home
RSS
June 21st, 2011

Man says he robbed bank to get health care

A man walks into a bank and slips a note to the teller.

The note reads: “This is a bank robbery. Please only give me one dollar.”

Then the man tells the bank employees, “I’ll be sitting right over there in the chair waiting for the police."

He perches himself on a chair outside the bank he just robbed and waits for the police to arrive.

That suspect, James Verone, who is from Gaston County, North Carolina, told CNN affiliate WCNC that he robbed a bank for $1 for the sole reason of getting in jail so he could get free health care. He was not armed during the robbery.

Verone, 59, told WCNC he doesn’t have health insurance, but has a host of medical problems: A growth on his chest, two ruptured disks and a problem with his left foot.  Without a job and money, he reached the conclusion that going to jail would mean free medical care (although it's not free for taxpayers).

“I wanted to make it known that this wasn't for monetary reasons, but for medical reasons," Verone said.  His jailhouse interview with the station is above.

The logic, he told the news station, was to get a three-year sentence so he can get out of jail then collect Social Security and then later live in a Myrtle Beach condo.

Verone told his local paper, The Gaston Gazette that he had worked as a delivery man for Coca-Cola for 17 years.  That career ended three years ago, and he couldn’t find steady employment.  Then the medical problems began.  He lived off his savings and sought a part-time job.

The police charged him with larceny, not bank robbery, because of the $1 amount he demanded at the bank. Verone told his hometown paper if the jail penalty isn’t great enough, the crime will happen again.

Verone told WCNC, "I guess I am manipulating the courts to get medical care."

Is Verone’s story an example of one man gaming the system or a product of a flawed health care in America? Sound off below.

soundoff (1,430 Responses)
  1. cindy

@Wzrd1 – Dude, you sound as angry as I feel but don't go off the deep end. I read your whole rant and you identified yourself for anyone who would care to do the research (ie: US Gov). You made some straight up terrorist threats against your country there, bro. Would you like to clarify (and keep yourself out of jail)? I agree with you in principle but violence NEVER EVER changes political systems for the better. Think of how real, positive change is always established. Think Martin Luther King Jr. and Gandhi. Peaceful protest always wins the day when enough people are willing to get off their butts and get out and hold a sign. Peace.

June 22, 2011 at 00:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Michele R.

Americans beat their chests and cry this is the best country in the world and we have the best health care although most have no real experiences with any other country and can make no legitimate comparisons. I love my country because I have had the opportunity to experience others. To this I would sadly add, our health care is among the worst.

June 22, 2011 at 00:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • demforlife

Michele R. Its great to actually read a comment from someone who isn;t ignorant and speaks based on knowledge and experience not just on demagoguery

June 22, 2011 at 01:40 | Report abuse |
  3. Alena

That was so predictable. If Tea Party and Libertarian extremists have their way in slashing government everyone better get used to stuff like that. The amount saved from cutting social services is going to be trumped by other costs.

June 22, 2011 at 00:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. DN3

Based in the opinions here it is evident to me that the US won't have universal health care in the next 60 yrs. Those who think you have to earn the right to healthcare - if only you were so brave to be able to go to a dying child and say that to their face.

June 22, 2011 at 00:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cindy

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 22, 2011 at 00:33 | Report abuse |
  5. AZ Wildcat

You don't pay squat in taxes there sugar britches. You sound like a little girl, man up and be an American who is concerned about his fellow American rather than a right wing looney traitor – get it???

June 22, 2011 at 00:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. You Sir

@GOP4LIFE You sir, are an idiot!

June 22, 2011 at 00:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. just my thoughts.

I'm so tired of hearing: do something to better myself, go back to school, earn a degree, quit being a burden on society, the military is a free ride etc. Well here's the real story: I went back to school to help support my family after my husband's pay barely allowed us to save up for the "oh craps" that occur in life. I graduated top half of my class, tried to get a job and was promptly told that my degree made me un-employable because a degree meant they'd have to pay me more, and businesses don't want to do that. I tried to get a job in my chosen career field to be told that "we have interns to do that for free". So I went BACK to school to get my Masters since I I had no experience (Stay at home housewife since I got married at 20 because my husband wanted me to be home for our future children) good thing I did... child care is almost unaffordable. I have been through countless deployments, been a single mother at times because he's gone, moved, gone to school through all of this, and done everything that society expects me to do, only to still end up jobless. I am grateful that my husband's benefits allow us to still remain middle class, but just barely. I am fortunate to at least have health care, but I pay for better care because I value my life, but the price of this health insurance is high. We willingly pay this high price for health insurance and the knowledge that we will at least be able to afford to put food on the table for now, but the rich folks up in Washington D.C. who have little to no clue what it's like to live this kind of existence need to get their act together.

Unfortunately we won't do anything about it. As a people we won't at any rate. I do the right thing, I vote when it's time but unless everyone gets out to cast a vote to say enough is enough, nothing will really change. If we really wanted change on Capitol hill, we wouldn't have voted in the same congress. We would have voted out all the old and voted in the new. At least it would have given us a half way shot at a new start. But people want to play the blame game where they can and fail to realize that in order for their to be change, we all have to do our part.

I did my part to make something of myself, I do my part when it comes to voting against those who don't have our best interests at heart and yet what do I have to show for it? No job, nearly $50,000 k. in student loans that I may never be able to pay off at this rate and the knowledge that times are only going to get tougher with little hope in sight.

June 22, 2011 at 00:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • demforlife

Just my Thoughts, thank you for saying it like it really is and for your and your husband's sacrifices and hard work. This is the truth that the Republicans/Tea baggers don;t want out. That the majority of Americans work their butts off, and do all the right things but don;t get a chance because the Republicans are not there to protect the best interests of the majority. They are in government for only one reason: to perpetuate the rich getting richer, the protection of corporations (please note the latest Supreme Court decision in favor of Walmart against its female employees), and making sure that their base is still there to pay the big Lobby money and keep getting them back in office. All they care about is themselves, and they have a good 50% of IGNORANT Americans who watch FOX "News" believing their bold faced lies!

June 22, 2011 at 01:47 | Report abuse |
    • Sagewy

Im in the same boat. I raised my family and went thru deployments. I went back to school and Thank God I have do at least have health insurance because I could not afford it with student loans. My husband and I both work, pay more and more taxes, higher gas, higher food costs and etc and our quality of living is continuing to become less and less. There are millions of us doing everything right but cannot satisfy the greed.
      My husband works as a manager at an auto store. He is contracted to work fifty hours a week. As a non exempt salary employee; he is working 70 plus hours a week and hasnt received a raise in two years. He will most likely drop dead at his job. There really are not many jobs available for him to switch careers. While his corporation owners are flying around in jets; he is working all week, week ends, and even veterans day ironically. The quality of our life as Americans is continuing downhill. We are being overworked, overtaxed and underpaid, if your lucky enough to have a job. Bottom Line.

June 22, 2011 at 08:26 | Report abuse |
  8. Juan Carlos de Burbon

@Wzrd1–It's a good thing that ogres are pure fantasy, just like your rant.

June 22, 2011 at 00:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Paul Ronco

CNN asks us if whether he is gaming the system? What system? There is no health care system in America. My hat goes off to this man for courageously doing what he needed to do to save his own life. In fact, my hat goes off to him for courageously doing what he had to do to save taxpayers money. By ensuring that he sees a healthcare provider sooner rather than later, he may actually be able to resolve his health issues before they become so unmanageable that he requires more expensive treatment. Bravo James Verone. Perhaps if Coca-Cola had a pension system in place for your 17 years of dedicated service to their billion-dollar-corporation, none of this would have happened.

June 22, 2011 at 00:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Sharky

This is totally unacceptable in a so-called developed country. We spend billions to bail out rich bankers but people have to commit a crime to get health care. I guess we're going to have to start building more prisons..

June 22, 2011 at 00:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. HiTs

Universal health care: I lived in the UK for two years and Loved the health care system paid a tax just like social security except it helped pay for everyone's medical bills including mine. I would show up the the Dr's would sign in see him then leave not a dime spent never got a bill, had a co pay of about $14 for medication. I loved it! Now that I am back We Have high deductible health coverage, Had an ER visit for my husband for kidney stones, its going to cost us Over $2000 and that still doesn't cover my yearly deductible! When we are paying almost $250 a month for this coverage ! I am All for a universal health care system having seen 1st hand how great it is.

June 22, 2011 at 00:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. opus512

That is one impressive level of stupid.

June 22, 2011 at 00:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. cindy

If the 96% of us who are being f'd over by the top 4% who are perpetrating this class war it would be OVER in a New York minute! We need to focus our anger on the Finance and Insurance industries. THESE are the enemies. Not each other. They have us pointing our fingers at one another so we're too distracted to look in the right direction. How can we organize? THAT should be the focus of every conversation here!

June 22, 2011 at 00:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mcv57

It is easy to organize a cause ... the hard part is financing and commitment not only for yourself but the people who follow you. Yes, only the way to your death. JP Morgan was so wealthy he was able to bribe and hire his regime of corrupt Judges, Police Officers and Thugs to kill and murder labor movement resistance (and JP Morgan was never implicated).. So shut your month, unless you are willing to lay down your life for change. John Adams stated it was the peoples choice to take the responsibility.

History dictates that Roman "Armies" fought against its Praetorian Guard to seize control of its corrupt government (remember Julius Caesar?).

June 22, 2011 at 02:48 | Report abuse |
  14. Nurse Nancy

I have worked in both fed. and military prisons in Kansas as a nurse. The inmates get better medical treatment than the VA men and women. Something is wrong with that. Korean war vets fight to get permision to use the foot cream that works on their frostbite injured feet. These men are in their 70s and 80s with pain and seriously inpaired tissue production on their feet. Inmates get 2oz tubes for cracked heals.VA guys get 0.5 oz for wounds > 3cm. limit of 4 tubes a year. This is Wrong on so many levels

June 22, 2011 at 00:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cindy

Yes, Nurse Nancy, VA care SUCKS big time. Why aern't you for improving that care rather than tacitly advocating for diminished inmate care?

June 22, 2011 at 01:27 | Report abuse |
  15. Joe Blow

They should just take him to a vet & put him to sleep.

June 22, 2011 at 01:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. demforlife

GOP 4 Life all I can say is you're an idiot. SO what you are saying is that being at war is more important than making sure the needs of our fellow Americans are met. When it comes to the point that someone is so desperate to get help that they will commit a crime that shows how bad our present situation is. How important it is to have Universal Health Care, and to assure that all Americans can make a living wage and not wind up in the poor house so the rich and big corporations can get out of paying their fair share of taxes!

June 22, 2011 at 01:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. c

bless his heart

June 22, 2011 at 01:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Nurse Nancy

Sharky, please take a moment and review my comment. I have learned an important lesson tonght. Never join a blog debate after 9pm. It is a waist of time.

June 22, 2011 at 01:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. chris miller

I hope everyone starts doing this that needs medical care and a roof over their heads. This is what the powers that be want: An entire population of prisoners and slaves. They already have a lot of both but if you're not going to stand up for yourselves, for God's sake at least just give up all the way and give in. That's better than working 60 hours a week and ending up with zero health care, zero benefits and barely paying the bills.

I mean, since most of you were dumb enough to buy into the right's demonization of unions, you lost ALL of the chances you may have had to get a fair shake in the workplace.

June 22, 2011 at 01:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Brian

just a guy, You sound like an 8th grade English student who is into creative writing.

June 22, 2011 at 02:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • just a guy

non-fiction actually.

June 22, 2011 at 10:14 | Report abuse |
  21. helenecha

The guy was stupid to no end.

June 22, 2011 at 02:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. JS

Truth of the matter is that we spend more per person on healthcare in the US than any other country on earth and we get less in return than many countries in the developed world. Why? Because in a for-profit model you have to budget in a double-digit percentage of $$ spent on healthcare FOR PROFIT...that's not money spent on actual coverage, that's dividends for shareholders and big bonuses for CEO's and executives...NO OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD organizes their healthcare systems like this...so all of this fear mongering about higher taxes and greater expenses under the president's plan is nonsense.

June 22, 2011 at 02:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Baris

Health services must be free for each citizen. This is the primary role of countries.

June 22, 2011 at 03:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Lee Oates

That pretty much sums up the US healthcare system. Make the Medical Insurance Cartels, screw the middle class and poor.

June 22, 2011 at 03:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Josh

Its a sign of our deeply flawed medical system, one that puts profit before people.

June 22, 2011 at 03:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • maximusvad

In the socialized democracies...Germany...Canada....Sweden... you get the job you want and not worry about healthcare. In the U.S. you get the job with the best healthcare...if you have a family. That doesn't sound like freedom to me.

June 22, 2011 at 06:36 | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Freedom is being able to do whatever the F you want as long as you don't hurt anyone. Just don't expect other people to take care of you, too. That's communism/socialism... except then you don't get the freedom part.

June 22, 2011 at 06:59 | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Right you are.

June 22, 2011 at 07:12 | Report abuse |
    • David

Mark,

You clearly have no idea what communism or socialism are. At least read Marx / Engles before you say such stupid fox crap.

June 22, 2011 at 07:15 | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

Our current system is a form of Obamacare - or did you forget that it passed?

June 22, 2011 at 07:25 | Report abuse |
    • keith

paulie, Obamacare doesn't fully go into effect until 2014. The only thing that has gone into effect right now is allowing children to stay on their parents health-care plan longer, and not allowing children to be denied coverage and ending lifetime coverage limits. Keep living in your partisan bubble.

June 22, 2011 at 07:44 | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

Keith: youre wrong - when Obamacare passed these politicians read us a whole list of things that go into effect prior to 2014. In 2014 we will have essentially the same expensive services only we will be forced to pay for them. Could you explain to me what exactly is going to be cheaper and how it would have helped this bank robber?

June 22, 2011 at 07:48 | Report abuse |
    • AH

Just give us the health care system, that we pay for all the politicians to use in America.

June 22, 2011 at 07:51 | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Paulie clearly is fox regular. That aside, Keith is correct; we do not currently operate under Obamneycare at the moment. When we do, however, at the very least, Mr. Verone would be able to join a pool, which will allow it to negotiate with a private insurer (which you fox types should love) for reasonably priced healthcare coverage (or at least as close to that as our corrupt providers allow you to get). But you keep spreading the fox meme here if it makes you feel better.

June 22, 2011 at 08:06 | Report abuse |
    • mibinohio

It's more a sign of the selfishness of the masses. Too selfish to plan for the long term. Too selfish to manage their own health by eating right, exercising, avoiding drugs, alcohol , and other risky life choices. Too many living for today, then when they find themselves sick, they want to boo-hoo that someone else should pick up the tab for them. Just look down the page, there's at least 6 people complaining that they are unemployed, sick, and can't pay their bills, yet they are online ranting on CNNs boards when they should be out looking for a J-O-B. Any job. Some people simply have no dignity, no self-respect.

June 22, 2011 at 08:19 | Report abuse |
    • Kerry

Wake up Washington ! Address and solve the problems! Stop trying to get re-elected! I think this man's a genius. I am so sick of the Super Bowl mentality of Washington. There is no winning the White House and Congress. It is already won by the American people! Serving our country in government was never mean't to be a career with absorbent salaries, pensions, healthcare, etc. It was an opportunity to serve your country not rip it off for personal agendas and special interest groups.. My husband and I are in our 50's and instead of retiring have had to start over. We both have health issues and no insurance. I think its time for our government officials to do the same. Maybe if they were on this side of the fence something would get done. Eliminate the waste in Washington and then address the budget. We may not have to cut back as much as we think.

June 22, 2011 at 08:20 | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Criminals receive 3 squares, free medical, free dental, free counseling, free education, free movies, a bed to sleep in, a tv to watch and a workout area. Hmmmmmm . . . is something backwards here?

June 22, 2011 at 08:22 | Report abuse |
    • A. Goodwin

Mark – Let me guess, you are probably also of the ilk who feel that no woman should be allowed to have an abortion, that gay people cannot marry, and that pot should not be legalized. When you are ready to wake up and smell the coffee, there is VERY little freedom from anything.

June 22, 2011 at 08:23 | Report abuse |
    • A. Goodwin

mibinohio – Yes, millions of American's had a mass attack of laziness over the last few years. They all just decided to forget feeding their kids...forget having healthcare...forget paying their mortgage. What a bunch of freeloaders, eh?

People like you have no compassion for what the unemployed or UNDER-employed go through. People had savings that they had to use to PAY for these things while UNEMPLOYED. People were scammed into faulty loans! People are no more unhealthy today than they were 4-5 years ago...the big difference is that many lost their health insurance due to lack of jobs!!

People like you make me weep for America. We can do better.

June 22, 2011 at 08:28 | Report abuse |
  26. Cool1

Welcome to RyanCare. This example pretty much defines the RyanCare policies.

June 22, 2011 at 03:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Vivek Chaudhary

And you most be Obama.

June 22, 2011 at 03:43 | Report abuse |
    • CptnAwesome

Because ObamaCare is SOO much better right? It fixes everything that's wrong with the healthcare system right now?

Stop being a blithering idiot and blaming it on one man. At least he's trying to make something happen while making an attempt to keep everyone happy. It's going to take a combined effort of both parties to overhaul the medical system.

June 22, 2011 at 04:20 | Report abuse |
    • ramfire98

The bullcr@p is strong with you.

June 22, 2011 at 06:56 | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

The problem is Obamacare passed and our current system is a form of Obamacare -- not Ryancare.

June 22, 2011 at 07:24 | Report abuse |
  27. TJeff1776

People are dropping their health insurance like crazy and joining the free line. Its easy to lose one's dignity when ya can no longer afford the basics. For some of these 200,000 plus wage earners like "Just A Guy"(and no doubt a conservative), its easy to look down his snout at the less fortunate. With the cost-of-living at almost no-percent, health insurance premiums are sky-rocketing at 25-30-40 percent PER YEAR. California just experienced a 59 per cent jump- State health insurance execs stated it was because the younger people were getting OUT of the system thus pushing rates higher. SO Mr. "Just a Guy" is BSing tha troops. We're headed for a Canadian-like system with lightning speed. No surprsies here- the rest of the civilized countries have nationalized many years ago.......only the health industry money to congressmen is keeping that tent up.

June 22, 2011 at 03:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LJ

People are "joining the free line"????

Listen buddy, there is nothing like being unemployed, and then suddenly finding yourself near death. A quick trip to the ER for FREE health care – right? Well, there's nothing like the ER doctor telling you that you're 'human garbage, dumped on his doorstep, because no one else wants to deal with you."

What followed was being largely ignored, until the infection nearly DID cause death. They even suggested there was NOTHING WRONG, no illness or infection.

Without insurance and a job, you are treated like garbage.
      I've worked my entire life, and now can't find a job, and suddenly I'm the human garbage of my community, "jumping in the free line" for health care.

You sir, are a freakin idio, who OBVIOUSLY has never taken a trip down the "free line". Not as fun and complete of care as you would imagine.

Jerk.

June 22, 2011 at 05:29 | Report abuse |
    • oldboldgold

Young people I know are not "getting out" of the system, they do not make enough money to pay insurance premiums and many are not covered at work. Many have gone home to live with parents. Try not to minimize the plight of peole who end up unemployed for long periods, and underemployed at best. You can thank deregulation of the financial industry for this debacle.

June 22, 2011 at 06:44 | Report abuse |
    • noteabags

What "free line"? The one you get for being imprisoned? This guy didn't have health insurance to drop. You are totally missing the point.

June 22, 2011 at 06:55 | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

Our current system is Obamacare. We arent heading for anything else. The services are going to stay the same as they are now the only difference being we will all have to buy expensive insurance mandatory. Pretty soon we will all find ourselves with less money in our pockets and bank accounts.

June 22, 2011 at 07:30 | Report abuse |
    • A. Goodwin

Paulie – Obamacare is not going to change the health insurance carrier you currently go through, and with more people joining the "pool", costs should stabalize. MUCH better than what we have today. Last year my Blue Cross Blue Sheild insurance went up 32%!!! If we had gone the universal healthcare route a few years back – we would be paying 4.75% more in taxes. I paid that AND THEN SOME between copays, insurance premiums, and drugs last year alone. I'm sorry that Fox and other news outlets have so villified universal healthcare because it DOES work where in place. As people from MA if they want to go back to the old days! As someone from UK if they want to come here for services – THEY DONT. And even IF we had universal healthcare, there is nothing to say you couldn't pay more to see a private doctor. But sadly, we've got a half-ass plan that the GOP loves to smack around. I know this might amaze you but the GOP has NEVER come up with a plan for healthcare – unless that is kicking the disabled and seizures of medicare.

June 22, 2011 at 08:36 | Report abuse |
  28. unowhoitsme

We're going to see a lot more real (not staged) crimes due to unemployment. it becomes a dog eat dog society for survival.

June 22, 2011 at 03:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paulie

This guy didnt look for a job with health benefits- he robbed a bank so he could sit pretty for 3 years get fed clothed and housed. He also wanted free medical care until he was released at which time he would immediately start collecting social security and could use the money he has to go buy a condo in Myrtle Beach and head for the sand.

June 22, 2011 at 07:37 | Report abuse |
    • JD

Paulie is one of those who jumps right in with a 'thought' without reading the articles or using common sense. The article says he looked for a job and couldn't find a job. I think that's pretty clear. I don't blame the guy for doing what he could to get insurance but I don't think prison will be a walk in the park as he seems to think.

June 22, 2011 at 08:27 | Report abuse |
  29. Noah

I can think of nothing more tragic than the way in which this country is spiraling downwards, despite how obvious the solutions are. A country that allows any of its citizens to suffer for any reason does not deserve to be called civilized. I would rather the country go bankrupt and crumble providing for the health and well being of its citizens than go broke bankrolling corporate misgivings and foreign wars.

June 22, 2011 at 03:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ant

Very well said. No patriot should be against caring for their own people.

June 22, 2011 at 04:02 | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

I could not agree more. Very well said.

June 22, 2011 at 05:27 | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Really, you wouldn't mind seeing America crushed under the weight of it's obese, chain smoking citizens?

The purpose of a government is to protect the rights of its citizens.

Healthcare must be provided by humans. A Right is something inherent in a person. It can be protected, but not provided. Healthcare is not a right.

June 22, 2011 at 06:53 | Report abuse |
    • noteabags

I totally agree Noah.

Mark, "The purpose of a government is to protect the rights of its citizens."
      What rights are those? Seems to me the only rights the conservatives care about is the right to carry a gun.

June 22, 2011 at 06:57 | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

Our current system is a form of Obamacare- did you also forget that Obamacare passed and is now the law?

June 22, 2011 at 07:28 | Report abuse |
  30. Bucktooth

Of Course, a very flawed health system set up by the right wingers! They don't want you to get well, EVER! They can keep you in the system of being sick most of your life by drugs, chemo, and vaccines..that's the real Ponzi Scheme!

June 22, 2011 at 03:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • oldboldgold

Well, the 2400 chemicals that the FDA now allows corporations to put in our food supply can't be helping our health. They don't even require these chemicals to be on the label. Why not, you say? Because these companies and their regulatory agencies are working a revolving door, back and forth. The corporations are being regulated by themselves. Now I know that is what I wanna see.

June 22, 2011 at 06:48 | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

Excuse me but Obamacare passed and thats our current system at the moment!

June 22, 2011 at 07:26 | Report abuse |
    • mibinohio

Well, oldboldgold, you could grow your own food. But, that would require planning ,self reliance, and getting off your duff. You could ride a bike, or walk to work, but that would require getting off your duff too. Yeah, it's easier to blame republicans and evil corporations for your lack of motivation.

June 22, 2011 at 08:09 | Report abuse |
    • A. Goodwin

mibinohio – Grow your own food? I like that idea because I OWN LAND. Tell that to the millions that reside in city's like Atlanta, New York, Chicago, Boston.....You are a moron.

June 22, 2011 at 08:39 | Report abuse |
  31. Me

Socialized medicine doesn't work out as well as people think it does. This guy could have gone to a charity hospital.

June 22, 2011 at 03:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • The_Mick

A "charity hospital"? And who pays for that? Note that Johns Hopkins, the nation's #1 rated hospital for 19 straight years, spends $21 million PER MONTH on "charity" cases. So it increases the charges insured people pay to cover that $21 million. So does everyone else. The average American pays $934 per year MORE in health insurance costs to cover the uninsured.

June 22, 2011 at 05:36 | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy Cracorn

You know I have seriously thought of doing the same thing. I am in my low 30's and have had severe back problems sense the age of 16. I got laid off and am collecting unemployment. I get 240.00 per week. That's the max my state pays. The great thing is that half of that 240.00 goes out the window before I ever see it due to child support. Now don't get me wrong I am happy to pay the support. The problem is that it leaves me with a total of 440 per month. Now where I live you can get medicaid from the state if you make less than the federal poverty line. Which I do at the moment. The issue is that the state does not consider child support a valid deduction so in their eyes I make just over the federal poverty line. The federal poverty line is 903.00 for a single person if I remember correctly and unemployment pays me 980.00 per month. By the way things like cell phone bills and internet are considered valid deductions when the state calculates your net income for the medicaid application but somehow child support isn't a valid deduction. So I have to pay every month 64.00 for the doctor and 280.00 for my meds. This does not include the yearly M.R.I. or any of the other treatments or tests I can't afford. This leaves me with 100.00 per month for everything else. Thank god I have a wonderful fiance to help me through this tough time in my life. I can not work until I can get my back fixed and I am in the process of filing for disability. There is a possibility that if I had access to the treatment I need I might be fixed enough to go back to work. It would be drastically cheaper for the state to pay for the insurance so I could get repaired rather than paying Unemployment or disability forever. Not to mention the fact that every person like me is a financial drag on society instead of being a productive contributor like I used to be. I just don't get why we always have $$$ for bombs and bailouts but not to give a hand up to our citizens.

June 22, 2011 at 06:49 | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy Cracorn

Yea good luck finding one that will take you in. Believe it or not hospitals are allowed to turn you away if your injury's are not life threatening. I have tried that rout myself and all I got was some a hole doctor from the Mayo clinic treating me like a piece of worthless garbage.

June 22, 2011 at 06:53 | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

He also could have got a job with medical benefits rather than rob a bank - which is wrong even if youre dying!

June 22, 2011 at 07:27 | Report abuse |
  32. Jimmy Crack Corn

"he police charged him with larceny, not bank robbery, because of the $1 amount he demanded at the bank." What? Only larceny? At what amount does it become robbery? Im going to rob the bank everyday for a few dollars to keep it larceny. The difference between me and this guy, Im going to run after doing it. Police wont put out an APB for larceny right? btw: Im just kidding im not really going to rob the bank, just setting an example on how stupid the system is.

June 22, 2011 at 03:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paulie

So his attempt to play the system isnt going to be exactly what he wanted is it?

June 22, 2011 at 07:32 | Report abuse |
  33. KAN

With the philosophy of healthcare being for profit. Why don't we make all services for profit: education, police, fire, military... It would reduce our taxes and thats always good. This way you can buy what you can afford. Sound good to you???

Healthcare should never be for profit and that does not include just the servics, but the supplies, medications and equipment. When was the last time we cured a disease? When was the last time, we allowed you to live with a disease? AIDS/ Cancer/ Diabetes... no cures, just the ability to live with it, so the healthcare system can continue to profit from your chronic care. What a concept it would be for doctors to receive financial incentives based on how healthy the patients are.

Just some things to think about.

June 22, 2011 at 04:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jimmy Cracorn

That's how NHS works in Britain. NHS is their health services over there. Also has anyone noticed that lately the country's with national health coverage have been the ones coming out with the scientific breakthroughs in the field of medicine? NHS also costs on average half what we pay for, for the same treatment.

June 22, 2011 at 06:59 | Report abuse |
    • JD

Healthcare needs to be "For Profit" – unless you want to start paying for:
      -Doctors to attend medical school
      -Start providing some reasonable work hours for residents who currently work 80+ hours per a week for 3-10 years
      -Start paying all their malpractice insurance, currently 80k/year for a practicing OB/GYN
      -Start providing a salaried work with a limited work week so Doctors are not busting their ass once they do finally get to start on their own.

Currently my wife is sitting with $250k of Medical school debt, is working 70-90 hours a week in residency for a paltry $40k/year (the equivalent of $8-$10/hr assuming none of that is paid as overtime – then it would be lower), and in 3 more years when she finally does get to practice medicine she get the pleasure the paying her first $80k/year to the insurance company in case some yahoo decides to sue her. All of this with the understanding she will still be working 80+ hours a week with little or no time off because she will be performing a paid service for her patients, babies do come in the middle of the night and everyone want "Their Doctor" not the person who is just on call while their doctor is at home sleeping or spending time with their children.

There is a reason healthcare is for profit – if you want healthcare to become a "Right" you better be prepared to respect the rights of the Doctors by not expecting them to pay an obscene amount for school, pay them a reasonable wage for reasonable hours worked during their residency (which means residencies will double in length), pay their malpractice, pay them a reasonable wage for reasonable hours worked when they practice – which means guess what you either will have to wait for care until your doctor is available or go to someone else. Which sounds a lot like Healthcare Rationing – the same thing the democrats slammed republicans for when they started preaching change.

If those above things are ignored you are essentially making doctors nothing more than indentured servants – explain to me why our best and brightest would want to go into that field then?

June 22, 2011 at 08:24 | Report abuse |
    • mibinohio

Well said, JD. Along with that, I'd caution "no profit" supporters to consider the service they currently receive fro other "government" employees. Is that truly the type of service they want for their healthcare?

June 22, 2011 at 08:40 | Report abuse |
    • A. Goodwin

Jimmy Cracorn – You are dead on with your statement. The biggest reason, as you mentioned, is that these countries PAY for research. Here in America we leave it up to charity's, bascially, to do the research. My son has epilepsy and all of the new advances in technology are coming from UK. Here in the states we have the Epilepsy Foundation, which is severely underfunded – to help pay for education and research. It really disgusts me that we've allowed the GOP to push this fear among the masses on universal healthcare.

June 22, 2011 at 08:44 | Report abuse |
    • A. Goodwin

JD – If you look at places like the UK, universal health care does pay for your insurance and they are some of the BEST paid individuals in the country! What it doesn't pay for is schooling – obviously it is the person's DECISION to become a doctor. They do pay for continuing education. But if you look at those nations with universal health care, doctors are the best paid professions around AND they dont have to pay for health insurance. Raises are based on the health of the people they serve.

June 22, 2011 at 08:48 | Report abuse |
  34. Worthless

I was laid off my job after 22 years. I've had 3 back surgeries and bi-lat carpal surgery. My unemployment runs out in 4 weeks and things are looking grim. It's starting to look like my best option is a cheap length of rope and a good, strong tree branch. beats going to jail for health care.

June 22, 2011 at 04:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • PlanB

Trees have their own problems (drought or flood depending on location, global warming, loss of habitat, beetles). Course you could try part of the nations infrastructure (ie a bridge) but the maintenance is so poor it might collapse.

June 22, 2011 at 04:28 | Report abuse |
    • oldboldgold

I am not willing to kill myself just so that "elite" can continue to steal everything. Lest you think they get it all by the sweat of their brow like they claim, note that they buy their Congressdogs to pass laws that favor them, manipulate the money supply, put their people in regulatory positions so they have no oversight, open sweatshops overseas then get Congress to "police" the country to protect their financial interests, and so on. Stop this nonsense and spend our tax dollars on universal health care. Not perfect? Snort. So nothing is better than a flawed system? If you are rich enough for private doctors, you will still be rich enough after universal health care. I do not mean all citizens being forced to further bloat the insurance companies.

June 22, 2011 at 06:55 | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy Cracorn

I hope things get better for you.

June 22, 2011 at 07:00 | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

Do us all a favor and try not to rob a bank- someone could get hurt.

June 22, 2011 at 07:33 | Report abuse |
  35. Vivek Chaudhary

Why can't they allow us to go across states to buy health insurance? Our problem is not with our healthcare system, our problem is health insurance coverage problem. Once you have options to choose from , you will see rates going down. I agree about the greed part in terms of medical practice but hey it is a free country. Everyone has a right to make money. So if they mess up because they were not paying attention due to overloading then they should be blacklisted across all the states. There you go. But there are big lobbyists behind these insurance companies who are backing both democrats and republican candidates. It is very important that you do your research on the candidate who you will vote to make sure that he was not part of any of those lobbyists.

June 22, 2011 at 04:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paulie

The problem is our government. Thats why you cant buy across state lines. It means their insurance company buddies would lose money if we could buy cheap insurance.

June 22, 2011 at 07:40 | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

The problem is our government. Thats why they wont let us buy insurance across state lines. It would mean their insurance company buddies make less money if we could actually buy cheaper insurance!

June 22, 2011 at 07:44 | Report abuse |
  36. Vivek Chaudhary

That's why Canadians and rest of the world flocks to America to get inferior health care 🙂

June 22, 2011 at 04:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

They flock here because MONEY can buy the best health care in the world here. Money = Great Care! We, on theother hand, flock overseas to get cheap cosmetic surgery because? I know you know the answer. Just think.

June 22, 2011 at 05:07 | Report abuse |
    • Robert

uhh sorry dude its the other way around insurance companies are paying for people to have surgeries in other countries because its cheaper for them

June 22, 2011 at 05:54 | Report abuse |
    • ramfire98

cosmetic surgery /= quadruple bipass, Brainiac.

June 22, 2011 at 06:59 | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

You mean Obamacare? Did you forget that it passed already? Our current system is a form of Obamacare and we arent even being forced to buy into it yet!

June 22, 2011 at 07:41 | Report abuse |
  37. mary

Flawed health care system..
    We take better care of our F...ing dregs of society than we do hard working people .
    They go to jail and get the best medical care in the world.. Do drugs and get on SSI disability, set up for life their kids are on it too.. Unwed teens on welfare.. Kids getting wonderful health care..Mothers paid to go to school. Free everything for those that do nothing but take..
    People that work must suffer without..
    I have heard many comment that if they need surgery or get cancer.. They will commit a crime..
    So, not surprised that some one did it.. Not at all..

June 22, 2011 at 04:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • K

"Kids getting wonderful health care"

You say this as though it's a bad thing.

June 22, 2011 at 07:46 | Report abuse |
  38. TJeff1776

LOL....The herein named "ME" states that Socialized medicine doesn't work as well as some people think AND surmizes that
    the individual COULD have gone to a "Charity Hospital". NOW pray tell, just what is a "Charity Hospital" if thats not a socialized form of medicine. EVERY thinking-head knows that the present healthcare system is simply NOT WORKING
    and never will. I recently received a hosp bill for 18,000 dollars for a four hour out-patient visit. CRAZY. The Business Office explained it very simply this way- "52 percent of the people entering this hospital PAY NOTHING, SO
    it raises the bill for those who can afford it". Health related bankruptcies are leading the field of all other reasons. IF a person has a home, some savings, and/or poor health insurance.........my advice- DON'T GET SICK or you might end up passing a note to your local bank teller.

June 22, 2011 at 04:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • skwirrl

Get ahold of the billing manager and ask for an itemized receipt. If they refuse to provide one, refuse to pay. They are ripping you off and you know it and they are LEGALLY OBLIGATED to give you an itemized receipt for all services provided. And make sure its truly itemized down to the IV bags. IF they won't, they are only trying to scam you. Refuse to pay. The 7 year hit on your credit history isn't worth 18,000 bucks. If they do provide you with one... they are willing to negotiate. Talk them down to a fair price.

June 22, 2011 at 06:27 | Report abuse |
  39. peoplearestupid

No health care for people in jail. No more anchor babies. No more hiring illegals over Americans. No more life sentences (just death penalties). Let's stop the charity overseas and convert that money to people in the USA. No universal health care. No more fixing other nations which will never help us (Haiti) and fix our own problems. You have a right to the PURSUIT of happiness, not happiness. People need to stop looking for things to be offended by, stop using the race card, don't try to ban words because a group is offended by it (retarded), stop trying to call something what is not and stop the stupidity.

June 22, 2011 at 05:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Mushmouth Thomas

What if he gets to prison and finds out they won't pay for a pre-existing condition. Plus the live-in physical therapists are not exactly "first-tier."

June 22, 2011 at 05:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Ms Information

During the interview one of the commentators asks another IF the guy could have gone to an ER dept @ a hospital & he answered he could get treatment there.

Wrong. ONLY emergency cases will be treated as mandated by law although very few ER depts would turn away an individual it isn't free.

Considering the # of dollars we pay into taxes to have them used to kill & maim in wars rather then heal & save in peace is an abomination.

And stop parroting the talking heads on TV about how expensive health care is because it isn't expensive. HEALTH CARE INSURANCE is what costs money & the premiums the insurance companies get are astonomical.

Just check the profit figures on a financial site for UHC, Cigna, Aetna etc. You will then understand where the money is really going. Forget what you are hearing from the propaganda stations. Do some research. Health care insurance companies are doing so well you'll probably buy shares in them if you do some digging into their numbers.

But to be in a situation where a man is so desparate he commits a criminal act is well...criminal on our part.

June 22, 2011 at 05:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. JimMNH

Flawed system in general. A system of government that no longer looks out for the life, liberty and pursuit of happiness of it's people. He tried. He knew he was loosing. He came up with the only plan he could think of to address obvious need. You'd have either read about him here or as another body on the street.

June 22, 2011 at 05:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. JimMNH

Flawed system in general. A system of government that no longer looks out for the life, liberty or pursuit of happiness of its people. He tried. He knew he was losing. He came up with the only plan he could think of to address obvious need. You'd have either read about him here or as another body on the street.

June 22, 2011 at 06:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. champ fair

this is a shame, a man works for 20 yrs. and has to commit a crime to take care of his health...USA USA USA

June 22, 2011 at 06:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. derrique2

If this 'story' isn't a ploy to promote Obamacare, than I don't know what is.

June 22, 2011 at 06:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. katie

This is the 'civilized' country we live in, America the Great... Guess what people, crime is on the raise and it will only get worse. People are getting desperate and desperation causes criminality. We have such a wonderful government, a wonderful president and wonderful citizens, who always look out for others.
    Damn, I'm laughing way to hard to continue....

June 22, 2011 at 06:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. oldboldgold

Consider Gandhi to went to jail without violence to bring attention to the plight of India. What this man did is a reasonable solution in a society that treats its citizens like garbage and howls about "welfare" to citizens while giving billions to corporations and other countries. We have citizens unable to get work, but the government authorized 38 Million legal aliens entry in 2010. Three times higher than the number two country in the world. The government has also allowed over 50 Million illegal aliens to work and stay in our country. The top one percent considers themselves "elite" but they are really a boil on the a** of the citizens of this country. The financial industry is paying a couple day's income in fines for fraud after crashing our economy and putting people like this man out of work. He didn't just commit a crime, he is protesting in a novel way the treatment of our citizens. Note: criminals are treated better than citizens. Delete 1/100 of the corporate welfare received from the taxpayers and we would have nationalized health care.

June 22, 2011 at 06:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. FauxNews

The food, medical, and cable hookups are better at Gitmo.

June 22, 2011 at 06:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. ROCKWOOD

Interesting concept...... Am wondering if he exhausted his local clinic opportunities (if there were any) in his area.

June 22, 2011 at 06:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Terry

I feel it was better to rob a bank than to walk into a hospital, wave a gun, and demand healthcare services. No one was hurt, the Federal Prison System has good healthcare support for prisoners, so he completed his goal to get good healthcare at an affordable price.

June 22, 2011 at 07:00 | Report abuse | Reply