home
RSS
June 21st, 2011

Man says he robbed bank to get health care

A man walks into a bank and slips a note to the teller.

The note reads: “This is a bank robbery. Please only give me one dollar.”

Then the man tells the bank employees, “I’ll be sitting right over there in the chair waiting for the police."

He perches himself on a chair outside the bank he just robbed and waits for the police to arrive.

That suspect, James Verone, who is from Gaston County, North Carolina, told CNN affiliate WCNC that he robbed a bank for $1 for the sole reason of getting in jail so he could get free health care. He was not armed during the robbery.

Verone, 59, told WCNC he doesn’t have health insurance, but has a host of medical problems: A growth on his chest, two ruptured disks and a problem with his left foot.  Without a job and money, he reached the conclusion that going to jail would mean free medical care (although it's not free for taxpayers).

“I wanted to make it known that this wasn't for monetary reasons, but for medical reasons," Verone said.  His jailhouse interview with the station is above.

The logic, he told the news station, was to get a three-year sentence so he can get out of jail then collect Social Security and then later live in a Myrtle Beach condo.

Verone told his local paper, The Gaston Gazette that he had worked as a delivery man for Coca-Cola for 17 years.  That career ended three years ago, and he couldn’t find steady employment.  Then the medical problems began.  He lived off his savings and sought a part-time job.

The police charged him with larceny, not bank robbery, because of the $1 amount he demanded at the bank. Verone told his hometown paper if the jail penalty isn’t great enough, the crime will happen again.

Verone told WCNC, "I guess I am manipulating the courts to get medical care."

Is Verone’s story an example of one man gaming the system or a product of a flawed health care in America? Sound off below.

soundoff (1,430 Responses)
  1. kim

So many of the more sadistic people on here cliam to be Republicans. Sigh....All I can figure is that most Republicans are apparently people who grew up without much love and so consequently, they grow up to be mean bullies, and like all bullies, they want to go after the most vulnerable. I guess this is why they would begrudge this old, sick man any help. Just remember, pride really does go before a fall and you may find youself in a very desperate situation some day yourself, just like this guy did. Then, I don't think you'd be in such a hurry to punish and hate. Also worth mentioning: This country is so far from liberal or progressive that it's hilarious that some people think this is actually where we now are. Wow, what color is the sky in your world? We are going backwards at such a fast rate and in every way that we are practically in a new Stone Age. They used to refer to it as de-evolution.

To Wonda Bred: I'm so sorry to hear of your predicament. Surely, your step-son would rather that you get the health care. Best Wishes to You. Get Well...

June 21, 2011 at 22:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Amicable

Why burn Trillions on WARS & BAILOUTsss!!! when the government cant provide for basic care for its much deserved citizens?

Does it improved the situation for the bottom-line? In anyways or forms? Did we even win more love from people we fought war? How much value does it bring to us for the amount we have already spent? We all need the deep soul searching...or be completely broke as a nation; when people who are govern by blinds....Half of the Obama term was utilized for massive healthcare reform...and the true reality is right here!!!!! what an achievement! I'm sure all the politicians must be proud on both sides. Good Job Guys!!!!!

How many more people have to commit crimes now to get the basic care!!! Awesome!!!! keep spending $$$$$$$ overseas to bring peace for us...im sure you guys have all figured out very well...how great our money has done in pakistan...they kept our money and assisted our enemies who kills our brave soldiers....and we will (still) keep on paying them....what a great policies!!!! Incredible....our values are gone so deep in the ocean that it cant be fixed...

we need miracles!!!! Or a leader who wont make fake claims to believe in CHANGE! Do they even know what change means probably they have a different dictionary like everything else....

June 21, 2011 at 22:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. just a guy

Please people, give me a break. I spent a good portion of my life in prison as a result of drug abuse and the crimes associated with it. I don't have a degree, yet I make in excess of 200k a year because I chose to make a change (no I don't go to NA/AA or am I associated with any religion). I don't want to hear preaching about no one has a chance blah, blah, blah...To me it's excuses trying to justify why someone else should pay for something for you. We certainly have a responsibility to lift people up, but it's not our responsibility to keep them there. You think pharmaceutical companies don't spend billions on the drug that gets you better? Where do they recoup their money? You think research is cheap?

How about prisons, we lock people up for ridiculous drug offenses and feed the very system we say we deplore and create jobs in the prison society that employ millions of people, but don't want to give care to the people that make it possible for those millions to have jobs?

France? Go ahead, move there, they'll be bankrupt soon after Greece. The top 2% of wage earners pay a disproportionate share of the taxes already, why should they pay more? Tax, tax, tax, that seems to be the answer for everything, why not a flat tax. Income redistribution is just a form of taking from many who have made a CHOICE to have a better life. Sure, there are those that were born into it, but why should they not be able to receive what their family has earned?

Idiots that want everything for free because someone else has it better than them disgust me.

June 21, 2011 at 22:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • voice of reason

I don't believe you. There are people with college degrees, MBAs and 20+ years of experience that have been unemployed for a long time – and they don't have criminal records. Right wingers only acknowledge there is a recession and high rate of unemployment in talking points – they don't realize that means that honest, hard working people want jobs and can't get them.

June 21, 2011 at 22:43 | Report abuse |
    • just a guy

Dream on Michael, I don't deal drugs nor do I use them any more. I did drugs for a long time and did a lot of foolish things, and quite frankly I'm on track to earn about 300k this year doing my profession. While it certainly may make you feel better to believe it's not true why don't you google "just a guy" and "prison report" and learn that not only did I do time I wrote a blog from my bunk in prison, I did my profession in prison sitting on a bunk using a contraband cell phone and earned over 200k a year while doing a legal job (though having a phone in prison was against prison rules it wasn't/still isn't illegal). So, sad sob stories about how the rich get richer and I can't make it get little sympathy from me.

June 21, 2011 at 22:43 | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Whatever you have to tell yourself sweetie......no one here is buying your line of bs kid.....

June 21, 2011 at 22:44 | Report abuse |
    • just a guy

Voice of Reason-here's voice of reality, what i wrote is true. While certainly hard to believe, quite true...sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

June 21, 2011 at 22:46 | Report abuse |
    • OP

well, you are assuming the system we have can handle a fully educated workforce with everyone having a 175 point I.Q.

Even if everyone had those qualifications, someone would need to work the crappy minimum wage jobs. I think we are at that point now. TO many overqualified people for the jobs they are being forced to take.

You can't have it both ways. Stop telling people to get educated for a job when there simply aren't enough jobs for a fully educated workforce.

And while we are on the subject of education, how come the cost burden is 100% placed on our shoulders? We are paying to get educated to work for others. Yet, these so called "others" don't pay anything for our education. Most of us go to college for a degree that will land us a job, not for something we 100% love.

Anyway, enough ranting.

June 21, 2011 at 22:58 | Report abuse |
    • just a guy

OP-please read my post, i am not "fully educated" nor is my IQ near 175, yet I manage to make a very good living. Because someone is smarter than me and makes more than me and has a better education they should pay for me? that may make sense to you, but not to me. there are plenty of folks less intelligent than me that make plenty more than me, more power to them. as well, there are plenty people smarter than me (i'm sure many on this comment section) that make less. why? does it really matter?

June 21, 2011 at 23:06 | Report abuse |
    • Just a Thought

Why should the rich have to pay more? The Bush-era tax cuts for the rich were an unfunded give-away that deepened the deficit at a time when Bush was throwing money at fighting the Iraq war. It was supposedly to spur investment and "trickle down to the middle class." Economists generally say it failed to do that – it just pushed the tax burden to the lower and middle classes. Even former top GOP economists say it was far from a financially sound policy!

As for the top 4% of families "earning" those millions, think about who most of them are. They're the CEO and senior banks execs who got huge bonuses while the people whose money they oversaw saw their savings squandered. They're the people getting monster golden parachutes after leaving a company – with mandatory exit bonuses after only a year or so of work that hardly rocked the financial outlook of the company. They're people who got onto a board of directors and got their fellow board members to approve ridiculous raises and bonus packages, money that should have gone to the shareholders who are supposed to get real dividends for their investments. There's no "earning the money" here. Just insider deals, favored treatment, and back-scratching payoffs. Sure, that doesn't cover everyone, but you read enough of how a lot of new money gets "earned" and you realize there ought to be regulations to prevent corporate raiding and trough overfeeding. But we know which party is obstructing that kind of law.

June 21, 2011 at 23:10 | Report abuse |
    • ellen

so you're an exception to the rule......so? i'm sorry, i'm not sure what your point is.

June 21, 2011 at 23:19 | Report abuse |
    • just a guy

Just a thought-so the top 4% is only ceo's and bank execs? not small business owners, not mid-size business owners, traders, lawyers, doctors, etc...while it certainly may feel good to believe the top 4% are ceo's and bank execs that would mean there are an awful lot of those people. the question is why were there tax cuts? generally something is cut after it's been raised, right? now, i don't know all of the dynamics of how taxes got to be where they were, where they are, or the general history of taxes, quite frankly i don't care. what i care about is what is right. so, even if 99 out of 100 of those tax cuts went to bankers and ceo's what about the 1 person who isn't a banker or ceo, should they be "punished" for the errors of those many because he/she earned they're wealthy. there really is no such thing as equality of scale, it's not reality and never will be.

those golden parachutes were things those execs negotiated for in their contract, do i think it's "right" not necessarily, but they negotiated and the employer agreed to it, so who's at fault? if they did a crappy job fire them, if they did something illegal, prosecute them. doesn't matter much now, does it?

June 21, 2011 at 23:21 | Report abuse |
    • ellen

you've provided an anecdotal story that is completely unrepresentative of the majority. you've proven absolutely nothing.

June 21, 2011 at 23:23 | Report abuse |
    • just a guy

Ellen-I think my point is pretty clear since i stated it a couple of times-choice. I'm an exception, why? What is the "rule" that I had a sh!tty life therefore it should remain so? that's defeatist, which i'm not.

"Everyone has a choice, what that choice is is NOT dependent on government but on YOU."

June 21, 2011 at 23:24 | Report abuse |
    • just a guy

According to you I guess I've proven I can be, "an exception to the rule."

June 21, 2011 at 23:27 | Report abuse |
    • GOP is Death

You are a liar and you know it! Stop with your BS!!

June 21, 2011 at 23:29 | Report abuse |
    • luke

i believe it, though it means nothing. The opportunity came around for you, you took it, made money, great. 2/3 business fails, and i know you realize that while you think you did alot, you are lucky. The problem here is that some people missed the boat when it arrived, should they die for it? case in point.

June 21, 2011 at 23:33 | Report abuse |
    • Ace Nine

Hey man you want to hook it up and buy me a bmw, i mean it can be used, its only a fraction of what you make... like you know what give me $1 and ill be happy... I wish i could be rich.

June 21, 2011 at 23:34 | Report abuse |
    • rafael

You ignored OP's point. Our economy depends on having a certain level of unemployment. The natural rate of unemployment has been estimated by free market theorists at 4-7%. Below this level, there is upward pressure on wages to attract good workers and inflation accelerates. So even purist free market economists recognize that the society must actually support unemployment, and the unemployed, as part of the social compact. It's easy for success stories to say "everyone can do it just like me" but the truth is that a whole society of you's couldn't acheive it either.

June 21, 2011 at 23:34 | Report abuse |
    • crazyworld

What exactly do you do for a living that you earn 250-300k with no college degree and a prison record? My guess is either entertainment or stock market. Enlighten us!

Poor guy. I wonder how much Coca-Cola/HFSC he was ingesting. All of a sudden symptoms show up when he's less active and has no purpose to his day. Stress is a killer. Very sad.

June 21, 2011 at 23:35 | Report abuse |
    • Dave

"Just a guy" must be the bag man for Goldman Sux or JPMoron. They are all cons making outrageous amounts of money...

June 21, 2011 at 23:52 | Report abuse |
    • just a guy

posted this in the wrong spot, sorry:

You must be one of those with a 175 IQ because you've read between many lines on OP's point that to me were not there. I never read mention of unemployment in OP wrote, but I must have missed that.
      Rafael,

At any rate, I not once said that all people shouldn't have access to healthcare nor do I believe that only elites should have it. I think that Obamacare is very flawed and will cost more long term and drive us deeper in debt. I don't know what the healthcare solution is, but raising taxes isn't it. Creating an economy that brings people back to work will help some. I don't know the answer, nor does anyone seem to. There is no "perfect" system. People get lost in all of them.

June 21, 2011 at 23:56 | Report abuse |
    • cindy

Well goodie-gumdrops for you. Ever stop to think that YOU are not EVERYONE? Ever stop to think that not everyone has the same intelligence, help, support, opportunities, resources or talents that you may have or may have had to get you where you are today? Anyone who thinks they don't owe large parts of their success to their society and the efforts of others are kidding themselves and selling their support system short. We don't live or work in a vacuum and it's up to those of us lucky enough to be doing alright for ourselves to lend support to those of us who aren't. Anything less is, IMO, shameful and selfish.

June 21, 2011 at 23:58 | Report abuse |
    • just a guy

Oh, I pay my fair share, I have kids too. I grew up behind Kmart just so you know, lived in an apartment till I was 30. So, yes goodie-gumdrops for me, I made a choice to get my sh!t together.

No, I'm not in the stock market or entertainment industry. I will not disclose what I do because I'm a bit paranoid and it's not worth the risk to my career, but I will say that what I do for a living does actually (most of the time) change people's lives for the better.

Sure, I'm lucky, but I earned my luck. What's the phrase, "luck is when opportunity meets preparation."

June 22, 2011 at 00:04 | Report abuse |
    • Incredulouslyuso

Well Azzhole, them I want my $10K a year that I spent on a stupid Vietnam II war back. I would just as soon spend that money on real-life threats as this guy find tumors and cancer that don't contribute to the industrial war machine. Its simple:
      tax churches, legalize and tax pot, use those tax funds to fund a nation-wide healthcare coop which provides medications at cost. Have a US-wide healthcare cooperative like say the VA and provide for the most basic protection – healthcare.

June 22, 2011 at 01:15 | Report abuse |
    • Noble9

There are choices and then there are choices. Probably not many of either for a crippled ex-delivery man in Gaston County, NC, wherever the hell that is.

June 22, 2011 at 01:27 | Report abuse |
    • Don

I don't want outrageous taxes...but fact is the rich just pass the taxes on to consumers....the middle class is getting hammered in this country, therefore the middle class is disappearing....any successful economy is dependent on a strong economic middle class.

June 22, 2011 at 01:58 | Report abuse |
    • Cool1

You were probably high when you wrote this rant. You are a drug abuser and a criminal by your own admission. So, I can not believe you.

June 22, 2011 at 03:15 | Report abuse |
    • just a guy

Cool1: So you believe what I wrote about addiction and and my past, but don't want to believe the rest. Hmmm, think about that. To me seems you only want to believe what you want to believe. Selective belief systems, I've seen a lot of those here.

June 22, 2011 at 09:49 | Report abuse |
  4. GOP 4 LIFE 2

God, those poor $250,000 a year earners barely scraping by. We ought to cut overpaid teacher salaries in order to give them a tax break.

June 21, 2011 at 22:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • just a guy

and how did they get in a position to earn 250k? was it just given to them or did they EARN THE OPPORTUNITY? the magical 250k job just appeared because someone handed them something you don't have? BS, see my post above. I'm one of those and grew up poor, did time ( a few times for that matter) and I earn that. A-f****in-mazing ain't it.

June 21, 2011 at 22:29 | Report abuse |
    • Just a Thought

Just a Guy, it's great that you're one of the people who really changed their life for the better. That's hardly the norm. And it's hardly the benchmark for how to look at the average "rich" person. The reality for most people is that they can't move their financial picture nearly as much. Looking at the guy in this story, you see one of many elderly who have little hope of relying on the health care system to keep them alive. And as costs keep rocketing up, more and more people will find the health care system is out of their reach. People with deep pockets will never have to think twice about whether they'll have coverage. And many will have a hard time understanding that so many can't access health care as easily as they can.

June 21, 2011 at 23:23 | Report abuse |
    • just a guy

While I "changed my life" and "that's hardly the norm" then why isn't it? Are people so beaten down by "the rich" they can't make the same choices to turn their lives around? Is it easier to just complain and blame the "rich" for one's life status? My overall point is this: if I can do it anyone can do it. Period. It's pretty simple.

Why am I any different than anyone else? I don't consider myself to be "better than" any more than anyone else (at least I don't think I do). I just get tired of people blaming everyone else for their problems. The answer to your problems is there, it's just not going to get fixed by bigger government or bigger/more of/less of ad infinitum, it can't be fixed by anyone but you (unless there are psychological factors).

June 21, 2011 at 23:35 | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy-James

I see that prison changed your financial situation for the better at the expense of people skills.

June 22, 2011 at 01:13 | Report abuse |
  5. just a guy

Here here.

June 21, 2011 at 22:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • chris miller

It's actually 'hear, hear' but I agree with the sentiment.

June 22, 2011 at 01:35 | Report abuse |
  6. niittymaki

Welcome to the divided stated of embarrassment!

June 21, 2011 at 22:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. FWContini

This guy's in for a rude awakening. Upon entry in the federal prison system, he will be told there is nothing wrong with him, despite medical records that will show he has problems. The growth on his chest will be ignored, he will receive ibuprofen for his two ruptured disks, and if he's really lucky he will be given a wheelchair if his left foot causes walking problems. I sure hope he doesn't have any dental issues — bad teeth are pulled, not filled. As a former federal prisoner myself, I know this from firsthand experience. Don't believe the media disinformation about prisons. Medical care is nonexistent and they are not country clubs.

June 21, 2011 at 22:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • just a guy

having done both state and federal time i can say it's not great, but certainly isn't non-existent.

June 21, 2011 at 22:36 | Report abuse |

Chris-thanks. I think?

June 21, 2011 at 23:09 | Report abuse |
    • myname

Wow I posted almost the exact same thing. You have a tooth ache you're not getting 3 dentist visits you're losing a tooth. Not only that but your PO is gonna make sure you get a job when you get released and you'll be paying the state back a ridiculous amount for that third world health care.

June 21, 2011 at 23:23 | Report abuse |
  8. madeleine dee

everyone should have access to healthcare and it can be paid for from the guns and gold mad people that "love" their country store

for shame

we are all just human

June 21, 2011 at 22:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • c

amen

June 22, 2011 at 01:12 | Report abuse |
    • mibinohio

So...you want to take (presumably by force) someone else's private property?

June 22, 2011 at 09:06 | Report abuse |
    • jean2009

What pray tell are you talking about?

The insured are already paying to the tune of $1,100 a year for the uninsured. What is wrong with making it possible for people to purchase their own insurance so they can visit a doctor; which is far less expensive than going to the emergency room when they are sick? The emergency room by law can't charge them or deny them. So they transfer their cost to the policies of the insured. Which means the insured policy cost goes up.

June 22, 2011 at 10:56 | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

All the ER has to do is stabalise the patient that comes in so if you don't have insurance to pay thats all they do then send them on their way.

June 22, 2011 at 13:43 | Report abuse |
    • Chris M

@jean2009 As someone who has chosen to just pay my own bills and not use an insurance company, I can tell you that I think the charging practices of Emergency rooms are seriously overpriced to begin with. A 5 minute consultation with a doctor was $675. No tests were done, no medicine was prescribed, so the entire amount is just the cost of the consultation. A 1 minutes visual inspection followed by a flu diagnostic and a short advice about drinking liquids and resting. It took longer to fill the 10 pages of forms without which they refused any treatment whatsoever. And then a $675 bill in the mail (which BTW they refused to let me have/pay on the spot, when I was at the hospital). The cost in my humble opinion is unjustifiable and symptomatic of the everyday fleecing of Americans by the healthcare system.

June 28, 2011 at 13:49 | Report abuse |
  9. just a guy

really. that's about the most moronic statement i've read thus far. jigs. get a life in big D, where I live but certainly not representative of the overall feeling in big D.

June 21, 2011 at 22:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Michael

Just a guy is actually just a kid who lives in a fantasy world......

June 21, 2011 at 22:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • just a guy

whatever makes you feel better, you're tiring.

June 21, 2011 at 22:53 | Report abuse |
    • chris

you're acting like an immature liberal baby. grow up.

June 21, 2011 at 23:04 | Report abuse |
    • Juice

Just a guy, I bet you'd make a million dollars a year if you didn't troll on message boards for 14 hours a day. It's surprising you still have time to make all your money! You are a true hero!

June 21, 2011 at 23:41 | Report abuse |
  11. Disgusted

Americans are heartless pigs.

June 21, 2011 at 22:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Name*Cali Girl

Really?!? U need to go back to the Rock u crawled out from u freak!! F* u!! Get the heck out of America if u don't like it!!

June 22, 2011 at 00:01 | Report abuse |
    • demforlife

Right on!!!

June 22, 2011 at 01:17 | Report abuse |
    • mcv57

Without the spirit of God, they are nothing more than animals with no conscious.

June 22, 2011 at 02:00 | Report abuse |
    • Team America

Yea, I agree. We are heartless. It has nothing to do with the place that we live in but more the people that run it.

June 22, 2011 at 02:42 | Report abuse |
  12. Really

so the top 2 percent pay too much taxes,does that include the corp top 1 percent ..i.e GE ...who paid zero and was owed monies...i thought not...

June 21, 2011 at 22:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paul NYC

There is nearly a religious reverence towards the rich by a certain underclass of people who are only too happy to vote for those who cut their throats for a dime. They have no jobs but look at the rich as if they are gods.

June 21, 2011 at 23:13 | Report abuse |
  13. USAPatriot

He should have joined the military when he was younger. If he only had done a minimal stint and discharged honorably, he'd be eligible for VA medical care if his income is low enough. Even veterans that have more money but no health insurance can get health care from the VA, though there may be copays and deductibles involved. Has anyone even asked this guy if he's a vet? You don't have to be a retired vet, a disabled vet or a combat vet. Just a veteran with a need. America takes care of those of us that have taken care of her. If you're a veteran, honorably discharged and do not have health insurance go to va DOT gov right now. You earned it.

June 21, 2011 at 22:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dave

Really? Most vets don't get near the medical treatment they deserve after putting their life on the line to help line the pockets of big business – oil, the MI complex, the weed prison complex, the banksters et al. You however sound like you could use some treatment if you think military service is all about protecting our country. It is all about enriching our corporations as it ahs been with all empires in the past...our time is waning though. China is next is seems...

June 21, 2011 at 23:59 | Report abuse |
    • Sharky

You think the VA medical treatment is so great, you go there.

June 22, 2011 at 01:00 | Report abuse |
  14. James

Only in America! Really. Only in America!

June 21, 2011 at 22:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. joe

we should have universal healthcare, but find the funding by cutting other programs government jobs. flame away

June 21, 2011 at 22:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. uradumdum

If freedom isn't free who is paying for it?

June 21, 2011 at 22:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. ron

@CNN sometimes you have to resort to drastic measures just to get basic survival needs met .... but then again, the most powerful and privileged will never understand this

June 21, 2011 at 22:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • demforlife

Ron, I couldn't agree more, and its not just that they don;t understand. They don't give a damn.

June 22, 2011 at 01:19 | Report abuse |
  18. markus

Harrison Ford looks a little tough these days...

June 21, 2011 at 22:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mcv57

... your mind wanders alot, doesn't it?

June 22, 2011 at 02:03 | Report abuse |
  19. Trevor

I'm Canadian. I don't feel oppressed.

Please speak for someone else. I have a voice.

June 21, 2011 at 23:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • demforlife

Trevor, Canada has a great health care system and a culture where taking responsibility for each other is the norm, unlike the U.S. where its every man for himself, and if you can't provide for yourself, too damn bad for you!

June 22, 2011 at 01:21 | Report abuse |
  20. Dropkick08

I'd be happy to buy my own healthcare however, some idiot politician decided to take the kick back from the insurance lobby and as a result, I am not eligible for healthcare coverage. I would say that law directly inhibits my " life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". It is just not American.

Also, to the people who do not support universal healthcare. You are truely lucky that you don't have a need for it. I envy you. However, its a dangerous path you are walking. What happens when a medical crisis happens to you? Will you rob a bank to get coverage? Worse, what about a loved who has no coverage? Are you going to tell you son, or daughter that they have to die because we can't afford the treatment?

Doing nothing but spouting ignorance isn't getting us anywhere. Healthcare isn't about helping those in need. Its about ensuring that everyone, including the ignorant, have access to ongoing and preventative coverage. No more stupid deaths due to unpaid premiums. No more children dying because their parents coudn't afford the bone marror transplant. Just no more of what it was like without the current healthcare law. Something is better than nothing!

June 21, 2011 at 23:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • demforlife

Dropkick08, what the idiots who don;t support universal health care don;t realize is that just because they don't need it right now, doesn't mean they won't at some point and then they'll expect to have everything paid for magically somehow. I work in health care. I see it all the time. {People don;t want to pay for it to help others, but dont;realize that this is something we ALL need sooner or later. They are screwing themselves and are totally brainwashed by the big corporations and the Republican/Tea Party

June 22, 2011 at 01:24 | Report abuse |
    • Oregon Mom

I completely understand where you are coming from. Our daughter was born with Spina Bifida. Unlike some cases, hers has taken us down a long road of medications, surgeries etc. Her fathers insurance denied covering any of her "major" treatments, considering it related to a pre-existing condition. The saving grace for us is that in Oregon, we have The Oregon Health Plan, which covers her bills entirely, but there is a catch. We have an income cap, and mind you an extremely low one, we must stay under to keep it going. So while educated, and willing to go out and make a good life for our kids, we stay at poverty level, because the alternative is going in debt 500k – 1 million a year to cover her yearly medical costs, and we know the jobs we would find would never cover that. He entertained one at one point, but the insurance wasn't going to cover anything we needed.

June 22, 2011 at 02:34 | Report abuse |
  21. Pat

Why don't we just legalize marijuana.

June 21, 2011 at 23:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mcv57

Another wandering mind ....

June 22, 2011 at 02:04 | Report abuse |
  22. jonathan

so i guess you don't want police or fire departments then

June 21, 2011 at 23:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • oldboldgold

Spoken like a true politician fear monger. Take away rational programs and spend billions on Afghanistan. Tired of the scare tactics promulgated by the government, corporations, blah blah. This country is spending trillions on what? War against the downtrodden and corporate welfare. Of course, corporations make big money out of war, while our sons are killed. I believe in our soldiers, they are willing to give their lives to protect our country. I do not believe in invading Middle Eastern countries for Big Oil. Big Oil bought up all alternative energy patents for fifty years just to suppress the technology. How's that working for you?

June 22, 2011 at 06:36 | Report abuse |
    • Seriously?

What do Fire Departments do but put out fires that are already started? That doesn't help many people, if the houses weren't built so close together the fire wouldnt spread. Also I haven't heard a story about the Gang In Blue actually protecting anyone in a while, all they do where I live is beat black honors students into a coma and beat their girlfriends and get away with it.

June 22, 2011 at 09:02 | Report abuse |
    • mike

If all law abiding people wore guns you would probably only need 1/2 the police. How about volunteer fire departments
      instead of these multi million dollar money sucking outfits we have now.

June 22, 2011 at 10:41 | Report abuse |
  23. Karl

I am German and I find it very surprising that so many Americans seem to be just fine with their situation as long as their very own government is not involved in their lives. Should a bigger return for your buck not be a natural expectation given the fact that you pay your taxes and insurance premiums? In our globalized and interconnected world of 2011, the average American is paying an outrageous amount of taxes (and insurance) once expenses for education, health care, outdated infrastructure and lack of mobility alternatives are factored in.

June 21, 2011 at 23:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • USAPatriot

Yeah well, we're still paying for the costs of ridding Europe of your Uncle Adolph and rebuilding most of the continent. The horrendous recession and inflation we had during the 70's was caused by the first installment of the 30 year bonds sold to pay for the war coming due. But see, we borrowed our way out of that crisis and those bonds are and will continue to be coming due in the future. Inflation is unavoidable. While you're smarting off, hinting at German superiority, look around you and thank the US for everything you see. America's dollars, not to mention American, English and Russian blood, paid for nearly everything you have.

June 21, 2011 at 23:15 | Report abuse |
    • Dropkick08

USAPatriot, What are you talking about? So the fact that the winning side nations of WWI decided to bankrupt the losing side nations is what caused WWII. Hitler used the rediculous reparations as fuel to stoke people of Germany into starting WWII. Thats a fact! I guess you also are going to go after the UK. Atleast finally paid off their stupid blood debt.

We are funding two wars, and have the lowest tax revenue since 1952. Tell you leaders to stop being poor international studies and start doing what is right by this nation. Raise taxes on the rich. Cut the personal and corporate tax evading loopholes out of the current code. Increase trade tarrifs from they current laughable amount.

Do all that and this country will be headed to a brighter future.

June 21, 2011 at 23:36 | Report abuse |
    • Incredulouslyuso

point well taken, and aside from moving far away from the high-foreheaded ones in the US we have to try to vote them out. There is a very strong propaganda machine in the US with Rush Limabaugh and Glen Beck. Their followers will not listen to any other thoughts other than the ones that Rush pulls from his lower colon.

June 22, 2011 at 01:27 | Report abuse |
    • mcv57

It's a result of political corruption, greed, bureaucratic decadence and social moral deterioration. Remember Rome.

June 22, 2011 at 02:08 | Report abuse |
  24. Asrar Ahmed

Thank God, I live in Canada. 😀

June 21, 2011 at 23:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cindy

ha ha You don't know how right you are. They've got us at each others throats here. Right where they want us. Angry and far too distracted to know how to properly aim it.

June 22, 2011 at 00:21 | Report abuse |
    • demforlife

Asrar, you said it!

June 22, 2011 at 01:27 | Report abuse |
    • mcv57

Your false sense of security has revealed your ignorance of the economic condition of Canada. The Canadian economy is run on a debt-based monetary system, much the same as the U.S. It's decadence is greatly accelerated by its massive dysfunctional bureaucracy, but your economic infrastructure is so inter-connected that your monetary would collapse on the same day as the U.S. in the event of a financial meltdown.

Honestly, go to school and read economic books instead of drinking beer and molesting moose.

June 22, 2011 at 02:25 | Report abuse |
  25. myname

As someone who has done a little time I can tell you that your tax payer dollars are not being wasted on inmate health care. If a person has a toothache they're not gonna get 5 dentist visits they're gonna get it pulled. They will also be charged a ridiculous amount by the state for this horrible care and upon release will be required by their PO to have employment. This insures that their court fines and these medical bills are paid.

June 21, 2011 at 23:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cindy

You are soooo right. And how in the heck did the Prison Guard's Union get such a powerful lobby? The U.S. prison system is HORRIBLE. This guy is in for a BIG surprise.

June 22, 2011 at 00:24 | Report abuse |
  26. Cater Hobbs

Thank God, I live in Canada too.....

June 21, 2011 at 23:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. CAWinMD

And to think that the GOP feels they are the "values" voters. If this GOP4LIFE idiot is representative, then their values aren't worth a bucket of warm spit.

June 21, 2011 at 23:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Jason

This is an example of the rich oppressing the poor to me. My scripture says that those who are rich should be giving to the poor. If that means providing the means for healthcare, then that is what it means. We are not supposed to sit by and watch human suffering and rejoice in our higher life position. If we are the true Christian nation we were founded to be, there would be no question. However, our government is full of atheists, so what does one do but rob a bank for $1?

June 21, 2011 at 23:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • demforlife

Jason, you are so right. It always amazes me how these right wing "christians" choose the passages of the bible they want to read. They tend to conveniently forget that Jesus preached caring for the poor and underpriviledged. That woulnd;t work well for the GOP/Teabagger agenda.

June 22, 2011 at 01:30 | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Republicans ignore the red words.

June 22, 2011 at 02:12 | Report abuse |
    • mibinohio

The Bible speaks of charity as an individual act, NOT as a government action.

June 22, 2011 at 09:16 | Report abuse |
  29. just a guy

Actually, Ellen, I guess I've proven I can be, "an exception to the rule."

June 21, 2011 at 23:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. GOP is Death

I wish I could get reasonable health care. The GOP wants all Americans sick or slaving to pay for their own health so they can work harder with less vacation and hopefully lower wages. This will help the GOP funding the HMO's, all energy corporations, the ubber rich and so forth....Yeah go GOP you carry a Bible in one hand and cash for corporations in the other with nothing but blame and distain for the American people on your lips!

June 21, 2011 at 23:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill Clinton

Your personality makes you unemployable. That's not the fault of any political party.

June 22, 2011 at 10:37 | Report abuse |
  31. vicki

June 21, 2011 at 23:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. PJ

It's not a flawed health care system. It's a flawed prison system. It's a flawed tax system. Health care is fine. Get a skill, get a job, pay for your own medical care. If you legitimately can't work, then we have systems in place for that. If you can legitimately work, do so. If you choose not to, then you don't deserve health care.

June 21, 2011 at 23:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • just a guy

I pretty much agree with you.

June 22, 2011 at 00:23 | Report abuse |
  33. John

Wow, this is hilarious. except for some of the comments which dont have anything to do with the artile quote "canadians have been brainwashed by thheir socialist government to believe they're getting a good deal. Deep down they all feel oppressed.

June 21, 2011 at 23:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joe

I'm Canadian and I have to agree with you. 🙂

June 22, 2011 at 01:14 | Report abuse |
  34. Gwen

I think everyone has a choice. This man has family that could have helped him, give him a place to stay, etc., while he continued to look for a job. Instead, he picked breaking the law so he could get taken care of for free. What did people do during the depression? They moved in with family, helped each other out. The problem with society is that everyone wants something for free. While I can't imagine being in his position, I think he made the wrong choice and is setting a bad example.

June 21, 2011 at 23:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Um

Not everyone has living relatives...and to assume that this guy would prefer to go to jail over begging his relatives for money is asinine.

June 22, 2011 at 01:29 | Report abuse |
  35. vicki

but if this person is an elder and can not get work and Can not get help thats just sad and personally I this they should step up and take care of the elders !!

June 21, 2011 at 23:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Bob

I think the Republicans need to wake up and stop telling everyone that we have the best health care system in the world! Yes, it true that we have the best hospitals in the world, but our healthcare system is loaded with scammers, fraud to medicare, ugly monopolistic rules, and downright stealing: pay for insurance, but don't ever get really sick, WE WILL DROP YOU LIKE A HOT POTATOE. It is a shame that a man has to rob a bank for $1, so he can get inmate care through the prison system. We definitely, need to clean up our healthcare system. I applaud President Obama for trying to fix this problem. He obviously, didn't fix the problem yet. I give the Republicans a fat ZERO on this one, because they are trying to keep our broken healthcare system, BROKEN

June 21, 2011 at 23:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dirk

What's a potatoe?

June 22, 2011 at 01:29 | Report abuse |
    • demforlife

Bob, you said it!

June 22, 2011 at 01:32 | Report abuse |
  37. American Robot

I love being an American. I also love the fact that everyone bickers about how our government sucks and blah blah blah. The facts are here. You won't do anything about it and will continue living in a country that keeps borrowing and spending money, then complain about it. You will all argue with each other about who is wrong and how you're right all the time blah blah blah... In a country that comes together only during times of crises I have a feeling that none of these problems will fix themselves. For that reason we will always remain to have problems. (ie Healthcare, Education, Jobs, etc.)

June 21, 2011 at 23:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. just a guy

Rafael,

June 21, 2011 at 23:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. greg

@just a guy.... you seem very intelligent even though i disagree with much of what you say. I would only ask that you do your research and dig deep into how America's wealth and power came about...Cheap Labor (aka Slave Labor) and off the backs of poor people.

What people dont seem to want to realize is that to the rich, well off and powerful....it doesnt pay to provide healthcare to the poor or give them a voice...or better yet Lift the poor out of poverty. Its all a game and the systems we have in place act as checks and balances to keep power in the hands of money. Without the poor there would never be a such thing as Rich.

Want an example....swing it back to Healthcare. Private companies and the free market have vested interests in medicines to battle such diseases as Cancer and AIDS. It works against their balance sheet to work towards a cure.

Money, Greed and Power........its the American Way baby

June 21, 2011 at 23:46 | Report abuse | Reply

Greg,

Does where American's wealth and power came from really matter any more? What matters is where we are today. You really believe there's some conspiracy to not cure disease, really? I'm very close to the pharmaceutical industry and can tell you point blank that's pretty far fetched. The first company to have a cure for cancer will be a very very very wealthy company (or many other diseases for that matter).

Do you think the wealthy conspire in the back rooms on how to keep the poor down and make sure they always have cheap labor. Really, really? It's pretty hard to keep secrets Greg, and that one is going to be tough.

Money, Greed, Power is pretty much the way of the world Greg.

Well, all it's been fun. Good luck to all of you.

June 22, 2011 at 00:10 | Report abuse |
    • demforlife

Right on Greg. Its all about money and power, power and money. And those who have it are afraid of losing it to the middle class and the poor, which is why they look for every possible tax loophole for themselves so they can get richer and richer and elect Republican lackeys to keep their interests protected, and to make sure to continue oppressing the poor, middle class and underpriviledged. They are afraid of losing their money and power to these people!.

June 22, 2011 at 01:37 | Report abuse |
    • mcv57

Spoken like an Aristocrat.

June 22, 2011 at 02:28 | Report abuse |
  40. Dave

USA is on the decline. We sold our souls when we let manufacturing leave. Go to college... everyone will have a degree and no job to show for it. Its too fubar to fix.

June 21, 2011 at 23:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Stimudent

It's fun to poke fun at America's inferior health care system.

June 21, 2011 at 23:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. YEP

Freedom isn't free! PAY YOUR TAXES!

June 21, 2011 at 23:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Dave

Smart guy Verone – can't say I blame him...

June 21, 2011 at 23:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Dave

"GOP 4 LIFE" – I'm not a Dem but you are either being facetious or are a totally sick bass tard...

June 21, 2011 at 23:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. KT

How about looking into the cost of health care, it's simply out pacing the inflation. I hate to compare it with other countries, but we are just simply paying too much for comparable health care. Even some insurance companies think so, they will pay you to get treament overseas. Why can't we provide health care services or products more competively?

June 22, 2011 at 00:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. just a guy

June 22, 2011 at 00:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cool1

Just a guy,
      I know. You are dealing drugs. Am I right?
      You have abused drugs by your own admission.
      You are not only a dealer, you are your own client too.

June 22, 2011 at 03:25 | Report abuse |
  47. GOPr no more

Hmmm, sounds to me like the man had a good idea....

June 22, 2011 at 00:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. cindy

@GOP for Life – you're either joking or are one sick freak.

June 22, 2011 at 00:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. FTGovt

This dude is in for a rude awakening. The federal health care system is not what people think. He will get health care but unless he is actually on the ground flopping like a headless chicken a 3-year sentence is not long enough to get his health care issues delt with.

June 22, 2011 at 00:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Daniel

vicki

"say this when your old and no job and no money hmmmmmmmmmm wonder what you will do"

Save up money for retirement and get a decent 401k,duh. You give people an easy option to fall back on , i.e. social security, and there gonna fall back on it more often than not. They will not save for retirement because its already paid for.

June 22, 2011 at 00:08 | Report abuse | Reply