home
RSS
Get Some Sleep: Daily headaches? How are you sleeping?
May 3rd, 2011

Get Some Sleep: Daily headaches? How are you sleeping?

Lisa Shives, M.D., is the founder of Northshore Sleep Medicine in Evanston, Illinois. She blogs on Tuesdays on The Chart. Read more from her at Dr. Lisa Shives’ Sleep Better Blog.
I have a patient who is a man in his mid-30s who had a headache almost every day of his life for the 10 years before he came to my clinic.  We found that he had significant sleep apnea and the treatment for it has been nothing short of a miracle for him.

Sleep apnea is the most common sleep disorder to present with a complaint of morning headache.  The International Classification of Headache Disorders now has a separate classification for sleep apnea headache.  By definition, the headache is present upon awakening and resolves on its own in 30 minutes or less, and is not better described by another headache disorder.

It has always been presumed that the headaches were caused by the low oxygen levels or high carbon dioxide levels associated with many cases of sleep apnea.  Some studies support this assumption, and other research does not.  Research is also inconclusive about whether treating sleep apnea resolves the headache.  Again, in my practice, I have seen good success.

Sleep apnea is not the only sleep disorder that is associated with increased frequency of headache.  Insomnia, restless legs syndrome (now called Ekbom isease), periodic limb movements, circadian rhythm disorders have all been associated with increased prevalence of headache as is insufficient sleep due to lifestyle choices.

These sleep disorders may cause or more likely exacerbate different types of headache such as migraine, tension headache, cluster and hypnic headache.

Cluster headaches occur in series for several weeks or months (cluster periods) and they have a circadian rhythm with most attacks awakening the patient from sleep.  The location of the pain is around or behind one eye and there is usually swelling, excessive tearing or redness.  There may also be nasal congestion and agitation.

Hypnic headache is a newly described headache syndrome that has been reported only in people older than 50.  It is marked by a dull headache that can vary in location but awakens the patient from sleep usually in the mid to latter portion of the night.  Hypnic headache is not associated with a specific sleep disorder and the prevalence of this type of headache is hard to estimate.

I wish every headache were as easy to cure as it was for my young man with chronic daily headaches.  In fact, in my experience, most of my patients who present with headache as one of the chief symptoms of their sleep disorder usually report a significant decrease in frequency and intensity once we have treated the sleep disorder.

Unfortunately, the research on headache and sleep disorders has often yielded conflicting results with some research  even  failing to show an increase in headache among suffers of sleep disorders much less success with treatment.

One thing is sure, if you suffer from chronic headaches, it is important to rule out any underlying sleep disorders and to optimize the quality and quantity of your sleep.  Sleep problems may not cause the headache, but poor sleep is a powerful trigger.

Post by:
Filed under: Sleep

1. Sleepez

Dr Oz recommends Lavender for insomnia and restless leg. I like http://www.sleepscentsations.com to help me relax easier and fall asleep better.

May 3, 2011 at 18:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • nina786

lavender?? hmm...wanna try it...:) thanks

May 4, 2011 at 09:11 | Report abuse |
  2. Cipher3113

I was just diagnosed with Cluster Headaches after a trip to the ER Sunday morning from recurring, severe headaches that have been waking me up for the past two weeks. The first thing I thought about was the possibility of sleep apnea causing these headaches (I've suspected for a while now that I have sleep apnea, but have not had tests to confirm it. I think snoring like a freight train is proof alone!)

In the coming months and years I hope there is a lot more light shed on linking major headaches with sleep apnea.

Excellent article.

May 3, 2011 at 20:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. WellnessDrive

I have trouble falling asleep or I wake easily to the slightest sound.
    Something that helps myself and others is Prime Dreamz which contains all-natural ingredients designed to help people fall quickly into a deep sleep and awaken feeling refreshed — not groggy and tired. @ WellnessDrive.com

May 4, 2011 at 12:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • UR Shameless

Nice plug for your product. I'm guessing that you are too cheap to pay for real advertising. Thanks for the heads up – I know where NOT to spend my money now.

May 18, 2011 at 09:06 | Report abuse |
  4. SoundGuy

Here's a great tip to help you reach a deep sleep, fast: listen to the sounds of nature using comfortable headphones and pay attention to every detail very, very carefully. Sounds of nature are flowing, but at the same time very random, so that you can't anticipate anything. This helps you to keep focused on the sounds, rather than wonder off with some other thoughts (conscious or unconscious), which might me preventing you from relaxing and thus falling asleep. Sites such as TranscendentalTones offer such sounds, which you can easily download to your mp3 player.

May 4, 2011 at 14:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. RaZZZ

I've suffered from poor sleep my entire life. My mother always mentions how as a baby I would never nap, while my sisters loved to. Now in my adult life I struggle with keeping a healthy, daily routine to ensure I get adequate sleep. Along my journey to find peaceful slumber, I have learned many useful tricks, as well as weeded out the useless ones. There's a great FREE ebook you can download called Get To Sleep Now! at http://instantlyfallasleep.com that lists many helpful techniques as well as things to avoid.
    Many people live fast and stimulating lives, but few of us take the time to unwind before bed. Stimulating activities you want to AVOID before bed are TV, reading, working, computer, stress/fights, and certain foods. The book will always suggest what is beneficial to do before bed, like writing, or talking.

May 6, 2011 at 07:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Donna McLellan

I have suffered from daily chronic headaches. I have been dx'd with Sleep apnea, Restless Legs Syndrome,. PLMD, and plain ol' fashioned insomnia. I use lots of relaxation techniques, but if the RLS is in full swing, then that goes out the window if I cannot sit or lay still. I moderate several online groups for sleep disorders, especially RLS, but we have a lot of people with sleep apnea also. There are a lot of things that can help. In my groups, we do not put much stock in the "soap in the bed" thing. I know lavender is very relaxing, but very few people actually get any help from bars of soap, which was what Dr. Oz was talking about. SOME people swear by it, so if it works for you, great! Most of my membersa have very severe RLS., so it takes a bit more than that to try and control it. There are meds that can help, and if you have RLS severely, it is a choice one has to make sometimes. It is that, or go crazy from sleep deprivation. And, just because something is "all natural" does not make it any safer to take without your doctor's permission and knowledge. I hope, too that some day that sleep apnea and headaches are linked, because it seems to me, the people who actually douse a CPAP every night do have less headaches. My biggest group has over 2400 people, so it is a widespread membership from all over, and really does represent a good look at a slice of the world of sleep deprived people. Good article!

May 10, 2011 at 18:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RoguePisigit

Donna, there is definitely a clear, well-established link between morning headaches and sleep apnea. And as a sleep tech, I can't count the number of patients I've had over the years who are blown away by how treating their apnea can treat their headaches. My husband had horrible morning headaches for years and actually developed a stomach ulcer from all of the NSAIDs he was taking every morning on an empty stomach. After finally beating him into submission and getting him tested and treated, he's definitely become a CPAP believer. It warms my heart to see so many people talking about how CPAP has changed their lives. Makes me feel like my job is worth it! =)

August 8, 2011 at 03:11 | Report abuse |
  7. Mike

I suffered from headaches almost daily for 30 years. Saw many specialists. Had surgery on my sinus. Nothing helped I woke with headache and have It all day. Medication simply dulled the pain. Nothing and no doctor helped. I carried out my own researched a decided that I may have sleep apnea. I underwent a sleep test and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I started using a cpap machine. That was two years ago and since I have been almost headache free. What an amazing change to my life!

July 31, 2011 at 08:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Drbnorce

Headaches are a common problem that can be triggered by many different factors, from stress to an undiagnosed spinal injury. If you suffer from headache, chiropractic can help! for more information on headaches feel free to visit our website http://www.applewaychiro.com

August 22, 2011 at 04:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. zortilo nrel

Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your website? My blog is in the exact same niche as yours and my users would certainly benefit from some of the information you present here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Thanks!

December 19, 2020 at 19:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. vreyro linomit

What i don't understood is in reality how you are no longer actually much more neatly-liked than you might be right now. You're very intelligent. You recognize thus significantly in relation to this subject, made me in my view believe it from so many numerous angles. Its like women and men don't seem to be involved except it’s one thing to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your own stuffs outstanding. Always handle it up!

January 25, 2021 at 00:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Boost Social Media Followers

After study a few of the weblog posts on your web site now, and I really like your method of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website checklist and will be checking again soon. Pls take a look at my web page as effectively and let me know what you think.

February 1, 2021 at 02:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. zortilonrel

Appreciating the dedication you put into your site and in depth information you offer. It's good to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same outdated rehashed material. Great read! I've saved your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

February 7, 2021 at 13:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. https://europa-road.eu/hu/treleres-gepszallitas-gyor.php

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the pictures on this blog loading? I'm trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

February 9, 2021 at 03:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Europa-Road Kft.

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say wonderful blog!

February 9, 2021 at 04:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. vreyrolinomit

I like this web blog very much, Its a real nice berth to read and incur info .

February 9, 2021 at 10:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. zortilonrel

I truly appreciate this post. I've been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thank you again!

February 20, 2021 at 23:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. https://topphimhot.net

Best view i have ever seen !

February 22, 2021 at 10:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. vreyrolinomit

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back in the future. All the best

February 26, 2021 at 09:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Brucelvz

Memes the when 2008

launch at contentmy subreddits

account limit personalized examination to positively r/memesuse these simple parameters compact your personal ultimate results :read the crawl charmlive reviews frequently asked questions to splashes.

results with captions could very well be got rid off by way of moderators foresight.

you expressing something lighthearted on twitter/tumblr/reddit/etc. is not a meme throughout this open public.

2. the MEMES being typical. completely no specialised home knowledge.

i beg you help topic general as an alternative distinct confidential activities. This makes content pieces whole lot more relatable. in this instance zero selfies, text message screenshots, quite floors, chats, emails, or anything else,.,and so. typically contribution "memes" Of you or family IRL. never a creepshots often.

3. with no SPAM/WATERMARKS, merely CHAINPOSTING/SPLIT positions, virtually no unmarked NSFW

don't useless posts the foregoing below. connecting your social content, or alternatively bombarding ties along with watermarked bring about a ban

basically no maybe blog posts moreover the middle in your other great members.

posts that is related to getting forbidden nor which included a post far from most subreddit might be removed and then foreclosures ban.

5 to a smaller amount of items every day, make sure to.

label NSFW writes mortgage loan as well as the actual generally simply being flourished.

completely no watermarks or shilling your YouTube superstar.

please do not troll, frighten, or why not be mainly rude to your fellow shoppers. never contribution raid message campaigns or simply welcome other businesses to allow them to a water surge junk mail an additional rrnternet site subreddit. make statements city and be sincere of your fellow online surfers. put on job hurtful or even a bigoted memes. those people work someplace else. racial and consequently bigoted memes, nuisance, and then raiding opposite subreddits/sites leaner, better-shaped a permanent ban at moderators discernment.

February 28, 2021 at 08:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. zortilonrel

I love what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work and reporting! Keep up the superb works guys I've incorporated you guys to our blogroll.

March 21, 2021 at 13:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. LorenaBlairjar

How to observe online without cable

"90 Day fiance-to-be" Is airing a chapter with a spotlight on Nicole and Azan on Friday. The show will go over to the history of the couple, Focusing on both the ups and downs of their relationship over time.How to watch '90 Day Fiance' without cableIf you're a cord cutter or might not have cable, you will live stream "90 plenty of fish dating site Day fiance" On the following following streaming platforms:Fubo shows (sample of)Hulu (demo version)Sling TVWhat direct is TLC?utilize the channel finder on your provider's website to locate it: verizon prepaid Fios, AT U saying, Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum/Charter, Optimum/Altice, direct tv, serving.just what is '90 Day Fiance' about?based on TLC's official website: Getting through customs is only the beginning. that includes just 90 days to wed on a fianc visa, Follow global marketplace couples as they attempt to overcome cultural barriers and family drama while in search of true love that knows no borders. "90 Day husband to be" Offers a unique check out the world of international dating and matrimony. To live with their overseas partners the very first time. The newlyweds must marry before their visas expire in 90 days, Or the visiting partner has to return home. grime. 2020 advancement Local Media LLC. The material here may not be reproduced, marketed, transmitted, Cached or cold used, Except with the prior written concur of Advance Local.

March 29, 2021 at 00:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. LorenaBlairjar

Eight dating places for you to select

Many couples invite additional to cultivate their feelings during the upcoming Christmas season, But there are often some guys who don know where to take girls to date to enhance their relationship. right away, I like to tell you about several dating places and bring her to feel the warmth and warmth of the winter. where to search on a Christmas date?

the best on a Christmas date? At christmas time, Every cafe will be dressed to look bright and full of emotional appeal. The restaurant is the absolute right place for you to date, Where get ready to experience the romance and feel the warmth of love.

How exciting and exciting it was when you and Ta were together to hear the first the holiday season bell. So the square is where for you to date on Christmas day, And it will have lots of couples there to pray together, And everyone will be witness to one another love.

Home is a home to go back to your happiness, How can the outdoor cold holidays Eve, when compared with the warm nest at home can be romantic happiness, DIY dinner earns more new idea, give out Ta flavor of life.

Is it more creative to spend the night in the theater when other couples are off the mark, watching for Christmas bells in the church, Or enjoying a candlelit dinner?

The the yuletide season bell ring, put on cherry red hat, put on snow boots, Surround you knitted lover scarf, wondering is infinite romance! Sweet advance: Skiing is the most hug chance. If you should be a little intimidated, You must be worried about your protection!

the holidays is the birthday of Jesus Christ, Many church will have some activities and party on Christmas Eve, are going to be a very romantic atmosphere, Very to suit a date, So style a church around you, You also don need to bother about Christmas date good where to go, Just go to church back with her. The church is a very desirable spot for girls to get married, And you can have a rehearsal on a date, And the relationship is going to be great! where to search on a Christmas date, The church ought not to be missed.

The gemstone is a place where girls love to go, specially the ferris wheel, And many girls may have a special feeling inside regards to ferris wheel. The ferris wheel is the place that can capture most woman heart, Imagine you and your household love fills up the nearest place to enjoy together the beautiful scenery is how romantic thing, Is likely to end up so romantic atmosphere, You could have great results in hand!

If she likes sports a whole lot of, Can take her to play tennis together, Buy a good badminton racket, Run a badminton court request card. generally can eat first, After a meal to go to play tennis, in order to, in addition to some the badminton, afro romance review Go to also can do many other sports, Best can be done double oh, Such as table tennis, such as running, Cycling and so forth, for example, works to promote emotion between you.

April 1, 2021 at 11:01 | Report abuse | Reply