony and after the surgery I woke up pain free for the first time in ten months. I was in a neck brace for 10 weeks but it actually took much longer to recover from the surgery than 10 weeks. I was good for 9 years, but after 9 years the repair collapsed and I was in the emergency room and had emergency corrective surgery the next day. I felt great again after I woke up from surgery and spent another 10 weeks in a neck brace and much longer time recovering fully from the surgery. Four years later, I was again having problems and went back to the neurosurgeon and had more surgery where they had to install a plate and six screws to stabilize the area. Since that time I have had surgery on both hands because of residual nerve damage cause from the surgery to my neck. Last November, I had to have my left shoulder replaced because of the same residual nerve damage and I will probably have to have my right shoulder done in a couple of months.

This is NOT minor surgery and what they are not talking about in these articles are all the complications that follow this type of surgery. The movement in the neck are compensated for at different levels that are not meant to move in this manor. This brings on "transition disease" which causes deterioration at other levels because of this compensation. It's a viscous cycle. If I was Payton Manning, I would retire. Quality of life is much more important than playing football. I was 34 years old when I was injured, almost the same age as he is now. I haven't had 300 pound football players trying to tear my head off. Because of the plate in my neck, if I try to move my head too far in any direction the pain will shoot all the way to my toes. I would hate to think what would happen if someone who could not feel this pain tried to move my head for me. Something would have to give and I am sure it wouldn't be the metal plate. Retire now, Payton, while you can still walk and have a normal life.

September 9, 2011 at 20:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. james

no one has mentioned his two previous "unsuccessful" surgeries,(what happened?) i had 2 spinal surgeries one in 1987 one in 1in 95 through the front and back. now i am going in for two levels on mon. the 19th, 3-4 and 4-5. as some have said the sore throat is so bad i'm useing the ice cream and noni juice, (the best) and only cure and after this i'm looking forward to the lumbar surgery. never dealt with 300 lb lineman but landed under 900 lb. horse (ex.jockey) i hope mr.manning uses his head for his brain and never listens to the idiots who would call him a wimp, they have nothing above their spine. the best to all who have gone through any spinal surgeries. jg

September 9, 2011 at 21:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. footdronline

COLTS QUARTERBACK PEYTON MANNING UNDERWENT SPINE SURGERY. Learn more about the surgery at: http://bit.ly/oelk9p

September 9, 2011 at 21:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Ronald Raygun

indianapolis was lucky to have manning whether he comes back or has to retire. hes probably the GOAT of our generation

September 9, 2011 at 21:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. lagnafe

I had the same surgury at the c3-4 (which is in the neck area) level last Dec 2010 almost 3 months to the day after surgury I trying to get back in shape and I was doing light squats and something popped in my my neck what I did was I broke the bone graft free had to have it re-done I would say I have lost 25% movement left and right and looking down for extended periods of times it starts to hurt don't count on him coming back any time soon even maybe ever....

September 9, 2011 at 22:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Kona

It's too bad he didn't get results as good as others have, but everyone is unique and hopefully this last one wil correct the problem. I'd much rather have this surgery than a laminectomy/posterior fusion. This surgery does increase the risk of further neck injury above and below the fused segments and also probable disc degeneration in those adjacent discs .

September 9, 2011 at 22:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Marine5484

Good luck to Peyton and his recovery (and i'm a jags fan) lol. If you can't come back and play I have an proposal for you.....when Del Rio losses his job come and be our head coach.

September 10, 2011 at 00:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. thenati

Spoken like the true cheap-shot artists you are. Manning has more class in his little toe than all the redneck Steeler fans put together. (Oh–and it's "have", not "had", moron.)

September 10, 2011 at 00:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Craig

Why is NO ONE discussing the fact that Manning surely knew how seriously hurt he was and yet the Colts sign him to a 90 million package with 40 million guaranteed, and he might not even play this year? You have got to be kidding – this guy just took the Colts and their fans for a complete ride – completely disingenuous beyond belief. He should be treated with total disdain. Chris Johnson, Manning, Brady, et al – and others like Brees not happy as well – when will it ever end. The owners were screwed on this deal. Pro athletes are ruining pro sports.

September 10, 2011 at 00:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. LADRIKIUS

September 10, 2011 at 00:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gorakh

Cashflowmantra: I totally agree. Addai just doesn't get it done as an RB, and hasn't for a lcpuoe of years.Echo: Painter is growing on me (I actually started him this last week on my fantasy team as my main QB was on a bye), but he can't finish games either. If you're up by double-digits in the first half to the CHIEFS(!) and can't win the game, something isn't right.PKamp3: One has to think that getting lucky with Luck is part of this season's poor showing. You hate to see a team phone it in, but that's kind of how it looks.

March 5, 2012 at 21:56 | Report abuse |
  29. JimiJoni

I had 2 anterior diskectomy surgies by 2 top neuro surgeons. My first at USC in 2003 and my second at UCLA in 2006. Although the bulk of my shoulder pain is gone, I still wake up every morning feeling like someone is electrocuting me from the inside out. I dont want to worry anyone looking at having this procedure done as there are many successful cases of this common procedure performed every year. Unfortunately in my case and several years later, I'm still dealing with pain and discomfort. In short, any surgery that involves the spinal cord is very serious and can have long term complications, not to mention pain I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy. Good luck Payton, hope things work out in your favor, JJ

September 10, 2011 at 03:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. The_Mick

LADRIKIUS wrote: "PM did NOT undergo "surgery for a neck injury on Thursday". He underwent surgery Thursday for a neck injury. In other words, the surgery, not the injury, occurred on Thursday. How hard was that? Come on writers, you can do it (I hope). JEEZ!" +++++ Actually, he underwent surgery Thursday TO REPAIR a neck injury. Come on, Lad, you can do it!

September 10, 2011 at 06:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. mag

pity, another article that fails to mention which 2 vertebrae were fused.

September 10, 2011 at 23:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. MEDIC FOR HIRE

I TAKE IT THE SURGEON RELIZES THAT THERES ONLY SO MUCH A BODY CAN DO TO HEAL ITSELF

September 11, 2011 at 02:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. B

I just had an eight level fusion done at the end of June. I'm from Indiana and had it done at St. Vincent's in Indianapolis. My bets are that Peyton had his surgery done there as well. He has obviously donated a lot of money to them (their children's hospital is named after him), and they have a dedicated spine wing that is EXCELLENT. Best hospital stay I've ever had. My surgeon was from OrthoIndy, who are some of the leaders in spine surgery and are continuously developing new techniques and instrumentation. I notice a lot of people talking about the residual pain left from taking a bone graft from the hip... Everyone I've spoken to at OrthoIndy and St. Vincent's says that that is no longer practiced. They now take the bone graft from your own spine (by clipping off the lamina– the part of the vertebrae that sticks out toward your back), which has no lasting effects. This was the harvest technique for my surgery and I have absolutely no pain from it.

September 11, 2011 at 20:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. arch

If he were smart he would retire. He has plenty of money. He has won awards so he doesn't need to win anymore of them. He has won a super bowl, etc.... If he didn't have such an ego he would realize that it might be a good time to go into something different so not to damage his spine anymore. There is always that chance that the operation does not fix the problem. What is bad is the fact that they have to fuse that area and if he were to get hit at just the right place it could do some very serious damage. No reason to go there so just retire and enjoy life at an early age. Just a thought!

September 12, 2011 at 01:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. guptafan

" i perform these procedures all the time" the disc will be replaced with another SORT of substace-huh? youz a geenus

September 12, 2011 at 07:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. John Marshall

He is all washed up, but is too dumb to know it. A giant ego can lead to giant disasters. I fear he is on the road to something horrible. And, it will all be for nothing. He needs to feed his ego some other way.

September 17, 2011 at 15:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Medical Holocaust

Peyton should not have trusted an American doctor. Fusions are barbaric and they have a high failure rate. They destroy the adjacent disks and cause a cascade of osteoarthritis .

What he needs to do is to go to the UK and see Nick Booree MD and get a disk called the Neo Disk or the M6 disk. It acts like a real disk. It is motion preserving and shock absorbing. He needs a revision surgery because the joker who did his surgery screwed up.

Peyton should also see the chiropractor that helped Montel Williams. I can tell my looking at Peyton that he is in head forward position. He is because his C-1 vertebra AKA atlas is subluxated or slightly dislocated. The muscles in the spine fight too establish orthogonality but with the head not on straight he's going to have pain and the American MD are too stupid and pig headed to learn the biomechanics of the spine and the neurology that controls it.

Look at picture of Manning. He has lost the lodorsis curve in his C-spine and his head is way forward. He has what is called military neck.

The only reason the US still does fusions is because the greedy doctors her make more money doing then then procedures that work right the first time.

February 25, 2012 at 03:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Birgit

Father forgive them they know not what they do. This raelly raelly raelly applies to our leaders now so can you please hold off on the floods and famines and plagues for a bit till we can do something about these peoplePLLEASE Were sorry we let the enemy in our house in the first place but you know how hard it is to get unwanted guests out. So just give us a bit longer to get your country back. Thank You.AMEN

March 5, 2012 at 21:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Mehndi Rao

I love peyton manning! His spinal fusion surgery should not be cause for all this back talk!!

April 1, 2012 at 19:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. wild dagga

Terrific work! This is the kind of info that should be shared around the net. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this publish higher! Come on over and seek advice from my web site . Thank you =)

April 6, 2012 at 03:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. super bowl 104

question how long has it been scince the surgery and how long did your surgery take.

April 17, 2012 at 11:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. auto mieten

Amazing things here. I'm very glad to peer your article. Thanks so much and I am having a look ahead to contact you. Will you please drop me a mail?

April 22, 2012 at 13:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. carpal tunnel surgery

We are a gaggle of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with useful information to work on. You have done an impressive task and our entire community will likely be thankful to you.

May 5, 2012 at 16:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. latin american cupid

It's truly a great and helpful piece of information. I am satisfied that you just shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

May 5, 2012 at 20:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. 20a fuse

I'll right away take hold of your rss as I can not to find your e-mail subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please allow me know so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

May 8, 2012 at 03:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. rédaction web

It is the best time to make a few plans for the long run and it's time to be happy. I've learn this submit and if I may just I wish to suggest you few attention-grabbing things or advice. Perhaps you could write subsequent articles regarding this article. I desire to learn more issues about it!

May 17, 2012 at 16:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. web redaction

Fantastic points altogether, you just won a emblem new reader. What would you recommend in regards to your post that you simply made a few days in the past? Any sure?

May 26, 2012 at 15:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. I am exploring the Internet as I never have before. I have more time since I reitred. I can see that there is a rich diversity in the blogs I am reading and I am trying to leave some comment whereever I visit. You have made your blog more interesting than

Excellent blog here! Also your site lots up very fast! What host are you the use of? Can I am getting your associate link to your host? I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

June 14, 2012 at 22:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Gratis På Nettet

Awesome things here. I am very glad to peer your post. Thanks so much and I am having a look forward to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

July 11, 2012 at 16:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Luca

The Kestel family is fincsoug on you and your recovery every day, Kevin! Your friendship to Steven has always been a blessing for our family. Be strong, have faith, and bathe yourself in the love of your family and friends to find that strength and will to create a miracle healing!

September 11, 2012 at 22:16 | Report abuse |
  50. regina

I've got this surgery in 2007 and untill now I'm not good and always feel pain can't do anything I don't recomand this surgery for anybody.

September 10, 2012 at 22:08 | Report abuse | Reply