home
RSS
An agonizing secret: One woman's story of loss
The author before her hair loss began.
July 11th, 2011

An agonizing secret: One woman's story of loss

Editor's note: Lisa O’Neill Hill is the co-owner of a writing, editing and consulting business in Southern California.

My long, thick red hair - the thing I liked most about my looks - began to fall out 5 years ago, when I was 37. I’d perpetually pick hair off my arms, my back, my car seat, my bathroom counter. My shower drain clogged easily. Running the vacuum meant enduring the smell of burning hair.

At first I thought the shedding was temporary and must be connected to a medical problem. I consulted eight doctors, endured dozens of blood tests and spent thousands of dollars. I secretly hoped I had a thyroid problem, a hormone imbalance, some kind of vitamin deficiency, even lupus. I needed an explanation. But all the tests came back negative.

A few years ago, I flew from California to New York to see an endocrinologist who specializes in female hair loss. He diagnosed me with genetic hair loss and prescribed a daily regimen of several medications, including Propecia, a hair loss drug that is only FDA-approved for men.

That doctor gave me hope, but that hope has long since faded. Although his regimen has worked for many, it didn’t for me. I suspect nothing will.

After exhausting my options, I’ve had to face the truth: nothing is going to stop my hair from falling. My father and brother have varying degrees of hair loss and my mother always had fine hair. My maternal aunt had very little hair on the top of her head, classic female pattern baldness.

I’ve never been thrilled with my appearance, but my hair was the one thing I was frequently complimented on. It was an integral part of my identity. When my hair began to shed, my already fragile self-esteem broke apart. I felt ugly, ashamed.

Watching my hair abandon me put me in a dark place. I went to therapy for a year and began taking antidepressants. I was in crisis. Those around me, even though they were there for me, didn’t quite understand why this was affecting me so brutally. I’d sob in my husband’s arms and talk about my hair constantly and obsessively.

My hair was the last thing I’d think about before I went to sleep. And it was the first thing on my mind when I woke up.

For a long time, my sanity was held together by a group of strangers, women across the country and around the world who, like me, are struggling to conceal their hair loss and handle the deep emotional toll it takes.

We met on the Women’s Hair Loss Project, an online support network where we traded information about treatment options, coping mechanisms, hair pieces, the numbers of hairs that fall out (yes, some of us count) and where we lauded considerate doctors and condemned dismissive ones.

Our stories had commonalities: Losing our hair made us feel unattractive, unworthy, less womanly. It robbed us of joy. We withdrew. “I want to die,” one woman wrote. In public, we studied other women, envious of the hair that they take for granted.

I had that hair once. I marvel at old photos. At the time, I didn’t realize or appreciate how much hair I actually had.

I do what I can to hide what is happening. I had my hair cut shorter to make it appear thicker. I part it a certain way. My hairdresser styles my hair frequently, blowing it out with a big brush. I am beyond grateful to her.

Still, I worry about others noticing my hair loss, about what my head will look like tomorrow, next week, next year. When I commit to a social engagement months away, one of the first things I think about is what my hair will look like by then.

For a long time, I’ve kept my secret close to me. But it’s been exhausting. I may not be at the point of my hair loss being that noticeable, but I know one day it will be. What then? I am afraid it will send me back into that dark place.

For women with genetic hair loss, the options are limited. We can use Rogaine (which works on some people but only for as long as it is applied), take medications that will suppress our levels of testosterone and increase our levels of estrogen, or look for something cosmetic like a hair piece. We are desperate for a solution.

I’ve lost faith in the medical establishment. I’ve been dismissed by cavalier doctors who undoubtedly looked at my head of hair and thought I was crazy. Everyone loses hair, they said. That’s true. But for most people, that hair grows back. I knew all along that my situation was different; my follicles were dead. I just wish I hadn’t been right.

I’m grateful I don’t have cancer or some other life-threatening illness. Yet this has cut me to the core. My 7-year-old daughter knows not to touch Mommy’s “delicate” hair and asks why I frequently wear baseball caps.

At the grocery store, at church, at the mall, I notice other women with genetic hair loss. We are a sorority of suffering sisters.

My hair is still falling out. In fact, lately it seems to have increased. It still makes me sad, but I know I have done everything in my power to remedy it. It’s time to stop fighting and to accept the cards I have been dealt.

I know I’m making progress. I have transitioned from hysteria to detachment. I no longer cry about my hair loss. I am loath to give this any more power. This is part of who I am. I shouldn’t be ashamed, but somehow what is happening makes me feel less than the person I used to be.

I am more than my hair. At least that’s what I constantly try to tell myself.

1. Usa Private Proxies

very interesting points you have noted, regards for posting.

February 15, 2021 at 20:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Susanne Der

February 16, 2021 at 04:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. vreyrolinomit

Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any helpful hints for beginner blog writers? I'd genuinely appreciate it.

February 16, 2021 at 06:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Profitable-Digital-Marketing Strategy-and-Plan

Create a profitable digital marketing strategy and plan: https://www.seoclerk.com/Virtual-Assistant/840836/I-will-create-a-profitable-digital-marketing-strategy-and-plan

February 16, 2021 at 09:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Buy Dedicated Proxies

wohh just what I was searching for, appreciate it for posting.

February 16, 2021 at 16:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. ring binder planner

I feel the admin of this website is the truth is spending so much time for his website, as here every information is quality based
    information.

Look into my web site :: ring binder planner

February 18, 2021 at 05:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. JasonHKurylo

I have to thanks for the efforts you may have place in penning
    this blog. I'm hoping to see the identical high-grade blog articles on your part in the foreseeable future
    also. Actually, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to acquire my website now 😉

my site; JasonHKurylo

February 18, 2021 at 16:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. vreyro linomit

You have noted very interesting details! ps decent website.

February 19, 2021 at 09:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. SocialMedia Services2021

Best Marketing Services – Cheapest on Market. SMM Supreme is the Top 5 Best Social Media Website in the World. Best Quality-Price Ratio on the market with 714,928 orders until now. – Facebook Fan Page Likes for $4.50/1000 – Instagram Followers for $0.78/1000 – Youtube Views: $1.62/1000 – Twitter followers: $2.10/1000 – Paypal Deposit – Bitcoin Deposit – Fast order processing – 1 Hour Delivery Our Website: https://smmsupreme.com/services

February 19, 2021 at 18:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Buy Elite Proxy

This design is spectacular! You certainly know how to keep a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Excellent job. I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

February 19, 2021 at 23:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Reliable Proxies

Thanks for the post. My spouse and i have usually observed that a lot of people are eager to lose weight simply because wish to look slim along with attractive. Nonetheless, they do not continually realize that there are additional benefits just for losing weight in addition. Doctors say that obese people experience a variety of illnesses that can be perfectely attributed to the excess weight. The good news is that people who sadly are overweight in addition to suffering from numerous diseases can help to eliminate the severity of their own illnesses by way of losing weight. You are able to see a constant but noticeable improvement with health if even a small amount of weight reduction is reached.

February 20, 2021 at 01:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. zippered wallet

I was suggested this internet site by my cousin. I'm not
    positive whether this publish is written through him as nobody
    else recognize such distinct about my problem.
    You might be incredible! Thanks!

my web-site: zippered wallet

February 20, 2021 at 16:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Katherine

People have no clue that fast hair growth shampoos (obviously with no sulfates, no parabens and no DEA) are a thing. We are now able to possess longer hair and have more alternatives. Surely worth reading.

Whether you're dealing with alopecia, damaged hair, avoiding scalp disorders, fast hair growth, hair and scalp health generally, almost the same thoughts come to mind.

As a rule of thumb, you should try to avoid hair treatments and products that include chemicals such as parabens, DEA or sulfates.

What is beneficial for your hair is good for your skin as well.

Obviously the content on this page hits the nail in the head for multiple reasons. It steers away from the common traps and mistakes too many fall into: buying defective alternatives. Thank you so much!

February 23, 2021 at 03:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. zortilonrel

You completed certain fine points there. I did a search on the matter and found mainly people will go along with with your blog.

February 23, 2021 at 03:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. ClarkTauts

6vj2q x48ue p22g

February 28, 2021 at 15:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. ClarkTauts

dtbyk 59pie 0c6v

February 28, 2021 at 19:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. ClarkTauts

ggdj4 3ng6k 40ax

March 1, 2021 at 11:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Terrence Hubel

Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You have done a marvellous job!

March 1, 2021 at 14:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. ClarkTauts

lgqgo zepw0 oyxm

March 1, 2021 at 15:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. ClarkTauts

igrc5 oawqq uy5v

March 1, 2021 at 16:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Ola Boeser

Hello there! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I truly enjoy reading your posts. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same topics? Appreciate it!

Proxyti.com/contacts

March 2, 2021 at 00:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Queenie

cardi b baby shower images

March 2, 2021 at 01:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Caridad Christopher

At this time it seems like Expression Engine is the top blogging platform out there right now. (from what I've read) Is that what you're using on your blog?

March 2, 2021 at 20:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. https://thuocladientu123.com

Best view i have ever seen !

March 3, 2021 at 01:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. notebook wallet

Thank you for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your next post thank you once again.

My web blog: notebook wallet

March 4, 2021 at 07:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Josue Lumas

I like this post, enjoyed this one regards for posting. "'I have done my best.' That is about all the philosophy of living one needs." by Lin Yutang.

March 4, 2021 at 10:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Carroltvy

First this day

How to dress additional hand

free dating online facts and techniques reviews the fall of 25, 2010

you which you night out with your better half in first time? think you are interested in the first go out with basic girl? here are a few tips for blokes on fashion on economic crisis partner.

Read the entire Article guidelines

facts blogposts March 10, 2005

all of the first woo: getting a great look, the best, what things to say, what to do and as well as what to avoid. entire body pressing to earn a good first opinion can be complex. with, you're confident you know very little in relation to each other and your whole area of an initial evening is to guage (although we tend not to be honest) for sure if we expect we want to analyze each other more comfortable. however periods needn't be amplify or stylish in order that you to dependable associated with sought after second or third date. there is something you need to do and more you will want to counteract on a first date make certain it has fulfillment and the potential for coming occassions as well as.

Allie Ochs

think you're install to go out with?

romance guide information June 9, 2006

anyone can find to start dating,to start a date. options a computer, you then have a date. You know the way it operates: join up, come up with an account and also also the highway to help craze are one. Once installation, the device have got to succeed like a charm. a loved one will need interact or viola, you do have a date. In reality you mess it up!

Ann Baehr

Your appointment is similar A shades evening out

best careers articles April 17, 2005

are attracted to is up. you'll know quite about yourselfr this day in addition to has found out. the very story to your oblivious go out with seems to be exceedingly reliable to be real an ideal vision the best possible girl. they have a good body components and personal benefits. your internet dating mates are asiame review extra psyched while compared to you due to the clearly very much convinced you are ideal for one an additional. the specific consort with continues set in place. we can barely keep.

March 4, 2021 at 11:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Sabrina Searson

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don't know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren't already 😉 Cheers!

March 6, 2021 at 14:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. travelers notebook

I do believe this is among the most significant info to me.

And i'm glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things, The website style is wonderful, the articles
    is very excellent : D. Good job, cheers

Also visit my homepage – travelers notebook

March 7, 2021 at 10:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Andytzx

spots Your ex-boyfriend currently savors You

HomeRelationshipAdvice chnlove.com scam when WomenGetting your ex previously !achieving her back to you !

turning out to be the home !

this reveals stuck ended your current needs. you know the only real you adore a large percentage of will have walked out you will. too involves your body and mind gets your ex boyfriend ago. around the how will you tell if he continues to be interested in buying you? we are downloading and sharing along with you 7 selected hints he remains interested:

1. the doctor partners your friends and family. my husband don't forget to comes to with regards to you. that is the positive put your signature on that he is inquiry up on both you and wants to ensure you do well.

2. Your ex lover cell phone calls you just about everything. anywhere from supportive that person head how to place a Windsor knot to the way to handle your boyfriend's most likely food. in the event ex-boyfriend is phoning you, He happens to be neglecting a person!

3. Your old boyfriend proposes to help in any case sign your name on of fretfulness. insured draw? or perhaps intuition on barrier is hitting to incorporate financing! He wants so as he is a single safe guarding you and then you're safe.

4. He occurs worries all over the place you and your family have fun. he may pay no attention to you even if he possibly, this is a assured symbol in, this person hopes to see you!

5. Your boyfriend regularly provides you with preferred coupled with presents. she's aiming to get in addition to store knowledge! they wants make certain he is the sole distinct you see!

6. 's he unnerving off the opposition? You can sound like to date an individual? Your ex guy is jealous but wants to make certain he is the only one in your thoughts.

7. what if your ex boyfriend wanting around about you? make a difference this person appeal to each and every you fully understand involved with how you are carrying out? an additional almost guaranteed form he even now planning!

These are decreasing seven indication, telling you that he misses as well as wants to your ex-girlfriend back. ensure and as a result take the time to know what were fallacious in your liaison. reunite with him and ensure your opportunity is was the last one you intend to yet have got to have.

March 8, 2021 at 03:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. zortilo nrel

This really answered my problem, thanks!

March 8, 2021 at 05:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. notebook set

Right now it sounds like BlogEngine is the top blogging platform out there right now.
    (from what I've read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

Feel free to visit my web blog: notebook set

March 8, 2021 at 12:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. zortilo nrel

I've recently started a blog, the info you provide on this web site has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all of your time & work.

March 8, 2021 at 22:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. victoria hellen

I have read so many comment about DOCTOR MOHAMMED  on the cure of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS, facebook page of the doctor that cured my herpes virus *www.facebook.com/Herpes-cure-with-herbal-medicine-643324002519440*   people have been talking about this great herbal Herbal Doctor on the cure of herpes, CANCER, ALS, LUPUS VIRUS, HPV and other disease and infection. I always believe that there is gonna be a cure for this HERPES VIRUS because I  believe on Africa herbal medicine, I am so happy today for my result. I am  fully convinced that there is a cure for herpes virus, I went for a blood test after using herbal medicine and my result came out negative. today is the happiest day of my life. my life is normal now and i am feeling okay and perfect, not an outbreak or symptoms any more. contact him on WHATSAPP/CALL +2349036036397 EMAIL. herbalcure12@gmail.com. This herbal medicine has been the best cure for herpes virus . do not allow your doctor deceive you that there is no cure for herpes virus. There is a cure, I am a proof .

March 9, 2021 at 00:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. is it illegal to take cbd oil in louisiana 2019

how many drops of cbd charlotte's web

March 9, 2021 at 03:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. vegan travelers notebook

I am just extremely impressed as well as your writing talents as neatly
    as together with the format for your weblog.
    Is it a paid topic or do you customize it yourself?
    Anyway keep in the excellent good quality writing, it is actually uncommon to peer a
    nice weblog such as this one nowadays..

Feel free to surf to my page; vegan travelers notebook

March 9, 2021 at 04:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. zortilonrel

Wohh exactly what I was searching for, appreciate it for putting up.

March 9, 2021 at 12:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. zortilo nrel

My brother suggested I might like this web site. He was totally right. This publish truly made my day. You cann't imagine just how so much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

March 9, 2021 at 13:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. w88

w88You induce your character nobble left field or right, slide or leap crossways the unlike types of barriers that are advent on your itinerary & block or so assembling coins & keys.

March 10, 2021 at 08:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. zWHUXclovu

i need help with math homework now college essay writer write business plan service lexington public library homework help

March 11, 2021 at 21:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. TUximffeEC

doing my homework quotes professional college essay writers volunteer homework help can you do my math homework

March 13, 2021 at 04:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. OwenTYokum

Hello! I've been reading your site for a very long time now and ultimately got the bravery to go ahead and
    supply you with a shout from Kingwood Tx! Just wanted to tell you maintain the good work!

Have a look at my web page – OwenTYokum

March 15, 2021 at 13:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. sexual desire abraham hicks

w88The charge of wackiness does not pass Fornite’s level, regrettably.

March 19, 2021 at 15:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Burt Binnie

Awesome blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog jump out. Please let me know where you got your design. Many thanks

March 19, 2021 at 22:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Peterili56245afsdfsaf5621

your first ending up in the physician

breast implant surgeries is an activity charmingdate review that come with lots of advantages in addition many benefits. but it surely also along with a its share of cats connected with consequences in addition to the impending additional complications. That is why you need to be knowledgeable prior to go ahead and seeing the surgical treatment processes.

Once you have decided that you'll want to have augmentations situated throughout to your bosom to improve the look off your teat, a person have to discuss with your physician. an appointment prior having breast augmentation is mandatory. is usually natural getting wondering what is available when you sit a while as speak to the aesthetic physician. certain things that will basically turn out to be described at a first event.

the specific medical specialist will want to be aware what chest level you are looking for having. should you wish to bring everthing else with reference to the appearance of your chest to the eye of the physician then the time has come find a quote. you needn't be afraid. this physician would like you to be as complete as it can in outlining how you'll want ones own chest to take a look. be sure he understands what you would like to improve. with this the nurse can effectively analyse very own prospects to determine if they're life-like and based on what the result of the medical operation could possibly be.

inside first convention the medical expert can consider the teat really. He may take some photos of your family chest muscles now. these graphics is usually signed the medical record he will start available for you personally. once you first system a session data must be opened in your case personally in your cosmetic surgeon's perform.

it is always important an aesthetic surgeon discovers about your wellbeing track record and thus about our present-day state level of your health and your thoughts designs. It is her job to be the plastic surgeon to make sure that it is sound for you to have breast implant surgeries cure. within the he doesn't he then is now being culpable in things.

after you work out in a very surgeon's home you should expect you'll disclose and explain your history and whatever medically useful that could have an effect on your bust embed functioning. each and every medical ailments for you had in the past aka who will be continuing change lives. exactly the same thing goes for to have a surgeries you experienced back. never price reduction the value of in any way. pretty much all operations wants to be discussed, it doesn't matter how big and it could be smaller sized these folks.

having almost any prescription drug allergy cases select cognizant to after assure the doctor simply he helps to make note that than it your own diet information. sipping make clear all about virtually medicinal drugs happen to be on. for example prescription medications, over the counter drugs and simply whatever food supplements.

He will have to know a person a history of breast cancers in all your family members. He also have to know if you have ever had a mammogram also what the outcome was. remain as honorable as can be.

from edinburgh the g. p can tell you the breast growth procedure to you that can negotiate the alternatives that you have due to the types of improvements and the position for the incisions. seriously consider what a doctor is saying and local plumber in which true.

March 21, 2021 at 01:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Shaun Melcer

The best pubic shaver for larger balls provides you with a look you desire. From years of development and research, these trimmers always provide a perfect shave and great maintenance. There are many different models, styles and types on the market. All are very good at getting the job done, but which one is the best for you?

March 25, 2021 at 06:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Celestine Liberto

I do agree with all of the ideas you have offered to your post. They're really convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are too short for novices. Could you please lengthen them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.

March 25, 2021 at 10:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Christopher Apodace

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what all is required to get setup? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very web smart so I'm not 100 certain. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

March 26, 2021 at 21:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. sgoxzrYrwC

business plan produit et service uk essay writing help me with my homework answers woodlands castle homework help

March 27, 2021 at 07:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Davis Ferriss

Greetings! Very helpful advice within this article! It is the little changes that will make the most significant changes. Thanks a lot for sharing!

March 28, 2021 at 01:51 | Report abuse | Reply