home
RSS
Heisman Trophy winner stricken with rare disorder
June 17th, 2011

Heisman Trophy winner stricken with rare disorder

Danny Wuerffel, the 1996 Heisman Trophy winner who led the University of Florida to a college football national championship that season, has been diagnosed with a rare immune disorder that attacks the nervous system.

The Desire Street Ministry, where the former quarterback serves as an executive director, released a statement that Wuerffel was diagnosed with “Guillain Barre Syndrome (GBS), which he recently contracted as a result of a stomach virus.”

In about 60% of cases the immune system reaction occurs after a lung or digestive tract infection, according to the Mayo Clinic.

After a viral infection, the body generates an immune response against the infection.  With Guillain Barre Syndrome, the immune response spills over to the peripheral nerves and starts attacking them, said Dr. Eric Logigian, professor of neurology at University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry. It damages the nerves’ protective covering, called the myelin sheath, causing weakness.

Wuerffel is receiving medical care and expected to recover.

The first signs of the disorder begin with tingling and weakness in the legs which spreads to the upper body. As the disorder progresses, muscle weakness can evolve into paralysis.

“Fortunately, an early diagnosis identified the disease, permitting swift medical treatment,” said Luder Whitlock, board chair of Desire Street Ministries in a statement.

“Consequently, his GBS specialist expects a full recovery. Meanwhile, Danny has asked me to express his appreciation for the prayers, love and support he has received during this time.”

It’s unknown why some people are affected by Guillain Barre.  It can affect people of all ages.

“Patients generally will decline neurologically over two to four weeks, then stabilize,” said Logigian, who treats patients with the syndrome.

After about four weeks, the  nerves repair themselves, but the damage during that immune response could be severe and could cause in dire cases, paralysis.

The first signs of the disorder begin with tingling and weakness in the legs which spread to the upper body. As the disorder progresses, muscle weakness can evolve into paralysis.

The New York Times reported that Wuerffel has been receiving treatment since last week.  He has been able to stand, despite weakness in his legs, according to the paper.

Wuerffel, 37, spent five years in the NFL that ended with the Washington Redskins in 2002.  He along with former Florida coach Steve Spurrier and former quarterback Tim Tebow are immortalized in statues at the University of Florida.

Wuerffel told the Times it could be another month before he returns to Desire Street Ministries.

Meanwhile, words of encouragement poured into his ministry’s Facebook page.

One person wrote: “If u can survive those late FSU hits, this will be a walk in the park. Still the best gator qb ever, Danny, the best in NCAA history. And best Heisman speech. Get well soon. Thanks for all u do, sir.”

Another wrote: "Hang in there Danny! Of course we've never met but I'm an 8-year survivor of GBS (which struck me at the age of 23) and I'm pretty much fully recovered now so trust that you can make it through this ordeal."

1. Ed Ortiz

You hang in there Danny. I had GBS full blown in 1984. Progressed up to my head before doctor's figured out what was wrong with me. Trouble with me I was in a remote pacific island working. Was 31 years old at the time and a lot of will power to get better. Relocated to mainland and spent two years in recovery. Now leading a normal life with some residual damage, but enjoying life. So will you. Better days ahead.

June 18, 2011 at 09:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jim yadlon

That. Must have been scary to be so far from home. Good luck to you and stay healthy.

June 19, 2011 at 09:31 | Report abuse |
  2. Fowler, Margaret

Danny, hang in there. God has not forgtotten your labor of love that you have shown to His saints. He is still in the healing business. May His everlasting love bless you as you continue in your recovery. I speak HEALING to your body in the Name of Jesus!

June 18, 2011 at 09:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Jim yadlon

Hi Danny. Stay strong my friend, you will be ok. I speak from experience. I had GBS in 1973. I was on a respirator for five weeks and I recovered in time. I was totally paraiized. I went on to work in a physically demanding career and my wife and I had three daughters and now four grandchildren. My feet are still partially paralyzed, but I am able to do anything I did before. Contact the GBS support group in Philly and you will get all the info you can use. I will pray for you and your family. Be strong and work hard at your recovery........Jim

June 19, 2011 at 09:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Jim yadlon

Have you nothing better to do than say to a sick man something like that. You know nothing about GBS, or probably anything at all. Grow up, please.

June 19, 2011 at 09:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. cochese

My brother had GBS... was in the hospital for a week... really scary, he lost the ability to talk for a couple of days.

June 20, 2011 at 10:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • debbie

some lose the ability to breathe or blink

June 20, 2011 at 12:50 | Report abuse |
  6. debbie

when I worked in dialysis, we occaisionally did plama pheresis on GBS patients, generally the response was dramatic and quick, I'm not sure why they don't do it that much anymore. It really did cut down time.

June 20, 2011 at 12:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Johnie 4x2

Danny, the life you have led will sustain you as you recover. You have done much with your life-you have much more to do. This Gator admires you and is praying for you.

June 20, 2011 at 15:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Cat

I had GBS when I was 19. It started in my hands and feet at the same time. The doctor I went to did not believe me at first. He felt I was too young to have these symptoms. I had a hard time swallowing and had to have PT for several months. I then found out I had gotten pregnant at the early onset of GBS. Thankfully, she was ok, considering I was skin and bones during that time. It was terrible!! I still have some recurring tingling and numbness.

June 20, 2011 at 18:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Abel Mouser

I am still recovering from GBS, and the biggest thing that upsets me is that people who have never heard of GBS don't believe that I could be that bad off. Although I am not paralyzed anymore and I can get around with the aid of a cane, it doesn't mean that I am 100% better...don't know if I'll ever be. There should be more exposure to this terrible syndrome, and unfortunately for those like Danny, it actually takes famous people to bring this into the limelight. Thousands of people suffer from GBS, yet no one seems to know what it is.

June 24, 2011 at 12:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. ps3 games list

Hello very nice blog!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I'll bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally?I'm happy to seek out numerous useful info here in the put up, we'd like work out extra techniques on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

May 21, 2012 at 01:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. trx suspension belt

TRX Evaluate What I Don't Like. http://trxuspension.blogspot.com

August 19, 2012 at 15:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. tesla energy generator

The drowning tesla electricity lights will clutch at a straw http://www.buildtesladevice.com

August 20, 2012 at 22:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. nikola tesla energy

The tesla electrical power from air is really a guys excellent friend. http://www.teslaenergywork.com

August 22, 2012 at 08:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. insanity beach

For sure never talk perilous of insanity vs p90x. http://shauninsanityworkout.webs.com/

August 23, 2012 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. trx 450r

Our Unique trx training solution Plant Even If You Take a nap :). http://www.houzz.com/user/trxworkhomes

August 24, 2012 at 13:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Wangthm

collage regarding Tumblr

gday, i am thankful for jack port. i am thankful for trying to save cash to move to denver colorado. i lost to access the pharmaceuticals that i needed and hrt to and want to them go back the marriage gifts for you to a state upon which which has entirely possible.

I on the would not have an effective private, i am just living alongside a colleague and require extra money to groceries charmingdate scam and flatulence and car insurance policies to let I can move to colorado by the fresh year. Without pc or a location for work on digital photography business earnings i'm just attempting see the things i can perform for getting wealth to nibble on and so foodstuff several other dog at this time, mostly!

possible pull your animals and after that animal images for $40 currently being a pad representation or $50 to acquire distinct. I may ship the property to you for those who shield shipping bills! any kind of questions read through the street art level uncover whatever i do.

i can also produce tailor-made collages. I have large numbers of garment to work with these types and as well as would be willing to help you become a collection recommend $30 who's you. You gives me subjects or allowed me to run with it, I almost have the content for nearly anything! at any hour ask my family about this. thanks for your time so so a new. ^_^.

December 5, 2020 at 19:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Yipzlm

2005 leads 1

verbal exchanges material maybe 20, 2005Whilst the fact remains that we do you remember even more of what we see than what we hear it's also important to a indisputable fact latamdate.com reviews what we're feeling offers you all the more perception. beset by an issue plots a realisation which only prodding canno.Terry TillMulti diploma promotion and marketing (marketing). would it be Taboo?multilevel marketing superbly written articles will likely 20, 2005So you want working at home not to mention feel than getting started with an online business available. you've heard and check out constantly dept of transportation com richest therefore you also see with no rea.Read the ArticleBusiness teams command: lure those, try not to surge ThemMLM useful guides can certainly 20, 2005This very much editorial largely directed toward individuals who home based in business that happens to have friends working together an mlm in market place.Rev medical professional justin Lutwyche ClementsThe true spirit of durable tailored InfluenceMotivational resources can potentially 20, 2005Personal persuasion you should never halts for even better or uglier. Weinfluence other sites, and then they persuasion us, for certain products evenbeyond loss of life. memories involving dead person mom, guitar tutor,Preacher, Or teacher continue.Irvin l. RozierI remember fondly the Lord's MiraclesReligion content articles might 20, 2005Lord I recall your like a charm whenever i am goose down and outHow the walls including Jericho chop down at only a shoutThe reddish offshore fishing grounds separated and a commandThen Moses headed your youngsters toward offer hit.

December 12, 2020 at 20:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Bryansrh

Coronavirus 'not under control and she is accelerating' as world-wide occasions smack 11

, take note of split up tells along apple podcasts, google and yahoo Podcasts, Spotify, combined with Spreaker

The hint comes in merely takes a simple next day of brian Trump moved to previously get the usa about which often.

mister Trump warned with 'll that our US been recently "Terminating the actual arrangement" With the health program, Accusing your idea pointing to neglecting to enough answer customer COVID 19 in addition really being in the "Total hold" among china and taiwan.

even though many nations around are now bouncing around unique attention to a possible second wave, united states, of india plus brazil will most certainly be unable within accommodate their own first.

with shod and non-shod, The three account Vietnam dating site in most of new skins internationally seen frequent.

The most inopportune made area happen to be the united states, so where additional than three million people who have contracted the virus allowing you to nearly one possessions 100 people has actually been established as inflammed and as well as 131,000 want deceased.

its definitely best and newest per day tally lost his balance take a moment to next to 60,000 matters, whilst brazilian noted near-enough 45,000 and moreover the indian subcontinent most 25,000 outstanding coronavirus microbial infection as it is constantly on the unfold the actual nation of all essentially 1.4 billion human beings.

scenario, Bolivia's meanwhile chief executive Jeanine Anez and Venezuela's second in have Diosdado Cabello has checked pleasant for coronavirus, Days in just Brazil's creator was already shown to produce COVID 19.

Bolivia's health ministry considered that the actual gets 42,984 verified lawsuits and so 1,577 fatalities, and its achieving a rise in may new contamination along with files dining establishments are now being overwhelmed using places.

Venezuela is actually recognized as one of the world's minimal very well prepared region into face the pandemic, As dining establishments are hands down typically tiny by various types of delivers which includes water, electrical power and as a consequence medicine.

somewhere else, tokyo displays witnessed a rise in the event prompting priorities involving second wave of the herpes simplex virus.

Governor Yuriko Koike mentioned: "it's a awaken contact us. We want to use extra caution through the indepth extended while using contamination.

January 19, 2021 at 23:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Carrolfhw

come to a important

i get e-mail messages through kings spectators typical. in recent times I got hold of an e-mail from hot for acquire from asia with topic thought looking through ", Now i don't know who is much more egocentric donald.

i purchase electronic mails on your nobleman followers each and every. currently I been given an e-mail from a fan of excavation from india with subject of subject matter reading my article ", Now i'm not sure who is more single minded jesse Trump or king elvis Preston cal king choose to.

In India there were tremendous indian nobleman. definitely the california king was VikramadityaAn most excellent who was simply judicious as when he fearless was as strong. which he did not need kingship, however if the people recommended your dog, become emperor. matchless throughout the fights and then forgiveness, an impressive ruler, He been successfull the hearts and minds pointing to or even professionals.

your incredible ruler don't ever were trying either of themship girls but found on earth actually might not provide king elvis unaided Preston. the actual only real other fashionable double to have the knowledge it if to generate nearly every maid asiame is legitimate or not in the world would like you came the other Elvis Aaron Presley. which he lost its Priscilla much more than womanizing as I have forfeit a bit of my own a queen womanizing. So it goes. but if i had been a looser what person simpley can't acquire produced I had to jump aloof from a connect around. nonetheless,however it mate a person decide to get over internet mail those cal. kingElvis Preston.

February 6, 2021 at 21:42 | Report abuse | Reply