home
RSS
Diabetes rate sharply increases
June 27th, 2011

Diabetes rate sharply increases

An estimated 350 million people worldwide have diabetes, according to new research published in the Lancet.  It describes the disease as a “rising global hazard” and says global diabetes rates have doubled from 1980 to 2008.

The study attributes 70% of the increase to population growth and aging – the risk of diabetes increases with age.  But 30% of the additional cases were caused by other risk factors such as increases in obesity, according to the report.

A consortium of researchers, with funding from the World Health Association and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, collected data on fasting blood glucose levels.  That information was obtained from health exam surveys and epidemiological data using advanced statistical methods.  The study included information from 2.7 million participants in almost 200 countries and territories across the globe.

The United States saw fasting glucose levels rise over twice the rate of Western Europe during the three-decade study period. Among high income countries, diabetes and glucose levels were greatest in the United States, Greenland, New Zealand, and Spain.  The United Kingdom had lower rates than most other high income countries, which is somewhat surprising given the U.K.’s obesity epidemic, the study notes. The lowest diabetes rates in wealthy nations were in Netherlands, Austria and France.  The highest rates were seen in Oceania, a region that includes Australia, New Zealand, Melanesia, Polynesia and Micronesia.

Pacific Island nations such as the Marshall Islands have had high growth in diabetes with one in three women and one in four men having diabetes. South Asia, Latin America, North Africa, the Middle East, Central Asia, and the Caribbean also had high diabetes rates.  Areas with lowest prevalence of diabetes include sub-Saharan Africa, and east and southeast Asia.

The study notes that “a recent publication estimated that there were 285 million people with diabetes worldwide in 2010” but the authors explain  the higher number of diabetes cases in this new report  is most likely the result of different methods of analysis and the review of more studies.

Poorly managed diabetes can lead to heart disease and kidney disease, and the associated high health care costs.  The report concludes that countries need to do more to prevent diabetes from developing, by implementing programs that lead to weight management, more exercise, and better nutrition.  More also needs to be done to improve the detection and management of diabetes to prevent long-term side effects.

1. FredD

One way to make problems seem worse is to broaden the definition. What glucose level standard are they using as the threshold for diabetes, and what was used in the past?

June 27, 2011 at 18:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • VelveteenLady

The recommendations from the American Diabetes Association for blood glucose levels are: fasting <100 mg/dl; 2 hours after eating <140 mg/dl; and an A1c of <6. These are the guidelines. These are general guidelines. For patients with comorbid conditions, the recommendations may be a little different, for tighter control.

June 27, 2011 at 19:12 | Report abuse |
    • mom2type1

When someone writes an article about diabetes, they should specify type 1 or type 2. Otherwise people will think they are one and the same. My 4 year old son is diabetic, he has type 1. Type 1 is autoimmune and has NOTHING to do with what he eats or how much he weighs. Type 1 is much more dangerous than type 2. In most cases, people with type 2 can control it with diet and exercise, and in some case, oral medication. In type 1, they have no choice to take insulin shots (or they can have a pump). They will die without insulin shots.

June 27, 2011 at 23:16 | Report abuse |
    • guest

Only sensible statement made. I feel for the patients that have been mis or under informed. I laugh at the on-line ( internet docs) comments and hope that those who truly have concerns , deepen their conversations with their endocrinologists , or get second opinions . This is not harmless banter so, those having issues, DO NOT follow the recommendations made by respondents on this SOUND OFF Those of us who are trained know better than to make any recom. based on these anecdotes. .

June 27, 2011 at 23:46 | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

Yes, it's funny, isn't it, that the recommendations became more stringent right before these epidemics occurred? The whole "pre" category of illnesses makes me grit my teeth. I got a call from my doctor's office because I had "pre-diabetes" - 102 fasting glucose when the cutoff is 100. The last test I had 98. Can we all take note that my level went down, not up, despite zero change on my part? Telling people their level will inevitably go higher each year is irresponsible, unless your purpose is to scare them into "preventative" drug therapy.

June 27, 2011 at 23:55 | Report abuse |
    • guest

@ Sandy et al.. The problem with these type of articles is that if you are able to look close enough you will most likely find the literature quoted was probably funded by a pharmaceutical company. So , again, speak to your health care provider and do not get sucked in to these pseudo studies.

June 28, 2011 at 00:16 | Report abuse |
    • ?

can someone check those numbers against the rising use of corn derivatives (including, but not limited to high fructose corn syrup), and the decline of protein (since the american heart association told us to eat less protein and more carbs)? i would love to see those numbers. my guess is that the american heart association (front organization?) sold us on the fastest way to a heart attack with the blessing of the corn producers and medical profession.

June 28, 2011 at 05:17 | Report abuse |
    • ?

personally, i think their recommendations for T2 is all wrong. i don't think they understand it very well. or they do and won't admit anything to us because they make too much money allowing this to continue. this is my own observation. if my blood sugar gets stuck at a certain number with diet and exercise, it's usually because i have an undiagnosed or misdiagnosed infection (sticks at around 128-ish with yeast infections, and around 103 for strep infections). if i can get rid of those...it usually behaves normally. then the other issues have more to do with allergies...more specifically corn on the allergy route for me...that probably has more to do with blood *pressure*. Blood *sugar* for me (t2) was more about undiagnosed (or misdiagnosed mostly in my case) infections. And testing was poor. Hit or miss. if they even tested. usually not. so, not sure if they are doing that on purpose or if they simply don't have a clue...i suspect some combination of both depending on who you ask. information is hidden from us. so getting high quality information to fight a disease is pretty tough when everyone makes money off of you every step of the way.

June 28, 2011 at 05:25 | Report abuse |
    • AP

Great point! You forgot to factor in that the US has been forcefully shoving HFCS down the world's throat for about 2 decades, and we are just starting to see the problems it will cause. Fat America will eventually lead to fat world. It is HFCS that will do it. I recommended the Purdue study from 2010. Why are the rats so fat?

June 28, 2011 at 08:08 | Report abuse |
    • medtravelmexico

Great information, and also extremely disconcerting. In a world that is so riddled with unpreventable disease, it's difficult to accept the rampant spread of something that is both preventable and treatable. Articles like this are important in raising awareness among our population, and hopefully will compel people to take control of their health and do their best to prevent diabetes in coming generations, as well as our own. I linked this article to my blog, which specifically discusses medical travel to Mexico, but also includes general global health care information–Please check it out! http://www.MedTravelMexico, or find me on Twitter @MedTravelMexico.

June 28, 2011 at 12:27 | Report abuse |
    • joelle esther benyayer

the drugs trafiquant between saint raphael to saint tropez use gaz lmilitary to come inside buiolding drugs everywhere and risk of pollution and air quality conséquances dry skin burns headeach and nausées trouble of the wiew and blood disease the authority sanitaire in var south of france dont seem to react the worst is also with the high temperature the risk of cancer in sea some résidus just like in holland risk for the health of the population we still expecting help from the french ministery of health de la santé not yet double windows easy to see is cannabis everywhere and maroco dealers from holland why no reaction joelle esther benyayer im an artist i got more trouble and everybody else also face dammage more gaz in the place i live joelle esther benyayer

July 3, 2011 at 03:20 | Report abuse |
  2. Phil

I'm not exactly sure what causes diabetes. I thought Asians wouldn't have diabetes because they eat healthy.

June 27, 2011 at 18:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RabiaDiluvio

This is a myth. Asians not only get diabetes (especially now that there is western processed food aplenty, but the rates of stroke have been higher there for a long time.

June 27, 2011 at 19:12 | Report abuse |
    • Meki60

as fewer people eat prok because of religious concerns, diabetes is more likely to occur.

June 27, 2011 at 21:36 | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

A flood of cheaply made highly process foods with various fake sugars have hit the world markets in the past few years...

June 27, 2011 at 23:35 | Report abuse |
    • Type1Pumper

The diabetes they are talking about in this article is Type 2 diabetes, which is usually caused by a combination of obesity and genetics, and these factors can appear in many races. However, as someone else noted here, there are two kinds of diabetes, and it would be nice if journalists learned to differentiate the two. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease. When I was diagnosed, at age 14, I weighed a measly 70+ pounds, was an extremely active teenage (dance lessons almost daily), and I ate a healthy diet. I am so tired of reading about the "diabetes epidemic." It's a type 2 epidemic.

June 27, 2011 at 23:52 | Report abuse |
    • T

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

June 28, 2011 at 08:07 | Report abuse |
    • Edsr

Go out and have a Coke and a Mars bar and a dish of chocolate ice cream!

June 28, 2011 at 14:13 | Report abuse |
  3. RabiaDiluvio

This has a great deal to do with the increased flow of carbonated soft drinks and processed foods to the third world. Time and time again we have seen that when a culture peels away from its indigenous diet and starts adding cheap starches and then sugars and eventually sodas and trans fat laden processed foods and etc. on top of smoking, the diseases of civilization come to them also (high blood pressure, obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, etc.).

June 27, 2011 at 19:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. C.A. Bouthillier

DIABETES is NOT caused by population growth and aging. It is caused by iron poisoning.

June 27, 2011 at 19:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RabiaDiluvio

I hear that if you wear aluminum foil on your head it actually helps with that.

While Iron and copper are involved in diabetes, more of a problem is the chronic magnesium deficiency that ALMOST EVERYONE in the US has to deal with, but especially the obese. There is an issue with Ca/ Mg dysregulation at the root of type 2 diabetes.

June 27, 2011 at 19:18 | Report abuse |
    • JoeyE

LOL! Diabetic has the problem because of high blood sugar! nothing ELSE! Carbohydrate does KILL/cause the diabetic you fool! (to C.A)

June 27, 2011 at 19:59 | Report abuse |
    • RabiaDiluvio

JoeyE: Weird conspiracy website aside, he does have a point. The levels of certain minerals in the body are very very closely tied to hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance.

June 27, 2011 at 21:19 | Report abuse |
    • Edsr

You have lost me.........please iron that out for me!

June 28, 2011 at 14:14 | Report abuse |
  5. OKALH

In my opinion based on experience medical groups like Kaiser Permanente are doing a lousy job of solving the root issues of diabetes management. Maybe they would rather make profits off of treatments than prevent the problems.

June 27, 2011 at 19:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • James

Maybe? Really?

June 27, 2011 at 19:24 | Report abuse |
    • tigger, Oakland, CA

HMO's like Kaiser collect your money up front and whatever is left after they take care of you is profit. The less well you are the more money they have to spend to get you well. They make the most profit by keeping you well. Chronic illnesses cost them big bucks and eat into the bottom line.
      Insurance plans are the opposite. The more Doctor visits you need to get well mean more opportunities to charge your insurance plan for extra visits and for diagnostic testing. Although this will cause your insurance rates to increase, the Doctors and Medical Groups they work for consider that to be your problem, not theirs.

June 27, 2011 at 22:24 | Report abuse |
  6. RRR

When I became Type 1 Diabetic back in 1976 the acceptable fasting blood glucose was 90 – 120. Now, the acceptable fasting blood glucose is 75 – 100. That really changes things quite a bit when determining if a person is Diabetic.

What would happen if Diabetes were actually cured? What would become of Eli Lily, Novo Nordisk, Bayer, MiniMed, The Juvinitle Diabetes Association, Diabetes Care Management Centers and all the other BIG BUSINESS which capitalize off the chronic illnesses, Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes. I wonder wonder wonder

June 27, 2011 at 19:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • James

Luckily, they won't have to worry about that in our lifetimes – not while starchy foods and grains are touted as the "staff of life" and good food like those we evolved with and hunter-gatherers still eat (red meat, fats, etc...) are demonized. Tell someone FAT AND CHOLESTEROL ARE GOOD FOR YOU but PASTA AND BREAD CAUSE INSULIN SPIKES, INSULIN INSENSITIVITY AND, ULTIMATELY, TYPE 2 DIABETES and watch the look of horror as they think of having you committed. "I'll do whatever I need to do to lose weight Doctor, just don't take away my bread and soda!" "Don't worry, that's not what's making you ill – keep on keepin on!"

June 27, 2011 at 19:28 | Report abuse |
    • Russ

FBGL (Fasting Blood Glucose Levels) is not the primary test to diagnose Diabetes Mellitus . It is actually a screening test which if you fail you take a glucose tolerance test in which you eat glucose and blood is drawn after a couple of hours to test the amount of sugar in your blood.

June 27, 2011 at 19:31 | Report abuse |
    • Type 1

I became Type 1 in 1976 as well. I was 13 years old. I think whoever told you that your fasting sugars should be 75-100 needs their head examined.

June 27, 2011 at 19:49 | Report abuse |
    • Type1Too

yeah, i'm gonna have to go with Type1 on this. i was told that as long as my levels were CONSISTENTLY below 120-140, my chances of developing complications would be minimal.

of course, this was circa 1978, i was only 8 at the time, freaked out about needles, urine testing and the need to completely reschedule my school day around having PE after lunch, which last until high school.

June 27, 2011 at 22:34 | Report abuse |
    • Type1Pumper

You and me both. I stopped giving money for research a long time ago. There's simply no incentive to cure such a profitable disease. Type 1 is especially profitable – in the 35 years I've had it, the cost of treatment has become impossible for anyone without really good health insurance.

June 27, 2011 at 23:56 | Report abuse |
  7. Mario

I'm not surprised by this, just look at all the garbage people living in poverty get stuck eating.

June 27, 2011 at 19:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Meself

Raw food vegan diet. I’ve lost 75 pounds – 6’ male, weight stabilized at 175. No more diabetic meds (or ANY meds!), cholesterol at 139, fasting blood sugar at 90. Work out 5-6 days per week. It takes planning and thought, but it works. You choose – life in an in-shape body or poor health eating the standard American diet (SAD).

June 27, 2011 at 19:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tacos rule

You'll probably end up like Archie Bunker's friend Ralph who had a heart attack while he was jogging home from the health food store.

June 27, 2011 at 20:58 | Report abuse |
    • RabiaDiluvio

Certain vegetables and foods eaten raw are far worse for you than if you apply a bit of heat, m'friend. Kills toxins and makes many vitamins and minerals more bioavailable. Regardless, make sure you tell your doc and get B12 supplements. You should be monitored for B12 deficiency/pernicious anemia which is almost universal among vegans.

June 27, 2011 at 21:23 | Report abuse |
    • Hunter P

A low total blood cholesterol, like yours of 139, is just as strongly correlated with higher mortality rates and is likely due to cutting out animal sources of healthy fats and protein.

June 28, 2011 at 09:26 | Report abuse |
  9. Type 1

Unfortunately, people with Type 1, aka Juvenile Onset Diabetes, often get blamed for their disease when most often they had nothing to do with developing it.

June 27, 2011 at 19:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • melissa

Articles like this irritate me because they do not clarify Type 1 vs Type 2! My daughter was diagnosed at 21 mths old and is now 4 years old. She did not ask for this disease nor did she even have a chance to indulge in such a lifestyle prone to developing Type 2! I do not want her growing up feeling guilty or blaming herself for something in which she had no control. Shame on this writer.

June 27, 2011 at 20:16 | Report abuse |
    • RabiaDiluvio

Type one may have as much to do with how a child's grandmother ate.

June 27, 2011 at 21:25 | Report abuse |
    • Karen

Type one and melissa

This frustrates me as well my son was 15 months when diagnosed with type 1 and he is lump in with all diabetes. When clearly there is a difference. I am not sure of the exact percent but I do know that it is very small percent of type 1 diabetics in comparison to type 2. I also wish they would distinguish between the two.

June 27, 2011 at 21:40 | Report abuse |
    • Maria

Please don't say that most often they had nothing to do to develope it.......a Type I NEVER does anything to develope it. It is purely genitic. My 7 yr. old child was diagnosed w/ it due to family genetics on his fathers side. I didn't even let this child drink soda.....except on Christmas & Birthdays. He is now 19.....and lives a life I wouldn't
      wish on my worst enemy.......well maybe my "worst"......I am Italian after all 🙂

June 28, 2011 at 00:30 | Report abuse |
    • Maria

@Rabia......I disagree......more strongly than I can put into words here!

June 28, 2011 at 00:32 | Report abuse |
    • Maria

@Karen its 90% Type 2 and 10% Type I.

June 28, 2011 at 00:34 | Report abuse |
    • RabiaDiluvio

Maria: if you object to something I said, please phrase it in some language that people can understand. (Otherwise it sounds like a childish pout.) There is nothing to "object to" in what I stated, which was at best an offhand remark.

June 28, 2011 at 09:53 | Report abuse |
  10. RRR

Dear Russ

And after you take the glucose tolerance test and you wait 2 hours your blood glucose will either be an acceptable range or an unacceptable range. The acceptable range used to be 90 – 120. That is no longer an acceptable range because it has been lowered. And if you are in Diabetic Keto Acidosis – there is no glucose tolerance test, well because you are in acidosis which automatically means you are Type 1. The sad thing about Type 2 Diabetes is that many times it can be controlled by diet/exercise/portion control – but not always. Lifestyle changes are very hard for people to make when they are already habituated to poor nutrition and lack of exercise.

June 27, 2011 at 19:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Type 1

And in many cases they turn themselves into insulin-dependent diabetics...

June 27, 2011 at 19:51 | Report abuse |
    • SouthernCelt

Every Type 2 Diabetic is different. The solution for my blood sugar level (after the SGT test) when I was 20 was diet and exercise. I have the same blood sugar level now at over 50 and still go to the Gym every d**n day and eating hasn't been fun for years yet I have to take pills. I suspect they widened the definition to sell more pills.

June 28, 2011 at 12:03 | Report abuse |
  11. PhilG.

You can thank corn syrup for that.

Matabolizes in the blood stream so fast the body can't handle it.

Cokes and Pepsi's dont help either.

And Aspartame,Nutrasweet,Phenylaniline-all the same thing-are so toxic to the brain-my wife is dying before my eyes because of that crap.

Anyone mention this stuff is as addictive as nicotine?

Thanks Diet Coke and Pepsi for killing my wife.

I hope the CEO's of these companies find a real warm place in hell for all the people they've damaged with that stuff.

June 27, 2011 at 19:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Scientist

I've never seen a convincing study to suggest that HFCS is worse than plain sugar. High Fructose Corn Syrup is approximately a 1:1 mix of fructose and glucose. Sucrose, or table sugar, is rapidly hydrolyzed into a fructose and glucose upon ingestion.

The real problem with HCFS is that it led to cheaper and easier to transport sources of sugar, and simplified the manufacturing of sugary drinks and foods.

All refined sugar is bad. Period. The same goes for fruit juices where all of the fiber and pulp has been removed, leaving behind pure sugar with a high glycemic index.

Don't blame HCFS. Blame brands like Gatorade who have managed to trick millions of Americans into thinking what was originally a sports drink for fueling strenuous exercise is an acceptable beverage for any time of day.

June 28, 2011 at 05:42 | Report abuse |
    • Kamikaze

I would be very interested to know what it is that is killing your wife.What she is diagnosed with. Millions of people consume artificial sweeteners everyday with little to no side affects.

June 28, 2011 at 05:54 | Report abuse |
    • Wayne Justice

I believe the problem with HFCS is that it bypasses the enzymatic breakdown pathway of normal sugar and hits the blood stream way too soon. Ultimately, the effects on the big brain is different. The other two brains are unaffected. Did you not know humans have three brains. It's true.

June 28, 2011 at 09:57 | Report abuse |
    • RabiaDiluvio

As a scientist you should be well aware that one way they make lab rats diabetic for purposes of testing treatments for diabetes is to feed them high concentrations of fructose.

(1) Unlike other sugars, it doesn't signal insulin production.
      (2) It is instead broken down by the liver, where it triggers a signal for fat storage/elevated triglycerides.
      (3) Elevated triglycerides impede the transport of leptin across the blood-brain barrier which might cause a person to feel "full" and stop eating.
      (4) It causes big issues with macromineral metabolism, also closely tied to creating a diabetic state, as is the gradual reduction in the body's magnesium levels. (Low magnesium creates insulin insensitivity).

You really need to keep up with the science, matey. All the stories about sugar and HFCS being the same in terms of weight loss ONLY take the relative caloric load per serving into account–not the way that they two are metabolized, let alone the effect of all the reactive carbonyls (which would take a book to discuss).

June 28, 2011 at 10:24 | Report abuse |
    • Scientist

I read the literature.

I've never seen a paper that conclusively shows that HCFS (which is approximately 50:50 glucose and fructose) is any different than sucrose (which is rapidly hydrolyzed to 1 molecule of glucose and 1 molecule of fructose).

I am not going to engage in an argument about the one monosacharide being worse than the other. All I'm saying is the sucrose and HCFS are both equally evil.

June 28, 2011 at 20:46 | Report abuse |
  12. Drew

Eat lots of vegetables and some meat with limited complex carbs. Simple as that. Sugar is a drug on par with heroin and cocaine. Look up the studies on its addictive properties. While you're at it, look up the Zeitgeist movement and spread its message if you have a beat in your heart left.

June 27, 2011 at 20:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MadHatter

Zeitgeist Movement – YES!

June 27, 2011 at 20:12 | Report abuse |
    • BB

Not as true as we have been led to believe. I believe corn sugar is a big contributer. I can eat a a piece of chocolate and be fine, but a ear of corn on the cob and my blood sugar shoots up. Diabetes can be controlled, I eat normally, whatever I want in moderation...my A1c is now 5.4. It helps that I like soup and oatmeal as my fave foods...but I eat a donut at least once a month!

June 27, 2011 at 20:18 | Report abuse |
    • SouthernCelt

Then on the other hand, all but the simple veggies (corn, peas, etc) make physically ill (broccoli, asparagus, etc.), meat is generally condemned, and (sob) no whisky for me! My problem is genetic (Grandma, 3 Aunts all had it)so it is not what I eat or what I do.

June 28, 2011 at 12:11 | Report abuse |
  13. Luniz82

Paleo is the way to go. If you have diabetes try switching to a Paleo lifestyle see if this does not change things.

June 27, 2011 at 20:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kamikaze

It's not WHAT you eat. It's HOW MUCH you eat. I could eat a 100 calorie ice cream sandwich four times a day and die of malnutrition before I became a diabetic.

June 28, 2011 at 05:49 | Report abuse |
  14. Frank

Who gets diabetes first?: On the right is the vegetarian... On the left the MacDonian..." We all know the answer. – The sad truth is that most people don't want to be saved.

June 27, 2011 at 20:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Annamarie

Such a tragedy. Especially when you see someone with Health History,and yet,in complete denial to want to help themselves to prevent this from happening to them...

June 27, 2011 at 21:16 | Report abuse |
    • Kamikaze

Really? So If I become a vegan and ate 6000 calories worth of potatoes everyday I won't become a diabetic? Interesting. Please watch what you write because some idiot might actually believe you.

June 28, 2011 at 05:47 | Report abuse |
    • Ron

@Kamikaze
      Straw man. – Vegetarians don't eat 6000 calories of potatoes every day.
      ...And I'm not a vegetarian. I love a good burger.

June 28, 2011 at 07:03 | Report abuse |
  15. Kristen

Type 1 and type 2 diabetes are different. Articles that mention diabetes yet fail to mention what type they are referring to are just perpetuating falsehoods about the two separate diseases and really have no place in intelligent dialogue. Great job CNN!

June 27, 2011 at 21:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. ranch111

four words: high fructose corn syrup

June 27, 2011 at 21:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Steve

This article should start off by stating what diabetes they are referring to. Clearly this article is speaking about type 2 diabetes and not type 1. The general public is completely uneducated to the difference between the two. Type 1 diabetes is very different and the cause is unknown. It is not related to being unhealthy and overweight, as typically associated with Type 2.

June 27, 2011 at 21:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Vicki

Well, what do you know:

1980: Genetic Engineering of insulin began clinical trials (Eli Lilly & Co. & Genentech)

Did someone then introduce something into the diet that would increase the rate of diabetes?

June 27, 2011 at 21:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Vicki

ranch111 – "four words: high fructose corn syrup"

HFCS was rapidly introduced to many processed foods and soft drinks in the U.S. from about 1975 to 1985.

June 27, 2011 at 21:56 | Report abuse |
    • anon

Take off your tinfoil hat.

Insulin has historically been and almost ALWAYS has been a treatment for Type I diabetics. This is why Type I is called "insulin dependent". Some (very few) Type II diabetics, either extremely unlucky or extremely bad at caring about their health, are treated with insulin. Diet has NOTHING to do with development of Type I – in fact, research speculates it is most likely a genetic autoimmune timebomb triggered at any time by just about anything the body can consider traumatic, usually sickness. This means a Type I diabetic usually has no control over when they'll lose all insulin function. Type II is technically less serious, not necessarily requiring insulin, and is the common kind the media likes to refer to as all diabetes.

Also, some more education for you – insulin has been around for a LOT longer than 1980 through extraction and purification from pigs and other animals. How else are there so many older Type I diabetics walking around?

This is why the media needs to start specifying what type they're talking about and educating people about the huge difference between two types. I'm a Type I and I'm sick of people indirectly telling me I eat badly and could "totally be healthy" if I improved my diet or exercise. No, I'm not overweight by any means, and no, diet will not cure or treat me in any way, shape, or form.

June 27, 2011 at 21:58 | Report abuse |
    • Vicki

Anon – something caused the increase. Before the introduction of genetic engineering of insulin, it was often unreliable and unstable.

June 27, 2011 at 22:03 | Report abuse |
    • anon

Haha what? Overall sweetener content did take a hike from 1980 on (because hfcs was cheap, not because it was inherently evil) and that did lead to obesity and Type II going up but it had NOTHING to do with Type I, which is treated by the insulin you're talking about and hasn't statistically changed that much in 30 years.

And what do you mean by unstable? More proof that you don't really know anything about diabetes.

June 27, 2011 at 22:05 | Report abuse |
    • anon

Well, let me rephrase that – Type I has gone up but not at the level of Type II, which can actually be associated with obesity. I would attribute Type I to more children of Type Is having babies and the fact that it tends to skip generations.

June 27, 2011 at 22:08 | Report abuse |
    • Maria

You are SO right @ Anon......I was told thhis at DHMC when my son was Dx at 7yrs old. A Dr. asked what major disease he had had to trigger it. Which made me sick.....as it was chickenpox...which a very ignorant babysitter exposed him to, w/out my knowledge when she allowed someone to drop their child w/ her who had it. I wish I could wring her neck.....though I did take some satisfaction that her own 30-something husband also caught it & was hospitalized. At least HE was smart enough to leave her once well. I am SO angry she did this w/out ever giveing me the choice to keep my children home then.....wish I could have sued her.......but there is NO value I could place on it except to keep her from ever watching others children again!

June 28, 2011 at 00:43 | Report abuse |
  19. anon

Also give a group a diet with as much sucrose as hfcs and I will just about GUARANTEE you there will be no statistical difference between the incidence of diabetes in a sucrose group and an hfcs group. The problem is overall sweetener content, which, in honest detriment to hfcs, has in part increased over the years due to the cheapness of hfcs. Sucrose is just as bad (in fact hfcs and sucrose have nearly identical fractions of fructose/glucose), just more expensive.

June 27, 2011 at 22:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Vicki

Princeton Study "High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) accounts for as much as 40% of caloric sweeteners used in the United States. Some studies have shown that short-term access to HFCS can cause increased body weight, but the findings are mixed. The current study examined both short- and long-term effects of HFCS on body weight, body fat, and circulating triglycerides. In Experiment 1, male Sprague–Dawley rats were maintained for short term (8 weeks) on (1) 12 h/day of 8% HFCS, (2) 12 h/day 10% sucrose, (3) 24 h/day HFCS, all with ad libitum rodent chow, or (4) ad libitum chow alone. Rats with 12-h access to HFCS gained significantly more body weight than animals given equal access to 10% sucrose, even though they consumed the same number of total calories, but fewer calories from HFCS than sucrose. In Experiment 2, the long-term effects of HFCS on body weight and obesogenic parameters, as well as gender differences, were explored. Over the course of 6 or 7 months, both male and female rats with access to HFCS gained significantly more body weight than control groups. This increase in body weight with HFCS was accompanied by an increase in adipose fat, notably in the abdominal region, and elevated circulating triglyceride levels. Translated to humans, these results suggest that excessive consumption of HFCS may contribute to the incidence of obesity."

June 27, 2011 at 22:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • anon

1) Not a human study and 2) widely discredited. A human study with many more subjects found that consumption of a pre-meal of HFCS, sucrose, milk, and nothing showed that both HFCS and sucrose resulted in similar amounts of overeating and similar satiety levels (something your study shows the opposite of), and both resulted in extremely unhealthy eating compared to the milk and placebo preloads. It's a bit too complicated to find a summation paragraph but it's a very easy study to find. If you can find that one, you can find this one.

June 27, 2011 at 22:15 | Report abuse |
    • Kamikaze

The problem isn't one ingredient or another. It's portion control. People don't know when to quit and in the US our schools practically do not teach anything concerning nutritional values.

June 28, 2011 at 05:44 | Report abuse |
  21. anon

I should say that the satiety levels were marked using levels of several metabolic hormones and it wasn't subjective by any means.

June 27, 2011 at 22:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Dora

I am a vegan and my blood tests couldn't be more perfect. Just stop eating what your body is not made to process and you will be fine. If you were made to eat meat you would have claws and sharp teeth. And the gastric juices to be able to digest it raw.

June 27, 2011 at 22:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Coffeeclue

Dora,

This is nonsense. Eating meat does not cause type II diabetes. If anything, it cures it. Carbs are what makes the condition worse. So, if bread is vegan, you can make your blood sugar spike if you're diabetic.

June 27, 2011 at 23:50 | Report abuse |
    • Maria

I must disagree @coffeeclue. Diabetics need to watch meat consumption as fatty meats interfere w/ metabolizing proteins & can mess w/ blood glu levels as well.

June 28, 2011 at 00:46 | Report abuse |
    • Kamikaze

There is no proof whatsoever anywhere that utilizing a vegan lifestyle will make you live longer or more healthy. Portion control is the problem. The only reason why you're healthy is because it's more difficult to get to those extremely high levels of calories you find at Jack in the Box.

June 28, 2011 at 05:41 | Report abuse |
    • Hunter P

Humans do have teeth and a digestive system evolved for eating animal meats and fats. Claiming that meat causes diabetes is ridiculous, there has never been any research of any kind ever that has shown "meat" intake as a cause of diabetes. It has been known for the past couple hundred years that carb intake, refined carbs in particular, can easily trigger diabetes, as well as many other health problems.

June 28, 2011 at 09:32 | Report abuse |
  23. morgan painter

I suspect it is all the chemicals they put in our food. MSG, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, preservatives. And yes even white bread.

June 28, 2011 at 00:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. almxx

Did you notice that those damn socialist countries are low in diabetes? Austria, France and Netherlands. Maybe they control the kind of garbage food manufactured in USA.

June 28, 2011 at 00:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hunter P

Those countries also tend to eat more fat, saturated and monounsaturated fats in particular. France especially is a great example of how, in general, as healthy fat intake goes up, diabetes, obesity, and heart disease rates go down.

June 28, 2011 at 09:41 | Report abuse |
  25. lolarites

Get rid of the high fructose corn syrup in our food and you will get rid of the diabetes

June 28, 2011 at 01:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mark Taylor

Oh Gee! I can't wait to tell my Type 1 diabetic daughter that her pancreas will start making beta cells again. You are so wrong here. You've bought into diabetes is always a life-style choice and it isn't. I wish they would just give these two conditions two different names, maybe something like "I ain't got no beta-cells" and "get off my back about diet and exercise" diseases.

June 28, 2011 at 06:30 | Report abuse |
  26. PrimeTime

People are starting to become aware of the glycemic index tables which can be found with just a little search engine exploration. These, combined with a pinch of determination to learn what they mean, can be life changers. No fad diets involved, just working with the reality of the numbers. Please take the time to look into this. I did, and it put me on the path to some very positive, surprisingly rejuvinating physical results. Best wishes to all.

June 28, 2011 at 01:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kamikaze

Glycemic index is only good if you're eating that one food and that's it. You know what the GI is for mashed potatoes. You know what the GI is for a steak. You know what the GI is for vegetables. Do you know what the GI is for all of them in your stomach? No you don't. It's pretty much worthless.

June 28, 2011 at 05:38 | Report abuse |
  27. Journeys

If u all really had the answers diabetes would be cured. So while u all know exactly what u need to eat diabetes is still on the rise! So I'm willing to bet most of u dnt know what ur talking about!

June 28, 2011 at 01:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Joe

Doctors will lye! Three years ago, one doctor told me that I had the, as he put it, "The big D" so he signed me up for treetments for about a month, until I had another doctor reverse his diognsis. Seems like they just like to keep you under their controll and in their "System" if you have good insurance.

June 28, 2011 at 02:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Griselda Mussett

Luckily diabetics can get their daily recommended fruits, vegetables & berries with Juice Plus as all the sugars are removed, leaving all the antioxidants, enzymes & other vital phytonutrients. Ask for more details. My website covers 20 countries.

June 28, 2011 at 02:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Cyberbeing

I propose warning signs [similar to those on cigarette packs] on all sugary products. And also no selling of colas to those under 18.

June 28, 2011 at 04:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Kamikaze

90-95% of diabetes cases are Type 2 AND reversible. However most people once they obtain such a disorder they will have it for the rest of their lives. That's right I wrote disorder because Type 2 reversible diabetes is not a disease. It's a disorder that people refuse to change. Here is just one clinical trial that proves fat disgusting people can be beautiful again. So ask yourself. Do I have Type 2 reversible diabetes? Do I want to stop taking prescription medicine that's probably killing me? Nah I'd rather live with this besides I don't have time to read any clinical studies. Were going to McDonald's.

June 28, 2011 at 05:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. studdmuffins

Blame the marketing gurus who seem to have to sweeten their edible products for people to purchase them. That and we've all forgotten the wisdom of our grandmothers, "Everything in moderation and no between meal snacks (so called)." Junk food has replaced apples and video games have replaced sandlot baseball.

June 28, 2011 at 05:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. fat head

From cavemen to cowboys we did not have heart disease and type 2 diabetes and what was there diet. meat fish butter veggies and some fruit. in the 1900's doctors did not get training on heart disease because it did not exist. so what happened? well we started to eat flower, grains ,sugar and corn / vegetable oil. by the 1950,s we started seeing heart disease. so we get this bad scientist ancel keys and his lipid hypothesis witch tells us to stop eating meat and butter and eat more grains and processed veg/corn oil. then senator George McGovern and congress ignores good scientist and goes with lipid hypothesis theory and food pyramid witch tells us to eat even more grains and less meat and butter. so that food pyramid we are told to to use as a guide line is a congress guide line not a scientist or a medical guide line. for a better understanding of what im saying rent on netflix fathead. or google fat head movie to go to tom naughton,s web sight. other good sights are nora gedgaudas primal body primal mind and google gary taubes to go to his sight.

June 28, 2011 at 06:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Mark Taylor

As others have noted, the reporters who assemble this kind of processed junk reporting don't always get their facts together first. I was so happy to see the number of people who contributed to the awareness that there are two kinds of diabetes, Type 1 and Type 2. Type 2 is associated with obesity and lack of physical exercise. Type 1 is an auto-immune disorder some are born with that can be triggered by a stressor.Type 2 is about poor lifestyle choices,Type 1 is just rotten luck and an environmental stressor. Contrary to what one contributor wrote above, BOTH types of diabetes are pandemic. Type 1 is a very expensive disease to live with in the US of A. I know. I have an adult daughter with Type 1 who has no insurance.

June 28, 2011 at 06:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. george Delaney

When will people stop letting the food and drug admin. stop running the way people eat and what is in the food that we eat.I personally believe that a big part of our problems are coming from the steroids used in making beef eat and get fat. I don't believe that it is out of our food when we eat it and it does the same to us as it does to beef and chicken and pork.They manipulate all of our food that we eat every day along with the pesticides they are slowly killing us off.

June 28, 2011 at 06:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. unowhoitsme

CURE FOR TYPE 2 DIABETES: 1/3 of your plate is lean protein, 1/3 of your plate is a helping of green vegetables or raw salad, 1/3 plate low glycemic carb (look up low glycemic foods under 50) and 3 low glycemic snacks (ex. apple). My daughter did this high fiber diet, lost weight, and reduced her sugars from 459 to 125 in two weeks. Her sugars are now normal. Diabetics need to be on a low-fat, no sugar, high fiber diet. It works everytime! Your need for insulin/medicine will reduce down to nothing (provided you haven't killed your pancreas) so work with your doctor; otherwise your blood sugar will go too low, which is very dangerous and could kill you.

June 28, 2011 at 06:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. BJ

A large contributing factor that has been ignored by the media is the overwhelming amount of depleted uranium being used in modern day war munitions. Depleted uranium contributes to an improper functioning pancreas. For those who may doubt this, reseaarch it through a search engine. Dr. Loren Moret is an authority on the subject.

June 28, 2011 at 06:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. susanne

Type 2 can be reversed with diet and weight loss. I just lost 64 pounds and have changed my diet to low carb, organic foods. My A1C is 5.4 now and all is well. Almost no meds , most likely not need them anymore soon. The problem is the food and what is in it. Once again its a money issue and cheap foods are cheap however they will cost us in the long run. We need to be more informed and make better food choices. The organic blueberries I eat now are so much better then the refined sugar crap. Exercise is also a must...I now weigh 138 pounds and feel awesome!

June 28, 2011 at 08:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Thelma Heywood

It continues to amaze me that the American Diabetes Assn., Dr. Gupta and CNN, and U.S. medical publications continue to ignore the fact that there are several types of diabetes. Hundreds of thousands of diabetics are Type I, as is my daughter. Not only does this lack of consideration (ignorance?) have an effect on Type I patients in the work place (where people think you don't care about yourself because you're a "couch potato") but it provides misinformation to the general public. Besides, leave it to for-profit medicine to provide the only treatment for Type I diabetes in the form of insulin – WHICH MAKES YOU FAT!
    There will never be a cure for diabetes made available for the general public. All of the supplies, pumps, insulin, and resulting impairments make lots of money, after all, for the medical community.

June 28, 2011 at 09:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. amylynn

The Anti Obesity drug makers and diabetes drug makers take in 10 billion$$$$ every year with no cure!!

Food Chemicals are the cause of the diabetes and obesity crisis

The FDA and Drug makers know this and are laughing to the Billionaire$$$ bank

The food chemicals break the gut(insulin) and this is the cause of the diabetes and obesity crisis

A filmmaker has been reversing diabetes and Obesity in now 10 countries and the drug makers do not promote the story type 2 diabetes cure

just google SPIRIT HAPPY. ORG

June 28, 2011 at 10:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Bruce Rubin

I am not sure if anyone has noticed but the global diabetes epidemic seems to be going along with the spread of GMO food crops!!!

June 28, 2011 at 10:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Silver

This is mostly caused by the spread of processed foods to Asia and the 3rd World countries. It is a known Western medical fact that diets based on processed foods will cause kidney and liver failure. Foods with nitates and nitrites are especially toxic to the kidneys. If you don't believe me just Google. The increase in diabetes is due to the processed foods industry. Stop eating processed foods and switch to fresh foods from organic sources. This is what Asians and Africans used to do but Western supermarkets have infiltrated and undermined their diets. The other thing to do is exercise and hard physical labor – your body has to be physically worked or it falls apart.

June 28, 2011 at 11:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Mithola

In my opinion, it can change if FDA bans produce from genetically modified vegetables, fruits and animals.
    Fed should ban production of any kind of white sugar, white salt and related products.
    Retails must offer only organiz food. Farmers will produce less but can charge more, Farming will be so attracting that job market will change.Citizens will be healthier. US can afford it becasue there is enough farm land.

June 28, 2011 at 15:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Ken

The full facts should be provided in stories such as this. The following items are completely missed.
    1) This appears to be Type 2 diabetes and not diabetes in general. When will medical profession fully address diabetes facts based on specific type ?
    2) The # of folks being tested for diabetes has risen exponentially since 1980 over the years so of course they have found many more. You can't identify if you don't test.
    3) The levels which define a Type 2 diabetic have changed over the last 5 years and significantly changed of ver the past 30 years so any numerical comparison is not valid.

The details regarding such study should be provided if they are going to print it.

June 28, 2011 at 15:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Flynn

There are plenty of misconceptions and misinformation about Type II diabetes. My husband has always eaten a healthy diet, exercises daily, very slim his entire life, and yet is insulin dependent Type II diabetic. His mother and grandmother were both diabetics, and 4 of his 6 siblings, all slim, active, healthy eaters have now developed diabetes. Tired of hearing Type I diabetics and the general public chastise all Type II diabetics, as if it is entirely preventable. It isn't.

June 28, 2011 at 15:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

There's a lot of subjective assumption built into the phrase "healthy diet." The US gov't for thirty years has told us that "healthy" is a low-fat, essentially carb-based diet. In that time, obesity and diabetes have soared. The gov't was dead wrong and there's a rapidly growing population who understand that, and if a diet doesn't avoid carbs, it is not healthy. Grains, starchy vegetables, gluten, caseins, lectins – it's not easy to catch up on all the research, but it's there to read. Sliver is right, most processed foods are configurations of starchy corn and wheat endosperm - very bad for health.

June 29, 2011 at 13:23 | Report abuse |
  46. Linda Schroder

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    OUR FINE GOVERNMENT IS CAUSING ALL THIS, FOR POPULATION CONTROL......

June 28, 2011 at 22:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Mom2type1

Flynn- is it possible your husband really has type 1? I heard some people first get diagnosed as type 2, then when oral medication can't control it they end up being diagnosed as type 1. And especially if they are healthy eaters and slim, maybe the were misdiagnosed and really have type 1. Also, in some cases, type 2 can be genetic.

June 28, 2011 at 23:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Catherine P

I read this article with interest, dismay and, frankly, anger. It’s true that there is no pharmaceutical vaccine for either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. But there is a treatment – and in some cases, a prevention – that is inexpensive and doesn’t require any sort of drug: education. And yet in the United States, where we have more than 24.7 million diabetics (with numbers quickly rising) who cost the medical system $174 in 2007 alone, our system is not designed to pay for it.

I recognize the value of diabetes education because I have had Type 1 diabetes – the autoimmune form of the disease (thanks, other commenters, for pointing out the distinction!) – for just over ten years. Show me a plate of food and I will automatically begin breaking it down into carbohydrates, protein and fat. I know that carbohydrates will cause my blood sugar to rise, and that I need to take insulin to “cover” their effects. Without this basic level of knowledge, I would be at far greater risk of the terrifying complications (blindness, amputation, stroke) that would not just be personally tragic, but it would cost me and our medical system a lot of money.

Education can change the equation. Understanding the relationship between food and insulin leads to better glucose control and lowers the risk of expensive complications. What’s more, for the 79 million Americans thought by NIDDK to be prediabetic – that is, people who have abnormally high blood glucose levels who have not yet developed Type 2 diabetes, but are likely to – education could actually act as a vaccine.

I am trying to start a company that would provide some of this education. But right now, there's no payer: Medicare (which sets the standard for other insurers) does not cover education for people with pre-diabetes - and its coverage for people with diabetes is pitifully low. Doctors simply tell their patients to watch what they eat and lose weight, often without any further explanation or help. It's like teaching a child to read by handing him a book and telling him to figure it out.

This is deplorable. When it comes to diabetes, education is essential. But until we find someone willing to pay for it, diabetes’ numbers, costs and complications will continue to soar.

Catherine Price

June 29, 2011 at 09:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Anna1124

I'm really excited about Dr. Faustman's breakthrough with the BCG drug in the first phase of clinical trials. They are raising funds for the second phase now. Maybe one day we will see a cure. http://www.faustmanlab.org/

June 29, 2011 at 12:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Flynn

Mom2type1 – My husband has been tested for the GAD antibodies (LADA). It was negative, as it was for his siblings. There are other antibodies to test, but the cost is prohibitive and not covered by insurance. His endocrinologist tells us some 20% of his Type II patients are normal to underweight and follow a healthy diet. Given his family history of diabetes, there is obviously a genetic component in play here. No combinations of oral meds and restrictive diet have been able to bring his blood sugar to remotely manageable levels. Even with insulin his blood sugar is borderline high. Virtually nothing (insulin included) makes him gain weight, and he has tested negative for any other metabolic issues.

June 30, 2011 at 17:40 | Report abuse | Reply