home
RSS
June 3rd, 2011

Gupta on Kevorkian: Rest in peace

No matter how old someone is, or how sick they have been, it still comes as a shock to hear they have died. 83-year-old Jack Kevorkian, Dr. Death himself, died this morning as Bach, his favorite, played over the intercom.  I felt an involuntary gasp of air in my throat when I learned of his passing.

Last June, he agreed to sit down with me, and participate in what would be the last TV interview of his life. We sat and talked under an impossibly blue sky on the campus of the University of Michigan. I wrote the story at the link below soon after we spoke.

Dr. Kevorkian told me he was afraid to die. “Just like everyone else,” he added. If you sat and listened to him, that wouldn’t seem nearly as ironic as you think. He also said he wasn’t ready to die. He said he needed to warn the world about the perils of an overabundant society, change their views on euthanasia, and help re-establish the glory of the 9th amendment.

As often happens in death, Dr. Kevorkian may now be even more likely to achieve those goals.

I told Jack I hoped to see him again one day. And, I meant it. RIP.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta on his conversation with Dr. Jack Kevorkian, originally posted on June 14th, 2010

1. Brian

A real champion of human rights. He will be missed.

June 3, 2011 at 12:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sissytoo

Absolutely. He was an amazing man who was not afraid to stand up to the medical profession, who basically ignors the plight of the terminally ill. People should be allowed to die if that is their wish.

June 3, 2011 at 13:44 | Report abuse |
    • realist

Jack can walk with the giants of human rights...King, Parks, Gandhi. All you religious busy bodies that want to tell everyone else how to live their lives will protest that thought. But you will never control my thoughts like the puppets you are.

June 3, 2011 at 14:29 | Report abuse |
    • Albert

Champion of human rights don't put people to death. They honor life.

June 4, 2011 at 01:47 | Report abuse |
  2. T3chsupport

People can call him a monster all they want, but I know that if I'm suffering, and know I'm going to die, I hope there's a monster like that around to put me and my family out of that pain with grace.

June 3, 2011 at 12:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • anna

Amen!

June 3, 2011 at 12:29 | Report abuse |
    • KFG - NY

Agreed – RIP Jack

June 3, 2011 at 12:48 | Report abuse |
    • jorge

R.I.P.

June 3, 2011 at 13:10 | Report abuse |
    • nosnobunny

You aren't alone in that wish. I can't imagine a horror worse than to be forced to exist in pain. RIP.

June 3, 2011 at 13:11 | Report abuse |
    • sissytoo

I have sat back and watched someone suffer, and believe me, my grandfather told me himself that if he knew how to contact Dr. K, he would do it. The medical industry does little to help people. My grandfather suffered horribly, with me begging for help,. until I finally found someone that would at least make him comfortable....5 days before his death to cancer so bad his spine was together by a thread. The local doctor's wife, who also answered his phone, told me that my pa couldn't live on pain meds forever.....they gave him Tylenol 3 VERY sparingly....with his spine together by a thread (yes, it was on an MRI but they never said a word about it), a huge tumor in his pelvis and tumors in his lungs. I cant get past this and will never forgive them and really wish the same fate on them but doubt that happening.

June 3, 2011 at 13:49 | Report abuse |
    • realist

That's a fact Jack!

June 3, 2011 at 14:31 | Report abuse |
    • craig Pulido

You might want to learn about Redemptive Suffering.

June 3, 2011 at 15:15 | Report abuse |
  3. Ralph

I've now lost all respect for Sanjay Gupta. I thought he was better than this.

June 3, 2011 at 12:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • goz

Just wait until you have to watch a love one die a painful death; then give us your opinion. You are probably one of those fundamentalists who will use medical technology to keep your mother's body alive like a science experiment so that you won't have to bear the pain of losing her. Why do we treat out pets with more compassion then our human friends?

June 3, 2011 at 12:38 | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

I don't see what is so controversial about letting someone choose to die humanely on their own terms, with the assistance of trained medical personnel, rather than die naturally but having to endure excruciating pain and indignity. Anyone who has ever been close with someone suffering from late-stage ALS–constant heart-wrenching screams of pain, having your diaper changed every few hours, having to be "flipped" every 90 minutes–understands that the true cruelty here comes from *not* providing terminally ill-patients the option to painlessly and humanely end their life on their own terms, when they are ready.

This argument should have nothing to do with religion. If you are religious, then don't assist others in suicide.

June 3, 2011 at 12:42 | Report abuse |
    • Bob

And I am sure he is really going to miss you! NOT

June 3, 2011 at 12:45 | Report abuse |
    • churchofcoltrane

If your respect is so fleeting and reactionary, then it isn't worth having.

June 3, 2011 at 12:46 | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

The greatest gift that God gave us is life with the ability to choose good over evil; that is what separates man from animals. This man distorted a mission that originally was laudable...that people should have the right to die in dignity.

However, his obsession with death regularly steered him to the "solution" of assisted suicide as the only alternative; this man had no more to do with protecting human rights than Adolph Hitler. I will leave it up to God to decide whether he rests in peace; these decisions are God's, not man's, to make.

June 3, 2011 at 13:04 | Report abuse |
    • Luciano

I totally agree with you. Just another example of a bright young medical mind totally ignoring their Hypocratic oath..how sad and how tragic...

June 3, 2011 at 13:27 | Report abuse |
    • Dickle

Ralph, you are an idiot. I'll just end it at that.

June 3, 2011 at 13:35 | Report abuse |
    • sissytoo

Let's see you writhing in pain from terminal cancer, and no pain meds and then get back to me with your opinion.

June 3, 2011 at 13:49 | Report abuse |
    • Dianne Foster

The only thing that concerns me about medically sanctioned euthanasia is the slippery slope – and I'm not even thinking about a patient's wishes, but the tendency of bureaucracies to start calling the shots. They did under Hitler, and even nuns participated in killing TB patients in their care. Probably made logical sense at the time, too. So that's why you make a bright line and a point beyond which you do not go.

As for comatose patients who will never wake up – that happens every day. We disconnected our beloved father, not because his quality of life was going down and it might hurt his ego, but because he was essentially a dead man, being kept artificially alive. There are situations like that all over the place, and nobody needs Kevorkian to deal with it.

I see though, that the "perils of an overabundant society" comes out – what does that mean? The utilitarianism which says there should be a cut-off and we don't help certain classes of people seems like getting on Hitler's leaky lifeboat to me.

June 3, 2011 at 13:54 | Report abuse |
    • T

For those of you that don't understand what the big deal is about the Medical Industry not wanting to allow people to choose to die, here it is. It is all about money. The hospital makes tons of money keeping people alive for no other reason. They don't care one bit about what some individual or their family is feeling. It makes them and their shareholders money to keep them alive and they will fight it as long as they can to keep it this way. The Medical Industry is just like any other Industry. They only care about profits.

June 3, 2011 at 14:01 | Report abuse |
    • Joel

You lost respect for Gupta because he supports treating people humanely and he's not some religious lunatic who believes people need to suffer until there very last breath? I so wish we can ship you and your ilk off to a deserted island where you would be able to run the place as you see fit. Ironically it would end up with people trying to escape by raft and back to a civilixed world.

June 3, 2011 at 14:26 | Report abuse |
    • LOLOL

Yes, showing compassion makes him a monster. You're an idiot.

June 3, 2011 at 14:30 | Report abuse |
    • realist

Ralph... a religious puppet. How sad.

June 3, 2011 at 14:33 | Report abuse |
    • Colin G.

I cannot believe you people. You think you know everything. God is the arbiter of life and death. Not man. Be careful what you ask for. They might euthanize you even when you least expect it!

June 3, 2011 at 14:46 | Report abuse |
    • Mark

This may be difficult for you to believe Colin, but not everyone believe in God.
      What you see as righteous is seen as horribly cruel to others.
      This is why it should be about choice.

If your God wants you to suffer, you should have that right to suffer.
      Just as others should have the right to a death with dignity.

June 3, 2011 at 15:15 | Report abuse |
    • Albert

Ralph is spot on. Human being is not owner of life. If he doesn't create life, by logic, he shouldn't even put an end to it. Where's the disconnect?

June 4, 2011 at 01:49 | Report abuse |
  4. Hayden71

Yikes....he has a lot to answer for in respect to assisting the suicides of these people. The fact that he has a fear of dying shows that he is definitely not ready to meet God. Sad story indeed.

"Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself (Jesus Christ) likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery." Hebrews 2:14, 15.

June 3, 2011 at 12:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brian

I see it didn't take too long for the crazies to come out from under their pews.

June 3, 2011 at 12:30 | Report abuse |
    • Stan

THERE IS NO GOD

June 3, 2011 at 12:33 | Report abuse |
    • sardukar

Sadly you are mistaken, Kevorkian is on Mt. Vesuvius as demigod next to Zeus..

June 3, 2011 at 12:39 | Report abuse |
    • chad

only the pure in spirit meet god anyhow, the fact that you dont have compassion in this moment should let you know that you wont be one of those privileged few.

June 3, 2011 at 13:00 | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

Incredible! The Kevorkian clones are coming out of the woodwork.

June 3, 2011 at 13:05 | Report abuse |
    • nosnobunny

You're making a huge assumption that he or anyone else believes that there is a god.

June 3, 2011 at 13:16 | Report abuse |
    • Colin G.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The man has a lot to answer for. And for those of you who *believe* there is no God, do you have proof of this? Google Pascal's wager...

June 3, 2011 at 14:49 | Report abuse |
    • gott

@ColIin G.

Google Russell's teapot. As for Pascal's wager, I could make any claim about what that god's rules are for getting into heaven and staying out of hell. For example, my god will not allow into heaven any person that wears clothes. Are you going to spend the rest of your life naked just in case that is true? Since you can't prove that I'm wrong, I guess you have no choice.

June 3, 2011 at 15:29 | Report abuse |
    • TF

I do wish all you whackjobs HAD been Raptured last month.

June 3, 2011 at 20:18 | Report abuse |
    • Albert

Wondering why the mere presence of godly makes the godless so nervous that they start using abusive and derogatory language but have no basis to counter them.

I guess they don't like anyone pointing to their skewed theories.

June 4, 2011 at 01:53 | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Its not nervousness Albert. It's annoyance.
      Just like we don't make you nervous.
      You believe, I don't believe, there is no meeting in the middle. We simply annoy each other because neither accepts the others opinion. LOL

June 5, 2011 at 00:26 | Report abuse |
  5. goz

@Ralph. Just wait until you have to watch a loved ones die a painful death; then give us your opinion. You are probably one of those fundamentalists who will use medical technology to keep your mother's body alive like a science experiment so that you won't have to bear the pain of losing her. Why do we treat out pets with more compassion then our human friends?

June 3, 2011 at 12:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Tevo

Let's see, it's okay to kill our unborn child, but not okay to kill OURSELVES. We either have control over our bodies, or we don't. Just because something illegal, doesn't make it morally wrong or morally right. Personally, I will NOT die a long painful death, and I refuse to have my kids watch me die a slow painful death. We wouldn't allow an animal to die like that, but yet we let people suffer enormously. That's B.S. If we are indeed free, and America is a country of free will, than my body is mine and I will determine when I've had enough. No goverment or doctor will have any say in how long I suffer.

June 3, 2011 at 12:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sardukar

Sadly the Church still has has the last word what you should do with your body. Just tread some of the comments.

June 3, 2011 at 12:41 | Report abuse |
    • Luciano

sadly tragically TEVO you will get your wish ....Euthanasia is nothing more than the by-product of the pro-abortion movement...i.e. there is no respect for the begining of life and now there is no respect for the end of life...we have have banished God from our society, ignored our founding Judeo_Christian principles and are now falling further and further into the quagmire...pretty soon the death panels will be here..its just a a matter of time..unless we as a society turn back to God

June 3, 2011 at 13:32 | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Luciano – Death panels are something made up by Palin, although I think Blue Cross Blue Shield uses something similar.

June 3, 2011 at 14:21 | Report abuse |
    • gott

@Luciano

Your belief in this god has made you an incredibly immoral and ignorant person. If you cannot determine what is right from what is wrong without being told by your god, then you simply cannot be moral. My morality is not derived from a dictator and it never will be.

June 3, 2011 at 16:55 | Report abuse |
    • VastlyAmused

Paul, it isn't just Blue Cross. My provider is just as bad. I have a family member with a chronic disease and it seems like I spend more time arguing with the "review board" than dealing with the doctors. As someone else pointed out, the insurance companies are more concerned about profits, as are the medical providers and the pharmaceutical companies–allow things to be cured and they lose their client base.

My brother says he wants to be kept alive with all heroic measures possible. Not if his insurance provider decides it will cost too much. I don't want to be kept alive if it means loss of real life–I don't want to merely exist as a mass of suffering flesh. Either way, it should be our choice and not that of bean counters and strangers,

June 3, 2011 at 18:21 | Report abuse |
    • VastlyAmused

Sounds like Luciano has been playing in the tea again. It is painfully obvious he didn't pay attention in history classes ever in school or he would know better than to spout those fallacies about the Founding Fathers.

June 3, 2011 at 18:23 | Report abuse |
  7. John

I am 72 years old, alive after a stroke and heart attack. I am at peace. The stroke wounded my brain. My Mind is perfect. Dr. Gupta wrote an inspiring eulogy! No matter who Kervorkian was, his death,like any living being, deserves quiet respect. As Betty White said about death in her interview with Katie Couric – "Nobody knows. People think they do, you can believe whatever you want to believe what happens at that last moment, but nobody ever knows until it happens. It's a secret. "
    Doctor Kevorkian now knows the secret....
    Soon we all shall...

June 3, 2011 at 12:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • nosnobunny

John, I think I like you.

June 3, 2011 at 13:19 | Report abuse |
    • Gayle

Very well said, John. My best wishes to you.

June 3, 2011 at 14:19 | Report abuse |
  8. Captain

I have enormous respect for this man! While many doctors care less about what the patients go through when they are terminally ill and in grave pain, he chose to help them accomplish what they want! Put them out of the misery they feel every second. Grave pain and helplessness! He was a God sent angel of death to those he helped!

Making tough decisions when it won't bring you wealth and fame for what you believe in is exactly what Jack did! He believed in helping those that were suffering tremendously!

Indeed he was GOD sent!
    RIP!!

June 3, 2011 at 12:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kevin

Rather than make a blanket statement that doctors "care less" about their dying patients, prove it. Name names. Otherwise, you are writing fiction at best and lies at worst.

No one should let Captain remain unchallenged; he made an outrageous statement. Let him prove it.

June 3, 2011 at 13:07 | Report abuse |
    • Captain

@Kevin,

Either you are a Doctor or wannabe or you have not had loved ones dealing with cancer and see how doctor after doctor treat their patients! Oh yes, I have seen it and lived it until my loved one passed away!
      Perhaps you need to get out of the corner you've been living before you decide to challenge anyone!

A little learning is dangerous, drink deep or taste not!

June 3, 2011 at 13:42 | Report abuse |
    • Jose

He said Many doctors.. not all

June 3, 2011 at 14:27 | Report abuse |
  9. Bob

U just have to love the Extreme God folks don't you. You folks can suffer if you choose but (no pun intented) for God's sake leave us alone. See you Jack.

June 3, 2011 at 12:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kevin

Suffering is as much a part of life as it is a part of death...perhaps more so. Study the great religions of the world and you will discover that there are hundreds of philosophers (not doctors) who can explain it.

June 3, 2011 at 13:08 | Report abuse |
    • Thoth Amon

There is no such thing as a "great religion".

June 3, 2011 at 13:28 | Report abuse |
    • Mark

That's nice and all Kevin. But keep in mind just because you want me to suffer doesn't mean I'm likely to agree.
      And since it is my body well I guess I should have the final say.

June 5, 2011 at 00:29 | Report abuse |
  10. Guest

Funny how Gupta is OK with people receiving assistance with suicide, but he is against the freedom to put whatever one would like in one's own body, as described in his idiotic anti-marijuana essay.

June 3, 2011 at 12:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paul

Well he is a doctor, and as such would not suggest someone hold smoke in their lungs.

June 3, 2011 at 14:22 | Report abuse |
    • Guest

You are assuming that smoking is the only way to ingest marijuana, which it isn't by a long run.

June 3, 2011 at 15:45 | Report abuse |
  11. mary

I believe in God, a creator, Jesus, compassion and caring..
    I believe this man showed more compassion in helping humans end their suffering than doctors who prolong it with medications and machines..
    When life becomes too painful and miserable to truly be living, when the only outcome is a prolonged death...To allow another human to endure such misery seems inhumane..
    those that judge this man for helping others end that kind of existence, rather than help prolong it, are probably the same people that would deem a person abusive and cruel if they did the same to an animal..
    It is supposed to be "kind" to end the suffering of an animal. And murder to "end" the suffering of a human?
    This man did not "kill" anyone.. He allowed them to decide when they themselves had, had enough..
    I don't know, but I am not so sure he has as much to fear meeting his maker, as the doctors who prolong the misery of those who they keep alive on machines and medications...

June 3, 2011 at 12:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sammy zoso

Beautifully written, Mary.

June 3, 2011 at 13:13 | Report abuse |
  12. STONE

A true American hero. A man that stood up for what he believed in, and took the fall when the "misunderstood" did not agree with him. Jack helped terminal people with no hope, that most people would never give a moment of their time for. Only Jack... somehow understood that we treat our dying animals with more dignity than we do humans. Yet, ironically.... they called him “Dr Death”... when all he gave was peace to those who needed it most. RIP Jack.

June 3, 2011 at 12:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. zoundsman

Another old timer (like George Carlin) who stepped back from the "machine of society" to get a better overall view.
    They could see the dysfunction in many aspects. We plod ahead-3 steps forward, one step backwards, but still
    moving ahead. Too damn slow in my opinion.

June 3, 2011 at 12:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sammy zoso

We are a country filled with people filled with fear and that makes us regressive. Dr. Kevorkian was a progressive. May he RIP.

June 3, 2011 at 13:16 | Report abuse |
  14. Kerry

Thank God for Jack. He was a truly caring man and helped pave the way for others to follow.

June 3, 2011 at 12:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Dee G

RIP Dr. Kevorkian – you were ahead of your time.

June 3, 2011 at 12:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. and another thing...

Sanjay, beautifully written. Condolences to Dr. Kevorkian's family.

June 3, 2011 at 13:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Rich

Our beauty obsessed culture keeps us from seeing the truth.

Dr. Kevorkian was right, but it was easy for the media and the religious lunatics to dismiss him because he LOOKED like Dr. Death.

If he had looked like George Clooney, physician assisted suicide would now be the law of the land.

June 3, 2011 at 13:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Tim Flagler

All emotion aside, Dr. Kevorkian worked with patients to do things that he thought was in their and their family's best interests and wishes. Whether those things were moral or not is another issue.

I saw a good pro-con presentation on his work at procon.org. They asked "Did Dr. Jack Kevorkian ethically serve the best interests of his patients?" and got responses from the American Medical Association, Pat Buchanan, American Ethical Union, and Dr. Jack himself. Check out http://euthanasia.procon.org/view.answers.php?ques... and see what you think.

I ended up siding with the pro-Jack camp because personally I find dying with dignity better than hanging on in indignity. We show more compassion to animals than humans when it comes to end of life issues, and I think that is wrong. Dr. Jack for all his quirks and faults was a major champion for an important cause. Rest in peace.

June 3, 2011 at 13:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. RIch

This man was a murder... he played GOD...no loss tears here

June 3, 2011 at 13:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JenLaw

Here, here!

June 3, 2011 at 13:40 | Report abuse |
    • MB

No he gave patients the chance to take control of their lives and end horrific pain with a inevitable end. Horrific when religious zealots force suffering people to continue to exist in abject pain. Those are the real monsters.

June 3, 2011 at 14:17 | Report abuse |
    • Michael

How Christian of you....I swear you bible thumpers are the biggest hypocrites.

June 3, 2011 at 21:39 | Report abuse |
  20. KFG - NY

I have and 83 yr old aunt who is sufferieng with unbearable back pain and dizziness from inner ear issues. I love my aunt very, she is a very important part of my life. When I hear the suffering in her voice or see how she struggles to get around it is more than I can bear. Due to religious reasons she would never end her own life, howerver, she prays to god to take her to heaven with no avail. There are days she cannot get out of bed due to the pain. So much for the golden years.

To me Dr. Kevorkian was a saint to end pain and suffering. There should be more doctors with the same perspective on end of live care. I would never let one of my pets suffer as my aunt does.

June 3, 2011 at 13:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Alex

Dr Kevorkian is a hero and humanitarian. He is not Dr Death, but an angel who sacrificed his career and freedom to relief people of their pain.

June 3, 2011 at 13:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. HenkV

When my time has come I can go to the country where I was born and die with dignity. Can you?

June 3, 2011 at 13:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MB

Oregon and Washington have death with dignity laws.

June 3, 2011 at 14:19 | Report abuse |
  23. JenLaw

Take it from a Michigander, this guy was certifiable. He was nuttier than a fruitcake!! Several people tried to change their minds with him and he told them it was too late. We can not do whatever we want with our bodies folks, these are laws to protect the stupid.

June 3, 2011 at 13:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • TSRVT

Liar.

June 3, 2011 at 15:12 | Report abuse |
    • Pat F

Amen, JenLaw. I am a Michigander too. He was completely nuts, a megalomaniac, super-death obessed, a sick, manipulative psychopath who harmed his "cause" much more than he ever helped it.

June 3, 2011 at 15:41 | Report abuse |
    • ^

Bvllsh!t
      Prove it.

June 3, 2011 at 17:48 | Report abuse |
  24. Jerry

It is my life, no one elses, and it should only be my decision when to end it. Now people will say I will have to answer to a higher being if I do end it, well again it is my decision no one elses. If someone else wants to suffer with a terminal illness then that should be their choice and I wont interfer in that decision.

June 3, 2011 at 13:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Jim

Jack was a truly compassionate Doctor, as I believe are most Doctor's. They are not monsters as presented in some of these rants. When the time comes and my body and mind have fought the good fight as long as possible, I hope there is a Dr. Jack to help ease my pain and that of my family. Live with dignity and die with dignity. RIP Dr. Jack!!!

June 3, 2011 at 13:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Gtmemoirs

I purchased a pirated(which is normal here in Guyana)copy of the movie " U don't know Jack" because I wanted to learn about Jack. I haven't gotten around to watching it yet though.

Will do so tonight. Thanks Dr.Gupta.

June 3, 2011 at 13:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Surprise!

Strange days

June 3, 2011 at 13:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. MARCELO CALAMBAS

He was a man who understood the terminally ill. He made us all think about the last stages in someone's life. He made his mark on the work. May he rest in peace.

June 3, 2011 at 13:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Tina

I have witnessed a dear loved one die a very slow, agonizing cancer death. Some of the last words he uttered were "shoot me, shoot me". If I could have helped him die quickly and painlessly without the risk of jail, I would have. Jack is a bigger man than most of us. He sacrificed his own freedom in order to do what is right and help others – people he didn't even know or love. How dare anyone dictate to another when or how they should die! Free country? What a brainwash. Our lives are controlled by greedy bureaucrats who don't give a d*mn about us and self-righteous religious zealots. RIP Jack. You are a true hero who was too good for this world.

June 3, 2011 at 14:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mattmchugh

Amen to all the above.

June 3, 2011 at 14:34 | Report abuse |
  30. nick2

A man who lived what he believed – a man of great courage who really only wanted to help alleviate the most mind searing white hot pain that all of will one day risk having.

June 3, 2011 at 14:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. June

you little people and your religion crutch

June 3, 2011 at 14:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Nature doc

Death for the near dead, like from the view of the Cancer patient, is not the same as the Death of a Loved One especially a seemingly health and robust Loved One. When you are very close to death, Death itself is not that far away. Did you ever wonder why the Bible describes the "Angle of Death". The Worldly view sees a devil of death but God sends us an Angle. Go Figure! Angle or devil. Death is as natural as birth. Each moment of our life brings million of cell deaths and millions of cells born. The Soul, that which is not born, that which is not made of matter, that also does not die, that does not fall apart.

June 3, 2011 at 14:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Emeljay

My angle will most likely be 180 degrees.

June 3, 2011 at 17:28 | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Wow Nature doc.
      That's a very obtuse post. 🙂

June 5, 2011 at 00:35 | Report abuse |
  33. Alana

I'm torn over assisted suicide, but I have watched a loved one suffer and pass. The Bible teaches us to choose life over death, but it also teaches us compassion and love. You are only going to go if it is your time! I have seen people put down horses w/ broken legs, dogs hit by cars and they are God's creation as well. Are they going to Hell? As a Christian, who am I or you to make that call? I believe anything you do, done in hate, is what you are ultimately punished for. Jesus died for our sins, so that we wouldn't have to suffer as He did. If Dr. Kevorkian did anything out of hate, he will answer for his sins. May God rest his soul! Judge not least ye be judged.

June 3, 2011 at 14:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Nature doc

There really is no need to kill one self; better choice is to let go and relax. don't follow thoughts. If you don't follow thoughts, they will naturally disappear. A million thoughts completely disappear as soon as you don't follow them, just stop the train of thoughts, let go and relax. When they stop they are completely gone. Of course, you can start the train again and you can stop the train and get off.

June 3, 2011 at 14:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Thomas J

We humans do not make the rules. People die everyday. Thousands of them. Too often we delay the inevitable, driven by the notion that people should live forever. If we treated dogs the way we treat humans, we would be arrested for cruelty. Dr K. was a highly educated and experienced physician whose opinions warrented respect. See ya, sir, when people do live forever.

June 3, 2011 at 14:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Nature doc

There really is no need to fear death; think of Jesus, imagine Jesus in an aura of light, let go and relax. Feel the Love. Go to God.

June 3, 2011 at 14:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Nature doc

That which is not Born does not Die

June 3, 2011 at 14:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Dan

We are all caretakers of our own bodies/souls... Most of us of course choose to lead fruitful lives – the issue arises what happens when that life, or the quality of it has reached a painful, and low point? Should we not have the choice of how we choose to die, much like we choose to live?

Most of rational intelligent beings would want that choice. It is not for some politican, or some religious figure, or other mythical "messenger of God" to make. The problem with narrow minded zealotry of religions is that it negates intelligent thought.

June 3, 2011 at 14:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Colin G.

I am so honestly tired of hearing people who believe in God being called unintelligent. Such a goofy, unintelligent statement in and of itself. Believing in God is eminently reasonable, and I would dare to say MUCH more rational than not believing in Him. Have you honestly examined both sides of the arguments? I cannot HONESTLY understand how someone can put such fantastic, awesome, patently obvious DESIGN in the universe to chance. Read some scientific literature on what the odds are of this design being as a result of chance. There are lots of books and articles out there. Sorry for being wordy – it just upsets me that people make these comments, which seem to stem more from anger than reason.

June 3, 2011 at 14:58 | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Colin G, the reason that some of us think that way is because there are quite a few religious folk on here that have stated its better to suffer for months on end before dying then being put down humanely.

That take on pointless suffering doesn't come across as very intelligent to people who do not believe.

June 5, 2011 at 00:39 | Report abuse |
  39. Todd

According to a report by the Detroit Free Press, at least 60% of the people who committed suicide with Kevorkian's help were not terminally ill. The report asserted that:
    * Kevorkian's counseling was often limited to phone calls and brief meetings that included family members and friends.
    * There was no psychiatric examination in at least 19 Kevorkian suicides, including several in which friends or family had responded that the patient was despondent over matters other than health.
    * In at least 17 assisted suicides in which people complained of chronic pain, Kevorkian did not refer the patients to a pain specialist.
    * Kevorkian's access to medical records varied widely; in some instances, he received only a brief summary of the attending physician's prognosis.
    * Autopsies of at least three Kevorkian suicides revealed no anatomical evidence of disease.
    * At least 19 patients died less than 24 hours after meeting Kevorkian for the first time.

June 3, 2011 at 14:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • James

..and where is the proof to all your "Facts".. let's see some links.

June 3, 2011 at 15:44 | Report abuse |
    • Pat F

Correct, Todd. It was always all about Jack, not the patients. They were just pawns in his quest for self-aggrandizement and publicity. Finally he went too far, and spent time in the slammer. Good riddance Jack, and you are lucky that, when you were sick and vulnerable, you were protected from predatory creeps like yourself.

June 3, 2011 at 15:44 | Report abuse |
    • Surprise!

Thank you, Todd! As someone who knew Jack personally and spent more time with him than I wanted to, I know the false compassion that was Jack. He never treated so much as paper cut! He was a pathologist NOT a treating physician! I wish all you folks would wake up! Yes, he made a difference but in the WRONG way! He was a hypocrite! Stop turning him into some kind of martyr!

June 3, 2011 at 18:41 | Report abuse |
    • Todd

James, you need a link: http://www.freep.com/article/20070527/NEWS05/70525061/SUICIDE-MACHINE-PART-1

June 4, 2011 at 16:39 | Report abuse |
  40. Peppy Hamburger

Sorry, Dr. Gupta, but you did NOT have the last interview of Dr. Kevorkian's life. He was interviewed by the Ron & Fez Show on Sirius/XM 10 days later, on June 24, 2010.

June 3, 2011 at 14:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Cruel Circus

Why lie?
    You did not have the last interview with Dr. Kevorkian.
    He was on SiriusXM's The Ron & Fez Show ten days after your interview, interviewed by Ron Bennington.

June 3, 2011 at 15:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sydney

Yo - Cruel Circus, It says last TV interview numnuts... Gupta had the last tv interview, not obscure satellite radio interview.

June 4, 2011 at 00:23 | Report abuse |
    • Cruel Circus

Hey, day later boy, they EDITED the article- after we pointed out the mistake.
      So, yeah, we were right!

June 19, 2011 at 02:41 | Report abuse |
  42. Polly

Thank you Dr. Jack for forcing us to think on this issue!
    Our society allows us to write medical directives, or living wills, no heroic measures and all that babble.
    Why then is it illegal to say when my pain or suffering is too much to bear I will tell my family, make my wish to depart my body known by legal means and be allowed to end the suffering with or without the assistance of qualified help?

June 3, 2011 at 15:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. ScoutRadio

For the record, Dr. Gupta was *not* the last person to interview Kevorkian. Ron Bennington interviewed him on 6/24/2010 on Sirius/XM Radio. http://wp.me/p1ksja-bh Full interview here: http://ronbenningtoninterviews.com/jackkevorkianaudio.htm

June 3, 2011 at 15:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Brian

Cruel Circus is absolutely right. It is disgraceful for CNN to take away from the Great Ron Bennington. Gupta only wishes he could give an interview as insightful as Mr. Bennington.

June 3, 2011 at 15:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sydney

Alright, listened to both interviews. Let's just say it makes sense that nobody knows who Ron Bennington is! Gupta's interview was really amazing. And, Gupta had the last TV interview, not radio.

June 4, 2011 at 00:25 | Report abuse |
    • Cruel Circus

Again, Sids, if that's your REAL name... cnn.com EDITED and corrected the article, after we had to point out the facts to them. And you're nuts if you didn't think the R&F interview was a good one.

June 19, 2011 at 02:43 | Report abuse |
  45. Stephen

A REAL doctor. Pledged to end suffering wherever he saw it.

June 3, 2011 at 15:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Ray

There is so much controversy over Jack Kevorkian (Hagop Gevorkian – Armenian Transl.)
    I cannot say if I agree or disagree with this man. He seems to be committed to his beliefs and his medical practice. His body language shows that he is confident with his words. Yet, even "Dr. Death" as most of you call him, does not know what awaits him on the other side. NONE OF US DO. I think everyone here should stop fighting someone else's war and live the way you choose. There will come a time when everyone will expire, and once you expire, only then you will understand and only then you will have the right to judge on what is right or wrong.

Christians state that only God can judge man, yet some of you "Christians" disregard your God's command and judge man for what he portrays and how you perceive him.

I believe in God, I don't believe in religion because when it is a question of money, Everyone is of the same religion.

June 3, 2011 at 15:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Jason

nil nisi bonum.

Good write up Gupta.

June 3, 2011 at 15:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. icedawg

For all the good this "Dr" supposedly did he will still stand before the great Judge who judges impartially but according to the standards that He has set and not the standards set by the court of public opinion at the time. Isaiah 5:20-21 20 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter !21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, and shrewd in their own sight!

June 3, 2011 at 15:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • James

Above all else the Bible teaches compassion. I am Christian and have read the Bible cover to cover. He was welcomed with open arms by God.

June 3, 2011 at 15:41 | Report abuse |
    • TF

Hey icedawg, didn't that Jesus guy come to get rid of all that Old Testament stuff you're spouting and bring a message of peace, love, forgiveness and compassion? So why are you spouting the OT nonsense, which was full of vengeance, hatred and cruelty? Isn't Christianity supposed to be about loving EVERYONE, whether they love you back or not, whether you agree with them or not? Why is it that you religious folks really can't walk the walk and are the first ones to judge when your own Saviour says "judge not, lest ye be judged."

June 3, 2011 at 20:22 | Report abuse |
  49. Bill

My mother died of ALS – one of the worst ways to go.

Kevorkian was a hero. I find it horrible that some of the trash bags of humanity put him in jail.

Dr. Kevorkian RIP.

June 3, 2011 at 15:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. JenLaw

Hey, TSRVT, proof is in the pudding or in this case Court Files, which the Prosecutor's Office has privy to and VHS (now CD's) so, you stand corrected.

June 3, 2011 at 15:52 | Report abuse | Reply