home
RSS
June 21st, 2011

Man says he robbed bank to get health care

A man walks into a bank and slips a note to the teller.

The note reads: “This is a bank robbery. Please only give me one dollar.”

Then the man tells the bank employees, “I’ll be sitting right over there in the chair waiting for the police."

He perches himself on a chair outside the bank he just robbed and waits for the police to arrive.

That suspect, James Verone, who is from Gaston County, North Carolina, told CNN affiliate WCNC that he robbed a bank for $1 for the sole reason of getting in jail so he could get free health care. He was not armed during the robbery.

Verone, 59, told WCNC he doesn’t have health insurance, but has a host of medical problems: A growth on his chest, two ruptured disks and a problem with his left foot.  Without a job and money, he reached the conclusion that going to jail would mean free medical care (although it's not free for taxpayers).

“I wanted to make it known that this wasn't for monetary reasons, but for medical reasons," Verone said.  His jailhouse interview with the station is above.

The logic, he told the news station, was to get a three-year sentence so he can get out of jail then collect Social Security and then later live in a Myrtle Beach condo.

Verone told his local paper, The Gaston Gazette that he had worked as a delivery man for Coca-Cola for 17 years.  That career ended three years ago, and he couldn’t find steady employment.  Then the medical problems began.  He lived off his savings and sought a part-time job.

The police charged him with larceny, not bank robbery, because of the $1 amount he demanded at the bank. Verone told his hometown paper if the jail penalty isn’t great enough, the crime will happen again.

Verone told WCNC, "I guess I am manipulating the courts to get medical care."

Is Verone’s story an example of one man gaming the system or a product of a flawed health care in America? Sound off below.

soundoff (1,430 Responses)
  1. scott

He should renounce his citizenship and become an illegal alien. He would then get all of the free health care he needs.

June 22, 2011 at 07:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Kate Dorsey

Interesting question I am currently on SSD last year I developed PAD that was threatening both of my legs and so aggressive that it needed constant monitoring. After 4 surgeries I was declared permanently disabled. Due to a 31 day lapse in coverage I cannot get any insurance coverage for the condition for one full year. I stand a chance of loosing my legs due to the delay and I pay 500.00 per month for that full year for medical coverage. Are you all crazy the system sucks I finally discovered that if I had simply not gotten coverage for 6 months I could have gotten insurance which would have covered it and was cheaper through the same company. It took the insurance company 6 month to let my doctors know that they would not pay them and left me with both health insurance bills and doctors bills that I cannot afford on fixed income. What is wrong with this picture. This is why people will do anything for health care. To be the most advanced people in the world our health care system is out of the middle ages. And I think that "Obama Care" will at least solve some problems, certainly not all. We are too stupid to think for ourselves and believe that people who only give breaks to the rich make sense. Wake up America some things should be guaranteed like education and healthcare and housing, especially to those who have contributed all of their lives to the betterment of our country. I thought I would work until I was 70, my body thought otherwise and now I look at life possibly with no legs because I did the right things.

June 22, 2011 at 07:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Rob

Congress sold-out America 20 yeas ago. Congress should have to pay for all of the people that were sold-out!!!!! out of there own pocket S>>MotherF>>kers FREE Country all right 4 rich only

June 22, 2011 at 07:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Peter E

Australia is our more conservative cousin (recall, Rupert Murdoch himself is Australian) that consistently ranks well above the US in economic freedom. And yet they too still have universal health care. Why? Because they know that while the profit motive is okay in some aspects of life, and wealth is a worthy goal, the well being of human beings is much more important than any profit price tag you can place on it. So even the conservative Australians are uncomfortable with someone deciding their health care based on profit margins.

June 22, 2011 at 07:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Mimi

Very Sad!

June 22, 2011 at 07:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. nonsense

Quite seriously, I have thought of going to jail because I have no family, no property, no savings and will get a minimum amount of pension a few years from now. At least in a jail I would have a roof over my head. I am terrified of becoming homeless. I am 60 and perfectly healthy. My other option is suicide.

June 22, 2011 at 07:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Judith

This sort of thing has been going on for years. It just hasn't hit the media before. Back in '94 a local guy would got thru his routine of holding up a convenience store every time he ran out of his HIV meds. It's truly pathetic that a person would need to resort to doing something like this to get help but what else can these people do? And please don't respond with the glib- "get a job" response. Even people with jobs and so-called health insurance still cannot afford the care they need. It kills me to watch my brother struggling to walk and have to climb in and out of the semi he drives, all because he can't afford the total knee replacement he so desperately needs. A $4,000 deductible?!!! Great insurance from a huge wealthy company!

June 22, 2011 at 07:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Limbaugh is a liberal

Would you rather pay a low premium into a common pool of money to make sure everyone gets the preventative health care they need, or would you let them rot until they need far more expensive emergency care that now you'll have to pay with much higher premiums?
    Because the latter is the current health care system in America. People are falsely led to believe that by excluding those who are too poor from paying for health care they can save money. In fact, it becomes much more expensive this way because then the poor will delay their ailments until they have to get expensive emergency care and YOU still have to pay for that in premiums/taxes.
    But then again, who am I to challenge the 'freedom' of health provider and insurance corporations to cash in big on your money?

June 22, 2011 at 07:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jason

I love living in an ass backwards country.

June 22, 2011 at 07:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • just a guy

then move.

June 22, 2011 at 09:28 | Report abuse |
  10. tony

very sad to see some have to rob banks to get healthcare in the US but you have only yourselves to blame. You put profits ahead of everything and preach small government. Get rid of those HMO's its very oubvious who they truly care about..... the almighty dollars and mega profits. true my country's healthcare sometime sucks cause we have to wait long times for some treatment but benefits are so much more worth it. for example, I was admitted for a week, given all tests needed and treatment needed including an emergency operation. the cost was in the 200 thousand plus the only bill OHIP did not cover was the 125 dollars ambulance drive. I AM ALIVE thanks to my nationalized healthcare and I did not loose my home. So sit down and discuss your healthcare and show the finger to the HMO's.

June 22, 2011 at 07:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. OscarSchmidt

".....going to jail would mean free medical care (although it's not free for taxpayers)." How unbiased there in the parentheses!

June 22, 2011 at 07:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. POD

How much worse can prison be than a for profit nursing home for the poor.......

June 22, 2011 at 07:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Jimmy Cracorn

I think what scares me most about our health care system is the fact that you could work your a$$ off for 30 years and the get some horrible disease and there goes your whole life's savings and your home. Then what do you do?

June 22, 2011 at 07:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. CarmenSo

Naw we don't need to revamp our Health insurance in the US. This man has come up with the perfect solution. Can't get healthcare rob a bank. If you don't get caught you might have money to pay the hospitals and doctors if you do get caught you get sent to prison where you get three meals a day and free healthcare. Its a win win for everyone really

June 22, 2011 at 07:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. perspective

Live in a Myrtle Beach condo off of Social Security, Verone needs a reality check. If his plan to have taxpayers burden the cost of his health, gets out of jail at 63, finds employment, tries to buy a condo with say a 15 year loan, that puts him around 80 to finish paying for a condo using Social Security – not! While in jail, get some free financial advice to help live within your means. I am also 59, have a job and family, live at the coast and live within our means. If I did not have any chance at a job, then things would be totally different. Verone has some difficult choices but crime may not be his best option – and you have to consider the judges – they may be less than sympathetic about his tactic. Putting Verone in jail for health care could cause a tsunami of petty criimes showing up in courts around the country – I am not sure that any judge would take that risk.

June 22, 2011 at 07:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Blue Independent

This one guys has proved the case for a public option based universal health care reform more than the president or the democrats could do.

June 22, 2011 at 07:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Mike

The nerve of this guy! Throw him in jail!!!

He is a hero. Wait until we have hundreds of thousands that follow his lead- I love it!

June 22, 2011 at 07:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Mike Distance

America is the greatest country in the world!
    We have the most FREEDOM. We have the most freedom because we have the most laws!
    We need to end healthcare to criminals, let them all rot, die and diseased.
    Those without healthcare don't have it because they are too lazy to work. We need to end all the free rides, no more welfare, no more soup kitchens, no more unemployment, etc. It's time to put an end to the liberal ideals that are destroying our economy and to start rewarding the people who work the hardest. Imagine you bust your butt all your life and become wealthy only to find out your hard earned money is going to pay for poor people to eat. That is just disgusting, let the poor die, I'd prefer 1 rich man than a 1000 poor men.

June 22, 2011 at 07:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • nonsense

His other option is to become a criminal and rob you, mug you or break into your house to get what he wants. Your choice.

June 22, 2011 at 08:27 | Report abuse |
    • mibinohio

@nonsense: The guy isn't very adept at robbing banks. I'd wager that his breaking into Mike's place would most likely result in a lead injection that would cure him of his current health issues.

June 22, 2011 at 08:36 | Report abuse |
    • nonsense

I think the guy has guts. How many of us have thought of protesting against the establishment and never actually done it? He could become a skilled burglar if he puts his mind to it 🙂

June 22, 2011 at 08:39 | Report abuse |
    • getavasectomy

I hope you are sterile so you don't contribute to the gene pool.

June 22, 2011 at 09:51 | Report abuse |
  19. Anathoth

It's actually pretty clever wonder how many copycats this will spawn?

June 22, 2011 at 08:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. pat39

Maybe if he'd spent a little more time over that 17 years at Coca-Cola actually trying to better himself he wouldn't of needed to rob a bank . Apparently he has very low initiative and ambition. A classic "taker", never did what was needed to get ahead in life or did as little as possible over his 17 year delivery career. This guy is the type of guy that always waits on a hand out and depends on others to take care of him. I not suprised this guy is now using tax payer money and tying up our legal system to take care of himself.

June 22, 2011 at 08:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Sagewy

I'm guessing the guy is not familiar with the criminal justice health care system; I work in it. Pretty sad story.

June 22, 2011 at 08:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Pat

We now know why he was unemployed; he's incompetent.
    He can't even get himself arrested for bank robbery.
    When they release him, he should go find a bridge instead of a bank.

June 22, 2011 at 08:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Sagewy

Excellent response. Thank you.

June 22, 2011 at 08:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Nancy

For every person out there complaining about 'Obama Care", shut up!. Until you have to self insure and you do not have a company sponsored group plan you have no idea what is wrong. With the compromises made on "obama care" with the republicans, it is basically not effective in helping anyone. We needed a government plan we could buy into, not a hand out, just someone not trying to make a profit or at least not a huge one. With the changes, insurance companies cannot deny a child with pre-existing conditions, guess what they did, no one under 19 can be a primary on a new policy. So if you need an insurance policy for your child you HAVE to be the primary. Those cheap rates you get the quotes from the insurance co? Guess what, they don't exist. They can actually raise the rates 300%! Self insuring is expensive, and if you have any prior medical problems you are not going to get insurance or those are not going to be covered. They even consider a C-section from 7 yrs ago a higher risk on a policy that does not cover pregnancy.

June 22, 2011 at 08:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Hideaous Healthcare

Why do people think that if America converts to a Universal Healthcare system, like those in Canada and Europe, that healthcare will improve at all? The government can't afford to pay for the social services in place now. Why, if we add yet another social service to the American taxpayer's plate, does anyone think things will be different or better?

The warning signs to the American taxpayer should be that Congress will not use the proposed healthcare system. What makes Congress so special? Why do they want something else if Universal Healthcare is so great? Healthcare needs to be revamped entirely. It's not a R or D issue, it's a human issue, and something has to change.

June 22, 2011 at 08:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Connie Coburg

Sounds familiar, back in the 1770's when Australia was discovered and was being settled, many people stole things like bread etc so they could get transported to Australia to escape the bad life in England. If they survived the journey and served their sentence, they were free... now in Australia we have a medical system called medicare, workers earning over a certain amount pay 1 and half percent of their wage to cover themselves for public hospital treatment, and get a rebate at private doctors. Those who do not work and are on benefits receive a health care card and do not pay anything and still receive basic healthcare. I do not understand why a country like America cannot look after its own. They tout the words communism, please explain that one, when communism looks after its people, or is supposed to. Sure it is a socialist (socialism) policy, but if the people benefit from it, who cares...these ISMs have changed over time, but appears that Americans, those in power, still see communism/socialism as a bad bad thing for their people. Frankly I think that allowing their own to die of preventable diseases etc is murder and those in power should be brought to justice. This guy who robbed a bank for a lousy dollar has the right idea and those in power (and actually care for their people) should stand up and take notice that the world is watching and judging. After all didn't Saddam Hussian suffer the consequences by not looking after his people, or was just about oil and the USA having their noses out of joint because he was alive? Shame on America for not looking after it’s people! SHAME SHAME SHAME.

June 22, 2011 at 08:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JP

Just keep that Australian socialism in Australia; don't try exporting it to America. By the way, American streets are not filled with dead bodies because many didn't have health care.

June 22, 2011 at 09:43 | Report abuse |
    • jaysee

ALL THESE PPLE CRYING FOR PRIVATE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM ARE TOOLS... SO YOU TELLING ME ALL SCHOOL SYSTEM
      SHOULD BE PRIVATE TOO ?? IF YOU CANT AFFORD THEN DONT GET EDUCATION.. DOUBLE STANDARDS HERE IN IT?

June 22, 2011 at 09:57 | Report abuse |
    • mrsmoothalways

@ connie, excellent point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 22, 2011 at 09:58 | Report abuse |
    • DBrooks

I agree with you Connie. The difference between Australia healthcare cost and USA healthcare cost is extreme. The doctors here in the USA are accustomed to making 100K/yr or better. Tack on the high inflation and high hospital/supply costs. For example, my wife was hospitalized for one night in a public hospital. She was not in ICU, she was in a regular ward. Standard tests and one night stay cost us 14,000 dollars! If you want to know what's wrong with USA health care, right there it is. It's the price. Since health care has simply regulated itself over all these years, cost has grown unchecked from pharm companies forward. Regulate them and their prices and you will see a different system.

June 22, 2011 at 09:59 | Report abuse |
    • CW

Failure #1,481,515,265,262 of For-Profit Healthcare.

June 22, 2011 at 10:38 | Report abuse |
    • angrysmell

so true, JP. america is all about appearances.

June 22, 2011 at 10:44 | Report abuse |
    • PRISM 1234

JP, the proud American!
      How does it feel to sti-ck your proud patri-otic chest out, yet be so blind as not to see further from your own nose? You say there are no dead bodies on American streets.
      Few years ago a mother and daughter in a neighboring county commit-ted suicide . They both had medical condit-ions, and no one cared for them. They were those of forgotten ones, the kind that you and your ilk pretend not to exist.

Just wait, JP, you proud co-cky American! Your chickens will come home to you! Let a misfortune hit your family, and see how will you fare then! You think your padded nest egg will last? ..... When the vultures get done with you, you'll eat every dog gone word you so proudly spewed! You'll see!

It's you and your kind that keeps this country in the shape it is! And you think it's just great, don't you? Get a life, man! There is a world around you that has bypassed you!

June 22, 2011 at 15:59 | Report abuse |
  27. Ally

I have tried that, they all tell me that the law doesn't go into effect until 2014. I have been denied by every one.

June 22, 2011 at 08:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. ZweiStein

The Canadians I know love their health care system.

June 22, 2011 at 08:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cambric

The ones I know don't "love" it, they accept it. How about needing surgery but if it's not considered 'emergency', you can wait months? There are many pros and cons to your health care, if you live in Canada...but we have over 300 MILLION people here in the US, it's not feasible. I don't have a job and I can't get insurance.

I broke my back 14 years ago and I need another surgery otherwise I might become paralyzed. My feet are numb, I'm not allowed to lift more than 20lbs, and can't find a job. But I'm still NOT in favor of Obamacare!! Society shouldn't have to support me! It's my responsibility and I'll make it through, I don't want ANY government to tell me how I have to do things.

The United States of America is based on the FREEDOM of our citizens. More the government gives...the more people take...the more they want...the more the government has control over your life.

June 22, 2011 at 08:50 | Report abuse |
    • sardukar

Obviously you dont know enough...

June 22, 2011 at 09:01 | Report abuse |
    • mibinohio

@ Cambric: I applaud your self-reliance and I share your thoughts that my health is MY responsibility. My family is MY responsibility. My father has health issues. My husband and I take care of him. We make sure he has food, clothing, and medical care-OUT OF OUR OWN POCKET. I do not expect others to be responsible for my father's care. He is my father, my responsibility.

June 22, 2011 at 09:01 | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

@Cambric
      That right if you decide to die is your fault, where is personal resposibility? why did you decided to get hurt? don't come to us for help.. If you decide to die is your fault..

Michelle Baughman
      Tea Party..

June 22, 2011 at 09:03 | Report abuse |
    • C.S. Wright

I'm a Canadian who has lived in the U.S. for 11 years now, and I do miss Medicare. Not only is the coverage complete for non-cosmetic reasons, but I've never experienced denial of care or prolonged waits for necessary medical tests or procedures (although the waits in doctors' offices were ridiculous!). Yet Canada spends less per-capita than we do on medical care, while providing universal coverage and a better overall standard of care!

The secret can be seen right here in this thread: community. Some people, who have a concept of compassion and community, and delighted to hear that the original poster's brother is now healthy and able to return to work, while the conservatives could care less. To them, a community is something you gate.

June 22, 2011 at 09:05 | Report abuse |
    • Canadian

Yep, most of us here in Canada are happy with our heathcare system. Especially when we compare it to the US.

June 22, 2011 at 09:05 | Report abuse |
    • Bob from Pittsburgh

I am a canadian living in the USA, I can honestly say the Canadian system is not perfect, Doctors feel that the US system is better, they actualy want to charge more.. just like in the USA, However my personal situation is that it cost me as much here in the USA as it would cost me in Canada, the service is more or less the same, I go to the Hospital here in Pittsburgh and I wait as long as I waited back in Canada.
      If I get sick, very sick with a long term scondition, what system I would choose?

I would get back to Canada as soon as posible.

It will cost me almost the same and no insurance company would deny me coverage. In Canada everybody is cover...

June 22, 2011 at 09:09 | Report abuse |
    • J.S.

It's true... as a Canadian living in the US, I do miss the Canadian system. I never experienced crazy wait times, and while taxes were higher... I didn't have to purchase insurance through a company who benefits by to taking a premium and then denying claims as often as possible.

To any Americans who talk trash about the Canadian system, but have never lived in Canada...... maybe back off on the "socialist" rhetoric. You don't know what you're talking about. I'm not saying a Canadian-style would work here in the U.S., mind you... there are fundamental cultural differences that could make the adoption of such a system problematic.

The truth is, it's every-man-for-himself here in the United States.... and a culture like that promotes the abuse of any government sponsored program. This presents problems with many aspects of the liberal agenda here in the U.S., and you cannot change culture by changing policy.

June 22, 2011 at 09:41 | Report abuse |
    • ProudCanadian

I am Canadian, and love the health care system here. Rich or poor we all go to the same hospitals, same doctors, and get the same care (by and large). The biggest misunderstanding Americans have about the Canadian health care system, is that the wait times are long. That is load of nonsense, for critical life-saving procedures, the wait times are not long at all, and care is provided when needed. My dad got an emergency triple bypass surgery done on 7 days notice at Toronto General Hospital! Cost of surgery and hospital stay $0. Rehab costs $0!

To give you another example. My nephew was born with a cleft lip and palate. His cosmetic surgery was done at the Hospital For Sick Children in Toronto, in two stages, the lip was repaired when he was 4 months old, and the palate when he was just over a year old. Then there was the post surgery stuff, like speech therapy and rehab. Total cost to $0! No copays, no partial pays, nothing! He may need follow up surgery, and already the hospital for sick children is in touch with my sister and her husband to schedule follow up dental treatments, and any other surgery if the plastic surgeon who repaired my nephews palate thinks is needed.

No Canadian will ever rob a bank to get health care. No Canadian will have to declare bankruptcy (40% of all US household bankruptcies come from health care costs) because of health care. Our per capital health care costs are lower than that in the US, and we score higher than the US on almost all health care measures e.g mortality.

The system isnt perfect, but its better than what the US has, where almost 30% of the population (almost 100 million people) are left out of the system because they cannot afford insurance.

June 22, 2011 at 09:43 | Report abuse |
    • Sgt.Serge

Not as much as we like Americans.......... with back handed statements.....

June 22, 2011 at 10:17 | Report abuse |
    • Rosaadriana

Cambric, good for you, now please just crawl under a bridge and die where you can just roll into the river. I don't want to have to pay for your burial either. Since you can't work now you are clearly useless.I thank you for not being a burden on society anymore. Sorry got to go now, I am taking my private jet to the beach house for the week.

June 22, 2011 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
    • Angie

So what happens if you can no longer pay your astronomically overinflated medical bills yourself and your family can't help either. Does that mean you go to the hospital for free care or on welfare? Who do you think is paying for that free care by the way? Everyone is so against regulating the medical system UNTIL they need help. Most of us couldn't afford to break a toe these days, never mind a major and or chronic illness. It's plain disgusting the way the medical/pharmceutical companies are lining their pockets, paying off all the politicians.

June 22, 2011 at 10:44 | Report abuse |
    • cclay715

As an American who used to have phenomenal healthcare coverage now living in Canada, I'd rather be back in the US. My husband and I have arguments all the time over which system is better. It comes down to what you're used to and what you experience while in the system. I had surgery last week for a non-life threatening injury sustained over 6 months ago. 2 trips to the ER proved the doctors didn't do their job hence the need for the surgery. I waited and waited, needed to get a referral to a specialist then waited on the actual procedure. If I could have chosen to pay my deductibles in the US or pay nothing in Canada and go through this all over again, bring me back to the US. BUT, my husband has had nothing wrong and loves the system. It's all based on what you think you know and experiences you've had. I pay tax dollars for addicts to shoot up heroine in a controlled environment so they don't OD and cost the system even more money. Do I think it's right from a moral standpoint? No. Do I think it saves taxpayer dollars in the long-run? Yes. There's not a clear cut answer to whether or not the Canadian healthcare system is better or worse than that in the US; however, the US should take some pointers from the Canadians.

June 22, 2011 at 11:00 | Report abuse |
    • angrysmell

even neanderthals nursed injured tribe members back to health, Cambric. you must be descended from an older strain of humans that bashed in the skulls of a wounded tribe members to feast on the gooey innards.

June 22, 2011 at 11:04 | Report abuse |
  29. Derper5000

Your brotehr is the reason medical care is so expensive. They wait until they get sick to start paying for the insurance.

Where do you think that $98,000 came from? Other peoples premiums,

June 22, 2011 at 08:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Marc B

Another Canadian, here: "Socialist government" ? Did you even attend school ?
    Do you have fire departments paid from taxes ? Socialism.
    Do you have police departments, paid from taxes ? Socialism.
    Do you have roads, paid from taxes ? Socialism.
    Do you have an army, coast guard, navy, air force, paid from taxes ? Socialism.

But: Do you say that America has a "socialist government" ?

I didn't think so.

Think before you swallow fear mongering politicians looking for a cheap vote because they've already been in some special interests' pocket for years.

June 22, 2011 at 08:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob from Pittsburgh

Excellent point..

Most Americans don’t understand the rhetoric..

June 22, 2011 at 09:14 | Report abuse |
    • psh

Yes America does have a socialist government.

June 22, 2011 at 09:26 | Report abuse |
    • Tom from VA

Very good point. America has a lot of socialism in it, some things should never be a for-profit industry. If the fire departments, police departments, and military were for-profit, we'd have a similar problem to what we have with insurance companies – most people couldn't afford the 500/month they would probably charge just to safe your house from a fire or send a police officer over to investigate theft. Fun times.

June 22, 2011 at 09:37 | Report abuse |
    • capitalist123

Just so you know, its not necessary to have publicly controlled fire departments, roads and schools. These are all things the free-market would provide way more efficiently. Instead of having a government monopoly on fire departments, they could've been regulated like normal businesses competing against one another and receiving money from people just like insurance. That way they would work much more efficiently and better.

Public schools too are one of the most terrible social creations. They provide terrible education. They discourage gifted kids from wanting to learn and many dropout. The free market needs an educated public because it needs workers for companies. Therefore, it would provide an education for children whether paid (like it is now except without a choice through taxes) or it may even be free.

Anything that requires the initiation of force is socialism. Just because 51% of the country wants to steal the money from everyone and give it to someone else through "voting," doesn't make the stealing part ok.

You people who tout that GOP is immoral because they don't want to force a people to support others through taxes(stealing) are yourselves immoral. If you are so noble why don't you try producing something and then donating to people in need. Get together with your buddies and and try persuading others to donate to your cause instead of running to the government and making them force others to give money to something you believe in but not everyone else does.

June 22, 2011 at 09:55 | Report abuse |
    • Scott

The GOP spends just as much as the Democrats, they just spend it on a different group of people. Seriously–did the government get any smaller under George W. Bush? NO. Did taxes go down under Ronald Reagan–NO, they went up AND he gave amnesty to illegal immigrants. Neither party gives a crap–both just reward their friends at the expense of the general public.

June 22, 2011 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Capitalist – private fire and police departments? After reading your post I believe you are a serious danger to the United States. Possibly up there with Timothy McVey. If you are so unhappy in the United States, try Somolia. I hear they have private fire and police departments and don't "steal" your money through taxes. In fact, if you'll start a fund, I'll contribute to a one-way ticket there for you.

June 22, 2011 at 10:59 | Report abuse |
    • capitalist123

Who said anything about a private police department? I said private fire department but not police.
      Fire departments were private in the beginning and were later taken over by the government. The free-market provided fire departments.
      Police should be provided by the government because they enforce the law and they wield force. If they were private then we would have an anarchy since they would just start wars between each other.
      Police, military, and courts are the only thing the government should be concerned about. Not how to run the lives of individuals through healthcare, food, and such.

June 26, 2011 at 23:43 | Report abuse |
  31. Aeromechanic.

Ally, the provision of the law about not being able to deny coverage for an existing condition went into effect the moment the law was signed. If you have insurance companies telling you otherwise:

1) Report then to the BBB
    2) You don't want to deal with them anyway for being crappy companies.

June 22, 2011 at 08:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. ConservativeNazi

These folks need to fend for themselves. Survival of the fittest if they cannot afford health care they need to get a job. If they cannot get a job because they don't have a degree too bad...My family passed down lots of money to me and I'm making it...how can't poor people make it out of the cycle? Conservative Republican Nazi's forever! Let's change things back to the way they used to be (definition of conservative) such as women only working in homes, segregation and no worker's rights.

June 22, 2011 at 08:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • TomCom

how do you feel about the public school system? Should we abolish and let the private sector take over.
      If people can't afford they can get a 2nd job. No more socialist school system.

June 22, 2011 at 08:51 | Report abuse |
    • Cambric

"My family passed down lots of money to me"...wow...so you get financially blessed and think everyone else is trash? Tell you what, you give ALL your money away they gave you, have no job and start looking and see how well you do. People are struggling, don't come here with your "...lots of money..." consider yourself blessed and keep your comments to yourself.

June 22, 2011 at 08:52 | Report abuse |
    • Mike C

People, people, please! Do NOT feed the trolls! It only makes them stronger and more bold to attack helpless commenters in the future. Anyone that doesn't see his name and the comments as either purposefully inflammatory or a fail at sarcasm needs to go outside for a break and clear your heads.

June 22, 2011 at 09:04 | Report abuse |
    • BT

This guy is clearly joking - emphasizing that it's MOSTLY (not entirely) the 'have's who take this stance of these issues. Btw... in related news, for the first time 0.1% of the population made 10% of the money and 1% made 20% of it. YET, we give these people tax cuts while the rest of us can't get health care or even find a job. Obama's not great, but he has a crappy congress to work with, a super-conservative Supreme Court, and waiting too many people hoping for miracles. This is real life though, not a fairy tale.

June 22, 2011 at 09:04 | Report abuse |
    • Effelbee

Great tongue in cheek comment!

June 22, 2011 at 09:08 | Report abuse |
  33. M.A.

Arguing and hate certainly can't be healthy.

June 22, 2011 at 08:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. TomCom

Agree, we have a bad policy but no company will accept us for another.

June 22, 2011 at 08:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Elaine

All I know is that I am 63 years old and have been working for 45 years and can not even think of leaving my job due to the high costs of medical, prescriptions, dental care etc. I wish that we had affordable health care

June 22, 2011 at 08:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Albert Friday

He didn’t have to do this. Just get elected and then rob the healthcare.

June 22, 2011 at 08:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. mibinohio

@ A.Goodwin: Sounds like either a business opportunity for you, or a good reason for a relocation for those in cities (plural) that don't like all those chemicals in their food. Be self sufficient.

June 22, 2011 at 08:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Soshulizm

This guy is full of it. Why would anyone risk getting killed for health insurance. Just a way to divert the issue: He is a criminal.

June 22, 2011 at 08:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • really?

Yeah, he's a felon. He stole a whole buck. Not a criminal like the Wall Street bankers who stole almost 800 billion dollars, but close...

June 22, 2011 at 11:30 | Report abuse |
  39. free thinker

health care should be a a basic human right. and basic health care should be non for profit. period.
    until humanity becomes the prevailing "religion," the social and economic disparities will continue to rise.
    "Truth is still thawing and people are still awakening."
    Nunti Sunya

June 22, 2011 at 09:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. MargaritaFind

As long as " the media" play this his way ... it will only mean more copy cats and millions of dollars lost on rehabing crimals, who like this "weasal", aren't beyond help and are not harden crimals but could be assests to society. Don't allow him in the system. Parole him so the state of NC will not be resposible for him in their Criminal system's health budget.

For his antics, do the math. His medical cost in one week would exceed the cost of a one year group therapy of 12 minor offenders.

June 22, 2011 at 09:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Amanda

If the Republicans and the GOP would STOP HOLDING THINGS UP maybe we would be on the road to a better healthcare system by now. The Republicans don't care about the middle man or the man on the bottom, all they care about is the big businesses that line their pockets. Don't be fooled by their BS! Smaller government my a**. Republicans want to control you more than anyone.

June 22, 2011 at 09:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • capitalist123

Ignorance is bliss isn't it?

What right does anyone have to the hard earned money of the people on top. Most of the forbes 500 people were not born that way. These people create innovative goods and services that raise your quality of life (which is why you pay for them) and have a greater impact on society than you will have in 100 lifetimes.

Its never enough for you liberals. You are the most greedy people. Why don't you try producing something (not stealing something) that would benefit everyone else. Maybe then you would be useful for something.

June 22, 2011 at 10:02 | Report abuse |
    • PRISM 1234

@Capitalist
      It's you and your ilk are the reason that we as country are in the shape we are, and it's fair and just to say that you are the enemies of American people, the working class, and this country, selling out it's people to the highest bidder, like auctioned livestock!
      You are nauseating, and all you do is eat, sleep and breathe LIES! But I'm glad the there is a Judge to whom you will answer, and there your $$$$ will not be able to buy "your way"!
      And this does NOT come to you from a "Liberal"!

June 22, 2011 at 10:14 | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Capitalist – I thought capitalists thought "greed is good." As for the adjective "hard working". Don't make me laugh. Wall Street makes billions not by hard work but by manipulating the system to their benefit.

Let me ask you this, if you were marroon on a deserted island would you want wall street bankers or someone who actually knows some practical skills with you? The people who make a difference actually "work" for a living.

June 22, 2011 at 10:48 | Report abuse |
    • capitalist123

@jim
      I would rather be with the more intelligent and creative person because those are the people that move the world. The investment bankers that "manipulate the system" are not capitalist at all. Most of them work their entire lives for their positions and are the reason that people in corporations have jobs. The government is what helps them manipulate the system and steal money. Real capitalists like Steve Jobs, Warren Buffett, etc do not manipulate anything and contribute more to society through their productive efforts (not philanthropic) than anyone who claims they have the right to their money. Everyone is greedy. Some people want money by producing something and others want it by taking it from someone who did produce something.

June 25, 2011 at 18:01 | Report abuse |
  42. The Jackdaw

But there is no problem with the American Health Care system!....right?

Feeling like you need to rob a bank to get medical coverage is the fault of this country. If more take action like this man, maybe poloticians will listen.

But they wont listen, because they make far too much money with the way things are. Banks can be robbed so long as political pockets are filled.

America the Beautiful.

June 22, 2011 at 09:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. ManiacalShen

Please don't share your anecdote. People who like public health care don't need that kind of help. The example of your brother, someone who had money but was too buttarded to get health insurance and then got in trouble due to his lack of planning, is NOT a good example.

June 22, 2011 at 09:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. A. Goodwin

Bhavin – You can get cancer from just being alive, moron. My aunt had breast cancer and she was the most fit person I know – only eats organic; works out every day; very thin and fit. But she STILL ended up getting breast cancer. Get a clue.

June 22, 2011 at 09:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Effelbee

Derper3000, the reason the Obama bill requires that everyone purchase basic coverage is so that the risk is widely spread and young people cannot wait until the get sick. It's about everybody pitching in to protect everyone else. Only selfish people object to the mandate.

June 22, 2011 at 09:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. The Dude

The so called greatest country in the world has 23% of its children living in poverty and does not care if you live or die if you are poor.

If you have no money they expect and want you to die.

It has been this way long before Obama was even born.

June 22, 2011 at 09:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • just a guy

maybe 23% of our children wouldn't be living in poverty if we spent more money on helping our own citizens rather than countries like Pakistan.

June 22, 2011 at 09:38 | Report abuse |
    • jaysee

Good point dude spot on ... all these republicans just like getting money from dr and insurence companies .. they dont care about common pple if they live or die... if some one tries to make changes and help poor he is called socialist .. GREAT AMERICA WE LIVE IN

June 22, 2011 at 10:13 | Report abuse |
  47. Tired of this BS

I love reading the comments bashing people on here. I'm going to venture to say that most of the anti-health care law people on here are republicans and therefor CHRISTIAN. How about you go back and read your precious bible a little more thoroughly this time around, and let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Your life is not perfect; in fact FAR from it. Why is it that you people NEVER have anything CONSTRUCTIVE to say... it's always DESTRUCTION with you.

June 22, 2011 at 09:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mibinohio

@Tired: I have no problem being judged for my actions. I also have no problem with individual acts of charity. If you have verse establishing government healthcare, I'd love to read it. Thx in advance.

June 22, 2011 at 09:29 | Report abuse |
    • The Jackdaw

Heal people for free? That is something Jesus would do. Does the GOP look like Jesus? No. Therefore, no healthcare reform.

June 22, 2011 at 09:48 | Report abuse |
    • mibinohio

@Jack: Did Jesus work for the government? Did Jesus heal every sick person? Did Jesus ask for something in return?

Ask yourself what that means.

June 22, 2011 at 11:26 | Report abuse |
    • The Jackdaw

It must mean that the USA is EVIL!!!!

June 22, 2011 at 13:29 | Report abuse |
  48. Dirk

I think he is on to something especially if you have nothing left to lose. The problem with Obama's health care law is if I can afford health insurance I would have it. If I can't afford it not all the fines and penalties on the planet is going to force me to have health insurance instead of needing to eat, paying the rent or the 10-15 other bills I have first. Obama's way – have health insurance and be homeless or hay a place to live, but no health insurance?

June 22, 2011 at 09:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. stupid government

So...we freely give Pakistan, 3.9billion dollars a year...have been since the war started, over 10 years ago...that's 40billion dollars so far...SO FAR!!!! Yet, we can't afford practical health care for Americans? We are cutting programs in the USA due to lack of funds...

If we had the money we've pounded into the SANDS OF THE MIDDLE EAST...Every person in AMERICA would have excellent health care, teachers would be well paid and our roads would be in good shape. YET, we keep pumping billions and billions into countries that don't give a camels rear about us...

VOTE THEM ALL OUT...PROTECT OUR BORDERS AND COUNTRY FIRST and FOREMOST!!!!

June 22, 2011 at 09:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jonathan

The Bush tax cuts for top 2% earners have created the financial woes for this country... it has nothing to do with fighting terrorism (which btw is what that money to Pakistan is for)

June 22, 2011 at 10:23 | Report abuse |
  50. Random Guy

Its funny, liberals say that conservatives are greedy, self centered, dont give a crap about anyone else blah blah blah. But time and time again, this is what i see from liberals. Instead of buying insurance when you are not sick, helping to pay the bills for those that are now, you save your money. Then when you do get sick, you get denied and have the gull to call insurance companies corrupt. That is the most self centered and selfish behavior you can have. Talk is cheap, actions are what proves who you are. Give me a break.

I'm not saying insurance companies don't have their problems. But if people would all buy insurance, health in particular, there would never be this Obama care, and I still dont think there is a need for it.

And just for the record, I was a Democrat up till 3 years ago, now I think both parties suck. Sadly I just see more hypocrisy from the Dems.

June 22, 2011 at 09:19 | Report abuse | Reply