home
RSS
What the Yuck: Does blotting pizza save calories?
April 29th, 2011

What the Yuck: Does blotting pizza save calories?

Q: How many calories do you save blotting pizza with a napkin?

You are probably cutting 20 to 50 calories a piece - not a whole lot, but I guess if you have a couple of slices, it adds up. So if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Other ways to skinny up your pie: Ask the pizza guy to cut it into 10 or even 12 slices (each piece will have fewer calories and less fat), and start with a salad so you aren't famished by the time you open up that box. Also, order whole wheat or thin crust, avoid fatty toppings like sausage or pepperoni, and go for veggies like peppers or mushrooms instead. And, of course, if you skip the cheese, you'll cut out a whole lot of calories and saturated fat.

But call me old-fashioned: It's just not pizza without any cheese.

Copyright Health Magazine 2011

1. dballing

Cut it into thinner slices? Are you kidding me?

Dr. Raj, maybe you don't know this but if a slice is 1/2 the size it used to be, it's going to take twice as many slices to fill you up. Resulting in a net-zero change in calorie intake.

April 29, 2011 at 09:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • oompaloompa

That is not what he is saying. He is saying if you have 3 pieces of pizza, you should still have 3 pieces but they will be slightly smaller. Dieting is all about control and using techniques to feel full and eat less calories. Water intake is always asked to be increased along with a healthy appetizer before meals.

April 29, 2011 at 10:19 | Report abuse |
    • TreeTop

I agree with you dballing. Most people don't eat a set number of slices – they eat until they think they're full. People need to practice to cut down on portion sizes, and eating smaller slices isn't going to have much of an effect if the eater already has a problem with portion control. At least blotting cuts out some of the calories without a significant change in the amount of food consumed.

April 29, 2011 at 10:35 | Report abuse |
    • Jujubeans

Quit trying to make pizza healthy. You eat it because it tastes good!

April 29, 2011 at 10:49 | Report abuse |
    • fred

@oompaloompa – Obviously you are not very good at math. 2 skinny slices does not add up to two full slices. It is less. If it takes 2 full slices to fill you up, then eat 2. If you eat 2 (or even 3) skinny slices with less overall volume of food, you will be snacking on other crap food soon.

April 29, 2011 at 11:46 | Report abuse |
    • displeased

Fred and dballing, the idea of using smaller slices is to trick your mind. You already have a preconception that it will take two full slices to fill you up. But if the slices are smaller, then your body may realize it doesn't need the other two smaller slices. Or you may be satisfied grabbing the third smaller slice and not the fourth slice. Either way it's still cutting back. It works for some people.

April 29, 2011 at 12:30 | Report abuse |
    • Lauren

There is a logic behind it. Let's say you actually only need one and a half regular-sized slices of pizza to be full. Smaller slices means that you don't round up to the two regular-sized slices. Instead, you can just have three of the half-sized slices.

April 29, 2011 at 12:41 | Report abuse |
    • displeased

Another trick is to eat slower. It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to tell your stomach it's full. Eat your two slices of pizza, then slow down, spend some time talking or distracting yourself, and then you may find you are actually satisfied and can save the remaining slices for leftovers. Sometimes you have to let your stomach know who's the boss.

April 29, 2011 at 14:33 | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

Well, it does work, if you do it right.

If I'm having pizza, and I'm feeling particularly health oriented, I'll have the pizza cut in squares, use a small plate, fill half of it with veggies (carrot sticks, fresh broccoli) or fruit, and the other half with pizza, and drink water. If I have seconds, I refill the plate with half fruit and veggies, or maybe have a plate with just fruit and veggies between slices. It does significantly cut down on the amount I eat, but it has to be done in combination (small slices, filling low calories food, water instead of pop) to work.

And, to the other poster, characterizing any group of people as "fat and disgusting" just demonstrates that you're a low life, and is in no way productive in this conversation.

April 29, 2011 at 22:14 | Report abuse |
    • Eric

basically this post sums up what is wrong with america so thanks debaggin. You shouldn't eat until you are full you should eat until you have enough calories and nutrients to keep you going. Humans have followed that rule in other countries for thousands of year and they aren't nearly as disgusting as most americans. Drink water, eat less than 2000 calories since most people don't do anything but sit on their ars anyways, and stop eating so much starch. Oh but i feel so tired if I eat that "little". That is because your body wants to get as much starch as its used to its like an addiction and the FDA has been feeding us the bread BS for decades now and it has had a terrible result.

April 30, 2011 at 00:03 | Report abuse |
    • Brainiac5

The point is not to quit eating pizza. Just don't eat as much of it, as often. If you can't control yourself without over eating it, don't get it. It's that simple.

April 30, 2011 at 05:51 | Report abuse |
    • arm53

Why bother. Pizza is to be enjoyed.

Have a piece of dry toast with a celery stick.

April 30, 2011 at 11:27 | Report abuse |
    • diridi

If you have to eat pizza once in a while, just eat nicely...o.k, then Exercise...don't kill your desire, we only live once...Pizza will never kill...just exercise when you eat....o.k...simple, I love pizza, sour cream, peanut butter, corn...well, one has grease, the other carbohydrate...what to do...do not kill your desire, just enjoy the food...treadmill at a later time...simple...or walk in your yard, or area....

April 30, 2011 at 15:58 | Report abuse |
    • alcoholthenarcoticDOTorg

If you people used turkey pepperoni and/or turkey sausage instead you'd not have to "blot" at all...

May 1, 2011 at 11:53 | Report abuse |
  2. jmrdel

The TV show "Food Detectives" on the Food Network did a piece on pizza blotting, and found that the amount of fat and calories was significantly reduced.

April 29, 2011 at 09:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brainiac5

yeah, and that show is really "scientific"

April 30, 2011 at 05:51 | Report abuse |
  3. JayMo

I always thought it was done to soak up the grease and cut down on the fat factor. I don't care about the calories, I care about the piles of grease and fat on each piece. Some pizzas have a pool of it on each slice, that's why I "blot".

April 29, 2011 at 09:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • BioHzrd420

Cutting down on fat factor = cutting calories

April 29, 2011 at 10:24 | Report abuse |
    • kirstyloo

Yes. I blot to decrease the fat content. While I do care about calories, I care more about the saturated fat that oozes out on top of the pizza. If you dropped the fat calories by 50, that would result in the loss of over 6 grams of fat. While it's unlikely to cause weigh loss, the fat loss is not bad.

April 29, 2011 at 10:46 | Report abuse |
    • ser

blotting the grease helps me cut down on the diarrhea factor....heyoooooooooooooo

April 29, 2011 at 12:12 | Report abuse |
    • charles s

A gram of fat has about 9 calories. So 50 calories is equal to about 5.5 grams of fat. Seems like it is worthwhile, I will try it next time.

April 29, 2011 at 16:45 | Report abuse |
    • JuanitaBeasley

I agree. I care about calories, too. But who wants to eat all that saturated fat? Overly greasy food doesn't taste good to me, anyway.

April 29, 2011 at 17:57 | Report abuse |
  4. Diana

Yeah I agree. What's the point of a pizza if there's no cheese!? If you really want to make a healthy pie, make one at home with whole wheat dough, part skim cheese and lots of fresh veggies. Mmmm. I'm using my new pizza stone for the first time this weekend. Wish me luck!

April 29, 2011 at 09:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • TreeTop

You can also make pizza at home for a fraction of the cost of take-out pizza, and it usually tastes better.

April 29, 2011 at 10:32 | Report abuse |
    • Makeurownpie

Diana, you'll love the stone. We use ours all the time. I used whole wheat dough and low fat cheese. I also make my own sauce – I'll make a large pot of it and freeze the rest for future pizzas. The money savings is okay, but not significant really. My teenage daughter prefers my pizza to any pizza place's pie.

I hope that it comes out great. Enjoy!

PS....Let the dough rise for at least 90 minutes and really flour your hands, the stone, and a little on the dough so that it won't stick.

April 29, 2011 at 13:51 | Report abuse |
  5. mik

A slice of pizza is between 3-500 calories depending on dough/cheese/toppings etc, potentially pulling 50 or so calories off of a slice isn't a small thing. Some toppings (like pepperoni) are greasier than say a mushroom, so IMO, it would seem that some pizzas will have more grease to blot off than other pies.

April 29, 2011 at 10:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • John

You mean every pizza in the world isn't exactly the same?? Wow...

April 29, 2011 at 11:25 | Report abuse |
  6. Sick

Latest study: Nixing the dough, cheese, sauce, peperoni, sausage and leaving the vegetables significantly reduces the fat content making it an even healthier pizza.

April 29, 2011 at 10:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • BioHzrd420

Then it's not a pizza...it's a salad

April 29, 2011 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
    • Sick
      April 29, 2011 at 10:27 | Report abuse |
    • TruthandJustice

Fat is not unhealthy, except trans fats, but trans fats are man-made and not naturally occurring, so they don't really count. A low fat diet is just about the worst possible diet you could be on, other than perhaps a high-sugar diet.

April 29, 2011 at 18:47 | Report abuse |
    • Blonde Student

Sick, I got it, lol.

April 29, 2011 at 21:29 | Report abuse |
  7. angelaD

But fat, grease, oil has a huge amount of calories, almost double the amount carbohydrates or protein do (per serving).

April 29, 2011 at 10:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. TreeTop

I actually heard that eating a thicker crust pizza is better than a thin crust, because you're filling up on more bread rather than more cheese and greasy toppings with the thin crust variety. You'll eat less slices with a thick crust, so you'll consume less toppings in the end.

April 29, 2011 at 10:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • kirstyloo

I think that really depends on the pizza. Many pan pizzas actually have a lot of fat/oil in the crust. Also most crusts are just empty calories.

April 29, 2011 at 10:48 | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Eating a thicker crust pizza isn't better for you if you have high blood sugar.

April 29, 2011 at 11:13 | Report abuse |
  9. jay

arrghhhhhh

No cheese, no sausage, no pepperoni, no fun... well at least you're not likely to over eat without the good ingredients.

April 29, 2011 at 10:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. The_Mick

The pizzas I order generally do not have enough fat oozing along the top to make blotting worthwhile and the same appears true in the photo accompanying this story. You're more likely to get cheese sticking to the paper towel. My guess is that pepperoni (which I don't tend to get) and some other meat products may produce a lot of grease, but you might consider ordering other toppings.

April 29, 2011 at 10:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • D

Growing up in NYC, I used to fold the slice and turn it upside down for around 30 seconds and just watch all the oil draining off the thing. I think it depends on how much fat is in the cheese that it is used. Whole milk cheese has a TON of fat.

April 29, 2011 at 18:31 | Report abuse |
  11. Brandon S

This article is absurd. If you don't want to load on a bunch of refined carb and saturated fat calories, don't eat pizza. This is so typical of American culture – I want to eat whatever I want, whenever I want, but I don't want any of the consequences of doing so. Come on people. If you don't want to be fat, stop being stupid and lazy and trade in the pizza pie for a homemade bean and quinoa bowl with some avocado. Problem solved.

April 29, 2011 at 10:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ally

I make my own pizzas with whole wheat crust, cheese and lots of fresh veggies. It's very likely the nutrition values of my version is similar to a bean and quinoa bowl with avocado.

April 29, 2011 at 12:38 | Report abuse |
    • dragonwife

I fail to see how eating an occasional pizza categorizes me as "fat and lazy". Yeah, if someone eats a whole pizza with "the works" several times a week, of course that's going to pack on the pounds. But simply eating 3 pieces of pizza maybe once every 2-3 months is hardly going to tip the balance toward obesity, no matter how it's made or what the toppings are. It's a person's OVERALL diet and lifestyle, along with genetics, that's going to determine how fat or thin that person will be, not the occasional high-calorie splurge food. So come down off the dietary high horse and allow us our small pleasures.

April 29, 2011 at 13:02 | Report abuse |
    • Fred Evil

"trade in the pizza pie for a homemade bean and quinoa bowl with some avocado."
      But I want to LIKE what I eat! I would certainly lose weight eating a 'bean and quinoa bowl,' because it would probably come right back up!

April 29, 2011 at 14:00 | Report abuse |
    • Brandon S is Dumb

There is more than one possible meal that you could eat and be healthy. One possibility is a healthy pizza that has been prepared without a lot of high-fat, low-nutrient ingredients. Or could eat the avocado thing you just mentioned if you feel like it.

PS
      I'm a hottie and a half, and American.

April 29, 2011 at 15:24 | Report abuse |
    • Herp Derp

because American cuisine is known to be fat filling and nasty right? Not like French cuisine that puts 2 sticks of butter into everything, is calorie dense, and directly influenced American cuisine right? It's just United States...

April 30, 2011 at 22:18 | Report abuse |
  12. Suzie

Order half the cheese. They always put too much cheese on and half the amount is usually the right amount anyway. Load up on the veggies, and cut out the fatty meats such as pepperoni and sausage.

April 29, 2011 at 11:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mark

So when I order extra cheese, just ask for half of the extra cheese? hahahahaha

April 29, 2011 at 11:13 | Report abuse |
    • Jay

Mmmmh...... let's see, take out the cheese and the pepperoni from a pizza. WHAT? then it would not be a pizza you Moronic Idiot.

April 29, 2011 at 11:17 | Report abuse |
    • fred

Please don't ask if you can "cut the cheese" in a restaurant!

April 29, 2011 at 11:48 | Report abuse |
    • ser

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 29, 2011 at 12:14 | Report abuse |
  13. HeyZeus

they-Took-R-jobz!

April 29, 2011 at 11:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lou

dey-duk-r-dur!

April 29, 2011 at 12:56 | Report abuse |
  14. Big Al

It's all about moderation and balance. On pizza night, I eat a meat covered pie until it hurts. But to balance it out; some healthy breakfasts, salads for lunches, soup for dinner later in the week. Really, it's not that difficult of a concept. Maybe next week it'll be a greasy burger from 5 guys and a bucket of fries, next night, salmon and veggies.

April 29, 2011 at 11:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • D

A small order of their fries is easily enough for 3 people.

April 29, 2011 at 18:33 | Report abuse |
  15. Curmodgeon

How To Eat Pizza AND Lose Weight

The secret is to buy the most tasteless, horrible frozen concoction you can find in the freezer section (those fancy-looking ones with the fake Italian family names that feature broccoli and fat-free cheese). Cook it too hot for too short a time, thus producing burned edges and a soggy, squishy middle. Take one bite, gag and throw the whole thing in the garbage.

April 29, 2011 at 11:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • iamthefredman

LOL !!!!

April 29, 2011 at 11:51 | Report abuse |
    • hahahahahaha

In that case, the box is far tastier, and actually has some fiber too.

April 30, 2011 at 18:08 | Report abuse |
  16. The Coffee Woman

heeheehee

April 29, 2011 at 12:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. The Coffee Woman

BTW, I can't wait till the "Saturated Fat Is Evil" craze is over. Follow the money!

April 29, 2011 at 12:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Buster Bloodvessel

Pending legislation about Second-hand Coffee will force coffee drinkers to go outside with the smokers next winter.

April 29, 2011 at 14:00 | Report abuse |
  18. me

How about you have whatever you darn well want to have on your pizza, and have as much as you want of it in that one meal, just don't eat pizza every freaking day. We treat ourselves every other week to our favorite pizza. And life goes on.

April 29, 2011 at 13:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. waitingforthesun

Keep the cheese but make it a veggie pizza. I like to make my own, then I know exactly what kind of calories are in it.

April 29, 2011 at 13:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. waitingforthesun

Sigh...there always has to be someone to bring in politics. Give it a rest already.

April 29, 2011 at 13:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Frank

Weak minded people can "trick" their mind. It's simple; burn more than what you eat. Done.

April 29, 2011 at 13:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Buster Bloodvessel

Frank, it isn't your mind that soaks up cholesterol. Trick your body by exercising regularly so it will save up the calories to burn daily, but reduce the fat BEFORE you eat it if you can. And it isn't your mind you're trying to trick, but your belly.

April 29, 2011 at 13:59 | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Buster Bloodvessel, what do you think burn more than what you eat means? If I eat 5 slices of delicious greasy pizza one day, the next day I go out on a 5 mile run to compensate for the extra intake. And by the way, you are in no position to offer advice here, you obviously did it all wrong Mr. Heart problems. Thanks though.

April 29, 2011 at 14:05 | Report abuse |
    • Emmaleah

Not everyone has a heart attack from being obese or eating too much fat. Some people have them for congenital or genetic reasons. There's nothing that says someone did anything 'wrong' b/c they had a heart attack.

April 29, 2011 at 21:10 | Report abuse |
    • scarls

You only burn about 100 calories for each mile you run, so a 5 mile run only cancels out 1 slice of pizza unless it is a really healthy one. But, I see no reason why people can't enjoy their favorite foods in moderation. And even eating a perfectly healthy diet won't save you from genetics. My uncle was a vegan and a runner and, while not overweight, developed high cholesterol. Cholesterol and heart problems run in the family. Another uncle (by marriage) is overweight and eats a high meat, high fat diet. His cholesterol is normal. Diet, while important, is not the only factor and people should stop simplifying it.

May 1, 2011 at 08:18 | Report abuse |
  22. Buster Bloodvessel

I had a heart attack, so I'm not supposed to eat it. So I just have one slice, but I enjoy it twice as much.

April 29, 2011 at 13:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Debbie

if you skip the cheese, it just isn't pizza, that's like no pizza sauce, who wants that??

April 29, 2011 at 14:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Tony

Another approach is to eat pizza less frequently. Then, when you do, you can pig out (e.g. sausage, pepperoni, green olives and extra cheese) Yum ;>( ). I like Lombardi's on Spring St, in Manhattan and Sam's in Dobb's Ferry N.Y. I never blot and I eat the whole thing! My cholesterol is only 165.

April 29, 2011 at 14:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. oh pleazza

one pizza – hold the pizza!
    (but i do admit to blotting unappetizing pools of grease on top)

April 29, 2011 at 15:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. MarkRH

I cut my pizza into six slices because I can't eat eight.

Thank you, thank you very much.

April 29, 2011 at 15:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. hoobie

Why doesn't anyone ever give advice on what to do with the blotted grease?

April 29, 2011 at 15:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • home cookin'

keep the greasy paper towels in a mason jar on the counter. then when you need to grease a baking pan or skillet you just pull one out and viola!

April 29, 2011 at 18:09 | Report abuse |
    • D

Can't you compost it?

April 29, 2011 at 18:36 | Report abuse |
    • dragonwife

The fat you blot is meat fat, and you shouldn't compost meat or meat by-products, or dairy. Veggies and all plant matter, yes, but the meat & dairy will spoil before breaking down and possibly contaminate the compost (not to mention attracting unwanted meat-eating critters).

April 29, 2011 at 19:07 | Report abuse |
  28. Wardenwhite

To MarkRH: I went to my uncles funeral today and seriously, your comment was the first thing that's made me laugh all day. Too frickin' funny!

April 29, 2011 at 16:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Kurt

I tell the pizza guy to just cut the pizza in half, then limit myself to two slices.

April 29, 2011 at 16:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JuanitaBeasley

LOL

April 29, 2011 at 17:52 | Report abuse |
    • hahahahahaha

Nice. : )

April 30, 2011 at 18:11 | Report abuse |
  30. Judge Dredd

Hi Raj,

I am the law, you are under arrest

Judge Dredd

April 29, 2011 at 17:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Judge Dredd

Pizza is against the law.

April 29, 2011 at 17:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • alberth

Brad,I think you're getting off uocrse with your last three blog posts. Your ESE program is so elegantly simple there is no reason to introduce all this fat as debt and calorie budget stuff. It's so simple, combine serious resistance training with your ESE version of intermittent fasting and forget about the rest. Do a weekly tape measure session and you immediately know if you're on track. I would even simplify the body measurements for those that need to lose 10 or more pounds. For guys, only measure the gut around the fattest part. For women, measure hips and thighs. For men and women, if your measurements are going down you're losing FAT, if they aren't going down, you're probably not losing fat.Brad I love your ESE and protein books as well as your free leptin presentations but I'm just not feeling your last three blog posts. But it's your blog and I do look forward to seeing what's on your mind anyway.

March 3, 2012 at 21:27 | Report abuse |
  32. victim of democrat hypocrisy

It's not so much the calories but the artery-clogging grease you're avoiding when you dab your pizza with a napkin.
    Go for it!

April 29, 2011 at 17:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Fatso

I am horrified by this article. Can you people please send me your blotted napkins so I can wring them out over my next pizza? Also, what's all this talk about slicing a pizza pie? What's wrong with simply folding the pie over and eating it that way? Also, pizzas are supposed to be laden with processed meat substances, not vegetables. The vegetables like mushrooms and olives are just there to add a little decoration, kind of like a sprig of parsley next to a 64 oz steak.

April 29, 2011 at 17:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. JuanitaBeasley

I know what I'm having for dinner tonight! You guys have made me hungry!

April 29, 2011 at 17:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Joe

Cutting it smaller only attempts to make you eat slower. This allows your stomach to catch up to your brain and tell you are full with less food. Eating too fast is one reason why you feel sick after you eat. Now if you are a healthy eater cutting the slice size will have no affect as it doesn't modify how much you are eating.

April 29, 2011 at 18:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Joe

The stock photo for this story is wrong. It should instead be a translucent grease-soaked napkin.

April 29, 2011 at 18:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Not_CLS88

I agree @Joe, they should have had cnn.com kick in the money for a greasy, meat-laden pizza (a medium-sized, even), blotted it it, taken a photo of the napkins and pizza, and then hey, free pizza!

April 29, 2011 at 19:28 | Report abuse |
  37. NA

MUSHROOMS ARE NOT VEGETABLES!!!!!!!!!!!

April 29, 2011 at 22:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ira Shlamazel

Idiot. Fungus is a vegetable. Why? Because it is not a mineral and it is not an animal. I am surprised you know how to read.
      So let's recap: NA is an idiot and quite possibly a fungus as well.

April 29, 2011 at 23:06 | Report abuse |
    • NA

So Ira, according to you any food that isn't a "mineral" or isn't meat is a vegetable? Then is cheese a vegetable? Sorry, but vegetables come from vegetation, from plants, fungi are not vegetables. They are edible fungus. The Dr. clearly made a silly mistake, listing mushrooms as a vegetable since they are relatively healthy, and seek grow from the ground.

April 30, 2011 at 20:23 | Report abuse |
  38. Jess

People need to be smarter with their eating. It takes something like 20 minutes for the brain to receive the signal that it is full. So I'll scarf down two pieces and then have a cigarette break to waste 15 minutes. By the time I return I'm full and remain healthy and skinny!

April 30, 2011 at 00:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • kyle

yes, because smoking is so much better for your arteries then an extra slice of pizza...(sarcasm)

April 30, 2011 at 06:33 | Report abuse |
  39. Brainiac5

If I'm going to eat pizza – and I don't very often, even though I love it – I eat the highest octane thin crust pizza I can get. Extra cheese, pepperoni & sausage. But I only eat two pieces.

April 30, 2011 at 05:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. studdmuffins

Eat a healthy portion rather than the whole pizza, regardless of toppings – problem solved.

April 30, 2011 at 06:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. EatingtoLiveorLivingtoEat

I haven't eaten pizza in years.

April 30, 2011 at 09:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. adr

I always blot the pizza to get rid of the fat and cholesterol in all that grease. Never worried a bit about the calories since I work out at the gym very hard every day. American's seem obsessed with dieting, yet they're still fat! Good grief, forget the diets and get your big fat behinds to the gym! Once you get a regular exercise routine in place, your body will not crave the wrong foods so much.

April 30, 2011 at 09:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. gd

We, Americans, are the most obese nation in the world, yet everybody likes to talk about diets and everyone is sooooo concerned about “proper nutrition”! it is ridiculous! Get real people! Eat less junk, eat only good food! Smaller portions! Don’t snack every 5 minutes! I knew this one lady who liked to talk about how she doesn’t eat any fat, yet she can’t lose weight. She was even going to a gym. Poor thing, she munched ALL DAY on NON FAT FOODS

April 30, 2011 at 13:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Phanny McPhats

People commenting in this collumn making fun of each other or the article itself are likely part of the 350lb club. In reading all these comments you could have done an 8 minute abs....

April 30, 2011 at 14:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Chef Louis

Precook pepperoni slices in the microwave for 30 seconds to extract the fat. Eliminates blotting.

April 30, 2011 at 16:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Fuyuko

Sadly, I just don't eat pizza. Its far too fattening. Wish I could, but everytime I do, It takes a while to lose the weight.

April 30, 2011 at 21:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. ElfOdin

9 a.m., and now I'm craving a pizza. These comments have made me hungry! Maybe I shouldn't have read so many of them, and cut-out the fatheads. 🙂

May 1, 2011 at 10:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. D

What an ignorant piece. That stuff is liquid cholesterol, and that's why everyone i know who blots it does so – to cut down on the cholesterol of the pizza, not the calories. Wow...

May 1, 2011 at 13:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Melissa

I've been eating my pizza without cheese for over twenty years – ever since I was diagnosed with a dairy allergy. I never actually thought about the fact that I'm having a healthier pizza because of it. Go me!

May 1, 2011 at 13:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Satya

Thanks for the comment.In rltncoloed studies, you enforce the lifestyle changes on the participants, like how many calories you consume in a day and how many of those calories come from fat. In real life, people will not adhere to the suggested lifestyle changes rather, they will see the pill as it's marketed, a diet pill, and rush to the pharmacies for a clinically proven weight-loss pill with no concern for caloric intake and maximum levels of fat consumption. Plus, there are no studies on the long-term effects, and I have not seen a suggested maximum duration of taking the pill. Blocking the body's fat consumption may have harmful effects that we can't foresee much better to just cut your caloric consumption instead.Besides that, as I pointed out, if you do the math the impact of the drug is pretty minimal. Don't get me wrong if this pill is a short-term catalyst for someone jump-starting a fit lifestyle, I celebrate and congratulate their choices. However, I sincerely doubt the majory of people trying alli use it in that manner. We'll have to see.

March 4, 2012 at 05:32 | Report abuse |
  50. Sypha821

Saturated fat is good for you. It is the dough in the pizza that isn't helping. Cut out the grains and your body utilizes the fat better.

May 1, 2011 at 15:26 | Report abuse | Reply