home
RSS
June 21st, 2011

Man says he robbed bank to get health care

A man walks into a bank and slips a note to the teller.

The note reads: “This is a bank robbery. Please only give me one dollar.”

Then the man tells the bank employees, “I’ll be sitting right over there in the chair waiting for the police."

He perches himself on a chair outside the bank he just robbed and waits for the police to arrive.

That suspect, James Verone, who is from Gaston County, North Carolina, told CNN affiliate WCNC that he robbed a bank for $1 for the sole reason of getting in jail so he could get free health care. He was not armed during the robbery.

Verone, 59, told WCNC he doesn’t have health insurance, but has a host of medical problems: A growth on his chest, two ruptured disks and a problem with his left foot.  Without a job and money, he reached the conclusion that going to jail would mean free medical care (although it's not free for taxpayers).

“I wanted to make it known that this wasn't for monetary reasons, but for medical reasons," Verone said.  His jailhouse interview with the station is above.

The logic, he told the news station, was to get a three-year sentence so he can get out of jail then collect Social Security and then later live in a Myrtle Beach condo.

Verone told his local paper, The Gaston Gazette that he had worked as a delivery man for Coca-Cola for 17 years.  That career ended three years ago, and he couldn’t find steady employment.  Then the medical problems began.  He lived off his savings and sought a part-time job.

The police charged him with larceny, not bank robbery, because of the $1 amount he demanded at the bank. Verone told his hometown paper if the jail penalty isn’t great enough, the crime will happen again.

Verone told WCNC, "I guess I am manipulating the courts to get medical care."

Is Verone’s story an example of one man gaming the system or a product of a flawed health care in America? Sound off below.

soundoff (1,430 Responses)
  1. jean2009

Everyone should have health insurance coverage. Not having coverage, waiting until you are so sick you can do nothing other than go to an emergency room, costs everyone who has coverage. It costs the insured to the tune of $100 billion a year. It adds about $1,100 to the cost of the annual health insurance premium for a family of four. This is the shifting of cost to those who responsibly have insurance, for services hospitals are by law required to provide for those who do not have insurance.

Who has ever planned for an emergency such as being broadsided by another motorist? What does a person do when their child is broadsided and is in a vegetative state on a ventilator requires nursing home care, when you have run through your savings, mortgaged your home. now due to the Affordable Care Act they can be on your insurance plan to age 26. That is good, because the young see themselves as invulnerable to illness and thing they do not need insurance.

So, those who say they do not want to pay for someone's health care...you in fact are if you have health insurance. In fact, you are paying for the most expensive type care for the uninsured...because if they had coverage they more than likely would have scheduled a doctor visit before the situation required going to the emergency room.

Here we are providing health care for the Iraqi's, and we can't find a way to make health care affordable for all our citizens leaving them so they feel compelled to rob a bank for health care? That is the ridiculousness of the Republican/Teanut argument against health reform, and against mandating it for all states. Do only those people living in certain states have more right to health coverage than those in states who do not accept the mandate. That is absolute nonsense!

For the uninformed. portions of the Affordable Health Care Act have already (or are in the process) of being made available. True not all parts of the legislation are currently active, but many are. Take simple things like the cost of the shingles vaccine...it is now possible since May 31st, for seniors to be vaccinated under Part D Medicare and simply pay the co-pay. That is roughly a $250 savings for a retired couple when both are vaccinated. Children under age 26 can remain on their parents insurance policy. You cannot be denied for preexisting conditions if you are covered under a group plan. However, a child with a preexisting condition currently could be denied if they are too old to remain on their parent's plan.

June 22, 2011 at 10:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. vanessa

I pity him. You have to be in a lot of pain, and pretty desperate, to do this. How can anyone say differently, after reading this article? He wasn't some useless bum– he'd had a 17 yr career, and a savings account. He wasn't too good to take part time work. I think he did the best he could. I respect him a lot more than I respect the pain-pill addicts, anyway. He could have chosen that route, you know.

June 22, 2011 at 10:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paulie

I dont pity him. He tried to rob a bank. What if everyone used this excuse to rob a bank and shot your family members with a gun or they got caught in the crossfire. Please liberals try to teach your kids that robbing banks is wrong for any reason (even if you are dying) and that you shoudnt try to abuse the system either.

June 22, 2011 at 12:23 | Report abuse |
    • momomiester

Yes liberal. Let him off. Give him a couple years so when I make a deposit, some guy pulls a gun and robs the banks for healthcare. Brilliant. They guy is mental. It is sad but I wouldn't make much over it. There was a guy local that robbed a bank to pay for medication for his kid. That is way more sad than this guy.

June 22, 2011 at 13:19 | Report abuse |
  3. T Ciccone

As sad as it is, I can't fault Verone's logic. Until we structure the health care system to require that everyone be insured and everyone receives care, we'll be seeing more and more of the above.

June 22, 2011 at 10:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paulie

We do have such a system its called Obamacare the only problem is the boobs that passed it into law didnt bother to read it or consider that it wouldnt go into effect until 2014 and does nothing to lower the costs of insurance for the average person. Obamacare only guarantees you will be able to buy an expensive policy and not be turned down for a pre-existing condition (they will just turn your claim down for other things instead).

June 22, 2011 at 12:25 | Report abuse |
  4. John Doe

Here's what Canadians don't have: 25 million illegal immigrants using the system for free; the ability to get $100 million if your liposuction goes wrong; the best cancer treatment in the world; the best surgeons in the world; the ability to get any procedure done at anytime without extensive waiting. If you are willing to give up all those (and I don't mind), then you can start comparing yourself to Canada, which has one-tenth the people we do. But first you have to get the trial lawyers who are making billions suing healthcare providers out of the Democrats' pockets.

June 22, 2011 at 10:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Matt

"25 million illegal immigrants using the system for free"

Somewhat of a problem in certain areas, but not what's killing the healthcare system. Illegal immigrants don't get on Medicare and Medicaid. We spend something like a third of Medicare/Medicaid dollars (and growing) on end-of-life care, but if you talk about trying to control those costs it's "DEATH PANELS!!!".

"the ability to get $100 million if your liposuction goes wrong"

Complete bull.

"the best cancer treatment in the world"

If you can afford it.

"the best surgeons in the world"

If you can afford them.

"the ability to get any procedure done at anytime without extensive waiting"

If you can pay up front.

The American system works great as long as you have excellent group insurance through a big corporation, but it's also growing costs unsustainably and will bankrupt the country if we keep going like we have.

What you're leaving out about the Canadian system is that it offers the ability to get lifesaving care regardless of your ability to pay and without crippling you financially for the rest of your life.

June 22, 2011 at 11:21 | Report abuse |
    • Alison

Matt, excellent points. We have the best health care system in the world supposedly, but that's IF you can afford it. The only people complaining about health care reform are the people that HAVE health insurance. For the others, people like me who have a job but can't necessarily afford to pay for health insurance even at a discounted rate through their company, we're screwed. I've said it before, I'll say it again. In January, I came down with appendicitis. Had surgery that day and when I got the bill, I owe $14,000 even WITH health insurance. Things like that are what put people into bankruptcy. We have health insurance to prevent financial ruin, however what about the people that can't afford it to begin with?

They go to banks and rob them of a dollar to go to jail.

June 22, 2011 at 11:45 | Report abuse |
  5. Meme

The really sad truth to this story is that prisoners get great medical care. They should have to work for it.

June 22, 2011 at 10:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • vanessa

You have a license plate, don't you? Or maybe know someone that does?

June 22, 2011 at 10:49 | Report abuse |
    • Boxo

I'd take health care provided by my own doctor than what is found in prisons, any day!

June 22, 2011 at 11:20 | Report abuse |
    • Mindy

Yes Meme they do get good medical & dental care in prison, and when necessary they get sent out to see specialists & have surgeries. Vanessa... Yes there are prison jobs & a lot of them do opt to work during their time spent there, but there are also several others who refuse to work & still get the same care as those who work. They are not working to earn healthcare, they work to have money for canteen (snacks, soda, cigs, & other items that aren't state issue)

June 22, 2011 at 11:22 | Report abuse |
    • Mindy

Boxo.. The point is.. that those who are too ill to work to afford insurance would love to have the medical assistance that is offered in the prison systems. Inmates get dialysis & cancer treatments which would otherwise cost a citizen thousands a month on top of what their insurance through work would cover. I have seen them get procedures done that I would never be able to afford even after my insurance through my job (which I could barely afford to pay premiums for & still bring home $$ to feed my kids) covered it's portion. It is sad.

June 22, 2011 at 11:46 | Report abuse |
    • Johnny

Vanessa: ~LOL~ Prisoners haven't made license plates for many many years. Autommated machines in private companies are cheaper. but you point is taken. Many prisons arer bring back work on public services though. Fixing/repairng parks for kids and other similar community projects.

June 22, 2011 at 12:57 | Report abuse |
    • Johnny

I don't know of many who would actually "love" to get the medical care that is offered in prisons. If youo know anyone who has had to endure it, (and survived it) can tell you it's not anything like what it looks like on newspapers or reports.

June 22, 2011 at 13:01 | Report abuse |
  6. MJB

Just do what the Illegas do and go to our ERs Why put others in peril for something like that. He could of hurt someone or they could of hurt him.

June 22, 2011 at 10:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • vanessa

yeah, paper notes are quite dangerous.

June 22, 2011 at 10:56 | Report abuse |
    • TMAC

No joke the paper note was extremely dangerous...someone could have gotten a paper cut...ever had one of those things, they hurt like the dickens....

June 22, 2011 at 11:56 | Report abuse |
    • Johnny

~L @ MJB~ I can see the headlines now, "May poisoned by paper cut from paper laced with anthrax and streptocchcia. Diseases cured though man dies anyway from staff infection".

June 22, 2011 at 13:08 | Report abuse |
  7. rstlne

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Newsflash conservatives – you talk a blustery, independent line about wanting to take care of yourself and your family without any assistance from the government, but the rest of us are onto you – you will turn around and take public assistance the very minute you lose your job and you or a family member becomes sick or injured. What this comes down to is compassion for your fellow human beings. Conservatives have been yelling and screaming for years against the killing of unborn babies, aka abortion; however at the same time you try to lower the funds our government pays (from our taxes) to assist in feeding and housing orphans, the elderly, and the disabled. Then you claim not to understand why the rest of us complain about your obvious double-standards. I will say to your face, that you CANNOT be a "good Christian" unless you can feel compassion for your fellow human beings.

The United States has had varying levels of socialism since its very beginning. Every society needs some level of Socialism – that is a fact. Denying the facts does not change them – it simply shows close-mindedness and lack of clear and reasonable thought. If I was in a position like Mr. Verone I might very well do the same thing he did to get health care. You will find more and more poor people who refuse to lay down and die quietly just so that you conservatives do not have to pay more taxes. We are headed for open class warfare in this country (soon!) if we are not careful.

June 22, 2011 at 10:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeff

And I have a newsflash for you my friend. You live your life as a fiscal conservative but purport to be anything but. I can state with 100% certainty that you, come tax time, take every known deduction or credit available to you. So, in essence, you believe the gov't can help people, and believe it's all of our jobs to help contribute, but you yourself do everything in your power to keep every last cent away from the government that you legally can.

I live in Massachusetts, which is as Blue a state as there is. We have an income tax rate of 5.30%, but a voluntary rate of 5.85% (the old rate). Every year, less than 1000 residents opt to pay that extra 0.55% and as calculated, most of those that do end up averaging less than $25,000 a year, leading most to believe it's simply a mistake.

When Liberals actaully live their everyday lives as liberals, then perhaps we'll listen to you, but the fact that ALL of you are hypocrites means your arguments fall on deaf ears. Castigate conservatives all you want, but at least they are true to who they are and don't hide it like you do. You are a fiscal conservative when it comes to YOUR money, and merely a Liberal when it comes to MINE. When you stop taking all the deductions and credits you take every year, thus giving more of your money than you legally owe to the government you so believe in, then I'll take you seriously. Until then, you are nothing but a disingenuous hypocrite.

June 22, 2011 at 11:22 | Report abuse |
    • rstlne

No Jeff – you know absolutely NOTHING about me. I take only the minimum deductions allowable because I CANNOT take any more. As I have no children, and do not have a huge mortgage, I am not allowed to take anything other than the minimum allowable.

I find it notable that you could not attack my logic, so you chose to attack my morals. That is telling, in and of itself. Sanctimony will not save you when the open class warfare begins. Try to practice just a little of the compassion that your Christian Bible talks about, and perhaps the open class warfare can be averted.

June 22, 2011 at 11:28 | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

It appears I know you very well actually. I said that you take the maximum deductions allowable to you and you argue back that I'm wrong because you only take the deductions you're allowed?

Another newsflash...we're saying the same thing. You take the deductions allowed you, thus reducing what you pay the government you so believe in. Until you take $0 deductions and pay the government as much as you can in taxes, you are a hypocrite (and sadly one that does not know the meaning of "allowable").

I am not attacking your morals whatsoever. I don't think it's morally reprehensible to keep what you've earned, nor do I believe being confused is morally wrong either. I simply just don't think you understand that you are a hypocrite.

As for your talk of some fictional book, please stop. That 12 people walked around tripping on mushrooms and 1 scribe who wasn't wrote down the silly things they said doesn't interest me. Of course, maybe that's not what happened....neither of us will ever know, right? We'll just have to "believe" what we "believe".

June 22, 2011 at 11:43 | Report abuse |
    • Captain Obvious

Oh wow I never seen anyone getting owned on the Internet as hard as Jeff owned you.

Try researching "allowable" next time before you post. The whole point of his post is, if you are so compassionate yourself, why don't YOU pay extra taxes to help those people? Why don't YOU donate to charities? But you probably stash every dollar you get at your low-paying job. See, it's very easy to be generous with other people's money...as long as it's not yours.

June 22, 2011 at 14:08 | Report abuse |
  8. Bob

This man is a genius. What country treats its criminals better than its citizens? Shame on America!
    Re-elections is all members of Congress and the House think about. How about stopping the fight to win up there and actually look down to see what's going on and try to do something about it. what do i know i'm just a kid

June 22, 2011 at 10:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • just a guy

What country's prisons are populated by, largely, non-violent drug offenders? De-criminalize drugs and tax those, not the people that work hard for a living, be them low/mid/upper class.

Oh, my thinking is flawed. If we decriminalize drugs the prison population will drastically be reduced and the millions of people dependent on the American Prison System will have to get jobs that require more than overseeing hundreds of thousands of people with drug issues...and the unemployment lines grow longer.

June 22, 2011 at 11:13 | Report abuse |
    • Bruce

Bob perhaps you want to spend a few years as a criminal before you decide that the U.S. treats it's ciminals better than it's citizens. Does every citizen enjoy a pain free, problem free , full belly every day existence? Probably not. Should you ever find such a place please let me know and I'll go there. Until then I'll still take the U.S.A. over anywhere else.

June 22, 2011 at 11:18 | Report abuse |
  9. Tewrobert

That was a dumb move, I doubt the bank would have enough money to cover his healthcare at todays prices 🙂

June 22, 2011 at 10:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. RightWingBlowsDonkey

I see a lot of RepubliCon lies posted in these comments. I'm sure you reich-wingers are just glad to see a sick old man die because you refuse to help him. You're inhumae and nonhuman. You should be ashamed of yourselves, but you have no capacity to feel shame, only the pleasure you get from seeing other suffer. Fascist psychopaths.

June 22, 2011 at 10:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • vanessa

agreed.

June 22, 2011 at 10:57 | Report abuse |
    • SBE

Yay for ad hominem arguments. Basically everybody in this thread.

June 22, 2011 at 12:17 | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

Yeah but the problem here is OBAMACARE PASSED BUT DOESNT GO INTO EFFECT UNTIL 2014 and thats not the fault of a republican. Its the fault of democrats who passed a bill without reading it. A bill that makes insurance companies richer and the average citizen way poorer. It will do little to lower the cost of insurance and a lot to empty our pockets and bank accounts.

June 22, 2011 at 12:29 | Report abuse |
  11. Kayla

I don't know why this isn't happening all over our country. I applaud this man's courage to suffer in jail in order to get something that should be a basic right for all humans. I wish the hundreds of thousands of people in his same position would do something similar so maybe we can get the change we need.

June 22, 2011 at 10:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Guest

To the troll Paulie Obamacare is NOT jn full effect yet. In fact the GOP are trying to stop it. They need to keep their pockets full from the pharm companies and lobbyists. It's not fully I'n effect until 2014.

June 22, 2011 at 10:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paulie

Its doesnt matter if its in full effect or partial effect-– it passed and its in effect!!! Who's fault is it that its half way in effect until 2014? Certainly not republicans or even you or me? Unless you are a congressman you had no say.

Its not my problem its not helping anyone and maybe the people who passed it should have read it before they passed it.

June 22, 2011 at 12:17 | Report abuse |
  13. Doug Ewing

Read the O. Henry short story, "the Cop and the Anthem." It is the same story, of course O. Henry has his own special twist to it.

June 22, 2011 at 11:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. stacie

ObamaCare won't help him – he'll simply be put on a waiting list for a few years.....

June 22, 2011 at 11:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. M1keBTC

religon has anything to do with heath care?? im a a romen catholic and i feel that health care should be provided to everyone. i feel you all hide behind this sheild of religion to blaim and to justify actions and its just plain wrong.

June 22, 2011 at 11:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Larry

Wasn't Jesus a homeless hermit who led a group of homeless men and relied completely on the kindness of strangers?

June 22, 2011 at 11:18 | Report abuse |
  16. the_dude

Hey baby boomers not everything is free in life. Maybe this dummy should have planned for the future when he was younger instead of smoking pot and cigarettes. Another baby boomer who thinks everything should just be handed to them.....what a shock.

June 22, 2011 at 11:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Darrell Wiley

First I have to say that I'm glad things are working out for your brother and that he got coverage. But the problem I have is in the first line of your post. You say your macho brother never applied for insurance until he got sick. You completely miss the point of insurance. Health insurance only works when the risk of a claim is spread across both healthy and sick people combined. There is no magic pot of money that appears to the insurance company when somebody files a $98,000 claim like your brother. He SHOULD have been paying into a major medical insurance plan all his life. Instead, he waited to get sick before trying to get insurance. If you owned an insurance company would you sell a homeowner's policy to someone who called and said, "Help, my house is on fire!" Of course not, but that's what your brother asked the insurance company to do. I'm sorry he got sick and as i said before, I'm glad he's got coverage. But who do you think is paying for his treatment. The answer is "All of the other people insured by that company that have been paying for years. And everyone's premium is higher than it has to be because your brother chose not to buy coverage until he got sick. Our medical system is sick and needs repair but I'm not ready to give up freedoms with Obamacare. Our system is still the envy of most of the civilized world. It needs to be fixed, not replaced.

June 22, 2011 at 11:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Robert

My wife has brain cancer.
    A year in to her treatments she was also diagnosed with radiation necrosis which caused moderate (so far) dementia.
    I don't have a wife anymore.
    I have a time bomb.
    We had 12 and a half years of the greatest marriage ever, but now Ilook at her with fear as much as I do with pity.
    if the dementia progresses and I would have to take her to a nursing home.
    I/we would lose EVRYTHING.
    EVERYTHING we both ever saved for in 31 years of working.
    We saved in ways even Dave Ramsey couldn't match and we were just 2 years from seeing the fruits of this labor and discipline blossom..
    Then at 50 years old she is diagnosed with GBM.
    I struggle with therapies to keep her tumor from growing back and to keep her head above water cognitively.
    It is exhausting, frantic and to say the least STRESSFUL.
    But, If I lose this battle with my loved one and she would require around the clock care, my life would be over too.
    The costs would be catostrophic.
    And it just shouldn't be this way.
    I think Rostenkowski may have had it right?

June 22, 2011 at 11:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hello

Bless you and your family Robert. I will pray for you.
      Many Blessings.

June 22, 2011 at 11:41 | Report abuse |
    • Alison

That is an absolute shame. I am so sorry Robert. I hope your life doesn't head in that direction and that your wife doesn't get any worse.

Again, potential financial ruin because of something that isn't preventable by the people involved. Health care in this country is a disgrace.

June 22, 2011 at 11:57 | Report abuse |
    • Ken

@Robert – Please try to find a support group to help you through this stressful time with your wife. My dad is in a similar situation with my mother who had a devastating stroke several years ago. Both you, my Dad, and thousands of other decent, hardworking Americans deserve better than this. The United States needs to join the rest of the civilized world and provide universal health care to its citizens. Endless wars and welfare for the wealthy do not a democracy make.

June 22, 2011 at 12:11 | Report abuse |
    • Jim Daly

Robert – my apologies go out to your and your family.

But I must ask you this question. After you lost your 'wife' and were given a 'timebomb.' Did you ever ask yourself, what is a life worth? at some point you have to realize we can't cure everything. Is it better to let go? or to loose everything to afford treatments that will only work for a short time, until the disease comes back again. bigger better and stronger.

May peace be with you all.

June 22, 2011 at 14:17 | Report abuse |
  19. poppop44

What have we learned in 2,064 years

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled,
public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be
tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should
be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to
work, instead of living on public assistance."

Cicero – 55 BC – poppop recalls in 2011

June 22, 2011 at 11:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Scotty2010

Really can't fault the man for his logic.

June 22, 2011 at 11:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. north2south

I would love to be able to purchase my own insurance. Unfortunately my kids and I have a nasty addiction to survival. I wish I could just go three whole months without trying to decide which bill can wait till next time around. My credit is destroyed because I have student loans going back to the '90s that I'm still trying to pay off and I have medical bills from kidney problems that I had no insurance to cover. I was getting it through work recently but when you only take home between $450 and $650 every two weeks and they take out $160 every check it makes no sense. I would much rather make arrangements to pay something off than have to tell my two children that tonight is a dinner-free night because I had to buy something as expensive as insurance. My husband's employer went out of business and now we lost our home and have to move out of state because his family is there and we can't afford to live here anymore. It drives me crazy when people argue over this stuff. If I could afford it I would buy it, just like I would buy a TV or a car that always starts or brand-name cereal. I would have a dryer to go with the broken washer and a refrigerator that always stayed cold. I would have furniture that didn't belong to someone else before me. But I can't do any of that stuff. So if I can't do any of that stuff how does Obama think I can buy insurance?

June 22, 2011 at 11:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Common Sense

Wow the Communists are out today

June 22, 2011 at 11:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Jordan

The real truth is that americans and S.A.D.(the standard american diet) are moneymakers for the doc's and especially the pharmaceutical company's. The money is in the disease and no the cure and it's a billion dollar industry. They have stockholders to answer to so they need you good and unhealthy so they can keep the yachts and mansions. If everybody were to become healthy tommorrow they would go bankrupt. They can't have that so their money is the #1 motivation and your health a distant 2nd. It's a business. Get healthy and take care of yourself and you help yourself to not needing the symptom treating modern medical system. if everybody does that then the rules of supply and demand that dictate the prices that this medical business set are influenced in our direction. If the demand goes down the prices for the most part will as well. Get away from S.A.D.

June 22, 2011 at 11:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Jeremy

When I see this kind of story I thank my lucky stars every day to be born in Canada where our clever combination of capitalism and socalism mixes to produce a county that looks after its own citizens. You would never have to rob a bank to be cared for in Canada – healthcare is a right that everyone in the developed world should enjoy.

June 22, 2011 at 11:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bruce

I think that if I read Canadian papers and followed the Canadian news blogs I would find stories equally appalling. The last thing I saw posted from Canada was rioting in Vancouver. What was the headline? "Forty two injured treated for free due to Canadian Health Plan!"?

June 22, 2011 at 11:27 | Report abuse |
    • Ken

@Jeremy – yes, you are lucky to be in Canada. What you are seeing in the US is unbridled capitalism without any compassion at all. It's Greed Over People down here. Our current President is trying to do something about this, but is blocked at every turn by the corporate state.

June 22, 2011 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
  25. clay

there will always be a percentage of the population that is in need ...for whatever reason. . ...it doesn't matter how you try to manipulate the system to get them off the ground. ...trying to save everyone just doesn't work.

June 22, 2011 at 11:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. poppop44

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled,
 public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be
tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should
be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to
work, instead of living on public assistance."

Cicero – 55 BC – recalled by poppop44 – 2011

June 22, 2011 at 11:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. West Coast Dad

The sad fact in the United States is that there are some people who work hard for a living and cannot afford the same health care as those who don't work. The unemployed and under employed who qualify for medicaid usually have better health care than those who make 30 to 50 K per year if there employer does not provide health insurance.

June 22, 2011 at 11:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Kit

Health Care is privilage not a right, such as free speech and should not be given to anyone for free or such a low cost that it hurts others in society. But with that being said, the only way to get afforable health care coverage is through an employer (if they offer the benefit) or groups formed by professional organizations. Remember the largest number of employers are small businesses, who are very challenged to offer health care benefits. For those opposed to Universal health care Coverage – and I am not one of them – the other option is to have a retail or consumer market for health care. that would mean I could go out and shop around to various insurance providers and be offered plans that did not put me in a risk group of 1, so that the cost of my plan is sky high. The problem with starting this is that insurance companies will not have a tipping point for individuals signing up for such plans, so the risk to them is too high. This is why the gov't was trying to mandate that everyone must have coverage. This allows the insurance companies to reduce their exposure.

We clearly must do something. Mr Verona may have been trying to get 15 minutes of fame and game the system, but he clearly was driven too it. There will be many more we will not hear about, and we could end up with a generation of elderly homeless people due to the healthcare costs they do incur.

We Must Find A Solution!

June 22, 2011 at 11:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. classwar20

a Universal, Non-profit, Public, Single-payer Healthcare for All, Now! anything else is unacceptable.

June 22, 2011 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Billy, NYC

Again, this is another example of the broken health care system in US. Mark my words – The healthcare insurance cost will continue to go UP and UP because this is the fundemental truth of a profit making business model; including Rx cost. Senior citizens will have to pay more money out of their limited income in their retirement age. The longer they live, the poorer they will become. Not everyone retired with pension and big savings. There are many stories in US that seniors are living in the basement of their grown children to make ends meet and reduces living cost because they have to buy their expensive medications and pays medical bills. You better be old and poor so that you can qualify for Medicaid and Medicare. More stories like this 59 years old bank robber are yet to be told.

June 22, 2011 at 11:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. guest

How is this a robbery. Sure he said it was, but it was more of a request than a robbery

June 22, 2011 at 11:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. CTran

Replace the current HC with one that includes everyone, that means EVERYONE, from the President down to every single one in congress, and watch they scramble to fix HC. Vote the bums out (possibly almost all of congress) and replace them with ones who do it right by the voters.

June 22, 2011 at 11:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. classwar20

95% of the medical doctors have always vehemently opposed a Universal Non-profit Single-payer Healthcare. they have expenses for their yachts, private jets, vacation homes here and abroad, and have to pay their gardners, maids, chauffers, private schools, nannies, cooks, money managers, you see. if anything, they need to charge you more for a bandages and presceibe drugs that hurt you, not help you. they don't like it but what else can they do?

June 22, 2011 at 11:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Hello

Very mysterious Mr. Wizard1, but well played. 🙂

June 22, 2011 at 11:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Myles

Walls and walls of meaningless drivel. Fact is the guy just needs to start drinking and smoking heavily, maybe even get himself a heroin habit. Get this life done with and move on to whatever is next if there even is anything. He's obviously living in Hell on Earth to be acting this way so what's the point in staying. Matter of fact, someone just get him a gun and some ammo. Chances are pretty high at this point he'd use it on himself before anyone else.

June 22, 2011 at 11:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Scott

Republicans are but-cking 9astards that are letting Americans die so they can take in money to fund their elections. Bottom Line.

June 22, 2011 at 11:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • classwar20

my family pays 1100 dollars a month for the cheapest worthless Fallon plan with 3000 deductible and no dental or eye coverage. i have no option under the obomber "universal corporate (insurance and doctors) robbery."

June 22, 2011 at 12:09 | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

Obamacare passed! Why is it republicans fault if its failing people already or not fully in effect until 2014?

June 22, 2011 at 12:18 | Report abuse |
  37. street smart

Let the revolution now begin......

June 22, 2011 at 12:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. classwar20

blame the slaves themselves for their poverty though they work and produce wealth.

the parasites have sucked the host body dry. let both the parastes and the host body perish.

June 22, 2011 at 12:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. journalgirl

Social Security is not a government benefit/handout. The government has drilled that into everyone's heads until we believe the lie.
    Sen. Barry Goldwater said it best, "The government takes away the money to pay for your Social Security and then attempts to characterize its' return to you as a bequeath from a benevolent government."

The government took the money as a tax for the stated purpose of supporting you in retirement. The government robbed the funds, spending them on general fund projects and programs. There is no record of the general populous of this country approving the use of those funds for any of those purposes.

June 22, 2011 at 12:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Sara

Well he is creative at best and honest.

June 22, 2011 at 12:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Ariel

Someone argued about their 2-year old having to eventually pay for someone's health care in the future. Sure. In a few years when your 2-year old is in school, there will be some old people out there who no longer go to school and no longer have children in school but who are paying property taxes which largely pay for public schools. So if all goes well, your daughter will go to school, graduate, probably attend college, get a job, pay taxes, get old. Hopefully, she won't need much in the way of health care when she is old, but if she does then whomever is currently part of the work force will be paying taxes which cover things like health care for those who need it and then they will get their turn to be old and need health care. Why is everyone so hell bent on having to cover only their own expenses? Say you're single with no children and own a house and pay property taxes which again cover the public schools. Maybe right now you're not directly influenced by whether or not children get a decent education, but you will be in 20 years when you're living with a bunch of people who can't even tie their shoes.

Same with this guys health care. If he ends up in jail for 3 years, your tax money is paying to keep him incarcerated and also for his health care. I dunno. I think the basic idea of this stuff is pretty simple. It's all "circle of life" - I guess if you prefer we could just send all the 5 year-old's to the factory (no need for kindergarten) where they can just assemble stuff for 12 hours a day and they can just start paying their own way in the world right off the bat. Frankly, I prefer the kindergarten model...but that's just me. Your opinion may differ.

June 22, 2011 at 12:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. J

It's sad that people have to stoop to that level to get health insurance. It goes to show you that the cost of health insurance is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE. Besides, I think health insurance is one big scam and a way for insurance companies to reel in your premiums without approving your claims.

June 22, 2011 at 13:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Liz

Feel free to contact an ERISA attorney and get the story straight. The immediate requirement states that you can not deny ENROLLMENT. But a plan can still apply pre-existing condition rules to adults until 1/1/14.

June 22, 2011 at 13:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Maude

The reasons health care cost are high is because these hospital services (leeches) charge so much money for the services they render. Cost of one asprin is a thousand dollars. Don't you guys get it ? The insurance company owns the hospitals, drug companies and related services. They charge the consumer high premiums, get money from the government (medicare), and reap the profits from hospitals when you pay them directly.

Good luck you all !!

June 22, 2011 at 13:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. CMS

The U.S. equivalent of a Tunisian fruit salesman dousing himself with gasoline

June 22, 2011 at 14:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Joseph Olson

I am trying to better myself. I took a new position for more pay. But, it will be 2 months before my new insurance takes over. In the meantime they offered me COBRA. At the tune of $700/mo. just for myself and my wife. Lets see I bring home about $2600/mo. $1000 rent and we are at the season of $200-$400/mo. electricity costs. Where am I to come up with that money? I still have car payments and other bills like student loans. This is why we need to have regulations on health insurance companies. It needs to be at least sustainable for someone like myself. I have pre-existing conditions and am likely to be able to get any insurance on my own. So, I likely will have to grin and bear it for two months without my meds because I cannot afford $2000/mo. for my Type I diabetes meds.

June 22, 2011 at 14:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Joseph Olson

Mike volunteer fire departments are all they are cracked up to be. In a typical house fire the size doubles every minute. The average response time of the volunteer fire department we had was 7 minutes. In other worlds the majority of the time when they arrived the house was a total loss. That is why volunteer fire departments aren't the answer.

June 22, 2011 at 14:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. The Jackdaw

3 hots and a cot, HBO, Medical coverage, no work and socilizing. You know, prison dosen't sound that bad some days.

June 22, 2011 at 15:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. CSIowa

I read the arguments and the blame on Obama Care and so forth. Where are the complaints regarding the Insurance Companies themselves that make billions of dollars a year in profits. Why is health insurance so expensive? My husband pays for a family plan that cost around 1300.00 per month. If we go to the Dr. one time a year we are lucky but heaven forbid we not have it. So where is that money going? Right into the pockets of the insurance companies. Neither the Republicans or the Democrats want to touch that subject due to the money they receive from the insurance companies for their campaigns to lie to all of us.

June 22, 2011 at 15:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • N H T K -12

@CSIowa
      You are right, no one is willing to that problem, because they will not offend those with whom they are in alliance! Also, the insane charges Hospitals charge. A stay overnight for a broken arm should not cost insane 31,000 dollars. But that's what they charged, NOT including Doctors bill. It is LEGALIZED CRIME, it's EXTORTION. And it is legal because of our corrupt government officials who betray American people every time laws are written. Why is it that American people are just taking and taking this kind of abuse?! It's manipulation, it's blackmail, it's Feudalism in most deceptive form! We are NOT a free people, and this is not a democracy! Americans have been duped, and are being made fools out of!

June 23, 2011 at 14:14 | Report abuse |
  50. Lori

I don't know what the answer is. I am a single mom with two children, went to college...I have always had insurance until the last two years. Lost my job, benefits, income was cut in half...am responsible and got a new job and now make just over the amount to qualify for any assistance for medical, yet cannot afford on my own. Not having insurance and trying to find a way to get it has really opened my eyes. NO ONE wants to see you...NO ONE. So, then you are forced to go to emergency room and they charge you $5,000 for a kidney stone, when you had no money to begin with (hospital said they'd cut it in half if I paid cash). Assistance is not as easy to get as many think. So many know how to lie and abuse the system that those of us who finally turn to it in a pinch are denied or put on waiting lists. It's a humiliating process, I must say. My kids were elligible for a few months of assistance...their regular pediatrician wouldn't see them, we had to go to dirty medical facility where they saw a Nurse Practioner, doctors are for the insured. Now, we do not qualify for assistance nor can I afford insurance. I was a paralegal for an oil and gas company...I went back to school to get a degree to ensure a good job several years ago...and now it seems a wasted effort. I don't like how 'Obamacare' is structured and I'm not a socialist...but, something needs to be done. Medical care is over-priced and unattainable to those whose employers do not offer coverage or who are independently wealthy. Making just above the qualifying income for assistance seems to make you more poor than those who qualify. I cannot seem to get back where we came from...jobs just aren't paying what they used to...very frustrating!

June 22, 2011 at 15:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RightTurn

The golden goose was slain by unions and lawyers. "Jobs" are history. All well and good that you went to college - now use that to find a self-enterprising way to make a living. "Invent" an income. Employment has steadily gone down since Obummer took office (and he told you how he hated corporations and capitalism) .. he believes in socialism like his pal Bill Ayers .. Obumnmer care will be little more than BSA First Aid. But a 1st Aid kit at 99 cent store = Obuimmer care Figure out how to do something others will give you cash to do. Call it a job and do it well.

June 22, 2011 at 16:35 | Report abuse |
    • N H T K -12

Lori, your story shows just in how bad shape this county is, and what life is really like for ordinary people!

Right Turn, the golden goose has laid all the eggs she had, now all the eggs are in Corporate Mafia's accounts! There is nothing left for us the surfs but to scrub floors on which the corporate fat cats walk, and gather the crumbs from under their tables. It just cracks me up the way you moral conservative retards keep harping how everyone should be self-enterprising and inventing.... You people are stuck with your heads in your a$$es

June 22, 2011 at 22:01 | Report abuse |
    • DN3

I feel badly for hard working honest Americans that find themselves without health insurance. I think your system is ludicrous especially when people are told they make too much to qualify for coverage but don't have the money to pay put of pocket!!! The scenario of trying to get as many scraps from the dinner table of a fat cat sounds exactly like the "trickle-down" effect GOPs hold so dearly.

June 23, 2011 at 00:27 | Report abuse |