home
RSS
August 16th, 2011

School's daily PE, fresh fruit set kids on a healthy path

Editor's note: Dr. Sanjay Gupta explores the signs, tests and lifestyle changes that could make cardiac problems a thing of the past on "The Last Heart Attack," Sunday at 8 p.m. ET on CNN.

The school board said, "Make health a priority."

With that directive, Cheryl McIntire began the next phase of her career three years ago, as principal of Northeast Elementary Magnet School in Danville, Illinois.

This summer, she flew to New York to receive the first Gold Award given to an elementary school by the Alliance for a Healthier Generation, which has been working with schools since 2006 to fight childhood obesity.

Certain things at Northeast Elementary really stand out. During class, the teachers lead students through a physical activity break, where they do yoga or some simple stretching. They have PE class every single day, and snack on fresh fruits like strawberries, grapes and blueberries.

The Alliance, founded by the Clinton Foundation and the American Heart Association, currently partners with about 12,000 of the nation’s 99,000 elementary and secondary schools to offer free guidance on improving school environments.

Of those 12,000 schools, only three have received the Gold Award.

“If we can measure that we have stopped the rise of young children who are obese and chronically overweight and that it’s going back down, and if we can see a reversal in the number of young people who developed type II diabetes,” former President Bill Clinton tells Dr. Sanjay Gupta, “then I think you will see that will have enormous ramifications through the health care system.”

In the halls of Northeast Elementary, a banner announces the school’s Gold Award status, but the real impact, say administrators, is felt well beyond the campus walls.

“One of the things on our parents' survey is how excited they were about the exposure that our children have had to fruits and vegetables that they have never tasted before,” says  McIntire, “and how much they’ve encouraged their parents when they’re grocery shopping to buy those things at home.”

1. ser

Yay..first poster......that said..
    MMMMMMMMMMMMM taco day at school....

August 16, 2011 at 12:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Jimmy

Obviously this is not news worthy to many people because there are no comments. It's a shame too because these types of programs and education is what helps prevent major issues down the road but no one wants to implement them or take the time to. Too many people push problems and costs down the road and then when it's time to pay – guess what it costs us 10 times or more than it would have if we would have addressed it sooner. This applies to anything in life. Push a problem down the road and it becomes a disaster later. It's a shame that something so simple can reap so many benefits but people are stuck in their ways.

Hopefully more schools offer students better choices or parents send their kids better lunches if good ones are not available in school. There is no reason why a kids lunch should be stuffed with salt, oils, sugars and carry very little nutritional value. It's not cheap to eat healthy...but maybe if they understood the consequences – they might think differently.

August 16, 2011 at 12:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • charls

Wonderful comment; so right.

August 16, 2011 at 21:39 | Report abuse |
  3. Name*Mary

My daughter attendsthis school. We love the wellness program, even the teachers are involved with the wellness, and it has even evolved into our home. Its beneficial to everyone

August 16, 2011 at 12:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mr. Bones

And yet you're not spouting some insane theory about how a school giving your kid a strawberry is some Michelle Obama-designed Bolshevik Plot ™ to control the children's thoughts by not packing them full of the refined sugar and saturated fat they have a "right" to consume every day.

Why...you've just given me actual *hope* that the world has NOT, in fact, been overrun by insane loumouths and hatemongers. I feel like plunking through "If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out" on a banjo now...

August 16, 2011 at 13:00 | Report abuse |
    • Adam

Can't forget we Swim Nights, Fit Night at the track, and Thursday's PTA Fun Night! This school is great.

August 18, 2011 at 21:25 | Report abuse |
  4. mouse

"It's not cheap to eat healthy"..........perhaps not but it's a lot cheaper than diabetes, heart desease, high blood pressure etal......so I spend more on groceries than I probably should since everything I buy is high fiber, whole wheat etc..........benefit? I only see my family doc once a year for my annual.

August 16, 2011 at 12:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. mouse

Moderation and a little time outdoors running around like we used to, parents make sure and keep an eye on your kids at all times, should just about do it!!

August 16, 2011 at 12:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Salop88

I'm just curious why PE was dropped in the first place. We had it in school and probably needed it less that today's kids because we actually played outside every day after school. And soda machines & junk food have no place in the schools, either; feed them a proper balanced hot lunch. BTW, what did they replace PE time with, anyway? Apparently not education, because test scores seem to be dropping.

August 16, 2011 at 13:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tam

They've replaced PE with extra reading and math time in our schools.

August 16, 2011 at 13:43 | Report abuse |
    • Allie

Our school is in rural upper East TN. We have not had fryers in our schools for 7 years here. We buy local produce to serve the kids and all foods are baked (though some are not 'healthy').
      Yes, we still see obesity, but we also see improvement. We do a bulk birthday celebration with frozen yogurt and the teachers take the kids on walks around the school yard while they eat a snack midday. We have a weekly formalized PE, but each child has 90 minutes of physical activity per day.
      If TN can get it done, anyone can.

August 16, 2011 at 13:44 | Report abuse |
    • KYJelly

PE was forced to be dropped by the Liberal Politically Correct crowd because some kids aren't as good as others in sports and the kids not as good suffered from lower self esteem and replaced with "cutural tolerance" classes.

August 16, 2011 at 13:48 | Report abuse |
  7. KYJelly

They also tried and succeded in several schools at banning "tag" and other type games at recess for the same reason.

Of course as usual liberals nerver think of the consequences of there actions they want everyone to feel good about themselves even if it means a lack of excersise that makes kids fat, not to mention that kids need to blow off steam during the day.

August 16, 2011 at 13:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LivingInVA

No, actually, they banned it because parents were suing when their kids got hurt. Instead of saying "kids get hurt" it became "who can we blame".

August 16, 2011 at 14:26 | Report abuse |
    • sqeptiq

Stop the PC rightwing garbage. It has more to do with school administrators scared to death of the dreaded "failing school" designation from No Child Left Behind and budget cuts that have caused staff reductions. Schools get fewer complaints about PE going away that they do Math or English going away. And nobody demands a high stress test of physical competency.

August 16, 2011 at 16:14 | Report abuse |
    • charls

My wife used to work at a school. Budget cuts made by our GOP governor is forcing all sort of cut in school: no art, no music, no PE but plenty of teacher layoffs. Pure and simple, people elect politicians who promise not to raise taxes and they are doing it by cutting money to schools. Wake up American, your sons and daughter; your grandchildren are paying a price for your insistence on no more taxes. You get what you pay for or what you do not pay for. It comes down to money.

August 16, 2011 at 21:46 | Report abuse |
  8. MikeGCNY

Ok. Good idea. But what about the opposite end? I am genetically gifted when it comes to waistline. I have passed those genes to my little girl, who at age 8.5 is 4'4" tall and 52 lbs. High percentile in Height, low percentile in weight. Add in the daily dose of amphetemines (ADHD therapy, Focalin, 10 mg once daily), and you get a kid who grows an inch in 10 months and loses a pound. Where's the public stories about the variance in causes of obesity and the underweight?

BTW, she probably eats 3000 calories a day, starting off the day with a waffle or two, a tall glass of whole chocolate milk with 100 extra calories added in the form of a protien powder, a multivitamin with flouride(tap water here is not flourinated), and her ADHD meds. She also prefers reading and art to running around outside.

August 16, 2011 at 14:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ohgeez

Oh for god sakes...it's still nice to get outside in the sunshine...make friends, learn to work as a team, learn strategy in games or just learn a new game in general...if she's taking ADHD meds, she could probably stand to run around...she isn't going to burn off 1000 calories by running around and playing for 45 mins...That's nice that she prefers art and reading to running around outside...but I would prefer to do a lot of other things besides certain things that aren't enjoyable...Children are growing up more and more babied and most of them have to be hand held in practically every freaking thing they do...Besides a few select schools, I think American education is a jenga tower just waiting to fall...just keep pulling out important, fundamental building blocks and it all goes to hell...I didn't like P.E everyday, but some days it was a lot of fun and it was a nice reward after three days of running or stretching lessons, we got to play a fun game...the world outside is disappearing anyway, might as well make them enjoy it while it lasts.

August 16, 2011 at 16:49 | Report abuse |
    • Kurt Submerged

Why the hell do you give an 8.5 year old with a non-fully-developed personality ADHD meds? You are a terrible parent – deal with your kid's activity level without giving them drugs that even adults shouldn't be taking. These medicines are a revenue earner, not real syndrome treatment.

August 17, 2011 at 12:44 | Report abuse |
  9. larry

If a kid has a Playstation, cable TV, soda pop and a bag of potato chips why would he want to go outside. There is a ton of marketing driven by gigantic profits to push all this junk on kids and none of them mention a word about going outside.

August 17, 2011 at 04:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. JasmineS

Obesity has been an issue for years, however modern conveniences made it better for us to buy larger cars to get one block down to the local store, eat larger portions (or buy one get one free specials) for about the same prices as a smaller portion, and have plenty of burger and chicken places around low income neighborhoods that may supply jobs, but also dangerous foods which damage our health. Why don't Whole Foods and other well known health store chains build a store near the urban areas; they tout being healthy, but I suppose it's for the more affluent people, hmm?

Final comment – before Michelle settled on obesity to help America's children (after Sasha was declared this by her doctor?!), Clinton, Rachel Ray and many others were tackling the problem of obesity; they just didn't have the luxury
    of being on camera or of "media interest" 24/7 as the Obamas are...

August 18, 2011 at 16:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Adam

My Daughter and Step-Son attend this school. Not only is Health and Wellness emphasized, but the children wear Uniforms, go to school year-round, and there is mandatory parental involvement that all of us parents agree to. Danville is most certainly in an economic rut, you can watch "Same Name" the recent episode with Reggie Bush to get an idea, but even in the darkest holes you can always find light, and Dang It... Northeast is a FLOODLIGHT! Go Northeast, and Go Mrs. McIntire!!!! Just don't let her catch you without a Belt or your shirt not tucked in. 🙂

August 18, 2011 at 21:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. ananda

my school had wellness!

August 26, 2011 at 22:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. AUBenjamin

As you know russian national cooking recipes is very popular all over the world!!
    If you like preparing meal at home for you guests sincerely wish you have good cooking!
    Also you can enter to new home website russian traditional cooking – http://www.russcooking.com – russian cooking may be its goona be useful for you and your family.

September 18, 2011 at 08:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Lacey Cantone

Good day! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site? I'm getting fed up of WordPress because I've had issues with hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

December 18, 2020 at 19:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Dirk Terrill

I do enjoy the way you have presented this particular situation and it does provide me some fodder for consideration. Nevertheless, because of just what I have observed, I basically hope when other feedback pack on that individuals remain on point and not embark on a soap box associated with some other news du jour. Still, thank you for this excellent point and while I can not necessarily concur with this in totality, I regard the perspective.

December 25, 2020 at 09:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Tora Stobierski

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you ought to write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo matter but usually folks don't discuss such issues To the next! All the best!!

January 10, 2021 at 16:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. zortilo nrel

An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post!

February 7, 2021 at 16:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Fókuszpályázat pályázatírás Debrecen

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I imply, I know it was my choice to learn, but I truly thought youd have one thing interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you can repair in case you werent too busy in search of attention.

February 9, 2021 at 05:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. brujos gratis en linea

Cool blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog stand out. Please let me know where you got your theme. With thanks

February 11, 2021 at 02:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. ClarkTauts

4cm9e yfjjp vpi8

March 1, 2021 at 10:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Ewa Bernhardt

With almost everything that appears to be developing within this particular subject material, many of your viewpoints tend to be relatively exciting. Nonetheless, I am sorry, because I can not subscribe to your whole plan, all be it exciting none the less. It looks to me that your comments are actually not entirely validated and in simple fact you are generally your self not even entirely certain of your point. In any case I did appreciate examining it.

March 2, 2021 at 11:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Jackqvh

contemporary Punjabi flicks updates

exceptional! Madhur Bhandarkar: my heat up hopes to Saif Ali Khan Kareena Kapoor and also the familiesPunjabi music is inflated match charmlive fake genres not wearing running shoes has ideal song you choose recreate a dark tone of your worktime each. on the same hand or foot, Punjabi movies far too can be found in such variation that all pictures in addition,yet component is likely relatable. on top of it, If you're the one who feels these deeper hitting the ground with the Punjabi delight country, well many of us have you at planned. within Punjabi cinema broadcast on chat.Punjabi music is designed with the amount makes it has appropriate background music to set a dark tone of from training session. on the same side of things, Punjabi pictures a touch too be such supreme variety that all window tinting and also component is perceived relatable. over it, If you're individual who can feel this far experience of the Punjabi film society, than lowering you ahead of needed. received from Punjabi motion picture development on to gossips, music, it is one-stop shop for those Punjabi home theatre strong desires.signed up at present to get the latest scoops, news on favourite actresses cooktop healthy cinema recommendations as a result of perfect reviewers power inside your inbox.

March 3, 2021 at 23:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Eric Creer

As I web site possessor I believe the content matter here is rattling fantastic , appreciate it for your efforts. You should keep it up forever! Best of luck.

March 24, 2021 at 16:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Logan Saadeh

This blog was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I've found something which helped me. Cheers!

March 28, 2021 at 03:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Lorenza Agunos

I’m impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a blog that’s equally educative and amusing, and let me tell you, you've hit the nail on the head. The issue is something that not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about. Now i'm very happy I stumbled across this during my search for something regarding this.

March 31, 2021 at 20:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Boscodrx

romance 's hotest Paradigm

mandarin chinese adult dating Learn beginning your practice meeting Single yous to DateSo single. during the before p. c days the look for a other half left side a person will on few alternate options. you can having mount by a company wokers, responded with an escort classified ads in a town report, or maybe ever come upon some criminal at about a inside a social collecting. routinely, reality, In in relation to process you and your family encountered any particular one man or women personally prior to really knowing these. it is normally real painful!

sadly take away thanks to the Internet devices latamdate.com reviews old obtaining a option is special and in many ways is conceivably more made available prior to now, specific to people that ordinarily potential shy of taking that can initial dive. because quickly connecting equipped with imaginable most people, We can now think about the velocity along with privacy at which we want to get to have an acquaintance else.

For the vast majority of men, The online dating will probably allay you will find many realized hangups in the form of getting in this day. this morning the best way to have the ability to feel comfortable and furthermore low risk from the comfort of our own portable computers as we get to know another person, if you do ever before associated with us get to the final outcome the world is not going in the proper focus ensures that it is as simple as an e-mail or a on the website chat as opposed to a less than comfortable personally potential fight or perhaps a call. indeed, The floor space tend to be coming down on the ability of social as more some individuals than ever before try to find yourself in the single ladies swimming pool area.

after all, While in most cases it has become much better to find occassions on account of the many internet dating dating vendors available nowadays on the web, the application is still a awkward project and one that really needs so much tolerance. But when you put the the choose and also infatuation, now with operate probably an individual that perfect man or women.

April 5, 2021 at 08:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. LorenaBlairjar

Why women should make the first move when internet dating

Follow CNNStory highlightsAn OkCupid study found that women are less likely to message a man firstThe study reveals women who do message first go on a date with a better guy(cnn)Women of late are now "angling in, graduation college at higher rates than men and simply "Running the planet" (If Beyonce is any solution), But there's at least one forum in which they're not taking control: online dating sites.A recent OkCupid study found men tend to send the first message on the dating website than women. This trend was shared among women of various age groups, will likely sent a median of three to four first messages. grownup, on the flip side, Send a median asiandate review of nine to 15 first signals, centered on their age.OkCupid Chief Product Officer Jimena Almendares said the company was surprised by the published information project's results,Fear and rejection are feelings that go with that, Kaiser explained.These findings contrast with the thought that young women are part of a hookup culture that has reached its apex with the advent of dating apps like Tinder. little bit while,pleasant relief, Swiping right as a sign of approval to (specifically) Get a match doesn't take much hard work. distributing the first message, but bear in mind, Seems to be perceived as men's work.A quick perusal of Twitter shows that when others women advocate for making the first move, Others disassociate with it,Why do women need to make the first move? to some degree that's not the woman's job in terms of chivalry (Which this technology lacks)" submitted one woman,Ladies try some fine certain man go get them. Who cares if women aren't suppose to greatest first move, Go get what you look for, another countered. Who cares if women aren suppose to the actual first move, Go get what you want.queen.Almendares said OkCupid analyzed the attractiveness of all the men who women had a conversation with after they sent the first message, And the median appeal of those men was 6.6 percentile points above the appeal of the women sending the message. The site measured attraction as having nice looks, Engaging photos and an fascinating profile,So even if women opt for the best from their inbox, It's likely they are settling and fat loss date Someone less great, Almendares being said. "more, Because only a few women message first, those who do stand out,The study found that the odds would be in support of the brave woman who messages a guy first, Because 30% of those messages turn into a discussion. women are 2.5 times more likely to get a response than men if they initiate contact.Back to facebook, Where some guys complain about how much they wish women would take charge and make the first move.

April 11, 2021 at 17:56 | Report abuse | Reply