home
RSS
June 21st, 2011

Man says he robbed bank to get health care

A man walks into a bank and slips a note to the teller.

The note reads: “This is a bank robbery. Please only give me one dollar.”

Then the man tells the bank employees, “I’ll be sitting right over there in the chair waiting for the police."

He perches himself on a chair outside the bank he just robbed and waits for the police to arrive.

That suspect, James Verone, who is from Gaston County, North Carolina, told CNN affiliate WCNC that he robbed a bank for $1 for the sole reason of getting in jail so he could get free health care. He was not armed during the robbery.

Verone, 59, told WCNC he doesn’t have health insurance, but has a host of medical problems: A growth on his chest, two ruptured disks and a problem with his left foot.  Without a job and money, he reached the conclusion that going to jail would mean free medical care (although it's not free for taxpayers).

“I wanted to make it known that this wasn't for monetary reasons, but for medical reasons," Verone said.  His jailhouse interview with the station is above.

The logic, he told the news station, was to get a three-year sentence so he can get out of jail then collect Social Security and then later live in a Myrtle Beach condo.

Verone told his local paper, The Gaston Gazette that he had worked as a delivery man for Coca-Cola for 17 years.  That career ended three years ago, and he couldn’t find steady employment.  Then the medical problems began.  He lived off his savings and sought a part-time job.

The police charged him with larceny, not bank robbery, because of the $1 amount he demanded at the bank. Verone told his hometown paper if the jail penalty isn’t great enough, the crime will happen again.

Verone told WCNC, "I guess I am manipulating the courts to get medical care."

Is Verone’s story an example of one man gaming the system or a product of a flawed health care in America? Sound off below.

soundoff (1,430 Responses)
  1. Max Basye

The leaders of this country should be ashamed of themselves. Of course they're not. And all Christians who are against universal health care should read the scriptures: administer to to the sick and the poor; do unto others; love thy neighbor.

June 21, 2011 at 19:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mikel

As a Christian, I agree 100%.

June 21, 2011 at 19:51 | Report abuse |
    • Aces

June 21, 2011 at 20:09 | Report abuse |
    • TC

Mikel, you are an idiot! Are you really one of those bone headed, hypocritical Repuclicans that thinks our president has anything to do with Muslims? He is a Christian!! There is nothing wrong with being a Muslim, as it is a beautiful religion, but if it looks, sounds, and acts like a duck, it's a duck. He is a Christian. Wise up, or are you like Ohio's Governor Kasich that ran his platform on no new taxes but when he wanted to squeeze more money out of the two gaming organizations that had already signed agreements with Ohio, he threatened to raise their taxes. Typical Republican.

June 21, 2011 at 20:09 | Report abuse |
    • Dumbfounded

Max, really?!?! Administer to the sick and poor? Do unto others? I don't eat junk food. I don't smoke. I don't pour soda down my children's throats. If people all followed the same health/safety guidelines that are screamed from every outlet, and still got sick or hurt, yeah, I'll pony up some. But I should not have to fund those who choose unhealthy foods (don't give me the "vegetables are expensive" bs), who smoke, drink excessively, don't use sunscreen, don't go for check ups, don't put on seatbelts, don't wear helmets on bikes or motorcycles, speed, talk on cellphones while driving, blah blah blah. And by the way, when I get sick, I will still have to pay the dr, and the insurance company still isn't going to cover my whole bill, but I will still be paying for others, while no one else is ponying up for me...and I ain't rich. Do unto others?!? Do your best for yourself first.

June 21, 2011 at 20:14 | Report abuse |
    • yuhmad

Totally agreed with you. Republicans should have they medical insurances strip from them and have a regular job making the minimum wage . They will see how it feels to be struggling everyday with very little money and yet basic needs cannot be fullfilled.

June 21, 2011 at 20:22 | Report abuse |
    • Carli

I'm with you Max! I live in a very conservative community and yet few of them believe that everyone should have health care...I don't get it. As a follower of Jesus, we are given the task of giving to those who need it and that includes health care! This guy was driven to desperation by politics (which by the way, have nothing to do with helping the american people, but instead, are just a game for the wealthy to trade power).

June 21, 2011 at 20:26 | Report abuse |
    • Michael Hunt

@Dumbfounded
      Technically you already pay for those things. Why do you think your private health insurance is so high? Part of it is the profits of the insurance company, and part of it is because other people are cashing in on their insurance. Their payout raises your premium. You're paying for it either way.

June 21, 2011 at 20:30 | Report abuse |
    • Sags

OMG WHAT HAS OBAMA BEEN TRYING TO TELL ALL OF US FOR THE PAST YEAR AND A HALF!!!! GOD DAMMIT REPUBLICANS!!! THEY LET HIM PASS THE BILL BUT THEY BLOCK THE CHEAP/FREE HEALTH CARE FOR PEOPLE WHO DONT HAVE JOBS OR WHO ARE LOW INCOME! THEN THEY GO AND BLAME OBAMA FOR WASTING MONEY!!! BUT THATS NOT TRUE BECUASE A MAN WHO IS FREE AND IS GETTING FREE HEALTH CARE WHO HAS A CHANCE TO SUCCEED IN LIFE IS BETTER THEN GIVING A MURDERER OR A VICIOUS CRIMINAL FREE HEALTH CARE AND FOOD!!! THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH AMERICA/REPUBLICANS THEY BLAME THE PRESIDENT AND WONT ACCEPT ANY OF HIS PROPOSALS. VOTE OBAMA 2012 HES BETTER THEN ANY OTHER REPUBLICAN

June 21, 2011 at 20:40 | Report abuse |
    • readyingforexpat

I'm a medical worker in the healthcare field. With the experience of taking care of my father with alzheimer's and cancer, seeing how the insurance company dictates his care, the elimination of his life savings for healthcare and alzheimers care, not to mention the career opportunities I have missed for the last 7 years because of being the only caregiver for him I am readying myself by taking foreign language lessons and becoming internationally certified in my field so I can move to France. Why? Because I don't want to go bankrupt if I get sick (I have a history of cancer and I'm 42 years old), want access to healthcare and a better lifestyle of not slaving away at working 2 jobs to survive. I recently became unemployed due to my employer being bought out and now have no insurance because Cobra would cost me $500+ a month! I've interviewed and sent off resumes to no avail. America is going down the toilet, folks. I would gladly pay much higher taxes for healthcare, cheap childcare daycare expenses and a lot more vacation per year.

June 21, 2011 at 21:02 | Report abuse |
    • op

To the guy talking about "doing your best for yourself" and preaching individualism.

That's all fine and dandy in a fair system.

But when a small group of elites have enough conentrated wealth to lobby for laws that favor their agenda, it's hard to live by your motto. Capitalism, like any "ism" works great when things are fair. But come on... do you honestly believe the average poor guy is lazy, unmotivated and simply a "bad" person while every wealthy person is a good, hardworking, determined soul?

June 21, 2011 at 21:03 | Report abuse |
    • concerned citizebn

As a Hindu, I too am behinfd him 100%. This shame of healtchcare only for the privileged can not continue for vey long.

June 21, 2011 at 21:04 | Report abuse |
    • Lou

@Dumbfounded

Here's how Canada makes it work. They tax the things that get people sick. Taxes on Alcohol, cigarettes, gas, if the activity is unhealthy it get's taxed higher. Basically those people that would need the most medicat attention pay for it through higher taxes on the goods they buy. I would think something similar in the states would go a long way. Tax the stuff that makes people sick the most. Unhealthy foods, cigarettes, alcohol. Let the people that will need the healthcare pay for it with the taxes they've paid over the course of their lives.

June 21, 2011 at 21:08 | Report abuse |
    • Stu

Well said Max. And Dumbfounded this is in response to you. What if we live a so called healthy life style and still end up with a severe medical problem. Such as a horrible accident or cancer. Should we just through these people under the bus. I lived a so called healthy life style and got cancer. I was somebody you would never think would get cancer. I was thin, exercised, ate healthy. But, I still got cancer. So don't be ignorant. Good health is a right for everybody and healthcare should be a right.

June 21, 2011 at 21:10 | Report abuse |
    • mgc6288

From one Christian to another, look up the definition of charity and you'll see it is a voluntary act and not forced taxation. In fact, I'm rather surprised how, you being a Christian, how you'd prefer people to turn to government rather than to God for help with their problems.

Our governments healthcare system isn't about care but about power. Your family cares, your doctor cares, but your government controls and that is all government can do, no more, no less.

June 21, 2011 at 21:21 | Report abuse |
    • mcv57

Aces, you should not collect Social Security. In fact, you should go to another country that has no government aid to live and work The Philippines, comes to mind.

June 21, 2011 at 21:35 | Report abuse |
    • Kurt

I am not rich, very far from it. Yet, I am a Republican. All you liberals posting here have such a screwed up views, it's no wonder this country is in such trouble. All you guys do is hate on anyone who doesn't believe exactly as you do. The hate you espouse is similar to the ignorance of most bigots... it just shows your ignorance. People are people with no 2 alike. Once Republicans & Democrats realize we are ALL Americans with just different ideas & views, will be the day we start turning the corner to a better USA.

June 21, 2011 at 21:42 | Report abuse |
    • bob

a growth and a few ruptured disk is worth getting aids in prison?

June 21, 2011 at 21:52 | Report abuse |
    • Aeromechanic.

It looks like dumbfounded is on the Republican healthcare plan: don't get sick, if you do...........die quickly.

June 22, 2011 at 08:46 | Report abuse |
    • Weed

You should not need religion to know the right thing to do. Administering to your sick is common sense

June 22, 2011 at 10:46 | Report abuse |
    • T Ciccone

Well said. If Jesus returned today, I'm sure that he'd be in favor of helping heal as many people as possible. It is immoral and un-Christian to not provide health care to those who need it. America may be in an economic slump, but it's not impossible to do this with enough effort and change.

June 22, 2011 at 10:52 | Report abuse |
    • pablo

Funny how "Christians" tend to be both social and politically conservative. (read, get a job, I am not helping you) You will find that the more "religious" these people are outwardly, the less likely they are to act in a way which is consistent with the bible's teaching. Rather they tend to rail against the homeless, because of course they are only lazy folks who will NOT work. They rage against anyone who is not like them. Not all of them mind you, but it sure seems like a lot of them are the most hate filled, righteous SOBs around.

June 22, 2011 at 11:00 | Report abuse |
  2. ConservativeCdn

My wife works for a company that sells and helps implements electronic medical record systems for oncology. A number of things she shared surprised me:

1) The first question that most hospitals outside the US ask usually deals with scheduling or patient care. The first question that all American clinics or hospitals ask is how the billing system works.

2) Hospitals here will prescribe the drug that is clinically best suited for the patient, where as in the States the hospitals will administer the drug that is covered under the insurance plan.

3) If you can afford it, you can go to a hospital that easily out-classes many 5 star hotels. Most can not.

As a middle-class citizen, I'm happy to help pay for other people's healthcare through taxes if it means my costs will be lowered. The peace of mind of not having to worry about a single bill after my appendix burst or my cousin's car accident was truly priceless. I will never have to choose between going bankrupt and a loved one's healthcare and I'm grateful for that.

June 21, 2011 at 19:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • God

conservative middle class....hahaha

That is a term that will be EXTINCT within 10 years.

June 21, 2011 at 19:55 | Report abuse |
    • God

I went bankrupt to pay my health insurance and expenses.

So keep hobbin' the knob at your job...

June 21, 2011 at 19:56 | Report abuse |
    • Johnny DC

Hey Canadian Conservative – spending money like that is why your country leads the world in technological innovation. It's why your country helps charitable causes around the world to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars annually. It's why your country provides military support to the oppressed and to Democracies trying to flourish in the darkest of places.

Oh that's right. That's our country. A country that is able to succeed and grow and prosper because it - until recently - was able to make the tough decisions necessary to not punish the majority of it's citizens with the burdens of the few.

June 21, 2011 at 21:35 | Report abuse |
    • Cater Hobbs

Jhonny boi,

Did it ever occur to you that this is also the reason why your country tops the most hated country list in the world ?

Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Panama, Haiti, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, most of the Middle East....

June 21, 2011 at 21:57 | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy-James

DC, your country may want to stop giving to other countries when it is borrowing billions of dollars a month. Not only are you "giving the shirt" off your own back, you are selfishly giving your children and their unborn childrens' clothing as well. While your country may also lead in innovation, it is amazing that many other countries lead in research. Also, what good is innovation if people cannot access it. As a wise woman once told me, "Ninety-nine cent (SIC) is not a bargain, if you do not have ninety-nine cent (SIC)."

June 21, 2011 at 21:59 | Report abuse |
    • cs1234

As a felllow Canadian I completely agree.
      Most of these other replies are from ignorant people that do not know anything,
      and think their country is the center of the universe.

June 21, 2011 at 22:31 | Report abuse |
    • Karl

CS1234 is right. Many of my fellow Americans are ignorant and believe that the USA is the center of the universe. But there are theories that in the center of the universe lies a black hole. Sucking everything around it into oblivion!

Americans better start living in the "World" and stop contributing to the decline of our beautiful nation.

June 22, 2011 at 08:52 | Report abuse |
  3. Cindy

Well, there you go. It's now official. The USA is no longer even a shadow of what it was intended to be. Run away profiteering, greed, corruption and selfishness has beaten the dream of liberty and justice for all. Congratulations, capitalism. You win. Only rich people can now live decent lives in the United States. The rest of us 96% are, what, 3 years of paychecks away from going to jail for the healthcare? Think it can't happen to you, Joe Average? Think again.

June 21, 2011 at 19:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nan4584

Cindy...great post...capitalism has won...but it's a house of cards....this "recession" is far from over. Few causing the financial mess have been or will be prosecuted. Bernie went to jail because he ripped off rich people. I am facing the same as many in their 50's...how will I afford to retire and how will I pay for my medical care? Scary....

June 21, 2011 at 21:31 | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy-James

Cindy, this is not actual Capitalism. There is no such thing as true capitalism in a system that has patents and copyrights. This same patents and copyrights keep healthcare costs sky-high. If Joe-Schmoe could make said medication for a fraction of the cost, a fraction of the time and the same quality and only charge the normal 4-8% profit that most things make...then that person would win the Capitalism game. But no...we give "intellectual property" rights to things like: genes....

June 21, 2011 at 22:02 | Report abuse |
  4. SilverHair

Well said.

June 21, 2011 at 19:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Shawn

Yeah, well said and feel sad

June 22, 2011 at 17:58 | Report abuse |
  5. God

All I have to say is BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD will burn in HELL!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2011 at 19:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cindy

Now that corporations have been given the same rights as people per the recent SCOTUS ruling, perhaps this can be true, God. We can only hope anyway.

June 22, 2011 at 00:44 | Report abuse |
  6. Mikel

He is going to find out pretty quick that the access to health care he is going to get is far outweighed by the sheer terror he will have to endure....

June 21, 2011 at 19:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mark

I doubt that, even if your hoping for it, he's an older man and quite ill.

June 21, 2011 at 20:16 | Report abuse |
    • op

You watch to many movies and wrongly assume prison is full of really bad people.

Unfortunately like an profit making scheme, the jail system is corrupt. It's mostly filled with people in there for trivial things like drug offenses, drivers license issues, and those "abusing" drugs.

June 21, 2011 at 20:35 | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy-James

Op, this is what one can only expect from privatizing prisons and demonizing the inane.

June 21, 2011 at 22:03 | Report abuse |
    • cindy

I wish most of my neighbors were half as nice as some ex-cons I've met. 3 Strkes laws and Minimum Mandantory Sentencing have FILLED the prisons with people who just got caught up in the net, oh, AND the mentally ill (since Reagan just kicked every mentally ill person out into the streets in the '80s – literally). This is what happens when prisons are for profit.

June 22, 2011 at 00:42 | Report abuse |
  7. Greg B

Perhaps everyone who is whining should have become doctors themselves. Go ahead and spend years and years andhundreds of thousands of dollars to get a medical liscence and see how you react when some snotty nosed man-child comes into your office and demands you treat them for free. Grow the f up and realize you have to pay to play. Go back to begging on the corner...

June 21, 2011 at 19:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pat

Well sir you are quite ignorant. In Canada, doctors are paid extremely high wages, they are just payed by the government.It seems to work pretty well here.

June 21, 2011 at 20:26 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

@ Pat. Might work well in Canada but I don't know of one government program here in the US that works effectively. US Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, Post Office...ALL US government programs, ALL going Bankrupt. Even Unemployment is highly taken advantage of. So it might be a great program there in Canada, but it is the American way to mess it up.

June 21, 2011 at 21:02 | Report abuse |
    • Patty

@ Pat

Then move to Canada...

June 21, 2011 at 21:13 | Report abuse |
    • Danny

I highly doubt that whatever the prison has to offer would be worse than dying slowly and painfully.

June 21, 2011 at 21:21 | Report abuse |
    • doublellnfl

Lets hope you can pay for anything you ever need in life, love happiness,

June 21, 2011 at 22:45 | Report abuse |
    • cindy

You have a point. I've always thought that the U.S. government should subsidize the educations of those willing to train to be doctors. That way they wouldn't have those high education loans to repay and so wouldn't need to earn as much. And, shoot, while we're at it let's regulate the insurance industry to bring down those run away malpractice insurance costs. Not exactly where you were going but it proves the point that there are a whole lot of different ways you can approach a problem, you self-glorifying ignoramous.

June 22, 2011 at 00:48 | Report abuse |
    • Vivek Chaudhary

Dear Pat,

You're absolutely wrong. I know 3 doctors who have moved from Canada to US because first they were taxed as much as 50/60% of their income and then their income was capped. Surprisingly, in Canada nursing administrators decides how much a doctor can work (in turn earns).

June 22, 2011 at 04:00 | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Chris you raise a point that I've often heard American's make: the apparent, unfailing crappiness of US government entreprises.

This seems to be quite different in Europe where excellent people can and do work for government departments.

June 22, 2011 at 09:18 | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Vivek they could have moved to a different Canadian province to lower their taxes. I'm from the UK and know you don't pay 60% tax in many Canadian provinces.

June 22, 2011 at 09:24 | Report abuse |
  8. mcv57

This is only a small example of a long, tormenting effect of economic Stagnation/ Depression. The U.S. Government would use propaganda and label the state of the U.S. Economy as a recession in order to avoid panic, but the deception in covering-up the mass unemployment and housing boom will soon real a more prevalent ill of this economy ... hunger and the dissolve of the middle-class (enter Plutocracy).

I believe that Obama knows the imminent/ unavoidable economic conclusion; therefore, the President is attempting to soften the oncoming suffering of the poor by providing FREE HEALTHCARE – the Republicans only interest is protecting the Wealthy and their wallets (by combating the debauching of the U.S. Dollar) ... and to Hades with the poor.

June 21, 2011 at 19:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. DMB, Atlanta, Ga

To the dodo named Johnny- Have you ever watched a two moth old child with a fever of 104 die od cardiac arrest, I have right in the heart of one of the richest cities in this country. The parents were legal immigrents, the father had a job but his job didn't have health insurance. the mother was young about 17 yrs. old aand spoke no english. In thier culture the man runs everything, the wife is subserviant to the husband. The baby would not suckle or take the bottle for three days and the fever got worse. The parents brought the baby into clinic for his appointment but it was too late, they could bearly support themselves and waited as long as they could because they sure a hell could not afford a hospital bill. I have never work pediatrics again. They were denied Medicaid because the father's salary was above the limit by $2.00.

June 21, 2011 at 19:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Johnny

Again, "Dodo", I understand it sounds cruel but the reality is: who has the "right" to live to life expectancy? Is this child the only one to have ever died on this planet? This is the real world, not a TV show or your favorite fairy tale where everyone lives forever and ever amen with no ailments whatsoever.
      And you are conflating this story you just told with this CRIMINAL? How dare you. Just to make your political point. And, yes, if your advocating universal healthcare, you are making a political point. In order to provide "universal" healthcare, you will have to overtax not just the wealthy, but all of us in the middle who work hard for what we have, to be free to invest or spend it as we wish. I'm not giving up my freedom.
      If you are advocating for a charitable cause that addresses people/children like the one you just told, and NOT stories of people like the idiot this article is about, then I'll listen and contribute (and believe me, I am quite sure I contribute far more money annually than most of the bleeding hearts on this page who just want the government to extort from everyone else rather than give anything themselves).

June 21, 2011 at 20:12 | Report abuse |
    • Thomas Jefferson

Have you read the declaration of independence???

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

June 21, 2011 at 21:41 | Report abuse |
    • jjb123

@TJ hwere does it say health care? life does not = healthcare.

June 21, 2011 at 21:54 | Report abuse |
    • bakerj

Actually life would be equivalent to proper healthcare. Just saying.

June 21, 2011 at 22:42 | Report abuse |
    • myname

@TJ – I would argue that I have the right NOT to purchase govt mandated health care to support other but to make my own decision and weigh the risks in my own life. But I guess that doesn't count as freedom; me being forced to pay for health care I do not use in order to subsidize a program so you can go to the doctor every time you get a rash down there from those gnarly chicks, that's freedom right?

June 21, 2011 at 23:44 | Report abuse |
  10. Bribarian

If not for all the illegals, we'd easily afford health care. Good work on trying to take of everyone but americans liberals.

June 21, 2011 at 20:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • disobey

end the wars
      repeal bush and reagan tax cuts
      end of problem
      single payer for all!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2011 at 21:28 | Report abuse |
    • hankers

RU4Real?

June 21, 2011 at 21:38 | Report abuse |
    • Corvus1

I bet you think they're causing those wildfires in AZ...

June 21, 2011 at 22:15 | Report abuse |
    • bakerj

Native Americans have been saying that for over 400 years. If only those white devils would leave...

June 21, 2011 at 22:43 | Report abuse |
  11. FLZunner

I just got a bill for an ER visit for some broken ribs. All they did was told me there was nothing they could do about broken ribs, wrote me a prescription for 1 week supply of Pain Killers and Ibuprofen. No X-Rays, no nothing.

Total Bill $2850.00. I have to pay $910.00. Our health care system if screwed up bad. I'm deciding if I should pay this amount, or send them a check for $150.00 and thell them that's reasonable.

June 21, 2011 at 20:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • hankers

My brother dropped into emergency with abdominal pains last year and he received CAT scan that day and emergency colonectomy the next day (Sunday). Has now completed Chemo and receives good follow up. Also, because of disability, he received a prescription card for the meds and some $ toward living expenses as he was formerly self-employed just making ends meet. Yes, we live in Canada and it is not the health care hole the repubs advertised during the last elections.

June 21, 2011 at 21:45 | Report abuse |
    • Vivek Chaudhary

Hankers, you must be Obama's brother disguising under a pseudo name.

June 22, 2011 at 04:03 | Report abuse |
    • Kay

Was that supposed to be funny, Vivek? (Hint: it wasn't.)

June 22, 2011 at 16:43 | Report abuse |
  12. Anna

The only thing worse than the American health care system is the American prison system.

June 21, 2011 at 20:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mcv57

During the Great Depression, social and political corruption was rampant and wide-spread in America – Dog-eat-Dog. The only purifying element of this economic condition was that the scarce monetary system eventually wiped-out the unethical business behavior. FDR recognize the poor and the starving; moreover, the brutality of his citizens toward one another ... that is why he boldly, and courageously sought to instill the Social Security Administration.

June 21, 2011 at 20:16 | Report abuse |
    • John Kelly

I would disagree because in prison you at least get free meals and free health care –

June 21, 2011 at 21:41 | Report abuse |
    • mcv57

Not so in every State. Some State actually make you paid room/ cell and board through forced labor, other just simply bill you.

In the long run, being a Convict is a label that you must live with for the rest of your life – this society does not like employing Convicts.

June 21, 2011 at 21:57 | Report abuse |
    • Sagebrush Shorty.

But the prison's health care system is better than most.

June 21, 2011 at 22:18 | Report abuse |
  13. RWR is the AC

Only in America...where the greedy get more greedy. Republican healthcare...isn't it great? "Don't get sick. And, if you do...die quickly" Going to prison or divorcing are the only ways to get healthcare in this "fixed economy" of part time, no-healthcare jobs! Nice...really nice.

June 21, 2011 at 20:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Dumbfounded

June 21, 2011 at 20:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Johnny

Thank you, someone who gets it.

June 21, 2011 at 20:13 | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Well, well I'm pretty sure your patting yourself on the head feeling special. People do get sick, regardless of what the ate or did, hearts can fail, kidneys can faile, but no you, your perfect. So lets just throw them under a bus, and be quick about it too please.

June 21, 2011 at 20:23 | Report abuse |
    • Dumbfounded

No, Mark, I'm not throwing them under the bus. I get that people get sick, even living the healthiest life they can. I stated that I'm willing to pony up for that. It's the rest of the people who cause their own illnesses, accidents, etc that I'm really not feeling all that generous toward. Why should I have to pay for your hospitalization if you drink yourself into a coma? Or wipe out on your motorcycle while not wearing a helmet? That's what I object to. It's called personal responsibility, and this country definitely needs more of it. Get your hand out of my pocket and put it back in your own.

June 22, 2011 at 13:58 | Report abuse |
    • Kay

Out of curiosity, Dumbfounded...why do you think you can't take care of yourself *and* "do unto others" at the same time??? It's *not* an either/or situation unless you deliberately choose to make it one.

June 22, 2011 at 16:47 | Report abuse |
  15. mark

That sounds fine and dandy from a receiver's point of view. But consider how the government funds all that. When you were paying $12 to fill your tank, they were paying $40; when you purchased groceries for $20 they were paying $100+. They are taxed six times till Sunday compared to what you are used to.

If you like what you see there, be prepared to tell your politicians you are comfortable with getting taxed to the same level they are.

June 21, 2011 at 20:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carli

i would love to pay more in taxes if it meant that I didn't have to pay $900 a month for healthcare through my husbands job and still have to pay $20-$40 and $100 co-pays for everything! I guarantee that my taxes wouldn't go up by that much a month and I'd be saving money. Every canadian that I have ever spoken to loves their system...especially compared with ours. It's all propaganda over here and scare tactics to prevent americans from going toward universal health care. It is not all people who didn't go to college that don't have health insurance, some are dropped after they reach a certain age or they lose their jobs!

June 21, 2011 at 20:40 | Report abuse |
    • Disgusted

Canadians have been brainwashed by their socialist gov't to believe they're getting a good deal. Deep down they all feel very oppressed.

June 21, 2011 at 22:50 | Report abuse |
    • cindy

Oh, I'm so glad to know that you have such insights into the minds of others – and in other countries no less. Sir, you are quite the national treasure!

June 22, 2011 at 00:36 | Report abuse |
    • dm

Your statement would be true if you replace "Candians" with Americans...but your original comment only proves my point.

June 22, 2011 at 00:57 | Report abuse |
    • Brian

I'm Canadian, and you're wrong. You can keep your kool-aid, we'll stick to facts.

June 22, 2011 at 08:22 | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous

"Disgusted" – have you actually lived in Canada under the Canadian system? How obnoxious for you to say that Canadians are brainwashed if they like their system. I lived there for 21 years, and 15 here in the US (I am American). If you are generally healthy, the Cdn system is FAR SUPERIOR. In Canada, if you go to the emergency room they ask "what's wrong"; in the US if you go they will first ask "Do you have insurance / how will you be paying" – I think that is terrible.

On the other hand, if you have health problems, the Cdn system isn't the greatest, and the prompt access to good care in the American system is better. There is no perfect system but IMO the fact that in this country an illness can destroy you financially is unacceptable.

June 22, 2011 at 09:35 | Report abuse |
    • J.S.

Oh yes, that's right.... anyone who doesn't agree with you is brainwashed.

That's really your argument?

Every Canadian who has commented here prefers the Canadian system to the American system... and your response is that they must be brainwashed?

That is the most foolish argument I've ever heard.

June 22, 2011 at 09:52 | Report abuse |
    • carmie

I am Canadian I do not feel oppressed. Why would you even write that? We just believe health care is a right not a privlege. I know everyone will have their own opionion about this and I respect that. Just don't say statements that are false. We (Canadians) do not feel that way at all. We are just as free as you are. Only we are north 🙂

June 22, 2011 at 16:41 | Report abuse |
    • Vivek Chaudhary

If the Canadians love their system so much , why do they come to US for the treatment spending their own money? That beats me.

June 22, 2011 at 03:46 | Report abuse |
    • Sandra

They come down for ELECTIVE surgeries, so they don't have to be on a waiting list. Personally, if i have to wait 4 weeks to get a nose job, or a knee replacement so someone can have life saving chemotherapy, I'm all for it!

June 22, 2011 at 07:46 | Report abuse |
    • Barnacle Bill

You don't actually know any Canadians, do you?

June 22, 2011 at 08:02 | Report abuse |
    • Ucantalas

Because Canadians can actually afford it; they don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on every little problem.

June 22, 2011 at 08:22 | Report abuse |
    • Maude

Some people are flithy rich so they don't care, other's have private insurance and are covered where ever they get treatment. Our government plan will pay if you get treatment, in the USA, providing you have their consent. The bottom line is our universal healthcare is a way better system.
      Are a u health care insurance sales person Vivek? I expect more critical thinking from "Chaudharies" in future. Don't get clouded by your own special interest.

June 22, 2011 at 14:07 | Report abuse |
    • Karl

Amen. If someone would just start using "real world" examples of the Canadian/German,etc (Nationalized) style system instead of the typical RepubliFox propaganda, people would realize that for 99% of our heath care needs we would be covered equally as well as we are now. Sure you can point to some 1%er types of cases, but those are more of a general exception that could be found vice versa too.

June 22, 2011 at 08:44 | Report abuse |
    • Aeromechanic.

You pretty much said it all.

Thanks, too bad some of these other sheep won't listen to reason.

June 22, 2011 at 08:44 | Report abuse |
    • T Ciccone

Well said. I'm middle class and would support a modest tax increase to help solve this issue and reduce overall costs.

June 22, 2011 at 10:50 | Report abuse |
    • Lia

I agree. I would gladly pay more in taxes both for healthcare (which would probably be cheaper) and the comfort of knowing that if I lost my job/something terrible happened to me, that I'd be OK.

June 22, 2011 at 15:23 | Report abuse |
    • someVP

No, I pay the same for gas, groceries, and any other commodity you pay for. The only thing that costs more is my kid's private school and I'm not complaining.

June 22, 2011 at 09:32 | Report abuse |
    • Dawn

When you lose your job and heath care package and other benefits, and you become part of the high risk pool because you had a medical problem at some point in your life, you will be complaining. Even one visit to a chiropractor will put you in the high risk pool. If you take any medicine for a chronic condition (thyroid, heart, asthma...), you can forget about ever having a personal policy that covers you. The word "pre-existing" will follow you around no matter what coverage may be offered.

There is no empathy in this country. Many people don't care about the well being of others. As long as things are good for them, they favor lowering taxes and cutting benefits for people who are in desperate need, through no fault of their own. When something happens in their cozy little world, they expect to get help with their problems.

Sarah Palin is on record as favoring cutting funding for programs for the disabled. When she gave birth to a disabled child, she decided that if McCain/Palin won, she would be an advocate for the disabled.

If a vehicle crosses the double yellow line and hits your vehicle, your life will change in a moment. If you live, you might only be able to wiggle your nose. This could happen to any of us tomorrow.

I favor supporting programs for the less fortunate. If we stop invading countries, there will be enough money available to take care of problems here at home.

As for the man who robbed a bank for $1.00, I hope he gets the medical care he needs in Federal prison. God bless America!

June 22, 2011 at 16:14 | Report abuse |
    • Tomcatta2

And turnip truck did you just fall off of? You paid $12 to fill your tank? What year, 1984? The problem isn't fixing health care, the problem is people that think there is no problem... You don't have to fix it with taxes, you need to sit down and ask the hospitals and doctors exactly what makes things so expensive, and it's all centered around the people that DO have insurance that have many limitations to their health solutions, and the people that can't GET insuance simply because insurance companies CHOOSE to not cover them, and they go unchecked, they're a cartel, man! Listen to what most of America is saying, not the people who are just out to disagree with absolutely everything..........

June 22, 2011 at 10:12 | Report abuse |
    • Weed

You speak in logic and that's my kind of speak. It's all about greed man.

June 22, 2011 at 10:44 | Report abuse |
    • Weed2

Right on, man!

June 24, 2011 at 00:25 | Report abuse |
    • pablo

What are you talking about?
      I grew up in the states and just moved to Germany. Yes, gas is way more, but food is less money here. Rent is less here. I am willing to pay more now for gas and a TV knowing that my kids will have a world class education that wont set me back 30k per year. I will gladly pay higher tax to not die on the street should the worst happen and I cannot find work.
      As Winston Churchill said, " You can always count on Americans to do the right thing...once they have exhausted all other possibilities."

June 22, 2011 at 10:51 | Report abuse |
    • Larry

Wow, with all those taxes they must have an incredibly low standard of living. Wait, hmmm, nope looks like they are right there with us...

June 22, 2011 at 11:22 | Report abuse |
    • Flick

...and yet with all of these taxes being paid, how do my friends who do so still afford to own beautiful homes, remodel them at whim, take lovely vacations, have children, take time off from their jobs to care for them...it's all about priorities and setting up a government that will work for YOU. The government can be a mitigator of unchecked self-serving capitalism. I find that sort of life refreshing and oh-so-appealing.

June 22, 2011 at 11:43 | Report abuse |
    • Kay

Who is this "they" you keep referring to? Politicians? Who you oddly claim get taxed 6 times more than other people? What on earth are you talking about? You apparently are utterly clueless about taxes.

June 22, 2011 at 16:15 | Report abuse |
    • Nikki

I wouldn't mind being taxed more if it meant I knew my children would be healthy and gauranteed and education.

June 23, 2011 at 12:49 | Report abuse |
    • Chris M

Actually Mark, if you add up the Federal tax, State tax, Sales Tax, Property Tax, Social Security contribution, unemployment insurance, FICA, medical insurance, medical bills (deductibles), college tuition, etc, Americans are paying 15-20% higher taxes than Germans and getting much less for our dollar. Yes we have cheaper chemical filled genetically modified food and big fuel inefficient cars in lieu of decent public transportation, and cheaper jeans to fit our over inflated saturated-fat TV brain washed big butts into, but so what? Our standard of living if lower, despite the fact that we work longer hours. So, although I don't think Obama did a particularly bad job, I do think politicians and a corrupt political system in general (one that allows big pharma and big insurance to buy out politicians in exchange for campaign contributions) are to blame. They have not only managed to make America (the home of everything that's good and decent in this world, of hardest working and most modest people in the world) hated world wide, but also squandered our prosperity in the process. So something needs to be done and a fair flat tax across the board, as well as campaign spending caps and barring corporations, unions and anyone else except for private individuals from contributing to political campaigns (and even then limiting those contributions to a max of $ 2,500 per person per year) would be a good start.

June 28, 2011 at 13:05 | Report abuse |
  16. BackDraft

I am a high school teacher, and I went to college for 5 years to make $35,000 as a third-year teacher. Oh, I'm also getting my Masters right now, because it's required. I worked my a$$ off to be something with myself. To help educate our children, because they will be taking care of us in 10+ years. I have full health care benefits. I pay a little each month, and have a $10 co-pay for anything; doctors visits, ect...surgeries are free. I have good benefits because I did something with my life.

Quit complaining. Go back to school, take out loans, and do something with yourself so you can have good benefits and a good retirement like most people in this country. Or, you can sit here and complain about your benefits because you decided not to go to college and do something with your life.

I don't buy the whole, "I wasn't fortunate enough to go to college...my parents were poor". So were mine. I took out loans, which I am still paying back. I could have tried to live "off the system", but I DECIDED not to do that.

Grow up, get a life, and be something.

June 21, 2011 at 20:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • gma0161

I did a similar thing and am still paying off student loans. I don't begrudge others that need things because they are worse off then I am. I work with people who honestly don't have the opportunity to further their education. It is easy to sit where you are and think people know how to get loans to go to college that isn't true. It is ignorant of you to think that especially when you are a teacher. Those of us who have been educated forgot sometimes that we are educated and tend to think others that aren't have the same knowledge base as we do. Again ignorant.

June 21, 2011 at 20:34 | Report abuse |
    • mcv57

Sounds like you need a good shot of humility. Try selling your story to the Teachers in Wisconsin.

June 21, 2011 at 20:35 | Report abuse |
    • Carli

please let me know what school system you teach in so I can ensure that my child never, ever has you for a teacher that lacks any empathy or compassion for others!

June 21, 2011 at 20:42 | Report abuse |
    • Tim

Or NJ for that matter, where teachers have been robbed of their pensions, raises, and benefits. New teachers can't even get hired with Masters degrees or doctorates because the school districts can't afford to pay the salaries.

June 21, 2011 at 20:46 | Report abuse |
    • Lighttraveler

Sounds like your doing the same things as he to get someone else to pay for your dreams & log term health care, your just a little more patient

June 21, 2011 at 21:03 | Report abuse |
    • KW

I am a therapist with a Master's degree. I paid my way through college. I am working full time. My husband paid his way through college and runs his own business. We pay over $400 a month for BCBS insurance that has a copay so high that we have never met it. Everything is out of pocket. Both of our sons have congenital heart defects that require regular monitoring. Each visit costs us $1400 out of pocket on top of our premiums. By the way the insurance only pays for 2 specialist visits a year, and by pays for I mean puts the cost towards the deductible. Also, the medications we need go towards a separate deductible. We will never meet the deductible. Also, this great plan does not cover mental health issues, OT, PT or speech. I hope none of us ever has a stroke or a torn ACL because we cannot afford the cost of rehab. And when we are ill or injured and bankrupt we will not be able to afford mental health care to cope with the situation.
      I am sick of people that lack empathy and are ignorant of reality.

June 21, 2011 at 21:32 | Report abuse |
    • John Kelly

Wait to you get laid off too – it is coming from friend. Assesing the situation looking down at people is so Un-American. Wait to you are on the bottom looking up. I have a Master's degree and I was laid off from a Large Corporate giant as were 15,000 of my co-workers. What about that. So wake up from your fantasy if you think that in the country with the Worst Public Education System in the Developed World your job is safe.

June 21, 2011 at 21:45 | Report abuse |
    • mcv57

Sounds like you lack an education, Lightraveler. You are already paying for it – it's called Medicare and Medicaid.

June 21, 2011 at 21:51 | Report abuse |
    • David55

The majority of jobs no longer give benefits. and the nations largest employer, walmart, doesnt provide insurance for anyone working there. Your advice is helpful to the individual, but in no way helps the country as a whole. Not everyone can get a good job, because those jobs only exist thanks to the menial jobs beneath them.

June 21, 2011 at 22:11 | Report abuse |
    • motherof3

How about I was fortunate enough to stay home for the last 10 years while raising my children. My husband is active duty navy. I have taken out nearly $50,000 to go to school to further my education to be told that my degree over-qualifies me for jobs, while my lack of experience makes me unqualified for jobs. I have 5 classes left to finish my Masters of Science in Criminal Justice, with two separate concentrations one in Critical Incident Management and the other in research. I attempted to get a job earlier this year but was promptly told that I would spend almost anything I would make in daycare at the on base child development center because they are going to charge me what they charge a Commander for daycare since I couldn't make guarantee how much money I would be able to make. Trying to go out into town would only cost me more. So explain to me how I have helped myself by putting myself into debt, busting my butt for a degree that should take me places, only to get told, under qualified, over qualified or we can get interns to do that for free.

June 21, 2011 at 22:13 | Report abuse |
    • Fufu

Well said my friend. I'm sick of the excuses too.

June 21, 2011 at 23:01 | Report abuse |
  17. Margo Zargo

I was recently in the UK and my husband has an accident. We had to wait 1 hour for the ambulance to arrive. The doctor in the emergency room didn't even have a chair to sit on, so he was sitting on the floor. This what you'll get with socialized medicine. The doctor was great, but should he really have to put up with that kind of treatment. If so, who would want to be a doctor. Also, if someone was having a heart attach or a stroke they would be dead, or have permanent brain damage, by the time they arrived at the emergency room. Our hospitals in the USA have a lot of options for charity cases, and this dim witted guy obviously never looked in to any of them or even thought about getting Medicaid. His story is very dubious because he said that after he received medical care that he was going to retire to a condo in Myrtle Beach, sounds like he really could have paid for some type of medical insurance. He appears to mentally unstable or on drugs. IMHO

June 21, 2011 at 20:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pat

What European country did you go to, Ukraine?

June 21, 2011 at 20:36 | Report abuse |
    • Kay

Did you think to stand up and let the doctor use the chair *you* were sitting on? (After all, you didn't say there weren't any chairs...just that there wasn't a chair for the *doctor* to sit on.)

June 22, 2011 at 16:53 | Report abuse |
  18. Interplexer

This stuff is funny! ..........Free healthcare!? I'll Buy That For a Dollar!!!! LOL !

June 21, 2011 at 20:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mcv57

You alright are paying for it (if you have a legitimate job) ... its called Medicare, Medicaid!

June 21, 2011 at 20:27 | Report abuse |
    • mcv57

already. Must be getting tired.

June 21, 2011 at 20:29 | Report abuse |
  19. Gary

A follow-up here for all ill-informed Americans about Canada. No banks failed here. No need for bail-outs here. No housing or mortgage crises here. Unemployment did spike but is now down well below the US. Until Canada was affected by external influences in the global recesssion, our national debt was being paid down every year and we had an annual budget surplus for several years. Each year Canada ranks in the top five in all global reports on quality of life, usually right below the Low and Scandinavian countries and always ahead of the US. Our taxes are higher than your taxes but for good reason. Our lifespan is longer. Our education system is strong. We do have problems: poverty is too high especially among our native peoples; infrastructure needs upgrading; more social housing is needed, etc. The biggest difference is our universal health care. We do have longer wait times for some procedures but we are all covered. The key fact here is that all preventative and post-care is covered so no one in Canada has to budget for a mammogram or a heart test or a colonoscopy or for follow-up recovery care by re-using catheters, etc. Canada is far from ideal. We do not have the burden of policing the world but, for the most part, we look after our own people first.

June 21, 2011 at 20:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Johnny

If it's so great, how come there aren't thousand of illegal immigrants storming YOUR border??

June 21, 2011 at 20:49 | Report abuse |
    • op

because the only "poor" country they have next to them is America.... seriously man, look at your map.

Canada doesn't have a cheap labor country like mexico, haiti, and cuba south of it's border.

June 21, 2011 at 20:55 | Report abuse |
    • concerned citizebn

How does one become a Canadian Citizen? I want to become a citizen of a compassionate country.

June 21, 2011 at 21:09 | Report abuse |
    • Deborah Jean

I always wondered about universal heath care. Do you get the chance to choose your doctors and are they easy going with you in regards to requesting second opinions from specialty doctors?

June 21, 2011 at 22:06 | Report abuse |
  20. Joanne

II pay almost $400/mth for mediocre health insurance and I WORK in the dudgum healthcare industry! This country is farking BS. I feel really sorry for folks who do not have jobs and become ill.
    IUniversal Health Care is the way to go with how the country is today and the globalization of everything.

June 21, 2011 at 20:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Bill

There are hundreds of thousands of people like this man who have no health insurance and have medical problems. This is a person the Republicans could care less about and is why we need universal health insurance. Very sad.

June 21, 2011 at 20:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • BeefJerky

I am not a "Republican", I am Independent, but here is the issue. Our government screws up everything that it touches. If I thought they could run a health care system, I would be all for it. I want people to have health care. I'd even pay a little more in taxes for it to happen. However, it will probably get even worse if the government runs it, akin to social security that is completely broke. Unfortunately our government in the US does not earn their paychecks. They stink, both Republicans and Democrats, they are lousy, no good, politicians, who are incapable of doing anything.

June 21, 2011 at 20:50 | Report abuse |
  22. Carli

When you think that you should take care of only your own, that it what you are going to get....a nation of people that only care about their own family....this is soo ridiculous. Do not call yourself a Christian if you believe this, because that is the exact opposite of what is in the Bible. I used to think that way, and now I can see that helping others as much as possible even when I may not think they deserve it has created more blessings in my life then i could ever count! Try it sometime...you will always be repayed. You reap what you sow

June 21, 2011 at 20:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. ihantotta

Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. If some of the big-mouthed Christians were a little more holy and a lot less 'than thou' maybe we wouldn't even need doctors.

June 21, 2011 at 20:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • BeefJerky

I think you have a holy in your head.

June 21, 2011 at 20:44 | Report abuse |
  24. TN Girl

I think it is a crying shame that we cannot take care of our own, but we will gladly give anyone that is here illegally, free health care. They don't pay taxes, never did, but yet we will take care of them. My husband has a wonderful idea: move to Mexico, become a citizen there, then move back and get all kinds of free goodies!!!

June 21, 2011 at 20:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mcv57

Blame the current liberal political environment.

Another purifying element of the Great Depression was protectionism ... in the 1930s, Mexico and neighboring U.S. State placed a wall to outside migrants and immigrants. Slavery and employment exploitation was wide-spread and overlooked. JP Morgan, himself, attempted to structure a "controlled labor" community.

June 21, 2011 at 20:51 | Report abuse |
    • John Kelly

Dear TN
      In countries like Mexico becoming a Citizen is tough to impossible No. 1. Foreigners know that if you notice there is never Protests by Illegal aliens there demanding rights. If you are not born there you have no rights and get deported. Mexico deports more Illegal immigrants than any other country in the Hemisphere – so while your theory is cool – it would not work. I have a solution – Move to Cuba – marry a Cuban and then come back to the US via the Atlantic Coast – step on American Soil and in exactily 366 days – you get full Medicare/ Medicaid and Food Stamps. How is that – Even our immigration policy is screwed up as one Nationality get Preferential Treatment at our borders.

June 21, 2011 at 21:56 | Report abuse |
    • mcv57

Again Mr. Kelly, you appear to be a creature of less intelligence. 1. American citizens have no access to Cuba, and only wealthy Mexicans can afford access to Cuba. 2. Its cheaper for a Mexican to sneak into America and marry (purchase a license) than to go to Cuba.

June 21, 2011 at 22:05 | Report abuse |
  25. BeefJerky

The guy failed and still has no health care. Don't you know that you have to do something really wrong to get health care? Kick it up a notch next time.

June 21, 2011 at 20:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. oldsoldierboy

A person has the right to life after they are born. Therefore healthcare is a right. That is why people are seen at the ER who don't have insurance. I don't know if this guy had to do this to get healthcare but usually people without insurance are in and out the door a lot quicker than those with insurance.

June 21, 2011 at 20:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • hankers

"usually people without insurance are in and out the door a lot quicker than those with insurance." ... likely because they did not receive proper treatment. If you are saying they are receiving preferential treatment, then I say BS.

June 21, 2011 at 21:59 | Report abuse |
  27. Lighttraveler

Flawed Health Care in America.
    Patients lie to Doctors & insurance companies to get care
    Doctors lie to patients & insurance companies to get paid
    Insurance companies lie to patients & doctors to increase profits
    Larceny is the logical next step
    Next will be legalized euthanasia, OH Wait...

June 21, 2011 at 20:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mcv57

Watch-out for what you wish for – euthanasia. A Star Trek episode production had conceived this ideal society – another world had instill a culture to euthanize citizen at age 60 due to economic (limit the handicap, unproductive, and resource problem of its aging citizens), and philosophic reasoning.

June 21, 2011 at 21:46 | Report abuse |
    • mcv57

June 21, 2011 at 21:50 | Report abuse |
  28. Ally

Count me as one who could afford health insurance but cannot find a single insurance company to accept me. Not overweight, no bad habits, don't smoke, etc, but because of a pre-existing condition from 5 years ago, no one will accept me. The health industry in this country is beyond broken. I can even afford to pay for it! I just need someone to accept me!!

June 21, 2011 at 20:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John Kelly

Smart m oves – Move to Canada or Europe – it sounds drastic but you will not come back.

June 21, 2011 at 21:57 | Report abuse |
  29. tony channing

Obamacare????

June 21, 2011 at 20:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Beth

I have been reading through alot of these comments, a couple of years ago my husband paid out 575$ per month to have coverage through his work. My son got really sick and was put in ICU for a week after medical covered some we ended up paying out of pocket 22,000.00! Needless to say we had to file Bankruptcy! What kind of country do we live in where I have to claim Bankruptcy to save my childs life!

June 21, 2011 at 20:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Alison

Exactly the situation I refer to constantly. This happens way too often and has happened to me as well. Something needs to change before more people take drastic measures like the man this story is about.

June 22, 2011 at 12:33 | Report abuse |
  31. wonda bred

I am 59 yrs.old. I have worked hard my whole life. I support my family and find time to help others. I have always accepted the fact that I was not going to be a millionaire. Pay my taxes, take a vacation every year, maybe take my clothes to the drycleaner once in awhile. My health insurance recently balooned to $700.00/month for no apparant reason. I was forced to make a decision. Health care or sending my step son to college. I chose the latter. I was recently diagnosed with a rare sarcoma cancer on my leg. All doctors I have talked to will not touch me unless payment is recieved. I have accepted the fact that I will die in lieu of my son getting an education. The greatest country in the world??? I don`t think so. And the Republicans blame Obama for creating so called death panels? Well...my sentance is death.

June 21, 2011 at 21:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fufu

That is really awfully kind of you but I think you need to get your cranium checked too. The great thing about this country is that if you don't make a lot of money the government will pay your child's tuition. I'm ok with this because it increases the odds that your step son will be a contributor instead of a leech. If you make too much money your step son can always barrow at next to nothing interest rates to pay for tuition and work from room and board. Maybe you can even help him out a little here and their. Seriously dude, 59 is too young. Do you think he want's his step dad or 15-20K in student loans?

June 21, 2011 at 23:30 | Report abuse |
  32. michael smith

This is what America's come to. I too have every intention of sticking America for my healthcare. Is SICK that we've come to this. One way or another, Americans are just going to have to understand that health care is a national emergency. We've 20 million Americans in jail right now, do the math.

M.

June 21, 2011 at 21:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Eric S.

"I don't believe the scriptures say to give your money to the gov't and let them decide how to spend it to help people."

Well my answer to that is.. Jesus preached... give unto Ceasars... what is Ceasars.. as in "taxes".

I'm a Republican and Christian and we seriously need to fix our health care system. It should be a national embarrassment frankly. We need to copy the German model and then things will be good. Not to social like Canada and UK's NHS, but with Gov. oversight, but FREE MARKET as well. It's the perfect Hybrid that both sides politically should be able to agree with... and secondly... its proven to work. The amount of money we blow over seas is enough to pay for everyone who dosen't have health insurance to have it. Also put caps on Insurance Companies and tighten down on them. Obviously a FOR-PROFIT insurance company ISN'T looking out for your health. It's actually pretty pathetic it is a profit thing. I think all insurance companies should be NON-PROFIT.

June 21, 2011 at 21:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lou

Well said, health care should be non profit. Everyone should have the right to good health. However, those people that lead reckless lifestyles should obviously be responsible for their own insurance costs. Like I pointed out earlier people that smoke, or drink, or engage in poor eating habits should have a higher tax on those items to help offset some of the costs they incur later in life.

June 21, 2011 at 21:13 | Report abuse |
  34. michael smith

I agree with Carli – I too would gladly pay more in taxes if I got SOMETHING for it! But, no, in America you pay and pay and pay and get what? NOTHING.

What a totally FUC*#D country.

Pathetic.

June 21, 2011 at 21:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Linda

I gave serious thought to doing the same thing myself. Its BS that prisoners, welfare bums and all the slackers on SS for fake disability get free medical care while people who have worked all their lives and through no fault of their own can't afford medical care. (I'm not talking about people who really need help, I'm referring to the bums who are just looking for a free ride, work on the side for cash and have money for cigarettes and beer instead of paying their bills) My husband worked for 30 years at Chrysler and than had the majority of his benefits taken away when he retired. I have major medical, eye and dental issues that are putting us further and further into debt. Luckily he qualifies for VA health care or we would have probably lost our house by now.

June 21, 2011 at 21:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Solution

This "punished" by Coca-cola @56yrs (they fired him) has another solution: go to California, learn couple of spanish words and go to to closest government building and tell them he is ILLEGAL Latino immigrant. Then he will get everything he need.

June 21, 2011 at 21:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. OP

Is that charles manson?

I didn't know they released him.... and now he robs a banks for a buck?

June 21, 2011 at 21:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Mike

Gotta love it... people here who aren't religious attempting to use Christianity to justify universal healthcare. Love how you bash it unless it serves your agenda.

June 21, 2011 at 21:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Payer

I like paying for my own insurance. It gives me more leverage in my health care. If someone else pays it, then who will have the leverage?

June 21, 2011 at 21:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Beer3

What a dumb piece of sh?t he should of started pan handlin on da street

June 21, 2011 at 21:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. brown

Keep on re-electing them! Fools.

June 21, 2011 at 21:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. owenofoaktown

interesting discussion – even the flames and the wildly OTT comments.

I am a contractor who has run his own business for about 10 years. I have no health insurance because i cannot afford it any longer since the downturn/Great Recession. I also have experience working in primary care settings in major metro areas and know several hundred medical professionals. I have observed care in both private and county-funded hospitals in California. The general consensus is that the health care insurance system has been breaking apart for some time and is now effecting "normall" insured persons who do not realize that having INSURANCE is not the same as having COVERAGE. Time after time we have seen people get medical treatmen,t believing they got the best care, when in reality procedures and treatments better for their condition were NOT provided because of insurance restrictions. At present the best one can say is that the insurer stands between the physician and the patient in an interference role. Heaven help you if you get a chronic issue like cancer or HIV, for those folks, even those with "good" insurance gallop like mad to schedule treatments based on insurance schedules, not according to best treatment paradigms, due largely to annual payout limits. Those who hold "good" insurance who are afraid of losing what they have during hard times are destined to lose what they have anyway; market forces are driving this inevitability. There is no good solution beyond something approximating single payer, because somebody has to pay and we all wind up paying no matter what anyway. Health care is not and never will be entirely free for anybody. However, no one should wander into a clinic with a gunshot wound and have treatment delayed while payment issues get worked out (seen it happen). My main dentist is so sick of the System, he no longer accepts insurance of any kind. You can expect more of that sort of thing cropping up elsewhere. People, left and Right, you all need to realize your own needs will be better served by eliminating the vast bureaucracy that gets in the way of providing care. The only difference between what the Right-wingers fear and the anxiety of the milktoast "left" in this country is that the present bureaucracy is controlled by private corporations. I have done contracts for those people and believe me, I know. They most certainly are not looking out for you and your family's welfare.

June 21, 2011 at 21:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • obamayakyak

And think of the millions on food stamps in this country. Its time to nationalize all farms, food packers, and grocery stores. No one should be able to profit from hunger. End the private ownership of food production and distribution. Totally.

June 21, 2011 at 21:50 | Report abuse |
  43. John Kelly

Did you know that in every country in Europe where Socialized Medicine is the norm – Their citizens enjoy a better standard of living, live longer, have a lower infant mortality rate and do not go BANKRUPT because of their heatlh care. My best advice – Try to move to Europe and see the huge difference Socialized Medicine and Higher Education make.
    The problem in this country is that the citizenry is no longer running the Political Game – it is rather the large Corporations and their millions spent on Lobbying to make higher profits.

June 21, 2011 at 21:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • obamayakyak

Simply not true Carli. And have you seen the rotting teeth of most Europeans ?

June 21, 2011 at 21:52 | Report abuse |
    • Sandra

to obamayakyak The European countries don't provide orthodontics, but they do provide cleaning, drills and fills. And only the wealthy in the US can afford a health care policy that does provide orthodontics (braces) or can afford to pay for it out of pocket.

June 22, 2011 at 07:48 | Report abuse |
  44. obamayakyak

So how much of my income do you Obamists want ? Should I just have my entire pay check deposited in the Bank Of Barry and then let HIM decide how much to send me every month n?

June 21, 2011 at 21:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Bruce

What our local jail does is send sick prisoners to the hospital and "release" them from custody so as not to be legally or financially responsible for their medical care. When the prisoner/patient is released from the hospital, they get re-arrested. It's a scam that sticks the hospital with the costs, but clearly the sheriff has no budget to cover them, so hospitals just have to pass the costs to everyone else.

There are many examples like this in our country to show that we actually DO pay for univeral health care in various hidden costs, more then twice per person what other first-world countries pay - we just aren't getting it because of the short-sighted greed and stupidity that has private insurance companies taking a third of all the health care money.

June 21, 2011 at 21:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Grumpy

Reading these comments I see so many people think Obamacare is the answer. Obamacare would not help this man. The new health care law does not provide insurance to anyone, it is simply a law that requires you to purchase insurance coverage, if you can't afford it then you dont have it. The health care law does NOT help you pay the monthly premium, you pay the full cost, when you file your taxes you will get a tax credit to reimburse you some of what you paid.

June 21, 2011 at 21:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Sarah Wright

Muslims willing to fund health care for sick and needy people (and those destined to become so) far better exemplify the teachings of Jesus than do Christians who refuse to do the same.

June 21, 2011 at 21:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • obamayakyak

Muslims get a certain pleasure in lopping off the heads of infidels, but I don't think we should be doing that. Charity is not charity went money is taken by force from one group and given to another group, while the receiving group turns around and votes for the Obamists who do the forcing. Christianity as much as anything speaks to self reliance, something you Obamists totally and absolutely hate.

June 21, 2011 at 22:02 | Report abuse |
  48. obamayakyak

Many of you folks want to turn over your healthcare to the Washington cesspool. What have they done in the last 50 years that would give you confidence in their ability to do anything ? And don't blame the insurance companies all together for the healthcare mess. They are so regulated and cowed by the Progressives currently in power In Washington that they are forced to screw us over to keep the Obamists happy. Obama doesn't give a rat's rear about our health. He just wants our income to pay off whoever he can to maintain power. Once he gains firm control of the medical system the rationing will accelerate.

June 21, 2011 at 21:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dan, TX

You do know that Republicans intentionally do their best to make sure government programs are inefficient and work poorly so they can prove to voters that government doesn't work, right? Republicans have blocked the appointment of competent people in favor of incompetent people to important positions, right? Look at how many Obama nominees have been blocked by the republicans for no reason, other than that the nominees would do a good job. The block the a Nobel Prize winning economist because they said he didn't know enough about economics!

June 21, 2011 at 22:01 | Report abuse |
  49. Deborah Jean

-Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go [and] sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come [and] follow me. – Matthew 19:21

America should be ashamed. No one should ever have to rob a bank just to get health care.
    Then you have to take into consideration how much these doctors charge. I can sit in a doctor's office waiting for 45 minutes for what would be a five minute appointment, and that appointment will cost me well over $100. What did the doctor do? Nothing but ask questions about my symptoms and hand me a prescription. Not a single test, nothing.

June 21, 2011 at 21:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. msalabama

Wow he need a mental hospital and thats a waste of taxs payers money. All he had to do is sign up for his social sercuity wow

June 21, 2011 at 22:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Alison

Yeah because Social Security is just some miracle you can just sign up for. Furthermore, how much do you think people get on SSI? You can't live off of that money alone, especially if you have any type of medical problem.

June 22, 2011 at 12:24 | Report abuse |