home
RSS
Study: Kids exposed to secondhand smoke miss more school
September 5th, 2011

Study: Kids exposed to secondhand smoke miss more school

Children who live with smokers miss more school due to illness than those who live in households with non-smokers, according to a new study published in the journal Pediatrics.

Researchers analyzed data from the 2005 National Health Interview Survey that tracked, among other things, how many days of school children aged 6 to11 missed and the reason for their absence.

They found children living with one or more smokers in the home missed one to two more days of school per year on average, than those who lived with non-smokers.  The research suggests that families could reduce absenteeism by 24 to 34 % if smoking was eliminated from their households.

According to the study, about one third of children in the United States live with a smoker. Among children aged 3 to 11, at least 56% have detectable levels of a chemical called serum cotinine, an indication of tobacco smoke exposure. Cotinine is a breakdown of nicotine and can be measured by analyzing levels in the blood, urine or saliva. Researchers say this establishes a link between household smoking and two specific respiratory illnesses.

"Kids living with people smoking in the home were more likely to have ear infections and chest colds," Dr. Douglas Levy, the study's principal investigator and Assistant in Health Care Policy at the Mongan Institute for Health Policy said. "Among kids who were living with smokers, a quarter to one-third of the days they missed from school can be attributed to the fact that they live with someone who smokes in the home."

The study found that having multiple smokers in the home resulted in more  illnesses reported and days of school missed. For example, a child living with 2 or more adult smokers had more ear infections– three or more–in a year, than a child living with no smokers or even just one smoker.

An increase in illness was not the only consequence smoking at homr. Levy says there is a financial burden as well because parents or other caregivers must take off work to care for sick children. "When kids are home from school, particularly young kids, the cost overall is $227 million dollars per year. All due to the extra days that we see kids missing school because of secondhand smoke exposure," said Levy.

Adults in non-smoking households were more educated, had higher incomes and were more likely to be Hispanic the study found. Homes with 2 or more smokers also had higher incomes but were more often white. About half the kids in the study that lived with a smoker were from low-income households Levy said. His advice to parents? "If you are a smoker do not smoke around your kids whether it be at home or in the car. Even better advice is to try to quit smoking."

The study was not without limitations. Children over 12 were excluded from the study because of the possibility that exposure could be due to their own smoking. And study authors acknowldege their measure of tobacco smoke exposure was not precise and they were not able to measure exposure that might have happened outside of the home.

1. Audrey Silk

The whole thing screams agenda-driven invention. It's another one of the anti-smoker researchers, funded by an anti-smoking org whose mission statement says it's goal is to find researchers who will conduct studies that advance the movement (is that the new "science"?), thinking of a new angle to add to the "mountain of evidence" (that mirror this one) and THEN filling in the blanks. I'm sorry, the ends do not justify the means of what amounts to no more than a moral crusade. This degradation of science harms the entire field. Where there is no ethics there is no faith.

Founder, Citizens Lobbying Against Smoker Harassment (C.L.A.S.H.)

September 5, 2011 at 02:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So, dear, you believe that exposing children to indoor smoke is a good thing? That children who "benefit" thus are healthier? Can you prove it?

Yeah, I thought not.

Grow a brain. Your addiction harms others.

September 5, 2011 at 09:24 | Report abuse |
    • RocketJL

Thank goodness they have discovered this information. I missed that they are doing something to help these children and their parents. Just think, those low-lifes that smoke will go on and on, over taxing our medical system. Now that we know what the only cause for medical problems in these homes is, we can disregard any other cause factor for illnesses or/and death. No cancer, no colds, no broken bones, long live non-smokers.

September 5, 2011 at 11:24 | Report abuse |
    • mkjp

By now it is absolutely common sense that the chemicals in cigarettes are harmful both to the person actively smoking cigarettes as well as anyone who is in an enclosed space with someone smoking cigarettes for an extended time. That means that kids in a house with someone who smokes in that house every day are being exposed to the same chemicals which we know definitively cause health problems. If you want to smoke, go for it. Don't come crawling to me wanting my tax dollars to pay for your lung surgery later, though. And stop refusing to admit that if you blow smoke in the face of your child with every cigarette that you are harming them as well. But yeas, by all means continue to waste all of your money on cigarettes.

September 5, 2011 at 12:17 | Report abuse |
    • Krush

@Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son and mkjp

The "science" in this research is complete sewage. No emperical method is described in the article and the "researchers" admit that they can't accurately measure the chemical levels in the subjects they studied. I'll bet you're both 50 pounds over weight and in favor of legalizing the smoking of marijuana for "medicine". When all of you pothead lard butts give up the bong, loose the extra weight, and go to medical school, then I'll give your comments some kind of credibility. In the mean time, shut your pie holes, hypocrites!

September 5, 2011 at 12:43 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Aahhahhhahha! Yes, and when you learn to spell "empirical" and "lose", I'll give you the time of day. I'm in excellent health–I go to a gym 4 times a week and wear a size 6. I don't smoke any substances at all, but do think that medical marijuana has its uses.

Thanks for playing, dear.

September 5, 2011 at 13:09 | Report abuse |
    • mkjp

@Krush I bike 6 miles a day 5 days a week on top of going to the gym at least 4 days a week for a minimum of 45 minutes of combined cardio and weight training. and I've never smoked anything in my life. Got any more lies to spread besides that smoking cigarettes is totally harmless?

September 5, 2011 at 13:49 | Report abuse |
    • MeP

I hated when my dad smoked and it caused a lot of tension between us. He thought I didn't care about him, but the truth was that his smoking burned my eyes and throat so much I had to avoid being around him. Having asthma didn't help at all, I've heard from various Dr's that my asthma was caused by my dads smoking and heard from others that its genetic. Either way, his smoking hurt our relationship because I couldn't breath around him. I remember one time he asked me if I hated him, and when I responded that I hated the smoke he took it as the same thing. I have a lot of resentment towards smoking and smokers now.

September 6, 2011 at 03:22 | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

I don't smoke, and I also think this study is probably political and that they went looking for what they found. Get off people's backs about smoking. Find a new hobby. Which religious denomination has children who miss the most school?

September 6, 2011 at 11:30 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The Church of Morons, Bubba. The one you belong to.

September 6, 2011 at 11:44 | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

Boy, Tom's really got a hate-on about people who smoke. I don't smoke or go to moron church, Tom. I'm also no fan of people being told what they can do in their own homes. Did a cigarette smoker do your sister or something, Tom? Why all the venom?

September 6, 2011 at 11:55 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Who told you what you can do in your home, dipwad?

I have no hatred for smokers. I just dislike bombastic boobs like you.

September 6, 2011 at 12:02 | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

Tom, you're a name-calling moron. Nothing you say is in any way helpful or even sane. Even your name is childish; did your nanny pick it out for you?

September 6, 2011 at 16:01 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Looks like I hit a nerve with Bubba. Poor widdle fella.

September 6, 2011 at 18:46 | Report abuse |
  2. Article Health News

Really pathetic if we look at current conditions, a small boy had dared to smoke, it all began from the influence of the environment, please keep our children not to fall on the ill effects of cigarettes

September 5, 2011 at 05:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. kev

i was one of those kids. i am 38 now, and this is an accurate report. i was a serious asthmatoc with constant hospitalization due to my mothers indoor chain smoking. yeah, life was hell. smoking is foul, and people who smoke in inclosed spaces (homes, cars)should be charged with child abuse. ignorant comments against this articleare apparently submitted by people like my mother...

September 5, 2011 at 09:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nitewing

So, which do you hate more – smoking or your mother? One certainly can't tell form your comment.

September 6, 2011 at 13:42 | Report abuse |
  4. fsand

Absolutely not true.This is nothing more than junk science posing as real facts.A biased article that is typical from left wing loons.

September 5, 2011 at 09:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mkjp

A typical uneducated retort that refuses to believe pure fact from a typical right wing extremist who lets Rush Limbaugh do all of their thinking for them.

September 5, 2011 at 12:20 | Report abuse |
  5. kev

sorry for the tyos, i am using my smartphone.

September 5, 2011 at 09:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. kev

let the trolling begin.

September 5, 2011 at 09:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. AK Girl

I agree with Audrey; although I do not smoke, I believe that any group who takes away liberties of other human beings should be ashamed and stopped if possible. What gives one group of people the right to dictate moral choice to another group of people?

September 5, 2011 at 09:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Your right to swing your arm ends when it hits my nose.

See if you can figure out what that means.

September 5, 2011 at 09:34 | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

Tom, you actually support making it illegal to smoke tobacco? You know, my arm can swing a lot closer to you than just your nose. See if you can figure out the deep implications of THAT.

September 6, 2011 at 11:33 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You aren't terribly bright, are you?

September 6, 2011 at 11:41 | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

Actually, Tom, I AM terribly bright. I'm a black sheep among the other rednecks because I actually read a book once, and I have been known to have an original thought once in a while. You, on the other hand, are most famous for having 'stole a pig,' which is something of which you must be very proud. Ah, if I could only list 'pig thief' among my multifarious accomplishments! Seriously though, did the cool kids who smoked gang up and steal your lunch money or something?

September 6, 2011 at 12:07 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yeah, you're really a smart guy. I'm sure everyone's impressed.

September 6, 2011 at 18:48 | Report abuse |
    • Chibu

But then what of the people who want slavery to come back? And there are. Is it then unfair to "dictate moral choice to another group of people." I don't support or agree with smoking, and I know that people will mostly do as they please. I don't think that people should always try to limit other people; but I do think that it's important to think about other people in our action. If your child continuously has medical issues, and their doctor says that your smoking is helping to cause more problems, it's your responsibility to change your actions and habits. Don't you think?

September 7, 2011 at 21:40 | Report abuse |
  8. kev

It's a sad day when regular folk defend their obviously destructive drug habit. Must be some secret chemical added by the tobacco companies, approved by the FDA of course...eeeeevil for huge profits.

September 5, 2011 at 09:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jangocat

What's even sadder is this country has sunk to the point where self righteous people like yourself would presume to tell other people how to live. Got any obese people in your family? Obesity is the number one health cost and most destructive behavior in this country right now. Maybe we need to ban all fatty food and implement mandatory exercise? Sound absurd? So does telling other people they shouldn't smoke or drink alcohol because it's bad for them or their family. Live your own life and mind your own business how others live theirs.

September 5, 2011 at 10:58 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Your being fat doesn't affect my health. Your second-hand smoke does.

September 5, 2011 at 12:34 | Report abuse |
    • MeP

My being fat (as if I would let myself be so) doesn't hurt you, but your drunk driving can hurt or kill me. I don't care if you fry ur brain smoking meth, or make ur lungs black with cancer from cigarettes, I just don't want to use tax payer dollars or waste good lungs on a smoker who would waste the good lungs that would go towards someone who values life more. I'm tired of drunk drivers without insurance. aggressive meth heads causing problems at work, inhaling smoke and tasting second hand smoke when I eat at a restaurant, and going to the hospital when a pothead comes near me and I have to go to the hospital because I have an allergic reaction and I'm out of epi to open my throat. People say that drugs don't hurt people but all I've ever had were negative experiences with other people who decide to make drug addiction a lifestyle choice.

September 6, 2011 at 03:39 | Report abuse |
    • thizz

MeP- so let me get this straight, you are allergic to potheads? Do you start breaking out in hives or something if you are within a 5 foot radius? Sounds kind of ridiculous to me.

September 6, 2011 at 10:46 | Report abuse |
    • Chibu

I agree with Jangocat, I think that America should banded all fatty food and such alike. I also disagree with you. I think that it's important that you tell an a person that their drinking causes them to abuse their family. It's not absurd, to tell someone how living a certain can harm the people they know and love( or hate), you could be helping them or making them think about the people around them. I don't mind being called absurd or any other thing. If my husband's smoking is causing problems in our children, I'm going to say something.

September 7, 2011 at 21:52 | Report abuse |
  9. Rene

I had a patient dying from lung cancer, who although she never smoked, lived for 50+ years with her husband who was a heavy smoker. He died first from lung cancer, and she died later from second hand smoke. Working as a nurse, the children I saw the most come in for ear infections, bronchial problems, etc. had mothers/fathers who smoked. There is a link with out a doubt!!!

September 5, 2011 at 11:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MeP

My father was a chronic smoker, two-three packs a day, and I have had asthma, bronchitis, ear infections, and a broken relationship with my father. Funny thing is when I went into foster care that all went away, except for the relationship part.

September 6, 2011 at 03:42 | Report abuse |
  10. kev

to jangocat...um fat people do not produce second hand fat that is inhaled by others...so uh, i hope you are able to quit your filthy drug habit and get healthy. or at least get a better prosmoking argument. pro smoking, what a concept in a supposedly informed intelligent society.

September 5, 2011 at 11:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Pete

Well it's really great to see that some smokers haven't taken the long weekend off and are continuing their life of denial. Harm yourself if you wish but leave the kids out of it. Why would anyone think that breathing the same chemicals that make a smoker ill would somehow be fine for a child to be inhaling all day. It's only common sense and just confirms the findings of many other studies done over many years.

September 5, 2011 at 12:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mkjp

These may be the same people who, when they end up with lung cancer after a lifetime of choosing to smoke and getting mad at people who try to convince them to stop, will sue the tobacco companies. All of a sudden there will have been a mysterious third party who held each and every cigarette in their mouth and forced them to inhale if it means they make a million dollars.

September 5, 2011 at 12:26 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I wonder how Audrey and Krush the Brilliant would feel about allowing teachers to smoke in school buildings. How about in the classroom? Hey, if it's good enough for kids to be exposed at home, why not everywhere?

September 5, 2011 at 13:34 | Report abuse |
  12. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Still waiting for Audrey and her cheerleaders to prove that second-hand smoke isn't harmful to others. Maybe Krush can do it. Oh, wait, Krush doesn't even know the difference between "lose" and "loose".

September 5, 2011 at 13:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Phil

Your a sad excuse for a human.

September 6, 2011 at 15:10 | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

Hey Tom, I'll have fries with my Big Mac. Make it snappy.

September 6, 2011 at 16:02 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Try to figure out how to use "your" and "you're", Phil. That should keep you busy for another 36 hours, at least. Maybe Bubba can help you out. He's a real smart fella, you know. He says so all the time.

September 6, 2011 at 18:50 | Report abuse |
  13. snowbird

A small amount of smoke from a handful of crushed leaves and some paper, that is mixed with the air of a
    decently ventilated venue is harmfull to your health??
    If any body believes that, then I have some ocean-front property in Ohio I would like to sell me

September 5, 2011 at 13:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mkjp

really? crushed leaves? wow are you about 25 years behind the times. everyone else on this planet knows there are chemicals in cigarettes.

September 5, 2011 at 13:51 | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

mk, the chemicals are just to keep it burning without constant relighting. If you dissolved a pack of cigs in alcohol and then boiled off the alcohol, you'd have enough nicotine to kill a man. It's the nicotine, not anything else.

September 6, 2011 at 13:54 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

It doesn't matter what the chemicals are for, Bubba. The fact is that they're there and they're harmful. Do you live under a rock?

September 6, 2011 at 20:03 | Report abuse |
  14. dx2718

Like most studies of this nature, cause/effect has not been determined conclusively. It could be that parents who smoke are also less likely to take other precautions with their children that would prevent minor illnesses. It could also be that non-smokers, since they tend to be more highly educated, value school enough to send their kids to school even when they are sick, whereas less-educated parents are more likely to keep their kids home from school when they are sick because they are less worried about missing homework, classes, etc.

September 5, 2011 at 13:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike H

Anyone oblivious enough to smoke around children probably does other things to endanger them and make them ill. I know that when I was a kid I preferred to play outside in sub-zero temperatures rather than breathe in clouds of smoke while trying to read or watch television through teary eyes. I rarely missed any school though. I looked forward to leaving a smoky house every morning.

September 6, 2011 at 03:51 | Report abuse |
  15. Modern Philosophy

I skip even when I'm not sick so these conclusions are false.

September 5, 2011 at 14:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chibu

Just because YOU Cut and skip class doesn't mean that this report is false. Just saying.

September 7, 2011 at 21:58 | Report abuse |
  16. Asmokerfornow

So if I stop smoking that will some how affect my income? But I didn't smoke while I was in college...how does that change the study? My son never misses school but I think a greater concern is all the alcoholic parents who kids are missing...everything because of that addiction. Smoking is not good but there are other things to be more worried about that are of even greater concern.

September 5, 2011 at 14:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MaryLand

The study didn't say that smoking was the CAUSE of higher income. Of course many factors affect school attendance. The study simply found that the children of smokers missed school more frequently. It didn't make an assumption that the fact that the parents smoked was the ONLY reason.

What other things should be cause more worry than the effects of second-hand smoke?

I find it interesting that so many people are quick to blame teachers for the problems with education in this country, but the moment a study shows a correlation between second-hand smoke and absenteeism (which is a major factor in a child's education), the screeching of denial is deafening.

September 5, 2011 at 15:20 | Report abuse |
  17. sam

This is a LIE,I lived with smokers all my childhood life and my siblings,we never missed school and had to walk to school not ride a Bus or in a CADDILAC,We had nothing handed to us,our lungs are in excellent shape to this day,I ran croos country and was nebver out of breath nor my siblings,And at 68 Years Old I can sill run with all my aches and pains,SO this disporoves the lie THAT Kids Are late to school because of smokers,If anything KIds are late because of drunk parents,kids are molested,beat,tortured by drunk parents,adn so are the SPOUSES,Smoking dont Cause people to act like ANIMALS when they Slam down a few beers,or take a shot of liquor,or a glass of wine THEY ARE DEADLY To EACH OTHER,now the reason i know this is The Cost of Just the USE OF ALCOHOL and all of the ABOVE is : $ 280 Billion a Year.....ANY QUESTIONS ? Stop blaming smokers,They dont KILL,Harm,or beat their SPouses Like ALCOHOL DOES.........

September 5, 2011 at 17:45 | Report abuse | Reply

Wow. Just wow.

September 5, 2011 at 19:50 | Report abuse |
    • Mike H

Great satire ! You did some impressive book learnin' there buddy. The study wasn't alleging a link to brain damage so you needn't have gone so over the top.

September 6, 2011 at 03:55 | Report abuse |
    • treetop45

Sam, Sam, Sam...what more can I say?
      This is a brilliant piece, and I agree.
      I smoke and did when my kids were teens.
      They were exposed to their Dad's Smoking, when I was still married to him..
      However, all three, in their early and mid 40's now, are well and working, and perkin'...didn't miss school as kids, and have actually never known my grown children to miss work, due illness, today. The oldest celebrating her 25th Work Anniv. this very day.
      I agree on the alcohol part..never knew of a Smoker, who made cause for divorce, as with both of my daughters..alcohol, yes, smoke, NO.
      I am 66, I still smoke, but, never inside, never with anyone in the vicinity.
      I appreciate your comments, more than I can say.
      PS: Guess you can tell, by my rambling, right? 🙂 Thanks for allowing me to vent.
      Sincerely,
      Lauraj

September 6, 2011 at 12:13 | Report abuse |
  18. sam

Yes and another thing,To set the record straight there are Over 500 Billion Alcoholic beverages consumed per year in the USA,And thats where the $ 280 Billion in costs Come from,Not FROM SMOKING nor PASSIVE SMOKE

September 5, 2011 at 17:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. sam

ANd one more thing,Maybe you older generation may remember when a child had an earache they would blow smoke into it and Guess what ?

September 5, 2011 at 17:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. sam

Thanks Krush

September 5, 2011 at 17:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hintofgray

sam and krush, sitting in a tree, smokin' all day long......

September 5, 2011 at 21:48 | Report abuse |
  21. sam

Wednesday, March 12, 2008British Medical Journal & WHO conclude secondhand smoke "health hazard" claims are greatly exaggerated The BMJ published report can be found here:http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/326/7398/1057And concludes:The results do not support a causal relation between environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality. The association between exposure to environmental tobacco smoke and coronary heart disease and lung cancer may be considerably weaker than generally believed.What makes this study more significant than any other is that it took place over a 39 year period, and studied the results of non-smokers who lived with smokers..... meaning these non-smokers were exposed to secondhand smoke up to 24 hours per day; 365 days per year for 39 years. And there was still no relation between environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality.This report was of course silenced in the media

September 5, 2011 at 17:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Romer

As a student at a low income HS in Charlotte, Many people in my school are exposed to second-hand smoke and several of them smoke regardless. I'm not sure why but those who smoke tend to miss school more. I know that they are smokers because I always over-hear them during class. It's probably because the ones who are exposed to smoke, are always getting sick. I'm assuming that that the smoke somehow lowers there immune systems defense causing them to get sick more. As a result they don't show up to school while, the smoke free are at school receiving an education at school. My main concern is how smokers are only going to increase as time flies bye. I hope that in the near future someone will strive to make a difference so that public schools will have better attendance.

September 5, 2011 at 19:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. MaryLand

If nothing else would convince anyone, reading sam's posts ought to do the trick.

September 5, 2011 at 19:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Robert Wagner

As usual, CNN doesn't bother linking to the report because it knows readers have no interest in reading it. That's too bad, because they would have found:

"Children living with 1 or 2 adults who smoked in the home had 1.06 (95% confidence interval [CI]: 0.54–1.55) and 1.54 (95% CI: 0.95–2.12) more days absent from school per year, respectively, than children living with 0 smokers in the home. "

CI ranges straddling 1.00 mean results are NOT STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT. It's really not hard to understand.

Link to the report:

September 5, 2011 at 22:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hintofgray

Absence from school isn't the only issue; children who live in homes where they're exposed to second-hand smoke have more illnesses than those who don't, regardless of whether those illnesses cause the children to miss school.

Do you really think exposure to second-hand smoke is good for anyone? REALLY?

September 5, 2011 at 22:22 | Report abuse |
    • Mike H

I think you mean if the CI straddles zero. The 95% CI is all in positive territory for both measurements meaning that the measured increases ARE statistically significant. Did your parents smoke around you much?

September 6, 2011 at 04:02 | Report abuse |
  25. health coach

This is a good blog!and thanks God for having this.... as we all know cigarettes are harmful both to the person actively smoking cigarettes as well as anyone who is in an enclosed space with someone smoking cigarettes for an extended time. Aside from this you are also teaching your children to smoke also because they thought that its the right thing to do for they saw it that the adults doing it.lets be ashamed our ourselves and respect those people who are not a fan of cigarette smoking.

September 5, 2011 at 23:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Kathryn Cassidy

I have never smoked in my life[56] and 6 years ago was diagnosed with Emphysema.My mom was a heavy chain smoker.I never hung out with or dated anyone who smoked.I'm guessing mine is from second hand smoke..as my Dr. suggests.

September 6, 2011 at 01:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bubba

Wait, you're 56 and the doc blames your childhood? Get a new doc unless your mom still lives in your house and smokes.

September 6, 2011 at 16:05 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Bubba, if you were any dumber, we'd have to water you.

My father-in-law smoked for 30 years. He didn't develop lung cancer until 20 years after he quit.

Moron.

September 6, 2011 at 18:52 | Report abuse |
  27. Jeff

Another study showed that 100% of parents who choose to continue smoking despite having children choose to miss out on years of their children's life in favor of continuing their drug addiction.

September 6, 2011 at 03:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bubba

78% of internet surveys are made-up quotes. Guess where I got those figures?

September 6, 2011 at 16:04 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

From pulledoutofyerazz dot com.

September 6, 2011 at 19:05 | Report abuse |
  28. Mike H

Many smokers exhibit behaviour similar to alcoholics and drug addicts. They refuse to acknowledge the impact of their addiction on others and otherwise underestimate the costs to society. I've never smoked, but the ability of smokers to rationalize their destructive behaviour indicates to me that nicotine is a much stronger drug than people think, with possibly significant adverse effects on the brain.

September 6, 2011 at 04:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • fronco 123

Well Mike H both of my kids are LAWYERS and im a smoker, what are your kids.

September 6, 2011 at 06:44 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

If they're lawyers, maybe they can teach you what the word "anecdotal" means, sweetie.

September 6, 2011 at 09:36 | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

Nicotine is incredibly addictive and hard to stop using. Even Freud couldn't give up cigars in the end. It's best not to start at all. Once you quit, you have to tough it out for years before your brain stops itching.

September 6, 2011 at 12:21 | Report abuse |
  29. fronco 123

Well that's funny im a smoker and so is my wife and my kids turned out to be both lawyers, my next door neighbors are non smokers and 2 of their kids are in jail for drug sales the other is a used car salesman that was recently arrested for beating his wife, i just cant imagine if i dint smoke what my kids would turn out to be.

September 6, 2011 at 06:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. fronco 123

Years ago i read in the medical journal that second hand smoke gives kids cavities, that was the day i stopped my prescription to the magazine.

September 6, 2011 at 06:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • janadu

Fronco – You've got the right idea and shows your intelligence. These "studies" on really anthing – not just smoking – should be taken with a grain of salt. If you delve in to some of these reports, you'll find the study was with maybe just 50 people in one town. The researchers definitely have an agenda and they're hoping the "herd mentality" people will jump on the bandwagon, which apparently the Medical Journal did and now CNN.

September 6, 2011 at 10:29 | Report abuse |
    • eeyore

If you aren't fronco, you're his boyfriend. He's not intelligent, and neither are you.

September 6, 2011 at 11:33 | Report abuse |
  31. fronco 123

Eggs are bad for you and so the following, meats, milk, coffee, tea, water, fish, playing football, baseball, taking your kids out to lunch at a burger joint. it seems like every other week when the medical journal comes out these experts come up with something new is bad for you. if you think im a liar just pick up a magazine every other week and find out for yourself.

September 6, 2011 at 07:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Onan the Barbarian

No! Magazine reading is the most dangerous of all!

September 6, 2011 at 15:07 | Report abuse |
  32. doug

Yes....smoking is not good for us....but I smoke and have smoked tobacco for 37 yrs....I don't smoke next to my kids or anybody elses. I also tell them to not smoke like I do because it is bad for them and the reason I started smoking was because we didn't have Gummy Bears to chew on at your age.....

September 6, 2011 at 09:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. fronco 123

This study is like saying that smoking gives you a flat tire, now we all know that smoking in front of children is bad, and people with brains don't smoke in front of children. but what i don't understand is they never mention alcohol the number one killer among teens.but these smoking activist are bored and come up with something as stupid and ignorant as this story when our teens are getting killed on highways and smoking is not the one that doing it.

September 6, 2011 at 09:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You're expending a lot of energy and time trying rationalizing. Looks like you might have a guilty conscience.

September 6, 2011 at 09:37 | Report abuse |
    • dom625

Tom, it doesn't appear as if fronco is trying to rationalize anything. A point is being made–and a very valid point at that. I teach high school, and on Monday morning, nobody is bragging about how many cigarettes they smoked over the weekend. It's all about getting drunk and partying; they brag on how many shots they did or how many beers they drank. Teen alcohol usage is a far worse issue than teen smoking, but we still allow beer and liquor advertisements on television and in magazines. When will the government begin enacting outrageous taxes on alcohol in the same way it did cigarettes? When will we see alcohol demonized as cigarettes have been?

September 6, 2011 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

This is one study and it's about cigarettes. Stop attempting to rationalize smoking by pointing out that other things are also harmful.

September 6, 2011 at 10:51 | Report abuse |
    • eeyore

Wow, you're a high school teacher and you are so bad at reading comprehension that you can't figure out that this study wasn't about teenagers smoking? The study was about how parents' smoking affects the school attendance of children under 12.

It has nothing to do with alcohol use among teens or adults and nothing to do with the effects of smoking on smokers themselves.

September 6, 2011 at 11:11 | Report abuse |
    • dom625

No one is rationalizing anything. We are not justifying smoking around your children, nor are we justifying smoking in general. What we are doing is pointing out that there are far worse evils about and the government is turning a blind eye to these evils. Apparently it has become extremely popular to demonize smoking and to persecute those who smoke, but alcohol affects far more people than tobacco. When will the watchdogs start gunning for it?

September 6, 2011 at 11:15 | Report abuse |
    • dom625

Yes, eeyore, I teach high school. And if you were wonderful at reading, you would realize that I was not replying in reference to the article above, nor did I mention it. I was making a point to support fronco's comment.

If I were to reference the article, I would mention that one extra day of missed school each year is statistically irrelevant. The study cannot even prove that it was parental smoking that caused the extra absence; correlation does not equal causation.

September 6, 2011 at 11:19 | Report abuse |
    • eeyore

Didn't say it did. Whether you think it's statistically relevant or not is immaterial. The fact stands that children of smokers missed more school than those of nonsmokers. Whether it's because of their parents smoking or not may be shown in another study. The study didn't claim, nor does the article, that smoking is to blame.

Again, are you implying that second-hand smoke is good for kids? Do you think it's likely that kids of smokers will be absent less than those of non-smokers?

Really, stop straining at a gnat, dude.

Don't you have a class to teach?

September 6, 2011 at 11:25 | Report abuse |
    • eeyore

Your reasoning is absurd. No one claimed that alcohol use was without harm. Stop attempting to sidetrack. This has nothing to do with other assaults on health and trying to derail the discussion renders any argument you have moot.

This isn't about the government. It isn't about alcohol. Knock off the irrelevant comments. If you don't have any other points, best to stop digging. You're already in a hole.

September 6, 2011 at 11:30 | Report abuse |
    • eeyore

The government isn't "turning a blind eye" to alcohol use. It is already taxing alcohol; so are local governments. "Far worse evils"? So smoking isn't killing people? Or is killing people not "evil" enough for you?

Really, "teach", you're a lame debater.

September 6, 2011 at 11:32 | Report abuse |
  34. fronco 123

Just one more thing i like to know, how did they come up with this survey, did children complain in class that the reason im late is because my parents smoke at home, or is it something they pulled out of a hat that these activist came up with. the study does not have a full foundation on how where who; the analysis seems problematic on discovery.

September 6, 2011 at 09:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. janadu

"And study authors acknowldege their measure of tobacco smoke exposure was not precise and they were not able to measure exposure that might have happened outside of the home."

Yeah, I just watched this article being reported on CNN Headline. They of course didn't mention the flawed study. When I viewed it, I immediately smelled a rat, thinking how in the world would a "study of absentee children", know a smoker's habits. So, I got on this site and low and behold, the last sentence tells it all. What a bunch of hooey!

September 6, 2011 at 10:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • eeyore

I'll bet the last sentence is the only part you read.

September 6, 2011 at 11:15 | Report abuse |
  36. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I think it's amusing that so many are bellyaching about the 'flaws' in the study. Does doing so help you feel better about smoking around your kids?

September 6, 2011 at 10:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Conrad Shull

No, the bellyaching isn't about smoking, which is bad, it's about researchers that lie for the anti-smoking "cause" (which started with the fraudulent "landmark" EPA meta-analysis).

September 6, 2011 at 13:44 | Report abuse |
    • Phil

Go away...sounds like your trying to defend a study you conducted. Like most liberals you lie about the facts.

September 6, 2011 at 15:13 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Do point out where any "lying" occurred, you nitwits.

September 6, 2011 at 18:53 | Report abuse |
  37. Bubba

Just wait until my study on the effects of second-hand coffee comes out. It will blow your mind. You coffee drinkers are going to have to stand outside with the smokers next year.

September 6, 2011 at 11:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Just wait until the harmful effects of stupidity come out, Bubba. You'll become illegal.

September 6, 2011 at 11:42 | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

Tom, anyone ever tell you that you are creepy and weird? You are a piece of work for sure. Mother Goose said for you to get back to work.

September 6, 2011 at 13:02 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The fact that you seem to have a problem with me is all the assurance I need that I'm as normal as they come. You're an idiot.

September 6, 2011 at 18:54 | Report abuse |
  38. Lisa

I don't know about this research. My husband and I both used to smoke when our daughter was growing up, and she only missed a total of 2 days of school from K-12. I admit, though, that we limited the smoking to the kitchen and back porch area, as I didn't want her exposed to it. Take from it what you will.

September 6, 2011 at 12:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. SkekLach

Yay! More psuedoscience! Correlation, causation, what's the difference, eh?

September 6, 2011 at 12:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Mother Goose

Tom the Piper's Son and Eeyore both need to get back in the storybook. Bo Peep needs some help.

September 6, 2011 at 14:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Not my problem. You deal with her.

September 6, 2011 at 19:04 | Report abuse |
    • eeyore

Sorry, dear, but Mother Goose and BoPeep mean nothing to me. I'm a creation of A.A. Milne.

September 6, 2011 at 21:06 | Report abuse |
  41. monica

well, when I smoked, first of all I never smoked indoors. But my daughter is rarely sick. maybe once every couple of years. she missed a lot of school because of vacations we may take. not because she was sick.

September 6, 2011 at 15:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sam

Yes,very well said,Its all a LIE about smoking...Trust me,Pot is far more dangerous and alcohol..TWO OF THE SAME like DRUGS

September 7, 2011 at 06:22 | Report abuse |
  42. J. Crobuzon

This all reminds me of a book called HOW TO LIE WITH STATISTICS by Darrell Huff.

September 6, 2011 at 15:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sam

Yes Good onem,They all LIE its a fact.....Its all a lie about passive smoke too

September 7, 2011 at 06:22 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Then you should be able to prove that it's a "lie", sam. You can't, or you'd have done so already.

September 8, 2011 at 18:40 | Report abuse |
  43. fronco 123

I have sympathy for these frustrated critics that that have a cadillac mind with a pinto performance in the medical journal. if you read the research slowly most of their analysis become nonsense and baseless as this study.

September 6, 2011 at 22:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. sam

Better put that POT DOWN TOO THEN:

Marijuana Smoke Contains Higher Levels Of Certain Toxins Than Tobacco Smoke

ScienceDaily (Dec. 18, 2007) — Here's another reason to "keep off the grass." Researchers in Canada report that marijuana smoke contains significantly higher levels of several toxic compounds - including ammonia and hydrogen cyanide - than tobacco smoke and may therefore pose similar health risks.
    David Moir and colleagues note that researchers have conducted extensive studies on the chemical composition of tobacco smoke, which contains a host of toxic substances, including about 50 that can cause cancer. However, there has been relatively little research on the chemical composition of marijuana smoke.
    In this new study, researchers compared marijuana smoke to tobacco smoke, using smoking machines to simulate the smoking habits of users. The scientists found that ammonia levels were 20 times higher in the marijuana smoke than in the tobacco smoke, while hydrogen cyanide, nitric oxide and certain aromatic amines occurred at levels 3-5 times higher in the marijuana smoke, they say. The finding is "important information for public health and communication of the risk related to exposure to such materials," say the researchers.
    The study, "A Comparison of Mainstream and Sidestream Marijuana and Tobacco Cigarette Smoke Produced under Two Machine Smoking Conditions,”

Marijuana Smokers Face Rapid Lung Destruction - As Much As 20 Years Ahead Of Tobacco Smokers
    ScienceDaily (Jan. 27, 2008) — A new study finds that the development of bullous lung disease occurs in marijuana smokers approximately 20 years earlier than tobacco smokers.

September 7, 2011 at 06:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. sam

Is anyone reading this ?

September 7, 2011 at 06:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yes. But then again, I'm laughing at you while I do so.

September 8, 2011 at 18:40 | Report abuse |
  46. rg action

@sam the article you quoted is interesting. The only thing to bring into consideration is the fact that cigarettes contain chemical additives to make them highly addictive. You rarely see a pothead smoking one after another. Even if the effects of marijuana smoke are more dangerous, the frequency is less thus reducing harm. I'm certainly not advocating for pot. I just wanted to point that out. Tobacco is such a huge part of our culture that people glaze over the health warnings and the reality that one in three people who use tobacco will eventually die from tobacco related illness. Tobacco use also decreases your overall quality of life. If people can't quit in order to help their children, maybe they should make the effort now so that when they are senior citizens they don't have to struggle with COPD and Emphysema. I've never heard of someone getting lung cancer, COPD, emphysema, cardiac arrest or stroke from smoking pot. The dangers of smoking cigarettes are very real.

September 7, 2011 at 11:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. DPT 2013

I though this was quite interesting! I myself have never smoked, but I have tried to argue several loved ones into stopping. I wonder how much of an effect an article like this could have on them. Although flaws in the article are apparent, I do believe there are some legitimate points made. Smoking definitely not only affects the smoker, but those around the smoker as well.For many individuals, children are the most important thing in their lives. Knowing that they are negatively affecting the health of the children, and increasing their own costs at the same time, could be just enough inspiration for them to stop. This makes me want to know what other research says about the effects of parents smoking on children, and how it influence both their mental and physical health.

September 7, 2011 at 21:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Robert M. Fried

It is really sad that people smoke by kids. The children are innocent victims of the smoker. There are two main things that the smoker can do to protect the kids: 1) smoke far away from the kids and other people outside, so as not to injure them; and 2) seek help to stop smoking. Visit: http://www.robertfriedhypnosis.com for the best stop smoking with hypnosis in the country.

September 8, 2011 at 12:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. sailor

WOW. I guess ignorance really is a virtue!! Although, some of you are right, and some of you are wrong.
    It has been proven over and over and over again, that, second hand smoke is VERY harmful to anyone
    in direct contact. But, there are cases that a child lived in a *smokers home, and has shown no known
    side effects.

SOOOO. Lets play a game. I am going to load a six shooter with 2 bullets, and im going to point it at your head, and when i pull the trigger, you MAY or MAY NOT be effected. Are you willing to play that game with innocent young children???

If you are, you are a sad individual.
    Thanks!! If any of you disagree with me, I DONT CARE!! I will give my children the best chance to lead healthy lives.

December 14, 2011 at 14:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. aolmmnbjyxhwb

Sundry times, not through how shanghai escorts I do in lay out to look for on the line

July 11, 2012 at 20:43 | Report abuse | Reply