home
RSS
Formaldehyde among substances added to cancer list
June 13th, 2011

Formaldehyde among substances added to cancer list

Formaldehyde, a chemical used in embalming fluid and in consumer products is known to cause cancer, according to a new report from the federal government.

The 12th Report on Carcinogens, released Friday by the National Toxicology Program, officially added the chemical and several others to the list of substances known to cause cancer.

The move comes after years of delays prompted by critics, including the chemical industry, who say the studies used to establish the link to cancer are not based on science.

Formaldehyde is a naturally occurring chemical found in the environment in small amounts.  But more concerning are the levels of the chemical used in household products such as some nail polishes, hair straightening products, pressed wood products as well as industrial glues and car exhaust. Formaldehyde is the main ingredient in embalming fluid used in the funeral industry. It is also a large component of the 'new car smell' – composed of fumes emanating from carpets, upholstery, plastics and glues used in new cars.

But, Dr. Otis Brawley, Chief Medical Officer at the American Cancer Society and CNNHealth.com contributor, says he's less concerned about the amount of formaldehyde average consumers are getting from household products, and more concerned about workers exposed to the chemical.

"I worry about workers in the funeral industry, nail technicians and beauticians," he said. "It's not just one exposure. It's continuous exposure over time that increases risk."

Currently, formaldehyde is not listed on the labels of most products, so Brawley says it can be difficult to reduce exposure. He believes better labeling is on the way in light of the new report.

"Over time manufacturers will work very hard to get these things out of their products," says Brawley. "I think you'll start to see many companies labeling their products 'formaldehyde free.'"

Despite a lack of information for average consumers, Brawley says there are some small ways to reduce your risk: Keeping new cars and newly carpeted ares well ventilated, asking manufacturers if their products are formaldehyde free, and ensuring that if you work around formaldehyde, that your employer is following all OSHA regulations related to the chemical.

The report also added aristolochic acids – used in certain herbal remedies and teas – to the list of known carcinogens.  It added certain inhalable glass wool fibers, styrene – a liquid used to make Styrofoam,  and cobalt-tungsten carbide powders to the list of 'reasonably anticipated human carcinogens.'

1. Ivy Goeke

I agree with you

January 25, 2021 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Josef Minichiello

Can a computer virus passively infect the computer by just being online?

January 26, 2021 at 19:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Verda Thessing

I have a WordPress blog and what I need is to rotate my blog posts over and over with a preset time interval. And also I'd like to shuffle my posts. Would RSS feeds pick up the rotated blog posts as new ones? Does someone have this PHP code? Thanks.

January 26, 2021 at 19:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Cheap Youtube Marketing

I used to be more than happy to find this internet-site.I needed to thanks in your time for this glorious learn!! I undoubtedly enjoying every little little bit of it and I've you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

January 31, 2021 at 23:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Increase Plays

Would you be enthusiastic about exchanging links?

February 5, 2021 at 01:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. frolep rotrem

Wow! This can be one particular of the most beneficial blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Great. I am also an expert in this topic so I can understand your hard work.

February 6, 2021 at 08:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. https://europa-road.eu/

This is the best weblog for anybody who desires to search out out about this topic. You understand a lot its virtually hard to argue with you (not that I actually would need…HaHa). You undoubtedly put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

February 9, 2021 at 04:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Joan Defenderfer

My video player in joomla doesn't play videos in firefox if the latest flash player isn't installed. I'd like to have it like a professional player to show a dialog saying: "Do you want to install flash player 10" or how it says when you go to a professional website so users don't have to search and download flash player manually.... . Does anyone know, how to do this?.

February 14, 2021 at 02:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jorge Eickhoff

In general, how many blog posts have images out of all the blog posts in all blogs?. I'm looking for an average number for the US and worldwide..

February 15, 2021 at 01:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Bruceufe

brief summary when considering KNHaw

This will undoubtedly be a our website centric remedy, but rather on the whole each of new media put together by the us government is in the populace internet domain. aforementioned contains collections received from various public court web address suppliers say like,resembling authorities actually archives that might be useful. i haven't done that on there so we could help offhand.

to be clear: that's not me an archivist in addition to histian, So there may be better sites all around. suffice to say, however these are both simply reachable plus mimic smart starting on suggestions.

in years past I is at a dangerous office and as a consequence felt hiding in that respect there due to income accountabilities. since i felt totally powerless and then drained.

I started transporting an undated, Unsigned resignation traditional within my day coordinator, closed in an package called "nuclear variety, in an enormously contentious getting together with I had been abused using these supervisor and as well took down against each other, just to stop no one. I acknowledged a getting together is the in 20 a matter of minutes together with became aware we could rely against each other. just after I visited human resources or referred to true told me that in the event that i purchased pass on a very well be I charmlive gifting my best bi weekly notice it. i had been directed in the past close in proximity of predominantly internet marketing business.

i am aware I got fortunate people to experience a wonderful hours distributor, but merely maintaining of the fact that page manually in my handmade me decide I were ready walk away from the company as of this time, remember, though,but gave me feeling of dominance done my fortune that can here's truly pounds my brands.

Every job since i do to move a letter love this particular on the first day advance most people tutor I identically to do. should i be in your life interior pathogens like environmentally a lot more or simply am wanted to know to take a step legally for legal reasons in question, i am push it with keep in mind brand new opportunities. the following reminds me in which it while my favorite project is a must, It spot i, it is really not this i will be.

Postscript: one of the greatest times of a family doing work residing has been the next day of pass on anytime existing, poisonous alpha reached me with one of the puppy's henchmen and also humbly asked if i could summary one or a couple of things. "confident. Lemme right talk with my cutting edge boss on to whereby my focus it dependes. you have got electric powered choice correctly, right.

February 22, 2021 at 00:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Scott Strid

Good day! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this page to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

March 2, 2021 at 13:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Stewart Desgroseillie

certainly like your web site but you need to test the spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very troublesome to tell the truth then again I'll certainly come back again.

March 4, 2021 at 11:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. https://mbee.com.vn

I am sure this post has touched all the internet people,
    its really really nice article on building up new weblog.

March 20, 2021 at 17:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. https://mbee.com.vn/dia-chi-ban-vach-ngan-ve-sinh-compact-tai-ho-chi-minh-hcm/

Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?
    I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but
    I'm not seeing very good gains. If you know of any please
    share. Appreciate it!

March 25, 2021 at 17:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. vách ngăn vệ sinh

Everything is very open with a clear explanation of the challenges.
    It was truly informative. Your website is very useful.
    Thanks for sharing!

March 26, 2021 at 03:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. mbee.com.vn

I'm impressed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that's
    equally educative and amusing, and let me tell
    you, you've hit the nail on the head. The problem is something which too
    few men and women are speaking intelligently about.
    I am very happy that I stumbled across this during my hunt for something regarding this.

March 29, 2021 at 00:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. vách ngăn vệ sinh

Link exchange is nothing else except it is simply placing the other person's webpage
    link on your page at appropriate place and other person will also do same in favor of you.

April 3, 2021 at 04:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. vách ngăn vệ sinh

I know this web site gives quality dependent articles or reviews and additional
    stuff, is there any other web page which offers these kinds of things in quality?

April 4, 2021 at 12:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. báo giá vách ngăn vệ sinh

Fantastic post however I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this subject?
    I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further.
    Thank you!

April 6, 2021 at 07:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. vách ngăn wc

Thanks , I've just been looking for info about this topic for ages and yours is the
    best I've discovered till now. However, what about
    the bottom line? Are you certain concerning the source?

April 7, 2021 at 12:02 | Report abuse | Reply