home
RSS
SF to vote on male circumcision in November
May 18th, 2011

SF to vote on male circumcision in November

San Francisco voters will  decide whether to ban male circumcision in the November 8 municipal election.

Activists gathered enough signatures to put a proposal on the ballot, the city's election board confirmed Wednesday.

The measure  aims to prohibit all male circumcisions in San Francisco. Led by Lloyd Schofield who is part of a Bay Area “intactivist” group, the advocates want to eliminate the  surgery and liken it to  "male genital mutilation."

Schofield and the "intactivists" seek to make it "unlawful to circumcise, excise, cut, or mutilate the whole or any part of the foreskin, testicles, or penis" of anyone 17 or younger in San Francisco.  Under the proposal, a person who violates the proposed ban could be jailed (not more than one year) or fined (not more than $1,000). Exemptions for religious reasons would not be allowed.

Column: Circumcising our son– how do we decide?

The measure faces huge hurdles: Legal, religious opposition and varying public opinion.  It has brought up some interesting discussions about why we circumcise and whether there are any sound medical benefits.

Empowered Patient: Should teens make their own circumcision decision?

“We hope to get a greater outreach to the people in the city,” Schofield said Wednesday during a celebratory lunch.  He said the activists would step up efforts to talk about the issue with residents.  “We are willing and happy to talk to people who want a respectful conversation. We’re excited to do it.”

1. Lyle

How do recognize poor governance? When those governing pursue pet agendas instead of the common good. So San Francisco you get an A++++ in poor governance. Also, this in not about your concern for babies, it's about your apparent hatred of Judeo/Christian culture. You have ZERO right to trample someone's culture, which the courts will be telling you.

May 18, 2011 at 21:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Zach

Everyone on here complaining about the SF city government's priorities should understand that this proposal is a BALLOT MEASURE created by a bunch of extremists made at their parents for cutting their wee-wees. Although it might be a reflection of the dumb ideas bored liberals sometimes come up, it has nothing to do with the political priorities of the city as a whole.

May 18, 2011 at 21:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ks

dumb bored liberals? as opposed to the dumb bored conservatives in their hot pursuit on taking away abortion rights from the individuals? either case, the right to mutilate their childs penis or to abort should be up to the parent

May 18, 2011 at 21:45 | Report abuse |
    • Marc L

Moron, why the heck shouldn't the ridiculous procedure be prevented till the recipient of the hack job has the ability to make a decision themselves.

Liberal, Hell I'm as conservative as they come but I think what's mine is mine and no one needs to make a decision as to what should or should not be cut from my body but me!

May 18, 2011 at 21:51 | Report abuse |
    • Brian

As opposed to California conservatives, who wasted so much time and money to make sure two men can't get married in their state?

May 18, 2011 at 22:19 | Report abuse |
    • wzrd1

Whether or not it is a referendum is irrelevant. It essentially outlaws a religious practice for a substantial percentage of our population, hence violates the very first amendment. As long as that city remains within the borders of the United States of America, they cannot override the first or any other amendment.
      So, more of the city's money will go into the toilet defending a stupid law.

May 18, 2011 at 22:48 | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Zach is right. It is my right as a parent to cut my kids how I choose. I think I'll cut their ears off tomorrow. I'm so tired of cleaning wax from their ears!

No worries. Zach is just jealous. He just learned from the girlfriend that uncut men are WAY BETTER in bed. Oh yeah. I did just say that! I love you, Uncut Men!

May 18, 2011 at 22:48 | Report abuse |
    • chemicalbank

Don't you recognize your own? They're not liberals, they're whackos.

May 18, 2011 at 22:54 | Report abuse |
    • wzrd1

Good for you, Laura. My wife of over 29 years is quite taken with my cut member. Taken enough to have become pregnant 16 times and delivered two live births.
      But, you're right. To hell with the first amendment for Jews, they'll just have to quit their religion. To hell with surgery on a child before their 17th birthday so that they can give informed consent. Not even to remove a septic appendix. Protect their rights! Even the right to die before being able to legally decide their own medical care.

May 18, 2011 at 23:20 | Report abuse |
  3. cutthatpenis!

Man, I really really wish I had that useless flap of skin on my penis that is a gathering point for smegma... if only I could have it back...

May 18, 2011 at 21:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dave

Lol... sounds like you should see a doctor... mine has none of those symptoms...

May 18, 2011 at 22:10 | Report abuse |
    • Al Ford

It only gathers smegma if you don't wash yourself.

May 18, 2011 at 22:12 | Report abuse |
  4. kalo

Here's a question for you all....why do you care about a single flab of skin rather than focusing this bit of energy to learning something of value...like the presidential race; and before the "Oh well you are in this article posting" it is because I skipped down to the bottom because I was well aware of the religious" heartland" vs. liberal "regular people" I think they call themselves now, cluster you know what which has happened. Basically here to point and laugh at the people who think CNN posts are anything more to the ACTUAL normal folks than cheap laughs at stupid people. Congrats everyone who thinks this article is important I just hope you all don't vote.

May 18, 2011 at 21:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. FatherRemus

God Bless Lloyd Schofield, who wants to save all these young penises...for himself.

May 18, 2011 at 21:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • wzrd1

Actually, he's upset because he's suffering from foreskin envy.

May 18, 2011 at 22:50 | Report abuse |
  6. tater

Like the boobie bracelets maybe we should have some penis bracelets saying I heart pee pees.

May 18, 2011 at 21:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JeanBean

OMG, LOL! I need one of those.

May 18, 2011 at 21:30 | Report abuse |
  7. Jon

I don't care what other people choose to do, but I don't want some limp d*ck soft head from San Francisco telling me what I can or cannot do or what I can decide for my children. These types need to have their heads used for a mop and their b*tts for a broom and I, for one, would love to clean the floor with some of them.

May 18, 2011 at 21:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jeff

I assume you're in favor of abortion as well?

May 18, 2011 at 21:19 | Report abuse |
    • Jim

But there are already things you're not allowed to do to your children, like abusing them. And in my opinion, this is akin to that.

May 18, 2011 at 21:27 | Report abuse |
    • Ronnie Harper

It's not akin to it, it is purely and simply child abuse – you can't cut a piece of a persons body off of them without their permission. If you do, you have physically abused them.

May 18, 2011 at 21:37 | Report abuse |
    • treeman

I definitely agree w/ Jon. This is complete and utter bullpuckie. Now, if this was the FEMALE mutilation we hear about in other countries I would certainly support that. But hell, what does anyone want with that smegma-collecting piece of skin?? This IS NOT mutilation... Period.

May 18, 2011 at 21:57 | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Stop putting braces on your children!! You're causing them pain and suffering! Don't cut their hair, it's THEIRS...

Please...

May 18, 2011 at 22:12 | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Yes, I don't want them telling me I can't cut my kids' fingers off either. For religious reasons, I cut all their fingers off at the last joint. Also, sometimes fingers get infected under the fingernails, so it's better to just cut the fingers off to prevent those infections.

May 18, 2011 at 22:42 | Report abuse |
    • wzrd1

You heard the bleeding hearts, Jon. No surgery until the child reaches 18 and can consent. Not even to remove an inflamed and ruptured appendix. It's their RIGHT to keep it! It's their right to die of peritonitis.

May 18, 2011 at 22:53 | Report abuse |
  8. kalo

Here's a question for you all....why do you care about a single flab of skin rather than focusing this bit of energy to learning something of value...like the presidential race; and before the "Oh well you are in this article posting" it is because I skipped down to the bottom for the reason I was well aware of the religious" heartland" vs. liberal "regular people" I think they call themselves now, cluster you know what which has happened. Basically here to point and laugh at the people who think CNN posts are anything more to the ACTUAL normal folks than cheap laughs at stupid people. Congrats everyone who thinks this article is important I just hope you all don't vote.

May 18, 2011 at 21:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jared Roussel

Something of value? Like the presidential race? Oh dear I hope that was intended as irony.

May 18, 2011 at 21:16 | Report abuse |
    • wzrd1

As the STORY is regarding a referendum in San Francisco and NOT regarding the presidential election, your point is specious at best, idiotic at worst. I'm leaning toward the latter opinion.

May 18, 2011 at 22:56 | Report abuse |
  9. Will

People in San Francisco REALLY need a hobby. Someone please tell me this has no chance of passing.

May 18, 2011 at 21:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dave

It's California...

May 18, 2011 at 22:13 | Report abuse |
    • wzrd1

Sure, it has a chance of passing, then being thrown out of court as a violation of the first amendment by the first Jew that is prosecuted over their religious practice.

May 18, 2011 at 22:57 | Report abuse |
  10. Scott

Anyone else notice how ugly that chicks earrings are. Just saying.

May 18, 2011 at 21:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • EJS

Good catch. I noticed that as well....ugly a$$ earrings.

May 18, 2011 at 21:48 | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Double bobby pins?? Jeesh, this lady needs to get some barrets already...

May 18, 2011 at 22:14 | Report abuse |
  11. Amy

It's "intactivist," not "inactivist."

May 18, 2011 at 21:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mkub

Ah, thank you. I was confused by that lol

May 18, 2011 at 21:22 | Report abuse |
    • James

Yep, you thought it was one stupid name; turns out it's an entirely different stupid name.

May 18, 2011 at 22:17 | Report abuse |
  12. jim

Egyptians used to drill holes in the skull of their young ones to drain the evil spirits. As for those who died, it was obviously because they had too much evil spirits. In the name of the gods many human losses have taken place over the centuries.

May 18, 2011 at 21:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. client09

hahaha those libs love abortion but you can't take a flap of skin off a penis............hahaha cant wait for sharia to make women wear snuggies

May 18, 2011 at 21:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dave

The guy is an ultra right-wing... do some digging... lol.

May 18, 2011 at 22:18 | Report abuse |
  14. wow

what no gay comments?

May 18, 2011 at 21:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Curmodgeon

Once again the nitwits that seem to congregate in San Francisco validate my decision to not live there.

May 18, 2011 at 21:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Ronnie Harper

You can tell all the ignorant people in the world and U.S. by their lack of support for such a measure, pure and simple. I strongly support this initiative as I was mutilated at birth myself.

May 18, 2011 at 21:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • D Handler

Being dropped on your head isn't the same thing though.

May 18, 2011 at 22:32 | Report abuse |
  17. Seriously

Babies do die from this procedure. Its very painful and without anethesia. A 17 yr old can make that decision with his parents and one year later without them under universal health care, if the Republicans don't repeal it and every other form of healthcare on the planet first to pay for the two wars. Oh, he could volunteer for combat and have his entire penis exploded from his body while making those Republicans billionaires with military contractor profits. Yea, that's the ticket. Sorry, got carried away...

May 18, 2011 at 21:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Peanut the Destroyer

Surgery at 17 is much riskier than as an infant in this case. There is no medical argument showing waiting until 17 is somehow more beneficial to the patient.

May 18, 2011 at 21:54 | Report abuse |
    • You CANNOT be Seriously...

You are truly ignorant to say this. First of all, anesthetic IS used. The baby typically only cries during the admin of the med.
      Secondly, I dont think there are any legitimate cases of anyone dying from the procedure, and certainly not from a correctly completed one.

May 18, 2011 at 21:56 | Report abuse |
    • wzrd1

Wow, so much misinformation. First, there is no pain, they now have this neat new thing called anesthesia and they actually USE it.
      Second, NOBODY dies from the procedure. Period. Even if they left the bleeding go on unabated, the blood loss is minor, even for an infant. Unless you are going to talk about infection that goes untreated, in which case the same can be said for cutting the umbilical cord! Guess we need to keep the placenta attacked until the child is 17!
      Meanwhile, to hell with the Jews! They don't deserve to follow that bronze age religion in this country, it's not like there is an amendment protecting such a crazy right!

May 18, 2011 at 23:03 | Report abuse |
    • Jon

rock on wzrd1!!

May 18, 2011 at 23:15 | Report abuse |
  18. fu9l

those who dont want it done should pay a higher insurance rate since like smoking they are risking there health this is a health issue and well i dont want to have to pay for someone elses stupidity.....

May 18, 2011 at 21:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • DNAbro

but it's not a health risk so....

May 18, 2011 at 23:08 | Report abuse |
  19. BostonBob

Truly the land of the fruits and nuts. It is much more hygenic and these Pelosi people are just crazy. Balance the budget...sell California.

May 18, 2011 at 21:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Andy

The idea that parents think its their decision to alter the genitals of their child is deeply disturbing. People should be able to decide for themselves, and even then, most people are not educated about it to make a decision. I think the millions of years of evolution knows a bit more about what works vs our opinion.

– A

May 18, 2011 at 21:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • antisubaru

by using your logic then the child should also be allowed to decide if he wants to be aborted or not....

May 18, 2011 at 21:47 | Report abuse |
    • Noel

Obviously, millions of years have not helped you, Andy...

May 18, 2011 at 22:11 | Report abuse |
    • James

Andy, your appendix would like a word with you.

May 18, 2011 at 22:19 | Report abuse |
    • D Handler

yeah, that appendix has evolved into a very useful organ.

May 18, 2011 at 22:34 | Report abuse |
    • Laura

The foreskin is there for a woman's pleasure. It greatly enhances things in the bedroom.
      Don't cut your boys, teach them to shower, and their future wives/girlfriends will thank you one day.

I repeat, the foreskin DOES serve a purpose. You cut men just can't perform as well. Sorry boys.

May 18, 2011 at 22:59 | Report abuse |
    • wzrd1

Laura, that is an entirely subjective viewpoint. Besides, my tongue is quite skilled.
      But, meanwhile, Andy wishes to repress a religion, ignoring our very first amendment and claiming it to be unimportant.
      But, apparently, the people of SF wish to disparage the rights of others, in violation of both the first AND ninth amendments.

May 18, 2011 at 23:06 | Report abuse |
  21. Peanut the Destroyer

This is socialism, big brother and bad government all rolled into one. Stay out of our lives you pompous, self righteous fools.

May 18, 2011 at 21:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Houstonian

Stay out of my doctor's office, and out of my bedroom, then we'll talk.

May 18, 2011 at 22:53 | Report abuse |
    • Laura

I agree. I can cut my kids how I please. Tomorrow I'm cutting their ears off.

May 18, 2011 at 23:01 | Report abuse |
    • wzrd1

Very well, Laura. No more surgery in San Francisco for children. They have to wait until they're 17. Not even earrings are allowed. Not even an emergency appendectomy. Not even a surgical tracheostomy. Not until they're 17 and THEY can make an informed consent.

May 18, 2011 at 23:08 | Report abuse |
  22. Jeff

I assume there is also a measure forthcoming about ear/nose/body piercings for those under 18? If we are not allowed to mutilate the foreskin of our sons, then we should not be able to pierce the skin of our daughters (or, given them the choice to do it until they are over 18). This would be far easier to enforce...

May 18, 2011 at 21:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. AheadOfU

Smels like antijews move to me.

May 18, 2011 at 21:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • wzrd1

Pretty much spot on, even IF it's claimed to be preventing mutilation of children.
      Apparently, the idiots think that their city outranks the US government and that silly first amendment thing.

May 18, 2011 at 23:17 | Report abuse |
  24. Smokey Waterz

This has to be the most absurd government action on a city level I have ever heard of. SF residents need to fire these fools.

May 18, 2011 at 21:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Kevin

Well this is retarded.

May 18, 2011 at 21:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Outragedatapretext

This seems absolutely ridiculous to me. What a pretext for a violation of the 4th Amendment! How dare they propose to restrict anyone’s religious beliefs! This makes me sick. You may think it's not a big deal, but history shows that only a small step in the wrong direction can easy go too far.

May 18, 2011 at 22:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Outragedatapretext

*1st amendment.

May 18, 2011 at 22:08 | Report abuse |
  27. Noway

They should also ban abortions on anyone under 17.

May 18, 2011 at 22:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. MIKE T

Smegma!! STINKY 😉

May 18, 2011 at 22:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Todd

Ever heard of soap and water?

May 18, 2011 at 22:11 | Report abuse |
    • David

I'm 48 and intact, and I have never seen smegma. Maybe it's because I shower every day. BTW I was the first un-mutilated man a few women had ever been with... and they loved the extra movement of that "useless" skin inside them.

May 18, 2011 at 22:58 | Report abuse |
  29. shaun

well, san francisco is the gayest place in the world, what else do you expect

May 18, 2011 at 22:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • So True

This is the most intelligent, most thoughtful, and most true post about this article so far.

May 18, 2011 at 22:39 | Report abuse |
  30. chuck

Stop mutilating your babies, and let them grow up and make up their OWN minds whether they want it or not. This is a silly practice at best, and it's permanent. Parents shouldn't make this decision, period! If parents argue that it's about asthetics, wrong answer, If it's about hygene, you're too lazy and irresponsible to be havin' kids anyway.

May 18, 2011 at 22:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • James

Yeah, I'm gonna take medical advice from a guy named Chuck on the internet.

May 18, 2011 at 22:20 | Report abuse |
    • D Handler

Hi, my internet name is chuck, and I know a lot about dick.

May 18, 2011 at 22:36 | Report abuse |
    • what a joke

Yeah and kids should be able to decide what they want to eat, and if they should go to school...

May 18, 2011 at 22:50 | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

If you think it is about hygiene, you need to find a time machine and catch up to us. We're in 2011.

May 18, 2011 at 22:53 | Report abuse |
  31. Chris

Where's Zorro these days?

May 18, 2011 at 22:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Noel

To all these people that say the parent can't decide for the child, using that logic, we shouldn't get our kids vaccinations or have their wisdom/eye teeth removed. I'm glad my parents decided to hack off that piece of useless skin...

May 18, 2011 at 22:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

You don't know what you are missing, literally. The sensation of the foreskin moving over the head of the penis is amazing.

May 18, 2011 at 23:06 | Report abuse |
    • Person

You don't have to have vaccinations. I'm almost definetly not getting any more.

May 19, 2011 at 18:51 | Report abuse |
  33. Mick

I would support this, provided San Francisco also prohibits mutilating an unborn child.

May 18, 2011 at 22:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Joe

Then we should ban piercing ear-piercing of babies as well- they didn't make that decision on their own? if the argument is that the child might make a different decision, then what other decisions do we grant to a minor?

I personally think the key issue is whether this should be dictated by law, rather than individual- in this case parental- right.

May 18, 2011 at 22:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob The Builder

I'd support that. The difference, of course, is a pierced ear can heal over. You won't grow the foreskin back.

May 18, 2011 at 23:15 | Report abuse |
  35. John N Florida

That government that governs least, governs best. Shove the law.

May 18, 2011 at 22:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. John

And if by some chance it passes, the already broke City will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars defending it in court, and eventually lose.

May 18, 2011 at 22:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Pip

OK, you can choose to be gay, but you can't choose to do something that is actually beneficial? SF really is a stupid place.

May 18, 2011 at 22:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Patrick

LOL! It must take a special skill to pack so much ignorance into one sentence. I dig through the ignorance to find...more ignorance! LOL!

May 18, 2011 at 22:44 | Report abuse |
  38. Rev Mkell,

Are they outlawing piercings also? Or just trying to run the Jews out of town?

May 18, 2011 at 22:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeff.

it's almost like they've forgotten about separation of church and state.

May 18, 2011 at 22:42 | Report abuse |
  39. Boruch N. Hoffinger

Will this also outlaw inoculations for anyone under 17?
    Will this also outlaw other operations related to health?
    The 'Bris Milah' goes back to Abraham and has profound spiritual meaning.
    Check it out on Google, Yahoo etc.

May 18, 2011 at 22:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. D Handler

Yeah, they should also not allow any kind of treatment for leukemia if the child isn't 17. It isn't the parent's right to decide such things.

May 18, 2011 at 22:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. John

And if by some chance it passes, the already broke City will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars defending it and will eventually lose.

May 18, 2011 at 22:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. clo

Its official: CA citizens are addicted to legislation. This proves it. Absurd.

May 18, 2011 at 22:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Chaz

Im pro-life. Abortion is a sick practice, much sicker than cutting some skin off a child. Life begins when the sperm reaches the egg. That is conception, when the genes from each parent combine to form a child. Where else would life begin than at the point where the genes combine? That is the very beginning of the life process. When God gives us a beatiful child, we should let him or her live. At least when they die they can go live with Jesus in heaven.

May 18, 2011 at 22:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Patrick

I know it is not a common practice in this country, but is there any law preventing female genital mutilation such as that practiced on infant and young girls in other cultures? I would guess not, given the premise of this article.

May 18, 2011 at 22:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Jeff.

I really don't see how this is the government's decision, but ok

May 18, 2011 at 22:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mason Myatt

The "government" in this case is not some alien, external, evil power. The government is the people! They are asking for the citizens to vote on the matter. Are our laws not the business of the people who live under them?

May 19, 2011 at 00:54 | Report abuse |
  46. Ron

I wouldn't touch this one with a 6 1/2 inch pole! 😉

May 18, 2011 at 22:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Glad I got mine nipped

I'm glad my parents made the decision to snip me even though I'm not Jewish. I'm glad I don't have to peel it back before I pee, glad I don't have to peel it back and get in there good when I shower. It looks better according to my wife, and if the ladies like it, I like it. And yes, I will have my son snipped too.

May 18, 2011 at 22:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Person

Before or after he says it's ok?

May 18, 2011 at 23:05 | Report abuse |
  48. James

Hey, don't touch my junk!!

May 18, 2011 at 22:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Person

Ok... this is MY body. If my parents were to take part of me off of me before I could make a decision about it, of course I wouldn't let it go and would absolutely not do it to any children that I might have. Whether it's an tiny flap of skin (yes that IS something that many people would like to keep), a sixth finger that someone might think I wouldn't like having, or my ears being pierced without my permission, all of these and more are things that I should be able to decide what to do with, not my parents. It's not the parent's body, it's the child's body that they would be changing; the least someone could do would be asking their kid what he/she would want to do. I might like to have my tongue split and my ears pierced at some time, but if I woke up and I was like that I would be angry. I would feel powerless over parts of my own body.

May 18, 2011 at 22:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • trace

Bet you wouldn't feel that way when the kids teased you about that sixth finger and you ran home crying to Mommy and Daddy about why they didn't have it chopped off right after you were born.

May 18, 2011 at 23:20 | Report abuse |
    • Person

I've had enough reasons to ignore people who only want to upset me since I was at least six or seven, thank you. I generally just ignore judgmental people, as I've been taught, because I wouldn't exactly benefit from taking people making fun of me personally. I'm not saying I've never had my feelings hurt, but if I had been born with a sixth finger I could have handled a few people who really should just be ignored. Being different from others is only a problem if you can't handle it.

May 18, 2011 at 23:34 | Report abuse |
  50. what a joke

The government should just take all our children after birth and raise them since they know what is best for them.

May 18, 2011 at 23:04 | Report abuse | Reply