home
RSS
Study: ADHD meds don't boost severe heart risks
May 16th, 2011

Study: ADHD meds don't boost severe heart risks

Children and teens who take medications for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder are no more likely to die from severe heart problems than those who do not take the medications, new research has found.

Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, along with co-authors from HealthCore Inc., noted that if a child is responding well to ADHD medicine, the benefit of the drug outweighs the risk of that child developing heart problems.

"These data provide reassurance that the thing most concerning – death – is not any higher in users of ADHD medications than non-users," says senior author Sean Hennessy, an associate professor of epidemiology at Penn. "For kids who will benefit from ADHD treatment, the potential risk of a cardiovascular event should not dissuade parents or caregivers from giving a child or adolescent these drugs."

Researchers looked at patient data in Medicaid records from five states (California, Florida, Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio) as well as in the HealthCore Integrated Research Database, which contains medical information for more than 44 million enrollees in Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans. Out of that data, more than 241,000 patients aged 3-17 who were on ADHD medications were tracked by looking at their health records. Investigators then compared rates of sudden death, heart attack, and stroke in patients taking ADHD medications with a control group made up of children and teens (more than 965,000) who were not taking medications, during a 609-day period.

Researchers found that of those children or teens taking ADHD medication, 28 had died, during that time frame, while 607 had died in the non-medicated group. They also noted there were no cases of heart attack or stroke in the group who were on ADHD medication, while there were 11 cases of cardiac events in the non-exposed group.

"The fact that the rates of cardiovascular events that could be identified were very low is of interest because at least we can tell that we do not have an epidemic of such events in kids receiving ADHD drugs," Hennessy says. "If ADHD medications were causing an epidemic of cardiovascular events, we would expect to see it in this study."

An estimated 2.7 million of all children in the United States ages 4 to 17 took ADHD medications in 2007, which is the most recent data available. After other studies had found that drugs designed to treat ADHD could lead to increased heart rate and blood pressure in children, these researchers wanted to explore a large database of patient records to see if patients who recently began taking ADHD medications appeared any more likely to suffer cardiac problems.

"This is one of first answers but it won't be the last," Hennessy says, adding that since 2007, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has been looking into the potential cardiovascular risks of ADHD medications on children. "Until the results of the FDA study become public, this study should provide reassurance to parent and caregivers that ADHD drugs are safe from cardiovascular perspective," noted Hennessy.

The study was funded by Shire, a manufacturer of ADHD medications. The study's sponsor approved the protocol, and had the right to provide non-binding written comments on a draft of the study manuscript.

1. CHANGE YOUR DIET CHANGE YOUR DIET!

My child almost died being put on adhd meds. Do you know what we did instead? After extensive research and help from a natural doctor, we found out that GLUTEN AND PROCESSED SUGARS caused his ADHD. We cut them out. He is now 100% better! NO LIE!

PLEASE CHANGE DIET FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It can save your child's life! :(.....

May 17, 2011 at 18:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Michael

Yes! I've had ADD my entire life. When I changed my diet in my early 20s, it was as if I was waking up from a very long dark dream. My life changed dramatically and I began to live a much more fulfilled life because I could think clearly and have sustained energy. Our bodies have not evolved to eat processed foods. People with ADD/ADHD are far more sensitive to diet than the rest of the population. Look up the Feingold Diet, read some books by Thom Hartmann on the Hunter-Farmer theory of ADD, and find your local health food store. It doesn't have to be a difficult task, but it takes a commitment to not take the easy path of taking meds. ADD/ADHD is not a disease or a pathology - it's a body/brain type.

May 17, 2011 at 19:19 | Report abuse |
    • Donna

We lived gluten free for 7 years from a misdiagnosis of celiac disease. The diet was no help for us in regards to our add/adhd, but I'm glad it worked for you. these adhd drugs are strong,rough stuff, esp on small bodies.

Donna whatieatiam.wordpress.com

May 18, 2011 at 13:23 | Report abuse |
  2. Chris

@ Change and Michael, You are so right. Their are so many alternative ways to deal with ADHD that your medical providers either dont know or wont tell you. I feel the pharmaceuatical companies are making it too lucratice and enticing, so instead of doing the right thing and investigating and trying small changes they just throw pills at them in the hopes that it will work. Great resources in your post Michael. Thank you.

May 18, 2011 at 13:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Dad

My 19 son and his friends are up all night and im worried they may ne using adhd medicine to do that. He said no they are just playing vedio games. How can I tell? What are the signs?

May 19, 2011 at 01:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Adderaller

@ Dad:

Your son would display symptoms such as shakiness in the hands, really cold hands/feet, acting more hyper or twitchy than usual...

The big tell is mental though, if he seems to be over-analyzing seemingly unimportant things (like talking for 20 minutes about why the sky is blue) or fixating/hyperfocusing on stimulating activities (like, we're talking 5 – 8+ straight hours of gaming when that isn't his normal behavior).

It can actually be really difficult to tell. The easiest way is to check the number of pills he has left, and when his last refill was.

May 26, 2011 at 11:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Mom

We have gone gluten-free, caisen-free, sugar-free, even lol taste-free. The gluten-free cleared up his skin and stomach problems, but he is still hyper and inattentive. I am glad to read this article because we are considering some use of meds. He needs to go to the dentist and things like that. He can't go the way he is now.

June 7, 2011 at 16:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Sam

I have had a very high blood pressure, with high I mean over 200, and I never noticed it, till I had to go for surgery because I had a knee injury with football. It turned out to be my heart and I needed to get a bypass because I had a narrowing after the main vain.. very scary but it turned out good.
    studentloansabc.com

September 22, 2011 at 13:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Chung Beesley

January 17, 2021 at 22:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Laquanda Procaccini

Good ¡V I should definitely pronounce, impressed with your website. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs as well as related info ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or anything, web site theme . a tones way for your customer to communicate. Excellent task..

January 21, 2021 at 01:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. German Naugler

January 28, 2021 at 22:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Gisele Stall

Have you seen the "Grandma Video: yet? I just finished watching it and it blew my socks off! It tells the story of how a 64 year-old grandmother stumbled across a breakthrough 3-step formula, that allowed her to pocket commissions from the internet her VERY FIRST WEEK! And the best part... If you want, you can plug into the exact same system for yourself and have everything up and running before you go to bed tonight. You're probably thinking something like: "This sounds a little too good to be true". And hey, that's totally fair if that's what you're thinking But don't you owe it to yourself to at least find out the truth? Just take a few minutes out of your day, and watch the "Grandma Video" for yourself... You'll see for yourself that it's everything I've told you and MUCH MUCH more! http://jtayl.me/4nw13

February 9, 2021 at 03:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. frolep rotrem

Hi, Neat post. There's a problem along with your web site in web explorer, might check this… IE still is the marketplace leader and a big portion of people will omit your wonderful writing due to this problem.

February 14, 2021 at 01:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. froleprotrem

Well I really enjoyed reading it. This post provided by you is very practical for accurate planning.

February 18, 2021 at 10:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. ยูฟ่าเบท

นักเสี่ยงดวงต่างคนก็ต้องการจะสนุกแล้วก็เพลิดเพลินกับการพนันบอลออนไลน์กันเพิ่มมากขึ้น ทำให้แปลงเป็นกิจกรรมอย่างหนึ่งที่นักเสี่ยงดวงเอ่ยถึงและมีกระแสติดตามอย่างมาก ทำให้คุณติดตามแล้วก็ลุ้นเกมพนันออนไลน์เป็นอย่างมาก จนถึงทำให้ในขณะนี้เหล่าสมาชิกแต่ละท่านที่เอ่ยถึงกับการรับมือการเดิมพันที่สร้างรายได้อีกทางหนึ่งกันเลย ยิ่งได้เดิมพันก็ยิ่งค้นหาข้อมูลต่างๆทำให้ใครๆไม่พลาดกับการติดตามเว็บไซต์ ยูฟ่าเบท กันเลยก็ว่าได้

February 18, 2021 at 23:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. frolep rotrem

Thank you for helping out, great info. "Considering how dangerous everything is, nothing is really very frightening." by Gertrude Stein.

February 19, 2021 at 04:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. weight loss chart

Outstanding post, I believe people should learn a lot from this web blog
    its really user genial. So much great information on here :
    D.

Also visit my web blog: weight loss chart

March 6, 2021 at 22:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. adhd pill

This information is worth everyone's attention. How can I find out more?

Stop by my web page :: adhd pill

March 6, 2021 at 23:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. magical pill

Some truly interesting information, well written and loosely user pleasant.

my homepage: magical pill

March 7, 2021 at 19:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Darwin Neuenschwande

Great tremendous things here. I?¦m very happy to see your post. Thank you a lot and i'm looking forward to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

March 24, 2021 at 15:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Shawn Paz

Wohh precisely what I was looking for, regards for posting.

March 24, 2021 at 19:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Alpha Simeona

Hi my friend! I want to say that this article is amazing, nice written and include almost all significant infos. I would like to see more posts like this.

March 25, 2021 at 08:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. ufabet

ufabet เว็บไซต์พนันออนไลน์ที่ให้บริการมากมายครบวงจร ตั้งแต่พนันบอล สล็อต บาคาร่า คาสิโนออนไลน์ เป็นเว็บไซต์ครบวงจรสำหรับนักพนันที่อยากลงทุน ตัวเว็บไซต์เป็นภาษาไทยใช้งานง่าย มีระบบระเบียบที่ปลอดภัย ใช้งานง่าย รวมทั้งเว็บไซต์ของพวกเราพร้อมให้ บริการ 24 ชั่วโมง ให้กับลูกค้า

March 28, 2021 at 23:02 | Report abuse | Reply