home
RSS
MTV's 'Teen Mom' stars on 'Dr. Drew'
"Teen Mom" Farrah Abraham reads Sophia's birthday card to her during the hit show's second season.
May 4th, 2011

MTV's 'Teen Mom' stars on 'Dr. Drew'

May 4 is the 10th annual National Day to Prevent Teen Pregnancy. And on that day about 1,000 teenage girls will give birth.

Warnings about the trials and tribulations that inevitably follow apparently aren’t enough to stop them - just ask Maci, Farrah and Catelynn.

They may be “stars” of MTV’s “Teen Mom," but the reality of their situation is this: They are children having children.

"Teen Mom" creator: Nothing glamorous about missing prom because of a collicky baby

Millions of viewers are drawn into the drama of the show and the lives of these young women. Their stories are so powerful, their situations so relatable, that schools and churches use them - for better or worse - as examples.

I’m pleased to welcome Maci, Farrah Catelynn and their cautionary tales to Dr. Drew" on Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET on HLN. We want to contribute to the dialogue about teen pregnancy. And we want you to do so too.

Contact us on Facebook with your comments and questions. And remember: Nothing is off limits. Nothing is taboo.

1. Melissa93

If everybody thinks that these shows glamorize teen pregnancy and are going to make it worse...then why are teen pregnancy statistics rapidly decreasing???

May 4, 2011 at 17:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lanfear

If I get pregnant, I'm getting an abortion. And I'm not even a teenager.

May 4, 2011 at 18:27 | Report abuse |
    • To Lanfear...

why not just get your tubes tied? If you're going to terminate a pregnancy anyway, might as well eliminate that option in your life. In the long run, getting your tubes tied would be more effective and less strain on your body not scraping out a fetus each time you do get pregnant.

May 5, 2011 at 09:56 | Report abuse |
    • April

This does seem to be the great debate...is this show indeed glamorizing teen pregnancy. From the coverage I have seen, it seems many teens say it does not, yet adults tend to disagree. I liken this to taking my five- year old to a animated movie. His understanding of some of the subtle adult overtones is limited: he only sees the movie through his limited vantage point. However, he is not aware of those things that he missed throughout the movie. Similarly, teens may think they get the whole picture (as we all did at that age), but I feel that they do not 'get' the whole picture and do not have the life experiences to actually understand the demands and burdens of parenthood until it happens to them, so while the show may claim that it is ' educating' the teens, it does not really have an audience that gets the whole picture.

May 5, 2011 at 11:41 | Report abuse |
    • JIM S

By paying these teen Moms tens of thousands of dollars and orchestrating drama........how can this be a deterrent to teen
      pregnancy? And teen pregnancies are NOT declining. Has become a farce rather than a message. Ratings become
      all important

August 18, 2011 at 08:42 | Report abuse |
  2. Alena

Take it from a mom who had children in her teenage years.. It's really hard. I've now been an adult for many years, but you don't get those careless days back. Not just in your teenage years, but in your early twenties too. I find myself annoyed with other people my age in my college. You have to grow up way too fast! Even my sister who is 5 years older than me annoys me. Being a dim witted teenager or early 20s college student would be much easier. If you are lucky like me you will have had children with your soul mate and marry him, but without him my life would be extremely lonely. Kicked out of my family at the age of 16. Married at 17. It really is a lonely life. Anyone you could relate to is 10 years older than you and you find that they don't want to relate to you simply because of your age. Especially during such hard times I cannot imagine being a teenager with a child now...

May 4, 2011 at 17:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LC

I want to say Thank You for having the baby and not aborting him/her as a matter of convenience. Times may be difficult for you but please know the blessing you have – a family and supportive soulmate. I'm sorry that your family was not supportive. My sister was a teen mom. I had my children when I was older (30's and 40's) There is a huge difference in the lives -education, advantages, patience- we've been able to give our children. We both love our kids but the poverty and isolation of her teenage motherhood took a terrible toll. Her girls are now repeating the cycle of teen motherhood maybe because they thought it was a way to escape. But it has been an escape "from frying pan to fire", living in shelters and low rent motels. TV should never glamorize how hard-scrabble this is for a teen mom and the kids who suffer deserve better from their parents.

May 4, 2011 at 18:15 | Report abuse |
    • 03mommy

I was the 'good girl' who got pregnant. I was only 17. Thankfully the father and I stayed together. Today we are married with 2 beautiful children. I cannot imagine life without them. When I was 19 at home with a sick baby my friends would still get to go out and have fun I would get upset. I would even consider them immature because they had no responsibilities. I did graduate high school on time and took my first semester of college. I couldn’t do everything though, so I stopped going to college and raised my oldest then we had our second. Now he is 4 almost 5, so I am ready to go back to school. I am 25 and feel like my kids are old enough I can go back to school. It’s hard though. I have to quit my full time job that I have been at since I was 18. My classes are 40 hours a week. Thankfully only for 1 year. Then I will have my LPN. It’s going to be financially and emotionally hard this next year, but I know I made the choice to have a child when I did. I can also relate to most of my friends being older. They are the ones who have children the same age as mine. I went along for my son's first grade field trip. I am positive I was the only in my 20's there.

herrsonic-You are beyond judgemental. I have worked for everything I have. I will continue working part time while going to school full time. My husband (he was 19 when I got pregnant) also works full time and will finish his Masters next semester. I started working at a large bank a month after I turned 18, so I could have benefits and an income. I have never lived off of the government or taken anything from anyone. My kids have never suffered because of my choices. We have boy scouts, soccer, swimming, camping, hikes, beach trips, bike rides, family game nights, a home cooked meal every night.

May 4, 2011 at 18:46 | Report abuse |
    • Person

LC – your description of the lives of your sister and her children do little to make me NOT want to get an abortion.

May 4, 2011 at 19:15 | Report abuse |
  3. herrsonic

White trash recycling trash.

May 4, 2011 at 17:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Lanfear

The ones who say this show "glamourizes" pregnancy are those who have never seen the show. Anyone I talk to that watches it, even my brother, said it freaks them out.
    Even if it were glamourized, is that against the law? Who cares? It's called common sense and free-will, USE IT!

May 4, 2011 at 18:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Ronald Shriveport

Why not have a show called "Teenage Abortion" and find a girl (in college, and enjoying life, preferably) and have her tell tell her story about getting pregnant, and getting an abortion? You can play it right after 16 and Pregnant

May 4, 2011 at 18:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. glassblock

LC, I hope you see the irony in your comment. In one breath you thank someone for having kids as a teenager and in the next you share just why someone shouldn't do that, and the toll it takes not only on the person, on their children, but on the rest of society...no reason to thank her; she made a personal choice. But we can certainly appreciate those who didn't make that choice and thank them as well.

"My sister was a teen mom. I had my children when I was older (30's and 40's) There is a huge difference in the lives -education, advantages, patience- we've been able to give our children. We both love our kids but the poverty and isolation of her teenage motherhood took a terrible toll. Her girls are now repeating the cycle of teen motherhood maybe because they thought it was a way to escape. But it has been an escape "from frying pan to fire", living in shelters and low rent motels. "

May 4, 2011 at 18:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Anna

I personally think Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant do a lot to decrease teenage pregnancy. They show that it IS hard, it ISN'T a walk in the park, and they won't be able to go on living like they were before they got pregnant. Bravo to MTV for letting teens see this.

May 4, 2011 at 18:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • pattysboi

Anna, I completely disagree with you. These shows (and I cannot abide either one of them) DO glamorize teenage pregnancy, and they are NOT doing a thing to "decrease teenage pregnancy".

May 4, 2011 at 21:26 | Report abuse |
  8. prophylactics

All parents should repeatedly educate their kids, boys and girls, about birth control starting at age 12 or so. Then make it very easy for their kids to obtain and use it at their discretion. Education works, abstinence does not. Always teach your girls that the answer to a guy's question "don't you trust me?" is ALWAYS "put this on". Accidents do happen, however, and options for those who are not ready to raise a child do include both abortion and adoption. Raising a kid you know you can't hurts both you and the kid.

May 4, 2011 at 19:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. heather

300,000 – 50% IN TAXES -lawyers – Accountants. it is still alot but not as much as it sounds. and alot girls in the south get boob jobs. like alot alot. still none of what they are showing is reality for most people. and alot of women in the south go backto thei pre-preg bodies. like alot alot. they just make sure they don't gain more than 15 pounds and wear tight bras and don't allow there their breasts to be stimulated to reduce the swelling. i think alot of what you are seeing is the difference in the south to the rest of the country.

May 4, 2011 at 19:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ser

what the hell are you talking about?????

May 5, 2011 at 12:26 | Report abuse |
  10. Adoption Critic

If people loved and supported all mothers, no matter what their age, then (1) young mothers would not forced to surrender their babies due to stigma against them, and (2) infertility rates would not be so high due to women waiting until too... late to try to conceive. There is a good reason why women are at their most fertile between 16 and 27 - that's when nature intended us to conceive. As you can see, I am against the stigma against young mothers.

There is no recent research that proves that teen motherhood is a negative thing, or that it ruins a woman's life. The "correlation" between teen pregnancy and poverty reflects the fact that women in areas with NO viable chance of a career, in impoverished areas/cultures/families, have babies at younger ages than those in affluent cultures/areas/families. It is a correlation and does not mean that having a baby while young will lead to poverty. I wrote a blog post called "The Truth About Teen Parenting" and it is at http://adoptioncritic.com/2010/04/16/the-truth-about-teen-parenting/. Let's support young mothers in raising their children, completing their education, and starting a successful career!

May 4, 2011 at 20:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • queenSupreme

Just because a person is PHYSICALLY ready to have a baby doesn't mean they are MENTALLY ready to have a baby.
      Heck, there are some adults who should never have kids because they are selfish and immature.

May 5, 2011 at 08:40 | Report abuse |
  11. SDMom

While MTV and Dr. Drew may claim that they don't glamourize teen pregnancy, they do. Chelsea Houska is from Vermillion, SD- where I live- and MTV is paying her $100,000 to tape her for the new Teen Mom (it's being taped right now). If MTV was trying to show how tough it is to be a teen mom, then they shouldn't be paying these girls as if they are celebs. It's hard for other teen moms, who are truly struggling, to see gilrs like this who are on TV, getting paid lots of money, while they can barely make ends meet.

May 4, 2011 at 20:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JKIZ

Wouldn't you take a $100,00 for your kid? In exchange they have their whole lives, embarrassment, guilt, and all shared with the whole world. You may see that as glamour, I see that as torture in exchange for money to raise my child. They're being resourceful just like any good mother would be.

May 4, 2011 at 21:38 | Report abuse |
    • queenSupreme

They should absolutely get paid for their story. HOWEVER it should be as college funds for their kids and not for plastic surgery and boob jobs for the moms.

May 5, 2011 at 08:41 | Report abuse |
    • jana

I've "heard" they get more like $400k for the season!!!! Ridiculous! And definitely 'glamorous' for a 16 year old!

May 8, 2011 at 22:03 | Report abuse |
  12. LC

The fact that you are all arguing over other people having children young and getting SO defensive about your comments not being fully agreed with is both ridiculous and amusing. Calm down, realize your opinion is not the only one, and grow up. Teen pregnancy is obviously difficult and yes, the public finds it interesting enough to watch regularly. You all need to chill out.

May 4, 2011 at 21:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. krizz karriuolo

Maybe they shouldnt be spreading thier legs at sixteen. not to mention all us guys want to do is bang any willing participant. shows how much girls make stupid decisions for "love." have fun tryin to raise your baby instead of having fun. and not to mention, why dont us guys get glorified in all this? we made the lil guys. not to mention the stress we go through to attempt to provide for the women during thier hard times.

May 5, 2011 at 01:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. DF

I feel girls have a way to protect themselves from becoming a parent...men on the otherhand don't. I wish you would do a show about the financial situation that these men deal with for 21 years and have no choices at all in the decision making process. I wish they would come up with a birth control pill for men. They are at the mercy of a condom and a girl's word and we know that girl's forget to take their pill for days but tell the guy they are on the pill. Not very effective. Well just equal time for an awful situation.

May 5, 2011 at 01:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. jmej

A

May 5, 2011 at 01:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Helen Brady

Dear Dr. Drew:

I have listened to all this information on "Teen Absentee Mothers" and I must say that it makes me furious that nothing is ever mentioned about the little boys that are making these babies. Why is it that the women are always to blame. I seriously think they should have classes for the boys as well as the girls. It takes two of them to make babies. I see these boys at the grocery stores with their girlfriends and babies loading up their carts with groceries when you know they are on welfare and they all have the EBT cards and food stamps. They seem to think that the more kids the more the money. They can even buy a candy bar and get $100. back on these cards. If you doubt me, check it out as I have seen it. Not only me but the people who are working in these stores namely Walmart being the biggest.

Why isn['t it a law that these little boys are responsible for supporting these babies. If needed start a camp for them to learn how to get a job, how to hold a job, how to keep their girlfriends from getting pregnant, etc. They are just as responsible as the girls. Crystal Palin received $250,000 for her little speeches on pregnancy and I see where she is on the news again, guess the money ran out. Do the girls really take her serious? I think not. She is a farce.

I will keep putting this message out on the boys and men that are causing this problem just as much as the women. It has always been this way. Parents can preach as long as they are able to speak but nothing will change until we make the culprits take responsibility for their actions. The boys seem to think it is a big joke just pass the girl onto the next one and so it goes.

Amen.

I would like to see something on your program that addresses this problem as it seems no one has the brains to do it.

May 5, 2011 at 10:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. MCpgh

I have to throw my personal opinion in here. I am a 26 year old female scientist in epidemiology who still couldn't handle the responsiblity these young girls have as mothers. I hope that young girls see these trials and tribulations and therefore weigh their options. I give so much credit to the girls who become teenage mothers and make something of themselves instead of make excuses.

May 5, 2011 at 16:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. sam

i am 28 have an 11yr. old daughter. I will agree that having grandparents support helped. Teen or not I had a responsibility. Her father and I are still together and still working hard as a family. I do not agree with this show. as a teen mother I don't think it would of even helped me then. These girls are still changing. To have cameras watching. I couldn't imagine. life changes at that age are hard enough then add a child. come on. Are they even living and learning or holding back for a show. I cherish my family and age or not I life would empty without them.

May 8, 2011 at 19:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. jana

Dr. Drew – Why aren't you talking about the insane amount of money these girls make from the show? Or the boob jobs, modeling contracts, fame, etc.? How much money did they make to go on YOUR show tonight?! Of course they all 'only went on the show to help other kids in their situation' – riiiiiiiiiiight! *rolls eyes* Very disappointed!

May 8, 2011 at 22:01 | Report abuse | Reply